Did you just pick up a new title at the comic shop and want to let people know about it? Here's a thread to tout your new faves.

I picked up two new #1s this week. 

The first, Fairlady, was a book I'd been looking forward to for a while. Written by Brian Schirmer, with art by Claaudia Balboni and Marissa Louise, each issue is a done-in-one mystery set in a fantasy world. The creative team pitches it as "Magnum PI, set after the War of the Rings." It's an accomplished first issue, with Jenner Faulds being  a "Fairlady" -- a private investigator in this postwar fantasy world. I'm looking forward to more. Published by Image. You can read a preview of the first issue here.

The second book, Orphan Age, was one I'd never heard of before it caught my eye in the comics shop. Published by Aftershock, it's written by Ted Anderson, with appealing art from Nuno Plati. It's set 20 years after a mysterious event instantly killed all of the adults on the planet -- the result is a world that the kids made up for themselves out of what remained of the old world. I expected this to be like "Y the Last Man, but with kids," but the 20-year time jump makes it more like The Walking Dead without zombies. Small communities, new customs coming from the old ways, and some communities are more aggressive than others. I'm really looking forward to seeing where this goes. There are some preview pages here.

Anyone else read these? What did you think? And what indy debuts have you picked up that might be flying under our radar?

Views: 1185

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Also, I should add that there's a neat discussion with Terry Dodson on a recent Word Balloon episode.

A couple things:

For those of you who are interested in trying Far Sector but haven't yet given it a chance, the first issue is on sale in DC's "Space" sale on Comixology through midnight tonight. 99 cents is a great price, and the story sill likely intrigue you, and the art will absolutely dazzle.

Also: For fans of Texas noir, the new Image series That Texas Blood is remarkably sure-footed from newcomers Chris Condon and Jacob Phillips. (No surprise that the art's great: Phillips hasn't done an ongoing comic before, but he's Sean Phillips's son, and has been coloring his work on Criminal and other Brubaker/Phillips projects for a while now.) It follows a Texas county sheriff on his 70th birthday, as (among other things) he tries to track down a casserole dish for his wife. Bad things happen. 

I've never been to Texas, but I *love* Texas noir. Partially because the landscape is do bright and dry and open, it's such a contrast to the dark streets of New York and L.A. I'll be adding this to my pull list the next time I go to my local shop.

Debuting this week is Stillwater, from Chip Zdarsky and Ramon Perez, published by Image. It's a good setup to what looks to be a horror/mystery story about a mysterious, out of the way town with an unusual property. I honestly don't want to give away more right away, since I went into this one cold, and really enjoyed the experience. But the art and storytelling is top-notch, so give it a try if you're in the mood for something subtly creepy. 

And a book I missed a while ago: Firepower, by Robert Kirkman and Chris Samnee, is great! The first issue was intended to come out for Free Comic Book Day, along with a prelude graphic novel for $9.99. I picked them both up when my  shop re-opened, and loved them. The OGN is an engaging  story of kung-fu training -- not particularly innovative on its face, but really  well done. It sets the stage for what's to come...but the first issue is set about a fifteen years later, after the trainee has left the monastery and married and become a dad. Then, well... ninjas approach. Two more issues have been released since then, and there's good stuff in each one.

I have to say, I really like Robert Kirkman's character work, and the way he paces stories and sets up twists. Here, where he's not aiming for horror & shock, it shines through even more. And Chris Samnee has been an amazing storyteller for a long time, excelling at step-by-step action, all while giving  his characters an effortless charm. He really shines here. This is a terrific book. 

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service