The Diamond site finally came to life.

BOOM! STUDIOS

BRZRKR #6 (OF 12)

FIREFLY HOLIDAY SPECIAL #1

CLICK HERE for more info, preview.

GETTING DIZZY #2 (OF 4)

POWER RANGERS VOL 3

REGARDING THE MATTER OF OSWALD'S BODY #2 (OF 5)

DARK HORSE COMICS

ART OF ANDROID UNIVERSE HC

THE ART OF HALO INFINITE HC

Dark Horse | 200 pages | $39.99 (standard) / $79.99 (deluxe)

Dark Horse Books, 343 Industries, and Xbox Game Studios are teaming up to bring you a closer look at the Master Chief’s journey in The Art of Halo Infinite and The Art of Halo Infinite Deluxe Edition.      

The Master Chief is back in Halo Infinite, the biggest and most visually spectacular Halo yet. Halo Infinite will debut on PC, Xbox One and Xbox Series X, Microsoft's fastest and most powerful console ever. To take full advantage of its prodigious graphical prowess, 343 Industries built an all-new, next-generation game engine, giving their world-class artists the tools and technology to realize the beauty, mystery and wonder of the Halo universe in unprecedented style and fidelity. 343 Industries have given Dark Horse access to the art and artists who have brought Halo Infinite to vibrant, vivid life. It's all here in unparalleled detail, the heroes you've grown to love — the Master Chief, the brave soldiers of the UNSC, as well as the weapons, vehicles, villains and vistas — and of course, the eponymous and magnificent environments of Halo itself.

The Art of Halo Infinite also features a brand-new cover from legendary concept artist and Halo Infinite’s Art Director, Sparth! Join us as we take you from concept to launch inside the artwork of the most ambitious Halo game to date.

The Art of Halo Infinite Deluxe Edition features a unique cover resembling the Mjolnir Power Armor worn by the Master Chief himself, along with other exclusive features that make this edition a must-have for all Halo fans!

CLOAKED #1 (OF 4)

From renowned writer and Dark Horse founder Mike Richardson (The Mask, Star Wars: Crimson Empire, 47 Ronin), alongside artist Jordi Armengol (Offworlder, Rogues), comes the cataclysmic crime miniseries, CLOAKED.

Twenty-five years ago, a genuine masked hero came out of nowhere to declare war on crime. All of America celebrated the exploits of the black-clad vigilante as he took down one lawbreaker after another, until suddenly he vanished. But when down-on-his-luck investigator Jake Stevens is hired to find the long-missing dark avenger, his inquiries threaten to expose the myth behind the mask. In gritty realistic detail, CLOAKED shines a bright light into the dark corners of truth, justice and the American Way.

"Jordi and I have had some fun taking superhero conventions and throwing a little noir into the mix. We think the readers will have fun too.” — Mike Richardson

"Mike’s script is agile, unpredictable. His characters are hard-boiled, lurking in the dark. It's been a while since I had enjoyed my work so much and I hope you'll notice it. Enjoy!" — Jordi Armengol

“Mike Richardson’s The Icon is right up my alley, a dark tornado of treachery, betrayal, deceit, and murder. It’s as if Orson Welles had written a superhero story. And Jordi Armengol’s gritty, realistic visuals are breathtaking. Such a cool series!" — Chris Warner, Editor

Praise for 47 Ronin

47 Ronin is a book to watch, without a doubt” — IGN

“… readers can easily tell Richardson is up for the task in providing his characterizations with real emotion.” — Bloody Disgusting

“This is a fascinating retelling of a legend which has become an important reference point in Japanese culture. And in its vitality, its subtlety, and its sense of integrity, 47 Ronin is a fitting tribute to a group of warriors who were never ronin.” — Multiversity

CC sez: This started life as The Icon, so you may see some references here and there online to that. I don't know why the name was changed after the initial PR blitz.

FAR CRY: RITE OF PASSAGE HC  

MAZEBOOK #4 

NO ONE LEFT TO FIGHT II #3       

DC COMICS

BATGIRLS #1

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad | Art/Cover: Jorge Corona

Um, hello — you didn’t actually think we’d keep you waiting this entire year without giving you the Batgirls series we’ve all been wanting for forever, right? No way, we love you too much — just like Batgirls Cassandra Cain and Stephanie Brown, who are only able to navigate the dark, gritty and oftentimes scary city of Gotham by leaning on the bright light that is their best-friendship. Mentored by Oracle, the Batgirls move to the other side of town where Barbara Gordon can keep a better eye on them while the hacker Seer is still invading their lives. Steph may be too rash sometimes, and Cass doesn’t speak much — but what they lack in similarities they make up for with their mutual respect and love for each other … and what makes them stronger together as Batgirls! And they may be good at kicking ass, but they are just trying their best to be normal teenagers — who’ll borrow the keys to a muscle car that belonged to a bad guy and perhaps give it a joyride around town without a driver’s license, then race to get back home to Oracle by curfew …! Splashing the pages with bright colors against a dark backdrop of Gotham, Batgirls is the pizza slumber party of the year you don’t want to miss!

CC sez: I haven't followed the Bat-books consistently in years, so when and how did Stephanie Brown get over her hatred of Bruce Wayne and the whole Bat-clan? She's wearing the symbol now, so I guess the hatchet has been buried.

Also, I suppose she's not dating (or trying to date) Tim Drake any more, since he's dating boys now. (See below.)

BATMAN & SCOOBY-DOO MYSTERIES #9 (OF 12)

BATMAN THE ADVENTURES CONTINUE SEASON II #7 (OF 7)

BATMAN: THE IMPOSTER #3 (OF 3)

BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS #10

DC Comics | $7.99

Story: Meghan Fitzmartin, Tini Howard, Dan Watters, Sam Johns | Art: Alberto Jimenez Albuquerque, Christian Duce, Nikola Cizmesija Karl Mostert | Cover: Bengal

After an issue #6 appearance that left comic book fans slack-jawed, Robin returns to Gotham City just in time for the holidays when Batman: Urban Legends #10 arrives in comic book stores and on participating digital platforms on Tuesday, Dec. 14.

Written by Meghan Fitzmartin, the feature-length story “A Carol of Bats” continues Tim’s journey of self-discovery from Urban Legends #6, and sees Tim balancing his drive to fight crime with his desire to be a great partner. Amidst the ashes of a devastated Gotham City and Fear State, Tim Drake comes back to Gotham City to help Batman and Nightwing try and put the city back together again after its devastation at the hands of The Scarecrow and The Magistrate. Along the way, Tim tries to get Batman out of a Scrooge-level funk, where the Dark Knight has serious doubts about if he’s failed Gotham City, and if its citizens will stop being scared and angry enough to have hope for the future.

“The response to Tim’s story has been more than I could have hoped” said writer Fitzmartin. “It’s always exciting to share Tim’s journey with fans, and close 2021 with this special holiday story in Batman: Urban Legends #10.”

Featuring a main cover by Belen Ortega, who’d previously drawn the Tim Drake story “The Sum of Our Parts” and a powerful Azrael variant by Riccardo Federici, Batman: Urban Legends #10 also includes another feature-length (22 pages) Nightwing tale, by writer Tini Howard, marking her first DC story since 2016. Howard will take over as writer of Catwoman beginning with issue #39 in January. Featuring art by Christian Duce and colors by Sarah Stern, this follow-up to the events of Fear State follows Nightwing around the holiday season, avoiding attending the Bat-Family holiday party before he’s doused with Fear Toxin and forced to relive memories of his past, present, and future shown to him by three ghostly versions of Batgirl — Barbara Gordon, Stephanie Brown, and Cassandra Cain.

Writer Dan Watters and artist Nikola Cizmesija conclude the three-part Azrael tale, “Dark Knight of the Soul,” with colors by Ivan Plascencia. In his return to Gotham City, Jean-Paul Valley faces off for a final time with the new villain Poor Fellow, who has a lot more to tell Jean-Paul about the legacy of Azrael than he ever knew. Batman: Urban Legends #10 also features a stunning Azrael variant cover by artist Riccardo Federici (The Last God).

Rounding out this issue is the heartbreaking close of the two-part story featuring the terrorizing twins Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum, written by Punchline co-writer Sam Johns and Injustice: Unkillables artist Karl Mostert.

CC sez: The tl;dr from above is that this issue is the moral equivalent of Superman: Son of Kal-El #5 in regard to Tim Drake's bisexuality, in that he's confirming he's into boys by going on a date with one. (Sorry, Steph.)

That being said, DC has tipped its hand as to what it's going to do with two Batmen (Bruce Wayne and Jace Fox), in that white Batman is staying in Gotham, while black Batman is moving to New York. So now I know. (You may have known already.)

BLACK MANTA #4 (OF 6)

FUTURE STATE: GOTHAM #8

HARLEY QUINN VOL 1: NO GOOD DEED

HARLEY QUINN: EAT, BANG! KILL TOUR #4 (OF 6)

I AM BATMAN #4

JOKER #10

NIGHTWING VOL 1: LEAPING INTO THE LIGHT

PENNYWORTH #5 (OF 7)

ROBIN AND BATMAN #2 (OF 3)

RORSCHACH HC

STRANGE ADVENTURES HC

DC Comics | Mature | $3.99

Story: Tom King | Art/Cover: Mitch Gerads, Evan Doc Shaner

Adam Strange is the hero of Rann, a man famous throughout the galaxy for his bravery and honor. After leading his adopted home to victory in a great planetary war, Adam and his wife Alanna retire to Earth, where they are greeted by cheers, awards and parades. But not all is as happy and nice as it seems, as the decisions Adam made during battles on Rann come back to haunt his family and threaten the entire DC Universe. Now his fate rests in the hands of one of his fellow heroes, Mr. Terrific, who must choose between saving Adam or the world. Collects Strange Adventures #1-12.

CC sez: I've been tradewaiting this, and due to COVID, it's been a long wait. It doesn't have the buzz that Mister Miracle had, but I suspect I'll enjoy it anyway. For one thing, the Gardner Fox/Murphy Anderson "Adam Strange" strip was so formulaic — some would say simplistic — that it really doesn't age well. To take it seriously, you almost need a subversive take (like Alan Moore's). I'm interested to see where King takes the concept, and if his take has legs.

TEEN TITANS ACADEMY #9

'TIS THE SEASON TO BE FREEZIN' #1 ONE-SHOT

DC Comics | $9.99

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Jen Bartel

Oh the weather outside is freezing, but these stories sure are pleasin’. So since you’ve no place to go, why not grab a sweater, pour a cup of hot cocoa, and stoke the fire … because these 10 tales are sure to lower the mercury! Join us as Harley Quinn and Blue Snowman ice out Hawkman, Batman fights the cold heart of Mr. Freeze, the JLQ don’t stand a snowball’s chance against Minister Blizzard and the Flash and Superman team up to chill out Captain Cold. So warm your holiday heart with these freezin’ feats of frosty fiction!

CC sez: DC has so many cold-based villains that it's almost surprising nobody's thought of doing an anthology like this before. Hey, maybe instead of being villains, they should team up and fight global warming. They'd be lionized, and never have to steal again!

TITANS UNITED #4 (OF 7)

WONDER GIRL #6

WONDER WOMAN #782

WONDER WOMAN VOL 1: AFTERWORLDS

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

KISS: PHANTOM OBSESSION #4

PURGATORI #3

RED SONJA: BLACK, WHITE, RED #5

SHEENA: QUEEN OF THE JUNGLE #2

VAMPIRELLA/DRACULA: UNHOLY #1

Dynamite | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Christopher Priest | Art: Donny Hadiwidjaja | Covers: Lucio Parrillo, Rose Besch, Shannon Maer, KyuYong Eom, Adam Hughes, Ani-Mia Cosplay

Christopher Priest's Vampirella saga continues this holiday season with the now married Daughter of Drakulon traveling to Dracula's castle to cheat fate in a new event limited series, Vampirella/Dracula: Unholy. But can love conquer evil?

Fans who check out Vampirella #25 will get to witness the biggest comic book wedding of the year. The story is directly picked up in the pages of this new series, but the backstory behind these monumental events goes back much longer. At the same time, the new series will be perfectly approachable for readers who haven't read a page of Vampirella in their lives.

Legendary writer Christopher Priest (Black Panther, Deathstroke) is joined in this series by bloodthirsty up and coming artist Donny Hadiwidjaja (Barbarella), colorist Mohan, and letterer Willie Schubert.

“We’ve kept Dracula off the board, from day one, because I’d planned to do this,” Priest laughed. “One of my first requests to Dynamite - ‘No Drac for the first year, please.’ When we bring Dracula into our series, we need that to be an event. I realize how over-used a claim it is but, trust me, you’re in for the trippiest love triangle/murder mystery in Dracula history, as well as an all-new vision for the classic character. It’s really tough to hype this book without blowing major plot twists. Donny and I are having a real blast with this.”

This is a Dracula story like no other. Defeated at the hands of a jealous lover, the genetic code of the Lord of Evil has been preserved within a deadly virus and passed on through generations to a young boy hunted by zealots seeking to worship him and religious fanatics trying to kill him. Saved from certain death by Vampirella, the creeping genetic time bomb was arrested, only to become active again twenty years later as the Dracula Virus begins feeding on its human host. Vampirella comes to his aid again, enacting an archaic blood rite which joins her in unholy matrimony to the man who would become Dracula.

The newlyweds must now travel to the ancestral lands of Transylvania to discover more about themselves, each other, and the twisted history that has lead them to this point. Plus, blood rituals. No event series has been this pivotal to Vampirella's world since another 25th issue lead to her death 25 years ago! From the 50th anniversary Free Comic Book Day issue of Vampirella in the summer of 2019, everything has come to this!

To celebrate this momentous occasion, Dynamite has assembled a squad of top flight cover artists to depict the new couple. The superstars include Adam Hughes, Lucio Parrillo, Rose Besch, Shannon Maer, KyuYong Eom, and cosplayer Ani-Mia. Fans can even grab a limited edition incentive cover by master painter Greg Hildebrandt.

CC sez: Well, that cover isn't the least bit suggestive, is it?  It is Vampirella, so I suppose that's to be expected.

Meanwhile, this storyline is gathering steam, and I'm interested in where it's gonna go. Oh that's right, it's gonna end tragically, and with Vampirella single again. Such is the life of an adventure character. But the hows and whys are the fun.

Besides, I never cared for Adam what's-his-face as Vampi's boyfriend in the Warren era. He was boring, whiny and useless.

IDW PUBLISHING

D&D: MINDBREAKER #3

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN VOL IV: THE TEMPEST TPB

IDW Publishing | 232 pages | Mature readers (16+) | $19.99

Writer: Alan Moore | Art: Kevi O'Neill

Moore & O'Neill's final LEAGUE epic comes to paperback!

"This wild metafictional romp is a fitting goodbye to two singular talents." — The Guardian (Best Comics of the Year)

After an epic twenty-year journey through the entirety of human culture — the biggest cross-continuity 'universe' that is conceivable — Alan Moore and Kevin O'Neill conclude both their legendary League of Extraordinary Gentlemen and their equally legendary comic-book careers with the series' spectacular fourth and final volume, The Tempest.

Opening simultaneously in the panic-stricken headquarters of British Military Intelligence, the fabled Ayesha's lost African city of Kor and the domed citadel of 'We' on the devastated Earth of the year 2,996, the dense and yet furiously-paced narrative hurtles like an express locomotive across the fictional globe from Lincoln Island to modern America to the Blazing World; from the Jacobean antiquity of Prospero's Men to the superhero-inundated pastures of the present to the unimaginable reaches of a shimmering science-fiction future. With a cast-list that includes many of the most iconic figures from literature and pop culture, and a tempo that conveys the terrible momentum of inevitable events, this is literally and literarily the story to end all stories.

A magnificent celebration of everything comics were, are and could be, any appreciator or student of the medium would be unwise to miss The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume IV: THE TEMPEST. Includes a pair of 3-D glasses!

CC sez: I have this in hardback, so I guess it's just taken a while for it to come out in TPB.

THE SCIENCE OF SURFING: A SURFSIDE GIRLS' GUIDE TO THE OCEAN

IDW Publishing | 136 pages | Middle-grade, 8+ | $9.99

Writer/Art: Kim Dwinell

The Science of Surfing: A Surfside Girls Guide to the Ocean, by Kim Dwinell, is the coolest way to experience a beach vacation and learn at the same time. Sam and Jade, from the pages of the beloved graphic novel series The Surfside Girls, explain the science behind the amazing wonders of the sea -- everything from life-sustaining plantlife to aquatic animals to crashing waves. Plus, there's a whole step-by-step chapter on how to surf.

The SURFSIDE GIRLS explore THE SCIENCE OF SURFING!

"Kim Dwinell’s Surfside Girls has a timeless quality ... it’s a perfect summer read." — Brigid Alverson, School Library Journal's "Good Comics for Kids"

The ocean is packed with plants, animals, water ... and science! Ride the waves of knowledge with Sam and Jade as they explain all about the amazing wonders of the sea, and have a blast doing it.

Have you ever wondered why the ocean has waves? Why do the tides change with the moon? Can dolphins really "see" using sound? How does surfing actually work? And what can we do to protect the ocean?

Cresting from the pages of the beloved graphic novel series Surfside Girls, join best friends Sam & Jade — and Sam's little brother Peet — as they explore the AWESOME world of ocean science. From physics to marine biology to ecology to surfing lessons, there's so much to learn ... with plenty of fun and jokes along the way! The Science of Surfing is the coolest way to take a beach vacation and learn at the same time.

CLICK HERE for a preview.

STAR WARS II: ATTACK OF THE CLONES ADAPTATION

STAR WARS HIGH REPUBLIC ANNUAL 2021

IDW, a leading comic book and graphic novel publisher, is proud to announce the upcoming December release of Star Wars: The High Republic Adventures Annual 2021, a one-shot comic book that –– for the first time ever –– welcomes Lucasfilm’s entire team of High Republic lead story architects to share tales from their favorite corners of the galaxy in one place!

Claudia Gray, Justina Ireland, Daniel José Older, Cavan Scott and Charles Soule are the celebrated comic book and prose authors behind Star Wars: The High Republic, the sprawling new era in the Star Wars saga that depicts the height of the Galactic Republic, centuries before the Skywalker Saga, when the new threat of the Nihil emerge in the Outer Rim.

Partnered with exceptional comic artists including Sam Beck, Jesse Lonegran, Jason Loo, Yael Nathan and Stefano Simeone, the five story architects will each shine a spotlight on fan-favorite heroes from their respective Star Wars projects in this 48-page, full-color anthology, aimed at middle grade readers.

Claudia Gray: “I've been asking to write a Star Wars comic for years, so I'm incredibly psyched that IDW gave me the chance. Telling a High Republic story –– especially about the crew of the Vessel, who are favorites of mine –– has been a great way to begin. As rewarding as it is to write novels, there's a special magic about actually seeing your creations on the page.”   

Justina Ireland: “It’s super-exciting to be able to share a story featuring Vernestra and Stellan! Getting a chance to show them working together while Vernestra was a Padawan has been a ton of fun.

Daniel José Older: “This project is exceptionally cool because it has the whole team together in one place, doing what we love –– telling stories of this amazing new era in the galaxy far, far away. For my part, I'm thrilled to introduce readers to a few characters that we'll be learning more about in my upcoming work.”

Cavan Scott: “It’s great to be back writing my favorite Tempest Runner, Lourna Dee, who takes on a rather surprising Jedi. There’s one thing you can be sure about with Lourna: She always looks after what matters most … herself!”

Charles Soule: “I am so happy to be part of this project! For one thing, I haven't written these characters in well over a year, and for another, it is a chance to work directly with the rest of the Project Luminous crew, which is always a blast. I’m excited for people to see this one.”

Editor Heather Antos: “The High Republic is such a unique landscape in Star Wars history – both canonically and in media storytelling –– and being able to collaborate with all the story architects for their first collaboration in a single book has been amazing. This is a comic any Star Wars fan simply can’t miss.”

TMNT #124

TRANSFORMERS #38

IMAGE COMICS

ADVENTUREMAN #7

COPRA VOL 6 TPB

JUPITER'S LEGACY: REQUIEM #6

KING SPAWN #5

LEONE: NOTES ON A LIFE OGN

Acclaimed creator Carmine di Giandomenico (The Flash, Daredevil: Battlin’ Jack Murdock) and rising star Francesco Colafella, together with Arancia Studio (the Italian media company which works on Mirka Andolfo’s bestselling Image Comics titles and on surprise hits like Commanders in Crisis and Deep Beyond) present an original graphic novel in Leone. This true story follows an Italian man who immigrated to the U.S. to find fortune, freedom and jazz and will be published by Image Comics this December.

Leone’s story moves from the stage of his last concert in New York City, through the sound of his trumpet. He recounts his past and his future in an emotional, nonlinear memoir made of music and memories.

"Leone is a real 'musical' book, as its narrative structure is dictated by the tempo of the piece that the protagonist performs within the story," said di Giandomenico. "It's the music that determines the times and the intertwining of an entire life, between the past and the present. It is music that pursues the emotions of a man in search of his own identity."

Step into the shoes of an American immigrant in this timely tale about spreading love and strength wherever you go and never forgetting where you came from.

Colafella added: "The story is based on my great-grandfather’s life, but it's not his biography. We wanted to tell the story of an 'ordinary' man which everyone could identify with. The frame of everything is the United States of America of the early 20th century, telling the dreams closed in a cardboard suitcase during the journey to the 'land of hope.' Between southern Italy and New York the landscape changes, the world changes, but a man's hopes are strengthened."

CC sez: I don't know this guy at all. But if this GN was about Leon Redbone, I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Yes, I'm that provincial.

NEWBURN #2

THE OLD GUARD: TALES THROUGH TIME

PRIMORDIAL #4 (OF 6)

SAGA BOX SET TPB

SPAWN COMPENDIUM, VOL. 2

SYPHON TPB

THE WALKING DEAD DELUXE #29

WHAT'S THE FURTHEST PLACE FROM HERE #1 DLX ED 7 INCH RECORD

MARVEL COMICS

Rising out of the ashes of INFERNO and emerging out of the vital time-traveling mission in X LIVES OF WOLVERINE/X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE comes The Second Krakoan Age of X-Men: DESTINY OF X! mutantkind’s future is reshaped once more, as Krakoa’s greatest triumphs and most crushing challenges still lie ahead. As last week’s CHOOSE YOUR DESTINY teasers showed, the possibilities are endless!

This new era will kick off with new titles such as IMMORTAL X-MEN, KNIGHTS OF X, LEGION OF X, and X-MEN RED, a stellar new creative team takeover on MARAUDERS, and revolutionary status quo changes for continuing titles X-MEN, X-FORCE, NEW MUTANTS, and WOLVERINE.

Fans can get their first peek at what’s to come in a new promotional image by Leini Francis Yu and Sunny Gho, an epic group shot starring some of the major players of the franchise’s upcoming sagas!

“The journey of the Krakoan Age is far from over!” Senior Editor Jordan D. White promises. “Our long-term plan that all our creators have been working on in our secret Council Chamber has only just begun to come to fruition. With the filling of the two empty council seats, the Reign of X has ended, and it’s time for mutantkind to reach for their destiny!”

CC sez: Last week featured the final issue of Hellions, and I wondered at the time how many more X-books would bite the dust as a result of the "Inferno" storyline. Now we know. As you can see from the above, Marauders, New Mutants, X-Force, X-Men and Wolverine will continue. Cable, Excalibur, Hellions, S.W.O.R.D., X-Corp and X-Factor will end, replaced by Immortal X-Men, Knights of X, Legion of X and X-Men Red. (Needless to say, no book featuring Wolverine got canceled.)

I'm not sure what to think about the promo above, as it contains non-mutants Deadpool, Juggernaut and Nightmask. And it doesn't have a bunch of other X-characters who have been prominent lately, like Moira MacTaggert, Cypher, Wild Child, Monet, Angel, Banshee, Siryn, Northstar, Daken,  Mirage, Wolfsbane, Scout, Abigail Brand, Fred Dukes, Black Tom, most of The Five and Sage. Maybe none of them play significant roles in the upcoming stories. Maybe there were too many characters, and not enough room. Maybe I'm reading too much into this. Or maybe ...

... they're all DEAD! MOO-HOO-HA-HAAAAA!

Well, temporarily.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #81

CONAN THE BARBARIAN #1 (FACSIMILE EDITION)

DEADPOOL EPIC COLLECTION VOL 1: THE CIRCLE CHASE TPB

DEFENDERS #4 (OF 5)

DEMON DAYS: RISING STORM #1

Story/Art/Cover: Peach Momoko

Another installment in Marvel’s Stormbreaker Peach Momoko’s critically acclaimed Demon Days saga arrives this December! DEMON DAYS: RISING STORM #1 will be the fourth issue in this extraordinary quarterly series written and drawn by Momoko as she masterfully blends Japanese folklore with the Marvel Comics mythos for a mesmerizing new vision of the Marvel Universe. Continuing the story of Mariko Yashida, DEMON DAYS: RISING STORM will also introduce more exciting takes on your favorite heroes including THOR and STORM!

Mariko’s journey through the mysterious forest of Kirisaki Mountain has brought her face-to-face with strange and terrible creatures. But she’s about to be tested like never before when she crosses paths with literal gods! You won’t want to miss this electrifying showdown in the penultimate chapter of the DEMON DAYS SAGA!

Also arriving in December will be DEMON DAYS: X-MEN CREATOR’S CUT #1! This special edition of Peach Momoko’s first DEMON DAYS saga entry will be presented in bold black and white with a brand-new Peach Momoko cover. DEMON DAYS: X-MEN CREATORS CUT #1 will also include layouts, pencils, character designs and unused art!

ETERNALS #8

EXCALIBUR #26

The solicitation doesn't say if this is the last issue or not. But no more have been solicited, so Magic 8-Ball says "Likely."

HULK #2

KA-ZAR: LORD OF THE SAVAGE LAND #4 (OF 5)

MARVEL-VERSE SPIDER-MAN TPB

MARVEL-VERSE THOR TPB

MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #33

REIGN OF X VOLUME 7 TPB

SAVAGE AVENGERS #27

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA VOL 3: WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS TPB

STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC #12

STRANGE ACADEMY #14

THE THING #2 (OF 6)

THOR BY DONNY CATES VOL 3: REVELATIONS TPB

WASTELANDERS: WOLVERINE #1

This December, return to the post-apocalyptic Wastelands of OLD MAN LOGAN in five all-new stories set in the Marvel future where heroes have fallen, villains have won, and your favorite characters defy all odds to survive. Brought to you by all-star creators including writers Steven S. DeKnight, Ethan Sacks, Rich Douek, and Torunn Grønbekk, these five one-shots will focus on Wolverine, Hawkeye, Doctor Doom, Star-Lord, and making their first appearance in the Wastelands, Black Widow.

Since Mark Millar and Steve McNiven’s legendary 2008 Wolverine story arc, the universe of OLD MAN LOGAN has gripped readers with its hard-hitting stories in multiple spinoff titles and a hit podcast series. Don’t miss the latest evolution of this fascinating saga when this all-new group of WASTELANDERS adventures hit stands in December! For more information, visit Marvel.com.

Wastelanders: Wolverine #1

Story: Steven S. DeKnight  | Art: Ibrahim Moustafa | Cover: Josemaria Casanovas | Podcast connecting variant: Steve McNiven

DeKnight, known for his work on Netflix’s Daredevil and WOLVERINE: BLACK, WHITE & BLOOD, will lead the return alongside artist Ibrahim Moustafa in WASTELANDERS: WOLVERINE, an all-new story set in the days after the conclusion of the original OLD MAN LOGAN, as he fights once again to save the people of the Wastelands who have been crushed under the heel of the Red Skull and Bruce Banner! The super villains united and took out most of the world’s super heroes decades ago, and while the man known as LOGAN attempted to live a life of peace, he had to pop the claws once again to do what he does best! But saving the day looks different with the Baby Hulk under his care. Is Logan doing the right thing by protecting the progeny of the HULK or dooming what’s left of the war-torn world? Logan may not have long to ponder if he is crushed by the adamantium armor of his newfound enemy Downfall!

“It’s such a rare, bloody joy to be able to transport readers back to the universe of Old Man Logan in the one-shots for WASTELANDERS: WOLVERINE and WASTELANDERS: BLACK WIDOW,” DeKnight said. “Old friends, new foes, and quite a few surprises await. You don’t want to miss this one!”

CC sez: I'm honestly baffled at the proliferation of geriatric characters. I'm a sexagenarian myself (not as much fun as it sounds) which kinda deflates my suspension of disbelief. It hurts for me to get up in the morning, and I'm supposed to believe sixtysomething Peter Quill can still fight people a third his age? That Black Widow's eyesight is still so good that she's a dead shot? Please.

IN COMING WEEKS:

WASTELANDERS: HAWKEYE #1

Story: Ethan Sacks | Art: Ibraim Roberson | Cover: Josemaria Casanovas | Podcast connecting variant: Steve Mcniven

Wastelanders mastermind Ethan Sacks, writer of both OLD MAN HAWKEYE and OLD MAN QUILL, is also back with artist Ibraim Roberson to bring you a never-before-told story of Hawkeye’s training with Stick — the man formerly known as Daredevil — in WASTELANDERS: HAWKEYE! Clint Barton’s sight may be gone, but his will to avenge is stronger than ever, and with the training and expert guidance of Matt Murdock, arrows will fly again! But what is Murdock’s actual target? And how will this change Hawkeye’s path in the Wastelands? This is one issue YOU can’t afford to miss!

WASTELANDERS: STAR-LORD #1

Story: Rich Douek | Art: Brent Peeples | Cover: Josemaria Casanovas

Writer Rich Douek (Superman: Red and Blue) makes his Marvel Comics debut alongside artist Brent Peeples in WASTELANDERS: STAR-LORD! The legendary STAR-LORD has fallen on hard times. With the Guardians of the Galaxy disbanded, Peter Quill returned to Earth to find it a wasteland unlike anything he’s seen across the stars — heroes dead, villains in power. While he’s taken out one threat, others remain in the Wastelands, and Star-Lord’s own desire to assuage his guilt for being off-world during the calamity will land him right in the middle of another! Will Quill overcome the mysterious force waiting for him at the site of his lost love’s death? Or is she not really dead at all?

"I’ve been a huge fan of Marvel’s Wastelands setting ever since the original OLD MAN LOGAN series, and it’s been an honor to contribute to it with WASTELANDERS: STAR-LORD,” Douek said. “Both the new podcast series by Ben Percy, and OLD MAN QUILL from Ethan Sacks and Robert Gill inspired me to really dive into what makes Peter Quill tick, and to send him on a thrilling adventure in this grim and gritty version of the Marvel Universe. I can’t wait for readers to come along for the ride and see what we’ve cooked up!"

WASTELANDERS: DOOM #1

Story: Torunn Grønbekk | Art: Julius Ohta | Cover: Josemaria Casanovas

THE MIGHTY VALKYRIES writer Torunn Grønbekk and rising star Julius Ohta explore the complex nature of everyone’s favorite tyrant in WASTELANDERS: DOOM! Doctor Doom helped wipe out the heroes on The Day the Villains Won, but even as he rules his domain in the Wastelands, a greater destiny calls to him. When a mysterious power blocks his oversight of a particular region, what he discovers will have ripple effects across the WASTELANDERS stories!

WASTELANDERS: BLACK WIDOW #1

Story: Steven S. Deknight | Art: Well-Bee | Cover: Josemaria Casanovas

Bookending the saga, DeKnight will team up with artist Well-Bee to introduce the Wastelander’s take on Natasha Romanoff in WASTELANDERS: BLACK WIDOW. The Lizard King has grown monstrous and deadlier than ever as the lord of his southern domain. But when rumor breaks that critical information is believed to be stored in his impenetrable fortress, only the greatest spy of all is up to the infiltration: the deadly Black Widow! But who is she, and how has she survived this many decades in the Wastelands undetected?

X-FORCE #26

X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA — THE RED CARPET COLLECTION HC

OTHER PUBLISHERS

21ST CENTURIONS #7

A MAN'S SKIN GN

ALICE & ZOROKU VOL 9 GN

ANIMOSITY OMNIBUS HC

ARPEGGIO OF BLUE STEEL VOL 19 GN

BABYLON TPB

Fantagraphics | $24.99

Story/Art: Tomi Ungerer

This collection of drawings and one-page cartoons by the internationally infamous cartoonist (and beloved children's book author) is a universal condemnation of human rottenness. The third book in Fantagraphics ongoing project to reprint Tomi Ungerer's 1970s-1980s satirical work, Babylon may be the most sobering collection so far, an example of his humor at its blackest. Drawn entirely in pencil, these fully rendered images, reproduced in lush, dense, gray tones, rival the satirical vitriol of his anti-war posters of the previous decade, radiating repulsion at what human beings can do to one another in the guise of "civilization." Taking on a political and social hue, his contempt for the ruling class etched on virtually every page, Ungerer depicts the bourgeoisie as vassals of the ruling class - members of a voyeuristic tribe who accept their position as the natural order of things and take glee in the subordination of those beneath them and the exploitation of those who make their position possible. Trendy spiritualism and religious quackery are skewered. Several drawings show people desperately trying to improve their appearance by putting lipstick on or having plastic surgery, clearly a transparent attempt to hide their inner ugliness. This denouncement of bad behavior is as sadly relevant today as it was in 1979 when this book was first published, as we have proved over these last four years. It is another uncompromising moral statement by Ungerer in the form of a series of masterful images. "There's one thing I can tell you for sure," he once said. "There's no such thing as a sheltering sky." And Babylon proves he means it.

BAKEMONOGATARI  VOL 11 GN

BANDIT'S IMAGINATION: BANDIT VS VACUUMONSTER

BANDIT'S IMAGINATION: TUB TROUBLE

BEAUTY AND BEAST OF PARADISE LOST VOL 2 GN

BELLE: KILL ZONE

BENEATH TREES VOL 2: WINTER CHILLS HC

BETTY & VERONICA JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #299

BLACK OR WHITE VOL 2 GN

BLADE RUNNER 2029 #10

BLOOD ON TRACKS VOL 7 GN

BLUE PERIOD VOL 5 GN

BRIAN BLOMERTH'S MYCELIUM WASSONII GN

BUDDY MCGILL #1

BY THE HORNS #8

CALL GIRL IN ANOTHER WORLD VOL 3 GN

CALL TO ADVENTURE: DEFEATING DUNGEONS WITH SKILL BOARD VOL 3 GN

CARBON SILICON HC

CARDCAPTOR SAKURA COLL ED VOL 9 (OF 9) HC

CAVEWOMAN KILLER CURVES 2

CHERRY BLACKBIRD #5 (OF 5)

CHILLIN ANOTHER WORLD LEVEL 2 SUPER CHEAT POWERS VOL 2 GN

CITRUS PLUS VOL 3 GN

COLD DEAD WAR TPB

DETECTIVE IS ALREADY DEAD VOL 1 GN

DIDN'T I SAY AVERAGE EVERYDAY MISADVENTURES VOL 3 GN

DO YOU LIKE BIG GIRLS VOL 2 GN

DON'T TOY WITH ME MISS NAGATORO VOL 9 GN

DOWNLOAD #1

DRUGSTORE IN ANOTHER WORLD CHEAT PHARMACIST VOL 3 GN

DUNGEON DIVE AIM FOR DEEPEST LEVEL VOL 2 GN

EDGAR ALLAN POE`S SNIFTER OF DEATH #3 (OF 6)

EMMA DREAMS OF STARS GN

FRIDAY FOSTER: THE SUNDAY PAGES HC

ABLAZE announced today their deal with Tribune Content Agency to publish a collection of the groundbreaking comic strip Friday Foster.

For the FIRST TIME EVER, the classic FRIDAY FOSTER newspaper color comic strip created by James D. “Jim” Lawrence (of Buck Rogers and James Bond fame) and illustrated by acclaimed Spanish artist Jorge “Jordi” Longarón, then later Gray Morrow (long time Marvel Comics artist & co-creator of Man-Thing) is collected.

The strip is the first mainstream, nationally syndicated comic strip (Chicago Tribune) starring an African American character in the title role.  It ran from 1970-1974 and inspired the 1975 movie of the same name starring Pam Grier.

The Friday Foster comic strip is the story of a former nightclub “camera bunny” turned photographer’s assistant turned fashion model. With an innate inclination to help others and a natural beauty that makes her a magnet for men, Friday often finds herself in some very sticky situations and world class adventures.

In addition to including all 214 Friday Foster Sunday comic strips with completely remastered colors and letters, the book will include a significant bonus section including multiple interviews, an expanded sketchbook section, artwork, photos, essays, articles, behind-the-scenes info, and more!

Writing and curating the book’s substantial bonus material has been undertaken by Friday Foster expert, and Editor, Christopher Marlon.

Christopher Marlon, Friday Foster: The Sunday Strips Editor: “The art is awesome and the stories are super-fun. And it's great to see a black character going on globetrotting adventures in the 1970s!   I really enjoyed bringing all the elements together so I could share this little piece of wonderful comic strip history.  I hope you will enjoy it too!”               

"Friday is such a fun and memorable character," said Wayne Lown, General Manager of Tribune Content Agency.  "So I'm thrilled to be working with ABLAZE on this book and eager to see its release later this year."

Rich Young, ABLAZE VP Creative/Business Development: “I’m very happy to be publishing this book at ABLAZE, as Friday Foster is not only a cool and entertaining strip, but also culturally significant.  ABLAZE is determined to find more out of print treasures like Friday Foster and make them available to readers.”

ABOUT Jim Lawrence

Jim Lawrence, the creator of Friday Foster, began his writing career scripting training films for the US Armed Forces, and moved on to write features including Buck Rogers and Joe Palooka. He went on to become a long-time writer for the James Bond comic strip. His credits at Marvel Comics include Strange Tales, Dr. Strange, and Captain Britain.

ABOUT Jorge “Jordi” Longarón

Jorge Longarón is a self-taught artist from Barcelona, Spain who came to prominence in the mid-1950s.  He became the first Spanish comic book artist to debut in the competitive US market with Friday Foster.  Today he is widely celebrated as one of Spain’s most talented illustrators.

ABOUT Gray Morrow

Gray Morrow is an American comic industry veteran who worked across the business for Marvel, DC, Archie Comics, Cracked Magazine and others. He also drew science fiction paperback covers and B-movie posters. A life-long fan of the character, Gray illustrated the Tarzan Sunday comic strip for over 18 years.

ABOUT Christopher Marlon

Christopher Marlon is a Los Angeles-based filmmaker who has created a variety of short form content.  He’s currently editing his feature length documentary, Ophelia’s Influence, about America’s first black fashion model.  Friday Foster: The Sunday Strips is his first book.

ABOUT TRIBUNE CONTENT AGENCY

Tribune Content Agency is a team of passionate editors, rights managers and technology experts providing quality content solutions for publishers around the globe. Working with a vast collection of the world’s best sources, we deliver a daily news service and syndicated premium content to more than 2,000 media and digital information publishers in nearly 100 countries.

ABOUT ABLAZE

ABLAZE is a publishing company releasing a variety of titles — in different formats, genres, and age ranges — original material, crowdfunded titles, reprints, art books, including international titles from Europe, Asia (manga, manhwa), and more.

The mantra of ABLAZE is quality first, with the goals of giving creators a platform, bringing new voices into the conversation, serving as diverse an audience as possible, and growing the company’s publishing schedule sustainably over time.

CC sez: This strip never appeared anywhere I was buying a newspaper in all my long life. I was aware of it, though, because the lead character was black, so it was mentioned a lot in the books and magazines about comics I read. But I've never read a single strip. Here's my chance, if I want it. Yours, too, if you're interested.

GAL GOHAN VOL 9 GN

GAMBLING APOCALYPSE KAIJI VOL 3 GN

GENECY #1

GEORGE SPROTT SC

GERONIMO STILTON REPORTER VOL 9: MASK OF RATJITSU HC

GODS OF BRUTALITY #3 (OF 4)

GRAPHIC CANON OF CRIME & MYSTERY VOL 2 TPB

GUN HONEY #4

Titan | 32 pages | $3.99

Issue/Volume Number: 4

Story:  Charles Ardai | Art: Ang Hor Kheng | Cover: Alex Ronald, Aspinall, Hor Kheng, Photo Cover

THE CLIMACTIC FINAL ISSUE IN JOANNA TAN'S EPIC CRIME STORY!

When a gun smuggled into a high-security prison leads to the death of dozens and the escape of a brutal criminal, notorious weapons smuggler Joanna Tan is enlisted by the U.S. government: find the man she set loose and bring him down!

“Charles Ardai is very smart and very cool fellow.” — Stephen King

CC sez: That woman has a serious problem keeping her clothes on. I wish I could say that I don't like that. Sadly, I am a shallow man.

HAZURE SKILL LEGENDARY ASSASSIN VOL 3 GN

HEATHENS #2    $3.99

HECATE’S WILL #1

Black Mask | Mature | $3.99

Story/Art: Iolanda Zanfardino

Written and illustrated by breakout new creator Iolanda Zanfardino (Alice In Leatherland), HECATE'S WILL is the story of a legendary NYC graffiti artist who has decided to retire and abandon her mission of changing the world through art, but, before she quits, she's going to create one final street-art experience: a graffiti scavenger hunt through the streets of Manhattan that will lead her fans to a final message and artistic testament. As her street-art experiment catches fire with young NYC artists and activists, and while she simultaneously gets roped into working on a rock musical, all of Hecate's expectations and assumptions will be challenged. But will it be enough to renew the strength of her conviction to remain true to her artistic self? HECATE'S WILL is a story for anyone who knows you can't escape being who you are and that making Art means proudly showing your scars to the world.

HE WHO FIGHTS WITH MONSTERS #4

CC sez: Hey, look! An homage to Fantastic Four #51!

HI SCORE GIRL VOL 8 GN

HILO VOL 1: BOY WHO CRASHED TO EARTH  GN

HIST OF WESTERN ART IN COMICS PART 2: RENAISSANCE TO MODERN

HITOMI CHAN IS SHY WITH STRANGERS VOL 2 GN

HITORIJIME BOYFRIEND (HITORIJIME MY HERO) GN

I AM A CAT BARISTA VOL 1 GN

I GOT CAUGHT UP IN A HERO SUMMONS GN VOL 2 GN

I SHALL SURVIVE USING POTIONS VOL 5 GN

AUG212382        I THINK OUR SON IS GAY GN VOL 02         $12.99

MAY211934        INSIDE MARI GN VOL 08 (OF 9) (RES) (MR)            $12.95

JUN212089          INTERVIEWS WITH MONSTER GIRLS GN VOL 09   $12.99

JUN211992          IVE BEEN KILLING SLIMES 300 YEARS MAXED OUT GN VOL 07        $13.00

J.P. ROTH'S ANCIENT DREAMS TPB

ABLAZE announced today their deal with fantasy author JP Roth to publish her line of Rothic graphic novels, beginning with Ancient Dreams, coming August 2021. Ancient Dreams is a modern fantasy intertwined with classic tales of the ancient gods and has been compared to such titles as American Gods, Sandman, and The Wicked + The Divine.

Cara Wynter is a literature student living with her twin sister, Lily, in Fairhaven Washington. A daughter of witches, touch brings Cara only pain, and dark visions of pasts and futures she can rarely change. Already fighting to exist in her strange reality, she begins to crumble when the reoccurring dreams of her own death begin. In a desperate attempt to unlock the secrets in the violent images, she finds herself lost in a contest between love, and the will of the ancient gods. With only forgotten memories and the pages of a book to guide her, she struggles to understand her past and break a deadly curse. Cara must face her worst fears, to save the soul of a god she has treasured for centuries, and a love she cannot live without.

"My tale starts with a 'once upon a time.' A long time ago, beings lived who could control the elements, immortality, and time. We called them gods and gave them our worship. They played with us like toys, took our lives and sabotaged our love. Now, the gods are myths. Stories in books—not to be confused with our modern world. I believed this until I found myself tumbling through a dream. This dream took me to another life. To a forgotten time in a bloody age. I dreamt of Hades's son and a lustful goddess. I dreamt of limitless power and revolving time. I dreamt a death and love that was mine... My name is Cara Wynter, and this is my story."

JP Roth's Ancient Dreams graphic novel includes nine chapters of full color stories, including three never collected before, in a complete 160-page $19.99 TP collection featuring art from Eric Basaldua, Mike Krome, Dawn McTeigue, and Sabine Rich.

After the release of Ancient Dreams, ABLAZE also plans to publish other Rothic graphic novels, including REM 8, Theory of Magic, and Southern Nightgown.

Author/Creator Jo Perfilio (aka JP Roth): “Ancient Dreams; a battle of love versus time, a saga created by myself, yet brought to life by Dawn McTeigue, Sabine Rich, Mike Krome and Eric Basaldua. I am grateful and thrilled to publish this graphic novel series with Ablaze. I love their varied collection of tales, exceptional artwork and authors. I feel deeply honored to be a part of this stunning collection.” 

ABLAZE Co-Founder & VP Creative/Biz Dev Rich Young: “Jo has been steadily building her Rothic brand and fan base for some time, and doing a great job at it.  So excited to be working with her now, and help get her stories and graphic novels out to a wider audience.”  

JUST ROLL WITH IT

Age-Category: Middle-Grade

Series Begins here!

Published by: Random House Graphic

Starting middle school is hard enough when you don’t know anyone; it’s even harder when you’re shy. A contemporary middle-grade graphic novel for fans of Guts and Real Friends about how dealing with anxiety and OCD can affect everyday life.

As long as Maggie rolls the right number, nothing can go wrong…right?

Maggie just wants to get through her first year of middle school. But between finding the best after-school clubs, trying to make friends, and avoiding the rumored monster on school grounds, she’s having a tough time…so she might need a little help from her twenty-sided dice. But what happens if Maggie rolls the wrong number?

A touching middle-grade graphic novel that explores the complexity of anxiety, OCD, and learning to trust yourself and the world around you.

JUST ROLL WITH IT is the debut graphic novel from writer Lee Durfey-Lavoie and the second graphic novel from artist Veronica Agarwal. Perfect for fans of Guts and Real Friends, JUST ROLL WITH IT is a touching story that explores the complexity of anxiety, OCD, and learning to trust yourself and the world around you.

“JUST ROLL WITH IT aims to open a dialogue about mental health for young readers and give them some terminology to help navigate talking about it,” said Veronica Agarwal. “I was inspired by Svetlana Chmakova’s ‘Berry Brook Middle School’ series (Awkward / Brave / Crush) that highlights issues kids deal with but doesn’t belittle them. I wanted this story to be something that shows how a lot of us live alongside our anxiety, and that the end goal of one's mental health journey doesn’t have to be ‘fixing’ yourself, but rather becoming the best version of you, anxiety and all.”

“It was important for us to reflect the world we live in—from diversity of body size, race, sexuality, etc, to diversity of how we take in the world around us,” said Lee Durfey-Lavoie. “We wanted to make characters that were serious, goofy, afraid, silly, and who reflected all the wacky and wonderful aspects of being in middle school. We wanted the book to reflect our own experience: that mental illness can be scary and difficult, but it isn’t insurmountable, and the ones you love can help you through it.”

Here’s what people are saying about JUST ROLL WITH IT:

“A charming, compassionate story that’s sure to resonate with anyone who’s ever stayed up worrying.” — Gale Galligan, the adaptor and illustrator of the Baby-Sitters Club graphic novel series

“Gorgeous... [and] powerful.” — Nerdist

“An accessible, compassionate story of growth and learning… This is a thoughtful and engaging account of a preteen navigating mental illness in a world that leaves her constantly doubting herself.” — Kirkus Reviews

“Offering messages of self-acceptance and tackling one task at a time, Durfey-Lavoie thoughtfully weaves the way Maggie’s OCD presents into this solid middle grade story with a sympathetically earnest protagonist.” — Publishers Weekly

On December 14, 2021, Random House Graphic will publish this charming, middle-grade graphic novel about how RPGs can help overcome anxiety and OCD.

Veronica Agarwal is a cartoonist and an illustrator from New York City. She graduated from School of Visual Arts with a BFA in cartooning. She loves plants, summertime, dogs, and her three cats. Her work focuses on mental health, coming-of-age stories, and friendship. Previously, she illustrated Alexis Vs. Summer Vacation — written by Sarah Jamila Stevenson, and has been featured in various anthologies about magic, queerness, and being mixed race.

Lee Durfey-Lavoie loves role-playing games and spending time with his cat. A college dropout who found a career in writing, he resides in Long Island. Just Roll with It is his debut graphic novel.

CC sez: YA, YR and middle-school books were a novelty a few years ago, and I read and positively reviewed a few, because the whole field was new, and it was exciting to see characters and genres aimed at grown-ups re-imagined for kids. But now there's a zillion of them — apparently they sell well — and I've had my fill.

So I don't care about the books any more, and don't read them even when the publishers mail 'em to me. But if they continue to send me PR, I will continue to post it.

KIRBY MANGA MANIA VOL 3 GN

KNIGHTS OF THE GOLDEN SUN #14

KOMI CANT COMMUNICATE VOL 16 GN

LIVING ROOM MATSUNAGA SAN VOL 8 GN

LOUIE & BEAR IN THE LAND OF ANYTHING GOES GN

MAGICAL GIRL SITE VOL 16 GN

MARIA LLOVET'S EROS PSYCHE VOL 1 GN

MASTERFUL CAT DEPRESSED AGAIN TODAY VOL 2 GN

MUSCLES ARE BETTER THAN MAGIC VOL 3 GN

MY ANDROGYNOUS BOYFRIEND VOL 3 GN

MY DATE WITH MONSTERS #2

MY LOVEY DOVEY WIFE IS A STONE COLD KILLER VOL 1 GN

MY NEXT LIFE AS A VILLAINESS VOL 6 GN

MY SENPAI IS ANNOYING VOL 6 GN

NATSUMES BOOK OF FRIENDS GN VOL 26

NICHIJOU 15TH ANNIV BOX SET

ODINN'S EYE #1 (OF 5)

Bad Idea | 72 pages | weekly | $7.99

Writer Joshua Dysart | Art: Tomas Giorello | Colors: Diego Rodriguez | Cover: Tomas Giorello, Diego Rodriguez

PLUS: An All-New BAD IDEA B-SIDE

Solveig, a young farm girl of great promise, is haunted by visions from the god-king Odinn himself. In words she cannot understand, and images too violent for a child to comprehend, Odinn tasks Solveig with a brutal mission: retrieve his eye — the one he famously traded for wisdom — and bring it to him.

In the real world, the winter season has not left the land of Solveig’s people for several years. As crops fail and livestock perish, fear and panic grow. In their desperation to appease the gods and free the land of this never-ending winter, the tribe turns to the child whose visions are surely a sign from Odinn. A war party is assembled. Solveig and a band of warriors — including an all-seeing witch — are sent north on a great quest — one which will change all that she knows, all who she has known, and all that she will become.

CC sez: Yes, Odinn is a legitimate spelling. Our words for the Teutonic/Norse gods are all transliterated from various dialects, so there are lots of different spellings. And there are lots of variations within the myths themselves. The Norse god of war Tyr, for example, was pronounced Tiu (tyoo) in old German, which is where we get Tuesday (Tiu's Tag). Frigg was Odin's wife, and Frey/Freya was a Vanir hostage, but both filled the same niche in the pantheon, and might have been the same goddess.

OK, this probably bores you. But I just love this stuff.

OLDMAN GN

ORCS IN SPACE #6

ORIENT VOL 6 GN

OTHERWORLDLY IZAKAYA NOBU VOL 9 TPB

OUT #3

PERSEPHONE HADES TORMENT GN

POKEMON SWORD & SHIELD VOL 2 GN

RANGER STRANGER

RESTART AFTER COMING BACK HOME GN

REZ DETECTIVES VOL 1 GN

RICK AND MORTY CORPORATE ASSETS #2

ROADSHOW #1

ROBO SAPIENS TALES OF TOMORROW OMNIBUS

ROBYN HOOD HELLFIRE

RUSH #2

SAYONARA FOOTBALL VOL 7: FAREWELL MY DEAR CRAMER GN

SCHOOL ZONE GIRLS VOL 3 GN

SCOOT LAUNCH TAKE OFF 4-PACK

SHAMAN KING OMNIBUS VOL 6 TPB

SHANGRI LA HC

SHIORIS DIARY VOL 2 GN

SHIRLEY & JAMILAS BIG FALL GN

SHRIEK #1

SKIP AND LOAFER VOL 2 GN

SLEEPY PRINCESS IN DEMON CASTLE VOL 16 GN

SNATCHED #4

SPLENDID WORK OF MONSTER MAID VOL 1 GN

SPREE TPB

SPRINGTIME BY WINDOW VOL 2 GN

STRONGEST SAGE WITH THE WEAKEST CREST VOL 6 GN

SUPER SLEEPY #1 BEDTIME STORIES

SUPERCATS MEWOW

SUPERCATS SUPERCATS

TALE OF THE SECRET SAINT VOL 1 GN

TEASING MASTER TAKAGI SAN VOL 12 GN

THAT TIME I REINCARNATED SLIME TRINITY VOL 4 GN

THERAPY GAME RESTART VOL 1 GN

THIRD WAVE 99 #1

TOPPI GALLERY SCENES FROM THE BIBLE HC

TROPICAL FISH YEARNS FOR SNOW VOL 8 GN

UNIKORN GN

UQ HOLDER VOL 24 GN

WALL HC

WHAT DID YOU EAT YESTERDAY VOL 17 GN

WINGS OF FIRE VOL 5 BRIGHTEST NIGHT GN

WITCHBLOOD #9

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #115

WORLD OF WARCRAFT: DARK RIDERS TPB

X-O MANOWAR #9

Valiant | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Dennis Hopeless | Art: Emilio Aliso | Colors: Ruth Redmond | Letters: Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou | Covers: Rahzzah, Michael Cho | Tyler Kirkham & Arif Prianto

The explosive and epic series conclusion is here with X-O MANOWAR #9!

The clash of titans has arrived. Our hero Aric of Dacia aka X-O MANOWAR goes head to head with billionaire mogul turned villain Troy Whitaker as his nanite swarm overruns New York and threatens the safety of the world. With Shanhara struggling to overcome the systems breach preventing her from reaching full power, does X-O MANOWAR have what it takes to save the day one more time?

CC sez: I've never cared for X-O Manowar, even though he's Valiant's main character. (The publisher's "Superman," for lack of a better word.) Why? Because basically he's Iron Man, only with a 5th century barbarian in the armor instead of Tony Stark.

why is that bad? Because who's more interesting, a 5th century barbarian or Tony Stark?

Let me put it another way: Who doesn't need several issues to learn how to do anything in the modern world, including how to use a toilet, a 5th century barbarian or Tony Stark?

I rest my case.

YOUNG LADIES DONT PLAY FIGHTING GAMES VOL 1 GN

YOUNG LADIES DONT PLAY FIGHTING GAMES VOL 2 GN

YUUNA & HAUNTED HOT SPRINGS VOL 16 GN

MAGAZINES

HI FRUCTOSE MAGAZINE QUARTERLY #61

LOCUS #731

MARVEL FALCON & WINTER SOLDIER SPECIAL HC

SCARY MONSTERS MAGAZINE #124

BOOKS

BEATLES NERD SEARCH ALL YOU NERD IS LOVE YELLOW SUBMARINE

DAYDREAM ART OF UKUMO UITI SC

DISNEY ANIMATED CLASSICS BEAUTY & BEAST HC

GERONIMO STILTON GRAPHIX VOL 3 GREAT RAT RALLY GN

GRIMGAR OF FANTASY & ASH LIGHT NOVEL VOL 16

HANG 'EM HIGH: 110 YEARS OF WESTERN MOVIE POSTERS, 1911-2020

By Mark Fertig

This coffee-table book showcases more than 500 of the greatest Western movie posters ever made!

Ever since the dawn of the 20th century, Hollywood has mythologized the American frontier — an untamed, rough-and-tumble land where a man could go as far as his wits, grit, and six-shooters at his hip could take him. From Stagecoach to Red River to The Wild Bunch to Unforgiven to The Ballad of Buster Scruggs, the Western genre has thrilled moviegoers with its dusty vistas, gruff heroes, brutal shootouts, moral quandaries, and metaphors for our modern times. And now, the movie posters of this quintessentially American genre are finally celebrated as the iconic fixtures of Americana they are. Hang 'Em High collects more than 500 of the greatest Western movie posters ever made — each a dynamic masterpiece of graphic design. Collected in a luxurious oversized format and meticulously restored, these posters are presented in as sharp quality as they have ever been seen. Plus, this art book features the fascinating history of the Western, from its low-budget beginnings to its glorious peak as Hollywood's most popular genre. Tom Mix, John Wayne, Clint Eastwood, High Noon, The Magnificent Seven, The Good, The Bad and The Ugly — the Western's brightest stars and biggest blockbusters are all represented here by editor and film scholar Mark Fertig (Film Noir 101: The 101 Best Film Noir Posters From the 1940s-1950s).

IN THE LAND OF LEADALE LIGHT NOVEL VOL 4 SC

INFINITE DENDROGRAM LIGHT NOVEL VOL 14 SC

LOVE MOM & 2 HIT MULTI TARGET ATTACKS LIGHT NOVEL SC VOL 11

MAGICAL EXPLORER LIGHT NOVEL VOL 1 SC

REBORN AS A SPACE MERCENARY LIGHT NOVEL VOL 2 SC

SAINTS MAGIC POWER IS OMNIPOTENT LIGHT NOVEL VOL 4 SC

SELF DEFENSE STUDY GUIDE FOR TRANS WOMEN

STAR TREK DS9 NOVEL REVENANT SC

USHIMITSUDOKI MIDNIGHT ART COLLECTION OF DAISUKERICHARD

WHAT IS THE STORY OF CAPT KIRK SC

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• CC sez: This started life as The Icon, so you may see some references here and there online to that. I don't know why the name was changed after the initial PR blitz. - My guess is that DC said something, or Dark Horse was afraid DC would say something

NEWBURN #2 - The first issue I thought was really good. This is about an ex-cop who works for the mob. underworld would be more accurate.

CC sez: That woman has a serious problem keeping her clothes on. I wish I could say that I don't like that. Sadly, I am a shallow man. - There was a splash page in issue 2, that rather surprised me...

Because who's more interesting, a 5th century barbarian or Tony Stark? - I've never been a fan of either one. I just kind of tolerate both.

• Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

CC sez: That woman has a serious problem keeping her clothes on. I wish I could say that I don't like that. Sadly, I am a shallow man. - There was a splash page in issue 2, that rather surprised me...

I know the page of which you speak. I mentioned it in the comics guide the week it came out, saying that it might be a line too far for some. I was, like you, surprised. (But not offended.)

• CC sez: Yes, Odinn is a legitimate spelling. Our words for the Teutonic/Norse gods are all transliterated from various dialects, so there are lots of different spellings. And there are lots of variations within the myths themselves. The Norse god of war Tyr, for example, was pronounced Tiu (tyoo) in old German, which is where we get Tuesday (Tiu's Tag). Frigg was Odin's wife, and Frey/Freya was a Vanir hostage, but both filled the same niche in the pantheon, and might have been the same goddess.

Thanks to American Gods more people know that Wednesday was named for Wotan/Odin. And of course Thursday was named for Thor. Thinking back, I believe that Friday was named for Frigg.

• Richard Willis Johnson is right! The German tribes adopted the seven-day week from the Romans, who had named the days after their gods. So the Germans named their weekdays for their gods (except Saturday), often paralleling directly. Those days went through the Anglo-Saxon blender and came out much as they are today.

Originally Sunday was named for the sun god Sunna (or Sol). The Old High German Sunnuntag became Sunday in English, Sonntag in modern German.

Monday was named for Mani the Moon God. Manetag became Monday in English, Montag in German.

Tuesday comes from Tiw (Tyr in Norse), the god of oaths and single combat. (Some sources say "god of war," which would make him directly comparable to Mars, for whom the Romans named Tuesday. But generally, Odinn is considered the god of war, along with the rest of his lengthy portfolio.) Ziestag became Tiuwstag became Tuesday in English, Dienstag in German.

Wednesday is obviously named for Woden (Odin in Norse). Wuotanestag in Old High German became Wōdnesdæg in Old English, Wodanestag in old Saxon and eventually Wednesday in English. Oddly, Wednesday in modern German is Mittwoch, literally meaning Mid-week.

Thursday was named for Donar, the god of thunder, Thunar to the Saxons and Thor to the Norse. Donarestag became Thursday in English, Donnerstag in German. Donner the Christmas reindeer bears the German word for thunder. (Blitzen means lightning.)

Friday probably comes from Frigg (or Frigga, as she is spelled now), but maybe for Freya instead. Or, the two could be the same goddess, which would make the point moot. Anyway, Old High German Frijatag became Freitag in German. Frigg was the goddess of marriage and motherhood, and the wife of Odin.

Saturday is a bit of a mess. Somehow it's named for the Greco-Roman Saturn in English, but went other ways in the other Germanic languages. The Old High German Sunnûnâband, which literally means "Sunday Eve," became Sonnabend in some parts of Germany. But the official word, Samstag, comes from Greek tradition and refers to the Sabbath! In Denmark, Sweden, Norway and some other countries, Friday is some variation of the Old Norse Laugardagr, which means, basically, Washing day.

This reply was deleted.