Comics Guide: June 5-11, 2023

DC COMICS

ADVENTURES OF JON KENT (#4 (OF 6)

BATMAN #136

BATMAN: FORTRESS HC

11283674679?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Gary Whitta | Art/Cover: Darick Robertson | $29.99

When an unknown alien ship enters Earth's atmosphere, disrupting global power and communications and plunging the planet into chaos, the world is left wondering ... where is Superman when he is needed most? In the mysterious absence of the Last Son of Krypton, Batman must form a team to infiltrate the Fortress of Solitude to find the key to unlocking this brutal mystery! This adventure-filled Elseworlds-type story will leave you breathless! Gary Whitta (Rogue One: A Star Wars Story) and Darick Robertson (The Boys) have joined forces to tell a brutal and shocking adventure that will turn everything you think you know about Superman upside down! Collects BATMAN: FORTRESS #1-8.

• I've been tradewaiting this. I hope it's worth it.

DARK KNIGHTS OF STEEL #11 (OF 12)

FANN CLUB BATMAN SQUAD: THE JUSTIEST JUSTICE OF ALL GN

• For kids.

FLASH #800

11147368082?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Jeremy Adams, Mark Waid, Joshua Williamson, Geoff Johns, Simon Spurrier | Art: Fernando Pasarin & Oclair Albert, Todd Nauck, Carmine Di Giandomenico, Scott Kolins, Mike Deodato Jr. | Cover: Taurin Clarke | $4.99

An oversize anniversary issue concludes writer Jeremy Adams's acclaimed tenure, with special guests Mark Waid, Joshua Williamson and Geoff Johns joining the celebration! As the Adams run races to the finish line, get a prelude to the new Dawn of DC chapter of the Fastest Man Alive's adventures from the dream team of Simon Spurrier (Coda, Detective Comics) and Mike Deodato Jr. (Avengers)!

• Sadly, this starts over at #1 next month. I  miss legacy numbering!
  • Didn't Wally just get killed over in Titans #1?

11147368275?profile=RESIZE_710x11147368101?profile=RESIZE_710x11147369056?profile=RESIZE_710x11147369261?profile=RESIZE_710x11147368490?profile=RESIZE_710x11147369279?profile=RESIZE_710x11147368664?profile=RESIZE_710x

HISTORY OF THE DCU HC

11147368900?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Marv Wolfman | Art: George Perez, Karl Kesel | Cover: Alex Ross | $24.99

Marv Wolfman and George Perez's epic companion to Crisis on Infinite Earths returns to print in this stunning hardcover edition that outlines the greatest events ever to take place in the past, present, and future of the DC Universe after the consolidation of the Multiverse during the events of Crisis. Amplified by the vibrant colors of Tom Ziuko, Wolfman and Perez's history guidebook is a visual and informational treasure trove that every DC fan should own. Collects HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE #1-2.

• This feels like an archaeological artifact from a civilization long gone.

JOKER: THE MAN WHO STOPPED LAUGHING #9

• If you're popular, they give you your own title no matter how many people you've killed.

JOKER UNCOVERED #1 ONE-SHOT

11147370856?profile=RESIZE_710x11147370685?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Various | Cover: Lee Bermejo | $5.99

Lowlifes, creeps and scoundrels, it's your Uncle Joker here. You know art can come from many places. And most great art is about truly despicable people, like me. In that spirit, you should buy The Joker: Uncovered to see a murderer's row of the world's greatest comic book artists commit my beautiful image to dozens of wonderful variant covers, all collected in one place for the very first time. Expand your mind a little bit, and take in some good art.

• No story! Boo!

NIGHTWING VOL. 1: LEAPING INTO THE LIGHT TP

PEACEMAKER TRIES HARD #2 (OF 6)

11147371498?profile=RESIZE_710x

<>Story: Kyle Starks | Art: Steve Pugh | Cover: Kris Anka | $4.99

The Brain has given Peacemaker no choice but to complete a dangerous mission on his behalf, but he won't have to kick bad-guy butt on his own. With Monsieur Mallah at his side, Peacemaker breaks into the secret base of General Immortus to steal some super-villain DNA. What starts as the team-up you never knew you wanted takes a surprising turn that could leave Peacemaker facedown in a pool of his own blood!

• If you're funny, they give you your own title no matter how many people you've killed.
  • Cover B is a Superman #14 cover homage or parody.

11147371859?profile=RESIZE_710x11147371892?profile=RESIZE_710x

POISON IVY #13

11283746266?profile=RESIZE_710x11283744684?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: G. Willow Wilson | Art: Marcio Takara | Covers: Jessica Fong, Kai Carpenter, Frank Cho, Mindy Lee, Claire Roe | 32 pages | $3.99 | Variant $4.99 (card stock)

Pamela Isley’s comic book journey has grown beyond her original plan as today the publisher announced the hit six-issue DC mini-series Poison Ivy, which was expanded into a second six-issue arc in December 2022, will continue as an ongoing comic book series beginning in June 2023 with Poison Ivy #13!

Written by G. Willow Wilson, with art by Marcio Takara and covers by Jessica Fong, fan-favorite Poison Ivy’s quest to undo the wrongs of man and return the Earth to the Green persists … at whatever the cost. The comic book series “shines best when we see Ivy being forced to confront humanity, both her own and that of others, and in the process forces the reader to truly see the world” (COMICBOOK).

Launched as a limited series in June 2022 during DC’s annual Pride celebration, Poison Ivy’s dark, lush, character-driven first story arc focused on “an Ivy who is both a giver of mercy and merciless, who is beautiful and deadly, broken and fierce” (COMICBOOK) with psychedelic art and a host of new characters and ethical quandaries that brought Ivy up to the edge of horror from issue to issue.

Poison Ivy’s second story arc kicked off with two issues of interior art by Atagun Ilhan, a graduate of DC’s Milestone Initiative, who brought “a haunting, evocative vision to Ivy’s newest adventure, with impressive shadow work and explosive action scenes” (AiPT) and delivered “emotional eco-horror energy while building off what came before to enter a new phase for the green-loving villain” (COMICON). 

• If you're hot, they give you your own title no matter how many people you've killed.

11283755063?profile=RESIZE_710x11283761072?profile=RESIZE_710x11283765091?profile=RESIZE_710x

SCOOBY-DOO WHERE ARE YOU #122

SHAZAM #2

STEELWORKS #1 (OF 6)

11107186889?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Michael Dorn | Art: Sami Basri | Covers:  Clay Mann, Jon Bogdanove, Sami Basri, Ariel Colón, Héléne Lenoble, Joshua “Sway” Swaby | $3.99

John Henry Irons — the DC super hero known as Steel — is enjoying a resurgence, thanks to both the Dawn of DC, and the “Steel: Engineer of Tomorrow” story arc currently in Action Comics.

On June 6, just in time for the character’s 30th anniversary (first appearance: Adventures of Superman #500), Actor and science fiction icon Michael Dorn, picks up the reins in his comic book writing debut in Steelworks, a six-issue limited series.

Featuring art by Sami Basri (Catwoman, Harley Quinn), Dorn is no stranger to Steel, Metropolis or Superman, having voiced the character in the fan favorite Superman: The Animated Series. “Writing a comic book is a completely new experience for me,” said Dorn. “But working with Sami and seeing his art has really helped me bring the personality of John I crafted in the series to the page. I can’t wait for fans to see what we’ve got planned!”

The Metropolis of the future is here today, but can it survive a terrorist who’s out for revenge against its builder — John Henry Irons, a.k.a. Steel — and his company, Steelworks … and who possesses secrets that could undo everything John has worked so hard to build?

While John’s professional life is firing on all cylinders, his personal life is even better, as his on-again, off-again relationship with Lana Lang might be back on, permanently. Now he must decide whether it’s time to give up being Steel once and for all. But does John even know who he would be without his superhero identity? How does the other Steel — John’s niece, Natasha Irons — feel about his momentous decision? And does any of that matter if Steelworks crumbles around him when he lacks the superpowers to fight back?

Steelworks #1 features a main cover by Clay Mann, with variant covers by renowned Steel and Superman artist Jon Bogdanove, series artist Basri, Ariel Colón and Héléne Lenoble, plus a PRIDE month variant cover by Joshua “Sway” Swaby. 

• Yep, Worf is writing comics now.

11107187458?profile=RESIZE_710x11107186698?profile=RESIZE_710x11147374680?profile=RESIZE_710x11147374494?profile=RESIZE_710x11147374855?profile=RESIZE_710x

WONDER WOMAN HISTORIA: THE AMAZONS HC

11147375100?profile=RESIZE_710x11147378670?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Kelly Sue Deconnick | Art: Phil Jimenez, Gene Ha, Nicola Scott | Cover: Phil Jimenez | $29.99

Millennia ago, Queen Hera and the goddesses of the Olympian pantheon grew greatly dissatisfied with their male counterparts ... and far from their sight, they put a plan into action. A new society was born, one never before seen on Earth, capable of wondrous and terrible things ... but their existence could not stay secret for long. When a despairing woman named Hippolyta crossed the Amazons' path, a series of events was set in motion that would lead to an outright war across heaven and Earth —and the creation of Earth's greatest guardian! Legendary talents Kelly Sue DeConnick, Phil Jimenez, Gene Ha and Nicola Scott unleash a critically lauded and Eisner Award-winning reading experience the likes of which you've never seen, with unbelievably sumptuous art and a story that will haunt you. Collects WONDER WOMAN HISTORIA: THE AMAZONS #1-3.

• I've been tradewaiting this. And in the interim, it's apparently become the basis for whatever James Gunn is going to do with Wonder Woman. So better yet!
  • Hopefully this does away with Brian Azzarello's weird idea for Amazon boys to A) exist, and B) be given as babies to Hephaestus for slave labor. I liked most of Azzarello's changes in the mythos — especially Diana being elevated to demigod status — but this one tarred the Amazons beyond redemption.

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

MALEFICENT #2

11107182876?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Soo Lee | Art: Soo Lee | Cover: Jennifer L. Meyer | $3.99

Chapter Two: "The Well-Meaning Prince." A brave lad approaches the Forbidden Mountain, eager to find his lost brother, who is said to have wandered where he shouldn't have. The prince will be espied by a foreboding crow, stalked by an ominous serpent, and shown the true, awful personification of evil ... Maleficent.

11107183665?profile=RESIZE_710x11107183872?profile=RESIZE_710x11107183699?profile=RESIZE_710x11107184476?profile=RESIZE_710x11107182891?profile=RESIZE_710x11107182896?profile=RESIZE_710x11107183258?profile=RESIZE_710x11107183087?profile=RESIZE_710x11107183456?profile=RESIZE_710x11107183283?profile=RESIZE_710x

PURGATORI MUST DIE #5

IMAGE COMICS

ALMIGHTY #5 (OF 5)

AMBASSADORS #6 (OF 6)

BLOOD TREE #5

HELL TO PAY #5 (OF 6)

HEY KIDS COMICS VOL 3: SCHLOCK OF THE NEW #3

I HATE THIS PLACE #9

11107225487?profile=RESIZE_710x11107225660?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Kyle Starks | Art/Cover: Artyom Topilin, Lee Loughridge | Mature | $3.99

Today Skybound revealed a first look at I Hate This Place #9, the penultimate issue of the GLAAD Media Award-nominated supernatural horror series from creator/writer Kyle Starks (Assassin Nation, The Six Sidekicks of Trigger Keaton), creator/artist Artyom Topilin (Ice Cream Man Presents Quarantine Comix Special), colorist Lee Loughridge (Deadly Class, The Good Asian), and letterer Pat Brosseau (Birthright, Manifest Destiny).

Questions will be answered as Gabby and Trudy face terrors from their past, present and future in this issue of I Hate This Place! With just one more issue before the series finale, this is can’t-miss reading of the highest degree. 

“Buckle up! We’re so proud to bring you toward the explosive finale to this incredible series.” Said Alex Antone, Editorial Director at Skybound. “While we still Hate This Place, we will always love the story that Kyle, Artyom, Lee, and Pat have told.” 

I Hate This Place is reaching new heights in terror ... a tour de force.” — Lotusland Comics

“An amazing tale that is equal parts emotional character-building and stark terror.” — But Why Tho

• Penultimate issue. I do recommend the story, although I still find the art off-putting.

11107225694?profile=RESIZE_710x11107226461?profile=RESIZE_710x11107226263?profile=RESIZE_710x11107226481?profile=RESIZE_710x

IN HELL WE FIGHT #1

11004088697?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story/Art: John Layman | Cover: Jok | Variant: Heironymous Bosch & Jok | $3.99

Multiple Eisner Award winning writer/letterer John Layman (Chew, Suicide Squad: Kill Arkham Asylum) and Argentinian superstar artist JOK team up for a devilishly fun new series.

“I’m thrilled to be back at Image with a new book,” said Layman. “In Hell We Fight is the most ambitious thing I’ve done in a while, and also the most fun. Nonstop action, adventure and general weirdness, with loads of heart, and I can say with confidence this will be the best time anyone will have reading about kids condemned to an eternity in hell. Luckily for me I’ve teamed up with a great artist — Jok — who’s probably the one person on Earth who can capture this unique balance of light and dark, horror and heart. I think this is the perfect vehicle to introduce him to a broader American comic book-reading audience.”

Life in Hell ain’t easy. Demons try to torture you for all eternity. Monsters want to eat you. There’s a stunning lack of reliable indoor plumbing. And it’s almost impossible to get ice cream. At least, until today, when three condemned teens and their annoying tagalong demon frenemy embark on a daring scheme to hijack a demon lord’s delivery truck. What happens next will take them on an epic journey across the underworld, an infernal excursion of non-stop excitement, danger, and adventure.

“It is a great honor and privilege to be able to make my great dream come true since I was a teenager: To be published at Image,” said Jok. “Alongside none other than the great John Layman, a colossal writer capable of conveying charm, humor, warmth, darkness and surprise at an astonishing pace. In Hell We Fight is an adventure with very human and recognizable characters, faced with an absolutely overwhelming and extraordinary challenges. Come on board, don't miss this amazing journey!”

Also, Image Comics is proud to announce the first comic work by noted 16th Century Renaissance painter Hieronymus Bosch, whose 1482 surrealist masterwork "The Last Judgment" will be featured as an incentive jam cover with regular series artist Jok.

“I’ve been very fortunate that a spectacular assortment of fantastically talented artists have graced the covers of my books over the years,” said Layman in his husky baritone. “And that includes Christian Ward, Dustin Nguyen and Ben Templesmith on the first three issues of In Hell We Fight. But I’ve never been more thrilled than to work with one of my all-time favorite Dutch Renaissance painters, and I’m equally sure that if Bosch was alive today, he’d be equally ecstatic to be featured on the cover of the first issue of my new Image series.”

“I love this book!” Hieronymous Bosch would have said, probably. “And nothing is more exciting to me than creating this painting solely for the purpose of being used as an incentive comic book cover. There is no better book to spotlight my fantastic, weird and disturbing artwork than this terrific new comic book by Layman and Jok.

“If comic books existed in Brabant, Netherlands, during the Middle Ages, I have no doubt this would have my favorite comic book EVER,” Bosch would have continued, most likely. “It’s nonstop fun, action and weirdness, with loads of heart. Layman and Jok have a real winner on their hands. If I hadn’t died a half a millennium ago, I’d rush directly to my nearest comic book store and preorder the HELL out of this sucker!”

• It seems to me that if you're in hell, you've already kind of lost whatever fight it is you're fighting.
  • I am please to see Heironymous Bosch finally put out some new work.

11004089458?profile=RESIZE_710x11004089286?profile=RESIZE_710x11004089499?profile=RESIZE_710x11004089260?profile=RESIZE_710x11021948088?profile=RESIZE_710x

INFERNO GIRL RED VOL 1 TP

JUNK RABBIT #3 (OF 5)

KROMA BY DE FELICI TP

LOVE EVERLASTING #8

MAGIC ORDER 4 #5 (OF 6)

NOCTERRA #15

PHANTOM ROAD #4

SPAWN #342

SPAWN ORIGINS VOL 25 TP

STARSIGNS #2

STONEHEART #4

WALKING DEAD DLX #64

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN BEYOND OMNIBUS HC

BISHOP: WAR COLLEGE #5 (OF 5)

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY #13

10993973072?profile=RESIZE_710x11205867881?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Collin Kelly & Jackson Lanzing | Art: Alina Erofeeva | Cover: Carmen Carnero | Teen+ | $3.99

In CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY #13, guest artist Alina Erofeeva joins Kelly and Lanzing for the penultimate chapter of COLD WAR! Just when White Wolf thinks he’s gained the upper hand, Sam Wilson and Steve Rogers rally under the banner of Captain America. Meanwhile, Black Widow and Peggy Carter clash over what it means to be a hero — and whether Bucky Barnes is still someone worth saving.

• "Cold War" Part 5

DAREDEVIL #12

11205918478?profile=RESIZE_710x11205931467?profile=RESIZE_710x11205937859?profile=RESIZE_710x11107211893?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Chip Zdarsky |  Art/Cover: Marco Checchetto | Teen+ | $3.99

IT’S ALL COME DOWN TO THIS: A HEART-WRENCHING SHOWDOWN IN DAREDEVIL #12

It’s the beginning of the end of Chip Zdarsky and Marco Checchetto’s acclaimed run as Elektra and Matt Murdock share a final dance.

• Called it! This is how Matt and Elektra break up, so he's free to date Echo in the next Daredevil #1!

DEADPOOL: BADDER BLOOD #1 (OF 5)

10921450282?profile=RESIZE_710x11206041863?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Rob Liefeld | Teen+ | $4.99

This June, superstar comics talent Rob Liefeld is back with another action-packed saga starring one of his greatest creations in DEADPOOL: BADDER BLOOD! A sequel to Liefeld’s hit Deadpool: Bad Blood, DEADPOOL: BADDER BLOOD will be a five-issue limited series that will deliver another definitive Deadpool adventure in iconic Liefeld style!

This latest chapter will see the Merc with the Mouth team up with guest stars like Spider-Man, Wolverine and Cable against a dangerous new villain. Deadpool’s upcoming mission will also raise the stakes of Deadpool’s intense feud with his adversary known as Thumper, revealing surprising details about the deadly killer’s origin along the way. Additionally, fans will be introduced to brand-new Liefeld created characters including KILLVILLE, ARCATA and the mysterious warrior SHATTERSTORM! 

“Deadpool really doesn’t have a Rogue’s Gallery of his own, he mostly tangles with other heroes' villains, so I dedicated the entirety of Bad Blood to building up the story of Thumper,” Liefeld told The Hollywood Reporter. “With Badder Blood, Thumper is making moves across the gangs and crime organizations of the Marvel Universe to squeeze Deadpool and deliver him into his clutches. Thumper is also moving to destroy all the scientists behind the Weapon X program and specifically the program that created him. It’s a romp that continues to build out a Rogues Gallery for Deadpool.”

• Can't wait to ignore this!

11206087867?profile=RESIZE_710x11206081652?profile=RESIZE_710x10921450655?profile=RESIZE_710x10921450493?profile=RESIZE_710x10921450671?profile=RESIZE_710x

FANTASTIC FOUR #8

11134119072?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Ryan North | Art: Ivan Fiorelli | Cover: Alex Ross | Wraparound connecting 700 characters variant cover: Scott Koblish | Teen+ | $3.99

The Fantastic Four are finally settling into their new normal ... but something very ABNORMAL is happening outside their farmhouse. Sue and Alicia get to spend some quality time together in town, but when they return, everything is not how they left it ... and a very different Fantastic Four are left in their place! It's Sue and Alicia versus the world — and the start of a special two-part story!

Hitting stands in May, the 700th issue of FANTASTIC FOUR will be a giant-sized spectacular from the title’s current creative team, writer Ryan North and artist Iban Coello. Koblish will help them celebrate in spectacular style with a one-of-a-kind wraparound connecting cover that will adorn both May’s FANTASTIC FOUR #7 and June’s FANTASTIC FOUR #8. Perfectly encapsulating the rich history of Marvel’s first family, this massive piece features over 700 characters, each one having appeared in a prior issue of FANTASTIC FOUR. From the Fantastic Four’s fellow super heroes like the Avengers and X-Men, past members, iconic villains, and everyone in between, this epic assembly serves as a love letter to the team’s unparalleled legacy and their undeniable impact on the Marvel Universe they helped shape!

“I’ve been a big fan of the Fantastic Four since I was a little kid, so not only was it an honor to draw this cover, but it was a dream come true to scroll through every issue of FANTASTIC FOUR ever,” Koblish said. “I hope I was able to convey all of the sheer joy, wonder, and boundless creativity that the Fantastic Four have embodied for six decades and I hope it continues to be a shining beacon for decades to come.”

• Is anyone going to actually count to see if that's 700 characters?

11206217255?profile=RESIZE_710x

11206222077?profile=RESIZE_710x10994035697?profile=RESIZE_710x

GENERATION X EPIC COLLECTION: SECRET OF M TP

GROOT #2 (OF 4)

HOOD: SAGA OF PARKER ROBBINS TP

IMMORTAL X-MEN #12

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #7

11002216699?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Gerry Duggan | Art: Juan Frigeri | Covers: Kael Ngu, Derrick Chew | Teen+ | $3.99

In INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #7, Tony Stark is in dire need of a win! But how does he plan to get ahead? By building a new suit of armor! The suit’s first objective? Infiltrate and destroy Stark Industries! And that’s not all, July’s INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #8 will tie directly into this year’s HELLFIRE GALA! As the X-Men celebrate mutantkind’s biggest night, Iron Man has to contend with the new Stark Sentinels flying through New York! Can Tony stop these mutant-hunting machines alone?

Gerry Duggan and Juan Frigeri’s hit new run of INVINCIBLE IRON MAN is heating up in the months ahead with shocking FALL OF X developments including the rise of Stark Sentinels and Tony’s new alliance with Emma Frost! INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #7 will see Tony taking the initiative, building a new suit of armor to infiltrate and destroy Stark Unlimited, which has fallen into the hands of his new nemesis, Feilong!

This highly-anticipated issue will get a stunning variant cover by acclaimed cover artist Derrick Chew. Over the last few months, this rising superstar has drawn Marvel’s greatest heroes in show stopping variant covers, and now spotlights IRONHEART! The young super genius helped Iron Man get back on his feet in the opening chapters of Duggan and Frigeri's new run. Will she stand by Tony’s side again in the dark days to come?

• That image of hammering iron looks familiar. Maybe a bit of an homage to Journey into Mystery #120? Maybe not. Cool look, though.

11206302056?profile=RESIZE_710x11107207863?profile=RESIZE_710x

LOKI #1 (OF 4)

10998775057?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Dan Watters | Art: Germán Peralta | Covers: Dustin Nguyen, Rod Reis, Stanley "Artgerm" Lau | Teen+ | $4.99

This June, Loki will unleash his unique brand of mayhem on the Marvel Universe again as he takes center stage in a brand-new solo series! Announced earlier this year, LOKI will be a four-issue limited series written by Dan Watters (Sword of Azrael, Arkham City) in his exciting Marvel Comics debut and drawn by acclaimed artist Germán Peralta (Black Panther, Maestro). Today, fans can learn even more about this new chapter for Loki as the main cover by Dustin Nguyen is unveiled!

He may be the “benevolent” God of Stories now, but Loki’s past as the God of Lies returns to haunt him when ancient, powerful weapons he once built end up scattered across the Ten Realms! Loki must track down these weapons before they fall into the wrong hands and bring about Ragnarok. Surprising guest stars, exciting new characters and startling twists await as Loki’s journey takes him to Nidavellir, Kree space, and Earth where he’ll confront heroes, villains, and most of all, himself!

"It’s hard to say what a delight it is to be making my Marvel debut, even more so to be doing it with the God of Stories himself — taking him all the way around the Marvel Universe and back again,” Watters shared. “I can’t wait for all to see the beauty Germán’s art is breathing into this tale we have to tell you: full of magic, danger — and if Loki can’t help himself (he can’t) — quite a smidge of mischief."

“Loki is one of the most interesting characters, not only in comics, but also in mythology, and his ambiguity in all aspects of his life makes him a very interesting character for an artist,” Peralta said. “I always say that I really enjoy drawing villains, but Loki has everything. It was ‘love at first sight’ when I read the script. Dan is amazing, and I'm sure he's having a lot of fun with it too. I can't wait to draw Loki’s expressions, since there are always double intentions with him, and it's going to be very entertaining to play with that, as well as everything related to his universe. Having the opportunity to draw Loki is undoubtedly a beautiful way to start the year. It's going to be a road full of challenges, but I'm sure it's going to be a great journey.”

To celebrate the iconic character’s new chapter, superstar artist Stanley “Artgerm” Lau has depicted Lady Loki in a gorgeous cover that will grace LOKI #1! Available as both a regular variant cover and a virgin variant cover, this mesmerizing masterpiece is latest of Artgerm’s best-selling character portraits that spotlight Marvel’s beloved heroes and villains.

Can Loki save the Marvel Universe from his past misdeeds? 

• Loki just gets consistently more interesting. He's finally living up to what a shapeshifting god of mischief who once gave birth to a horse ought to be.

10954118468?profile=RESIZE_710x11035745860?profile=RESIZE_710x11206400069?profile=RESIZE_710x11206386687?profile=RESIZE_710x

RED GOBLIN #5

10999232701?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Alex Paknadel | Art: Jan Bazaldua | Cover: Inhyuk Lee | Teen+ | $3.99

In RED GOBLIN #5, Normie Osborn is the new Red Goblin, and he’s trying to escape his family legacy by proving himself as a hero. But when that eagerness puts him on a collision course with Carnage, Normie and his symbiote will emerge from this issue forever changed!

• “Carnage Reigns” Part 4

SPIDER-MAN #9

SPIDER-MAN VOL 1: END OF THE SPIDER-VERSE TP

SPIDER-WOMAN BY DENNIS HOPELESS TP

STAR WARS #35

STAR WARS: HAN SOLO AND CHEWBACCA VOL 2: CRYSTAL RUN PART II TP

STAR WARS: RETURN OF THE JEDI — EMPIRE #1

STAR WARS: YODA #8

VENOM #20

X-FORCE BY BENJAMIN PERCY VOL 6 TP

X-MEN #23

11002216497?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Gerry Duggan | Art/Cover: Joshua Cassara | Teen+ | $3.99

Following their shocking debut in FREE COMIC BOOK DAY 2023: AVENGERS/X-MEN #1, the new Stark Sentinels will have their first run-in with the X-Men in X-MEN #23. Feilong has devoted Iron Man’s technology to build the next generation of Sentinels! These upgraded versions are as hard to beat as old Shellhead himself and are fully devoted to crushing the X-Men!

FALL OF X is coming, and as the X-Men brace themselves for the dark road ahead, they’ll also find strength in mutantkind’s new ally: Iron Man! Writer Gerry Duggan, currently helming the X-MEN and INVINCIBLE IRON MAN ongoing series, will weave together and feature essential stories in both titles that will impact the X-Men’s upcoming status quo.

Things have already been set in motion as Feilong, the mutant-hating industrialist from Duggan’s X-MEN, is now in control of Stark Unlimited’s incredible resources and plans to use them in Orchis’ vicious war against mutants. As events escalate, will Tony step up to become one mutantkind’s greatest defenders? Or will he join them in the bleak world that awaits them all in FALL OF X?

• Iron Man Sentinels? Nothing terrifying about that at all!
  • It's kind of funny in a way, but I don't which redheaded character that is in the cover below. Probably not Jean Grey, but Rachel Summers? Hope? Rahne Sinclair? Evidently there's a lot of Irish in the mutant gene.

11206630884?profile=RESIZE_710x11206669868?profile=RESIZE_710x11206620857?profile=RESIZE_710x

X-MEN: BEFORE THE FALL — MUTANT FIRST STRIKE #1

10999345260?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Steve Orlando | Art: Valentina Pinti | Cover: David Baldeón | Teen+ | $4.99

It’s a mutant mystery for the ages in X-MEN: BEFORE THE FALL — MUTANT FIRST STRIKE #1, written by Steve Orlando and drawn by Valentina Pinti. A deadly mutant attacks an innocent small town but nothing is what it seems. Jean Grey, Cyclops, and Bishop are tasked with a routine mission but as they dig deeper, they uncover a hidden truth that will send shockwaves through mutantkind.

• "Sons of X" Part 3
  • That "Cap's Kooky Quartet" cover makes me nostalgic for the days when Quicksilver was still good, Magneto was still bad, Scarlet Witch was still sane and all three were still mutants.

11206646852?profile=RESIZE_710x11206639883?profile=RESIZE_710x

MORE COMICS

ANAÏS NIN: A SEA OF LIES 

10993997862?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story/Art: Leonie Bischoff | Fantagraphics | 200 pages | $19.99

In lithe, sensuous colored pencils, this international prize-winning, impressionistic graphic biography traces the life, the affairs, and the artistic process of Anais Nin, one of the best-known authors of women's erotica in the 1920s and '30s.

Ana s Nin, the author of works such as Delta of Venus and House of Incest, is the patron saint of taboo-breaking pop culture sexual iconoclasts. Not only is she an inspiration for contemporary figures such as Madonna, but her oeuvre, which encompasses erotica, autobiography, essays, short fiction, novels and much more, has been adapted into film (Henry and June), television (Little Bird), and other media.

The cartoonist Léonie Bischoff traces the life of the prolific writer in this lushly colored graphic novel. It begins with Nin struggling to reconcile the man she married (who had artistic aspirations) with the banker she finds herself living with in the Parisian suburbs. Soon, her obsession with June Miller leads to inspiration. Nin's life and art, the truth and fiction, are further intertwined as she recounts her many sexual liaisons including those with Henry Miller (whom she and her husband subsidize so he can write the controversial Tropic of Cancer), her psychoanalysts and even her father. Although Bischoff's drawing is largely representational, she occasionally depicts Nin's sexual experiences in scenes as surreal as Nin's own written portrayal of them.

"A striking portrait of this chameleon-like woman with light and elegant lines." — Telerama

"A seven-years-in-the-making, no-holds-barred story of Nin's adventures and quest for personal freedom." — Mediapart

"Bischoff vividly dramatizes the psyche and the fantasies of Nin, rendering superb graphic metaphors in stunning colors." — Les Inrocks

"Distilling a calculated sensuality, Léonie Bischoff delivers a formative novel, at once joyful and disturbing." — Livre Hebdo

• Hey, a famous person I've heard of!
  • I remember learning about Anais Nin in high school, and coming away with very little. I got the impression of her extensive sex life — can't be avoided, really — but without any details (it was high school), I didn't really know who or what or why. It was all couched in euphemisms and almost abstract. And I didn't read anything she wrote. Basically we learned about her because of her influence on, and proximity to, more famous writers like Henry Miller (whose work we also didn't read), and I came away thinking all she was famous for was whom she slept with. Which was probably intended. She was not held up as a shining example in 1970s public school, and I knew enough to answer any likely SAT questions about her, so my interest ended there.
  • Her reputation as a writer has been rehabilitated since those days, but I've still never read anything she wrote, and didn't see Henry and June (based on her journals about Henry and June Miller, with whom she had affairs). I can't even name the title of anything she wrote.
  • This book could correct my ignorance. But honestly, I don't need any more books that I'll never get around to reading. I still have two autobiographical GNs about George Orwell, who is considerably more important, and a GN adaptation of 1984, that I'll probably never get around to reading. Why add to the pile (and the guilt)?
  • Given her reputation, you'd think the book would be rated "Mature," but it's not. 

11284912268?profile=RESIZE_710x

11284944477?profile=RESIZE_710xASTROBOTS #2 (OF 5)

BACK TO FAIRTAYLIA #6 (OF 6)

BOYS WEEKEND GN

11204446878?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Mattie Lubchansky | Pantheon Books | Mature | $28.00

Part satire, part horror, Boys Weekend explores what it's like to exist as a transfemme person in a man's world, the difficulty of maintaining friendships through transition, and the more cult-like effects of masculinity, "hustle" culture and capitalism — all through the vibrant lens of a surreal, scary and immensely imaginative romp. Newly-out trans artist's assistant Sammie is invited to an old friend's bachelor weekend in El Campo, a hedonistic wonderland of a city floating in the Atlantic Ocean's international waters-think Las Vegas with even fewer rules. Though they have not identified as a man for over a year, Sammie's college buddies haven't quite gotten the message-as evidenced by their formerly closest friend Adam asking them to be his "best man." Bad enough that they have to suffer through a torrent of passive-aggressive comments from the groom's pals-all met with zero pushpack from supposed "nice guy" Adam. But also, they seem to be the only one who's noticed the mysterious cult that's also staying at the hotel, and is ritually dismembering guests and demanding fealty to their bloodthirsty god.

• Meanwhile, this one is rated Mature.

BREATH OF SHADOWS #5

• IDW Publishing

BY THE HORNS: DARK EARTH #9

CATRINA'S CARAVAN #1

11206960481?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Hector Rodriguez Iii | Art: Guillermo Villarreal | Cover: Yasmin Flores Montanez | Scout-Chispa | $5.99

CHISPA. The mysterious figure of Doña Catrina sweeps into a small town with her traveling carnival and tells a gathered crowd a dark tale. A father and son are captured by a group of militiamen who use terror to "patrol" the border. At their darkest moment, the refugees find a fierce ally — but can they truly trust a monster once it has killed the other monsters?

• I'm not sure what "Chispa" is. I'm guessing Hispanic-themed comics, not comics that are actually in Spanish.

DICTATORSHIP: ITS EASIER THAN YOU THINK GN

11207030258?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Sarah Kendzior, Andrea Chalupa | Art: Kasia Babis | First Second Books | $28.99

Do you crave the power to shape the world in your image? Can you tell lies without blinking an eye? Do you see enemies all around you? If you answered yes to all of the above, then this is the job for you! And if becoming a dictator sounds intriguing, well, you've just stumbled upon the playbook that will guide you step by step toward making your big lie a reality. Join Gaslit Nation cohosts Sarah Kendzior and Andrea Chalupa, with artist Kasia Babis, on a journey from riches to even more riches. They'll show you how to consolidate your authority, silence your critics, weaponize your citizens and even prolong your inevitable downfall!

• That it's easy is exactly what I'm afraid of.

ETERNUS #4

FENCE REDEMPTION #1

11150713280?profile=RESIZE_710x11206775081?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: C.S. Pacat | Art/Cover: Johanna the Mad | Covers: Johanna, Pagowska, Valerio | BOOM! | $4.99

USA Today best-selling author C. S. Pacat (Dark Knights of Steel: Tales From the Three Kingdoms, Dark Rise) and acclaimed cartoonist Johanna the Mad (Wynd) continue their winning streak with the continuation of the on-point GLAAD Media Award-nominated series!

Return to the thrilling world of high-stakes, competitive fencing with a brand new story featuring the beloved cast of characters from the original hit series.

Are Senji and Jesse really through? The rumors around Halverton, the prestigious fencing training camp, have spread like wildfire, but it's not long before a mystery fencer arrives-one who may finally pose a threat to the #1 spot.

Will Senji's unquenchable quest for rivalry be what finally makes him leave Nicholas behind? 

• At last, someone's exploring the universal experience of expensive, elitist private school fencing. What has taken so long? Let's hope books about lacrosse and steeplechase aren't far behind!
  • Here's a preview

FRANK FRAZETTA'S DEATH DEALER #13

11207080493?profile=RESIZE_710x

• This week's Frank Frazetta cover.

GODFELL #4 

GRIMM SPOTLIGHT: MASUMI

11207194266?profile=RESIZE_710x

• An homage to the movie posters featuring Black Widow. 

11290829283?profile=RESIZE_710x11290844268?profile=RESIZE_710x11290851876?profile=RESIZE_710x

GRYFFEN #3 (OF 3)

HAIRBALL #3 (OF 4)

• Holy cats! Dark Horse is now "Dark Horse-PRH" in the "Comics and Graphic Novels" section of the Diamond website, instead of in its own section. 

HERE COMES CALICO #2 (OF 8)

JOAN JETT & THE BLACKHEARTS: BAD REPUTATION/I LOVE ROCK 'N' ROLL

11207466493?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Various | Z2 Comics | $24.99

Comics' biggest talents come together to form an exciting all woman team of creators and bring you stories to celebrate the 40th anniversary of Joan Jett's seminal albums!

Bad Reputation and I Love Rock 'n' Roll hit audiences like an atom bomb, defining a sound that became a soundtrack that would span generations. Now, in celebration of the 40th anniversary of these seminal albums, an unparalleled team of women creators bring these songs to life as 20 stories.

• FORTY YEARS?!?? I'm going to have to lie down for a while now. I feel very old.

JODOROWSKY LIBRARY: MADWOMAN OF SACRED HEART HC 

LADY DEATH RULES VOL 4 HC

LAMENTATION #2

LORE OLYMPUS VOL 4 GN

MARK OF DEATH VOL 1: YEAR OF THE RAT

MONEY SHOT COMES AGAIN #2

11207571869?profile=RESIZE_710x

• I will never look at Crisis on Infinite Earths #7 the same way again.

MY LITTLE PONY #13

• IDW Publishing

NIGHTMARE BRIGADE VOL 3: FINDING ALICE GN

NIKI DE SAINT PHALLE STORY OF HER LIFE GN

11207758891?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Monica Foggia | Art: Valeria Quattrocchi | Pastel | $24.95

Few artists' lives are as inspiring as that of Niki de Saint Phalle. While she started her career as a fashion model, a subsequent breakdown led to her taking up painting as therapy. Entirely self-taught, Niki spent the rest of her years devoted to art that was based in emotional truth and a feminist point of view. This graphic novel follows Niki's extraordinary career, from her early "shooting pictures," in which she fired bullets at bags of paint, to the creation of the exuberantly formed life-sized dolls she called "Nanas," which established her as an international success.

• Another famous person I haven't heard of. But I do know the capitals of all three Baltic states, so there.

ONCE UPON A TIME AT END OF THE WORLD VOL 1

ONCE UPON A TIME AT END OF WORLD #6

PRISM: THE ART JOURNEY OF COSMIC SPECTRUM HC 

11207858891?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Cosmic Spectrum | 3D Total Publishing | $50.00

The Art Journey of Cosmic Spectrum features the characters, worlds and stories created by artist Yana Bogatch, aka Cosmic Spectrum. This volume showcases the artist's entire story and demonstrates the development of her style and career, as well as brand new art and tutorial content. With character art and comics being her specialty, the book features an array of tips and techniques for drawing anatomy, gesture and character details. Storytelling and connecting with other people are vital to the artist, and readers will be fascinated to discover how she infuses her art with these motivations. The Art Journey of Cosmic Spectrum is the creative inspiration and springboard every character artist needs.

PUC ARTIST & MYTH OF COLOR #1 

11207907090?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Miles Greb | Art/Cover: Garrett Richert | Scout | $4.99

NONSTOP. A story is something you are drawn into-in this case, literally. Puc and his friends live in a world where paintings and drawings can come to life. But, unknown to them something important is missing ... color. Whatever Puc draws comes to life. Of course, there's nothing special about that. This is perfectly normal for artists in his world. Puc's home is a land full of monsters, kingdoms and armies — all brought into existence in by artists. But while all the other artists work in black and white, Puc just found out that he can paint in color!

SINS OF THE SALTON SEA #1 (OF 5)

11207992270?profile=RESIZE_710x11208001498?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Ed Brisson | Art: C. P. Smith | Cover: Tim Bradstreet | AWA | Mature | $3.99

Wyatt, a professional thief living off the grid, is recruited by his brother for one last job. Their target: an armored car traveling down a desolate stretch of California highway. But when it turns out that their target is carrying not gold bars but human cargo, Wyatt is plunged into a conflict between warring factions of a doomsday cult. The cult claims that it is their solemn duty to save the world by means of human sacrifice. Will Wyatt protect the boy who has come into his charge? Or will he be swayed by the cult's increasingly convincing claims that the end of the world is fast approaching?

11284673682?profile=RESIZE_710x11284677265?profile=RESIZE_710x11284683676?profile=RESIZE_710x11284688259?profile=RESIZE_710x11284688287?profile=RESIZE_710x11284688301?profile=RESIZE_710x11284697872?profile=RESIZE_710x11284697893?profile=RESIZE_710x11284708676?profile=RESIZE_710x

11208007253?profile=RESIZE_710x

SLEEPWALK AND OTHER STORIES TP (NEW PTG) 

STAR TREK: DEFIANT #4

• IDW Publishing

STAR TREK DS9: DOG OF WAR #3

• IDW Publishing

STRANGERS IN PARADISE VOL 1 TP

• Heads up, Terry Moore fans!

SUDDEN DEATH #1 

11208097096?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Alexander Banks-Jongman | Art/Cover: Robert Ahmad | Scout | $4.99

Hank Kelly cannot die. With this revelation, he is catapulted into a world of fame and fortune that he hopes will repair his broken family. But detective Rosalind Lovejoy works to unravel the dark mystery truly behind Hank's immortality.

SURVIVAL #2 (OF 5)

• Dark Horse Comics

THE SICKNESS #1

11208178454?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Jenna Cha, Lonnie Nadler | Art/Cover: Jenna Cha | $6.00

Feeling sick? The Man may be following you ...

1945: Daniel Buss, an anxious teenager living in small-town America, has been experiencing strange symptoms: mood swings, increased sensitivity and terrifying hallucinations, threatening to ruin his summer vacation before freshman year. Worse, a stalking presence watches Daniel's every move.

1955: George Brooks — war vet and tireless doctor — nears retirement from his decorated past. When a local housewife murders her entire family, her son — the sole survivor — is put into his care; George grows obsessed with uncovering what could drive an ordinary person to such brutality.  Though they live a decade apart, their fates intertwine through a horrifying illness and the haunting figure who follows wherever they go.

TEENAGE MUTANT NINJA TURTLES VS. STREET FIGHTER #1 (OF 5)

10971036493?profile=RESIZE_710x 11208283663?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Paul Allor | Art: Ariel Medel | Colors: Sarah Myer | Covers: Ariel Medel, Kevin Eastman, Vincenzo Federici | IDW-PRH | $3.99

Fans of no-holds-barred action, hard-edged fight choreography, and unspeakably brutal finishing moves rejoice as IDW announces an earth-shattering combat event between two of the most iconic teams in history. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles Vs. Street Fighter pits the Heroes in a Half Shell against the rogue fighters of Capcom’s legendary martial arts series in a competitive sparring tournament that explodes into a knockdown, drag-out brawl through the mean streets of Atlantic City. 

Arriving in Atlantic City to compete in a prestigious fighting tournament, the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles quickly run afoul of the world-famous Street Fighter™ crew ... and their legendary Psycho Powered fighting forms! Both eager to show off their moves and prove their mettle in combat, the two teams instantly clash, sparking a crackling rivalry that can only be resolved with fists and steel (and maybe a Hurricane Kick or two). With tensions already maxed, the pressure mounts even further as both teams find themselves embroiled in a wave of mysterious disappearances plaguing the city. Could the tournament’s mysterious benefactor be to blame?

“It feels amazing to bring these iconic brands together,” says Allor. “I grew up with all these characters, though in very different ways — watching TMNT cartoons on Saturday mornings, and then a few years later, desperately smashing buttons while being absolutely destroyed at Street Fighter™ II. Readers are going to have so much fun watching these characters come together as they face an enormous threat to both teams, from Mikey and Chun-Li’s unlikely bond to Raph and Guile’s rivalry and mutual — but very grudging — respect. This book has it all: humor; danger; a massive number of twists and turns; and a ton of amazing, brutal, over-the-top, bonkers fight scenes! It’s gonna be a blast.”

“My head hasn’t stopped exploding since they offered me the project,” says Medel, “not only because these characters have impacted me in so many ways personally since their debuts but also because they’re such household names! I watched the cartoons and the movies, I played the games, so it’s a very special thing in that sense, too. In my mind, this is the mother of all crossovers, and to get to draw both properties in the same comic is just incredible.”

“Whether you’re a diehard fan of both franchises or have an affinity for one or the other, this book is going to blow your mind,” says Charles Beacham, IDW senior editor. “Paul, Ariel and Sarah have crammed every ounce of fun into each page, and every fight will have fans biting their nails. But it doesn’t stop there. As the TMNT face off against Street Fighter legends to prove who’s truly the best at kicking butt, both teams will learn there’s something more nefarious afoot. We at IDW are incredibly stoked to partner with Capcom to bring two of the most popular fighting teams together in this massive matchup!”

• IDW Publishing

11208290862?profile=RESIZE_710x

10971037465?profile=RESIZE_710x10971037273?profile=RESIZE_710x

TRAVELING TO MARS #6 

TURNING JAPANESE EXPANDED EDITION HC 

11208563690?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: MariNaomi | Oni Press | Mature $29.99

The year is 1995. Fresh out of a long-term relationship, 22-year-old Mari Naomi finds herself amidst a flurry of major life changes. Newly immersed in the pan-Asian diaspora of San Jose, California, half-Japanese Mari searches for connections to a culture that has so far eluded her.

It doesn't take long for Mari to find new love and a new job — at a hostess bar for Japanese expats — in a bid to learn the language and culture. Turning Japanese follows Mari from Northern California to Tokyo, Japan, as she tries to get by in an unfamiliar city with rudimentary language skills — all in the hopes of finally connecting with her Japanese relatives without the use of her mother as a translator.

• It seems to me you could just go to the local university and take Japanese. Work as a hostess if you need to pay the bills, but honestly, you're going to learn what you need faster with targeted study in a language lab. But what do I know? I'm not Japanese.

YOUVE BEEN CANCELLED #1 (OF 4) 

11208627096?profile=RESIZE_710x11208678678?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Curt Pires | Art/Cover: Kevin Castaniero | Mad Cave |  $4.99

In the near future, cancel culture means more than just losing your job...it could mean your life. The world's premier entertainment event is CANCELLED — a live-streamed program where elite bounty hunters called cancellers kill individuals who society has voted to "cancel" following heinous actions or offenses. Our story follows Roland Endo, the world's #1 ranked Canceller. Because of this status, Roland lives in a constant state of paranoia with a target on his back.

• This must be British, because we spell it "Canceled" on this side of the pond.
  • Here's a preview.

MORE MANGA

AYASHIMON VOL 2 GN 

CASE STUDY OF VANITAS GN VOL9 GN

CHILLIN IN ANOTHER WORLD LEVEL 2 SUPER CHEAT POWERS VOL 6 GN

DO YOU LIKE BIG GIRLS? VOL 7 GN

DRAGON BALL SUPER VOL 18 GN

FREE LIFE FANTASY ONLINE IMMORTAL PRINCESS VOL 4 GN

FUTARI ESCAPE VOL 3 GN

GO GO POWER RANGERS DELUXE EDITION BOOK 2 HC

GRAND BLUE DREAMING VOL 19 GN

GRANDMASTER OF DEMONIC CULTIVATION VOL 2 GN

HELL MODE LIGHT NOVEL VOL 1 SC

I BELONG TO BADDEST GIRL AT SCHOOL GN VOL 7 GN

I'M KINDA CHUBBY AND I'M YOUR HERO VOL 2 GN

IMA KOI NOW I'M IN LOVE VOL 6 GN

IN CLEAR MOONLIT DUSK VOL 4 GN

INSTANT DEATH ABILITY IS SO OVERPOWERED VOL 1 GN

LOVESICK ELLIE VOL 10  GN

MARCH COMES IN LIKE A LION VOL 1 GN

MARGINAL OPERATION VOL 14 GN

MASHLE MAGIC & MUSCLES VOL 12

MY CLUELESS FIRST FRIEND VOL 2 GN

ORIENT VOL 15 GN

QUALITY ASSURANCE IN ANOTHER WORLD VOL 2 GN

RAINBOW DAYS VOL 4 GN

SAKAMOTO DAYS VOL 8 GN

SCARLET SOUL VOL 3 GN

SNOW WHITE WITH RED HAIR VOL 25 GN

STREET FIGHTER 6 #3 (OF 4) 

11150793088?profile=RESIZE_710x11150793655?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story/Art: Capcom and Hanzo Steinbach. | Covers: Long Vo, Hanzo Steinbach, 48 pages | $5.99

Deadly bombings are rocking the city, and it's up to Luke to find the source! Plus, Ken Masters must make a devastating choice as his son's life hangs in the balance!

TIGER TIGER VOL 1 GN

TWO OF THEM ARE PRETTY MUCH LIKE THIS VOL 3 GN

USOTOKI RHETORIC VOL 3 GN

WITCH'S THRONE VOL 2 GN

YAKUZA REINCARNATION VOL 6 GN

YOKAI CATS VOL 4 GN

YOU LIKE ME NOT MY DAUGHTER VOL 3 GN

YUUNA & HAUNTED HOT SPRINGS VOL 24 GN

MORE FOR KIDS

ARCHIE & FRIENDS HOT SUMMER ONE-SHOT

11204084289?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Adrian Ropp | Art/Cover: Bill & Ben Galvan | Archie | $3.99

A BRAND-NEW STORY kicks off this BLOCKBUSTER issue! In "Riverdale Jones and the Burger of Density," Hero burgerologist (it's a real job, trust us!) Riverdale Jones is deep in the heart of the rainforest to discover the most delicious, exotic burger recipe! Join our hungry hero Jughead, with his faithful pet Hot Dog by his side, in this fun, an adventure-filled riff on Indiana Jones just in time for the new movie!

• I assume Forsythe III is distantly related to Henry Jr.

ARCHIE MILESTONES JUMBO DIGEST #20: JUGHEAD SUPER HERO SPECIAL

11204135893?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Various | Cover: Dan Parent | Archie | $9.99

It's a burger-palooza in this newest installment of Archie Milestones Jumbo Comics Digest! Get ready to join a certain caped crusader on his mission to save innocent people from burger-less lives — wait what? That's right, get ready for fun and adventure with Jughead's superhero alter-ego, Captain Hero! 

EXTINCTS VOL 2: FLIGHT OF THE MAMMOTH GN

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #61

• IDW Publishing

SPONGEBOB COMICS VOL 1: SILLY SEA STORIES TP NEW PTG

SUEE AND THE STRANGE WHITE LIGHT GN 

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Is anyone going to actually count to see if that's 700 characters?"

Part of the reason I'm buying FF is for the Alex Ross covers, and this ain't it.

"[Loki's] finally living up to what a shapeshifting god of mischief who once gave birth to a horse ought to be."

I must have missed that issue. :P

• WRT that Fantastic Four cover: It's funny -- I *love* the similar Legion of Superheroes poster that Keith Giffen did back in the 80s, featuring every character who'd appeared in a Legion feature up till that point. It was full of character and fun, and had a similar scope. (Dr. Anj writes about this poster here, and the fact that Supergirl appears three times on it. There's a good scan of it that you can also blow up and enjoy on your screen.) 

With the FF... they're all standing there, basically facing front. So on first glance, it just doesn't have the energy of the Legion poster. That might be simply a logistical matter -- there are 700 characters, after all, more than Giffen had to deal with. But Koblish does put some fun poses among the portraits, and he certainly is digging deep to get a lot of these characters. I see Spinerette from the Byrne run, and Farouk from Englehart's run... and there's even the Byrne version of Aunt Petunia! (She's between Willie Lumpkin and the Beast.) I'm still looking for Karisma and Julie D'Angelo, but I've no doubt they're there. (Oh! I just found Karisma after all!)

So at first look, those FF covers seemed like a garbled mess to me. There's simply too much! But that's the point. Looking more closely, they're a lot of fun as a Where's Waldo exercise. 

• Here's a game you can play with a friend. Each of you pick a character, then "race" to see who can find him or her first. I have played this in the past with George Perez's Crisis on Infinite Earths poster. (My "go to" character is the Peter Parker of Earth Prime.)

• Over on the Comic Book Cover a Day thread I recently posted a cover from National Velvet:  a series based on a television show (and movie and book) about steeplechase.

11436218874?profile=RESIZE_710x

and Archie #377 (1990) has a story about some misadventures Archie has with a lacrosse stick, although the story’s title refers to it as a racket (“It’s a Wild, Wild Racket”).

FENCE REDEMPTION #1

11150713280?profile=RESIZE_710x11206775081?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: C.S. Pacat | Art/Cover: Johanna the Mad | Covers: Johanna, Pagowska, Valerio | BOOM! | $4.99

USA Today best-selling author C. S. Pacat (Dark Knights of Steel: Tales From the Three Kingdoms, Dark Rise) and acclaimed cartoonist Johanna the Mad (Wynd) continue their winning streak with the continuation of the on-point GLAAD Media Award-nominated series!

Return to the thrilling world of high-stakes, competitive fencing with a brand new story featuring the beloved cast of characters from the original hit series.

Are Senji and Jesse really through? The rumors around Halverton, the prestigious fencing training camp, have spread like wildfire, but it's not long before a mystery fencer arrives-one who may finally pose a threat to the #1 spot.

Will Senji's unquenchable quest for rivalry be what finally makes him leave Nicholas behind? 

• At last, someone's exploring the universal experience of expensive, elitist private school fencing. What has taken so long? Let's hope books about lacrosse and steeplechase aren't far behind!
  • 1.  Although I don't recall BATMAN FORTRESS being designated as an ELSEWORLDS story, it is for all practical purposes.  I would rate it as a "B" story, YMMV.

2, Wally was working out a way to avoid death in TITANS #1; probably, involving time travel via the COSIC TREADMILL IMHO.

Every week I appreciate the COMICS GUIDE.  Thanks!

Dave Palmer said:

Over on the Comic Book Cover a Day thread I recently posted a cover from National Velvet:  a series based on a television show (and movie and book) about steeplechase.

11436218874?profile=RESIZE_710x

and Archie #377 (1990) has a story about some misadventures Archie has with a lacrosse stick, although the story’s title refers to it as a racket (“It’s a Wild, Wild Racket”).

FENCE REDEMPTION #1

• Over on the Comic Book Cover a Day thread I recently posted a cover from National Velvet:  a series based on a television show (and movie and book) about steeplechase.

I was exposed to National Velvet extensively as a child. It was unavoidable. I have sisters.

In context of my sarcasm about elite sports though, I give this steeplechase comic book a pass, since it was based on a mass-market movie. When it comes to fencing, it is the rare public school that offered such a thing. (Actually none in my experience, but maybe somewhere.) Fencing competition is something that I learned about from movies about elite private schools, usually in Europe. And thanks to World War II movies involving Prussian officers, who were always fencing champions at Heidelberg and had dueling scars. Wednesday's Nevermore Academy is a fictional American private school that offered it, although that was presumably set in a parallel-world version of the United States, where vampires, werewolves, etc., are commonplace.

I live in Memphis, Tennessee, and even the private, upscale schools here don't offer fencing. (Or steeplechase. A couple have lacrosse.) And I've lived in Nashville, Florida and Texas, and never heard of any school offering fencing, at least while I was there. Hence my "universal experience" snark.

Although I don't recall BATMAN FORTRESS being designated as an ELSEWORLDS story, it is for all practical purposes.  I would rate it as a "B" story, YMMV.

Hrm. Not sure I want to waste shelf space on a less-than-stellar, non-continuity book. I'll probably pop for it, though, and sell it.

Wally was working out a way to avoid death in TITANS #1; probably, involving time travel via the COSIC TREADMILL IMHO.

Like anyone believes death in comics any more. I don't know why they bother to kill people.

Every week I appreciate the COMICS GUIDE.  Thanks!

Now, see, every time I think this guide takes up too much time, or that it doesn't serve anyone, or that I have better things to do, some gallant Legionnaire says something kind like this and I get motivated all over again. Thanks, Glenn!

This reply was deleted.