BASILISK #10

FIREFLY BLUE SUN RISING VOL 1 TPB

MAGIC THE GATHERING (MTG) #17

MIGHTY MORPHIN #22

ONCE & FUTURE #28

DARK HORSE COMICS

CYBERPUNK 2077 BLACKOUT #3

FRANKENSTEIN: NEW WORLD #1 (OF 4)

Story: Mike Mignola, Tom Sniegoski, Christopher Golden  Art/Cover: Peter Bergting  | $3.99

Frankenstein: New World features the return of Mignola’s take on the Frankenstein monster with the first story to be set chronologically after the conclusion of B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know, which had concluded the epic story of Hellboy and the B.P.R.D. Mignola will illustrate a variant cover for issue #1, colored by award-winning colorist Dave Stewart.

“At the end of B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know, when we burned down the world and then started it again with frog people, I really did think that would be all we’d see of it,” said Mignola. “And in that same issue, that little glimpse of the Frankenstein monster in the center of the earth, that’s the last I thought we’d see of him. But …when Chris and Tom came to me with the idea of having Frankenstein’s adventures in Frog World, I think it took me about 10 seconds to say YES. And then two minutes later I think we were on the phone talking about all the possibilities. I just don’t seem to be able to put a lid on this thing — which I guess is a good thing.”

Safely tucked away inside the hollow earth where humanity survived after Ragna Rok, precocious young Lilja receives visions of a new darkness taking root on the surface. Defying her elders, Lilja awakens the timeless oracle –– once known as Frankenstein –– to investigate the warnings and, perhaps, even explore the new world above.

“I’ve always had a thing for Frankenstein’s monster,” said Thomas Sniegoski. “I loved the idea of using him as a recurring character in his own adventures, so when Mike added him to the Hellboy universe, I was ecstatic. The stories that we got with the character were cool, but I most definitely wanted more. The last we saw of him was at the end of B.P.R.D. when he was leading some survivors of the apocalypse to the center of the earth. I always wondered if we would see him again — and now, I guess we are! Working with Chris, Mike, and the amazing Peter Bergting has been an absolute blast. This is the kind of weird-ass Frankenstein story that I’ve always wanted to read, and now I get to help write it!”

Frankenstein: New World actually started with artist Ben Stenbeck, though he doesn’t know it,” said Golden. “Ben had drawn a group shot of a number of Hellboy universe characters (plus Lord Baltimore) together and included Frankenstein holding a staff that had the sword of Hyperborea atop it. Thomas Sniegoski and I were on the phone the next day talking about it, and Tom said something about what a shame it was that the Frankenstein character was lying fallow. As so often happens, a casual comment turned into something more. I said, off-hand, that since the last time we’d seen him he was leading the last of humanity down beneath the surface of the world, we should do a series about Frankenstein returning to the surface world after 2,000 years in the hollow earth (after the events of B.P.R.D.: The Devil You Know) and wandering a New World that has no memory of humanity. The second it came out of my mouth, I knew we had to do it. One of Tom’s favorite comics of all time is DC’s Kamandi, and I knew his imagination was already firing like crazy. About five minutes later, we told the idea to Mike Mignola, and he said yes faster than he’s said yes to anything we’ve ever suggested to him. Frankenstein: New World is the weirdest comic either of us has ever done, quiet and creepy and — we hope — a nice balance of dread and wonder. Peter Bergting is doing maybe the most beautiful work of his career thus far, unburdened by pesky things like architecture. This is Peter’s natural element, right here.”

• To be honest, I forgot that B.P.R.D. ended with humanity essentially losing, and being driven underground by giant frog monsters. I kinda lost interest once Hellboy died, and Abe Sapien became the lead. Because, sadly, Abe Sapien is boring.
  •  Maybe the Frankenstein monster can get me interested in this world again.

MIND MGMT: BOOTLEG #2 (OF 4)

SURVIVAL STREET #1 (OF 4)

Story: James Asmus, Jim Festante | Art/Cover: Abylay Kussainov  | 14 and up | $3.99

A candy coating of pop culture madness, humor and cartoonishly absurd hyper-violence is heading to comic shops soon with Survival Street from Dark Horse Comics! Dashed with just enough hope to keep you holding on, Survival Street is an action satire written by five-time Harvey Award nominee James Asmus (Ricky & Morty: Corporate Assets) and Jim Festante (Rick & Morty Presents Mr. Meeseeks, The End Times of Bram & Ben), drawn and inked by Abylay Kussainov (Brothers), colored by Ellie Wright (We Only Kill Each Other, The Black Ghost), and lettered by Taylor Esposito (No One Left To Fight).

After an unbridled wave of corporations take over America the country is left completely deregulated. It is effectively carved up into feudal states where billionaires and businesses make their own laws. Among the wreckage, mass privatization shuts down public broadcasting, forcing all the beloved edu-tainers out on the dirty streets. A group of them sticks together, determined to keep helping kids across the country — and to do it by becoming an A-Team-esque band of mercenaries fighting for (and educating!) kids in the crumbling, corporate war zone of New Best America.

"SURVIVAL STREET originated as our personal pandemic passion project,” James Asmus said, “but once Jim and I connected with Abylay, he brought it thundering to life as the ultimate world and story to process so much of our anxieties, frustration, future shock, and gallows humor. And as a huge fan of Dark Horse's original series since the early days of Hellboy, Sin City, Madman and The Mask — I'm thrilled and grateful they've been so supportive of this wild and surprisingly personal series." 

Brought to you by the letters F, U, K and D!

• Is nothing sacred?!??

DC COMICS

AQUAMAN: ANDROMEDA #2 (OF 3)

BATMAN #126

BATMAN BEYOND: NEO-YEAR #5 (OF 6)

BATMAN: EARTH-ONE COMPLETE COLLECTION

BATMAN: KILLING TIME #5 (OF 6)

BATMAN: WHITE KNIGHT PRESENTS RED HOOD #1 (OF 2)

Story Sean Murphy, Clay Mccormack | Art: Simone Di Meo | Colors: Dave Stewart | Covers: Sean Murphy, Olivier Coipel, Simone Di Meo | 32 pages | $4.99

The world of Batman: White Knight continues to expand in the exciting new miniseries, Batman: White Knight Presents: Red Hood! With things heating up in Neo-Gotham, Jason Todd revisits his post-Robin past to find the one ally he believes will help him turn the tide in the battle against Derek Powers. The first of two issues, co-written by Sean Murphy and Clay McCormack (Bloody Hel) with art by Simone Di Meo (Future State: Harley Quinn) and colors by Dave Stewart (Batman), will be available at local comic shops on July 26.

“People have been asking me for years about Jason Todd in the White Knight universe,” said Sean Murphy. “We are trying to reinvent Jason into the Beyond timeline, while also honoring what made him so compelling for readers in the first place. In Batman: White Knight Presents: Red Hood, there's definitely a grudge between Jason and Grayson and Batman's two oldest sons will have to find ways to put their differences behind them in order to save Bruce."

"It's a thrill for me to help shape the White Knight universe alongside two masters like Sean and Simone,” said Clay McCormack. “Jason's road is very rough, no matter the universe, and we definitely put him through the ringer here. He's a hot head with a Batman-sized chip on his shoulder, so giving him an apprentice who has a much sunnier outlook on Batman creates a frustrating contrast for Jason, and plenty of fun for the reader."

“Bruce Wayne is Batman.” Four words that saved Jason’s life and destroyed his future forever. Banished by his mentor and damaged by The Joker, the former Robin is left to become something different, something stronger, a relentless force for justice in the city…Red Hood! With nobody to answer to, he walks the dangerous line between hero and villain. That is until he meets Gan, a local girl from East Backport who needs his help to save her neighborhood from a super-criminal terrorizing its citizens. And she’s willing to fight alongside him, whatever it takes!

“Working with Sean and Clay is really inspiring, and working with two professionals like them can only help to improve my work,” said Simone Di Meo. “Creating a new Robin is something really exciting to work on, the emotionality of making choices and the relationship with Jason.  I can't wait for fans to be able to see it.”

• I'm about two books behind on this series. That demonstrates my waning level of interest. I know I'm an outlier on that score.

BLACK ADAM JUSTICE FILES: CYCLONE #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Cavan Scott, Bryan Q. Miller | Art: Maria Laura Sanapo, Marco Santucci | Cover: Kaare Andrews | $5.99

When she was young, Maxine Hunkel dreamed of flying with the Justice Society. Now she finally has the powers and the opportunity … but will she say yes? Guest starring Hawkman on the road to Black Adam! Plus, continuing the Teth-Adam backup story: trouble hits home for Adrianna Tomaz as Intergang mercenaries invade the hallowed halls of her university, on the hunt for the sacred totem she liberated — but what strange metal is the idol made from, and why does Intergang need it so badly?

• Ever since the cast of Black Adam was announced, I thought Cyclone was an odd character for inclusion. I wondered if maybe a lot of characters might have been off limits to avoid confusion with other appearances. So I looked up live-action Justice Society character appearances, and wow, there were a lot more than I thought.

BLACK MANTA TPB

DARK CRISIS #3 (OF 7)

DC VS. VAMPIRES #8 (OF 12)

FLASHPOINT BEYOND #4 (OF 6)

HARLEY QUINN #18

ICON & ROCKET SEASON ONE HC

MULTIVERSITY: TEEN JUSTICE #3 (OF 6)

NEW CHAMPION OF SHAZAM #1 (OF 4)

Story: Josie Campbell | Art/Cover: Evan Doc Shaner | $3.99

Mary Bromfield has always struggled to determine who she is outside her family … kinda hard to do when you’re all superheroes! Now, after Billy Batson’s heroic sacrifice, the power of Shazam has vanished, and she’s been left powerless. Most heroes would be distraught, but not Mary. It’s finally time for a voyage of self-discovery as she prepares for her freshman year of college and a civilian life. But nothing is ever truly normal for this young hero, because she’s just been chosen as the new champion of Shazam! (At least according to a talking rabbit sent by her estranged brother Billy.) Will she embrace the power? Or will it die along with this world’s hope of survival against the mysterious magical forces waiting to take control? Find out in Mary’s first solo miniseries, brought to you by up-and-coming comics writer Josie Campbell (Future State: Green Lantern) and fan-favorite Shazam artist Evan Doc Shaner (Strange Adventures, Convergence: Shazam!)!

• People smarter than me decided that the way to fix Captain Marvel was to re-name him Shazam, so that instead of being confused with a Marvel hero, he'd be confused with his own creator. Worse, it gave him Freddy's goofy problem of not being able to say his own name. And finally, having witless teenager Billy Batson take the name of an ancient and wise power, instead of being the avatar of an ancient and wise power that guides him, kinda lost the plot for me. (I'd have re-named him "Captain Thunder" and changed nothing else, to keep what makes him unique.)
  • But, OK. Mary as the avatar works for me, as long as they don't start calling her Shazam or sexing her up. It's about time she came into her own. And I don't know what Billy's "heroic sacrifice" was — because I stopped reading when they renamed him Shazam — but he can stay gone, for all I care.
  • Unless he comes back as Captain Thunder.

PENNYWORTH TPB

POISON IVY #3

SUPERMAN VS. LOBO HC

SWORD OF AZRAEL #1 (OF 6)

Story: Dan Watters | Art/Cover: Nikola Cizmesija | $3.99

THE WARRIOR ANGEL OF ST. DUMAS RETURNS! Jean-Paul Valley does not want to be Azrael ever again. All it has brought him is pain, violence, and misery. He has sequestered himself away at a monastery in Europe to find peace. But when a young woman who claims to have the same System programming that made Jean-Paul into Azrael arrives at the monastery, he won’t have a choice but to don his violent mantle of Azrael once more to protect her from the deadly assassins who wish her harm. From the rising star creative team of Dan Watters (Arkham City: The Order of the World, Lucifer) and Nikola Cižmešija (Batman: Urban Legends, Future State: Gotham) this miniseries will redefine one of the Batman world’s most iconic and fierce characters.

• Why isn't this character consigned to the dustbin of comics history yet? Oh yeah, Captain Comics Rule No. 11: "No idea is so terrible it can't be used again."

SWORD OF AZRAEL DARK KNIGHT OF THE SOUL #1 ONE SHOT

Story: Dan Watters |Art: Nikola Cizmesija | Cover: Juni Ba | $4.99

THE ANGEL OF ST. DUMAS’S FAITH IS CHALLENGED! This issue collects the critically acclaimed three-part story that ran in the pages of Batman: Urban Legends ahead of the August debut of the new Sword of Azrael miniseries. Azrael has returned to Gotham City after a long time away, unsure of his purpose and having his faith constantly challenged by demonic developments in the city. The arrival of the new antagonist the Poor Fellow will change Azrael’s future forever. Reprints the Azrael stories from Batman: Urban Legends #8-10 that lead into Sword of Azrael #1!

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

007 #1

Story: Phillip Kennedy Johnson | Art: Marco Finnegan | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99 | Covers: Tommy Lee Edwards, Marc Aspinall, Marc Laming, Soo Lee

DYNAMITE WELCOMES PHILLIP KENNEDY JOHNSON TO THE WORLD OF 007!

JAMES BOND MUST AVENGE THE DEATH OF HIS MENTOR!

OO7 is back in action! After a high-stakes rescue mission is mysteriously, violently sabotaged, James Bond's future at MI6 hangs in the balance. As he awaits his fate, Bond is urgently contacted by an old flame and mentor: Gwendolyn Gann, formerly Agent OO3, who warns Bond of an existential threat to England and the global balance of power. But before they can meet, OO3 turns up dead, sending Bond on the most personal mission of his career: find Gwendolyn Gann's killers, and expose the shadowy organization known only as "Myrmidon.”

• Hey, Bond's been gone a while, hasn't he? I wonder what the IRL explanation for that is.

PROJECT SUPERPOWERS: FRACTURED STATES #5

RED SONJA: RED SITHA #4

IDW PUBLISHING

BEND OF LUCK TPB

GI JOE A REAL AMERICAN HERO #296

GODZILLA RIVALS: VS BATTRA ONE-SHOT

Story: Rosie Knight | Art/Cover: Oliver Ono | $7.99

In a quiet beachside town ravaged by constant sewage spillages and toxic waste dumps, something is stirring. Deep under the rolling hills that surround Hackney-on-Sea, Battra is awakening, driven by a single goal: to destroy mankind and save planet Earth. The only one who can stop him is Godzilla, but he hasn't been seen in decades and has never ventured to the cold shores of the English coast ... until now. Robbie runs a small bookshop, but her real passion is monsters. She's spent years researching the myth of Godzilla and his fearsome foes, and now that hypothetical experience is about to become a life-saving tool. Can Robbie locate Godzilla? Will Godzilla alone be enough to defeat Battra? Is Battra really wrong? And will the goddess Mothra make an appearance?

• My bet goes on the big green guy. Again. Still. Always.

TRANSFORMERS: BEST RARITIES

IMAGE COMICS

20XX TRANSPORT ONE-SHOT

Story/Art: Jonathan Luna | $3.99

20XX: Transport debuted on Jonathan Luna’s (Alex + Ada, Eternal Empire) social media, where his audience had the ability to vote and change the course of the story. Now this exciting one-shot sci-fi tale is slated to land on shelves from Image Comics this August for all to enjoy.

Out of the futuristic-yet-grounded world of 20XX, springs the story of a teenage boy with illegal telekinetic abilities who tries to save his classmates on a school bus from a group of hijackers. Presented in full color!

20XX: Transport was such a fun project. Having played video games where you have to make difficult decisions that affect the story, I wondered what it might be like if I presented similar choices to my comic-book readers," said Luna. "This one-shot will display said choices and which ones received the most votes. It was also a blast re-entering the world of 20XX and showing a different side of it. I’m excited that Image is publishing Transport, giving this short story a wider audience!”

• This is from a video game, so I know nothing about it.

ANT #4

CLOSET #3

THE DEAD LUCKY #1

Story: Melissa Flores | Art: French Carlomagno | Colors: Mattia Iacono | Covers: French Carlomagno, Federico Sabbatini & Mafuriah, Eleonora Carlini, Tom Whalen, David Lafuente & Miquel Muerto | $3.99

Debut writer Melissa Flores (Power Rangers) unites with superstar artist French Carlomagno (Power Rangers) and colorist Mattia Iacono (Radiant Black) for an all-new Massive-Verse comic.

“The opportunity to introduce Bibiana and The Dead Lucky to the Massive-verse with such fantastic collaborators as French, Mattia, Becca and the Massive-Verse team, is an honor that can’t be understated," said Flores in an exclusive on the announcement with io9. "When we meet Bibi, she lives between worlds, culturally, physically and mentally. Stricken with survivor’s guilt, she’s untethered; lonely and lost in her past, drifting without purpose. I can’t wait for the world to experience her superhero journey.”

In The Dead Lucky, San Francisco is changing. Tech consortium Morrow is building the city of the future with “peacekeeper” robots looming on every corner — and wherever Morrow isn’t, the Salvation gang is.

Kyle Higgins, who co-created the now-Eisner-Award-nominated series Radiant Black with Marcelo Costa, added: “One of the best things to come out of my time on Power Rangers was getting to work with Melissa, who continues to impress me as a storyteller and a natural world builder. When she pitched me The Dead Lucky it was a no-brainer. What she, French, Mattia and Becca have put together is a fascinating look at technology, grief and our need to connect ... plus some killer superhero action, of course. I can’t wait for people to explore the next corner of The Massive Verse!”

Bibiana Lopez-Yang is changing too. She came back from Afghanistan with PTSD and the ability to control electrical currents. If she can hold it together, she might be the hero San Francisco needs. But against an enemy this big, it isn’t enough to be good. She’ll have to be lucky.

"It was exciting to be able to bring Melissa's characters to life. Readers will quickly realize how complex Bibi is and I'm sure they will love her," said Carlomagno. "Having the opportunity to be co-creator of this series gave me the chance to do exactly the pages I had in mind with complete freedom and that's why it was also great working with Mattia, with whom a fantastic chemistry was immediately born that made the pages even more alive!”

GOLDEN RAGE #1 (OF 5)

Story: Chrissy Williams | Art: Lauren Knight | Colors: Sofie Dodgson | Letters: Becca Carey | Editor: Joamette Gil | Covers: Lauren Knight, Tula Lotay | $3.99

This five-issue miniseries pairs the survival combat of Battle Royale with the character dynamics of The Golden Girls and will launch from Image Comics this August.

“Old women are formidable — I wrote Golden Rage to reflect that," said Williams. "These characters are tough, capable, kind and funny. I’ve fallen in love with the combination of cake and stabbing weapons, and hope you will too.”

In a world where older women who’ve been deemed useless to society are abandoned on an island, Golden Rage documents their golden years of making friends, baking dessert and fighting to the death for survival.

Knight added: "My brand is Angry Women and Golden Rage let me play around with characters we don't get to see enough of in media. Read this if you're looking for great examples on how to age disgracefully and for granny-on-granny violence with a gratuitous side helping of heart."

Early praise for Golden Rage:

Battle Royale meets The Golden Girls with dashes of Agatha Christie and Logan’s Run. I’m all the way in!” — Kelly Sue DeConnick

Golden Rage’s not-so-farfetched dystopian island of castaway old ladies will [make you] question your attitude toward the aging women of this world. A very important subject of self-reflection indeed.” — Elsa Charretier

• Hey! My grandmothers were very nice!

ICE CREAM MAN SUNDAE EDITION VOL 1 HC

KILLADELPHIA #24

LITTLE MONSTERS #6

METAL SOCIETY #4

MIRKA ANDOLFO'S SWEET PAPRIKA #11

SCUMBAG #14

SPAWN #332

STILLWATER BY ZDARSKY & PEREZ #14

THAT TEXAS BLOOD #16

TIME BEFORE TIME #15

TWIG #4 (OF 5)

THE WALKING DEAD DLX #44

MARVEL COMICS

AVENGERS EPIC COLLECTION: KANG WAR TPB

CAPTAIN AMERICA: HEROES RETURN COMPLETE COLLECTION VOL 2 TPB

DEMON WARS: THE IRON SAMURAI #1

Story: Peach Momoko & Zack Davisson | Art/Covers: Peach Momoko | Teen+ | $4.99

The next evolution of Peach Momoko’s bold vision of Marvel Universe arrives this July in DEMON WARS: THE IRON SAMURAI! Written and drawn by Momoko, this four-issue limited series will serve as a sequel to the highly-acclaimed DEMON DAYS saga, taking readers on another breathtaking journey into the imagination of one of the industry’s most inventive talents! Momoko will once again blend the characters and stories of Marvel Comics with traditional Japanese folklore. And get ready to choose a side because this time, Momoko will reimagine the iconic Marvel event, CIVIL WAR, complete with new versions and incredible designs for heroes such as Iron Man, Captain America, Black Panther, and more!

Peach Momoko returns with another saga filled with wondrous creatures: sentient samurai armor, a winged individual in a falcon mask, a mysterious panther person and a red, snakelike monster with a deadly appetite. When Mariko Yashida finds herself in the middle of a war between these creatures, will she be forced to choose a side?

“I am very happy to expand the series and get to show more of the love that I have for Japanese folklore and the way it inspires me with new stories told through my Momoko-verse lens,” Momoko said. “I am also very excited to redesign even more characters because I love character designing! It is a honor to tell my version of the classic Marvel Comics event, Civil War. My story and characters are already so different from the main Marvel Universe designs and this series will give fans a chance to see even more fun layers and different takes on Marvel storytelling.”

• I mildly enjoyed the first run of this concept, but I've had my fill. YMMV.

EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #1

Story: Dan Slott, Alex Segura, Karla Pacheco, Dustin Weaver & D.J. Bryant | Art: Martin Coccolo, Caio Majado, Pere Perez, Dustin Weaver & D.J. Bryant | Covers: Josemaria Casanovas, Leinil Francis Yu, Humberto Ramos, Skottie Young, Bengal | Teen+ | $4.99

The future of the Spider-Verse is here! Beginning on August 3, fans will see the SPIDER-VERSE expand like never before in EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE, a new limited series that will introduce brand-new Spider-Heroes and check in with iconic favorites such as Araña and Spider-Man Noir. The series will contain a range of stories from longtime Spidey creators and rising stars, each with bold additions to the Spider-Man mythos. Amidst these thrilling debuts and fresh status quos, Spider-Man visionary Dan Slott will be laying the groundwork for an all-new epic launching later this year that will mark the end of the Spider-Verse as fans know it.

Here's what fans can expect from the first leg of this incredible journey in EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #1:

• Alex Segura and Caio Majado launch a new status quo for Araña, complete with a stunning new costume design by Humberto Ramos!
  • Dan Slott and Martin Coccolo introduce Spider-Laird, a new Spider-Hero from the Scottish Highlands of the 18th Century!
  • Karla Pacheco and Pere Perez web-sling back to prehistoric times with the roaring debut of SPIDER-REX!
  • Dustin Weaver and D.J. Bryant tell a haunting tale of SPIDER-NOIR that will take your breath away!

“Marvel has decided to do the unthinkable, go big, and bring the saga of the comic book Spider-Verse to a fiery conclusion,” Slott shared with Polygon. “Yes, that’s right. Later this year we shall all bear witness to THE END OF THE SPIDER-VERSE!”

• I assume Devil Dinosaur will have something to say about another red T-Rex on his turf.

FANTASTIC FOUR VOL 10: RECKONING WAR PART I TPB

GENERATION X EPIC COLLECTION VOL 1: EMPLATES REVENGE TPB

GHOST RIDER #5

IMMORTAL X-MEN #5

IRON MAN #22

LEGION OF X #4

MARVEL TPB

MECH STRIKE: MONSTER HUNTERS #2 (OF 5)

MIGHTY MMW X-MEN VOL 2: WHERE WALKS THE JUGGERNAUT TPB

MOON KNIGHT #14

BEYOND AMAZING VARIANT COVERS

To honor Spider-Man’s 60th anniversary, some of the industry’s greatest artists have banded together on one incredible variant cover program! Beginning this August, BEYOND AMAZING variant covers will adorn the covers of Marvel’s hottest ongoing titles with gorgeous artwork celebrating all aspects of Spider-Man’s beloved mythos! From key moments in Spider-Man publishing history to Spider-Man’s forays into other media, these 20 show-stopping covers showcase a wide range of Spidey inspiration and prove why the hero’s impact on pop culture is simply unmatched!

Since Peter Parker's debut in 1962’s Amazing Fantasy #15, the world's favorite wall-crawler has inspired millions of Marvel fans through his iconic adventures and stories. Be a part of Spider-Man's 60th anniversary celebrations all year long with your favorite Marvel comics, games, shows, collectibles, fashion and more! Check out all 20 BEYOND AMAZING variant covers now:

• MOON KNIGHT #14 by OZGUR YILDIRIM
  • AVENGERS #59 by MARK BAGLEY
  • CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH #4 by LEO CASTELLANI
  • MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #41 by JAVIER RODRIGUEZ
  • WOLVERINE #24 by TIM LEVINS
  • X-MEN #14 by JOHN ROMITA JR.
  • AVENGERS FOREVER #9 by CHASE CONLEY
  • FANTASTIC FOUR #47 by JOHN TYLER CHRISTOPHER
  • HULK #10 by EJ SU
  • NEW FANTASTIC FOUR #4 by PAOLO RIVERA
  • X-MEN RED #6 by DAVID NAKAYAMA
  • ANT-MAN #3 by PEACH MOMOKO
  • CAPTAIN MARVEL #43 by DAVE JOHNSON
  • IMMORTAL X-MEN #6 by CAFU
  • IRON MAN #23 by FRANCIS MANAPUL
  • AVENGERS #60 by NURI DURR
  • AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #10 by MARCOS MARTIN
  • STRANGE #6 by JORGE FORNÉS
  • THOR #28 by GREG SMALLWOOD
  • GHOST RIDER #7 by KAARE ANDREWS

NEW FANTASTIC FOUR #3

SPIDER-MAN 2099: EXODUS #5

SPIDER-PUNK #4 (OF 5)

STAR WARS: HALCYON LEGACY #5 (OF 5)

STRANGE ACADEMY: WISH-CRAFT TPB

TALES OF SUSPENSE #57 FACSIMILE EDITION

• First appearance of Hawkeye, as if you didn't know.

WOLVERINE: TOOTH AND CLAW TPB

X-MEN '92: HOUSE OF XCII #3 (OF 5)

X-MEN RED #5

MORE COMICS

AGGRETSUKO: OUT TO LUNCH #1

• Evidently, this is a huge franchise across multiple media.

AMERICAN MYTHOLOGY: MONSTERS VOL 3 #1

Story: Glenn Moane, S.A. Check, Konstantine Paradias | Art: Ev Cantada, Horacio Domingues, Jorge Pacheco | Cover: Neil Vokes | American Mythology | $3.99

It's baaaaaack!   The mature readers horror series that redefines classic monsters and legends for today's sophisticated horror audience.  Three brand new creatures are reborn in these blood drenched pages with the help of some terrifyingly talented creators! In "Mother Sleepless" a strange cult promises to return dead children to those willing to pay the ultimate price.  And beware the devil's doppelganger in a new twisted tale called "The Heartbreak".  The last stop is murder town when you are a passenger on the bloody tracks of "Hell On Board".  Three new terrifying tales that will delight the maniac within!  Join for another installment of American Mythology Monsters!  This issue comes with three covers - Main by legendary comic artist Neil Vokes, Racy variant by the Corpse Crew team of Buz Hasson and Ken Haeser, and a special Century Edition limited to just 100 copies! 

• More monsters! Can't have too many.

BALLAD OF RONAN #3 (OF 6)

CASSIDY'S SECRET #4

DOCTOR WHO ORIGINS #3 (OF 4)

DUEL #3 (OF 10)  

EXCITING COMICS #23

FOX AND HARE #2

GOLD DIGGER #291

GREAT GATSBY #5

GRIMM FAIRY TALES #62

GRIMM SPOTLIGHT: IRON MAIDEN #1

• Zenescope. You know what to expect.

HAWK THE SLAYER #1 (OF 5)

Story: Garth Ennis | Art: Henry Flint | Cover: Greg Staples | Rebellion/2000 AD | $6.50

A few years have passed since Hawk and his trusty band of warriors defeated the evil wizard Voltan, but Hawk is still uneasy, fearing that the Dark wizards have only temporarily disappeared and are due to return. Once again, Hawk must assemble a team of warriors to confront the returning evil. The Mind Sword may be the key to saving the world, but is it also responsible for the resurgence of these ungodly forces?

• I wondered where Flint Henry was.

JUNGLE COMICS #7

JUNIOR HIGH HORRORS: STRANGEST THINGEES FOREVER #1

• Parody

KNIGHTS OF THE DINNER TABLE #295

MEZO: BATTLE AT COBAN ROCK #4 (OF 5)

Story: Tyler Chin-Tanner | Art: Val Rodrigues, Gab Contreras, Varga Tomi | Covers: Val Rodrigues, Terry Blas | A Wave Blue World | 32 pages | $3.99

In the land of Mezo, the Tzalekuhl Empire sets out to conquer all surrounding territories, disrupting the peace that has lasted for generations. Only Kyma, the daughter of a fallen chief who refused to yield, stands in their way with the aid of the mighty Huax'kin Warriors. As the battle rages all around them, Uhna and Balaque come face to face with Roden, who they've not seen since The Rupture. The reunion with their old friend causes the twins to question their allegiances. Meanwhile, Kyma’s mother Mz'ira challenges Phegor to a duel with the fate of the tribes hanging in the balance. It's Mz'ira vs. Phegor! One will win. The other will die.

Inspired by Mesoamerican history and legends, MEZO is a totally unique fantasy adventure driven by war, political intrigue, and ancient magic!

PRAISE FOR MEZO

"A gripping wartime adventure filled with political intrigue and old-world combat." — SMASH PAGES

“If A Wave Blue World can continue to turn out quality like this, they’re going to be a force to be reckoned with in the comic book world.” — BIG COMIC PAGE

"An example of epic world-building on par with anything else you can think of." — THE PULLBOX

“Mezo has the makings of a historical epic, and I, for one, am ready to continue the journey.” — PASTRAMI NATION

NINJAS & ROBOTS #13

NOMADD: CITY OF EMPTY TOWERS #2 (OF 6)

ONE NIGHT IN PRAGUE #3

REDMAN #2 (OF 5)

RICK & MORTY: CRISIS ON C-137 #1

SACRAMENT #1

Story: Peter Milligan | Art/Cover: Marcelo Frusin | AWA | $3.99

The Exorcist meets Alien in this sci-fi/horror story. In the year 3000, Mankind abandoned Earth and fled into outer space.

Now, a disgraced priest, called into action to perform an exorcism on a remote space colony, is about to discover that no matter how far you run, you can't escape your demons, and the Devil is, in fact, real.

• I wondered where Peter Milligan was.

SHADOW SERVICE #14

THIRD WAVE 99 #4

TWO GUN TERROR #1

Story: Konstantine Paradias, S.A. Check, G.O. Parsons | Art: Ev Cantada, Jorge Pacheco | Art/Cover: Jason Craig | American Mythology | $3.99

Skeletal outlaws!  Demonic coachmen!  Quick drawing masked monsters!  Step back in time with us to the haunted Old West where the monsters aren't just the outlaws.  Three new terrifying tales of two-gun justice and creature carnage are on tap told in glorious stark black & white!  G.O. Parsons (writer of the Willy's Wonderland Movie) and Jason Craig (Freddy vs Jason vs Ash) deliver a devil's bargain that will leave you dying for more in "The Coachman".  Strap on your spurs and load the silver bullets - these stories are going to leave scars!  Available with three covers - Main by Jason Craig, Demons by The Corpse Crew (Buz Hasson & Ken Haeser), and a special Dead Sheriff cover by Buz Hasson!

• Weird Western, the only kind of Western I like!

VINEYARD #1

Story: Brian Hawkins | Art/Cover: Sami Kivela | Aftershock | $4.99

THE VINEYARD is a family-owned winery that sows and reaps by the blessing of the great god of wine and revelry, Dionysus. However, the Vines family's patron god requires complete devotion in the form of four sacrificial killings a year before each harvest. This has been done in unfettered obeisance. But all of that changed when the family's patriarch, Didache Vines, was in a horrible accident that left him paralyzed and in a wheelchair.

Now, the sacrificial and murderous duties of the Vines family have fallen to wife and matriarch, Maranatha Vines. With harvest season fast approaching and the family short of their annual sacrificial killings, Maranatha's struggle with her conscience puts all of her family - husband, son and daughter - in jeopardy.

Written by Brian Hawkins (Black Cotton, Believe in the Name, Don't Ever Blink) and illustrated by Sami Kivelä (THE HEATHENS, UNDONE BY BLOOD, Abbott), THE VINEYARD is what happens when family values and otherworldly obligations collide.

• Any book with Dionysus can't be all bad. At least there will be wine!

WILLY’S WONDERLAND PREQUEL #4

ZORRO: BLACK & WHITE NOIR #1

Story: S.A. Check, Jordan Gershowitz | Art: Gordon Purcell, Ev Cantada, Alex Toth | Cover: Michael William Kaluta | American Mythology | $3.99

Alex Toth's incredible Zorro art blazed into comics and changed the way we see black & white. His stunning use of negative space and mastery of fluid motion made every panel of his work a piece of art to behold in its glorious inked splendor. Inspired by the master of bold comic art storytelling, American Mythology presents a new Zorro series based on the beauty of black and white storytelling. Two new creative teams provide their Toth-inspired tales for new generations of Zorro readers! And as an added bonus we include an incredible Zorro story from Alex Toth's storied past! Zorro Black & White Noir #1 comes with three covers - Main by the comics legend Michael William Kaluta, Alex Toth Variant, and a stunning Black & White Zorro Photo Cover!

• Probably worth it just for the Toth reprint and the Kaluta cover!

BOOKS

MARVEL: YEAR BY YEAR VISUAL HISTORY HC NEW ED

Story: Stephen Wiacek | DK Publishing | $50.00

Deep dive into the full story of Marvel Comics in a single, beautifully illustrated volume. Created in full collaboration with Marvel, this fan-favorite title, last published in 2017, now covers more than 80 years of Marvel history, from the company's first incarnation as Timely Comics to the multimedia giant it is today. Packed with artwork from the original comics, this chronological account traces the careers of Marvel superheroes such as The Avengers, Spider-Man, Black Panther, Iron Man, Black Widow, and Guardians of the Galaxy, and the writers and artists that developed them. It also charts the real-life events that shaped the times and details Marvel landmarks in publishing, movies and TV.

• The thing is, I've already got all this information in my head! I'm not going to buy a book I could have written.

PULP POWER ART OF STREET SMITH UNIVERSE

Story: Neil McGinness, Dan DiDio | Abrams | $65.00

Pulp Power gives fans a rare glimpse into the pre-war pulp novel decade of the 1930s, a period of bold action and adventure storytelling that ultimately led to the creation of the comic book and the superheroes we know and love today. In more than 500 novels written between 1930 and 1940, The Shadow, Doc Savage, and the Street & Smith universe of characters captivated a generation of Americans with their heroic exploits and inspired a new generation of writers to create a pantheon of comic book superheroes in their mold. In Pulp Power, hundreds of these eye-catching covers are reproduced as a collection for the first time. Comics legend Dan DiDio provides context for the cover illustrations alongside a narrative discussion of the influence of the Street & Smith superhero universe on legendary creators such as Orson Welles, Truman Capote, Michael Chabon, George Lucas, Agnes Moorehead, James Patterson, Walter Mosley, Dwayne Johnson, Frank Miller, James Bama, Jim Steranko, Jim Lee, Gail Simone and many more.

• I'd buy a book that was nothing but pulp-era Shadow and Doc Savage covers. And modern Shadow covers by Steranko!

MORE OGNs

BIRDS OF MAINE HC

Story/Art/Cover: Michael DeForge | Drawn & Quarterly | $34.95

Long after the demise of humankind, birds roam freely around a new earth complete with fruitful trees, sophisticated fungal networks, and an enviable socialist order. The universal worm feeds all, there are no weekends, and economics is as fantastical a study as unicorn psychology. No concept of money or wealth plagues the thoughts of these free-minded birds. Instead, there are angsty teens who form bands to show off their best bird song and other youngsters who yearn to become clothing designers even though clothes are only necessary during war. (The truly honourable professions for most birds are historian and/or librarian.) These birds are free to crush on hot pelicans and live their best lives until a crash-landed human from the moon threatens to change everything.

Michael DeForge’s post-apocalyptic reality brings together the author’s quintessential deadpan humour, surrealist imagination, and undeniable socio-political insight. Appearing originally as a webcomic, Birds of Maine follows DeForge’s prolific trajectory of astounding graphic novels that reimagine and question the world as we know it. His latest comic captures the optimistic glow of utopian imagination with a late-capitalism sting of irony.

THE CON ARTISTS 

Story/Art: Luke Healy | Drawn & Quarterly |  $24.95

A quintessentially millennial tale about friendship and the quest for self-actualization

This is going to be Frank’s year. He’s going to do it all: find love, become a famous comedian and responsibly parent his plants. But then, Giorgio gets hit by a bus.

Self-assured and utterly entitled, Giorgio has always seemed like “Frank, but better.” Moving in with and caring for his estranged childhood friend quickly starts to chip away at Frank’s sense of self, as well as Giogio’s carefully curated online persona. Is Giorgio’s penchant for overindulgence truly aspirational? Or is it ultimately a red flag? The further Frank is pulled into Giorgio’s orbit, the quicker his existential dread blooms. Expectation and reality soon collide in a singular tale about trust and confidence.

Luke Healy’s playful, hilarious third graphic novel uses crisp lines and physical comedy to portray an uneasy friendship between two young men on the cusp of adulting. Snippets from Frank’s middling stand-up routines are punctuated by the subtle farce of Healy’s mise-en-scène and the lively, at times scathingly pointed, banter of old friends. The Con Artists is a stylish character study that asks the question of who fools who once everyone is off-camera.

“Luke Healy is a master at creating genuine characters with stories that never fail to pull me in and keep me there.” ― Noah Van Sciver, Fante Bukowski

“Healy is one of the finest cartoonists working today.” ― James Sturm, Off Season

"A beautifully observed masterpiece... The Con Artists by Luke Healy is my favourite graphic novel of the year so far, and to be honest, it might just be among my favourite comics ever." — Rachel Cooke, The Guardian

"This graphic novel [presents an] ... introspective journey, especially as it relates to ... anxiety and guilt." — Booklist

"A mordantly funny cautionary tale, and an incisive look at the boundaries of self-presentation and self-preservation." — Publishers Weekly

"Healy's strikingly simple black/white/grey line-drawn panels belie a complex examination of the eponymous con artists, clouded by self-delusion, enabled by social media." — Shelf Awareness, Starred Review

“Smart, funny, restrained and beautifully drawn.” — The Irish Times

“Healy’s pilgrimage through America is also a journey into his own mind, soundtracked by blistered footsteps and breathless huffs, and told with winning honesty.” — The Guardian, Best Comics and Graphic Novels of 2019

"Simply drawn and simply told." — The Stranger

"In its own quiet, unassuming fashion, this sad, silly and occasionally beautiful book resonates." — The Irish Times

• The line "quintessentially millennial" pushes me away, which I doubt was the intent. But maybe I should be pushed away. I remember what I was doing when I was Frank and Giorgio's age, and it was nothing like this.

DARRYL: OPENWORLD HC

Story: Remi Guerin | Art/Cover: Krystel | Magnetic Press | $24.99

Darryl is one of the most popular journalists in Openworld thanks to his power to travel between realities. His adventures are legendary, but he takes his role as a reporter seriously. When he investigates the disappearance of a Giant, he uncovers a conspiracy by a mysterious individual who would exploit magic for unknown purposes.

MOON LAKE VOL 3 (OF 3) GN

THE END HC REVISED AND EXPANDED

Story/Art: Anders Nilson | Fantagraphics | 150 pages | $24.99

Assembled from work done in Anders Nilsen's sketchbooks over the course of the year following the death of his fiancée, Cheryl Weaver, in 2005, The End is a collection of short strips about loss, paralysis, waiting, and transformation — a physical manifestation of grief.

The End is a concept album in different styles, a meditation on paying attention, an abstracted autobiography and a metaphysical travelogue, reflecting the progress of his struggle to reconcile the great upheaval of a death, and to find a new life on the other side. The book blends Nilsen's disparate styles, from iconic simplicity to collaged art to finely rendered pieces.

This new edition of The End is substantially expanded and revised — it is almost twice as long as the original edition — incorporating new work from the past 15 years that adds greater perspective to an already intimate window into the way we grieve, a process that can span decades. The new material includes added content from the original sketchbooks, over a dozen pages of new comics, a new afterword by the author, additional notes, and over 20 pages of Cheryl Weaver's work.

"Poignant, engaging, and philosophical, Nilsen's graphic memoir documents loss and is a testament to grieving. Fans of graphic memoirs will find the creator's use of surprise appealing." — Library Journal, Starred Review

"As intelligently written and beautifully drawn—whether simply or intricately—as anything else this front-runner in his generation of comics artists has done." — Booklist

• I don't usually buy the output from Fantagraphics and Drawn & Quarterly, but I have to give them credit for eclectic lines that are interesting and highbrow. I bet these books get a lot of traction in university courses.

MORE COLLECTIONS

ARCHIE 1000 PAGE COMICS ACCLAIM TPB

ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #332

BABYTEETH: YEAR TWO HC

DONALD DUCK: 20,000 LEAKS UNDER THE SEA HC

MARVEL COMICS LIBRARY VOL 2: AVENGERS HC

Story: Stan Lee | Art/Cover: Jack Kirby | Taschen America LLC | $200.00

By early 1963 the foundations of the Marvel Age had been laid. Marvel editor in chief Stan Lee realized something was missing, so Lee and artist Jack Kirby assembled Iron Man, Ant-Man and the Wasp, Thor, and the Hulk to create the Avengers. If the Fantastic Four were family, then the Avengers were the co-workers you didn't choose. Not everyone got along-the Hulk fought with everyone-but working together they could defeat the baddest of Marvel's bad guys, like Loki, Kang the Conqueror, the Masters of Evil, and Immortus. Relive the classic early adventures of Avengers Nos. 1-20 in an XXL-sized edition that's bigger than the Hulk's fist, weightier than Thor's hammer, and with more extras than Iron Man's armor. TASCHEN has attempted to create an ideal representation of these books as they were produced at the time of publication. The most pristine pedigreed comics have been cracked open and photographed for reproduction in close collaboration with Marvel and the Certified Guaranty Company. Each page has been photographed as printed more than half a century ago, then digitally remastered using modern retouching techniques. Accompanying the stories are an original foreword by Marvel Studios President Kevin Feige and an in-depth history by the Eisner Award-winning writer Kurt Busiek that's illustrated with original art, little-seen photographs and rare documents.

• Amazon says this is already out ("Order Soon! Only 13 Left!"), so I ordered and got it a few days ago. If it shows up on Instocktrades next week at half price, I'll feel like I've been taken. But these Taschen books are limited releases, so I'm not taking any chances.
  • Remember how for decades new reprint series — like Marvel's Collector's Item Classics, Marvel Masterworks and omnibuses — always started with the first Marvel title, Fantastic Four? With the advent of the MCU, Spider-Man and Avengers have usurped the pole position.

RUSH COMPLETE SERIES TPB

TO THE DEATH VOL 1 GN W SLIPCASE

UNTIL MY KNUCKLES BLEED VOL 1 TPB

MORE MANGA

BITE MAKER KINGS OMEGA VOL 5 GN

BUNGO STRAY DOGS BEAST VOL 3 GN

DAI DARK VOL 4 GN

DEVIL ECSTACY VOL 2 GN

DRAGON BALL SUPER VOL 16 GN

DUNGEON CRAWLERS ACADEMY VOL 1: INTO THE PORTAL GN

GIRL FROM OTHER SIDE SIUIL RUN DLX ED OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

I’VE BEEN KILLING SLIMES 300 YEARS MAXED OUT VOL 9 GN

KAGUYA SAMA LOVE IS WAR VOL 23 GN

KINGS BEAST VOL 7 GN

LOVE & HEART GN VOL 5 GN

MORIARTY THE PATRIOT VOL 8 GN

MY WIFE HAS NO EMOTION VOL 3 GN

NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS: MIRROR MOON TPB

ONE PIECE VOL 100 GN

OTHER WORLDS BOOKS DEPEND BEAN COUNTER VOL 1 GN

OVERLORD UNDEAD KING OH VOL 8 GN

SNOW WHITE WITH RED HAIR VOL 20 GN

SPLENDID WORK OF MONSTER MAID VOL 3 GN

TOILET BOUND HANAKO KUN VOL 14 GN

YOUTH ROMANTIC COMEDY WRONG EXPECTED VOL 18 GN

MORE KIDS/YA

BUMBLE & SNUG AND ANGRY PIRATES GN

CHUNKY GOES TO CAMP HC GN

ELLES #1

LOUD HOUSE BACK TO SCHOOL SPECIAL SC

LUMBERJACKULA GN

POKEMON GRAPHIC COLLECTION: GOTTA CATCH A WHAT GN

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "People smarter than me decided that the way to fix Captain Marvel was to re-name him Shazam"

I'm certain that was done so the "casual fan" would not associate Captain Marvel with Marvel Comics, but that kind of thing is going to happen regardless. An acquaintance of mine once misidentified the Martian Manhunter as the Incredible Hulk. 

• A less-cluttered homage to the first appearance of the Green Goblin.

10737465481?profile=RESIZE_710x

• SWORD OF AZRAEL #1 (OF 6)

Why isn't this character consigned to the dustbin of comics history yet? Oh yeah, Captain Comics Rule No. 11: "No idea is so terrible it can't be used again."

Trademarking?

• I didn't see this one on your list, but it's supposedly shipping this week as well.

large-5141559.jpg?1650331441&profile=RESIZE_710x

"GIANT-SIZE TWO-FISTED MANLY TALES is a collection of knuckle-busting, lip-splitting, teeth spitting tales of action and adventure that celebrates what has become known as 'toxic masculinity'! These are stories of men as protectors, warriors, adventurers, and soldiers having to rise up and do the right thing, sometimes at great personal sacrifice. This book is the reaction to the demonizing of masculinity in the current soy based world."

Based on the creators involved (Graham Nolan, Butch Guice, Michael golden, Chuck Dixon, Beau Smith, Larry Stroman and Mike Baron), I'm going to guess this is satire, but look at that price tag. 50 bucks for a 100-page comic book!? If anyone out there buys this please let me know. I'm curious (although not five sawbucks worth of curious). this one should be paired with Voices That Count... you know, the graphic novel anthology "brought to life by a host of talented female creators [which] dissects what it means to be a woman in today’s hyper-masculine world" solicited a few weeks back. 

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

"People smarter than me decided that the way to fix Captain Marvel was to re-name him Shazam"

I'm certain that was done so the "casual fan" would not associate Captain Marvel with Marvel Comics, but that kind of thing is going to happen regardless. An acquaintance of mine once misidentified the Martian Manhunter as the Incredible Hulk. 

No doubt. My point was that exchanging one problematic name for another problematic name wasn't a good fix. As I said, just re-name the character "Captain Thunder" and change nothing else, and everything that makes the former Captain Marvel unique stays in place. Now he's just another Superman clone with the additional liability of not being able to say his own name.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

I didn't see this one on your list, but it's supposedly shipping this week as well.

large-5141559.jpg?1650331441&profile=RESIZE_710x

"GIANT-SIZE TWO-FISTED MANLY TALES is a collection of knuckle-busting, lip-splitting, teeth spitting tales of action and adventure that celebrates what has become known as 'toxic masculinity'! These are stories of men as protectors, warriors, adventurers, and soldiers having to rise up and do the right thing, sometimes at great personal sacrifice. This book is the reaction to the demonizing of masculinity in the current soy based world."

Based on the creators involved (Graham Nolan, Butch Guice, Michael golden, Chuck Dixon, Beau Smith, Larry Stroman and Mike Baron), I'm going to guess this is satire, but look at that price tag. 50 bucks for a 100-page comic book!? If anyone out there buys this please let me know. I'm curious (although not five sawbucks worth of curious). this one should be paired with Voices That Count... you know, the graphic novel anthology "brought to life by a host of talented female creators [which] dissects what it means to be a woman in today’s hyper-masculine world" solicited a few weeks back. 

I don't find it at Diamond, Lunar or Random House. Google coughs up some kickstarter sites. And Compass Comics says it's "Live on Indiegogo." So maybe it's online only, or kickstarter only?

By the way, I had to laugh when I read the mission statement on the Compass site.

"I wanted...no, needed, a platform to tell the kind of stories I want to do and read. Tales of adventure, heroism, horror, and romance without the moralizing and political messages so prevalent at the modern 'big two' publishers, Marvel and DC Comics."

So your solution to this problem of political messages in comics (i.e, recognizing non-straight, non-white people) is to put your own political messages in comics?

• "My point was that exchanging one problematic name for another problematic name wasn't a good fix. As I said, just re-name the character "Captain Thunder" and change nothing else, and everything that makes the former Captain Marvel unique stays in place."

Oh, I agree... 100%. But I would say the vast majority of "casual fans" already think the character's name is "Shazam!"

Here's an alternate cover to Two-Fisted Manly Tales I prefer.

large-7291868.jpg?1650331441&profile=RESIZE_710x

• I think Captain Thunder would have been a perfect choice. Unfortunately, Shazam is baked in now that it's been used in the movies.

• Yep. Also seven people with Shazam powers is now fixed in the public mind. That's another improvement that I don't think is much of an improvement. And the movie gave Sivana Shazam powers! That's like retconning Luthor to be from Krypton.

I just don't think anybody at DC or Warner Bros. really knows what to do with him.

• That's no way to treat a guitar!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"My point was that exchanging one problematic name for another problematic name wasn't a good fix. As I said, just re-name the character "Captain Thunder" and change nothing else, and everything that makes the former Captain Marvel unique stays in place."

Oh, I agree... 100%. But I would say the vast majority of "casual fans" already think the character's name is "Shazam!"

Here's an alternate cover to Two-Fisted Manly Tales I prefer.

large-7291868.jpg?1650331441&profile=RESIZE_710x

This reply was deleted.