Comics Guide for Oct. 7, 2026

TOP 10 PUBLISHERS

NO. 1: DC COMICS

DC’S QUOTH THE RAVEN: WHATEVER #1 (ONE-SHOT)

31271840476?profile=RESIZE_192X(W) Various (A) Various (CA) Sweeney Boo

YOU EVER DANCE WITH THE DEVIL IN THE PALE MOONLIGHT? WHAT ABOUT WITH THE DAUGHTER OF DARKNESS?

Written by Tini Howard, Patrick R. Young, Domo Stanton, Nina Vakueva, Rebecca Mock and Others Art by Isaac Goodhart, Domo Stanton, Nina Vakueva, Rebecca Mock, Francesco Tomaselli and Others Welcome, foolish mortals. Not far from the shores of Gotham City, when the nights grow long, the leaves turn red, and a certain crisp chill comes into the air on a twilight lit by the full moon, the lives of heroes and antiheroes from Raven to Swamp Thing, Constantine, Zatanna, Deadman and more ... turn toward the strange and unusual, the occult and delightful, the odd and the audacious. For those looking to give themselves a good, warm dose of the shivers, this anthology of scary stories to tell in the dark is the perfect assortment of fairy tales for troubled times and troubled souls alike. Pick up a copy wherever needful things and comic books are sold. We think you'll find it the perfect companion to your handbook for the recently deceased. 

Whoa, it's already Halloween anthology time! I'll probably pick this up, just because it doesn't require much in the way of continuity homework. As ever with anthologies, it'll be hit and miss.

31271840488?profile=RESIZE_192X31271840660?profile=RESIZE_192X

*** 

DEMON #1

31271841071?profile=RESIZE_192X(W/A/CA) James Harren

SUPERSTAR WRITER/ARTIST JAMES HARREN TAKES THE DEMON ETRIGAN TO THE NEXT LEVEL!

A haunted Jason Blood walks the edge of Hell as a familiar fire stirs beneath his skin.

As the world slips toward shadow, something ancient strains to rise again.

DC’s Next Level line continues to expand with The Demon, a new comic book series written and drawn by James Harren (Ultramega) with colors by Dave Stewart and lettering by Clayton Cowles. Following recent Next Level launches including Batwoman, Lobo, Deathstroke: The Terminator, The Fury of Firestorm, Zatanna, Barbara Gordon: Breakout, and The Deadman, The Demon pushes the initiative into bold new territory with Harren’s mix of monsters, raw emotion, and sharp intensity. As DC All In enters its second act, new creator-driven titles highlight the ambition, range, and energy shaping DC’s 2026 publishing slate across both the main universe and the Absolute universe.

The world is infested with a darkness its people cannot see. Beasts from Hell feast on humanity’s soul, sucking it dry and leaving nothing but a shell behind.

Only one person can see these monsters and cast them back to Hell: Jason Blood! But he is a shadow of the man he once was, wandering the world following the face of a wizard long gone and hearing a voice in his head demanding to be let out.

How can Jason Blood help protect the world from demons when he himself is not sure how to work with the one bound to his soul? Will the Demon Etrigan ever rise again?

Superstar writer/artist James Harren (Ultramega) creates a brand-new epic starring the mightiest demon of them all!

I know this will ruffle feathers, but The Demon felt to me in the 1970s like a character Jack Kirby dashed off to fulfull a contractual obligation. After DC canceled Kirby's Fourth World books, he was still legally required to produce a certain amount of material. And so he came up with his "second wave," The Demon, Kamandi and OMAC. As a know-it-all teenager, I dismissed these books  as Contractual Obligation Comics, derivative of Kirby's earlier work and without the over-the-top prose, cascade of new ideas and fandom excitement of New Gods, Forever People, Mister Miracle and, yes, Superman's Pal Jimmy Olsen. I bought the second wave, but with a shrug. None lasted very long except Kamandi, which I regarded as a one-note idea that didn't have the Kirby pizzazz. I was a teenager, and to say I was opinionated is a bit of an understatement.

But I don't think I was entirely wrong. The Demon, it seemed to high school me, was clearly not thought through very well. And in the decades since, I've watched writer after writer try to fit Etrigan into some sort of conceptual framework that would work in an ongoing title, only to see writer after writer fail. Does he rhyme? Sometimes! Why? Various explanations! Is he a good guy? Sometimes! Is he evil? Sometimes! Is he tied to Jason Blood? Sometimes! Do his ears and boots look a little silly? Usually! Does he dress like a superhero instead of a demon? Always! 

So I don't have much hope for this one. But I will say that as I've aged, I care less and less for whether a character works in the broader framework of its universe, and more and more about whether I'm entertained. If Harren entertains me, I'll be there. I think his best bet would be to pretend this is a Vertigo book, rather than a DCU book, and hang out in the Gaimanverse. But really, it just needs to be its own thing, with an internal logic that works.

31271841080?profile=RESIZE_192X31271841276?profile=RESIZE_192X31271841653?profile=RESIZE_192X

31271885297?profile=RESIZE_192X31271885858?profile=RESIZE_192X

*** 

JONAH HEX AND THE SHADOW OF DEATH #1 (OF 6)

31271842087?profile=RESIZE_192X(W/A/CA) Michael Walsh

MASTER OF HORROR MICHAEL WALSH TAKES JONAH HEX TO THE NEXT LEVEL!

These are the dying days of the Wild West.

As the frontier slips toward shadow, a haunted gunslinger feels the veil stir again.

DC’s Next Level line continues to expand with Jonah Hex and the Shadow of Death, a new six-issue series written and drawn by Michael Walsh (Exquisite Corpses). Following recent Next Level launches including Batwoman, Lobo, Deathstroke: The Terminator, The Fury of Firestorm, Zatanna, Barbara Gordon: Breakout, and The Deadman, this Western pushes the initiative into bold new territory with Walsh’s signature blend of folk horror, frontier grit, and psychological tension. As DC All In enters its second act, new creator-driven titles highlight the ambition, range, and energy shaping DC’s 2026 publishing slate across both the main universe and the Absolute universe.

Welcome to the end of the Wild West. Welcome to the quiet life of a broken-down bounty hunter whose own story, one of bloodshed, pain, and guilt, ended long ago—or so he thought.

In a small town called Ashecott, something evil has arrived. Something more dangerous than a gunslinger, more sinister than an outlaw, and older than the town it seeks to infect. Something from a world beyond the only one its victims have ever known. Something darker.

Unfortunately for that evil, Jonah Hex has taken notice. Not just of the otherworldly entities surrounding his home, or the child with mysterious abilities they seek to capture—but also of the chance to finally redeem himself.

Join master of horror Michael Walsh as he begins a terrifying new era of DC’s haunted bounty hunter!

Jonah Hex, on the other had, has always entertained me. His repeated cancellations seem to be due to a general lack of interest in Westerns rather than poor concept. I'll doubtless get this one in trade or read it on DCUI. 

31271842099?profile=RESIZE_192X31271842294?profile=RESIZE_192X31271842662?profile=RESIZE_192X

 

31271884886?profile=RESIZE_192X31271884896?profile=RESIZE_192X

*** 

31271855473?profile=RESIZE_192XJSA #24

(W) Jeff Lemire (A) Teddy Kristiansen (CA) Diego Olortegui

BEHIND ENEMY LINES! Wildcat, Dr. Midnite, and Hourman are trapped behind enemy lines and must save one of their former teammates! How will the heroes risk it all for one of their own? Find out in this last tale of the Justice Society of America!

And so another JSA title bites the dust. Where have you gone, Roy Thomas? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

 

31271855292?profile=RESIZE_192X31271855497?profile=RESIZE_192X

*** 

ABSOLUTE

ABSOLUTE SUPERMAN #24

ABSOLUTE GREEN LANTERN #19

BAD SEEDS

BATGIRL #24

BATMAN #14

MORE DC

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #501: First Superboy (Kon-El). 

BATMAN #423 FACSIMILE EDITION: Todd McFarlane cover (if you're into that sort of thing).

DEADMAN #5 (OF 6)

SUPERMAN THE STRANGER #2 (OF 6)

SWAMP THING #1 FACSIMILE EDITION

COLLECTIONS

BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD — THE BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC (2026 EDITION): Lots of Bronze Age this week, but I think it's all second or third editions of material that's been reprinted in omnibus form before.

BATMAN: THE BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

BATMAN: HARLEY AND IVY TP (DC COMPACT COMICS EDITION)

BLACK CANARY: IGNITE TP (2026 EDITION)

C.O.R.T.: CHILDREN OF THE ROUND TABLE — A CAMELOT GRAPHIC NOVEL TP

DC FINEST: BATMAN — THE DEMON LIVES AGAIN TP

31271840073?profile=RESIZE_192X(W) Dennis O Neil, Frank Robbins (A) Neal Adams, Dick Giordano, Irv Novick, Bob Brown, Frank Robbins (CA) Neal Adams

ONE OF THE MOST LEGENDARY STORIES IN ALL OF COMICS! As the 1960s gave way to the 1970s, a darker, more serious tone began to take hold in Gotham City--an atmosphere generated by the dynamic, expressive artwork of Neal Adams, Dick Giordano, and Irv Novick that accompanied the intricate, thoughtful writing of authors Dennis O'Neil and Frank Robbins. And these titanic talents burned brightest around Batman's newest and deadliest foe--the immortal Ra's al Ghul! Now, for the first time ever, all of these era-defining tales are available in a single historic collection. Featuring such celebrated tales as "Daughter of the Demon," "The Lazarus Pit," and "The Demon Lives Again," this timeless tome presents the Dark Knight Detective with some of his greatest challenges from his most ruthless antagonist--as well as plenty of other formidable foes!

Collects Batman #231-245 and Detective Comics #410-429.

It's the coming of Ra's al Ghul, and my favorite Neal Adams Batman work. 

*** 

DC FINEST: GREEN LANTERN — SETTING UP SHOP TP

31271833680?profile=RESIZE_192X(W) Steve Englehart, John Byrne, Mindy Newell, others (A) Various (CA) Joe Staton, Bruce Patterson, others

THE GREEN LANTERN CORPS GETS DOWN TO EARTH!

In the aftermath of the Crisis on Infinite Earths and departure of the Guardians from this plane of existence, the remaining members of the Green Lantern Corps settle on Earth, where they must grapple with international political disputes, interstellar invasions, and Guy Gardner's ego! Also included in this volume is a stirring series of standalone tales starring Earth's Lanterns as well as their far-flung comrades (and nemeses) throughout the cosmos.

Collects Green Lantern #201-205, Green Lantern Corps #206-219, Tales of the Green Lantern Corps Annual #2, Green Lantern Annual #3, Secret Origins #7, and Action Comics #589.

Didn't we decide that most of these stories have never been reprinted before?

*** 

DEMON: HELL'S HITMAN TP (2026 EDITION)

HARLEY QUINN IN PARADISE VOL 1 TP

HOUSE OF MYSTERY: THE BRONZE AGE OMNIBUS VOL 2 HC (2026 EDITION)

JLA BY MARK WAID OMNIBUS HC

(W) Various (A) Various (CA) Bryan Hitch, Paul Neary

31271833300?profile=RESIZE_192XSUPERSTAR WRITER MARK WAID TAKES ON THE JLA! Written by Mark Waid, Brian Augustyn, Bryan Hitch and Others

Art by Barry Kitson, Bryan Hitch, Mike Miller and Others From Superman, the Flash, the Legion of Super-Heroes, and more, Mark Waid wrote across the entire DC Universe. Now, for the first time, his epic stewardship of the JLA comes together in one massive omnibus. This volume includes iconic moments that helped define a generation of comics, including the seminal retelling of the JLA's founding, the formation of the Flash and Green Lantern's unbreakable bond of friendship, how the Batman took down the entire League by himself, the Queen of Fables' nightmarish assault, and more!Collects The Flash & Green Lantern: The Brave And The Bold #1-6; JLA #18-21, #32-33, #46-58, And #60; JLA Secret Files #3; Jla: Heaven's Ladder; JLA: A Midsummer's Nightmare #1-3; and JLA: Year One #1-12.

Might be worth it for "Tower of Babel" and JLA: Year One alone. The first is a classic, and the second an artifact of a continuity that no longer exists, but introduces several concepts that had staying power. (I think that's where Katar Hol was written out of Silver Age JLA in favor of Carter Hall.) 

*** 

NOTHING BUTT NIGHTWING VOL 1 TP: "Butt"? Seriously?

RENAISSANCE OF RAVEN VOL 1 TP

SWAMP THING: THE ANATOMY LESSON TP (DC COMPACT COMICS EDITION)

*** 

NO. 2: MARVEL COMICS

MARVEL'S MIDNIGHT UNIVERSE

31271288298?profile=RESIZE_192XThe darkness is coming.

Marvel’s newest storytelling initiative, the Midnight Universe, makes its debut with a unified launch of three bold new titles: MIDNIGHT SPIDER-MAN #1 by Phillip Kennedy Johnson and ScieTronc, MIDNIGHT FANTASTIC FOUR #1 by Benjamin Percy and Kev Walker and MIDNIGHT X-MEN #1 by Jonathan Hickman and Matteo Della Fonte. The three debut issues — the only Marvel comics released that day — will usher in a creator-driven line where some of Marvel’s most acclaimed modern talents are given free rein to reimagine the world’s greatest heroes in chilling and daring new ways. Today, fans can get their first taste of what awaits with the new Midnight Universe Trailer, featuring never-before-seen artwork from all three titles.

The light had its turn.

For over 80 years, Marvel heroes have inspired hope. This August, that hope dies in the shadows of the MIDNIGHT UNIVERSE, a new publishing line where top creators unleash haunting new visions of Marvel’s greatest icons. The nightmare begins with three titles: MIDNIGHT X-MEN by Jonathan Hickman (House of X, Ultimate Spider-Man) and Matteo Della Fonte (Nova: Centurion); MIDNIGHT FANTASTIC FOUR by Benjamin Percy (Wolverine, Punisher) and Kev Walker (Infernal Hulk); and MIDNIGHT SPIDER-MAN by Phillip Kennedy Johnson (Infernal Hulk) and, in his exciting Marvel Comics debut, artist Scie Tronc.

Dark. Unpredictable. Unmissable. The MIDNIGHT UNIVERSE draws in longtime fans and newcomers alike to enter a terrifying new world where anything can happen. Interconnected by rich lore-building, Marvel’s most definitive modern creators are given free rein to reimagine heroes with shocking twists and chilling transformations in boundary-less, creator-driven storytelling that will keep readers on edge issue after issue. The X-Men no longer fight for acceptance, they hunger for blood. The Fantastic Four venture into the unknown not to save the world—but to unleash terror upon it. And Spider-Man discovers that with great power … comes something monstrous.

“From the original New Universe to two Ultimate Universes, Marvel has a long history of creating and inspiring bold worlds filled with unforgettable characters and fresh ideas that feel new yet recognizable at the same time,” Editor in Chief C.B. Cebulski explained. “With the new Midnight line, we’ve given some of our most outstanding creators the opportunity to delve into the darkest corners of their imaginations and birth some of the creepiest, most terrifying takes on the Marvel Universe you’ve ever seen.”

Befitting the line’s mysterious, ominous aura, the main covers of the MIDNIGHT titles will be Cloaked Covers, partially obscured with the full artwork revealed with a turn of the page. With the exception of the debut issues, the full artwork will remain shrouded in shadow, only revealing themselves to readers daring enough to pick them up on stands.

I'm guessing this is Marvel's reaction to falling to No. 2, an attempt to match DC's Absolute line by one-upping the "Darkseid Universe" with an even evil-er universe. Or it could just be that Marvel's philosophy is, "When in doubt, call Jonathan Hickman."

MIDNIGHT X-MEN #1

31169870291?profile=RESIZE_192X31169870257?profile=RESIZE_192XWritten by Jonathan Hickman
Art by Matteo Della Fonte
Cover A Dike Ruan Regular Cover – 75960621668000111
Cover B Ryan Stegman Midnight Bloodbath Variant – 75960621668000121
Cover C Skan Midnight Special Variant – 75960621668000131
Cover D Björn Barends Midnight Horror Homage Variant – 75960621668000141
Cover E Jeehyung Lee Midnight Gallery Variant – 75960621668000116
Cover F Clayton Crain 3-Part Connecting Variant – 75960621668000151
Cover G Skan Midnight Special Virgin Variant – 75960621668000117
Cover H Alessandro Cappuccio Variant – 75960621668000161
Cover I Ito Variant – 75960621668000171
Cover J Ito Virgin Variant – 75960621668000118

AN ALL-NEW, ALL-DISTURBING UNIVERSE BEGINS HERE!

The clock strikes midnight and it’s the dark dawn of a new era. The shadows of New York City are stalked by vampires and the mutant empyres. The sword of Damocles hangs over the peace between these two species and the factions within them. An outright war is brewing and the unturned will be caught in the crossfire. Blockbuster comic book writer Jonathan Hickman returns to the X-Men with a hunger for blood as this new world of terror reimagines the heroes of the Marvel Universe!

On returning to the X-Men to deliver another visionary reinvention of mutantkind, Hickman said, “"I’m so enthusiastic about this project — it’s the most excited I’ve been in years. The conceit of MIDNIGHT X-MEN aligns perfectly with the kind of stories I like to tell. It has a rich, open-ended mythology that equally mixes old and new ideas into something that feels both familiar and original.”

“We were very keen to have Matteo on this series, and we have not been disappointed. His storytelling is so good, and he is absolutely nailing every aspect of Jonathan’s script,” said Jordan D. White, senior editor of the series. “I could not be more thrilled to be working on shaping the Midnight line. Everyone has been cut loose and is truly firing on all cylinders. I cannot wait for everyone to see these books.”

I think the shock value of Storm becoming a vampire has about been used up. Wouldn't it be more surprising is she wasn't, and the others were?

 31271291086?profile=RESIZE_192X31271291275?profile=RESIZE_192X31271291473?profile=RESIZE_192X31271291488?profile=RESIZE_400x31271290501?profile=RESIZE_192X31271291864?profile=RESIZE_192X31271291880?profile=RESIZE_192X31271292477?profile=RESIZE_192X

31169870660?profile=RESIZE_192X31271875675?profile=RESIZE_192X31271871488?profile=RESIZE_192X31271875688?profile=RESIZE_192X31271875858?profile=RESIZE_192X31271875874?profile=RESIZE_192X

*** 

MIDNIGHT FANTASTIC FOUR #1

31271293264?profile=RESIZE_192X31271293276?profile=RESIZE_192XWritten By Benjamin Percy
Art By Kev Walker
Cover A Kev Walker Regular Cover – 75960621680200111
Cover B Ryan Stegman Midnight Bloodbath Variant – 75960621680200121
Cover C Ben Harvey Midnight Special Variant – 75960621680200131
Cover D E.M. Gist Midnight Horror Homage Variant – 75960621680200141
Cover E Jeehyung Lee Midnight Gallery Variant – 75960621680200116
Cover F Clayton Crain 3-Part Connecting Variant – 75960621680200151
Cover G Ben Harvey Midnight Special Virgin Variant – 75960621680200117
Cover H Leinil Francis Yu Variant – 75960621680200161
Cover I Rod Reis Variant – 75960621680200171
Cover J Rod Reis Virgin Variant – 75960621680200118

Then, in MIDNIGHT FANTASTIC FOUR, an obsessive scientist delves into the secrets of the universe perhaps best left unknown to mankind, leaving himself and three others warped in strange and horrifying ways. What horrible secrets lie in the new dimensions they have discovered? And can humanity survive the discovery?

On getting the chance to explore his darkest impulses, Percy explained, “If you've read my work, you know that I see the world through a dark, disturbed lens. To me, it's always midnight,” Percy explained. “When Hickman called me, it was from a landline in the basement of an abandoned house with the wires cut. Blood poured from the receiver into my ear. I said yes.

“When I imagined this other version of Marvel — a terrifying, poisoned universe — my mind immediately went to the Fantastic Four. This is a title I have always loved, but would never be allowed to write otherwise. Now I could lean into my worst instincts and reimagine their story as one of cosmic, Lovecraftian dread. I am joined in this by the visionary Kev Walker, who is hard at work bringing a new origin story for Marvel's ‘first family’ to screaming life. I can't wait to share our nightmares with you.”

Is the Cthulhu-head thing Johnny Storm? I guess it could be Dr. Doom. Or Franklin. Heck, could be Alicia.

31271293290?profile=RESIZE_192X31271293463?profile=RESIZE_192X31271293471?profile=RESIZE_400x31271293697?profile=RESIZE_400x31271294076?profile=RESIZE_192X31271294675?profile=RESIZE_192X31271294871?profile=RESIZE_192X

 

31271872289?profile=RESIZE_192X31271872300?profile=RESIZE_192X31271872473?profile=RESIZE_192X31271872674?profile=RESIZE_192X

31271876472?profile=RESIZE_192X31271876482?profile=RESIZE_192X31271876496?profile=RESIZE_192X31271876864?profile=RESIZE_192X

*** 

MIDNIGHT SPIDER-MAN #1

31271295454?profile=RESIZE_192X31271295467?profile=RESIZE_192XWritten By Phillip Kennedy Johnson
Art By Scietronc
Cover A Steve Beach Regular Cover – 75960621681900111
Cover B Ryan Stegman Midnight Bloodbath Variant – 75960621681900121
Cover C Peach Momoko Midnight Special Variant – 75960621681900131
Cover D Skan Midnight Horror Homage Variant – 75960621681900141
Cover E Jeehyung Lee Midnight Gallery Variant – 75960621681900116
Cover F Clayton Crain 3-Part Connecting Variant – 75960621681900151
Cover G Peach Momoko Midnight Special Virgin Variant – 75960621681900117
Cover H Eric Canete Variant – 75960621681900161
\Cover I Inhyuk Lee Variant – 75960621681900171
Cover J Inhyuk Lee Virgin Variant – 75960621681900118

And in MIDNIGHT SPIDER-MAN, a young Peter Parker is transformed into a hideous spider hybrid by the ruthless Oscorp Corporation in their pursuit for eternal life. When Oscorp begins to use the secrets unlocked by his mutation to create more human-animal hybrids, Peter embraces his grotesque new form to stop them.

“The work we’re doing right now on the Midnight line feels like history being made,” Johnson shared. “We’re all bringing creator-owned sensibilities to our projects, we’re redefining boundaries, we’re reinventing these timeless characters in a way that’s never been done. Midnight is nothing like the main line, nothing like the Ultimate line. You will see things in these books that shock you.”

“You don’t take on a job like reinventing Spider-Man to go halfway,” he continued. “I’m leaving it all in the ring with MIDNIGHT SPIDER-MAN and I know Jonathan and Ben are doing the same.”

I have to say the advance art on all three books is pretty impressive.

31271295293?profile=RESIZE_192X31271295852?profile=RESIZE_192X31271296067?profile=RESIZE_192X31271295694?profile=RESIZE_192X31271296458?profile=RESIZE_192X31271295891?profile=RESIZE_192X31271296296?profile=RESIZE_192X

 

31271872699?profile=RESIZE_192X31271873060?profile=RESIZE_192X31271872262?profile=RESIZE_192X31271873084?profile=RESIZE_192X

31271876093?profile=RESIZE_192X31271876901?profile=RESIZE_192X31271877066?profile=RESIZE_192X

*** 

WITH OVER ONE MILLION COPIES ORDERED, MARVEL ANNOUNCES SECOND PRINTING OF ALL THREE UPCOMING MIDNIGHT LAUNCH ISSUES

Following their highly anticipated unified release on October 7, MIDNIGHT SPIDER-MAN #1 by Phillip Kennedy Johnson and ScieTronc, MIDNIGHT FANTASTIC FOUR #1 by Benjamin Percy and Kev Walker, and MIDNGHT X-MEN #1 by Jonathan Hickman and Matteo Della Fonte will return to stands with a Second Printing on October 28.

Marvel Comics is announcing that a Second Printings for three debut issues is already in the works! 

MIDNIGHT SPIDER-MAN #1 by Phillip Kennedy Johnson and ScieTronc, MIDNIGHT FANTASTIC FOUR #1 by Benjamin Percy and Kev Walker, and MIDNGHT X-MEN #1 by Jonathan Hickman and Matteo Della Fonte generated extraordinary demand, exceeding all expectations with collective orders surpassing one million copies! In response, early Second Printings of all three issues will arrive on October 28. Each Second Printing will feature the fully revealed versions of the regular cloaked covers by Steve Beach, Kev Walker and Dike Ruan.

Blending the power of Marvel Comics storytelling with the thrills of horror, Midnight is a bold, interconnected new Universe that completely reimagines the Marvel mythos through a horror lens. In the debut issues, readers will witness the cursed fate of mutantkind, the gruesome transformation of Peter Parker, and the lengths the Fantastic Four are willing to go in the name of scientific discovery. And this is only the beginning for the creator’s long-term vision for this new publishing line!

Pick up MIDNIGHT SPIDER-MAN #1, MIDNIGHT FANTASTIC FOUR #1 and MIDNIGHT X-MEN #1 at your local comic shop on October 7 and look for the Second Printings on October 28. For more information, visit Marvel.com.

MIDNIGHT SPIDER-MAN #1 SECOND PRINTING – 75960621681900112

Written by PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON
Art by SCIETRONC
Uncloaked Second Printing Cover by STEVE BEACH

MIDNIGHT FANTASTIC FOUR #1 SECOND PRINTING – 75960621680200112

Written by BENJAMIN PERCY
Art by KEV WALKER
Uncloaked Second Printing Cover by KEV WALKER

MIDNIGHT X-MEN #1 SECOND PRINTING – 75960621668000112

Written by JONATHAN HICKMAN
Art by MATTEO DELLA FONTE
Uncloaked Second Printing Cover by DIKE RUAN

*** 

COLLECTIONS

INDIANA JONES: THE FURTHER ADVENTURES BOOK I HARDCOVER

INDIANA JONES: THE FURTHER ADVENTURES BOOK II HARDCOVER  

31180799062?profile=RESIZE_192XWritten by WALTER SIMONSON, DAVID MICHELINIE, JOHN BYRNE, DENNIS O’NEIL & ARCHIE GOODWIN
Art by JOHN BUSCEMA, BUTCH GUICE, JOHN BYRNE, RON FRENZ, HOWARD CHAYKIN, KERRY GAMMILL, DAN REED, RICARDO VILLAMONTE, DAVID MAZZUCCHELLI & HERB TRIMPE

At the height of the popularity of Indiana Jones in the 1980s, Marvel Comics — and some of the biggest creators of the era — took on the challenge of bringing the iconic hero from the silver screen to the printed page, and the results were every bit as exhilarating as the groundbreaking films! This September, Marvel brings these legendary adventures back to print in two deluxe hardcovers: INDIANA JONES: THE FURTHER ADVENTURES BOOK I and INDIANA JONES: THE FURTHER ADVENTURES BOOK II.

The collections will include the comic adaptations of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, as well as the entire run of The Further Adventures of Indiana Jones, the beloved series that expanded on the Indiana Jones mythology in blockbuster fashion with action-packed new quests. Featuring leatherette binding, debossed cover designs and ribbon bookmarks, these special volumes are treasures worthy of Indy himself and must-haves for collectors and fans alike.

INDIANA JONES: THE FURTHER ADVENTURES BOOK I HC includes MARVEL SUPER SPECIAL (1977) #18 and #30, adaptations of Raiders of the Lost Ark and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, along with THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES (1983) #1-16. INDIANA JONES: THE FURTHER ADVENTURES BOOK I HC includes INDIANA JONES AND THE LAST CRUSADE (1989) #1-4 and THE FURTHER ADVENTURES OF INDIANA JONES (1983) #17-34. The stories feature work by some of the biggest talents of the 1980s including David Michelinie, Walt Simonson, John Byrne, John Buscema and many more!

With clouds of war gathering ominously over Europe and a Great Depression gripping the world, one globe-trotting professor’s appetite for adventure and discovery remains unsated! Join Dr. Henry Jones as he scours the farthest corners of the planet in a constant race to keep priceless artifacts out of the wrong hands!

It looks like this one came out last week, judging by InStocktrades.

I've been anticipating it — and dreading it. It's a nice package, containing just about all of Marvel's Indy stories before the franchise moved to Dark Horse. And, while I don't remember these stories as anything to write home about, there are some pretty big names involved and I might not have appreciated their work at the time. But the price? Egad! If I get this, it'll be sackcloth and gruel for the rest of the year! 

ALL-NEW X-MEN: YESTERDAY'S X-MEN [MARVEL PREMIER COLLECTION] TP

BLOOD HUNT OMNIBUS HC

CARNAGE MODERN ERA EPIC COLLECTION: PROPHECY OF THE DARKHOLD TP

DUNGEONS OF DOOM HC

EXCALIBUR EPIC COLLECTION: THE DOUGLOCK CHRONICLES TP

SPIDER-GWEN: GHOST-SPIDER MODERN ERA EPIC COLLECTION — INTO THE GWENVERSE TP 

***  

NO. 3: IMAGE COMICS 

IF DESTRUCTION BE OUR LOT VOL 1 TP

31271877679?profile=RESIZE_192XBestselling co-writers Mark Elijah Rosenberg (Approaching the Unknown, Year Million) and Matthew Rosenberg (We're Taking Everyone Down With Us, 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank) team up with artist Andy MacDonald (Doctor Strange, Wonder Woman), colorist Francesco Segala, and letterer Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou for an the action-packed, sci-fi adventure in the forthcoming If Destruction Be Our Lot Vol. 1. This trade paperback graphic novel will collect issues #1-4 of the ongoing series.

If Destruction Be Our Lot is a must read that blends the personality and wit of The Murderbot Diaries with the thematic depth of A Psalm for the Wild-Built and the expansive world building of Fallout.

In If Destruction Be Our Lot, humanity is extinct and all that remains are the robots who once helped us.The robots are happier now, doing their work without human interference. But not Abe, a robotic replicant of Abraham Lincoln in search of meaning beyond the daily grind. Abe believes there must be something more out there beyond the edge of the city. After nearly getting killed, he's determined to wander the Earth until he finds it ... or gets recycled trying.

Select praise for If Destruction Be Our Lot:

“A bleak, hilarious look at artificial intelligence, real history, and the messed up borderland in between.” — Patton Oswalt

“Sometimes you need a few robots to tell a great story about being human. This is the can’t miss sci-fi comic of the year.” — James Tyrion IV

“It’s a rare treat to find something that feels wholly unique in the comics landscape. I’m delighted to report that If Destruction be Our Lot … is that book.” — Kelly Thompson

“Make this a part of your regular programming.” — Kieron Gillen

“There is something really special about this title, and for those who give this one a chance, I think you’ll see what I’m talking about.” — Comicbook.com

“An interesting narrative with an enticing hook backed by tremendous art will no doubt keep you engaged for the long haul.” — Comic Watch

“A masterpiece.” — Nerd Initiative

“A truly unique angle on the idea of artificial intelligence with a story that's witty, wise, and well-crafted.” — AIPT

I've read the issues contained herein, and I have to say the story been moving pretty slow, and the author has been chintzy with the reveals. But it's entertained me enough that I'll continue, and I can see how it would make a pretty good TV show. 

31271877872?profile=RESIZE_192X31271877694?profile=RESIZE_192X31271877888?profile=RESIZE_192X31271878066?profile=RESIZE_192X31271878262?profile=RESIZE_192X

***  

NARCO TP

31271878680?profile=RESIZE_192X31271879061?profile=RESIZE_192XFrom the creative duo behind bestselling Plastic-Verse titles — Plastic, Plush, Vinyl and I Was A Fashion School Serial Killer — comes the absurdist thriller, Narco. Issues #1-5, of this recent standalone story in the interconnected-universe of horror titles by Doug Wagner and Daniel Hillyard will be collected and available in its entirety in trade paperback this Fall from Image Comics.

The Plastic-Verse series have collectively sold over 400K copies worldwide to date and have quickly become fan-favorites among readers drawn to Wagner and Hillyard’s unique blend of dark humor, horror, crime, and surprising emotional depth. This latest entry into their oeuvre, Narco, shares similar DNA and has instantly resonated with the growing fandom.

In Narco, readers meet Marcus Wesphal, a man with a rare form of narcolepsy: When he gets excited, he blacks out. He’s adapted: homebound life and a harmless infatuation with the girl next door. But when he witnesses her murder (and then immediately, annoyingly, passes out) he becomes suspect number one. Now, he must leave his apartment to pursue her killer and clear his name.

I haven't read any of this one. And probably won't, unless a Legionnaire recommends it.

 

31271879074?profile=RESIZE_192X31271879258?profile=RESIZE_192X31271879264?profile=RESIZE_192X31271879452?profile=RESIZE_192X

***  

TALES OF WONDER #2 (OF 5)

31271890486?profile=RESIZE_192X31271890856?profile=RESIZE_192X Today, Skybound and Image Comics revealed preview pages and the lineup of variant covers for Tales of Wonder #2, the second issue of the new limited series from superstar creator/writer/artist Steve Skroce (We Stand on Guard, Wolverine, The Matrix Trilogy), colorist Ian Herring (Ms. Marvel, The Shaolin Cowboy), and letterer Pat Brosseau (G.I. Joe: A Real American Hero).

Holy crap! It’s AMERICA’S FREEDOM FORCE! But if Stu and Jake’s legendary comic book heroes are now in our world, where are the villains?

"One part Kavalier and Clay, one part Galaxy Quest. A witty, wildly cartooned book about comics breaking your heart and also shooting at you.” — Kieron Gillen (The Power Fantasy, Young Avengers)

"Comic fantasy and the reality of comics blend together in equal parts brutal satire and brilliant adventure." — Matthew Rosenberg (If Destruction Be Our Lot, Spawn)

Shoot! I never got around to reading the first issue, despite an advance review copy. Is it worthwhile, Legionnaires?

31271891060?profile=RESIZE_192X31271891073?profile=RESIZE_192X31271890697?profile=RESIZE_192X

31271891268?profile=RESIZE_192X31271891276?profile=RESIZE_400x

*** 

G.I. JOE A REAL AMERICAN HERO/TOMB RAIDER #1 (OF 5)

31271879682?profile=RESIZE_192X31271879700?profile=RESIZE_192XKNOWING IS HALF THE BATTLE. RAIDING IS THE OTHER HALF!

G.I. JOE and LARA CROFT meet for THE FIRST TIME EVER in an all-new limited series from superstars Kyle Higgins and Elena Casagrande that reveals the classified connection between these pop culture icons. 

Lara Croft has explored some of the most dangerous locations on Earth, but nothing as treacherous as Cobra Island.

For this adventure, she’ll need the help of her old acquaintance, Shipwreck, and several squads of Joes to mount a dangerous expedition into the heart of the island to recover a treasure that’s been hidden there for decades. One that Destro and Baroness will do anything to get their hands on first...

I'm not reading the "Energon Universe" titles, but if I were to do so, this would be the sort of title I'd read. No giant robots, no outer-space shenanigans — just a fun, Saturday morning-style, human-scale team-up.

Well, I hope it is. It's probably all angsty and grim 'n' gritty.

31271879895?profile=RESIZE_192X31271880457?profile=RESIZE_192X31271880653?profile=RESIZE_192X

 31271889680?profile=RESIZE_192X31271889696?profile=RESIZE_192X31271889870?profile=RESIZE_192X31271889887?profile=RESIZE_192X

31271880863?profile=RESIZE_192X31271880876?profile=RESIZE_192X31271880888?profile=RESIZE_192X31271881067?profile=RESIZE_710x

***  

AVENGELYNE #1

31271883299?profile=RESIZE_192X31271883485?profile=RESIZE_192XThe legendary Rob Liefeld (Youngblood, Badrock, Deadpool) will team up with fan-favorite artist Daniel Mainé for the upcoming series launch of Avengelyne. This iconic ’90s Liefeld creation will take center stage with an all-new beginning. It will launch from this November from Image Comics in advance of the already-in-development film at Warner Bros.

The debut issue will also feature eye-popping variant covers by Diógenes Neves (Spider-Verse Unlimited Infinity Comics), Shannon Maer, Dan Lawlis, Andy Park (Avengelyne, Tomb Raider), and Ben Bradi.

"Avengelyne is all the way back! Finding a creative partner on par with Daniel Mainé was essential in creating these new adventures," said Liefeld. "Daniel is blowing me away, a perfect match for our Avengeing Angel! As with all my titles, I wait until the right talent manifests and I wouldn’t be doing this without Daniel, his work is certain to impress!”

Everyone’s favorite Avenging Angel is back! In Avengelyne, a Priest who is losing his faith is challenged by the emergence of a mysterious Angel. Avengelyne’s arrival invites the attention of Belisle, a wealthy demon lord as she is targeted by demonic forces seeking to turn her to their cause.

New readers and classic comics fans alike Youngblood, Spawn and Vampirella won’t want to miss this all-new direction for one of Liefeld’s most beloved characters.

Raise your hand if you think Rob Liefeld is "legendary"! Stomp your feet if you think Avengelyne is "iconic"! If you did those things, this book is for you!

It is, however, not for me.

31271883669?profile=RESIZE_192X31271883680?profile=RESIZE_192X31271883695?profile=RESIZE_192X31271884255?profile=RESIZE_192X31271883892?profile=RESIZE_192X31271884272?profile=RESIZE_192X

***  

 

SKINBREAKER DLX ED HC

 SKINBREAKER BLACK & WHITE DLX ED HC

31087179496?profile=RESIZE_192X31087180054?profile=RESIZE_192XToday Skybound and Image Comics announced a pair of deluxe hardcovers collecting all eight issues of the hit series Skinbreaker. Available in full color or black and white, both editions are Treasury-sized to capture every detail of the critically acclaimed series from the iconic creative team of co-creator/writer Robert Kirkman (Invincible, The Walking Dead), co-creator/artist David Finch (Batman, New Avengers), colorist Annalisa Leoni (Invincible Universe: Battle Beast), and letterer Rus Wooton (TRANSFORMERS). 

Appreciate the visionary story from the dream team of Robert Kirkman and David Finch in these deluxe hardcover editions sitting at a whopping 8.5” x 13.5,” one in full stunning color and one in breathtaking black and white.

"Skinbreaker is a project near and dear to my heart,” said Robert Kirkman. “I’m so proud of the series David and I were able to create together, and I think the massive presentation of these two hardcover editions is the perfect way to experience the series. In full color you’ll see all the masterful details of the art with the lush colors added by Annalisa Leoni. In black and white you’ll see David’s stunning inkwork on full display. I don’t think fans can really prepare themselves for how stunning this book looks in black and white. It’ll definitely be a hard choice to make this November!” 

"So much time and effort were put into this series,” said David Finch. “To know that fans will get to see all that hard work in these stunning hardcover collections really makes it all worthwhile. I can’t wait to hold these books in my hands.” 

Enor had led his tribe for many seasons, but his time as Chieftan is coming to an end. He wields the mighty SKINBREAKER, but at his age, he can barely lift it. Will Enor’s reluctant heir, Anok, take over before their world turns to ruin? As a bloody power struggle begins, an even bigger threat lurks in the darkness beyond their village.  

“David Finch and Robert Kirkman’s Skinbreaker is exhilarating, heartbreaking, and timeless. Only a hardcover this size could hope to contain the most incredible art you’ve seen in your life,” said Sean Mackiewicz, SVP, Publisher, Skybound. “No one else makes comics like this!”

I know Jeff is super-enthusiastic about this series, which is all I need to know. I didn't read it as it came out, so I'll catch up here.

MORE IMAGE

CROWBOUND #2

DEADLY TALES OF THE GUNSLINGER SPAWN #19

DEATH VIGIL (2026) #3 (OF 6) 

LUTHER STRODE #1 ANNIVERSARY EDITION

LUTHER STRODE #1 ANNIVERSARY TREASURY EDITION

MASK #5

OF THE EARTH #6 (OF 6)

STARHENGE BOOK TWO: A KISS FOR ATTICUS #4 (OF 4)

THE TRAP OGN TP

THE WALKING DEAD DELUXE #146 

*** 

NO. 4: IDW PUBLISHING

DIRTY DONNY MUST BE DESTROYED: THE ART OF DONNY GILLIES

31081033284?profile=RESIZE_400x31081033098?profile=RESIZE_400xThings are about to get dirty! Break out the black light and crank up the tunes as one of the most celebrated visual artists in music and pop culture, Donny​ Gillies, is set to release a stunning collection of his work with Dirty Donny Must Be Destroyed: The Art of Donny Gillies, in stores September 29.

 This 224-page memoir coffee table book celebrates the renegade spirit and art of Donny Gillies, better known as Dirty Donny — one of the most influential artists to invade the pop culture scenes of the punk, rock ‘n’ roll, and heavy metal underground. Known for his distinct style on concert poster art, Stern pinball machines, and skate decks Donny’s iconic images have graced from some music’s biggest acts, include Metallica, Kiss, Aerosmith, Primus, NOFX, and the Melvins, as well as his stunning black light poster art for the Netflix hit series Stranger Things. Donny’s visceral, blacklight-charged style has earned him collaborations with major brands and bands and a reputation as a go-to artist for anything that needs attitude and heat.

 “I have been working closely with IDW to bring you something above and beyond any project I have ever tackled. From physical UV reactive Blacklight pages, poster pull-out features, deep dives into my personal archives and in depth storytelling from myself and some of Rock's most infamous characters, this promises to be one bang-on piece of pop culture,” says Donny. “That's just the tip of the iceberg,  I'm very excited to have the opportunity to put my life's work all in this one coffee table book. Artwork from the very beginning all the way up to my best and most recent works to date.”

 “Donny is a true master of his craft, an insanely talented painter and illustrator, always working, always pushing himself.” — Brann Dailor, Mastodon

 This monster volume busts Donny’s studio door wide open; featuring UV reactive blacklight printed pages of unpublished pieces, rare rock posters, prints, custom and production pinball machines, as well as automotive finishes on drums, helmets, cars, and guitars sit alongside candid essays, and interview-style narration with the man himself. Diving into the last decade of his work and curating the most iconic images of his career, Dirty Donny Must Be Destroyed​functions as both an art-book treasure trove and an oral history, ‘the big book of Donny,” as he calls it—gives fans and collectors new context for the images they’ve loved and the behind-the-scenes detail they crave. This is truly a must-have for both Donny fans and connoisseurs of the rock aesthetic.

An email I got a few days ago indicates this came out last week. I didn't see it in PRH's list or the Box.com stuff I get from IDW, so I had no idea.  

THIS WEEK AT IDW (MAYBE)

 

STAR TREK HOLO-WEEN II #1

31272024278?profile=RESIZE_192X31272024895?profile=RESIZE_192XAuthor Alex Segura
Illustrated by Bailie Rosenlund
Cover Design or Artwork by Bailie Rosenlund

A Halloween mystery unfolds on Deep Space 9!
On the eve of a high-stakes diplomatic summit, Deep Space 9 is thrown into chaos by a sudden communications blackout and a string of deeply unsettling incidents. With senior leadership called away, Worf, Dax, Odo, and Bashir must hold the station together as tensions rise among visiting dignitaries.

Then, a distressed starship arrives with explosive claims—and one member of the DS9 crew stands accused of murder. As suspicion spreads and paranoia takes hold, a creeping sense of dread settles over the Promenade. And somewhere inside the station’s holosuites, something has gone terrifyingly wrong…

A locked-station thriller begins here.

I didn't read last year's Holo-Ween story, because I don't much care for holodeck stories. Holodecks malfunction so often that any rational organization would ban them from starships. And why do holodecks even have a "disable safety protocols" command? Aren't they worried about holo-suicide? And then there was Barkley having holo-sex with holo-Beverly and holo-Deanna ... ick. 

Well, I don't actually know the premise of THIS story, so I shouldn't pre-judge. But holodecks, I mean ... just say no, OK? 

31272025083?profile=RESIZE_192X31272025267?profile=RESIZE_192X31272025280?profile=RESIZE_192X31272025293?profile=RESIZE_192X31272025468?profile=RESIZE_192X

*** 

GODZILLA'S MONSTERPIECE THEATRE PRESENTS: KAIJU OF OZ #1

31272024679?profile=RESIZE_192XAuthor Mike Costa
Illustrated by Ryan Browne
Cover Design or Artwork by Tom Scioli

Welcome to the Wonderful Land of Oz—where houses fall from the sky, scarecrows and tin men come to life, witches rule from specific compass directions, and…Godzilla reigns supreme?! That’s right, Godzilla is finally coming to Emerald City to meet the Wizard, and once it’s here, every land will be Munchkinland. Maybe the Cowardly Lion was on to something.

Brought to you by superstar artist Ryan Browne (8 Billion Genies, Lucky Devils, Curse Words) and Mike Costa (Venom, Spider-Verse). Also featuring the final part of Tom Scioli’s “Godzilla vs. Robin Hood”!

I don't care what planet you're from, that there is funny.

*** 

GODZILLA #13

BETWEEN THE TREES WHERE NOBODY SEES HALLOWEEN SPECIAL

TMNT: JOURNEYS #14

*** 

NO. 5: DARK HORSE

KILL ALL IMMORTALS III #1 (OF 5)

31092752268?profile=RESIZE_192XWriter: Zack Kaplan
Artist: Francesco Mortarino

Rocha and Otsmane-Elhaou return for the violently fantastic conclusion of Kaplan’s immortal Viking trilogy alongside Manna’s high impact artwork. The series is heralded as Succession meets John Wick with the fever-pitch action of heroines like Erika Slaughter. The action-packed series finale will see Viking warrior Frey Asvald face a broken family, a modern world of immortal rivals, and the ultimate question — will she free herself from immortality or accept it? Ringo-Award winning, Clio-winning cover artist Oliver Barrett returns with Francesco Manna for some killer Issue #1 covers.

“I cannot wait to bring you the finale of Kill All Immortals,” exclaims Kaplan. “This series has been a big hit since it came out, capturing an exciting family drama of barbaric Vikings in our modern world. We’re so lucky to be joined by Marvel superstar Francesco Manna to deliver a poetic and action-packed conclusion to Frey Asvald’s story. We will not be holding back! It will be worthy of the series we’ve given you so far!”

The Asvalds were once a billionaire Viking family with the secret to immortality, until the family’s only daughter, Frey Asvald, led a rebellion against their barbaric father. Now, with their family splintered and wounded, they find a daunting world of rival immortals seeking their demise at every turn. As Frey takes on her most deadly adversaries yet, she must finally decide what is most important, her freedom from war or her Viking vengeance.

Begins the action-packed finale of this three-part series!

“Kill All Immortals is a hell of a book about family, lineage, and what happens when we seize our destiny with blood and emotional strength.” — AIPT

It baffles me that I haven't been all over this from the beginning. Vikings! Norse myth! Big swords! But somehow I didn't get started when it launched, and now I'm two miniseries behind. I will catch up. I MUST!

SEE PREVIEW

*** 

HELLBOY IN HELL: NOTHING BUT BLOOD #1 (OF 2)

31271853681?profile=RESIZE_192XWriter: Mike Mignola · Cyrille Pomès
Artist: Cyrille Pomès

Hellboy steps in to save a young woman being chased by winged beasts deep in Hell in the midst of an uprising against the most powerful demons. But nothing — and no one — are what they seem to be.

Mike Mignola is joined by artist Cyrille Pomès (Moon, 6,000 Miles to Freedom), colorist Dave Stewart, and letterer Clem Robins for this misadventure in Pandemonium set after the events of Hellboy in Hell #8: “The Hounds of Pluto” Part Two.

“I hadn’t planned to return to Hellboy’s HELL — I certainly didn’t think I’d ever let anyone else in there. But I love Márk’s work, and when we met he said he wanted to do a story set there. Well, how could I say no?” said Mike Mignola. “Fortunately, there were a couple big holes between the chapters I’d drawn and I thought Márk would have fun with those two dead soldiers we meet in 'The Three Gold Whips' — and he did! I only gave him a rough outline for a story, and he took it from there. And as things took shape, we found a place to introduce a bit more of the history of the place. Every time I think we are done with this thing it seems we find there are just a few more bits and pieces to explore, which I guess is a good thing.”

First published between 2012-2016, Hellboy in Hell is a major milestone for the Hellboy Universe that finally revealed the truth about Hellboy’s origins. Now, a decade after its conclusion, Mike Mignola is teaming up with a new generation of artists to expand his vision of Hell.

“Ever since reading Hellboy in Hell, Mike's version of the place (Hell) always felt like such a fun, rich visual playground to me: all those dark landscapes, the endless, bleak villages, the set of characters lurking inside,” said László. “When I spoke with Mike about what could I do as a next Hellboy project, I knew I wanted to draw a story that is set in there. To my delight, he found a spot between two of the chapters of his original run where I could expand the story a little, and the whole thing was built up from there. It's all made up of stuff I’m very happy to draw: Hellboy stumbling through parading demons, dancing skeletons, bloody fights, and I even got to draw a few glimpses from the history behind this version of Hell."

Praise for HELLBOY IN HELL

“The most purely beautiful vision of hell this side of Gustave Doré.” — THE GUARDIAN

“One of the great sagas of the modern comic book industry.” — IGN

“Epic, perfectly paced, and profoundly dark. Hellboy is comics. It’s what the medium is all about.”—NERDIST

“Hellboy in Hell may be Mike Mignola’s masterpiece.” — VICE

He may now be dead longer than he was alive, but I'll still read me some Hellboy when he's available. I just won't pay any attention to continuity.

SEE PREVIEW

*** 

MORE DARK HORSE

CONCRETE: STARS OVER SAND #4: I know Jeff is reading this. Anybody else?

GRENDEL: DEVIL'S CRUCIBLE— SEDITION #3

KINGDOM OF EARTH #3: I am reading this, and enjoying it.

ONLY THE SAVAGE ARE LEFT #4: Ditto.

THE RING: THE MAN WHO BEAT THE MAN #4: I don't like boxing comics any more than I like boxing movies. Or boxing, for that matter.

WITNESS POINT #3

COLLECTIONS

BIRDKING VOLUME 4 TPB

THE CREDITS ROLL INTO THE SEA VOLUME 2 TPB

CRITICAL ROLE: THE MIGHTY NEIN ORIGINS OMNIBUS VOLUME 2 TPB

***  

NO. 6: DYNAMITE ENTERTAINENT

ALTERED STATES: WARLORDS #4

BEN 10 #1 CREATOR FILES (ONE-SHOT): Ben 10 seems to be doing very well for Dynamite.

RED SONJA: SHE DEVIL WITH A SWORD #6

31271888684?profile=RESIZE_192X31271888695?profile=RESIZE_192X(W) Rory McConville (A) Pablo De Bonis (CA) Lucio Parrillo

As things continue to fall out from the battle with Rising Sun, Red Sonja takes a moment and attends a wedding...unfortunately, the Bride is somewhat less than human! Cover artists include: Stuart Sayger, Lucio Parillo, Joseph Michael Linsner, Mike Rooth and a stunning piece of cosplay by Victoria Recchione!

Here's the end to the first story of this iteration of the title. By way of review, I've enjoyed it well enough to get to the end. Will I continue with #7 and a new story? Probably.

31271888880?profile=RESIZE_192X31271889068?profile=RESIZE_192X31271888900?profile=RESIZE_192X31271889094?profile=RESIZE_192X

*** 

SUPERNATURAL: DEAN WINCHESTER #1

31271887091?profile=RESIZE_192X31271888293?profile=RESIZE_192XWriter: Chuck Brown
Artist: Rapha Lobosco

DEAN WINCHESTER, IN HIS OWN SERIES FOR THE FIRST TIME! It's an all-new adventure by Eisner-Award winning writer CHUCK BROWN (Bitter Root) and star artist RAPHA LOBOSCO (Mumm-Ra The Ever-Living)! He's hurt. He's alone. It's Mardi Gras. The streets of New Orleans are crawling with creepiness, and the elder Winchester brother is determined to close a case his dad never could. To do so, he might have to murder a god. This issue features a cover by Stephen Byrne that connects with a cover on SUPERNATURAL: SAM WINCHESTER #1!

I'm not a Supernatural buff, but maybe you are.

There's a companion series titled Supernatural: Sam Winchester, but I don't know if it's out yet.

31271888658?profile=RESIZE_192X 31271887453?profile=RESIZE_192X31271887475?profile=RESIZE_192X31271887492?profile=RESIZE_192X

31271887853?profile=RESIZE_192X31271887873?profile=RESIZE_192X31271887886?profile=RESIZE_192X31271888253?profile=RESIZE_192X

*** 

 

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

★
★
★
★
★
Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

  • NO. 7: VIZ MEDIA

    BORUTO: TWO BLUE VORTEX VOL. 6

    DANDADAN VOL. 21

    FUSHIGI YÛGI: BYAKKO SENKI VOL. 5

    ICHI THE WITCH VOL. 5

    KILL BLUE VOL. 9

    MARRIAGE TOXIN VOL. 15

    PHANTOM BUSTERS VOL. 5

    SHINOBI UNDERCOVER VOL. 3

    THE BUGLE CALL: SONG OF WAR VOL. 9

    THE DEMON PRINCE OF MOMOCHI HOUSE: SUCCESSION, VOL. 3

    *** 

    NO. 8: BOOM! STUDIOS

    MINOR ARCANA #19 

    *** 

    NO. 9: KONDANSHA

    THE MAGNIFICENT BASTARD VOLUME 4

    BLUE LOCK FULL COLOR SELECTION VOLUME 1

    WELCOME TO DEMON SCHOOL! IRUMA-KUN VOLUME 22

    SECONDHAND SISTERS VOLUME 3

    PEACH BOY RIVERSIDE VOLUME 16

    MY JOURNEY TO HER

    MF GHOST VOLUME 8

    THE SEVEN DEADLY SINS: FOUR KNIGHTS OF THE APOCALYPSE VOLUME 23

    *** 

    NO. 10: ONI PRESS

    SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH #1

    31271873300?profile=RESIZE_192X31271873491?profile=RESIZE_192XWritten by CORINNA BECHKO
    Art/Cover by KANO

    THIS OCTOBER, YOUR LOCAL TEENAGE WITCH IS CONJURING UP SOME MISCHIEF!

    Oni Press— the multiple Eisner and Harvey Award-winning publisher of groundbreaking comics and graphic novels since 1997— and the world-renowned Archie Comic Publications Inc. are proud to unveil the first look inside the pages for SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH #1, the latest in a stunning and fun-fueled new line of Archie comics from Oni Press beginning this fall! This October — just in time for Halloween — join Hugo Award-nominated writer Corinna Bechko (Green Lantern: Earth One, EC’s Blood Type) and Eisner Award-nominated artist Kano (Daredevil, EC’s Cruel Universe) to summon a new spell of magic and mischief in a brand-new ongoing series hell-bent on launching comics’ most iconic sorceress-in-training into a spectacular new era for Archie Comics!

    “I couldn't have conjured a project I'd be more excited to write than SABRINA!” said writer Corinna Bechko. “Thank goodness I couldn't do magic as a teen because the results would have certainly been dire. Fortunately, Sabrina can rely not only on her two witchy aunts and her mortal friends but on her trusty if acerbic feline familiar as well. They all help keep her grounded, not an easy thing to achieve when you're a teenaged witch!”

    Who’d ever want to be ordinary when you could be a teenage witch instead? Still reeling from the surprise revelation of her secret birthright and with Halloween just around the corner, high schooler Sabrina Spellman is honing her craft one hex at a time and figuring out how to balance her magical new life with the crushing responsibilities of being 16 years old. But when her feline familiar Salem drops a mythical trickster on Sabrina’s literal doorstep, she might not be able to keep her two worlds from smashing together like two busted pumpkins on All Hallow’s Eve. No time for fate. No time for destiny. No time for homework. Being a teenager is far from magical ... even when you’re a witch!

    “I love Sabrina — both for her fun, spellbinding exploits but also for all the things that make her particularly human,” said editor Megan Brown. “What costume should she wear to the upcoming Halloween party? Does Harvey have a crush on the new girl? What will happen if anyone in school finds out she can do magic?! Digging into Sabrina’s world has reminded me that you don’t have to be less to be yourself — and that you should always feel a bit magical.”

    A new era is summoned forth this October, only in SABRINA THE TEENAGE WITCH #1 by Hugo Award nominee Corinna Bechko and Eisner Award nominee Kano — featuring a covers by spellbinding cast of talents including Kano, Marguerite Sauvage (Action Comics), Naomi Franq (Tales from Harrow County: Death's Choir), Caroline Cash (PeePee PooPoo), Dan Parent (Life with Kevin), Erica Henderson (The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl), and Mahmud Asrar (Conan the Barbarian)!

    I'll certainly give this a try, but I'm not commited for the long run. I liked the recent Archie #1 well enough, but I may have aged out of teenage hi-jinks comics. I hope younger fans get hooked, though, because I'd hate for Archie comics (even if they're by Oni) to die in my lifetime.

     31271874055?profile=RESIZE_192X31271874066?profile=RESIZE_192X31271874082?profile=RESIZE_192X31271874097?profile=RESIZE_192X31271874262?profile=RESIZE_192X31271873684?profile=RESIZE_192X31271874294?profile=RESIZE_192X31271874300?profile=RESIZE_192X31271874489?profile=RESIZE_192X31271874496?profile=RESIZE_192X31271875053?profile=RESIZE_192X31271875070?profile=RESIZE_192X31271875255?profile=RESIZE_192X31271875267?profile=RESIZE_192X31271875280?profile=RESIZE_192X31271874878?profile=RESIZE_192X 

    *** 

    OTHER PUBLISHERS

    AHOY COMICS

    TOXIC AVENGER VS. THE NOXIOUS OFFENDER #1 (OF 5): Sigh. The one franchise I don't enjoy from Ahoy. But apparently it's their cash cow.

    *** 

    CLOVER PRESS

    Does anybody buy these? Well, here they are.

    MARVEL PORTFOLIO OF MIKE DEL MUNDO MARVEL UNIVERSE 9 PRINT SET

    MARVEL PORTFOLIO OF MIKE DEL MUNDO SPIDER-MAN 9 PRINT SET

    MARVEL PORTFOLIO OF MIKE DEL MUNDO X-MEN 9 PRINT SET

    *** 

    FANTAGRAPHICS

    FORMING HC: "Forming is an eon-spanning, psychedelic, metaphysical, mystical, and epic work of modern mythology and comedy: a retelling of the trajectory of consciousness on planet Earth." You don't say.

    PALOMAR: THE HEARTBREAK SOUP STORIES HC: Never been into Beto.

    REQUIEM FOR GAZA HC

    31272027484?profile=RESIZE_192XIn a profound and elegiac work of investigative journalism, the writer Chris Hedges and the cartoonist Joe Sacco collaborate to present the testimony of displaced Palestinians who survived the genocide.

    In the spring of 2025 the cartoonist Joe Sacco, author of Palestine and Footnotes in Gaza, and Chris Hedges, the former Middle East Bureau Chief for The New York Times, traveled to Cairo where they interviewed 29 Palestinian families who had recently left Gaza. In Requiem for Gaza, they use the experience and stories of these families to detail the crucible of the genocide, the loss of homes and communities, the appalling death toll among friends and loved ones, the constant displacement, the terror of indiscriminate killing, the hunger and deprivation, the obliteration of all that was known and familiar, and the struggle to cope with the callous indifference of a world that continues to supply Israel with weapons despite its wholesale destruction of Gaza and mass slaughter.

    Requiem for Gaza, like their New York Times best seller Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt, combines comics and single images drawn by Sacco within the narrative written by Hedges. Hedges’ vivid prose and Sacco’s visceral images complement each other and together paint a portrait of dignity and suffering under genocide. The collective power of the individual stories that chronicle the first day of the genocide, the forced evacuation of homes, the targeted assassinations, the false hopes engendered by ceasefires, the dislocation and alienation of exile, the brutal killing and hasty burial of family members, and the humiliation of living under tarps without clean food and water bring every aspect of the genocide to life. Set against this horror are stories of self-sacrifice and compassion that show how Palestinians not only clung to their humanity, but morally triumphed over their killers.

    From Fantagraphics publisher and Requiem for Gaza Editor Gary Groth:

    Chris Hedges and Joe Sacco, along with a handful of other courageous journalists, have been at the forefront of providing rigorous reportage and steadfast opposition to Israel's genocide and the IDF's atrocities against the Palestinian people — in the face of a largely insensate international response. We are proud to publish this vigorously researched and blazingly humane work of investigative journalism.

    Too depressing.

    SANTOS SISTERS VOL 2 HC: I'm glad to see this concept survived the collapse of its original publisher (whose name I've already forgotten). 

    *** 

    PS ARTBOOKS

    I think I have most of these already. Maybe the distributor is playing catch-up, after the mysterious pause in PS shipments a year or so ago.

    GOLDEN AGE CLASSICS: AMAZING MAN VOL 1 HC

    PRE-CODE CLASSICS: GHOST RIDER VOL 2 HC

    PS ARTBOOKS: AIRBOY VOL 3 TP

    PS ARTBOOKS: BULLETMAN VOL 5 TP

    PS ARTBOOKS: CHAMBER OF CHILLS VOL 5 HC FACSIMILE SLIPCASE EDITION

    PS ARTBOOKS: HAND OF FATE VOL 1 TP

    GOLDEN AGE CLASSICS: THE SPIRIT VOL 2 HC

    PS ARTBOOKS MAGAZINE: SCREAM #1

    PS ARTBOOKS MAGAZINE: SCREAM #8

    PS ARTBOOKS PRESENTS: CLASSIC HORROR COMICS VOL 11 HC

     *** 

    TITAN COMICS

    AOASHI 3 IN 1 EDITION VOL 2 TP

    CONAN AND DRAGONERO #6 (OF 7)

    31271846479?profile=RESIZE_192X(W) Luca Enoch, Stefano Vietti (A) Lorenzo Nuti (CA) Mirko Colac

    Pulled to the mysterious land of Erondár by dark forces, Conan comes face to face with the famed dragon slayer, Dragonero, and the two warriors must set aside suspicion to stand back-to-back against a supernatural force poised to doom both their worlds.

    ***  

    CONAN THE BARBARIAN: THE NOMAD DELUXE COLLECTOR’S EDITION HC

    31271849862?profile=RESIZE_192X(W) Jim Zub (A/CA) Alex Horley

    The landmark 25th issue of this epic series from critically acclaimed writer Jim Zub and inimitable Alex Horley is forged anew! Featuring the fully painted, special extended strip THE NOMAD, alongside exclusive bonus content that includes unseen artwork, interviews and more. Conan the King welcomes a strange visitor with an even stranger mission. Can the Ruler of Aquilonia prove his mettle or will the mysterious wanderer’s incredible power change the course of history? 

    *** 

    EDGAR ALLAN POE: A TALE OF MYSTERY AND INTERVENTION HC

    31271848887?profile=RESIZE_192X(W/A/CA) Norm Konyu
    HC, 56 pp, FC, $19.99

    From Aurora Award–winning creator Norm Konyu comes a graphic novel that dares to make the Master of the Macabre smile.

    A darkly playful walk through the mind of Edgar Allan Poe, where humour, dread, and beauty collide this Halloween.

    When theatrical producer Thomas Evans meets his old friend Edgar Allan Poe in a gloomy tavern, he has a mission: to pull Poe back from the abyss, if only for one evening. As skulls crowd the table and death-haunted ideas spill forth, Thomas counters Poe’s macabre obsessions with verse, wit, and impossible hope … urging him to imagine a life beyond despair. 

    This graphic novel delights with wondrous art, each sumptuous double-page spread reinterprets a classic Poe tale (The Raven, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Fall of the House of Usher, The Masque of the Red Death, and more) twisting familiar symbols into something both reverent and slyly subversive. The result is a work steeped in dread and humour, rich with atmosphere, shivers, and visual invention.

    The book concludes with an insightful postscript in which Aurora-Award winner Norm Konyu unpacks each literary reference and reflects on Poe’s lasting influence on his own work and modern horror. Perfect for Halloween and beyond, Edgar Allan Poe is a love letter to the weird, the macabre, and the stories that refuse to let us go.

    “Working with Norm Konyu is always a joy. His distinctive, iconic art style makes him the perfect creator to tackle a literary legend like Edgar Allan Poe,” said Louis Yamani, the novel’s editor. “What we love most about this book is how Norm is able to have fun with Poe’s larger-than-life (or death) reputation while remaining respectful of the man and his legacy, creating a heartfelt and visually striking tribute to one of literature’s greatest figures.”

    So, historical fiction then? I hope this is a better Poe than the one in The Pale Blue Eye.

     31271886078?profile=RESIZE_192X31271886272?profile=RESIZE_400x

    31271886286?profile=RESIZE_192X31271886459?profile=RESIZE_400x

    *** 

    HAWKMOON: THE MAD GOD’S AMULET #1 (OF 2)

    31271847261?profile=RESIZE_192X31271847466?profile=RESIZE_192X(W) Jerome Le Gris (A) Benoit Dellac, Luca Bulgheroni (CA) Claudia Caranfa

    Set in a post-apocalyptic age of primitive industrialist technology and futuristic dark magic, Europe has been conquered by the tyrannical Granbretan empire led by King-Emperor Huon. Dorian Hawkmoon faces a race against a ticking clock to gain control over the black jewel embedded in his head and his only hope comes in the form of a hermit mage in a distant land. It is up to the Duke and a few strange allies to thwart the cult’s twisted beliefs and find the mage to allow Dorian Hawkmoon to lead the fight against the Granbretan Empire.

    When I was a teenager, I thought it daring for Moorcock to imagine his own country as the bad guy in this alternate timeline. He inverted all the inspiring myths and legends of his own culture into something evil, and I hadn't seen that before.

    It's been done a lot since (and probably before), but first learned is last forgot. I still think it's pretty cool.

     

    31271847491?profile=RESIZE_192X31271847667?profile=RESIZE_400x

    *** 

    THE SAVAGE SWORD OF CONAN: THE ORIGINAL COMICS OMNIBUS VOL 12

    31179202281?profile=RESIZE_192X31179203263?profile=RESIZE_192X(W) CHUCK DIXON, GERRY CONWAY, DOUG MURRAY
    (A) ANDY KUBERT, MICHAEL DOCHERTY
    Covers: JOE JUSKO, EARL NOREM
    PUBLISHER: TITAN COMICS & HEROIC SIGNATURES
    B&W, 844pp, $125.00

    Gerry Conway and Chuck Dixon take on the lion’s share of writing in this collection as they are joined by artistic luminaries Jorge Zaffino, a young Andy Kubert, Michael Docherty, Ernie Chan and more!

    An Omnibus full of firsts! This collection reprints for the first time Conan the Barbarian: Horn of Azoth! Originally written for the screen as Conan the Destroyer, the plot of this book ended up being so different from what the movie eventually became that Roy Thomas and Gerry Conway decided to repurpose their original work into this original graphic novel! This collection also includes the first and only Conan the Barbarian work of legendary Argentinian artist, Jorge Zaffino in the story titles “The Horned God”!

    Collecting: Savage Sword of Conan (1974) #159-171 and Conan the Barbarian: The Horn of Azoth graphic novel (1990) Marvel Graphic Novel #59.

    Just in case you don't think there's enough Conan this week.

    *** 

    SCHOOL FOR WIZARDS OLD ENOUGH TO LEARN MAGIC VOL 1 TP

    UFO ROBOT GRENDIZER #3 (OF 4)

    VAMPIRE SURVIVORS #2 (OF 4)

    31271850253?profile=RESIZE_192X31271850265?profile=RESIZE_192X(W) David Hazan (A) Jimmy Kucaj, Jao Canola (CA) Kit Wallis

    The events at Gallo Tower have shaken the Belpaese siblings. Their world is crumbling around them and none of them know why. Antonio seeks out a legendary survivor to train him, and must now conquer his greatest foe to date; senility. Meanwhile, Imelda and Gennaro hit the books at the Inlaid Library in hopes of finding a solution to their tricky problem.

     

     

    *** 

     

  • I know this will ruffle feathers...

    Not mine. I pretty much agree. We all know Kirby swiped the Demon's look from Hal Foster, right?

    PrinceValiantDemon-300x272.jpg

    (The mask is made from a skinned goose, and the "ears" are its feet.)

    Where have you gone, Roy Thomas? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.

    Woo, woo, woo.

    DC FINEST: GREEN LANTERN — SETTING UP SHOP TP - Didn't we decide that most of these stories have never been reprinted before?

    That is correct.

    I'm guessing this is Marvel's reaction to falling to No. 2...

    "When you're only #2, you try harder!"

    I didn't read [Skinbreaker] as it came out, so I'll catch up here.

    But b&w or color? (I guess it might depend on the paper stock.) Decisions, decisions...

    DIRTY DONNY MUST BE DESTROYED

    I'd be willing to bet the look of this book was inspired by Scott McCloud's...

    1103491.jpg

    The one franchise I don't enjoy from Ahoy.

    I very much agree. :(

     

  • Speaking of Ahoy, I had been saving the second Babs miniseries (Babs: Black Road South) to read all at once, and then issues #5-6 were canceled, and I began to think I'd never read them at all, but then #5 got re-solicited and came out and I grabbed the last shelf copy at my LCS, and last night I read issues #1-3. Loved them, of course. But I guess Toxic Avenger is what sells. I can't blame Ahoy for trying to stay in business, but evidently there are a lot of comics fans out there whose taste differs from mine.

  • I probably should not be shocked that there is a Sabrina series being published by Oni Press - I mean, why not - but it still surprises me slightly.

    I remember being puzzled by the Human Torch having a new series (named just "Torch") with both Marvel and Dynamite!'s logos back in 2009.  What did that mean exactly?

    Turns out that what it actually means is that sometimes it makes sense to hire talent from another studio, and that does not mean that the character will be unavailable of "changed forever" or anything of the sort.  It was unusual in decades past, but decades past did not have the ease of communications that we have now.

    More flexible contracts and financial arrangements probably play a part as well, and it is a good thing that those now exist.

    As for Etrigan, sure, it is not an inherently wonderful concept, and while good use has been made of it, it is no crime not to be thrilled by the original run.  Same for Kamandi, OMAC - or really, any Kirby title.  

    I think both fans and editors are misreading the appeal of the Absolute line (and I say that with all the undeniable authority that comes from never having read any): it is not appealling necessarily by virtue of featuring a far darker universe, but instead because it features a more daring, unusual set of storylines and art styles while also implying both less continuity baggage and less expectation of lasting commitment to the books.  In that sense it is probably more of a Vertigo successor than the recently revisited label or the previous Black Label series.

    Of course, I am extrapolating from my own dismay at how bloated and diffuse Marvel and to a somewhat lesser extent DC's main lines have become.  I can't imagine that Spider-Man readers are generally overjoyed that Marvel expects them to be willing to follow Venom series as well and assorted peripheral symbiote-led other books, for instance. And we have discussed how it is unfortunate that the latest Superman event goes beyond connecting with books such as Supergirl and Justice League Unlimited and instead expects readers to be well versed into concepts introduced in Superman Unlimited and not mind taking Kara out of her own established tone in her own book.

    Being a faithful reader of the big two these days is not just a major commitment, but also something of a puzzle and sometimes a trial.  Looking at you, symbiote books.

     

  • There already was a vampire Storm, ages ago. There's even a Bloodstorm action figure of her.

    If you're going to do a 'dark" FF, Ben should be completely human-looking, with any "darkness" on the inside.

    I've read the issues contained herein, and I have to say the story been moving pretty slow

    "There's Uncle Joe, he's movin' kinda slow, at the Junction..."

    Monsterpiece Theater does the best Godzilla comics that I've seen.

     

This reply was deleted.