Comics Guide for week of Sept. 18, 2023

Note: Go HERE for the full list.

TOP 5 PUBLISHERS

MARVEL COMICS

The origin of Grootfall is revealed in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #6.

Maestro stories are always a little depressing, considering how many of our favorite characters are D-E-A-D dead in them. But MAESTRO BY PETER DAVID OMNIBUS HC brings all the Maestro miniseries and guest appearances together under one cover this week, which is mighty convenient. I just won’t read them all at once. Collects Hulk: Future Imperfect #1-2, Incredible Hulk (1968) #460-461, Captain Marvel (1999) #27-30, Spider-Man 2099 (2014) #9-10, Future Imperfect #1-5, Maestro #1-5, Maestro: War and Pax #1-5, Maestro: World War M #1-5, Exiles (2001) #79-80, Abominations #1-3, and material from Hulk: Broken Worlds #1 and Secret Wars: Battleworld #4.

The first appearance of the Spaceknight of the Space is reprinted in ROM #1 FACSIMILE EDITION.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #1

11459413461?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: J. Michael Straczynski | Art/Cover: Jesús Saiz | Colors By Matt Hollingsworth  | Variants: Frank Miller, George Pérez, John Romita Jr., Michael Cho, Humberto Ramos, Gary Frank, Dike Ruan, Olivier Coipel, Kaare Andrews | 40 pages | Teen+ | $5.99

WHAT FUTURE AWAITS THE MAN OUT OF TIME?

Acclaimed writer and filmmaker J. Michael Stracyznski will make his celebrated return to Marvel Comics this September in CAPTAIN AMERICA #1!  Stracyznski has written fan-favorite stories including AMAZING SPIDER-MAN and THOR, and now he’s ready to embark on a new adventure with Marvel’s star-spangled hero! Alongside superstar artist Jesús Saiz (PUNISHER, DOCTOR STRANGE), the talented duo is ready to take Steve Rogers on an exhilarating new adventure.

Even before he became Marvel’s star-spangled hero, Steve Rogers was a fighter. Embark on a fascinating journey to never-before-seen days of Steve’s youth where a powerful evil seeks to end Cap’s legacy before it begins. And back in the present, Captain America is giving back to the community in ways only he can by tackling crime on the local level. All that changes when this existential threat from the past begins making moves towards Steve in the here and now, starting with recruiting some of his most deadliest former foes. In addition to deepening of the Captain America’s comic book mythos, Straczynski and Saiz will also delve into a largely unexplored chapter of Steve’s life in the late 1930s, as the fascism swallowing Europe threatened to take root in New York City.

Speaking with io9, Straczynski says, “Overall, the goal is to do some really challenging stories, some really fun stories, and get inside Steve’s head to see who he really is in ways that may not have been fully explored before. If folks like what I did with Peter in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, and Thor in, well … THOR, then they should give this a shot, because I’m really swinging for the bleachers in this one!”

• Cap has  always been one of my favorite characters, even though his comics haven't always been very good. Fingers crossed that JMS can do something interesting. After "Sins Past," my hopes aren't high.
  • More covers.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

PREDATOR VS. WOLVERINE #1 (OF 4)

12202116475?profile=RESIZE_400x12202116700?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Benjamin Percy | Art: Greg Land, Andrea di Vito,  more | Cover: Marco Checcetto | Variants: Skottie Young, Mike McKone, Peach Momoko, Inhyuk Lee, Steve McNiven, John Romita Jr., Alex Maleev, Stephen Segovia | 48 pages | Parental Advisory | $7.99

It’s the bloodthirsty saga fans have been waiting for! This September, the Predator will be unleashed on the Marvel Universe for the very first time as he viciously hunts Wolverine across decades of Marvel Comic history in PREDATOR VS WOLVERINE! The four-issue limited series will be written by Benjamin Percy, the acclaimed writer known for taking Wolverine’s ferocious spirit to its limits in the character’s current ongoing solo series. Percy will be joined by a host of all-star artistic talent including Greg Land, Andrea Di Vito, Ken Lashley, Kei Zama, and many more. The series will reveal a bitter rivalry between Wolverine and a Yautja who’s been stalking him since his earliest days. … Witness these never-before-told encounters as Percy brings the bloodiest hunters in all pop culture to their knees!

THE THRILL IS THE KILL!

Wolverine has lived one of the longest and most storied lives in comics history. Now witness the untold greatest battles of Logan’s life — against a Predator! One Yautja seeks the greatest prey in existence — and finds it in Weapon X. From the blood-ridden snows of the Canadian wilderness to the sword-slinging streets of Madripoor, Wolverine and a Predator break everything in their paths on their way to the ultimate victory …or glorious death.

On why he’s the perfect writer to craft this groundbreaking story, Percy said, “I'm not going to say I was born to write this crossover ... but sometimes the universe reveals why you were created. I am a child of the '80s. I cannot tell you how many times I watched Predator, just as I cannot tell you how many Wolverine comics I have read, because that would be like telling you how many breaths I've taken or cheeseburgers I've eaten. The mythologies of both are ingrained in me so deeply they might as well be strands of DNA or wisps of soul. The guns, claws, beef, and blood of both franchises have been stewing in my brain since 1987, when I read myself to sleep every night with a stack of Marvel comics and my friends and I used to play ‘Predator’ with Nerf guns in the woods and river near our neighborhood.”

“This epic hunt will span decades, as both of these giants learn and harden and grow deadlier with time,” Percy continued. “Neither will have time to bleed, but you better make time to read, because I'm putting everything I've got into this event, and I'm thrilled to join forces with some of the best artists in the business.”

Has the galaxy’s greatest hunter met its match? 

• This seems like an excellent idea! And Predator has already met a bunch of DC superheroes, so now it's Marvel turn.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

12202117067?profile=RESIZE_180x18012202116894?profile=RESIZE_180x18012202117472?profile=RESIZE_180x18012202117279?profile=RESIZE_180x18012202117884?profile=RESIZE_180x18012202118457?profile=RESIZE_180x18012202118654?profile=RESIZE_180x18012198963497?profile=RESIZE_400x

12199421459?profile=RESIZE_400x 12199422480?profile=RESIZE_400x

"Fall of X"

UNCANNY SPIDER-MAN #1 (OF 5)

12132282852?profile=RESIZE_400x

Story: Si Spurrier | Art: Lee Garbett | Cover: Tony Daniel | Variants: Skottie Young, Lee Garbett, Dave Wachter | Teen+ | $4.99

THE NIGHTCRAWLING WALL-CRAWLER!

On the darkest of days, he is the spark in the shadows! After the devastating events of the Hellfire Gala, Kurt Wagner is on the run — and having the time of his life?! Swashbuckling about NYC in disguise, the Uncanny Wallcrawler sets aside his mutant angst and dedicates himself to the hero’s life: saving civilians, hanging with fellow wallcrawlers, battling baddies, and hunting down the best pizza on the planet. But he can’t ignore the mutant plight forever … Si Spurrier and Lee Garbett launch a joyful, sexy series that will shake Nightcrawler to his foundations — and have a hell of a good time doing it!

Since 2019’s revolutionary HOUSE OF X and POWERS OF X series, mutantkind has experienced unparalleled growth and prosperity on the island nation Krakoa — but can it really last forever? Following July’s X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA #1, mutantkind will enter a thrilling new era of uncertainty, danger, and mystery known as FALL OF X! As some of your favorite X-Men are crushed under the weight of this new age, one among them will “BAMF” his way into bright Super Hero stardom! Introducing Kurt Wagner, the UNCANNY SPIDER-MAN!

UNCANNY SPIDER-MAN will be a five-issue limited series written by mutant mastermind Si Spurrier, continuing his thought-provoking work in the Krakoan era after Legion of X and Nightcrawlers, and drawn by Lee Garbett, known for his breathtaking art on Death of Doctor Strange. The heart of the X-Men, Kurt has always shined as one of the most heroic and daring mutants in the franchise. Now, as the darkness of FALL OF X overwhelms his fellow mutants, Nightcrawler will embrace a new role as a classic New York City-bamfing hero!

Escaping the turmoil of FALL OF X in a flash of smoke and brimstone, it’s time for Nightcrawler to play the swashbuckling, devil-may-care hero he was always destined to be! Meeting a potential new lover, battling some of the most iconic members of Spidey’s rogues gallery, and saving civilians, mutant and human alike — Kurt is having the time of his life! But it’s not all fun and games. … Nightcrawler will also be a lone soldier on the frontlines of mutantkind’s upcoming war with ORCHIS. Throughout the saga, he’ll also confront a long-simmering mystery surrounding his mother, Mystique, as Spurrier’s bold transformation of the character approaches a startling climax!

“What we've got here is a spectacular new beginning — which, yes, is code for ‘perfect jumping-on point’ — which leans hard into heroic, joyful, street-level action,” Spurrier explained. “Writing Kurt has always been an exercise in heart. He was the first to feel the cracks in Krakoa ... and the first to try and do something about it. Unfailingly loyal to his people, his friends and his responsibilities, he's gone through a lot. What's been missing for him is the joy. The freedom. The thrill. And that's where we find him now. In a restyled Spidey Suit, BAMFing across New York and rubbing shoulders (and butting heads) with the best heroes and villains of the Manhattan milieu ... but of course it's not quite that simple. Is Nightcrawler really doing this for the thrill? Or is he hiding? Is it easier to put on a mask and punch some villains in the nose than it is to stare trauma in the eye ...?

“For me this series is a dream come true. A chance to write what my various briefs have never before allowed: pure, joyful, bold, fun superheroic action. And thanks to Lee, it looks astonishing.”

• This isn't going to do Spider-Man's reputation any good. But then, it's pretty bad already.
  • Nightcrawler is much more suited to this sort of thing than he is gigantic threats to the universe. 
  • Here's a PREVIEW.
  • "Fall of X" continues this week in ALPHA FLIGHT #2 (OF 5), DARK X-MEN #2 (OF 5) and UNCANNY AVENGERS #2 (OF 5).

12223217259?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223217296?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223218077?profile=RESIZE_180x180

WOLVERINE #37

12132285269?profile=RESIZE_400x

12223223101?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Benjamin Percy | Art: Juan José Ryp | Cover: Leinil Francis Yu | Variants: Joshua "Sway" Swaby, Kael Ngu | 40 pages | Parental Advisory | $4.99

HULK AND WOLVERINE — TOGETHER AGAIN in LAST MUTANT STANDING Part 1!

LOGAN’s grand tour of the Marvel Universe begins here in the only way it could — face-to-face once more with the INCREDIBLE HULK! But will they meet as friends or enemies? And WOLVERINE hunts down his remaining THREE CLONES from BEAST’s WEAPONS OF X, for in the end, there can be only one Logan!

Logan’s grand tour of the Marvel Universe begins here in the only way it could – face-to-face once more with the INCREDIBLE HULK! But will they meet as friends or enemies? And Wolverine hunts down his remaining three clones from Beast’s Weapons of X, for in the end, there can be only one Logan! 

The perfect jumping on point as Wolverine’s new status quo in the FALL OF X kicks into high gear!

• Once again Wolverine seems to be off doing his own thing, despite "Fall of X" being mentioned in the blurb. I guess it's tangentially related, what with the clones and all, but is he even appearing in the other X-books? You'd think he'd be helping out.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

"Contest of Chaos"

X-MEN ANNUAL #1 (ONE-SHOT)

11130071258?profile=RESIZE_400x12223225473?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Paul Allor & Stephanie Phillips | Art: Alessandro Miracolo & Alberto Foche | Cover: Joshua Cassara | Variant: Larry Houston | Teen+ | $4.99

CAPTAIN MARVEL VS. CYCLOPS!

The leader of the X-Men and the leader of the Avengers size each other up in this epic brawl from writer Paul Allor and Alessandro Miracolo! Drawn to the Alaskan wilderness by magic neither of them understand, Captain Marvel and Cyclops duke it out! Agatha Harkness’ plan for the Darkhold is slowly taking shape … but will it come at the expense of two of the world’s greatest heroes?! And what can an energy-blasting mutant do against a woman who can absorb the energy of the sun?!

• This is the penultimate issue of this crossover. Once again, it doesn't look like a fair fight.
  • It would be, if Cyclops was an Omega mutant. But he's not. Jean Grey is. Storm is. Even Iceman is. But Mr. X-Man is relegated to the second tier. 
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

"Strange Academy"

STRANGE ACADEMY: MOON KNIGHT #1

12132280698?profile=RESIZE_400x12223216452?profile=RESIZE_180x180Written By Carlos Hernandez | Art By Ze Carlos | Cover By Nick Bradshaw | Variant: Humberto Ramos | Teen | $4.99

The Multiversal Math Bowl at Brooklyn Visions had some pretty devastating consequences that have brought the Strange Academy kids to Manhattan. Now they’ve entered the orbit of MOON KNIGHT! Is the new villain called THE EQUATION more than even Moon Knight and his Midnight Mission can handle? One chapter of a thrilling three-part saga!

• I don't see any trade dress indicating that this is part two of a three-parter, but be warned: This odd crossover began last month in STRANGE ACADEMY: MILES MORALES and ends next month in STRANGE ACADEMY: AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. 
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

STAR WARS: DARK DROIDS — D-SQUAD #1 (OF 4)

12223215661?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Marc Guggenheim | Art: Salva Espín & David Messina | Cover: Aaron Kuder | Variants: Josemaria Casanovas, John Tyler Christopher, Tom Reilly, Mike McKone | Teen | $3.99

THE UNSUNG HEROES OF THE CLONE WARS RETURN!

A terrible scourge is corrupting the galaxy’s droids! To fight this menace, ARTOO-DETOO has to assemble a team of droid heroes: THE D-SQUAD! Filled with guest stars from across the galaxy, including a special appearance (and showdown!) by CHOPPER from STAR WARS REBELS.

PLUS: THE BOOK OF AJAX provides the missing pieces linking REVELATIONS, DARK DROIDS and HAN SOLO & CHEWBACCA — read to see how IT’S ALL CONNECTED.

• So theses are, like, the good-guy droids? I recognize most of 'em, but outside of R2D2, Chopper and IG-88, I couldn't name 'em. (And I justl earned Chopper from Ahsoka.) 
  • This four-issue mini shows us that "Dark Droids" continues for at least three more months.
  • "Dark Droids" continues this week in STAR WARS: BOUNTY HUNTERS #38.

12223215676?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223215686?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223215867?profile=RESIZE_180x180

"Summer of Symbiotes"

DEATH OF THE VENOMVERSE #4 (OF 5)

11117281076?profile=RESIZE_400x12223213890?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Cullen Bunn, David Michelinie & Taigami | Art: Gerardo Sandoval, Justin Mason & Taigami | Covers: Björn Barends, Gabriele Dell’otto | Variants: Mark Bagley, Tyler Kirkham, Ryan Stegman, Ken Niimura, Sean Galloway 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

CARNAGE UNLEASHED!

CARNAGE continues his savage rampage throughout the Multiverse, obliterating as many VENOMS as he can! Do AGENT VENOM and what’s left of her team even stand a chance? Or is Carnage destined to win? 

• I'm going to officially declare "Summer of Symbiotes" over when the last issue of the miniseries ships. Maybe by Halloween?
  • Here's a PREVIEW.
  • "Summer of Symbiotes" continues this week in CULT OF CARNAGE: MISERY #5 (OF 5).

12223214270?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223214279?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223214462?profile=RESIZE_180x180

WHAT IF...? DARK: CARNAGE #1 (ONE-SHOT)

12223219499?profile=RESIZE_400x12223219656?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Larry Hama | Art: John McCrea | Cover: Philip Tan | Variants: Nick Bradshaw, Greg Land | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

WHAT IF … CORTLAND KASADY BECAME CARNAGE? 

CLETUS KASADY, the mad man who bonded to CARNAGE, wasn’t the only family member to have a connection with symbiotes. CORTLAND KASADY, his long-dead ancestor, rests beneath the RAVENCROFT INSTITUTE FOR THE CRIMINALLY INSANE! What would happen if the symbiote reanimated the corpse of Cortland Kasady? Is the world big enough for TWO KASADY CARNAGES?!

• What, Carnage can somehow get darker?
  • The only way I'd see this book is in a What If collection, and even then I might skip over it.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

DC COMICS

The first appearance of The Penguin is reprinted in the DETECTIVE COMICS #58 FACSIMILE EDITION.

GREEN LANTERN: WAR JOURNAL #1

12225135087?profile=RESIZE_400xWritten By Phillip Kennedy Johnson | Art By Montos | Cover By Taj Tenfold | Variant Covers By John Giang And Dave Wilkins, Mirko Colak, Ken Lashley, Taj Tenfold, Pablo Villalobos | 32 pages | $3.99/$4.99 (card stock)

JOHN STEWART RETURNS IN AN EPIC NEW SERIES FROM THE PAGES OF GREEN LANTERN!

John Stewart’s time as a Green Lantern has come to an end…or so he thinks. A family tragedy calls him back home, and as John begins to reclaim the career he once left behind, he tries to embrace a peaceful post-superhero life. But when a terrifying and contagious force with a mysterious connection to Oa appears on Earth, the last Green Lantern of another Universe comes seeking the only warrior to face this threat and win: the immortal “Guardian and Builder,” John Stewart himself! Can this brilliant but brash young Lantern help John discover the qualities that made him one of the greatest Lanterns of the entire Multiverse? Featuring the first appearance of an iconic and terrifying new villain!

• I honestly think that John Stewart has established himself as the main Green Lantern for so many generations that this ol' SIlver Age warhorse is entirely OK with retiring Hal Jordan. (Or using him in an Alan Scott capacity.) I hated Dan DiDio's ham-handed, throw-the-baby-out-with-the-bathwater, generational-shift Gen 5 plan, but the idea of organic baton-passing for individual heroes seems perfectly natural. Especially with characters like Flash and GL, who weren't the first of their name anyway. (I don't know that you can ever replace Clark Kent, Bruce Wayne and Diana Prince. Can you imagine Kingdom Come without them?) 
  • Anyway, be warned: This series actually started with three bakup stories in Green Lantern (2023) #1-3.

12225135655?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225135861?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225135293?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225135892?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225136252?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225136071?profile=RESIZE_400x

WONDER WOMAN #1

12225139868?profile=RESIZE_400xWritten By Tom King | Art And Cover By Daniel Sampere | Variant Covers By Stanley “Artgerm” Lau And Julian Totino Tedesco, Matteo Scalera, Mikel Janin, Daniel Sampere, Chris Bachalo ($7.99), Rose Besch | 40 pages | $4.99/$5.99 (card stock)

THE AMAZON WARRIOR IS NOW A WANTED OUTLAW! A NEW ERA FOR THE AMAZON WARRIOR BEGINS, FROM THE SUPERSTAR TEAM OF TOM KING AND DANIEL SAMPERE!

After a mysterious Amazonian is accused of mass murder, Congress passes the Amazon Safety Act, barring all Amazons from U.S. soil. To carry out their plans, the government starts a task force, the Amazon Extradition Entity (A.X.E.), to remove those who don’t comply, by any means necessary. Now, in her search for the truth behind the killing, Wonder Woman finds herself an outlaw in the world she once swore to protect!

Writer Tom King (Batman, Mister Miracle, Supergirl: Woman of Tomorrow) and superstar artist in the making Daniel Sampere (Dark Crisis, Action Comics) join forces for this action-packed relaunch and the beginning of what will undoubtedly become a groundbreaking run on the character.

• Is it me, or does Diana's head seem too small for her body on that cover? It's so out of proportion it gives me the creeps.

12225139482?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225140078?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225140260?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225140654?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225140672?profile=RESIZE_180x180

"Gotham War"

CATWOMAN #57

12225142058?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Tini Howard | Art: Nico Leon | Cover By David Nakayama | Varians: Tirso Cons, Joshua “Sway” Swaby, Rian Gonzales | $3.99/$4.99 (card stock)

BATMAN/CATWOMAN: THE GOTHAM WAR PART 3!

While Batman finds himself more and more isolated, Selina is never alone. With a volunteer army and two powerful generals by her side, the ballet between her and Bruce enters its next act with a shocking twist.

• Granted, I'm not following this story. So I may be off-base on my criticisms of it. But what I'd like to see, instead of Batman and Catwoman immediately going to "War" over a difference of opinion, is for them to have a convo where they compromise, combine their techniques, appreciate each other's efforts, go to "War" together ... and then fail. Maybe they get to appear to win for a while, and they take a vacation (while insidious seeds grow back in Gotham. That would be fun. And the seeds would grow, and then they'd lose due to something so big and relentless that there's no shame on either character — overarching socioeconomic forces, or overpopulation combined a criminal alliance, or the Court of Owls orchestrating a return to profiable murder and mayhem. But that ending leaves Bat and Cat still a couple, still appreciative of each other's efforts, and determined more than ever to save their home town despite hopeless odds. That's the story I want to read.

12225142290?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225142464?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225142655?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225142490?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225143057?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12185094292?profile=RESIZE_400x12185095058?profile=RESIZE_180x180

IMAGE COMICS

GHOST COMPENDIUM

10961484664?profile=RESIZE_710xToday Skybound announced the upcoming release of the Ghosted Compendium, collecting all 20 issues of Skybound’s horror/crime mash-up from creator/writer Joshua Williamson (Dark Ride, Birthright) and artists Goran Sudzuka (Y: The Last Man), Davide Gianfelice (Dylan Dog), and more in a single graphic novel collection. This compendium will be available everywhere books are sold September 2023. 

“Wow, it’s been 10 years. Ghosted is very special to me as not only was it two of my favorite genres — crime and horror — smashed together into something new, it was also the start of me figuring out who I wanted to be as a writer,” said Joshua Williamson. “It was the first time I felt like I was putting myself on the page. It was life changing. And working with the tremendous artists and Skybound inspires me to this day.”

Jackson Winters is one of the greatest criminal masterminds to ever live ... except he’s rotting in jail after his last doomed score. But when a filthy-rich collector breaks Winters out, he’s tasked to put together an elite team of paranormal experts to do the impossible: steal a ghost from a haunted house of horrors! 

"Josh’s work has informed what a Skybound comic should be, from his historic run on Birthright to the sensational Dark Ride, but Ghosted came first,” said Sean Mackiewicz, SVP & Publisher, Skybound Entertainment. “After 10 years, we wanted to reintroduce fans to the work of Josh, Goran, Davide and the rest of the team who created a page-turning horror heist comic that’s impossible to put down.” 

• Never read this. Recommendations, Legionnaires?

HEXAGON BRIDGE #1 (OF 5)

12143899278?profile=RESIZE_400xDebut creator, rising star and 2019 Creators for Creators grant finalist Richard Blake weaves an intricately told science-fiction tale in the upcoming Hexagon Bridge. This five-issue miniseries will hit shelves this September from Image Comics and promises to charm fans of stories like Jonathan Hickman and Mike Huddleston’s Decorum and Darcy Van Poelgeest & Ian Bertram’s Little Bird.

“One of the great things about Image is that we’re often able to showcase stunning new work by exceptional new talent, and Richard Blake is a prime example of that,” said Eric Stephenson, Chief Creative Officer and Publisher at Image Comics. “Jonathan Hickman actually brought Richard to my attention a few years back, and it’s watching Richard develop this series has been a genuine thrill. I’m excited for everyone to experience this work for the first time — finally sharing this stunning new work with comics fans is one of the highlight of 2023 for me!"

In Hexagon Bridge, explorers Jacob and Elena Armlen find themselves trapped in a strange parallel dimension of elusive landscapes and shifting architecture inhabited by mischievous entities. Now it’s up to their clairvoyant daughter Adley and sentient robot Staden to rescue them!

"Creating this book was a journey that took me, and ultimately the characters, to some very strange worlds and unpredictable places," said Blake. "I am very excited readers can finally share in the journey, and perhaps make some discoveries of their own."

12143899498?profile=RESIZE_710x12143900056?profile=RESIZE_710x12143900257?profile=RESIZE_710x12143899874?profile=RESIZE_710x12143899890?profile=RESIZE_710x12143900091?profile=RESIZE_180x180

JUNIOR BAKER THE RIGHTEOUS FAKER #1 (OF 5)

12143909469?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Joe Casey | Art/Cover: Ryan Quackenbush | Variants: Harris & Ryan Quackenbush, Dustin Nguyen | $4.99

MINISERIES PREMIERE

THE SURPRISE SEQUEL TO 2011's BUTCHER BAKER THE RIGHTEOUS MAKER!

Fan-favorite creator/writer behind the Butcher Baker the Righteous Maker series — Joe Casey — teams up with the dynamic newcomer artist Ryan Quackenbush for a highly anticipated sequel series titled Junior Baker the Righteous Faker, first announced in The Hollywood Reporter. This dark, five-issue miniseries will take readers on a journey into a surreal family legacy beginning this September from Image Comics.

Each issue of Junior Baker the Righteous Faker will contain a mind-bending 30 pages of story and is a must-read for fans of the original 2011 hit series.

In Junior Baker the Righteous Faker, readers will meet Daniel "Dizzy" Baker, a gonzo journalist chasing superhuman news items in a world that's left superheroes behind. Stumbling onto the ultimate story, Baker embarks on a personal vision quest where his past and his future will inevitably and violently collide.

“Lately, I've been asking myself a lot of questions about my own relationship with the superhero genre, something I’ve been associated with professionally for over 25 years,” said Casey. “Did it still speak to me? Did it still hold the same kind of relevance as it did when I was just a fan? How many other readers of my generation were feeling this ambivalence to something that meant so much to us since we were kids? Doing this kind of sequel series confronts some those questions. So both conceptually and narratively, it’s a really big swing we’re taking here. Not to mention, Ryan is a brave, new talent and his art on this alone is worth the price of admission."

Quackenbush added: "I’m very excited for people to read this. Creatively, Joe and I have been on the same page since the very start, although I never knew what I was going to draw as each script came to me. As I found myself in the middle of drawing this book, going down Joe’s crazy paths with him, meeting these unpredictable characters, I could relate to Dizzy. Always looking for answers and trying to make the best of things. Messing things up in the process. No matter how weird it got, or where we took it, there were very human emotions at the heart of it and I hope everyone feels that in the midst of all the bizarre."

• In my experience, whenever a writer starts examining his own feelings about his work, it gets really boring for the reader. Who knows, maybe Joe Casey will be the first to make an audience as interested in a writer's navel-gazing as the writer is.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

12143911269?profile=RESIZE_710x12143911278?profile=RESIZE_710x12143911085?profile=RESIZE_710x12143911097?profile=RESIZE_180x180

KIRBY STARR WARRIORS ADV ADAM STAR & SOLAR LEGION (ONE-SHOT)

12223230894?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Jack Kirby | Art/Cover: Tom Scioli | $9.99

It's JACK KIRBY like you've never seen him before! JACK KIRBY's first cosmic hero, the pirate hunter Adam Starr, is back in this deluxe remix of KIRBY's first Space Epic series.

See Adam Starr and his Solar Legion of Star Warriors in a battle to the death with killer space pirates Black Michael, Arthak, and their evil armadas. It's a rip-roaring space adventure with giant man-eating space worms, gargantuan alien killer fish, and planetary nuclear annihilation.

• Evidently, Kirby drew a five-page story for Crash Comics Adventures #1 in 1940, and Tom Sciioli has "remixed" it to make a much longer story.
  • Not terribly comfortable with this at first blush. Let's hope the Kirby estate is making the lion's share of the money.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

SEA SERPENT’S HEIR BOOK TWO: BLACK WAVE GN

10847053252?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Mairghread Scott | Art: Pablo Tunica | Young Adult (Ages 12+), Middle Grade (Ages 8-12) | $14.99

Sea Serpent’s Heir Book Two: Black Wave is the second installment of the extraordinary graphic novel trilogy about growing up and changing your fate from acclaimed creators Mairghread Scott (Dragon Age: Absolution, Guardians of the Galaxy) and Pablo Tunica (TMNT Universe).

"Volume 2 takes us to darker depths as Aella grapples with loss and devastation,” said Mairghread Scott. “But is the little girl from Kinamen Isle really ready to become a pirate queen?” 

Aella sets sail with her mother’s pirate crew on a quest for revenge. As more secrets about her origin are revealed, Aella begins to embrace her dangerous and powerful dark side, leading her down a path from which there may be no return....

“2022 saw the introduction of Aella, the girl destined to destroy the world ... and in 2023, we’ll see what happens when that girl has nothing left to lose,” said Alex Antone, Editorial Director at Skybound. “Mairghread Scott and Pablo Tunica are firing on all cylinders with the second volume of their high-seas, high-fantasy trilogy — we can’t wait for what comes next!”

For teenage Aella, growing up is hard. It’s even harder when you find out that you’re the reincarnation of an ancient sea serpent named Xir that’s destined to destroy the world! Aella always dreamed of a life filled with excitement and adventure, but soon gets more than she bargained for as a fanatical religious organization of zealots, trained warriors and pirates comes to her island looking to destroy the world-ending serpent. Fortunately, you don’t earn the title of Sea Serpent’s Heir without becoming more than a little dangerous yourself…

“Prophesy turns deadly as Aella and Bashir choose their sides,” said Mairghread Scott. “We’ve pulled out all the stops in this fantastical brawl of a sequel.”

Praise for Book One:

“Action and intrigue and secrets and battles and magic and more. Adventure rings high on every single page with a delicious richness, which promises excitement after excitement.” — BOOKWORM FOR KIDS   

“Enchanting and dreamy. This book feels like a mash up between Hayao Miyazaki and Guillermo del Toro with its heart, mystery, and adventure.” — TILLIE WALDEN (Spinning, On a Sunbeam, Clementine)

“This comic will charm you, mesmerize you, thrill you, break your heart, and then leave you eager for the next volume.” — Gatecrashers

“Self-assured world building and magic collide to make ‘Sea Serpent’s Heir Book One’ a memorable start to Mairghread Scott and Pablo Tunica’s new series.” — Comicon

• I don't know how many previews Skybound sent me, but it's a lot. I've ganged them here.

12198981086?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12143884498?profile=RESIZE_710x12143884866?profile=RESIZE_710x12143885066?profile=RESIZE_710x12143884884?profile=RESIZE_710x12143885452?profile=RESIZE_710x12143885461?profile=RESIZE_710x12143885263?profile=RESIZE_710x11029866486?profile=RESIZE_710x11029866494?profile=RESIZE_710x11029866885?profile=RESIZE_710x11029866899?profile=RESIZE_710x11029867458?profile=RESIZE_710x11029867279?profile=RESIZE_710x11029867664?profile=RESIZE_710x11029867860?profile=RESIZE_710x11029867869?profile=RESIZE_710x11029867884?profile=RESIZE_710x11029867897?profile=RESIZE_710x11029868085?profile=RESIZE_710x10994065090?profile=RESIZE_710x10994065465?profile=RESIZE_710x10994065484?profile=RESIZE_710x10994065855?profile=RESIZE_710x10994065297?profile=RESIZE_710x10994066076?profile=RESIZE_710x10994066287?profile=RESIZE_710x10994066501?profile=RESIZE_710x10994066901?profile=RESIZE_710x10994067265?profile=RESIZE_710x10994067300?profile=RESIZE_710x10994067667?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DARK HORSE COMICS

WORLDS OF BORDERLANDS HC is an encyclopedia for the video game.

BLOOD FORCE TRAUMA #1

10906951279?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Jake Smith & Hiram Corbett | Art: Jake Smith | $25.99

It’s America’s pastime of the future! Brutal hand-to-hand combat. Two fighters enter, one walks out. The other? Gets scraped off the arena floor! Full of laser skull guys, kung fu masters and mutant shark dudes from another dimension! It’s somewhere a normal kid like Zap Daniels just doesn’t belong. Too bad he’s the new world champ!

Advanced Praise for Blood Force Trauma: 

“If you like the name Blood Force Trauma, you are going to LOVE this comic! It’s laugh-out-loud funny and eyes-pop-out violent!” —Chris Burnham (Batman Inc., Nameless, Die!Die!Die!

“It’s FUN. It’s BADASS. It’s friggin 'NUTS. Give BLOOD FORCE TRAUMA your eyeballs right now.” — Daniel Warren Johnson (Murder Faclon, Wonder Woman: Dead Earth

Praise for Into Radness: 

“There’s a lot to love about Into Radness. It’s a fun read from start to finish, and I get that part of the appeal is nostalgia: VHS tapes, battle vests, ’80s aesthetic and a group of underdog kids just trying to Make It. But aside from that, it’s extremely well written and moves along at a swift pace. The dialogue feels natural, and I appreciate how the lettering establishes necessary context without burdening the overall narrative.” — Geek’dOut

• DH sent me this press release, and I'm passing it on.

EMANON VOLUME 4: EMANON — WANDERER PART THREE TP

12189738679?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Shinji Kajio, Kenji Tsuruta | Art: Kenji Tsuruta | Translator: Dana Lewis | B&W | 168 pages | Age: 16+ | $14.99

Emanon is strange even for an immortal — a person with a mind over three billion years old, her consciousness endlessly migrating from new body to new body over the entire history of life's evolution on Earth.

Emanon Volume 4 tells the story of her existence in that odd decade called the 1980s, as Emanon's latest incarnation grows from a grade schooler who seeks to conceal her intelligence, to a teen trying to avoid a relationship with the superhuman classmate pursuing her, to a young adult facing the death from old age of her best friend Hikari--a mortal time-jumper whose own life has crossed that of Emanon many times in the past, and will do so again many times in the future ... but who dies at last in the here and now.

• Ibid.

IYANU: CHILD OF WONDER VOL. 3 TP

10922751866?profile=RESIZE_710xDark Horse | $19.99

Dark Horse Books and YouNeek Studios proudly present the next chapter in the tale of Iyanu in Iyanu: Child of Wonder Vol. 3. Writer and head of YouNeek Studios, Roye Okupe, is joined by artist Chima Kalu, colorist and cover artist Godwin Akpan, and letterer Spoof Animation to bring you this empowering tale inspired by African culture, history and mythology. 

Iyanu is soon to be an HBO Max/Cartoon Network animated series! The Iyanu tale is part of a shared universe of African fantasy and superhero stories — the YouNeek YouNiverse.

In this new volume, Iyanu makes her way to the Source to save all of Yorubaland from an ancient curse. She has help from her new friends: Biyi, a carefree adventurer; Toye, the bookworm; and Ekun, the magical and opinionated giant leopard! Together, all four — known as Team Chosen — embark on an epic adventure full of twists, turns and laughs that will change their lives forever!

Praise and Awards for Iyanu:

Winner: 2022 Nommo Award for Best Graphic Novel — Iyanu: Child of Wonder Vol. 2

Iyanu is a great looking book steeped in the magic of African mythology.” — Comic Crusaders

Iyanu: Child of Wonder has it all — vast world-building, authentic characters, a strong, African female hero at the center, and a first-class team of stellar creators and producers.” — Warner Bros.

“The designs are very slick and futuristic, and ignore some of the design stereotypes which frequently turn up in many ‘African set’ productions created by less intimate creators.” — The Examiner

Iyanu: Child of Wonder has all the elements that make for a great fantasy series.” — CBR

• Ibid.

THE WITCHER: WILD ANIMALS #1 (OF 4)

12143916073?profile=RESIZE_710xThe four-issue miniseries is written by Bartosz Sztybor (The Witcher: Fading Memories, Cyberpunk 2077: You Have My Word) and introduces Ukrainian artist Nataliia Rerekina (Moonchosen), Silver Award-winner of the Japan-International Manga Award, in their U.S. comics debut. Colorist Patricio Delpeche (The Sandman Universe: Nightmare Country) and letterer Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou (The Unlikely Story of Felix and Macabber, All Eight Eyes) complete the series team, with variant cover offerings for issue #1 from acclaimed artists Manuele Fior (Hypericon), Sara Kipin (Poison Ivy: Thorns), and Matt Smith (Hellboy: The Bones of Giants).

Fan-favorite witcher Geralt is no stranger to jobs gone wrong, but washing ashore on a strange new land forces him into a conflict between the hunters who took him in and a mysterious clan known to kill humans. Where man and creatures coexist, there is an unspoken rule—one where the skills of a witcher go beyond killing monsters.

Enjoy a classic witcher adventure with monsters, grim musings and carnage as The Witcher: Wild Animals takes readers to new places with unfamiliar faces in a story based on the hit games by CD Projekt Red!

Praise for The Witcher The Ballad of Two Wolves:

“Feels like a side quest right out of the games, and I mean with the highest praise I can offer.” — Comic Crusaders

“Fans of The Witcher series will find The Ballad of Two Wolves to be a welcome continuation of Geralt's adventures. The story by Bartosz Sztybor does a fine job of emulating the original novels of Andrzej Sapkowski, putting a dark twist on a classic fairy tale. The artwork by Miki Montllo is perfect, with fluid action, rich colors and distinctive character designs. Best of all, this story is easily accessible to anyone who hasn't played The Witcher games or seen the Netflix series. If you haven't explored the world of The Witcher before, this book is a perfect entry point.” — Kabooooom

“This is a perfect introduction to a miniseries that already feels like an emblematic Witcher story.” — ComicBook.com

• This one I'll read, although I'll tradewait. I've held off reading the first two Witcher library editions until I watched the first two seasons of the TV show, so as to be familiar with the Witcher world. That has been done, so the books are moving up to the top of my to-read pile. (Well, near the top. It's a very big pile.) 

12143916263?profile=RESIZE_710x12143916272?profile=RESIZE_710x12143916282?profile=RESIZE_180x180

IDW PUBLISHING

Two Earthdivers titles (one a collection), and three TMNT titles (one a collection) ship this week.

MORE COMICS

NOTES

AHOY has two books out this week, BLACK’S MYTH: KEY TO HIS HEART #4 (OF 5) and CON & ON #3 (OF 5).

Travel back in time to Archie's freshman year of high school ARCHIE SHOWCASE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #15: FRESHMAN YEAR.

Konkret Comics offers some sci-fi space fantasy in AKOLYTE #1. Here's a PREVIEW.

A Hindu demon who wants to be the next Anthony Bourdain has a documentary crew film his quest in BOOM's RARE FLAVOURS #1 (OF 6). Here's a PREVIEW.

"The line between nightmare and waking life blurs" in BOOM's BEHOLD, BEHEMOTH #1. Here's a PREVIEW.

If I wanted a painless way to learn Buddhism, I'd read Abrams' EIGHTFOLD PATH GN.

If I wanted a painless way to learn the African religion of Candomble, I'd read Abrams' TALES OF THE ORISHAS HC.

SHERLOCK HOLMES #1 is by Zenescope, so you know it stars a hot chick. (Despite the title, her name's Spencer.)

BOOKS OF NOTE

AL CAPONE HC

12223239675?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Swann Meralli | Art/Cover: PF Radice | Black Panel Press | Mature | $29.99

Al Capone. Family man, community leader, industrious smuggler, or vicious killer? You decide. Born into a poor Italian family in Brooklyn in 1899, little Alfonso didn't have a lot of options, so he'd have to get creative in order to make a name for himself. A bit of cards, some enforcing, maybe a little protection are a great start. A man's gotta provide for his family, capisce? But, when prohibition starts up in 1920, Al Capone will discover his golden ticket to untold fame and fortune. Now, nobody'll ever forget the name Capone.

• I doubt very few on this page are ignorant of the outlines of Capone's career.
  • I rather like the art. It's cartoony, but nevertheless has some canny rendering that grounds it.
  • "Family man, community leader, industrious smuggler, or vicious killer?" 'Vicious killer' kinda outranks the rest, doesn't it?
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

THE BLACKOUT BOMBSHELL #1 (OF 3) 

12223285471?profile=RESIZE_400x12223286089?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Louis Southard | Art: Dean Kotz, Sean Peacock | Cover: Heather Vaughan | Massive | Mature | $5.99

Heather Vaughan, the award-winning illustrator who has worked with Marvel, IDW, Mondo and more, captures the psychedelic noir vibes of Blackout Bombshell.

From Louis Southard, and artist Dean Kotz (The Butcher of Paris, Krampus, Warlord of Mars Attacks) comes this oversized limited series that's the bastard child of a Philip Marlowe and Hunter S. Thompson novel.

It's 1967 in Sterling City, and private investigator Jack Atlas has been hired to solve a very important case. Unfortunately for him, he doesn't remember anything about it! After a night of drinking turned into a blank slate, Jack must put together what exactly he's gotten himself into before he ends up in a world of trouble. With the help of his best friend and lawyer Casper Fitzpatrick, the duo must embark on the misadventure of a lifetime.

• I like those covers. While the interior art is pretty rough, it seems to suit the material.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

CASE OF THE BLEEDING WALL #1 (OF 4)

12223244054?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Kasey Lansdale, Joe R. Lansdale | Art/Cover: Daniele Serra | Dead Sky Publishing LLC | Mature | $3.99

"Champion Mojo Storyteller" Joe R. Lansdale (Hap & Leonard, Bubba Ho Tep) and his daughter, author/country singer Kasey Lansdale (Creepshow, Impossible Monsters), join forces with award-winning artist Daniele Serra (Hellraiser, The Crow) and colorist Tom Napolitano to bring you Dana and Jana-the new dynamic duo of supernatural-er, supernormal sleuthing!

• Joe Lansdale is hit or miss with me, but I do like his hits. Maybe this will be one of them.

CHILLING ADVENTURES PRESENTS ... MADAM SATAN: HELL ON EARTH (ONE-SHOT)

12159227086?profile=RESIZE_400x12159227100?profile=RESIZE_180x180

Script: Eliot Rahal | Art: Vincenzo Federici | Colors: Ellie Wright | Letters: Jack Morelli | Cover: Vincenzo Federici | Variants: Soo Lee | Archie Comics Publications | $3.99

After Madam Satan waged war on Baxter High, Hell descended upon earth, and even she isn’t safe. Madam Satan seeks refuge from the forces of Lucifer in a random suburban home … and who she meets there is surprising. But is this powerful person a friend or foe? And can the two of them work together to summon Eldritch Terrors and stop Satan’s rampage?

Madam Satan, the long-running macabre anti-hero of the Archie Horror imprint from Archie Comics, is about to take her ongoing battle against Satan to the next level in CHILLING ADVENTURES PRESENTS ... MADAM SATAN: HELL ON EARTH. The one-shot comic book also establishes linked continuity among the Archie Horror titles for the first time with a surprise team-up.

Writer Eliot Rahal kicked off Madam Satan's solo story in a sold-out 2020 one-shot following her memorable run as an iconic Sabrina villain, and he has chronicled her escape from Hell in short stories appearing in two CHILLING ADVENTURES IN SORCERY anthologies. In HELL ON EARTH, with art by Vincenzo Federici (TMNT: The Armageddon Game), those narrative threads come together in an explosive battle as the forces of Hell invade the mortal plane.

"Honestly, I really can't believe they keep letting me do this," Rahal said. "When Archie asked me to write Madam Satan a few years ago I never imagined I'd get to work with the character for so long and over so much time. ... Really, the only choice this time around was for me to let go and have fun. I hope everyone who reads it does, as well."

The events of HELL ON EARTH are so overwhelming that Madam Satan may be in over her head, and a chance encounter with another powerful figure could either save the day or seal her fate. It also places several Archie Horror characters in the same shared universe for the first time, after years of standalone one-shots occupying their own space.

"We're so excited to return to the world of Madam Satan," said Archie Comics Senior Director of Editorial Jamie L. Rotante. "Starting way back in 2020, Eliot has been weaving this beautiful and tragic narrative about the titular character's journey through Hell and back to Earth. This chapter allows it to take a new turn: Madam Satan is back in Greendale, and it seems that Hell has followed her there. Vincenzo's hauntingly gorgeous art amplifies all of the emotion within, while also punching you in the face with graphic and frightening images."

"The fact that I can return to her story with Vincenzo's incredible visuals and Ellie's brilliant colors is such a gift," Rahal said. "I'm so grateful."

Federici drew Madam Satan's previous two chapters in CHILLING ADVENTURES IN SORCERY and THE RETURN OF CHILLING ADVENTURES IN SORCERY, bringing the story's demonic themes to life with his moody, atmospheric inks and dynamic layouts.

"I'm truly excited to be here again!" Federici said. "When I was asked to work on a full Madam Satan one-shot I was like OH YEAH! because of my love for this character. With Madam Satan I can try new things on my page layouts and art style, so I'm always happy to be on this. It's amazing to have the opportunity to continue the story we worked on for the last two years and give her some good action moments. Eliot's script is super funny and I'm lucky to work with him!"

Archie Horror's narrative expansion continues through the rest of this year and the next with more stories exploring the dark corners of its shared universe. Rotante added, "This one-shot is filled with twists and turns both heart-wrenching and horrifying. But trust us, this isn't the end of Madam Satan's story."

• I love how they've re-invented a Golden Age chararacter to serve in this capacity. Michelle Gomez was fantastic in Chilling Adventures of Sabrina.

12225149883?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225150271?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225150291?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225150084?profile=RESIZE_180x18012225150682?profile=RESIZE_180x180

GREENHORNS #1

12223277489?profile=RESIZE_400x12223279081?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Mike Rosenzweig | Cover: Pete Pantazis | Art/Cover: Athila Fabbio | Keenspot Entertainment | $5.99

Stranger Things meets Yellowstone in supernatural western Greenhorns! After suffering unspeakable tragedy at their stately home on the east coast, the three Aperature siblings (proper Isadora, sunny Florence, and somewhat brave Charles Edward) are forced to relocate to the western frontier town of Greenhorn, California to live with their peculiar cowboy uncle. But not all is as it seems in this quiet, dusty neighborhood, as the newest residents soon find out. Children have been going missing in the darkness, while rumors speak of a demonic creature living within it. Uncle Alva may know more than he's letting on; what secrets does he hide behind an off-limits door?

• I'm always interested in a weird Western, and evidently Keenspot is confident enough to offer (gulp!) eight covers!

12223279265?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223279482?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223279865?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223279880?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223279897?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223280275?profile=RESIZE_180x180

KNOW YOUR STATION TP

12223282064?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Sarah Gailey | Art: Liana Kangas | Cover: Becca Carey | Boom Entertainment | Mature | $19.99

The wealthiest people in the solar system abandoned the Earth for a sanctuary in space, leaving the poor to die from climate change. But the 1% won't be safe for long... because a murderer is on the loose, with the rich as their target!

Soon Elise, an employee on the billionaires' space station, is wrapped up in a deadly investigation, dragged deeper into the conspiracy as the last body she wants to go missing does. Even worse, her withdrawals from a highly addictive substance are getting worse and causing terrible hallucinations.

But those drug-induced delusions are nothing compared to the gut-wrenchingly grisly discoveries at the heart of this deadly whodunnit...

Bestselling novelist Sarah Gailey (Eat the Rich, Just Like Home) and rising artistic star Liana Kangas (TRVE KVLT) take a stab at the ultra-wealthy, their dreams of escaping the planet they've put in peril, and the consequences of that economic terror in the near future.

• I will never tire of stories that stick it to the ultra-rich.

RUMPUS ROOM #1 (OF 5)   

12208332874?profile=RESIZE_400x12208333094?profile=RESIZE_180x180Writer: Mark Russell | Artist: Ramon Rosanas | Colorist: Ive Svorcina | Letterer: AndWorld Design | Cover: Tony Harris | Variants: Mike Allred, Mark Russell | AWA | $3.99

Meet Bob Schrunk, technocrat billionaire, collector of bad art, and victim of a hideous skin condition that can only be treated with a highly illicit and definitely not FDA-approved face cream that must be …harvested. From human beings. Bob isn’t unfair, though. He’s happy to let his guests select who will be next to be sent from the Rumpus Room to their doom. There’s just one thing Bob doesn’t know: One of his current guests is an undercover cop — and she’s carrying a concealed gun.

UNCLE SCROOGE AND DONALD DUCK IN LES MISÉRABLES AND WAR AND PEACE HC

12128623064?profile=RESIZE_400x12219584663?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Giovan Battista Carpi | Fantagraphics | 184 pages | $29.99

It’s Victor Hugo … duckified! When French gendarme Javert thinks that poor Jean McJean (Scrooge McDuck) stole two candlesticks, he swears to run him down —even years later, when McJean has become town mayor and guardian of Daisette (Daisy Duck). Are the candlesticks the key to a fabulous treasure lost in Paris? And do the freres Beagle and Peg Leg Thénardier want it? (Silly question!) Then, in our version of Leo Tolstoy’s War and Peace, Count Donald Dukzukov of ancient Russia loves Ducktasha Roastov (Daisy) — but Prince Scrooge McDukzukov wants to force him into an arranged marriage … or punish him in the McDukzukov Metalworks, where cannon balls are so pricey that you have to return them after the battle!

• If nothing else, the ducks will make War and Peace shorter.

MORE PREVIEWS

RED SONJA VOL. 7 #3

12208319868?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208319498?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208320270?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208320475?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208320501?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208320689?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208321259?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208321088?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208321652?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208321477?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208322487?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208322273?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208322301?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208322684?profile=RESIZE_180x18012208322877?profile=RESIZE_180x180

BONE ORCHARD TENEMENT #4 (OF 10)

12223250296?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223250490?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223251056?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223250680?profile=RESIZE_180x18012223250897?profile=RESIZE_180x180

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• The origin of Grootfall is revealed in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #6.

No, thanks. I've got Tales to Astonish #13.

MAESTRO BY PETER DAVID OMNIBUS HC brings all the Maestro miniseries and guest appearances together under one cover

I read all the miniseries recently. In my opinion, oversatruation diluted the original story.

CAPTAIN AMERICA #1

I recently dropped Spider-Man and Fantastic Four and She-Hulk. I'll be trying this one. (You had to go and remind me about "Sins Past" didn't you?)

[Predator vs. Wolverine] seems like an excellent idea!

Only if they kill each other off.

I'm going to officially declare "Summer of Symbiotes" over when the last issue of the miniseries ships.

Over? Did you say "over"? Was it "over" when the Germans bombed Peral Harbor? Hell, no! And it's not over now! Nothing is over until Marvel says it is!

The first appearance of The Penguin is reprinted in the DETECTIVE COMICS #58 FACSIMILE EDITION.

I have always loved reprints. My philosophy (right or wrong) has always been, "If it wasn't good, they wouldn't be reprinting it." For the past several years, however, I've found myself passing on these individual issue reprints because I have so many of them in achival or omnibus format. *SIGH*

WONDER WOMAN #1 - Tom King? I'll be buying this.

JACK KIRBY'S STARR WARRIORS STARRING ADAM STARR & THE SOLAR LEGION - I pre-ordered this. I'm unfamiliar with 1940s Crash Comics Adventures #1, but I have some Solar Legion comic strip reprints in my collection. 

"Not terribly comfortable with this at first blush."

I trust Tom Scioli.

AHOY has two books out this week, BLACK’S MYTH: KEY TO HIS HEART #4 (OF 5) and CON & ON #3 (OF 5).

And I still don't have a copy of Project: Cryptid #1! @#$%

That's three new books for me this week. Last week it was only one: Danger Street.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

The origin of Grootfall is revealed in GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #6.

No, thanks. I've got Tales to Astonish #13.

Is this like Batman’s Knightfall or Thor’s Ragnarok?

[Predator vs. Wolverine] seems like an excellent idea!

Only if they kill each other off.

Unfortunately, there’s more than one Predator.

• Evidently, Kirby drew a five-page story for Crash Comics Adventures #1 in 1940, and Tom Scioli has "remixed" it to make a much longer story.

I'm unfamiliar with 1940s Crash Comics Adventures #1 but I have some Solar Legion comic strip reprints in my collection.

I went looking for those Solar  Legion comic strips and found Solar Legion comic books intread. the "Science Fiction" volume of Titan Books' Simon & Kirby Library series reprints the Solar Legion stories from Crash Comics Adventures #1-3 (May-July 1940). Kirby may have worked on a Solar Legion comic strip as well; he did both book and strip version of Blue Beetle, for example, but I'm content with having found the three issues of Crash Comics Adventures.

This reply was deleted.