The Mighty Thor #700 (SPOILERS)

"The Blood of the Norns" ("The Death of the Mighty Thor" Part 1)

Written by Jason Aaron, Art by A Whole Bunch of People

Plot:  The framing story is the Odinson (who apparently has lost an arm and acquired a talking dog) defending the Norns from an attack by forces of Malekith. During the attack, Karnilla spins other stories. It doesn't go well as the Norn Realm is destroyed, and Karnilla dies in Thor's arms, warning of death. Among the other stories...

The Jane Foster Thor battles the Jennifer Walters Hulk (Marvel sure has sucked all the fun out of this character for me) in the first all-woman Hulk-Thor battle.

In Asgardia, Volstagg grasps the Mjolnir of the Ultimate Universe to once again (Again?) become the War Thor, who takes off the invade Svartalfheim, only to find himself confronted by Mangog, who ain't happy.

In AD 796, Obnoxious Teenage Thor is a young punk who is not yet worthy of wielding Mjolnir.

In very distant future, the grand-daughters of King Thor cavort in the skies of New Midgard, while Thor visits with his human creations. Jane and Steve, and tells their children of how he defeated the Black Galactus, Butcher of Worlds.  Out in Space, said Black Galactus is devoured by Ego the Living Planet, who becomes the Necroworld, observed by Loki.  

In present-day Jotunheim, Loki and his father Laufey flee some mountain giants.

In Central Park, Simon Walterson, now Throg, the Frog of Thunder, brings a murderer to justice before racing to help the Jane Foster Thor.

Overall: A good anniversary story, with some intriguing story-lines, and some excellent art.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• After the events of Secret Empire, I'd just as soon the Odinson took a good long time becoming worthy again.

And I completely agree about She-Hulk. I think she was absolutely the wrong character to tell this story with.

• My main hope out of all this is that the Jane Foster Thor does NOT get killed in this story line.

• I can't think of a thing to add to your summary, Bob, and agree with all of it. 

Was anything new introduced here? I ask because I haven't been reading Thor for a few years, so I don't know if War Thor, one-armed Thor, Thori and Black Galactus are new or existing concepts.

Also, is the Karnilla story set in the future? Or has Odinson lost an arm lately? Future Odin-looking King Thor, depicted in some other stories, is one-armed, although I don't remember why.

Also, have we ever seen King Laufey before? Has he ever interacted with Loki before? What is their relationship? (I know Loki is Laufeyson, but do they like each other? Hang out? What?) Also, in the original Tales of Asgard by Lee & Kirby, Laufey was killed in battle with the Asgardians, and Loki (as a baby) was adopted on the spot. I don't know how this squares with that.

Agreed doubly and triply on new She-Hulk. What's her status quo this days? Is this it? How'd she get that way? How quickly can they change her back?

I knew of the Central Park Thunder Frog. When did he acquire the name Throg?

I knew about Thor's grand-daughters from some previous run of Thor. But I think Steve and Jane (ha!) are new. Are they?

Also, have they introduced Thrud yet? She's Thor's daughter in the Eddas, so if Magni and Modi show up, Thrud should too.

• To be honest, Skipper, this is the first Thor comic I've picked up in ages, drawn in only by my love of "milestone" issues, so I don't know the answer to most of your questions, myself.

The Karnilla story seems to be set in the present, as far as I could tell.

• Let me try to answer a few questions for you:

Captain Comics said:

Was anything new introduced here? I ask because I haven't been reading Thor for a few years, so I don't know if War Thor, one-armed Thor, Thori and Black Galactus are new or existing concepts.

War Thor is fairly new. Volstagg experienced some trauma where he attempted to protect a village under attack but everyone died. Ultimate Mjolnir came to him and he became the War Thor. I'm not a fan because it's Volstagg. I think Fandral would have been a better choice.

Odinson (fascistThor)lost his arm a while back before Jane Foster became Thor. I don't remember the details.

Kid Loki acquired Thori as a pet hellhound , but Thori was abandoned when Loki killed Kid Loki. He hooked up with fascistThor in the recent Unworthy Thor miniseries.

Black Galactus is new to me. Last I saw, Galactus had been changed to the Life Bringer and was creating planets.

Agreed doubly and triply on new She-Hulk. What's her status quo this days? Is this it? How'd she get that way? How quickly can they change her back?

I have not been following her current title so I don't know everything, but apparently she was nearly killed by Thanks during Civil War II. Because of this she now has PTSD, refuses to change voluntarily and loses control when she does change. I think it's an interesting story idea, but She-Hulk was the wrong character to tell it with.

I knew of the Central Park Thunder Frog. When did he acquire the name Throg?

I think the name happened during one of the Pet Avengers minis.
  • I think  Bruce Banner being killed (for the moment, at least) by Hawkeye may also have had something to do with Jennifer's breakdown.

Also,  "fascistThor"?

Yeah, Galactus became the "LifeBringer" in the latest Ultimates series.

• Odinson sided with Stevil in Secret Empire and unlike some others he was neither mind controlled or duped. That makes him a fascist in my eyes.

• Randy Jackson said:

Odinson sided with Stevil in Secret Empire and unlike some others he was neither mind controlled or duped. That makes him a fascist in my eyes.
    Ah. I resolutely avoided as much of that story-line as I could, and so was unaware of that fact.
  • A one-armed Thor from the future was featured in Jason Aaron's Thor: God of Thunder series -- which, as it happens, is the last Thor series I read. That story featured Thors from three eras battling Gorr the God Butcher.

Not crazy about him being one-armed in the present, though.

Say, when or where did adult Loki replace Kid Loki? I might want to read that one.

• I'm not 100% sure when the transition happened. A search suggests it either happened in the Loki:Agent of Asgard series or during the AXIS event.
This reply was deleted.