The Daredevils #1-11;
The Mighty World of Marvel #7-16;
Captain Britain #1-14.
New Mutants Annual #2
X-Men Annual #11
Captain America #305-306
The Knights of Pendragon #1-18
Captain Britain and MI13

Shortly after I discovered the work of Alan Moore I learned that he had written Captain Britain for Marvel UK and I immediately wanted to read those stories. In 1987, Chris Claremont and Alan Davis collaborated on Excalibur Special Edition and I again wanted to read those Moore/Davis Captain Britain stories. A year later, the popularity of the Excalibur ongoing series led to the release of a trade paperback collection of the last 17 installments of Captain Britain’s UK series. These stories were very good, and although they were drawn by Alan Davis, they had been written by Jamie Delano. I still wanted to read those Alan Moore stories! Finally, in 1995, Marvel released a Captain Britain mini-series (somewhat deceptively titled X-Men Archives: Captain Britain) which featured the stories immediately predating those contained in the tpb, drawn by Alan Davis and written by Dave Thorpe and… Alan Moore!

I was familiar with earlier appearances of Captain Britain in his original costume (from Marvel Team-Up #65-66 among others) as well as more recent appearances (such as New Mutants Annual #2, X-Men Annual #11 and Captain America #305-306), but I was interested in the significance of his sartorial shift. The first story in X-Men Archives: Captain Britain #1 cleared that up, but the stories began in medias res (or so I had perceived at the time), and I wanted to know what happened before that!

Flash forward nearly 15 years to 2009 and the recently concluded Marvelman/Miracleman discussion which got me interested in Captain Britain all over again! Marvel recently released a Captain Britain Omnibus, and judging by the costume the title character was wearing on the cover, I was about to have my curiosity slaked at last! So I culled some duplicated comic strip collections from my shelves and traded them in for the hefty volume, only to discover it contained only the Thorpe/Moore/Delano and Davis stories I already owned! But I also found out that all of the original stories I was interested have been collected in British editions.

So starting soon I will begin to cover Captain Britain’s entire UK run!

Views: 3231

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hey, Jeff.

Just noticed on Amazon UK that the 4th volume of the Panini Capt Britain seems to have been out (in the UK at least) since Nov 2009. The one reviewer seems to have had a good study of an actual copy, citing differences with the Amazon solicitation description. You should try the Amazon UK site, if you haven't already. It's listed as Instock, if that means anything.

I want to read the Captain Britain/Black Knight Otherworld story so much, it hurts! Maybe some fine day.
I finally got my copy of “The Siege of Camelot” in the mail yesterday! Before moving on to “Otherworld” though, perhaps a brief review is in order.

Volume 1: “The Birth of a Legend”: Reprints Captain Britain Weekly #1-23 (all the color issues). These stories aren’t so very British, having been written in America by American writers (Chris Claremont and Gary Friedrich) and penciled by an American artist (Herb Trimpe), but these are the seminal stories which Alan Moore, Alan Davis et al would drawn from in years to come. Issues #16-23 guest star Captain America and provide a sense of closure to the Red Skull’s previous appearance that Captain America #212 never had. In many ways, this story continues directly from Jack Kirby’s mid-70s run on Captain America.

Volume 2: “A Hero Reborn”: Volume two demonstrates a distinct dip in quality as the entire contents (taken from Captain Britain Weekly #24-39 and Super Spider-Man & Captain Britain #231-238) switch to black & white. Highlights include the conclusion of the Captain America/Red Skull story (#24-27) featuring gorgeous John Buscema artwork, and a detailed look at Captain Britain’s origin (#33-36). The rest of the issues reprinted in this volume are largely forgettable, but those alone make the volume worthwhile (at least to me).

Volume 3: “The Lion and the Spider”: This volume continues the trend of forgettable stories (from Super Spider-Man & Captain Britain Weekly #239-247), then reprints, in color, Captain Britain’s first appearance in American comic books (Marvel Team-Up #65-66). That story, by Chris Claremont and John Byrne, is distinctly better than those leading up to it, but has been reprinted elsewhere many times. What makes this volume indispensible is the first 29 (of 61) installments of the “Otherworld” saga which ran in Hulk Comic from #1-63.

Volume 4: “The Siege of Camelot”: Concludes the “Otherworld” saga and moves directly into the Dave Thorpe/Alan Davis/Alan Moore material, an excellent run of stories by any yardstick. Oddly, this volume also contains a Captain Britain/Captain America pin-up drawn by Jack Kirby which should have been included in volume one by rights.

I cannot understand why the stories reprinted in in these volumes are not available in America. At the very least, the “Otherworld” stories should be made available in a single edition. [The Captain America/Red Skull story (both black & white as well as color chapters) would be nice to own in a single edition, too.] It’s unfortunate these stories are not readily available to American readers, but (as they say), “I’ve got mine.”

NEXT: “Otherworld” in more detail.
I posted a pretty thorough plot summary of the first 29 chapters (from the first 30 issues of Hulk Comic) back on page three of this thread. I’m not certain what ran in the Black Knight features place in issue #31-41, but “The Siege of Camelot” picks up with issue #42 exactly where #30 left off. Because the next issue blurb of #30 touted “the full origin of Captain Britain next week,” I can only assume issues #31-41 contained reprints. I see now how Alan Moore’s story “A Rag, a Bone, A Hank of Hair” from The Daredevils #1 was his way of reconciling the three vastly different origin stories presented up to that point, not a fourth version to muddy the waters further.

Taken as a whole, this 50 chapter epic is more a Black Knight story than a Captain Britain one. Captain Britain is one of an ensemble cast on an heroic quest, and he is dispatched from Otherworld by King Arthur at the beginning of issue #60, so he’s not even there for the last four chapters! Despite the fact that some 18 months pass before Captain Britain is seen again, Dave Thorpe picks up Marvel Super-Heroes #377 exactly where Hulk Comic #60 left off and doesn’t miss a beat. There’s a lot of story packed in these three-page chapters, and taken all together it’s quite an enjoyable read. It’s too bad this story has never been collected for release in America.

Marvel UK's Captain Britain is going to be released in the United States at last!

Volume 1 will be a $40 376 page hardcover reprinting Captain Britain Weekly #1-39 and Super Spider-Man & Captain Britain #231-232. Solicited for May 25 release.

You lucky people.

Gentlemen, a truely quality discussion of some fascinating comics - thanks for the entertainment that has prompted me to join the merry band.!

Welcome, Richard. We're glad you're here.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

Highlights include the conclusion of the Captain America/Red Skull story (#24-27) featuring gorgeous John Buscema artwork

I had Captain Britain ##5-6 for a bit. The Captain Britain stories were backed by reprints of Fantastic Four #112 and the Nick Fury story from Strange Tales #161, both split between the issues. The second half of the Fantastic Four reprint had a new splash; my recollection is it was by Buscema. The don't remember the splash of the second part of the Fury story, but the cover was included with it, so I think it must have been used as the splash.

I like the Larry Lieber/Frank Giacoia covers.

On my last trip home, I dug out the X-men archives CB stories (Moore's). I should give them a read and report back.  

Thatcher having passed on in the meantime, I can't say how relevant her reign was to the Captain Britain stories Moore and Davis produced.

Wow... hard to believe it's been 7 years since the original discussion!  I was just re-reading this thread and noticed the debate about the first mention of Earth 616.  After going back through the trade, it looks like the first mention occurs in the "Rough Justice" chapter and not in the "Judgement Day" chapter as I had originally indicated.  However, a quick google search reveals Alan Davis' assertion that the 616 designation had been previously used by Dave Thorpe. 

I have a question if I lmay.
Was there any explanation given in his recent Secret Avengers appearances why Brian was shown back in his battle-suit look rather than the maskless union jack look of Cornell's MI 13 series? It annoyed me so much that continuity was being ignored!!?

Here I call myself Captain Comics, and was not aware until this discussion (nor had I wondered) where the Earth-616 designation came from. Marvel UK Captain Britain comics? I'd never have guessed.

Detective 445 said:

Wow... hard to believe it's been 7 years since the original discussion!  I was just re-reading this thread and noticed the debate about the first mention of Earth 616.  After going back through the trade, it looks like the first mention occurs in the "Rough Justice" chapter and not in the "Judgement Day" chapter as I had originally indicated.  However, a quick google search reveals Alan Davis' assertion that the 616 designation had been previously used by Dave Thorpe. 

Lotsa good stuff in these discussions, Cap!  Obviously you're pressed for time, but I'd love to see your input on some of the topics that come up.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service