TOP 5 PUBLISHERS

MARVEL COMICS

Marvel says AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #38 is the last issue before "Gang War" starts. But the words "Gang War: First Strike!" are included in the blurb. Collecting comics is hard!

Valkyrie Jane Foster guest stars in AVENGERS INC #3.

CARNAGE #1 is another book I can safely ignore. 

INCREDIBLE HULK #6 guest stars the All-New, All-Old 100-year-old Zombie Ghost Rider.

The Incredible Hulk guest stars in SENSATIONAL SHE-HULK #2.

"Fall of X" continues in IMMORTAL X-MEN #17, INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #12, UNCANNY SPIDER-MAN #4 and WOLVERINE #39.

"Dark Droids" continues in STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #40 and STAR WARS: DARK DROIDS D-SQUAD #3.

X-MEN #141 FACSIMILE EDITION reprints "Days of Future Past" part one.

MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS: BATTLEWORLD #1 (OF 4)

Story: Tom Defalco | Art: Pat Olliffe | Cover: Giuseppe Camuncoli | Variants: Pat Olliffe, Francesco Mobili, Ryan Stegman, Todd Nauck, Sean Galloway, John Tyler Christopher, more | Teen+ | $4.99

12287778089?profile=RESIZE_400xNext month, Marvel Comics kicks off the 40th anniversary celebration of its original crossover event, Jim Shooter, Mike Zeck, and Bob Layton’s MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS, with an all-new series that takes place during the original saga: MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS: BATTLEWORLD!

The series returns to when Marvel’s greatest heroes and deadliest villains were pit against each other on Battleworld by the unbelievably powerful Beyonder. Industry icon Tom DeFalco, former Marvel Comics editor-in-chief and the editor of the original Secret Wars, teams up with acclaimed artist Pat Olliffe to expose this new Battleworld adventure starring Spider-Man and the Human Torch!

Today, fans can check out all the covers plus all-new interior artwork. Fitting seamlessly between the pages of the original series, MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS: BATTLEWORLD will take place after Spidey receives his iconic black alien costume that would one day become Venom! This new preview recaptures familiar Secret Wars moments and shows the beginning of Spidey and Human Torch’s secret mission.

MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS: BATTLEWORLD also holds answers to a 40-year old mystery with shocking appearances by characters that you didn’t even know fought in Secret Wars! As seen on the cover of MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS: BATTLEWORLD #2, villains like Baron Zemo, Hobgoblin, Electro, Constrictor, and more found their way onto Battleworld. What do these characters have in common? Fans know that MARVEL SUPER HEROES SECRET WARS didn’t just impact comic book storytelling, it launched a spectacular Marvel Comics toy line! The beloved Secret Wars toy line included various heroes and villains who didn’t make into the original event—until now! Learn what their roles were and stay tuned to future issues to see what other heroes and villains show up!

“Pat Olliffe and I were handed a daunting creative challenge,” DeFalco said. “We were asked to do a sequel/new tale of a classic Marvel story that first saw print 40 years ago and created ripples that are still felt throughout the universe today. Since we share a kinship with a certain web-swinger (and his family), we were also compelled to do a story that ripped to his core and defined his unique place in the Marvel Universe while examining the budding relationship with his new black costume. With the aid of editors Mark Basso and Drew Baumgartner, Pat and I constructed a tale that we believe has repercussions for today’s readers and creative ripples that we hope will still be felt 40 years from now.”

“Whether you never read SECRET WARS, or spent the '80s poring over the comics in between fighting with your Secret Wars figures and their Secret Shields … you’re going to come away from this adventure with a complete story and, if you are a longterm fan, an even greater understanding of the characters and stakes in this greatest of wars!” Editor Mark Basso added.

• Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars was a 12-issue advertisement for a toy line, and  quite obviously so. I see no need to re-visit it.

12164184085?profile=RESIZE_180x18012287779660?profile=RESIZE_180x18012287779676?profile=RESIZE_180x18012287779692?profile=RESIZE_180x18012198972263?profile=RESIZE_400x12198972100?profile=RESIZE_180x18012164184854?profile=RESIZE_180x18012287778900?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12198972673?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12287780067?profile=RESIZE_180x18012287779890?profile=RESIZE_180x18012287780652?profile=RESIZE_180x18012287780661?profile=RESIZE_180x180

CAPTAIN MARVEL #2

Story: Alyssa Wong | Art: Jan Bazaldua | Cover: Stephen Segovia | Teen+ | $4.99

12208330462?profile=RESIZE_400x12292696287?profile=RESIZE_180x180BOUND BY THE NEGA-BANDS! When cat burglar Yuna Yang set out to steal the legendary Nega-Bands, she was looking for a quick paycheck. What she got was a free ticket to the Negative Zone and permanent entanglement with Captain Marvel! Permanent until death, that is. And it doesn’t look like Yuna’s gonna make it to old age – not with new villain, the Omen, hot on her tail and hungry for the Bands’ power!

On the characters, Wong shared: “The Omen is a villain with corruptive magic, a mysterious connection to the Negative Zone, and the ability to devour energy. She's been looking forward to meeting Carol for a hot minute. Yuna Yang is a full-time college student and recreational cat burglar, morally flexible with a heart of... gold? Her hunt for the Nega-Bands leads her straight to Carol--and into trouble. I love a good reluctant team-up story. Pairing the leader of the Avengers with a casual, cheerful criminal leads to a fun dynamic and all kinds of shenanigans. As for the Omen... well, turns out Carol and Yuna's lives might intersect more than they think.”

• It looks like Carol Danvers is going to end up swapping places with a teenager, like both the Fawcett Captain Marvel and her predecessor, Mar-Vell. And from the aggressive PR, they may be setting up this Omen character as an important villain.

12292696471?profile=RESIZE_180x18012292696091?profile=RESIZE_180x18012292696496?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12208330081?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208330099?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DAREDEVIL: BLACK ARMOR #1 (OF 4)

Story: D.G. Chichester | Art: Netho Diaz | Cover: Mark Bagley | Variant: Rafael Grassetti

12183339655?profile=RESIZE_400x12183339499?profile=RESIZE_180x180Announced last month at San Diego Comic-Con, fans will get a chance to return to Matt Murdock’s armored up ‘90s days in DAREDEVIL: BLACK ARMOR! Written by D.G. Chichester and drawn by rising star artist Netho Diaz and JP Mayer, the four-issue limited series will take place during Chichester’s beloved run on the title. Remembered for epic storylines like “Last Rites” and “Fall From Grace,” Chichester’s run reintroduced Elektra to the Marvel Universe and suited up Matt Murdock in a sleek new armored costume. Now, witness a never-before-seen chapter of Daredevil that adds new depth and mystery to this fan-favorite era.

When civilians, heroes, and villains alike are disappearing into the dark depths of Hell’s Kitchen underground, Matt Murdock will need to push his extraordinary senses and his armored suit beyond their limits to find out who’s responsible. Throughout the saga, Daredevil will be pitted against a who’s who of Marvel’s deadliest villains including Hobgoblin, Sabretooth and more—all building towards an explosive confrontation with the mysterious evil that’s pulling all the strings! Matt’s armor will have to work overtime as the series delivers nonstop intense action and brutal fighting in extreme 90s’ fashion!

“If someone told me earlier that I’d have another chance to put on Daredevil’s horns (let alone horns attached to a suit of black armor) I’d have thought they’d taken one too many whacks to the head with a billy club. But apparently my passport to Hell’s Kitchen still works just fine!” Chichester said. “It’s an unexpected (but welcome!) thrill to visit Matt Murdock’s neighborhood again, and to work with Marvel on going back in time to discover a new adventure for the man without fear.

“The Daredevil office has been incredibly encouraging in taking some wild swings with this series,” Chichester continued. “Returning to Matt and Daredevil and that costume where I left them — as the writer I am now — has been an amazing experience. It's knowing how to jump off a rooftop — but accepting the challenge that you don't always know where you're going to land. I hope fans of my Fall From Grace and Fall of the Kingpin stories find more to enjoy in my take on hyper senses and heightened action — especially seen in an entirely new way thanks to the dynamite art and visual storytelling of Netho Diaz and JP Mayer.”

• Why does Marvel want to remind me of that atrocity of an outfit? Or the '90s in general?

DC COMICS

BATMAN HARLEY AND IVY TP (2023 EDITION) collects Batman: Harley and Ivy #1-3, Batman Adventures Annual #1, Batman Adventures Holiday Special #1, Batman and Robin Adventures #8 and Batgirl Adventures #1, plus stories from Batman: Gotham Knights #14 and Batman: Black & White #3, all in the style of Batman: The Animated Series.

CATWOMAN #59 starts a new storyline, "Nine Lives," in which Selina Kyle takes on nine deadly missions. Evidently, she left the city after the events of "Gotham War."

GREEN LANTERN KYLE RAYNER RISING COMPENDIUM TP collects Green Lantern #0, #48-65; R.E.B.E.L.S. '94 #1; New Titans #116-117, #124-125; Guy Gardner: Warrior #27-28; Darkstars #34; and Damage #16.

TITANS: BEAST WORLD — EVOLUTION #1 (ONE-SHOT) is the first book with the Beast World trade dress, but doesn't launch the crossover. It's a reprint of Teen Titans #5, Tales of the New Teen Titans #3 and a story from Action Comics #1051.

BATMAN: OFFWORLD #1 (OF 6)

Story: Jason Aaron | Art/Cover: Doug Mahnke | $3.99

12291667063?profile=RESIZE_180x18012291667261?profile=RESIZE_180x18012291667271?profile=RESIZE_180x180A routine night in Gotham City for a young Batman proves to be anything but routine when the crime-fighter is confronted with a sort of foe he's never faced before--one from beyond the stars! A universe of possible alien threats leads Batman to make a daring decision — to venture alone into the far reaches of the cosmos for the very first time, where the Dark Knight will face the fight of his life! Superstar writer Jason Aaron delivers his first Batman story ever, partnered with blockbuster artist Doug Mahnke for a unique, brutal tale!

• Interesting premise. Tradewaiting.
  • How come when aliens have face horns they never look practical? The horns on the alien on cover A look like a liability in combat. Horns that pointed forward, however, would be formidable.

12293672700?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293672900?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293673272?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293673280?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293673655?profile=RESIZE_180x180

SANDMAN MORPHEUS HELM EDITION VOLS. 1-6 HC

Story: Neil Gaiman | Art: Various | $500.00

12291667679?profile=RESIZE_180x18012291667482?profile=RESIZE_400xNew York Times bestselling author Neil Gaiman's comics masterpiece, The Sandman, is regarded as one of the greatest graphic novels of all time. It has won numerous literary awards, been adapted into an Audible audio drama, and most recently premiered as a highly acclaimed Netflix live-action show. This highly imaginative and thought-provoking series has endeared itself to fantasy and comics fans worldwide. Now you can own a piece of the Dreaming in the waking world with this Masterpiece Edition book set, comprising six exclusive leather-bound, foil-embossed hardcovers and a custom sculpted book stand resembling Morpheus's helm. These six volumes collect stories from the entire Sandman saga — including The Sandman #1-75, the comics and prose editions of The Sandman: The Dream Hunters, The Sandman: Endless Nights and The Sandman: Overture. They are designed to fit perfectly in the intricately carved book stand that features a highly detailed bone snout and riveted exterior. Also included is a set of art prints from legendary illustrator Michael Wm. Kaluta and an original piece of epistolary fiction from the world of The Sandman — written by Neil Gaiman himself, and exclusive to this set! The Masterpiece Edition book set and stand is the perfect way to display these treasured DC volumes and is the ultimate gift for fans of The Sandman.

• Will a hunk of cheap plastic make me buy The Sandman again? I don't know! Maybe!

IMAGE COMICS

Local Comic Shop Day offerings include LCSD 2023 BLACK SCIENCE #1 10TH ANNV DLX ED, LCSD 2023 UNIVERSAL MONSTERS DRACULA #1 CONNECTING VAR and LCSD 2023 UNIVERSAL MONSTERS DRACULA #2 CONNECTING VAR.

THE HOLY ROLLER #1

Story: Rick Remender | Art/Cover: Roland Boschi | $3.99

12158927863?profile=RESIZE_400xComedian Andy Samberg (SNL, Palm Springs) and Fall Out Boy's Joe Trohman join Rick Remender (Deadly Class, The Scumbag, LOW, The Sacrificers) and fan-favorite artist Roland Boschi (The Scumbag, Wolverine) for the upcoming series The Holy Roller. This bowling-themed bonanza will strike this November from Image Comics as part of the ever-growing Giant Generator Studios line.

The Holy Roller is a tale of a trick-bowling-ball-wielding vigilante battling to liberate his home by bowling the perfect game — against evil! Kingpin meets Inglourious Basterds meets Batman (that old chestnut) with equal parts action and humor, and a special introductory issue featuring 42 pages of story — two issues’ worth of content for the price of one.

“If you have ever found yourself wondering, ‘Why is there no comic book about a vigilante hero who smashes people's faces in with a bowling ball?’ you are in LUCK, bruv!" said Samberg.

To care for his ailing father, pro-bowler Levi Coen is forced to quit his dream job and return to his hometown, which he soon discovers has been overrun by Neo-Nazis! With only his bowling ball collection to defend himself, Levi becomes THE HOLY ROLLER!

“Sometimes the best stories start off as silly, over-the-top ideas that after a little while become clear to everyone in the room are actually great. This is one of those,” said Remender. “This is a hilarious and poignant story, full of big action, and told from a place of real passion.”

Trohman added: “This is an intensely personal book that will resonate with all. A hyper-stylized yarn, but informed by the bleak reality we’ve all come to know. It’s also your one-stop-shop for a bad-ass Jewish guy kicking, punching, and bowling-balling Neo-Nazis into oblivion!”

The Holy Roller debut will also feature an impressive lineup of variant covers by such top talent artists as: J.H. Williams III, Brett Parson, Keron Grant, Brian Level, Mike Hawthorne, and Rafael Albuquerque.

• Do you think he'll team up with Mystery Men's The Bowler? I'd love to see Janeane Garofolo again.
  • Note the Judge Dredd #1 homage cover. 
  • Here's a PREVIEW,

12158925883?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12158927899?profile=RESIZE_180x18012158941459?profile=RESIZE_180x180

MANIFEST DESTINY DELUXE EDITION BOOK ONE HC

Story: Chris Dingess | Art: Tony Akins, Stefano Gaudiano, Owen Gieni | Art/Cover: Matthew Roberts | $59.99

10994070662?profile=RESIZE_710x

In celebration of its 10th anniversary, today Skybound announced the Manifest Destiny Book 1 Deluxe Hardcover, a 500+-page collection of the groundbreaking series from the superstar team of creator/writer Chris Dingess (Marvel’s Agent Carter, TV’s Doom Patrol), artist Matthew Roberts (Battle Pope), colorist Owen Gieni (Rat Queens), and letterer Pat Brosseau (Creepshow). The hardcover will be available everywhere books are sold in November 2023. 

This deluxe hardcover collects the first 24 issues, along with covers and sketchbook, for the definitive presentation of the entire Manifest Destiny series, with a Book 2 Deluxe Hardcover also coming in 2024. 

In 1804, Captain Meriwether Lewis and Captain William Clark set out on an expedition to explore the unchartered American frontier so their great nation could fulfill its destiny. This is the untold story of what they discovered lurking in the wilds. 

"After spending a decade on this book with the stellar crew of Matt, Owen and Pat, I can honestly say it was the journey of a lifetime,” said Chris Dingess. It was an honor to work with Robert, David, Sean and the team at Skybound and a real deal, super-serious dream come true to have them present Manifest Destiny in this Hardcover Edition. I hope readers have as tremendous an adventure on the trail as we had blazing it."

“I love this book and working with this team for the past decade has been amazing,” said Matthew Roberts. “As an artist, being presented with such confident and compelling scripts from Chris and then being given the freedom to take risks and follow impulses as I draw is a dream. Then to know that I’ve got Owen, one of the most dazzling colorists in the game, coming in behind me? And THEN we have Pat on letters to tie it all together? Crazy. I love what we all were able to pull off. It's a great story and I'm thrilled to see it all together and get the big fancy hardcover treatment."

When the series debuted with issue #1 on November 13, 2013, Chris Dingess and Matthew Roberts began to tell an action-adventure epic of a new monster birthed right in the heart of America. Manifest Destiny brought Lewis and Clark’s expedition to its blood-soaked conclusion at the end of 2022 after a historic nearly decade-long run, and now fans can celebrate the 10th anniversary and own a definitive piece of the series that created an alternate history of the United States. 

• I never read any of this, Legionnaires. Is it time to start, with these convenient omnibuses?

UNIVERSAL MONSTERS: DRACULA #2

Story: James Tynion IV | Art/Cover: Martin Simmonds | Variant: Francis Manapul | Mature | $4.99

12208374896?profile=RESIZE_400x12208375469?profile=RESIZE_180x180Today Skybound Entertainment, the creator-led, fan-focused multiplatform entertainment company, in partnership with Universal Products & Experiences, unveiled the stunning covers for the second issue of Universal Monsters: Dracula. From the all-star Department of Truth duo of James Tynion IV (W0rldtr33, Something is Killing the Children) and Martin Simmonds (Swan Songs), Universal Monsters: Dracula #2 continues the four-issue limited series set to take readers on a thrilling journey through the iconic world of Dracula, inspired by Universal Pictures’ 1931 film. The second issue will be available in comic book shops on Wednesday, November 22, 2023.

As Lucy Weston suffers from a mysterious ailment, Dr. Seward calls upon Professor Abraham Van Helsing, and Dracula’s thirst goes unquenched...

Bringing a fresh perspective to one of pop culture’s most beloved villains, Universal Monsters: Dracula marks the beginning of a line-up of Universal Monsters comics. Each series will feature variant covers from some of the best artists working in comics today—Joshua Middleton, Francis Manapul, Julian Totino-Tedesco, and Jenny Frison. 

Universal Monsters: Dracula #2 will feature main cover art from series artist Martin Simmonds, along with an open to order variant from superstar Francis Manapul (The Flash).

• Tradewaiting. (And eagerly so.)
  • The second printing of UNIVERSAL MONSTERS: DRACULA #1 also ships this week.

DARK HORSE

ELFQUEST: STARGAZER’S HUNT COMPLETE EDITION HC

Story: Richard and Wendy Pini | Art: Sonny Strait | 208 pages | $29.99

12292734698?profile=RESIZE_400xReturn to the world of ElfQuest in ElfQuest: Stargazer’s Hunt Complete Edition from Dark Horse Books! This special hardcover edition of Stargazer’s Hunt compiles both complete volumes of the comic miniseries in one collection, including brand new behind-the-scenes sketches and commentary.

ElfQuest alumnus Sonny Strait returns as this series’ artist and colorist, alongside storytellers Wendy and Richard Pini, with script, layouts, and an all-new cover exclusive to this edition by Wendy Pini. Longtime fans and new readers alike will not want to miss this special offering, released just in time to celebrate ElfQuest’s 10-year-anniversary with Dark Horse Comics!

When ElfQuest: The Final Quest concluded, it ended the hero’s journey of Cutter Kinseeker, chief of the Wolfriders. But that was only the start of a new adventure for Cutter’s “brother in all but blood,” Skywise. Now the stargazer elf, who thought he knew everything about Cutter, discovers how mistaken he was. Skywise sets his sights on the cosmic horizon for answers, sending him on his own epic quest from the elves’ ancestral Star Home through uncharted space and back to the World of Two Moons. His star-spanning quest reveals interstellar majesty and the desolation of ruined worlds, but no answers to the gaps in his memory. Meanwhile Jink, the elf-daughter he left behind, returns to the ancestral home of the Wolfriders in the hope of finding a way to heal her father’s soul.

Praise for ElfQuest:

“ELFQUEST: STARGAZER’S HUNT #4 provides fans with everything they love about the ElfQuest series. ”— Monkeys Fighting Robots

“’ElfQuest’ is undeniably a classic series with tons of plot history to dig up and reference, and that is evident in “Stargazer’s Hunt.” The Pinis do a good job of introducing the fantastical world and characters that inhabit it, and Strait evokes the classic, brush-heavy art style really nicely.” — Multiversity Comics

• I've kinda reached my limit on this series, but I'm glad it's still coming out.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

GRENDEL: DEVIL BY THE DEED — MASTER’S EDITION

Story/Art: Matt Wagner | $124.99

11021926467?profile=RESIZE_710xDark Horse Books and Matt Wagner present Grendel: Devil by the Deed — Master’s Edition! In an all-new reimagining of the original Grendel tale, Matt Wagner applies his decades of experience to expand Hunter Rose’s origin story with new art, resulting in a presentation nearly three times as long as the original Grendel story. Brennan Wagner joins as colorist on this new edition, with Dave Lanphear as letterer.

“It’s surprising even to me that the original Grendel storyline, which spawned so many incarnations of the character and a 40-year narrative history was, in fact, only 37 pages long,” says Grendel creator Matt Wagner. “So it was incredibly exciting for me to return to one of my first and most influential stories after so many years … recapturing the style and substance of the original Devil By the Deed but through the eyes and skills of a much more seasoned creator.  Hunter Rose has always held a special dark spot in my creative soul and I’m thrilled that Dark Horse continues to be such an enthusiastic partner for all things GRENDEL!”

Grendel: Devil by the Deed — Master’s Edition will be available in two different editions: a standard hardcover and a Limited Edition.

• The standard hardcover edition presents the new Master’s Edition with new cover art by Matt and Brennan Wagner.
  • The Limited Edition includes a signed tip-in sheet and slipcase.

Praise for Matt Wagner’s Grendel:

“Wagner experiments with the form of comics by turning each page into an elegant Art Deco design.” — Publishers Weekly

“Like the Batman and the Joker, Grendel and Argent are two sides of the same coin.” — Fantasy Literature

“Grendel is a brave and possibly even reckless experiment that has succeeded admirably.” — Alan Moore (Watchmen)

• I loved Mage, and have enjoyed everything else Matt Wagner has done — except Grendel. I've had friends who enjoyed it, but It just never did anything for me. Your mileage varies, in all likelihood. 
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

INNOCENT OMNIBUS VOLUME 1

Story/Art: Shin'ichi Sakamoto | $29.99

12245183496?profile=RESIZE_400xAvailable for the first time in English, Dark Horse Manga proudly presents Innocent Omnibus Volume 1 by Shin'ichi Sakamoto, a gripping historical drama inspired by real figures and events. This first omnibus collects volumes 1 through 3 of the original manga series.

Blood, death, and duty — the title bequeathed to the heir of the royal executioner becomes a burden too heavy to bear.

Born into a family of executioners, Charles-Henri Sanson must take up his father's mantle as the Royal Executioner of Paris. Conflicted between his desire to honor the family name and rebelling against the longstanding practice, he chooses to follow tradition, but vows to be the last executioner — the last Sanson to spill blood in the name of justice.

In this omnibus edition collecting volumes 1-3 of the original manga series, Shin'ichi Sakamoto masterfully fictionalizes the true life of Charles-Henri Sanson, the "Gentleman of Paris," who performed nearly 3,000 executions in 18th century France.

• I read a story recently in one of PS Arbooks' pre-Code horror comics collections that has the same broad outlines. Of course, in a horror story there's bound to be a twist ending — in this case (Spoiler) the headsman during the French Revolution vows to be the last executioner in his family, but is somehow separated from his son, who grows up to be an executioner, and executes his father. O Fortuna! Anyway, that leads me to believe that both stories are drawing from the same source material, whatever that may be.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

LUNAR LODGE #1 (OF 4)

Story: Tyler Marceca | Art: Mirko Colak | Colors: Brian Valenza | Letters: Frank Cvetkovic | $3.99

11002216062?profile=RESIZE_400xMarriage ain't easy, especially when your spouse is hiding a monstrous secret. Just ask Rob Moreland, who knows things aren’t great lately with his wife, Fiona, but is hoping to fix that …until the LUNAR LODGE calls to confirm her stay. Rob decides to shadow his wife to the hotel, but what he finds reveals even more horror than he suspected. Rob will soon discover there's much more to the Lunar Lodge, and to his wife, than meets the eye.

“The idea for LUNAR LODGE was born from a simple, albeit screwy, question; if I were a werewolf, how would I protect myself and those around me on nights when the moon was full? I mean, who would want to wake up the morning after a full moon covered in blood and mud with no memory of how many people, and livestock, they killed. There would have to be a solution for this, right? And if there was a solution ... you better believe some enterprising folks would find a way to profit from it.”

"I never got the chance to work on a werewolf comic, even though I wanted to since I was a kid, and then suddenly 'boom', when I least expected it, the offer came," said Colak. "This story will change the already divided opinion about the 'werewolf' phenomenon, and the team is here to give you a great Saturday night read. Just don't look back. And beware of lonely roads.“

Lunar Lodge is perfect for fans of Count Crowley, Criminal Macabre, Harrow County and Werewolf by Night.

• Wait, this dude didn't notice his wife disappeared for three nights every month?
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

MORTAL TERROR #1 (OF 4)

Story: Christopher Golden, Tim Lebbon | Art/Cover: Peter Bergting | Variant: Mike Mignola | $4.99

12199460465?profile=RESIZE_400x12199460477?profile=RESIZE_180x180Christopher Golden, Tim Lebbon and Peter Bergting, the creative team behind the illustrated prose horror novella Festival, reunite for the new horror comic series Mortal Terror! Golden and Lebbon will write the series with art by Bergting, colors by Chris O’Halloran and letters by Clem Robins. Mortal Terror #1 will also feature a variant cover by Mike Mignola (Hellboy).

Vampires Jonathan Harker, Lucy Westenra and Mina Murray live in underground London, trying to keep the undead city safe from the rumored mortals above who seek to give them life, only to kill them. But when the authorities refuse to believe mortals, let alone the mysterious Count Dracula, are anything more than myth, they are on their own to keep their city eternally dead.

Praise for Christopher Golden’s All Hallows:

All Hallows is the work of a master of horror, characterization and pace. It’s destined to be a classic, one that you should grab and devour immediately, and then revisit in October, when the air is crisp and the pumpkins are carved and the shadows grow deeper and darker.” — Cemetery Dance

All Hallows bring the horror, literally and metaphorically, to the backyard of suburban homes, and that makes it feel more immediate. Golden clearly loves all things horror, and this novel, his love letter to Halloween, shines with that love, and that makes it a lot of fun to read.” — Locus Magazine

Praise for Tim Lebbon’s Eden:

“Lebbon offers weirdly beautiful and horrific images that call to mind those delivered in the theatrical version of Annihilation, and many times I was left chilled by his depictions of a remorseless Nature determined to thrive and grow. A truly gripping and horrifying read.” — Cemetery Dance

“Lebbon excels at building a world that is both wondrous and deeply unsettling…” — Publishers Weekly

Praise for Peter Bergting:

“Peter is one of those very rare creatures — a wonderful illustrator and designer, a creator of striking single images — who also understands that comics are a whole different ball hame and does both beautifully. It’s been a job and an honor to work with him.” — Mike Mignola, Hellboy creator

“[Bergting] can do grand fantasy elements and then switch to intimate character moments with apparent ease.” — Mark Tweedale, Multiversity Comics

“[Bergting], just like the artists that came before him in this world, has an excellent hold on storytelling, which is the most important aspect of these types of comic stories …” — Pop Culture Uncovered

• I'm pretty sure that neither Jonathan Harker nor Lucy Westenra made it through Bram Stoker's Dracula alive OR undead. Mina Harker did, IIRC, which is probably why Alan Moore used her in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Come to think of it, Dracula didn't make it through, either, but he's always getting resurrected so it's easy to forget. Anyway, this appears to be the Dracula elements in a blender, which is instantly interesting.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

PLANETA BLU VOL 1: RISE OF AGOO TP

Story: Tem Blessed | Art/Cover: Michael V. LaRiccia | $19.99

11004082681?profile=RESIZE_710xDark Horse Books presents Planeta Blu Volume 1: Rise of Agoo, a new young adult graphic novel about courage, compassion, love and sacrifice to make Earth a better place for living beings. This is activist and rapper Tem Blessed’s debut graphic novel, illustrated by Michael LaRiccia, with a foreword by New York Times bestselling author and Emmy Award-winner Van Jones. While first fully funded and published from a Kickstarter campaign, the Dark Horse edition will include exclusive bonus content as well as a new cover.

After Lares, her brother Angel, and their friends Tomé and Tyler gain magical abilities, they stumble upon a looming war. The animal kingdom is ramping up to save the earth — "Planeta Blu" — by taking on the global climate crisis and fighting pollution at the source. One billionaire oil tycoon has sinister machinations at work, but the globe’s animals and a young team of humans will need to work together if they want to have any chance at saving our world!

“As young boys, Mike and I read Dark Horse Comics,” said Blessed. “Now as men with families, we have the opportunity to partner with this iconic publisher that inspired us to build worlds and tell stories. We are honored to carry on the Dark Horse legacy and share images and words that embolden the youth to dream beyond a bleak future. I am not saying that this book will solve climate change but I forsee that Planeta Blu - Rise of Agoo will ignite the mind of someone that will. This remixed and revised version of Planeta Blu - Rise of Agoo is destined to send colorful shock waves of optimism past challenging times well into the future.”

• It will probably take a worldwide uprising of all wildlife to stop climate change. God knows humans don't have the guts to do it.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

IDW PUBLISHING

Stock up on red crayons for the PREDATORS SMITHSONIAN COLORING BOOK SC.

INTERESTING

CATIANS #1

Story: Cortney Cameron | Story/Art: Luyi Bennett | Art: Isaac Anderson, Rick Alves | Cover: Sal Monaco, Martina Rossi | Letters: Reed Hinckley-Barnes | Scout Comics | $4.99

12283760456?profile=RESIZE_400xA teenage trio teams up with cats on a global quest to recapture an ancient cat god’s powerful relics and defeat a monster borne of forbidden magic.

Cats have been disappearing in the wake of a ravenous monster borne of forbidden magic, and the Council of Cats tasks three teens with stopping the onslaught. Spirited from their homes in the Appalachian hills, Chicago suburbs, and California Bay Area, hardworking Riley, gamer Alex, and booksmart Sidney find themselves talking to cats in the Florida Keys, granted magical powers, and asked to save the world. Assisted by a motley cast of purr machines, from the stout-slinging King of the Cats to the falconry aficionado Master Cat, the trio embarks on a global quest, battling villains from real-life cat folktales in order to recapture an ancient cat god's powerful relics. Along the way, they must cultivate their powers to control the elements, ally with a secret order of wizard-historians, juggle jobs, deal with parents, make sure the cat's food bowl is still full...and maybe, just maybe, learn to work together.

Cortney Cameron – “Catians has been with me for decades, and bringing the story to life and to readers as part of Scout's impressive lineup has been a true joy. Catians is a fun fantasy action-adventure tale, woven with layers of humor and lore while exploring themes like grief and family dynamics, and partnering with Scout has opened doors in and for the story in ways I never imagined possible!”

“Magic powers and talking cats! What's not to love? It's been an absolute pleasure to help bring Catians to life. We're pouring our souls into the story and the art, and we're very excited to work with Scout to share Catians with the world.” — Luyi Bennett

“Beautifully rendered … hit[s] you like a gut punch” — Matt Ligeti, Comic Book Yeti

“Crackles with delightful, enthusiastic creativity…and beautiful art.” — Ben Howard, Graphic Policy

"Ye cats!" as Weisinger-era Jimmy Olsen used to say, because there sure are a lot of cat books these days! But also dog books, so there's something for everybody. And I like the art.

12283760487?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283760669?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283761075?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12283761252?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283761259?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283761269?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283761277?profile=RESIZE_180x180

COMPLETE KLAUS DELUXE HC: Grant Morrison blends Viking folklore and SIberian shamanism to tell an origin story for Santa Claus, back when the jolly elf was (in this telling) a sword-wielding warrior. I am not kidding. Collects Klaus #1-7, Klaus & the Witch of Winter, Klaus & the Crisis in Xmasville, Klaus & the Crying Snowman, Klaus & the Life and Times of Joe Christmas and Klaus: Pen & Ink Edition. I'm pretty tempted, as Morrison is entertaining even when he's baffling.

Ahoy Comics alert: CON & ON #5 (OF 5).

DARKLING #1 (ONE-SHOT)

Script: Sarah Kuhn | Art: Carola Borelli | Colors: Ellie Wright | Letters: Jack Morelli | Cover: Maria Sanapo | Variant Cover: David Mack | $3.99

12199031700?profile=RESIZE_400x12199031883?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199032293?profile=RESIZE_180x180Darla Lang, a.k.a. the magical superhero DARKLING, returns to Archie Comics after a decades-long absence in a new "dark academia" thriller this November! The new one-shot, written by noted YA author Sarah Kuhn (Heroine Complex) with art by Carola Borelli (Gambit & Rogue), explores the character's origins and her mysterious powers of teleportation in the sinister halls of Ivy Hollow University.

"Sarah Kuhn's impressive work on Shadow of the Batgirl and Girl Taking Over: A Lois Lane Story made her a perfect choice to tell the story of Darla Lang," said Archie Comics Senior Director of Editorial Jamie L. Rotante. "This one-shot explores more of her life, demystifying the character who was once defined by being cloaked in shadows. And we're excited to work once again with artist Carola Borelli, who has a wonderful grasp of character designs and setting the right mood to tell a story."

Darkling first appeared in 1983's MIGHTY CRUSADERS #4, as part of Archie's "Red Circle" line of superhero comics. She fought alongside heroes like The Web and The Shield and stood out for her unique design and unusual power set: teleporting evildoers to another dimension through her cloak. The character has recently reappeared in new issues of Archie's digest comic magazines in the "classic" Archie style. The new DARKLING one-shot will be her first solo adventure for older readers since the '80s, and sets her alongside other dark academia stalwarts like the Netflix series Wednesday and Lev Grossman's The Magicians book series.

"Darkling's been popping up recently in some of our classic-style titles as Riverdale's resident goth queen — who just so happens to have powers that often put her at odds with supernatural entities and monsters. We wanted to take that energy and bring it to a new audience," Rotante added.

From the outside, Darla Lang looks like a normal college student — save for the peculiar voluminous black cloak she wears everywhere. Her peers and professors chalk this up to Darla’s eccentric, introverted, slightly creepy persona, but Darla is a young woman with a secret … and a mission. Darla’s cloak is actually a mystical artifact that she can use as a melee weapon, trapping her enemies inside and teleporting them away. Darla’s power and connection to the supernatural world have always been a curse, and now she’s enrolled in Ivy Hollow University which harbors some dark secrets of its own. Will Darla find within its hallowed halls the answers to the questions about herself and her powers that she’s been seeking? Darkling mixes superheroics with dark academia from writer Sarah Kuhn (Shadow of the Batgirl, Girl Taking Over: A Lois Lane Story) and artist Carola Borelli (Spider-Woman). 

• Darkling seems like a cross between Marvel's Cloak and Charlton's Nightshade — and debuted after both of them, which is not a plus. Come to think of it, Marvel's Darkstar has similar powers, and if I thought some more I might come up with a few more antecedents. But there's nothing new under the sun (or in the Dark Dimension) and the premise seems entertaining enough.

12293627898?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293627693?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293628264?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293628277?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293628289?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DISENCHANTED: UNTOLD TALES VOL 1 (OF 2)

Story/Art: Matt Groening | Titan Comics | 224 pages | $24.99

12164209264?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293218701?profile=RESIZE_584xNo, you’re not dreaming, it’s DREAMLAND IN PRINT!

That’s right, your favorite princess, demon and elf-hybrid-thing from Matt Groening’s popular animated series DISENCHANTMENT is now available in comic form! Easily streamable right to your brain via your eyes with no pesky Wi-Fi needed! Here lies the first of THREE all-new, all-comic volumes chronicling the stories you didn’t see on screen.

Adventure above the clouds, in the forest and beyond the seas… well, beyond one sea. But it’s a new one! There are Beans to meet and beans to eat and beans to plant and Beans who just can’t. There are giants in the sky and beers on tap, a unicorn and something that is not at all a unicorn. Including “educational” and “informational” inserts to enhance your reading pleasure!

Let us carry you back to Dreamland for new quests, new friends, new foes, and maybe a cocktail along the way, in these exciting comic adventures!

• I haven't watched this show, but I've always meant to. It should be right up my alley. But there's always something else with a higher priority than an animated comedy that always seemed one step ahead of cancellation.

12164209096?profile=RESIZE_180x18012164209291?profile=RESIZE_180x18012164209299?profile=RESIZE_180x18012164209864?profile=RESIZE_180x18012164209469?profile=RESIZE_180x180

RED HARVEST: A GRAPHIC NOVEL OF THE TERROR FAMINE IN SOVIET UKRAINE

Michael Cherkas | NBM | 114 pages | $9.99

10966828076?profile=RESIZE_400xSoviet dictator Joseph Stalin waged a brutal war against the Soviet peasantry leading to the Holodomor, the terror-famine that killed at least 4 million Ukrainians during the fall and winter of 1932-33. Red Harvest is based on the tragic events that took place in Soviet Ukraine and other parts of the Soviet Union from 1929 to 1933. Stalin and the ruling Communist Party began their program of forced large-scale collectivization of individual farms and farmers, including the seizure of livestock, farm implements, crops, seed stock, and other property.

Red Harvest is the fictional story, based on true stories as related to the Ukranian-Canadian author, of Mykola Kovalenko, a Ukrainian immigrant to Canada, who was the only member of his family to have survived the famine. Through his memories, we witness the horrors of what happened to his family and fellow villagers in the "breadbasket of Europe" as they struggled — not only to make sense of the war that was being waged against them — but, ultimately, to survive.

• The first time I heard about Stalin's deliberate starvation of his own people — it was such a disaster, the Ukrainians have a name for it — I couldn't wrap my head around it. But now I understand a bit more of the internal politics of the former USSR, which seemed like a monolith to my younger self. The scared, self-regarding little men in Moscow still see Ukraine as a fiefdom, and its people serfs, as the current war indicates. 
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

"What would Jimi Hendrix, Clint Eastwood, Ricky Gervais, Stephen King and [more than 100] other pop culture icons look like if they posed for your Live Drawing Class?" Since I find all naked men to be inherently ridiculous, this is not a question I have ever pondered or want answered. But if you're curious, here's a PREVIEW to Fantagraphics' STRIKING A POSE: A HANDY GUIDE TO THE MALE NUDE HC (Fantagraphics, $22.99). 

One of the two new stories in WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #135 features Pow-Girl and Pureheart the Powerful.

OTHER FIRST ISSUES/OGNS

Magnetic's BLACK BOX CHRONICLES GN is "a sci-fi anthology chronicling mankind's first steps into interstellar space, as pieced together from the records recovered from the wreckage of various spacecraft found throughout the cosmos."

Mad Cave's EDENFROST #1 (OF 4): "After losing their parents in a pogrom, teenage siblings Alex and Yuli use the mystical power of a Golem to survive the chaos of the Russian Civil War." Sounds cool. Here's a PREVIEW. An LCSD 2023 EDENFROST #1 (OF 4) is also available on Local Comic Shop Day.

Graphic Mundi's ESCAPING WARS AND WAVES GN is about Syrian refugees in various countries, "a graphic novel that brings to life the improvised living conditions of the refugees, along with the stories of how they survived."

EVERYTHING SUCKS: FRIENDS FOREVER ONE-SHOT is another Silver Sprocket book that defies summary. Here's a PREVIEW.

Lev Gleason-New Friday describes FRANKENAUT TP as "a neon space opera with a host of alien wonderment, big parties and even bigger problems."

GHOSTS ON THE WATER #1

Story: Ben Goldsmith and Jeremey Dyches | Art: Alex Cormack | Letters: Justin Birch | Editor: Andrea Lorenzo Molinari | Scout Comics | $4.99

12283746674?profile=RESIZE_180x180Ghosts on the Water is the story of infamous Māori pirate Mad Mac as he searches the South Seas for his lost older brother and Whiro, the storm of infamy who may be the key to unlocking the secrets of his brother’s disappearance. In the Maori culture, Water is Life ... and Death. Watch how Mad Mac grows to power so that he may find the brother he lost to that water, and the secrets hiding behind the storms. Join a crew for adventure on the South Pacific Ocean fraught with love, mystery and doom. Look to the horizon and the ... Ghosts on the Water.

With an eye on the past and one on the present you may see the Ghosts on the Water. It's Pirates of the Caribbean meets Moana in this action-adventure comic of destiny and family.

“The opportunity to be published by Scout has given me a new found appreciation and excitement into the industry. Going from avid comic book reader to storyteller, gave me the chance to live out my dream and bring something I created to life. Scout saw and believed in my vision and it’s means everything to have their support.” — Jeremey Dyches

“New stories free the mind and spirit. You have come to Scout because that is what they offer. It’s the same reason we brought this story to Scout.” — Ben Goldsmith

“I’ve been a fan of SCOUT comics for years and am so proud that GHOSTS ON THE WATER is now a part of their catalogue!” — Alex Cormack

• No offense to the Maori, but I suspect every seafaring people regard the water as both life and death. Although I'm always curious about other cultures' mythology and folklore.
  • According to Deep Purple, it's smoke on the water. (And fire in the sky.) Get it right!

12283746868?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283746879?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283746691?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12283747058?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283747263?profile=RESIZE_180x18012283747090?profile=RESIZE_180x180

GRATUITOUS NINJA CARD BOX GN

Story/Art: Ron Wimberly | Beehive Books | $100.00

12292665692?profile=RESIZE_400xA stealth epic that flows from the stoops to the subways, reinventing both the ninja tale and the graphic novel. 636 accordion-folded pages flip-kick through a sprawling saga of a reimagined NYC where ninja run the underground and anarchist pyrates run the streets. The fabled Namba clan went into hiding decades ago, living peacefully under the radar as community-minded hippies in Gowanus. But when they take some new blood under their wing, four young trainees take to the streets to solve Brooklyn's problems with ninja science. What good is being a ninja if you can't protect your own hood? This unique box set contains four hundred consecutive feet of comics and ephemera bubbling with pugilist praxis, chanbara dialectics, pyrate vs. ninja warfare, and a whole secret history of NYC.

• I think I'd have to see one of these to fully understand the concept.

Massive's HELLICIOUS #1 is a reprint of the first appearance of "Cherry, the Devil's prankster granddaughter and the cutest grim reaper in Hell" with new covers. Evidently Hellicious is going to adapted into an animated series. And as we all know, Cherry grows up to be a sexually adventurous teenager in underground comix. Wait, what? Oh, wrong Cherry. Never mind. Here's a PREVIEW.

LEFTSTAR & THE STRANGE OCCURRENCE GN

Story/Art: Jean Fhilippe | Silver Sprocket | 80 limited-color pages | 6” x 8” | $15.99

12287851270?profile=RESIZE_180x180Leftstar can’t seem to access the world they’ve been building. They also haven’t slept in a long time. These things are almost certainly unrelated, and they should really go get the mail, anyway. But their trip to the post office is interrupted by a curious visitor: an enormous fruit bat.

Whisked away in the bat’s claws, Leftstar is taken on an adventure to unblock the path to their deserted creation. Between bites of pie and words of wisdom, can Leftstar remember the most crucial part of invention?

Find out in this chill and cozy story, potentially familiar to those who find themselves trapped outside of their own worlds.

"An elegantly drawn and charming tale that carries you through its pages as though you’re a leaf floating on a spring breeze. Such a wonderful cast of characters that I would happily spend more time with. A real joy to read." — Adam de Souza, Blind Alley

Scout's LIPSTICK CLIQA #1 features a "fierce, all-female gang of shape-shifting vampire cholas" in East L.A. Probably a true story.

Humanoids' MAJNUN AND LAYLA SONGS FROM BEYOND THE GRAVE GN seems to be a French love story with a sad ending. Of course, after I say "French love story," the "sad ending" part may be redundant.

Z2's MILES DAVIS AND THE SEARCH FOR THE SOUND HC is another music biography.

Fairsquare's NOIR IS THE NEW BLACK LITTLE ROCK FILES #1 is an all-Black crime noir spinning off from the Noir is the New Black anthology. Here's a PREVIEW.

Here's a PREVIEW of Silver Sprocket's PEEPEE POOPOO #80085 BY CAROLINE CASH, which is described as a "gay, modern take on the ‘60s underground comic."

ZAGOR: THE RETURN OF CAIN GN: "Cain the Avenger is back from what we thought was his watery grave when he plunged to the depths to kill Kraken! Destiny crosses his and Zagor's paths again as they meet in the African desert pursued by the necromancers, as they all search for the lost cities of Atlantis." Translated from the original Italian, Zagor is a 19th century Native American in Africa looking for Atlantis. You can't make this stuff up! (Although someone obviously did.)

ADDITIONAL PREVIEWS

AFRO SAMURAI BOXED SET

12293206495?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293204855?profile=RESIZE_584x12293207056?profile=RESIZE_400x

HORIZON ZERO DAWN BOXED SET

12293208472?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293208667?profile=RESIZE_584x12293208677?profile=RESIZE_400x

WORLD OF ARCHIE COMICS DOUBLE DIGEST #135

12293629277?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293629298?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293629099?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293629661?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293629487?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293629501?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293629863?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293630065?profile=RESIZE_180x18012293630264?profile=RESIZE_180x180

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Why does Marvel want to remind me of that atrocity of an outfit? Or the '90s in general?

For the same reason they are revisiting Secret Wars: nostalgia... not for us, but for those who were kids then and are now producing the comics (well, not Tom DeFalco, but you know what I mean)..

Will a hunk of cheap plastic make me buy The Sandman again? I don't know! Maybe!

"Cheap" plastic? Take another look at that price tag.

I'm pretty sure that neither Jonathan Harker nor Lucy Westenra made it through Bram Stoker's Dracula alive OR undead.

Lucy didn't, but Jonathan Harker and Mina Murray did. It was Harker who decapitated Dracula, thus freeing Mina from his spell. They later married and had a son named Quincy, who then went on to become the leader of a group of vampire humters in Marvel's Tomb of Dracula comic book.

Morrison is entertaining even when he's baffling.

I misread that as "Morrison is entertaining even when he's bathing." surprised

• I don't really understand why, but Marvel seems to be into giving 1990s writers new limited series to insert new tales into their original runs.  Ron Marz is now at his second such series (for Silver Surfer).  Apparently that is what explains Daredevil: Black.

• Third if you count Warlock:

1. Silver Surfer: Rebirth
      2. Warlock: Rebirth
      3. Silver Surfer Rebirth: Legacy

NOTE: There is also Peter David's Genis-Vell: Captain Marvel and Joe Fixit minis.

• Lucy didn't, but Jonathan Harker and Mina Murray did. It was Harker who decapitated Dracula, thus freeing Mina from his spell. 

I had forgotten Harker survived. He usually doesn't in movie versions. But you're right that in the novel, not only does he survive, but it's Mina who gathers the information needed to understand and destroy Dracula while nursing Jonathan back to health in ... was it Budapest? Eastern Europe somewhere.

You pointed out where Mina plays into Marvel's Tomb of Dracula, so I'll throw in that Mina Harker stars in Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, where she is a vampire, and marries Dracula in the "Anno Dracula" novels, which made the move to comics for the Anno Dracula miniseries at Titan. 

I don't really understand why, but Marvel seems to be into giving 1990s writers new limited series.

Jeff already said it, but it's worth repeating, something that I think we concluded on this very board. Which is that each decade brings a revival of whatever kids loved 20 or 30 years prior, as those kids have become players in the various entertainment fields and can indulge their own childhood nostalgia. So today's comics chieftans are reviving what they loved as children 20 or 30 years ago. Regardless, as if I have to say it, of the quality of the original. They were kids, after all.

• MANIFEST DESTINY DELUXE EDITION BOOK ONE HC

In 1804, Captain Meriwether Lewis and Captain William Clark set out on an expedition to explore the unchartered American frontier so their great nation could fulfill its destiny. This is the untold story of what they discovered lurking in the wilds. 

Digression: The word is uncharted, not unchartered. This mistake is as prevalent as calvary when they mean cavalry.

I never read any of this, Legionnaires. Is it time to start, with these convenient omnibuses?

I bought all of the TPB editions and have read about half of the run (my pile and other things interfere with finishing it). It’s a great concept, having the Lewis and Clark expedition secretly finding and defeating monsters and supernatural entities.

• RED HARVEST: A GRAPHIC NOVEL OF THE TERROR FAMINE IN SOVIET UKRAINE

The preview link is broken

• You pointed out where Mina plays into Marvel's Tomb of Dracula, so I'll throw in that Mina Harker stars in Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, where she is a vampire .....

Without digging out the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen TPBs, I believe that in Alan Moore's text Mina has a very long life and covers throat damage with a kerchief. She's shown as an actual vampire in the movie version.

This reply was deleted.