Every week, one item or another in my pull and hold stands out for me above the rest in one way or another. Sometimes it’s a periodical, sometimes a graphic novel, sometimes a collection. Does that happen to you? If so, let’s hear about it here. It can be an item you’ve long anticipated or something you bought on a whim. If it’s something you were really looking forward to but ended up being a big disappointment, let’s hear about that here, too. I’ve been meaning to start this topic for a long time now, but chose today to post about something I’ve been waiting for a long time, long before it was even solicited.

SILVER SURFER EPIC COLLECTION BY STEVE ENGLEHART AND MARSHAL ROGERS

This is a favorite run of mine, but I’ve read it only twice: once as it was released, and I re-read it once after that. It came out as an “ESSENTIAL” a few years ago, but for this I held out for color.

EDIT: Most weeks I make my picks before I have read them, but feel free to choose either the books you anticipate most before you read or enjoy the most after you have read them.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• DEADWEIGHTS #1: I haven't read this one yet, but the first issue of a new series from AHOY! Comics will always get my "Pick of the Week" nod. After I have read it, I will weigh in on the review thread Cap started.

large-3329920.jpg?1705782324

• Wow! Three Tom King comics on the same day? How can I choose?

large-4170389.jpg?1713284360large-8222388.jpg?1712900974large-8013504.jpg?1713369773

• MY BAD v3 #1:

12498633679?profile=original

I don't know if you read what I posted to "Comics  Guide" this week (and it you didn't, you're probably not reading this, either), but I quoted from a letter written by Mark Russell to reatilers which reads (in part): "I am not contacting you because My Bad is a new series. We are about to embark on our third season. I am instead contacting you because it is a series I believe in, one which I think you will enjoy (if you do not already), and I hope you will recommend it to your customers.

"I truly believe that there is nothing on the stands quite like My Bad. It's an irreverent love letter to comics and so a title I think is ideally suited for the local comic shop, more so than the Barnes and Noble or online digital comic market. This is precisely how I hope people will experience My Bad for the first time, holding it in theor hands, standing in a shop where they've discovered every comic they've ever loved."

• Trade-waiting. Have the first two (in my pile).

• Good man. iXq5XRp.gif

• [A] DEATH IN THE FAMILY: ROBIN LIVES! #1:

large-6528336.jpg?1720623098

This one was at least intriguing enough for me to buy. However, it is a good fit neither stylistically not narratively with "A Death in the Family." The worst part, though, is that it is narrated by a new character who is left unrevealed until page 14, leaving the reader guessing for two thirds of the issue who it is, exactly, that is telling the story. OTOH, the story begins on the cover, with the Joker getting a bullet in the brain, so there's that. I think the less someone remembers about "A Death in the Family," the more he will enjoy "Robin Lives!"

• I wonder how this relates to the alternate "Batman #428" that was published a few months back. That one had Robin survive, but deviated very little from the main timeline otherwise.  It had a Feb 2024 cover date and is also from the "DC Vault" imprint.  It seems to have been literally the alternate story that would have been published back in the day if the poll results turned different.

• I wonder how this relates to the alternate "Batman #428" that was published a few months back. 

It differs quite a bit, actually, concentrating more on what might have happened after "A Death in the Family" rather than providing an alternate ending for it.

(A footnote indicates it carries on from Batman #428, actually.) 

• EPITAPHS FROM THE ABYSS #1:

large-1885503.jpg?1721872480

I haven't read this one yet, but I am encouraged by the fact that Oni Press is attempting a revival of EC Comics without reviving one of the actual titles. This tells me to expect originality. (This was a very good week, BTW; I bought six different comics from six different publishers.) 

This reply was deleted.