Amazon lists:

Showcase Presents Blue Beetle

February 2015

This value-priced title collects the entire 24-issue run of BLUE BEETLE from the 1980s, including the Beetle's battles against DC Universe villains Chronos and Dr. Alchemy. Includes appearances by The Question and the Teen Titans.

Showcase Presents Batman Vol. 6

February 2015

Collects BATMAN #229-244 and stories from DETECTIVE COMICS #408-426

In this new, value-priced collection of tales from the early 1970s, Batman returns his roots as the Dark Knight Detective, operating on his own in the shadows of Gotham City. With Robin away in college, Batman faces new foes and old including Two-Face, Man-Bat and Ra's al Ghul. This collection features stories by the renowned GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW team of writer Dennis O'Neil and artist Neal Adams, who brought a new sense of purpose to comics' greatest detective.

DC has listed many of its spring collections for 2015, and the only two Showcase Presents volumes are:

Showcase Presents: Blue Devil Vol. 1

Collecting Blue Devil #1-18 and Fury of Firestorm #24.

Showcase Presents: The Flash Vol. 5

The Fastest Man Alive is back in this new collection of tales from the 1960s. In this fifth volume, The Flash faces foes from his Rogues Gallery including Captain Cold, and faces difficulties include amnesia, his girlfriend, Iris Allen, being granted invulnerability, and much more. Collects THE FLASH #185-208.

Looks like DC is through with the Silver Age in this format.

Hoy

Views: 2106

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm 200 pages in out of about 600 and you are right that the stories get better. The art by Novick and Bob Brown is the best I've seen from them, and I suppose that's because of the beautiful Giordano inks. Getting through the turgid story introductions by Denny O'Neil can be tough, but the stories are entertaining enough and mostly complete in one issue, which I like. I'm surprised how few of the stories so far are set in Gotham City. Having Batman solving crimes in swamps and haunted castles and lighthouses seems contradictory to the character, but I like not having a "guest villain" every story. 

Hoy

I never followed up on this, but I agree with Dave, these stories get a lot better the more you get into the book. I finished it several weeks ago and found that if I went about 50 pages at a sitting, I enjoyed it more.

I liked Frank Robbins' art better than the stories he wrote, but was fine with both as long as I knew something better was coming along soon.

Batman gets hit on the back of the head a lot, about once per story. You'd think he'd put a metal plate in that hood after a while. 

The only Showcase Presents I have left to read is the SP Blue Beetle collection that's been collecting dust on my shelf for more than a year. I keep putting off reading it because that means I'll be done with SP, which makes me sad since there won't be any more. I've been doing the same thing with delaying reading the last Discworld novel.

Hoy

Hoy Murphy said:

There are two volumes of Strange Adventures (Schwartz-style SF) and one of Tales of the Unexpected (non-Schwartz-style SF). All are worth a quick read if you like late 1950s comic book science fiction, and I do. TOTU has some Jack Kirby artwork, and that makes it worth buying in my opinion.

I'm disappointed that there appear to be no more Showcase Presents after the Batman 6. There was a time when these were coming out twice a month and I was having a great time discovering these wonderful stories I had passed up as a kid because I was mostly a Marvel fan or because they were first published before I could read. Marvel seems to have abandoned any further mining of its remaining Silver Age titles as well, in any format.

Hoy

Dave Blanchard said:

I've only seen the first STRANGE ADVENTURES volume; were there others? I've also never seen the TALES OF THE UNEXPECTED volume, either.

I'm disappointed as well at the format seemingly being discontinued.  Essential Marvel was ended a few years back but it seemed like all the major series that got started in the Silver Age made it to the late 1970s with their volumes.  Showcase Presents came on like gangbusters in late 2005 and by the end of 2009 there were over 80 volumes, but then the number of releases per year slowed down considerably.  7 volumes in 2010 and 8 in 2011.  There were 12 in 2012 (10 of which were Vol. 1's), and then only a handful after that.  The shame of it is all of the uncollected material for titles like Flash, Superman, Action Comics, LSH, and JLA, just to name a few.

There's so much I still want to read, from both Archives and Showcase, stuff that has never been reprinted before. Like most of Golden Age Flash, Hawkman and Green Lantern. Like 1950s Wonder Woman. Like World's Finest Superman and Batman (not to mention back-ups) from the late 1940s to when the team-ups began. Like most of Blackhawk.

Phooey.

The single biggest glaring omission from the SP ranks is the lack of even one SP: SUPERBOY volume (no doubt due to legal wranglings). I've read just about every issue of every Weisinger title published during the Silver Age, with the exception being SUPERBOY and ADVENTURE. (True, every Legion story from the Silver Age has been reprinted, but not the new Superboy stories, or Bizarro stories for that matter.)

There was one Adventures of Superboy hardcover in 2010 that reprinted the earliest stories from More Fun and Adventure Comics. But I also want to see more. There are a handful of characters whose first appearances I've never read, and Lana Lang is one of them.

BTW, does anyone know what issue established that Professor Potter was Lana's uncle? And did it say whether he was related on her mother's or father's side? (Obviously he's not her father's brother, because he's not a Lang; but he could have been her father's half-brother, or brother-in-law. I'm an only child, but my wife's niece is also mine.)

Since "early 2015 is long since gone, maybe Hoy or a Mod should consider changing the thread title to just "Showcase Presents."

Good point. I went and did it.

The Smallville TV show, of all places, established that Lana's mother was a Potter, so even tho Prof. Potter never put in an appearance there (and Prof. Lang was replaced by two less interesting fathers), that would seem to make him a maternal uncle.  I have no idea where the show picked up that fact, but since it hinged on a character they seemed to have no interest in using, someone must have found a reference to that relationship somewhere, probably in one of the many, many never reprinted Superboy stories.

Bob Buethe said:

There was one Adventures of Superboy hardcover in 2010 that reprinted the earliest stories from More Fun and Adventure Comics. But I also want to see more. There are a handful of characters whose first appearances I've never read, and Lana Lang is one of them.

BTW, does anyone know what issue established that Professor Potter was Lana's uncle? And did it say whether he was related on her mother's or father's side? (Obviously he's not her father's brother, because he's not a Lang; but he could have been her father's half-brother, or brother-in-law. I'm an only child, but my wife's niece is also mine.)

I love the showcase books and own a good amount of them.

The prices on some of them on ebay is getting crazy.

The horror, war, and sci-fi editions are going for crazy bucks as well as Legion #4, Doom Patrol #1, and Batman #5..

I notice the same for Marvel Essentials earlier editions.

Yeah, I had to search for quite a while for ESSENTIAL WARLOCK before I finally found a shop still selling it at cover price. I've given up on ESSENTIAL BLACK PANTHER; I could buy the originals for less than some of these eBay clowns are asking for it!

I assume that the Marvel Essentials and DC Showcase books are printed according to predicted sales, like the comics. If the pre-orders are low it will cause a scarcity later when people belatedly decide to buy the books which are out of print. Supply and demand.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2019   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service