Over in the "TV Shows I Am Binging" thread, I noted that I got hooked on This Is Us, which led to a quick discussion over the show's merits and a pledge to talk about the latest episode. We threw out the idea of having that conversation in the "What Are You Watching Right Now?" thread, but I decided to start one dedicated to the show. Although I titled it "Season 4," I'm not going to limit my observations to that season alone,

So far, it's just been me and Jeff, but I welcome anyone else to join in -- especially Tracy! We've seen too little of you here in the Comics Cave!

Views: 1644

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

"Did he give it to her that day?"

Sure, Kevin gave the Valentine card to Sophie that day.

"If so, how did he get it back?"

The card reads "Will you be my Valentine?" with check boxes for "yes" and "no." So she checked the "yes" box and gave it back to him, of course.

"Are we to believe he carries it with him wherever he goes?"

Sure! 

"He must have had some plan to show it to her ..."

Not necessarily. There are sentimental items I always carry on my person that I never want or need to show anybody.

This doesn't rate as the 11th impossible thing for me.

How about improbable

I'm fine either way. Just don't call it "unrealistic." 

(You all know where I stand on "realistic".)

Technically, the word I used was "unbelievable". ;)

Also, if he's been carrying the card all these years, he would certainly have whipped it out when they were 20. 

I saw somebody elsewhere wondering how Kevin could still have the Valentine's card, given that he lost his wallet when he rescued somebody from a car crash while on that frantic race from Vancouver to Los Angeles when Madison went into labor.

I will squint my eyes and assume the wallet was found when the injured driver's car was removed from the crash scene and eventually made its way back to Kevin.

"And So It Goes"

Now I have two touchstones: Francine's wedding (Strangers in Paradise) and Miguel's funeral (This Is Us). 

This Is Us does a deep dive into Miguel's story, and since he's been part of the canvas for the whole six seasons, it worked better to cover the sweep of his life in one episode than the hamfisted effort at jamming the Kate and Phillip courtship into a single episode. Re Kate and Phillip, all we've seen of Phillip outside that one episode is him being rude, snide and condescending toward Kate, so we certainly needed more instances of him not being that way to make us believe he could (and wanted to) be a romantic match for her.

Speaking of Kate and Phillip's wedding, which takes place about five years into the future, one question on everybody's mind (at least, on all the social media I peruse), is: Where were Déjà, Tess and Annie?

I (and everyone else) figure the true reason is that Lyric Ross, Eris Baker and Faithe Herman are too young to play Déjà, Tess and Annie five years into the future,* and La Trice Harper, Iantha Richardson and Iyana Halley -- Future Déjà, Future Tess and Future Annie -- are too old to play them in that time frame. I get that, but the show dropped the ball in not providing an on-screen explanation for their absence, or some on-screen sleight-of-hand (body doubles shot from the back, some lines of dialogue) to indicate they were present.

It was really glaring that those three weren't in the family photo at the wedding, and that could have been handled by having the wedding photographer say something like, "Okay, let's set up the next shot. Girls, could you stand over here?"

* Maybe Lyric Ross could have played a five-years-older Déjà; she's that talented. I see lots of awards in her future.

"La Trice Harper, Iantha Richardson and Iyana Halley -- Future Déjà, Future Tess and Future Annie -- are too old to play them in that time frame."

I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this assessment given that this show's raison d'etre is aging and "youthening" characters. 

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"La Trice Harper, Iantha Richardson and Iyana Halley -- Future Déjà, Future Tess and Future Annie -- are too old to play them in that time frame."

I'm not sure I necessarily agree with this assessment given that this show's raison d'etre is aging and "youthening" characters. 

Well, those three are playing Déjà, Tess and Annie about 10-12 years into the future. Kate's wedding was about five years into the future, Miguel's death is about six months to a year after that, and the family gathering to say a final goodbye to Rebecca is about five years after that. 

In other words, in the present day, Déjà, Tess and Annie are about 17, 15 and 12 (give or take a year or two), so for five years in the future they would need actresses to credibly play them as 22, 20 and 17 (give or take a year or two). Future Déjà, Future Tess and Future Annie all seem older than that, but then, the show needed them to be about 27, 25 and 23 (give or take a year or two). Can those same three actresses play them as 22, 20, and 17? 

ClarkKent_DC said:

Well, those three are playing Déjà, Tess and Annie about 10-12 years into the future. Kate's wedding was about five years into the future, Miguel's death is about six months to a year after that, and the family gathering to say a final goodbye to Rebecca is about five years after that. 

I've just seen something that clarifies Miguel died about two years after the wedding. I don't think that changes when the farewell gathering for Rebecca takes place. 

Here's a helpful guide to actors in the This Is Us cast playing the different characters at the different ages, from Insider: "Every Major 'This is Us' Character and All the Actors Who Play Them at Different Ages"

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"BINGE BOOKS: Startup #2, Super Suckers #2 and Z-People #1 all shipped yesterday. I never did buy…"
53 minutes ago
Lee Houston, Junior replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Once again, war maybe hell, but it can also be weird! (Image courtesy of the Grand Comics…"
1 hour ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
2 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Two tryouts for a series that AFAIK never happened"
2 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to The Baron's discussion 'Are Newspapers Dying?' Thread
"The Poynter Institute, a think tank that focuses on journalism, takes note of the fact that several…"
4 hours ago
Philip Portelli replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"bbbbb"
5 hours ago
ClarkKent_DC replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"Bound & Gagged was initially about doing silent sight gags, of the type Sergio…"
8 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Star Trek: Discovery
"SPECIES TEN-C: As Discovery approaches the hypersphere, there is no response to any of the hails.…"
8 hours ago
Peter Wrexham replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Another character not often associated with Joe Kubert's work."
9 hours ago
The Baron replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"O Hai Munsters!"
9 hours ago
Fraser Sherman replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"Yeah, Rob Zombie is not the person I'd pick for that genre. Here Come the Munsters from the…"
9 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Emerkeith Davyjack's discussion All-purpose newspaper strips discussion
"ST. LOUIS POST-DISPATCH 1995 COMICS POLL & RESULTS: The ballot was identical to the one used in…"
9 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service