Comics Guide for week of March 25, 2024

TOP PUBLISHERS

MARVEL COMICS

DAREDEVIL #7 guest stars Wolverine.

EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #2

12398701096?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402844064?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Kaare Andrews, Rich Douek | Art: Robert Quinn | Cover: Chad Wayne Hardin | Teen+ | $4.99

EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE, the now perennial Spider-Hit is back and it’s building to the next great Spider-Verse epic! Launching in February, the series will take readers to the bleeding edge of the Spider-Verse once more, reacquainting you with old favorites and introducing you to some of the most important web-slinging heroes you haven't met yet!

Previous installments of EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE saw all-star creators introduce the world to the likes of Spider-Gwen, Spider-Rex, and more. It also revealed secrets behind Spider-Boy’s origins and laid the groundwork for new eras of icons Spider-Man India and Araña. You won’t believe how the Web of Life and Destiny impacts Spider-Man storytelling this time as the possibilities of the Spider-Verse are unleashed in full!

After EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #1 kicks things off with the first appearance of Weapon VIII and the exciting comeback of the tech-savvy Spider-Byte, EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #2 takes things to the next level in March with the debut of a terrifying new baddie and a resurgence of a fan-favorite ‘90s wallcrawler!

• Visionary talent Kaare Andrews welcomes you to Spider-High, the most dangerous high school on Earth! Gluemy Miller is the new kid, and things aren’t looking good for him making it through his first year there with the villainous teachers actually trying to kill him. On the bright side, he may have a shot with the cute cheerleader, but who is the mysterious and deadly SPOOKY-MAN?!
  • Then, writer Rich Douek (Wastelanders: Star-Lord) and artist Bob Quinn (Way of X) bring back CYBORG SPIDER-MAN! The coolest Spider-Suit from the '90s has gone underused for too long! Don’t miss the most kick-ass Spider-Character’s star turn!

Introducing Spooky-Man (he's on the cover above). I have no idea how many Spider-people there are now. Good thing Bob's making a list!

The last cover is an homage to Marvel's Star Wars #35 (May 1980).

Diamond has a PREVIEW.

12402844078?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402844282?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402843899?profile=RESIZE_180x180

JACKPOT AND BLACK CAT #1 (OF 4)

12398710264?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402846667?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402846490?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Celeste Bronfman | Art: Emilio Laiso | Cover: Adam Hughes | Teen | $4.99

Felicia Hardy and Mary Jane Watson have always had more in common than they think, and this March, they’ll combine their wits, expertise and superpowers to take down an emerging new threat in JACKPOT AND BLACK CAT! The four-issue limited series is written by Celeste Bronfman, who penned both Mary Jane’s first outing as Jackpot earlier this year in Amazing Spider-Man #925 and her first solo issue as Jackpot that hits stands in January. Bronfman will be joined by rising Marvel star Emilio Laiso, the acclaimed artist known for his recent work on Guardians of the Galaxy and X-Men Unlimited. The series’ covers will come from renowned artist Adam Hughes.

After teaming up in Jed MacKay and C.F. Villa’s Eisner-nominated Black Cat & Mary Jane: Beyond one-shot as well as the Mary Jane & Black Cat “Dark Web” tie-in series, Mary Jane and Felicia Hardy have risen to be one of Marvel’s most dynamic duos. Now that Mary Jane is an up-and-coming superhero herself, they’ll take their bond to the next level on an action-packed adventure to take down a villain that’s blackmailing … EVERYONE, including Black Cat and Mary Jane. Tough choices and daring missions await as Mary Jane and Black Cat become entangled in a plot that’s brought the world to its knees.

LUCK BE THE LADIES! When someone blackmails Black Cat into a public and blatant crime spree, Jackpot comes to her aid! What classic Spider-Villain is behind the blackmail?! Someone with history with at least one of our titular heroines!

"MJ’s been a hero since day one, and I’m so excited to continue her journey as Jackpot — this time with Felicia Hardy by her side!” Bronfman shared. “Opposites attract, and I’ve always loved the push and pull of their friendship. Expect them to butt heads through heists, betrayals and the unexpected!"

You'd think a supermodel would have better taste in costumes. It looks like she's wearing workout garb from the mid-1980s.

Diamond has a PREVIEW.

12402846490?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402847056?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402847060?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402847068?profile=RESIZE_180x180

JEPH LOEB AND TIM SALE HULK GALLERY EDITION HC: Collects Hulk: Gray #1-6. I imagine with Tim Sale's death, we're going to see a lot of his work become available.

MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #18 

12398709688?profile=RESIZE_180x18012398710071?profile=RESIZE_180x180

Story: Cody Ziglar | Art: Various | Art/Cover: Federico Vicentini | Teen | $8.99

Revealed today at the Marvel: Amazing Spider-Man – Gang War Panel at L.A. Comic Con, Marvel Comics will celebrate a monumental milestone this March with MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #300! Series writer Cody Ziglar gave fans the full scoop about this epic issue that honors the title’s legacy with a pivotal chapter for Miles Morales who took over the Ultimate Spider-Man title in 2011 before his current adventures in the 616.

The giant-sized issue will serve as a crucial turning point for Ziglar’s current run as a plot that’s been building since the start comes to its full fruition! Featuring art by some of the industry’s leading talents, including Miles’ co-creator Sara Pichelli and current series artist Federico Vicentini, MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #18 will honor 300 issues with a grand battle between Spider-Man and his new arch-enemy — Rabble! Debuting in the latest run’s explosive opening arc, Rabble has been busy plotting her revenge against Spider-Man ever since she learned his secret identity! And the hyper-lethal Cape Killers led by Agent Gao, Scorpion and Hightail are also gunning to bring Spidey down at all costs. Luckily, Miles will have backup of his own — his uncle, Aaron Davis AKA the Prowler, and his best friend, Ms. Marvel!

Miles Morales is in for the fight of his life! Rabble has stepped from the shadows of “Gang War” for a rematch, and she’s sworn bloody revenge against Brooklyn’s wallcrawler! But this time, Rabble’s out-of-control powers and desperation have her poised to obliterate far more than just Spider-Man’s life. Don’t miss this thrilling story by sensational lineup of Spider-Creators with fabulous guest stars, twists and turns and REVELATIONS that will send your Spider-Senses reeling!

"To be completely honest it's very surreal to be able to write Miles' 300th issue,” Ziglar said. “This is a character I’ve been following and rooting for for almost 12 years now. There's so much crammed into this issue and I'm forever grateful that I have been trusted to continue to carry the torch for Miles after Bendis and Ahmed."

"Landmark 300th issue!" is no doubt Jeff's "Marvel Math" at work. At least it's not "300th anniversary!"

It's a big week for the ol' wallcrawler, with not only the two books above, but AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #46, SPIDER-GIRL MODERN ERA EPIC COLLECTION VOL 1: LEGACY TP, SPIDER-PUNK: ARMS RACE #2, SUPERIOR SPIDER-MAN #5 and ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #3.

Diamond has a PREVIEW.

12402847653?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402847853?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402847868?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402847674?profile=RESIZE_180x180

RISE OF THE POWERS OF X #3 (OF 5)

12391492660?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402848082?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Kieron Gillen | Art/Cover: R.B. Silva | Teen+ | $4.99

In RISE OF THE POWERS OF X #3, discover that the real end is never beginning! The past, present and future of Krakoa all rests in a trigger finger. The scenario you prayed would never happen plays out as two series that are one move toward a crash that will reverberate outside the universe.

Wait, are they pulling the ol' kill-Hitler-as-a-baby trick? Not that Moira doesn't deserve it. Just for the hat alone!

"Fall of X" continues this week in CABLE #3 and X-FORCE #50. 

Diamond has a PREVIEW.

12402848285?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402848290?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402848300?profile=RESIZE_180x180

WOLVERINE #46: "Sabretooth War" Part 6.

X-MEN '97 #1 (OF 4)

12398697890?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Steve Foxe | Art: Salva Espin | Cover: Todd Nauck | Teen+ | $4.99

This March, Marvel Comics is proud to present the official prelude comic series to the upcoming Marvel Studios animated series X-Men '97 coming soon to Disney+! Written by Steve Foxe and drawn by Salva Espín, the X-MEN ’97 comic was created in collaboration with the showrunners and will reveal what Cyclops, Jean Grey, Storm, Jubilee and the rest of the beloved X-Men cast have been up to in the time before their return. Get a head start at all the mutant drama, shocking developments, and exciting character introductions ahead of the hotly anticipated new series!

To celebrate the launch, acclaimed X-Men artist Russell Dauterman has turned out a stunning new cover for the debut issue. Few artists capture the X-Men’s style quite like Dauterman and this dynamic and action-packed wraparound variant cover depicts the iconic X-Men ’97 team looking better than ever! For the cover, Dauterman updated a piece of X-Men fan art he did years ago — the very piece that caught Marvel Comics’ attention!

"X-Men: The Animated Series was everything to me as a kid, and sparked my love of the X-Men and comics — I wouldn’t be a comic book artist without it! This piece is based on an X-Men: The Animated Series fan art I did a decade ago — the fan art that got me hired at Marvel! Now, it’s completely redone as an official cover to celebrate the new show. Absolutely thrilled to do this piece, and can’t wait for ’97!" Dauterman shared.

On writing the series, Steve Foxe told Marvel.com, “There's a very good chance I wouldn't be writing comics today if not for the impact X-Men: The Animated Series had on me as a kid — heck, the voice actors from the show are still the voices I hear when I read the comics today!” Foxe continued, “Getting to reunite with my X-Men '92: House of XCII collaborator Salva Espín on this official prelude to X-Men '97 has felt like a bucket-list project a lifetime in the making, and Beau [DeMayo] and the rest of the '97 team gave us a fantastic runway to come up with our own original tale that feeds right into what viewers will get to experience in the new season."

This show came along when I was in my 30s, so I didn't watch it. But apparently it turned whole generations into X-fans. I'm sorry I missed the X-perience.

Diamond has a PREVIEW.

12398698865?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402848888?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402849082?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DC COMICS

ABSOLUTE LUTHOR/JOKER HC: You might already have these two stories in separate editions, as I do.

BATMAN: THE DARK AGE #1 (OF 6)

12400268678?profile=RESIZE_180x18012400268691?profile=RESIZE_180x18012400268494?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Mark Russell | Art/Cover: Michael Allred | $5.99

Meet Bruce Wayne, Gotham’s favorite delinquent son. In an origin story like no other, witness the boy become a dark knight shaped by a city in turmoil as it marches towards its prophesied doom. Set against the backdrop of actual historical events, Gotham comes alive, filled with the iconic characters who've loved and hated Batman over the years like you've never seen them before. Spinning out of the Eisner-nominated Superman: Space Age, Mark Russell and Mike Allred return to give audiences a look at Batman as a figure in American history fighting for justice in a world gone mad.

I've yet to read Superman: Space Age, but I will when it's out in HC. This one, too.

PRIMER #1 (OF 4) is a previously published YA GN that has been cut up into four parts.

IMAGE COMICS

DUKE #4 (OF 5)

12392047096?profile=RESIZE_180x18012392047668?profile=RESIZE_180x18012392047678?profile=RESIZE_180x18012392047862?profile=RESIZE_180x18012392048057?profile=RESIZE_180x18012392047883?profile=RESIZE_180x18012392048263?profile=RESIZE_180x18012392048273?profile=RESIZE_180x180

FERAL #1

12398701491?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Tony Fleecs | Art: Trish Forstner, Tone Rodriguez | Cover: Trish Forster, Tony Fleecs | 43.99

The bestselling Stray Dogs creative team — Tony Fleecs and Trish Forstner — will reunite for Feral, first announced at The Hollywood Reporter. This all-new, ongoing seriesis perhaps best described as The Walking Dead meets The AristoCats.

Fleecs and Forstner are the creative duo behind the bestselling, breakout phenomenon Stray Dogs — a series which has sold nearly 1 million copies across all formats and first turned heads with its descriptor "Lady and the Tramp meets The Silence of the Lambs."

Now Fleecs and Forstner are back with a zombie-outbreak horror story for the cat-lovers.

In Feral, readers are introduced to Elsie, Lord Fluffy Britches and Patch, three indoor cats lost in the not-so-great outdoors during a nightmarish rabies outbreak. Without their humans to protect them, the cats rush to find their way home before they're eaten by the forest full of rabid beasts on their tails. Don’t get bit. Don’t get scratched. Don’t become … FERAL.

“We didn’t want to repeat ourselves with this follow-up book so it really was at first, thinking about: Okay, Stray Dogs is dogs trapped in a house. So, let's have this one be about what’s really frightening in wide open spaces. The antagonist in Stray Dogs is someone who’s evil from the inside out. So, let's have these cats face something that’s like an infection. An external threat. The stray dogs were forgetful … so these cats remember EVERYTHING,” said Fleecs in The Hollywood Reporter’s coverage of the announcement. “These cats hold a grudge. That’s what we did differently. But the thing we did the same way was, we tried to build the story on characters, and how they fit together and how they clash and then just … what's the worst possible situation we can put them in?”

Forstner added: “We are really trying to give the readers a story to remember. We’re pushing the boundaries of what we already established in our little niche of storytelling. I could have never seen myself even reading a scary story like this early on in my comics journey, but now I can't wait to see what happens next. Every page turn is a surprise.”

Just as the blurb says, they did a book for dog-lovers and now here's one for cat-lovers. I'm not a cat-lover, but even I respond to that Disney-style artwork. Cute!

Diamond has a PREVIEW.

Two of the images below homage Dawn of the Dead and Day of the Dead.

12398702053?profile=RESIZE_180x18012398702268?profile=RESIZE_180x18012398702280?profile=RESIZE_180x180

HACK/SLASH DELUXE EDITION VOL 4 HC: I made the same mistake with this title that I did with Madman. I saw the first volume in the solicitations and thought, "Oh, I read a few of those and liked 'em well enough. I'll get the whole series." But I was thinking the whole series would be one volume, maybe two. Now here we are on the fourth volume of Hack/Slash, and Madman has already hit vol. 5. Oh the humanity!

KILLADELPHIA #34: Guest starring Savage Dragon. I haven't yet read Killadelphia Vol 1 — it's in the to-read pile — but Savage Dragon? Spawn? Blacula? I suspect this series has jumped the shark.

LOCAL MAN: BAD GIRLS (ONE-SHOT)

12400272693?profile=RESIZE_180x18012400272868?profile=RESIZE_180x18012400272884?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Tim Seeley, Tony Fleecs | Art: Tony Fleecs | Cover: Brian Reber | Art/Cover: Tim Seeley | $.99

Inga Johanning, Local Man's ex-girlfriend and current archenemy, is on the run. Her journey will bring her face to face with her past, her crimes and two of the other badass ladies in the Local Man Universe — Neon peers through the pink fog to reveal her dark, violent origin; Frightside encounters Crossjack and tests the selfishness in his heart. A perfect jumping-on point for new readers and a must-have for fans who love — and especially those who hate — the long-gone days of blood-splattered breasts, big blades and bad girls. Features an epic triptych cover series by Tim Seeley & Brian Reber.

That first cover looks very familiar. I can picture Jean Grey in that pose, I think in her '90s outfit. But I couldn't find an antecedent, if there is one. 

NEWBURN #16: Final issue.

SAM AND TWITCH: CASE FILES #1

12392037672?profile=RESIZE_180x18012392037492?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Todd McFarlane | Art: Szymon Kudranski | Cover: Kevin Keane | $2.99

Todd McFarlane Productions is thrilled to announce an electrifying lineup of new titles, offered at competitive prices, to be dubbed "The New U" and to build upon the foundation laid by the smash-hit-maker Spawn Universe. This earthshaking new era will follow the monumental events of Spawn #350 and will kickoff with the upcoming Sam & Twitch: Case Files series launch.

The New U will offer fans a next-level reading experience featuring gripping storylines, dynamic characters and jaw-dropping plot twists — all while retaining the low introductory price points that make Spawn titles the best bargain in the industry to date.

First up, Sam & Twitch: Case Files will drop readers into the gritty world of crime-solving with everyone's fan-favorite Spawn Universe detectives in their own, brand-new series, Sam and Twitch: Case Files. Episodic tales of murder, intrigue and deception abound in this noir crime drama masterfully created by McFarlane, and co-plotted by Jon Goff. It boasts art by Szymon Kudrański (Something Epic), whose ultra-realistic visuals and cinematic style jump from the page and make it feel more like a movie than a comic.

Readers will join Sam and Twitch as they navigate the treacherous streets of New York City, gumshoeing and confronting the darkness lurking around every corner. For readers in search of a comic outside the traditional superhero action found in the other popular Spawn Universe tales, these Case Files will be true-crime style murder mystery cases, showcase film noir aesthetics, and unfold like an R-rated Drama. The Sam and Twitch characters were created in 1992 by McFarlane and appeared in the chart-topping, history-making launch of Spawn #1. They have been a staple in the Spawn Universe ever since.

Next, Rat City #1 will launch in April with an extra-length debut and feature the talents of Erica Schultz (The Deadliest Bouquet, Moon Knight: Black, White, and Blood) and Zé Carlos (Captain America, Strange Academy: Moon Knight). Readers will be immersed in the fantastical, sci-fi story of Peter Cairn, an ex-soldier an amputee and a Hellspawn in a post-war future. But Peter isn't dead like Al. Peter got his Spawn powers from the nanites in his prosthetic legs — nanites that were affected when Al Simmons initiated his necroplasmic detonation in the present. Al had no clue that the effects would ripple across — not just space — but time as well.

Then, May will bring forth Monolith #1 by Sean Lewis (Bear Pirate Viking Queen) and Valerio Giangiordano (Two Moons) will explore the origin of the hulking Hellspawn. What connection does he have to one of the most savage of his kind, Omega Spawn? Readers will follow his journey from the cosmic depths of deep-spawn to his first encounter with Al Simmons in this three-part miniseries.

McFarlane is committed to providing fans with the lowest prices on comics in the industry. All his studio's single-issue comics, including the upcoming New U series — which expands the universe he has built for the past three decades — will retain the usual low introductory price points of either $3.99 or $2.99 — well below the $4.99 that is fast becoming the industry standard. McFarlane’s commitment to accessible pricing removes barriers for fans seeking to try out — and add — New U comics to their buy piles alongside the ever-expanding catalog of Spawn Universe offerings. New U titles will range in genre from horror to drama, crime to science fiction, and even comedy, and provide a story for every type of reader.

The repercussions of Spawn #350 affected every character’s fate, lead to a massive shift in the power dynamics within the universe, and gave birth The New U. Sam & Twitch: Case Files is only the first glimpse at what's to come, with more series announcements and details yet to be revealed.

The rollout will continue in June and July with three more four-issue miniseries all sure to excite fans: Misery, Medieval Spawn and Spawn Kills Every Spawn. In August, Violator with give the popular villain his own oversized, six-issue miniseries and the highly buzzed-about Knights vs. Samurai will follow later that the month. In September an all-new ongoing series titled Deadly Tales will launch. And in October, a bi-monthly series — with extended page count — No Home Here — will launch. Several more titles, including Focus, Spawn: The Dark Ages, She-Spawn, Bloodletter and Spawn 77 will hit shelves and more information will be revealed for each in the coming months.

Didn't McFarlane try to make a go of this series a couple of decades ago? I seem to remember trying (and disliking) it. I guess it was before its time.

Also, it looks like every concept Todd McFarlane has ever seen is being re-branded as Spawn and getting a title in "The New U." I'm waiting for "Spawn, Lord of the Jungle" and "Blackbeard Spawn" to complete the set.

Diamond has a PREVIEW.

UNDER YORK #1

12402851483?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Sylvain Runberg | Art/Cover: Mirka Andolfo | $3.99

Series Premiere. New York's destiny is written in its depths. Alison Walker is a promising young painter in Manhattan. But she has a secret. She's also a witch. She and her family belong to the world of Under York, a mysterious, underground New York where five powerful clans of witches have reigned for centuries. These families with their strict codes of life, drawn from the country's main communities (African, Irish, Chinese, Mexican and Amerindian) practice magic as powerful as it is dangerous. For generations, they have been hunted and persecuted. Today, they secretly influence life on the surface and its inhabitants. Their revenge is to participate in the destiny of a world that banished them. And this is the universe in which Alison Walker grew up. The universe she fled and doesn't want to hear about anymore. Until fate catches up with her ...

"I saw Goody Alison with the devil!" Oh, wrong book.

I'm usually a sucker for these kinds of "this is how the world really works" stories. Probably because the actual world is so out of control that one hopes there's a hidden plan somewhere in there.

DARK HORSE

ART OF DEAD ISLAND 2 HC

12175287297?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Alex Calvin | 192 pages | $49.99

Prepare for a deep dive into a blood-soaked, zombie-infested hellish vision of Los Angeles. Featuring behind-the-scenes insight from writer Alex Calvin (Runescape: The First 20 Years) and more than 100 pages of unadulterated carnage, this journey through the vivid world of Dead Island 2 will undoubtedly provide rich conversation around your coffee table!

This gory volume is dripping with insights into the world of Dead Island 2, featuring never-before-seen concept art on each Slayer, their gear and weapons, the ruined and iconic streets of post-outbreak Los Angeles, and the shambling hordes of dangerous undead that call it home. The book showcases the creators artistic insight into the game that continues to be a multi-million selling franchise.

Praise for Dead Island 2:

“If you’ve ever wanted to put your wolverine claws straight through a zombie’s face or knock someone’s head off with a golf club, Dead Island 2’s got you. ” — IGN

“Aside from giving into a few yelps when an enemy lunges at me the moment I open a locked door, I’m never terrified by Dead Island 2, I’m sadistically amused.” — Kotaku

“It's an artful display of zombie violence and mayhem.” — Comicbook.com

Derived from a video game. So I have no insight to share, just the press release. Dark Horse has a PREVIEW.

GHOSTBUSTERS: BACK IN TOWN #1 (OF 4)

12398699673?profile=RESIZE_180x18012398699853?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Greg Pak, David M. Booher | Art: Blue Delliquanti | Cover: Kyle Lambert | $3.99

A new generation of Ghostbusters is back in NYC!

An all-new ghostbusting adventure arrives March 2024 in the form of a new series from Dark Horse Comics: Ghostbusters: Back in Town! This new four-issue series bridges the gap between Ghostbusters: Afterlife and its upcoming sequel Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire. 

A year and a half after the events of Ghostbusters: Afterlife, the Ghostbusters are officially back in business and headed to where it all began: New York City! Callie, Gary, Trevor and Phoebe are moving into the Firehouse and ready to take on the Spengler family business … or are they? Ghostbusting on top of changing family dynamics has a way of going awry –– and that’s exactly what one paranormal force is counting on.

Featuring writing by David Booher (Canto, Killer Queens), art by Blue Delliquanti (Adversary, Across a Field of Starlight), colors by Mildred Louis (Rick and Morty) and Cris Peter (Critical Role: The Tales of Exandria), and letters by Jimmy Betancourt of Comicraft, Ghostbusters: Back in Town continues the cultural phenomenon. The first issue’s cover will be illustrated by Kyle Lambert, with a variant cover by Steve Morris.

On the new series, Jason Reitman said, "Our friends at Dark Horse have picked up the Spengler family and hand delivered them to Manhattan where they will begin their journey back into Ghostbusting! It has been a personal thrill to collaborate with this incredible group of artists and storytellers on new chapters in the proton jungle.”

I haven't seen a Ghostbusters movies since, I think, the original. And still quote it. But from the reviews, I haven't missed much. The upcoming one has Paul Rudd and Finn Wolfhard, but I probably still won't watch it.

Dark Horse has a PREVIEW.

THE GOON: THEM THAT DONT STAY DEAD #1 (OF 4)

12400291069?profile=RESIZE_180x18012400291266?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Eric Powell | $4.99

This year marks the 25th anniversary of The Goon, and to celebrate, Eric Powell and Dark Horse Comics present an all-new comic miniseries, The Goon: Them That Don’t Stay Dead. Powell (Did You Hear What Eddie Gein Done?) will write and illustrate the new series. Craig Davison, an illustrator known for his work depicting children pretending to be their favorite characters from comics, film and TV, will illustrate a special variant cover for The Goon: Them That Don’t Stay Dead #1.

The return to Lonely Street hasn’t been easy for the Goon and Franky. And just as they’ve finally got the various gangs of bloodsuckers and night stalkers back in line, and they can finally relax with a nice night out bowling, a new threat appears. One that will shake the very foundations of Nameless Town. Also, Spider gets hooked on the junk. Drama!

“It only speaks to the depravity and moral bankruptcy of the average comic reader that I have been able to continue this reprehensible book (off and on) for 25 years. And I love them for it,” said Powell. “My enthusiasm for these characters hasn’t waned and I’m glad it seems the same goes for the loyal readers. And it’s also only fitting that this anniversary series coincides with its return to longtime publisher Dark Horse Comics. COMICS! HIGH FIVE! … (You’re not posting up. Don’t leave me hangin’.)”

"Eric Powell and The Goon are old friends of Dark Horse, and I'm extremely happy to have them back with us,” said Dark Horse founder Mike Richardson. “The Goon is a special, one-of-a-kind character, and it's fitting to see him return in a new miniseries in his 25th year. The horror and humor of Lonely Street are timeless, and I'm looking forward to joining The Goon and Franky on some new adventures."

“There aren’t many characters like the Goon in comics and there aren’t many creators as unique and enjoyable as Eric Powell.” ― IGN

“The Goon is one of my favorite comics, and Powell is on the top of my list of best artist/writers out working today.” ― Steve Niles

“[The Goon] is sweet when it needs to be, warm and touching when it wants to be, and brutal and gruesome when it has to be.” ― Bloody Disgusting

“Mixing the genre expectations of noir with an endearingly amoral lead, The Goon is pure entertainment.” — Publisher’s Weekly

The more I see of The Goon the more I like it. And yet, I've never bought a Goon comic book. I think I'd like to, but now I'm so far behind it seems too pointless (and expensive) to try and catch up.

What I really love is Eric Powell's art. He wears his influences on his sleeve, and yet his art is definitely its own thing. That is to say, I see echoes of Jack Davis, Will Eisner, Norman Rockwell, Frank Frazetta and maybe Berni Wrightson in his work. But he doesn't copy, or do homages. His work stands on its own. And he's really, really good.

STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC ADVENTURES PHASE III — CRASH LANDING (ONE-SHOT)

12400309089?profile=RESIZE_180x180The fight for Light and Life wages on in Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures Phase III—Crash Landing, a one-shot comic presented by Dark Horse and Lucasfilm Publishing. The 30-page story follows Alys "Crash" Ongwa and her ragtag crew, and is written by New York Times bestselling author Daniel José Older (Star Wars: The High Republic), with art by Rachele Aragno (Leonide the Vampyr), colors by Michael Atiyeh (Conan The Avenger) and letters by Comicraft.

Alys "Crash" Ongwa and her crew have been fighting against anyone who had a hand in the Nihil infiltration that plunged her home planet of Corellia into chaos. If they don't continue to fight, everything they sacrificed for could slip away. Now, Crash has a lead on the person behind the entire Nihil plot— but she'll have to rely on some old friends for help. If her crew can accomplish this mission, could true peace be on their horizon?

"Crash and her wild outlaw team of bodyguards are some of my favorite Star Wars characters to write," says Daniel José Older, "and I've had this story about how they deal with the aftermath of war inside me for a long time, trying to get out. I'm so excited to be able to tell it now with this amazing team, and rest assured we haven't heard the last of Crash and her crew."

I've lost track of how many publishers are involved in the multimedia Star Wars: The High Republic project. I'm certainly not buying all the product.

TOMAHAWK ANGEL VOL 2 TP

12143819293?profile=RESIZE_180x180

Story/Art: Odysseas Theodoratos | 256 pages | $14.99

In the year 2050, a ruined world is overrun by monsters and humanity is on the verge of extinction. An 18-year-old amnesiac seeks answers to her past, and uncovers the dark history of this corrupt new world, and her role in it. Is she a savior or does she have more in common with the monsters themselves?

Tomahawk Angel Volume 2 is available in print for the first time, written and drawn by celebrated creator Odysseas Theodoratos (aka Mangaka Ody).

I didn't read Tomahawk Angel Vol. 1, so I don't know if this is any good. But DH seems to feel pretty strongly about it, with another press release. (I love the name, BTW.)

USAGI YOJIMBO SAGA: LEGENDS 2ND EDITION TP

12128647486?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Stan Sakai | 560 pages | $29.99

The iconic rabbit rōnin is back in a new edition of Usagi Yojimbo Saga: Legends from Dark Horse Books. This 2nd Edition volume contains over 500 pages of renowned Usagi Yojimbo creator Stan Sakai’s enduring samurai masterpiece. It features rich stories celebrating Japanese history, culture and mythology along with a new painted cover by Sakai himself and a full-color cover gallery!

The quintessential companion to the Usagi Yojimbo Saga series from Dark Horse, Usagi Yojimbo Saga: Legends collects some of the most exhilarating and engrossing self-contained stories starring the iconic rabbit rōnin. These tales see Miyamoto Usagi face off against a lineup of incredible foes, including dinosaurs, demons and aliens! Even against the odds, Usagi maintains the warrior's code: truth, honor, loyalty and sacrifice. Collects all black and white Space Usagi story arcs, Usagi Yojimbo: Senso and the color Usagi Yojimbo: Yokai — with the color short story “Gagged,” new cover art by Stan Sakai, a color cover gallery and bonus creative process features. This is a beautiful new presentation of one of the most critically acclaimed, longest running and beloved adventure comics.

“Stan Sakai has been delighting people and fans around the world since first creating Usagi Yojimbo and his world in 1984. Once again, Stan brings readers back into Usagi's world, where more adventures await all who pick up a copy of this first issue [Usagi Yojimbo: The Hidden] and dive in.” — PopCultHQ

“The mystery thickens and a new antagonist is revealed, all told with beautiful visuals. You can never go wrong with a book by Stan Sakai. Usagi Yojimbo: The Hidden is something you should find as soon as possible. Highest possible recommendation.”— SciFiPulse

“Usagi Yojimbo has been consistently great for decades, but there hasn't been a standout story for some time now. That all changes, as we jump 20 years into the future, for a story of war, sacrifice, family great honor and aliens?”— Newsarama on Usagi Yojimbo: Senso

Here's another character that got popular while I wasn't paying attention. And now I wouldn't know where to begin.

IDW PUBLISHING

BEST OF MY LITTLE PONY VOL 1: TWILIGHT SPARKLE TP: For the Bronies.

BRYNMORE TP

12402854252?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Steve Niles | Art: Damien Worm | Mature | $17.99

From the creators of The October Faction, Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) & Damien Worm, comes a new horror tale! Recently divorced and sober, Mark Turner has returned to his hometown looking for a second chance. He'll rebuild the old church into a new home... if the locals let him. But Turner Island has a secret, one tracing back to when it was named after Mark's ancestors. Who, or what, is Brynmore?

Steve Niles is hit or miss with me, but when he hits (30 Days of Night) it's a home run. 

FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE COMPLETE LIBRARY VOL 8 HC: Comic-strip collectors alert!

MORE COMICS

ANNA TP (Fantagraphics): This debut GN by German cartoonist Mia Oberlander "is an audacious allegory of female resistance and radical acceptance." It's about women who are too tall (as in giant tall) and gangly for their small town. But naturally it will turn out that this is an advantage of some kind and they will end up being celebrated and accepted. (Sorry, that's just a guess on my part.) Diamond has a PREVIEW.

ASGARDIANS VOL 1: ODIN GN (First Second): This is by George O'Connor, the same guy who wrote the 12 books in the "Olympians" series, one on each of the 12 main Greco-Roman gods. It's for kids, so stick with your Neil Gaiman adaptations. I mention it only because the series is called "Asgardians," which is a word made up by Stan Lee! The Norse gods were called the Aesir.

CEREBUS THE AARDVARK #1 FACSIMILE EDITION (Aardvark-Vanaheim): As it happens, my Cerebus collection begins with #2, so I should be interested in this. However, my collection ends right around issue #200 (because I lost interest), so I'm obviously not a completist when it comes to this title.

CLASSIC ILLUSTRATED: RED BADGE OF COURAGE TP (Classics Illustrated): I read this one! Back in junior high, I think. Amazing those decades-old comics are still being reprinted. Most of 'em weren't very good, even for the times. But I guess even in the modern day kids have to write book reports on books they don't want to read. Bud Plant has a PREVIEW.

COMPLETE COMET JET-ACE LOGAN STORIES (Book Palace-Fleetway): This is a collection of a UK series from some anthology or other. It's probably ethnocentrism on my part, but while comics on both sides of the Atlantic were mostly written for children in the 1950s and '60s, the British ones strike me as more juvenile. As I say, it's probably just a cultural difference. They probably thought our comics were too juvenile.

CONAN BARBARIAN #9

12402833679?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402833684?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402833887?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402834253?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402834272?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402834454?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402834075?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402834654?profile=RESIZE_180x180

THE CURIE SOCIETY: ERIS ETERNAL TP

12386261493?profile=RESIZE_180x18012386262065?profile=RESIZE_180x18012386261890?profile=RESIZE_180x18012386262280?profile=RESIZE_180x18012386262082?profile=RESIZE_180x18012386262098?profile=RESIZE_180x18012386262481?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DISNEY MASTERS VOL 23: SCARPA MICKEY MOUSE BRIGABOOM HC (Fantagraphics): Sometimes I think I should have been collecting these, and they'd constitute the only Disney I'd need for my shelves (aside from Carl Barks). But I didn't, and it's too late to start now. Fantagraphics has a PREVIEW.

DOCTOR WHO: LIBERATION OF DALEKS TP (Panini): Titan clearly has the license to Doctor Who, but here's some Who from Panini. Maybe it varies country to country. The Turnaround Blog has a PREVIEW.

FORGOTTEN RUNES: WIZARD’S CULT #3 (OF 10)

12402834861?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402835061?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402834499?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402835083?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402835268?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402835465?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402835493?profile=RESIZE_180x180

GOLDEN AGE FIGHT COMICS FEATURES TIGER GIRL VOL 1 HC, SOFTEE, SLIPCASE (PS Artbooks): Having read Fight Comics #1-3 in a PS Artbooks collection, I'm all for them cherry-picking the title instead of reprinting it comprehensively. Those early issues were ba-a-a-ad. PS Artbooks has a bunch of other material available this week, including PS ARTBOOKS: SPEED COMICS VOL 1 SOFTEE (yay!), PS ARTBOOKS: GREEN LAMA FACSMILE ED #3, PS ARTBOOKS: GREEN LAMA FACSMILE ED #6, PS ARTBOOKS: GREEN LAMA FACSMILE ED #7, PS ARTBOOKS: ROCKETMAN FACSMILE ED #1 and SILVER AGE CLASSICS: STRANGE SUSPENSE STORIES VOL 8 (HC, SLIPCASE, SOFTEE). But Plant has a Tiger Girl PREVIEW.

HOW WAR BEGINS HC

12402867273?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Igort | Fantagraphics | $29.99

In 2022, Igort, an acclaimed Italian cartoonist of Russian descent, began taking down the testimonies of Ukrainians during the Russian invasion. He turned them into online comics journalism, collected here for the first time in English.

"The collapsing bodies look like marionettes. The clouds of dust captured by drones have a surreal beauty. The crumpling buildings look like houses of cards. Even so, it's upsetting, panic-inducing. How can you not think about the human lives, just like your own, buried under that rubble?"

In this real-time work of graphic journalism (posted serially on Facebook), the cartoonist Igort uses the medium of comics to depict the telephone testimonies of Ukrainians as Russia invaded in 2022. In vignettes that grow ever more horrifying - infiltrating spies, bombed cities, recorded accounts of children whose parents were murdered in front of their eyes, and more — Igort also relays the events that led up to the invasion, such as the torture and killing of human rights activists. He tells stories of individual struggle and suffering with no resolutions because they are still happening: Of Tetiana, who fled in the middle of the night with her children and whose car broke down on the steppe. And Maksim, who lived in Belgium and went for a five-day family visit and who could not return home when his mother died of COVID due to martial law.

In art styles that veer from cartoony simplicity to photorealistic, depending on what the moment demands, Igort paints portraits and scenes of ordinary people trying to survive among almost 10,000 civilian deaths. How War Begins is an important document of the past, the present, and the future.

Igort (Igor Tuveri), b. 1958, is a prolific award-winning Italian cartoonist and the founder of Oblomov Press, a comics publisher. He is best known for his graphic novel 5 is the Perfect Number, which won the Book of the Year award at the Frankfurt Book Fair. He is also a film director and directed the movie adaptation in 2019. His previous works of graphic journalism include Russian Notebooks and Nomadic Pages.

Interesting. Diamond has a PREVIEW.

KABUMPO IN OZ HC (Clover Press): "This is the 16th book of Oz, and the second written by Ruth Plumly Thompson." Necessarily, since L. Frank Baum only wrote 14 Oz books. I'm sure her two are in the Baum spirit, or she wouldn't have been allowed a second one.

LA MUERTA DEVIOUS #1

12402868471?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Mike MacLean, Brian Pulido | Art: Joel Gomez | Cover: Sorah Suhng, Juan Castro | Coffin Comics | Mature | $8.99

In the aftermath of her trip to the Amazon rainforest, Maria Diaz, aka La Muerta, learns that a killer stalks the midnight streets of Mexico City, ruthlessly eliminating its criminal elite. Who is this killer? What motivates her murderous ways? And why does she wear the skull face of the infamous vigilante La Muerta?

I don't know if the comic book is any good, but the iconography is cool. And yes, I noticed the Punisher homage.

Here's the KICKSTARTER.

12402868861?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402868487?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402868896?profile=RESIZE_180x180

LIFE IS STRANGE: FORGET ME NOT #2 (OF 4)

12402860681?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402860853?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402860860?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402860879?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402861080?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402861264?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402861466?profile=RESIZE_180x180

LUMINE VOL 1 GN (Webtoon Unscrolled): Lunine is a werewolf who changes into tiny, cute puppy dog instead of a wolf. This book collects episodes 1-14 of the Lumine webtoon.

THE MADNESS TPB

12401942656?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175307697?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175308062?profile=RESIZE_400x12175308082?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175308268?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175308661?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175308469?profile=RESIZE_180x18012175308480?profile=RESIZE_180x180

MORNING STAR #1 (OF 5)

12402917271?profile=RESIZE_180x18012402917493?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Tim Daniel, David Andry | Art/Cover: Marco Finnegan | Mad Cave Studios | $4.99

1956. Kootenai National Forest, Montana. When smokejumper Nathan Garrett perishes in a raging wildfire, his surviving family's hopes and happiness turn to ashes.

Now, one year following Nathan's death, wife, and mother of two, Jolene Garrett, takes her crumbling family to the Morning Star lookout seeking solace through closure — to scatter her husband's remains. But something far beyond the reach of their wildest imaginings awaits the Garrett family in the Montana wilderness — something more powerful than their anguish and torment. Something that transcends space and time. No telephones. No electricity. No transportation. No escape.

It's a ghost, right? I say it's a ghost. No, two ghosts, a good ghost and a bad ghost. Yeah, two ghosts, and the good ghost saves them from the bad ghost at the last minute. Then, at the end, they all look wistfully at the sky, knowing the dead husband is watching over them. That's my guess, anyway.

Diamond has a PREVIEW.

MUTTS TREASURY: TREATS TP: Comics-strip collectors alert!

NIGHTMARES OF PROVIDENCE #1 BLACK DESTINY VARIANT (Avatar): I'm not going to buy this overpriced variant, but it does serve to remind me that I haven't read Alan Moore's Providence, and I need to do so. I'm sure there's a collection of some kind out there. I don't want to resort to the bag sets, three of which are available this week.

NINJAK SUPERKILLERS HC: Valiant Comics alert!

SUZY SAMSON: GORGON & BASILISK GN

12402922487?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Anthony Summey | Rosarium Publishing | $17.95

Suzy Samson, the world's greatest heroine, is back battling her toughest foe: middle age. Having given up her powers and crime fighting career for married life long ago, Suzy suddenly finds herself forty, divorced, and overweight. Forced to move in with her former nemesis turned best friend, Girliath, Suzy has begun reclaiming her life. With Girliath as her new partner, Suzy renews her war on injustice. Armed with her father's unbreakable jawbone club and impenetrable lion skin, Suzy tries to rediscover who she is and her place in the world. Regaining her strength over time, Suzy continues her struggle to set the wrong things right. No matter if she is fighting paramilitary girl scouts, mystical beasts, or dealing with the emotional fall out of divorce, Suzy Samson is stronger than ever!

This actually sounds kind of fun. It took me a minute to figure out what was going in that cover, though. A wrestling hold on a harpy?

Dribbble.com has a PREVIEW.

VISCERA OBJECTICA GN

12402862463?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Yugo Limbo | Silver Sprocket | Mature | 72 pages | B&W | $14.99

A humble tailor is very skilled at his work, but finds the complex patchwork of love painful to stitch together. One day, he visits a farmers market and is drawn to a beautiful puppet, whose vendor utters only: "His name is Theu." Though the puppet is inanimate, the tailor inexplicably falls for Theu, day by day finding that patchwork of love no longer painful. Viscera Objectica explores the depth of feeling that develops between man and object, lover and loved.

This does not seem like a healthy relationship that will end well.

Silver Sprocket has a PREVIEW.

WASHED IN THE BLOOD #1 (OF 3)

12402863072?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Kevin Roditeli | Art: Kostas Pantoulas | Art/Cover: Rob Cannon | Massive | Mature | $9.99

What if you were called upon by the WORST god of all time? In a frozen post-apocalyptic wasteland, a young cult survivor hears the voice of the self-proclaimed god of guns. Like any human would be, he is hypnotized by the prospect of power by listening to this divine freak. A path to salvation paved with love, turmoil, and mostly death.

Explore the world of Kevin Roditeli in Massive's take on Black Mirror with a post-apocalyptic twist!

A tale inspired by Mad Max, Hellraiser, Fallout and the filmography of David Cronenberg.

"Washed In The Blood takes you on a trippy thrill ride through visceral illustrations and an intensely cold, savage, post-apocalyptic tale." — Jason Bennett, Popculthq.com

"The best storytelling (both textually and artistically) that I HAVE EVER SEEN." — Comicbookposer.com

"If you give yourself to Roditeli's narrative, it will take you somewhere, and you'll arrive at the end smarter than whence you started." — Blake Morgan, Blakebuzz.com

This seems like another unhealthy relationship, and one not likely to end well for the protagonist. Seriously, when does dealing with gods ever turn out well? Just ask Actaeon, Arachne, Niobe, Pentheus, Orpheus ... Oh wait, you can't, because most of 'em are dead or turned into spiders or something. (And that cover isn't exactly reassuring.)

Diamond has a PREVIEW.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• FOR BETTER OR FOR WORSE COMPLETE LIBRARY VOL 8 HC: Comic-strip collectors alert!

Just received my copy, the penultimate volume. Not unlike Funky Winkerbean, FBoFW was a masterful combination of funny and serious. (I already preordered the final volume.)

This is to replace my full set of TPBs, which were ridculously mismatched as to size and trade dress.

• I got mine today, too! BY1qk4m.gif

And speaking of "ridculously mismatched" full sets of tpbs I have one word: Doonesbury.

This reply was deleted.