BOOM! STUDIOS

DUNE: THE WATERS OF KANLY #3

FLAVOR GIRLS #1

Story/Art: Loic Locatelli-Kournwsky | Colors: Eros de Santiago | $7.99

From Loic Locatelli-Kournwsky, the singular voice behind Persephone, comes a new Magical Girl all-ages adventure with an environmental twist for fans of Sailor Moon, Save Yourself and Power Rangers!

Naoko, Camille and V are the FLAVOR GIRLS, Sacred Fruit Guardians of Earth! They defend the Earth the source of their power from the threat of ever-looming aliens, whose motives regarding the planet and its peoples are as yet unknown.

But Sara, a normal young woman and a U.N. applicant just doing her best to save the world, gets involved with the Flavor Girls in a way she never could have imagined.

GETTING DIZZY TPB

POWER RANGERS #21

DARK HORSE COMICS

BRITISH PARANORMAL SOCIETY: TIME OUT OF MIND #3

NORSE MYTHOLOGY III #6

OVERWATCH: NEW BLOOD #1

Story: Ray Fawkes | Art/Cover: Irene Koh | $3.99

Dark Horse Comics and Blizzard Entertainment are teaming up again to present the print comic series Overwatch: New Blood! Written by Ray Fawkes (Black Hammer ’45, Batman Eternal), illustrated by Irene Koh (The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars, Hungry Ghosts), and lettered by Deron Bennett (Batgirl, Overwatch: Tracer — London Calling), the Overwatch: New Blood print editions feature interlocking standard covers and a line of variant covers by Dustin Nguyen, Paulina Ganucheau, Taurin Clarke, Tyler Crook and Leslie Hung!

With chaos and devastation rife around the world, Cole Cassidy receives the call to rejoin Overwatch, but memories of its fall still haunt him. After an unexpected reunion with an old friend, Cassidy considers that maybe Overwatch needs more than the old crew to give it new life.

Praise for Overwatch: New Blood:

“This new story is worth checking out.” — The Nerdy Basement

New Blood will certainly be worth keeping an eye on for those with an interest in Overwatch’s lore.” — Gamerant

• It always strikes me as odd that the American cowboy myth has become so pervasive in other cultures. 

TALES FROM HARROW COUNTY LOST ONES #3

DC COMICS

BATGIRLS #8

Story: Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad | Art: Robbi Rodriguez | Cover: Jorge Corona | $3.99

The Batgirls break into the Iceberg Lounge in order to rescue Seer, who’s held hostage by the Saints! Nightwing and Oracle get dressed up and go undercover to help the Batgirls, while also making the mission a date night! But why would they help Seer, the very person who’s been hacking into their network and harassing them? Read here to find out!

• Here's a heads up for Batgirls fans.

BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS #17

DARK CRISIS: WORLDS WITHOUT A JUSTICE LEAGUE — SUPERMAN #1

Story: Tom King | Art /Cover: Chris Burnham | 1:50 Foil Variant: Chris Burnham | 1:25 Variant: Steve Beach | 40 pages | $4.99

Backup

Story: Brandon Thomas & Chuck Brown | Art: Fico Ossio

Pariah. The Great Darkness. A World of Dreams. Hope.

Following the tragic events in Justice League #75, Tom King (Human Target) and Chris Burnham (Batman Incorporated) are teaming up for the first time ever for a tribute to the Man of Steel in Dark Crisis: Worlds Without a Justice League — Superman #1. Brandon Thomas (Aquamen), Chuck Brown (Black Manta) and Fico Ossio (Mister Miracle: The Source of Freedom) will also honor Aquaman’s legacy in a backup story in the issue. Dark Crisis: Worlds Without a Justice LeagueSuperman #1 will be available at comic book shops and digital retailers on July 12.

"Superman is maybe my favorite character to write, and Chris is one of my favorite artists in comics, whom I've been dying to work with for years, so this project is an absolute joy,” said Writer Tom King. “It's an important and emotional story about what Clark missed when he missed Jon's teenage years, the pain and the glory of seeing your boy grow up."

When Pariah and his forces of the Great Darkness laid waste to the most powerful superheroes of all time, all hope was lost … with the Man of Steel suffering the same fate as that of his comrades, join us for a look at a world of dreams he would never have thought possible while alive. Where there’s life there’s hope, and with that hope comes a deeper unraveling of the tapestry of DC Universe’s biggest event of 2022!

“I’ve been a fan of Tom since his days on Grayson, so although he’s probably better known for his 12-issue ‘war-is-hell’ epics, I still primarily think of him as writing fun formalist done-in-ones,” said Artist Chris Burnham. “I’ve got two young boys who haven’t quite figured out what a knucklehead their old man is, so it’s fantastic to be drawing a story about Superman trying to live up to the high standards of his own father. I loved drawing the adventures of Batman and Robin in Batman Incorporated, and it’s been extra fun to draw Superman with a Robin-esque Superboy.”

• Weird to see a Robin costume that's red and blue. It makes my brain scream, "It's red and green, damn you, red and green!" Because my brain is like that.

DC VS. VAMPIRES: COFFIN EDITION #1

• Collects DC vs. Vampires #1-3.

DC VS. VAMPIRES: CRYPT EDITION #1

• Collects DC vs. Vampires #4-6.

FUTURE STATE: GOTHAM #15

I AM BATMAN #11

INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US  YEAR ZERO COMPLETE COLLECTION

NAOMI SEASON 2 #5 (OF 6)

SUPERMAN: SON OF KAL-EL #13

Story: Tom Taylor & Nicole Maines | Art: Clayton Henry | Covers: Travis Moore, A.L. Kaplan, Clayton Henry | 32 pages |  $3.99 | Variant $4.99

Jay Nakamura and Lois Lane aren’t the only journalists in Metropolis.

After making her debut on CW’s Supergirl, actress Nicole Maines is bringing the character of Nia Nal, and her superhero alter-ego Dreamer, to the pages of Superman: Son of Kal-El. Maines will be co-writing Superman: Son of Kal-El #13 with series writer Tom Taylor.

"I'm so excited to work with Nicole Maines to bring Dreamer from the screen to the pages of Superman: Son of Kal-El and to the DC Comics Universe,” said Tom Taylor. “I want to thank all the people at DC who have championed Dreamer and who recognize the importance of this powerful trans superhero in this time."

“Jon Kent and Nia Nal are two characters that have a lot in common, both as superheroes with the weight of the world on their shoulders, and as young people with impossibly big shoes to fill,” said Nicole Maines. “Weaving their stories together for Superman: Son of Kal-El with Tom was a complete pleasure, and there is only a little pun intended when I say that Superman and Dreamer make for a brilliant new Dream Team.”

It’s the dramatic DC Universe debut of Dreamer! When every hero on Earth is threatened by Henry Bendix’s machinations, it’s a race against time for Dreamer to warn Superman before it happens! But will this mysterious new ally’s premonition become a nightmare for Jonathan Kent?

• I found Dreamer to be one of the least interesting characters on Supergirl. But maybe that's just me.

TEEN TITANS ACADEMY VOL 1: X MARKS THE SPOT TPB

TEEN TITANS: BEAST BOY LOVES RAVEN HC

WONDER WOMAN #789

WONDER WOMAN: EVOLUTION #8 (OF 8)

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

AOD VS REANIMATOR: NECRONOMICON RISING #1

Story: Erik Burnham | Art: Eman Casallos | Covers: Tony Fleecs, Christopher Mitten, Arthur Suydam, Stuart Sayger | Teen+ | 32 pages | $3.99

HORROR ICONS CLASH IN A NEW MINI-SERIES!

When an archaeological dig unveils an important element from the world of the Army of Darkness, it ends up in the absolute worst hands of all: Dr. Herbert West's. As West tinkers in God's domain, our reluctant hero is once more drawn into the sphere of destiny as he faces a triple threat of danger!

Writer Erik Burnham is joined by returning Dynamite artist Eman Casallos to bring you all the excitement and Deadite action! Joining Dynamite superstar cover artists Arthur "Zombie King" Suydam and Stuart (KISS) Sayger is Tony (Stray Dogs) Fleecs and the Dynamite debut of Christopher (Hellboy) Mitten!

Erik Burnham is a Minnesotan writer and artist who first broke into comics by way of the Nick Landime feature from Shooting Star Comics. This led first to other anthologies and then work for IDW Publishing, up to and including his critically acclaimed work on the Ghostbusters line of comic books and, later, the official Tobin's Spirit Guide. Erik's been fortunate to work with many companies in the last few years, including Cryptozoic, Dynamite, IDW, Insight Editions, Marvel, and Panini on properties such as Ghostbusters, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Back to the Future, Galaxy Quest, Scarlet Spider, New Warriors, Red Sonja and KISS  with more on the way. (Which is good news, because he loves his work.)

• Bruce Campbell has become an immortal archetype, hasn't he?

BETTIE PAGE: ALIEN AGENDA #5

THE BOYS SCRIPTBOOK VOL 1 SC

IMMORTAL RED SONJA #4

RED SONJA/THE SUPERPOWERS TPB

VAMPIRELLA/PURGATORI TPB

VAMPIRELLA STRIKES #3

IDW PUBLISHING

GI JOE: A REAL AMERICAN HERO #295

KILL LOCK: ARTISAN WRAITH #5 (OF 7)

TMNT: ARMAGEDDON GAME — OPENING MOVES #1

Story: Tom Waltz | Art/Cover: Fero Peniche | $5.99

The Rat King is scheming behind the scenes, and it will be up to the Shredder to find a way to stop the trickster god and his new trio of terror-Madame Null, Baxter Stockman, and LeatherKrang! Will the former master of the Foot Clan be able to locate the necessary counter-pieces to foil the Rat King's latest deadly gambit-or will chaos rule the day in NYC and Mutant Town? One thing's for certain: the answers won't be found in only one dimension. Longtime TMNT scribe Tom Waltz returns to the pages of IDWs ongoing canon in this official prequel to the massive TMNT event of 2022, The Armageddon Game!

TRANSFORMERS: BEST OF BEASTS

VOICES THAT COUNT

Story/Art: Various | IDW | 144 pages | $16.99

IDW is proud to announce that Voices That Count, an acclaimed Spanish anthology, will be available to English-reading audiences for the first time this June. Brought to life by a host of talented female creators, this graphic novel anthology dissects what it means to be a woman in today’s hyper-masculine world.

Voices That Count highlights and uplifts women’s voices, collecting their stories of life, love, and empowerment. Interacting with everything from the realities of gender imbalance in the workplace — through a gender-flipped lens — to toxic beauty standards taking a toll on the body image of young girls, Voices That Count gives women a space to recount their struggles and triumphs.

“We are so excited to bring this wonderful anthology to English audiences,” says IDW editor Megan Brown. “In a world where the fight for equality is ongoing, it's unflinching, heartfelt stories like those in Voices That Count that help us understand different hardships and perspectives, and ultimately show that we are not alone.”

This collection, featuring a cover illustration by Esther Gili and translated by Diego Jourdan Pereira, contains the following stories:

• “Julio” by Julia Otero and Ada Diez
  • “24 Hours” by Lola Garcia and Agustina Guerrero
  • “The Bug” by Diana López Varela and Akira Pantsu
  • “Empowered” by Estefanía Molina and Ana Oncina
  • “Loneliness” by Eva Amaral and María Hesse
  • “Sexier” by Leticia Dolera and Raquel Riba Rossy
  • “Turtle Steps” by Sandra Sabatés and Sandra Cardona
  • “Over a Banana Skirt” by Almudena Grandes and Sara Herranz
  • “Mzungu” by Patricia Campos and Sara Soler

“Taking part in this anthology has symbolized a kind of personal catharsis for the possibility of giving courage to other women to fight against those pitfalls, sometimes self-imposed, that form in a society where there are still fewer female authority figures in the public-political sphere than male. All this came about through a deep reflection on the impact of life role-models,” says Molina.

“The different situations (herein) are a wake-up call for us to stop punishing ourselves for being ambitious and to believe more in ourselves,” says Oncina. “Being part of this project has made me feel even more united with my colleagues.”

“Joining this project has been the most rewarding experience,” says Sabatés. “It is the most personal work I have done so far, a tribute to the struggle of the great women in my life, and this gives it added emotion. Simply wonderful.”

• Do we still live in a "hyper-masculine world"? Or is it just in Spain? Discuss.

IMAGE COMICS

7174 PRESENTS 01

Story/Art: Ashley Wood | 48 pages | $4.99

Following the artistic showcase that was 7174 ANNUAL 01, ASHLEY WOOD is back with this comic-sized 48-pager that showcases his ongoing and continuously evolving love affair with art styles that captivate, titillate and motivate ... you, to keep coming back for more!

ABOVE SNAKES #1 (OF 5)

Story: Sean Lewis | Art/Cover: Hayden Sherman | $3.99

The creative team behind hits like The Few and Thumbs — writer Sean Lewis (King Spawn), artist Hayden Sherman (Wasted Space) — unites with rock-star letterer Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou for the upcoming Western/Fantasy genre mashup, Above Snakes. This five-issue miniseries is set to launch from Image Comics in July.

"After two sci-fi books with Hayden, they presented a new challenge," said Lewis. "What about a Western? I thought of all the old movies my grandpa watched. I wasn't sure how to do that. But I did know how to blow it up. And I did know how to write about vengenace. Hayden and Hassan have just elevated that to an ungodly level. It's a fun book."

In Above Snakes, readers are introduced to a story that’s equal parts Deadwood-style Western and Neil Gaiman-esque fantasy. It’s the story of Dirt, a man seeking vengeance for his murdered wife with nothing but a talking vulture to prod him on. Above Snakes is a fast and furious explosion of Western tropes and American vengeance that explores where our rage can take us.

Sherman added: "Above Snakes is classic Western gunslinging fun that’s been made all the better by Sean’s distinct voice that, as always, immediately adds to each genre he steps into. At the same time, it's been a blast making something new out of the well loved visual language that comes with the old west."

EIGHT BILLION GENIES #3

IMPACT WINTER #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Travis Beacham | Art: Stephen Green | Colors: Matt Hollingsworth | Letters: AndWorld Design | 40 pages | $4.99

Image/Skybound, in partnership with Anonymous Content, announced a prequel to the #1 Fiction Audible Original series, Impact Winter #1, a new post-apocalyptic one-shot coming July 6 from Audible series creator Travis Beacham (Pacific Rim, Carnival Row), artist Stephen Green (Hellboy and the BPRD), colorist Matt Hollingsworth (Batman: White Knight, Little Bird), and letterer AndWorld Design. The epic tale of darkness and light will feature many of the characters made beloved in the heart-stopping audio drama, as well as the first appearance of an important character that has not been introduced in the audio series.

The 40-page extra-length issue takes place several years prior to the events in the audio series — one year since a comet hit Earth, inflicting an “impact winter” and blotting out the sun. Now, the world is a dark, cold landscape ruled by vampires.

“We are so excited to be expanding the epic world of Impact Winter into comic books, and working on this prequel with both Travis and Stephen has been a fantastic experience,” said Amanda LaFranco, Editor at Skybound. “If you’re new to the world of Impact Winter, Darcy’s journey will pull you in and make you want to stick around for more. And if you’re already a fan, this story will shine a light on details that have been brewing since Episode One. It’s a story you do not want to miss!”

In the British countryside, a band of survivors has formed a resistance in the fallout shelter of a medieval castle. Among them is Darcy, a young, headstrong fighter waiting for her chance to prove she can be on the front lines. But when that opportunity comes, Darcy will come face to face with the true horrors of this new world.

“I’m honored and excited to work on such a great script with an excellent team,” said Green. “Nothing is cooler than vampires.”

"For me, the fun thing about Impact Winter is that it can be so many things all at once — fantasy, folklore, gothic horror, post-apocalyptic drama,” added Beacham. “It’s a huge sandbox, with lots of shadowy corners to explore. This story is really just the beginning.”

The epic drama from Audible, Skybound Entertainment, and Anonymous Content debuted in February as the #1 Audible Plus bestseller across categories and the #1 Audible fiction bestseller in its week of launch. This action, romance, coming-of-age story delivers an unprecedented sonic experience via binaural action sequences, original music and incomparable sound design, all of which come together to bring to life this post-apocalyptic world in visceral detail. Impact Winter is now available via all major podcast providers, including Apple, where it has ascended as high as #3 on the fiction podcast charts.

Skybound and Audible have previously announced that the Eisner Award-nominated Image/Skybound comic book series Gasolina created by Skybound’s SVP, Editor-in-Chief Sean Mackiewicz and Niko Walter will be adapted for audio as part of Audible’s upcoming narrative slate.

KING SPAWN #12

LOADED BIBLE: BLOOD OF MY BLOOD #5

NEW MASTERS #5 (OF 6)

OBLIVION SONG BY KIRKMAN & DE FELICI VOL 6 TPB

ORDINARY GODS #7

SLUMBER #5

SPAWN AFTERMATH TPB

A TOWN CALLED TERROR #4

UNDISCOVERED COUNTRY #19

MARVEL COMICS

A.X.E.: EVE OF JUDGMENT #1

Story: Kieron Gillen | Art: Valerio Schiti | Covers: Carlos Pacheco, Mark Brooks | Teen+ | $3.99

JUDGMENT DAY IS COMING! Writer Kieron Gillen and artist Valerio Schiti’s upcoming Marvel Comics epic, A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY, will define the summer and now, Marvel fans can get their first look at covers, interior artwork and more in a special teaser trailer!

The pieces of the upcoming event will fall into place in June’s A.X.E.: EVE OF JUDGMENT #1, a prelude issue where Gillen will team up with artist Pasqual Ferry to present the first shot of the apocalyptic conflict to come. After that, the saga will be told across six explosive issues in A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY, the main event series launching in July, as well as tie-in issues unleashed across the Marvel Universe. An extraordinary odyssey that will leave a profound emotional impact on the Marvel mythology, A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY will tie together radical plot developments from the last few years including the X-Men’s discovery of immortality, the Eternals’ newfound knowledge about their purpose, and the Avengers’ assembling a powerful lineup at their base in the body of a fallen Celestial.

The Avengers have become a more powerful global force than ever from their base inside a long-dead Celestial. The X-Men have achieved a form of immortality on their utopian island nation of Krakoa. And the Eternals have begun a new cycle of life as they continue their sworn mission to eliminate the Deviants. But when the Eternals learn that mutantkind itself is a form of excess deviation, a vicious assault on Krakoa ensues — with Earth’s Mightiest Heroes trapped in the middle. Years of tension lead to a volcanic eruption as two worlds burn!

Eternals know that the mutants have conquered death. But what are they going to do about it? The oldest immortals on Earth size up the newest, and the doomsday clock starts to tick toward Judgment Day…

"The Eternals are the aggressors here,” Gillen explained to Popverse in a recent interview. “This is the Eternals about to go to war. You get to see the prime Eternals building their armories, working out how they're going to kill people, various plans and kidnappings, and the good Eternals perhaps being a bit more lost. It's preparation for war. That's what it is. I think that's the best way of describing it, as well as being also a really good restatement of what's going on in the Eternals. Because if you haven't read issues one to 12, this is like, 'OK, I don't know anything about Eternals. I don't know, why would [they] be going to war? Who are they even?' It's that as well. This is the preparation of the war happening and everything you need to know going in."

“There's a classic metaphor to describe the Marvel Universe — a toybox, which creators take toys out of, play with and put back. I get it, but it's never quite how I've seen it — I think ‘play’ in another way. I think of a music shop, with all these instruments with their different qualities suggesting different songs, different stories,” Gillen explained. “For all the Marvel instruments I've played, I've never written an event. Writing an event is something different. It's not like playing an instrument. It's having all the instruments in the Marvel music shop. That's not like writing a song. That's like writing a symphony.

“I looked at everything in ETERNALS and IMMORTAL X-MEN and everything else all the X and Avengers writers have done and thought ... yeah, this is an event. In fact, an event is the only way to do justice to this. The Beach Boys' Brian Wilson described the music he was reaching for as Teenage Symphonies to God. I think that's what the best Marvel Events aspire to be, and it's what we're aspiring to here. I want the scale. I want the heartbreak . I want a book that wears its heart on its sleeve even as it puts a fist in your face. I want something Wagnerian in its volume as emotional as God Only Knows.”

“It is great to have the opportunity to draw another Marvel event after Empyre,” Schiti added. “The difference is that last time I was just excited, but now I know how high the expectations are, so now I am both excited and a bit scared! Luckily for me I have the great Kieron Gillen and Marte Gracia watching my back and together we can face any cosmic threat!”

A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY VARIANT COVERS

Judgment Day is approaching! Kicking off in July, the Avengers, the Eternals and the X-Men find themselves in conflict in A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY, a new crossover event by writer Kieron Gillen and artist Valerio Schiti. To celebrate what promises to be the biggest comics storyline of the year, artists Lucas Werneck and Ashley Witter teamed up on an exciting series of variant covers that will adorn each issue, starting with A.X.E.: EVE OF JUDGMENT #1. These stunning portraits will star some of the most powerful players from all three sides of the upcoming showdown.

Fans can see the following four characters on Werneck’s breathtaking covers:

• Echo — Equipped with unmatched fighting skills, this former street-level hero now burns brightly with the power of the Phoenix Force. But does she have enough control of her new cosmic power to assist her fellow Avengers?
  • Thena — One of the Eternals’ fiercest warriors, Thena doesn’t always agree with the ways of her species. Will she fall in line when the Eternals target mutantkind or cause a schism amongst their ranks?
  • Jean Grey — A central figure of mutantkind and current co-leader of the X-Men, Jean Grey can always be found on the frontlines of mutantkind’s greatest battles, ready and willing to use her omega-level gifts against any threat to her people.
  • Destiny — The recently resurrected former X-Men foe now rules the mutant nation of Krakoa as part of the Quiet Council. Said to be mutantkind’s most powerful clairvoyant, she may know more about the war to come than anyone else…

Check out all four of Werneck’s covers now and stay tuned for the rest to be revealed in the coming weeks! For more information, visit Marvel.com.

CAPTAIN CARTER #4

CAPTAIN MARVEL #39

DAREDEVIL #1

Story: Chip Zdarsky | Art: Marco Checchetto & Rafael De Latorre | Cover: Marco Checchetto | Tteen+ | $4.99

A new DAREDEVIL #1 rises from the ashes of DEVIL’S REIGN’s climactic ending!

Writer Chip Zdarsky and artist Marco Checchetto will be continuing their Eisner-nominated run on DAREDEVIL this June. Known for their transformative work on the saga of Matt Murdock, Elektra, Kingpin and more, the superstar creative team will turn their gaze to a future full of peril and pain, in this explosive beginning of an all new era for Hell’s Kitchen’s guardian devil. After the shocking events of DEVIL’S REIGN, what is left of Daredevil? Who lived, who died, and who is left to pick up the pieces? Fans can expect the series to tackle both Matt AND Elektra’s journeys as they deal with the brutal cost of taking on the Daredevil mantle. With new enemies and radical changes to the fabric of Daredevil’s mythos, DAREDEVIL #1 is set to usher in the darkest Hell’s Kitchen to date.

“Getting to write Daredevil and work with Marco is a career highlight. I’m just genuinely excited that we get to continue our epic story with this new issue one!” Zdarsky said. “Matt and Elektra have confronted their past mistakes with DEVIL’S REIGN and WOMAN WITHOUT FEAR, but can they atone for them together?”

"It's the first time that I’ve to draw the first issue of the same series twice. I could tell you it's an issue like everyone else, now, but it's not,” Checcetto promises. “Each time I’ve to draw a new script of Daredevil it's a new experience. Chip keeps throwing at me new challenges and I'm not the type of artist to refuse them. How much more can we mess up with Matt Murdock's life? Let’s see with this new DAREDEVIL #1.”

"This is the start of our fourth year on the title! And the plan for it is about as big a swing as we could possibly take,” Zdarsky added. I’m super excited for readers to see where we’re taking our Daredevils!”

“DAREDEVIL is my magnum opus,” Zdarsky told CBR in a recent interview. “To get the chance to tell such a long story over years at Marvel with the same primary artist is a gift. Marco and I are over the moon with how readers have supported our book, and we promise you that we're giving it our all and building to something that we think is really special.”

• So. Many. Number Ones.

FANTASTIC FOUR #45

FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #2 (OF 5)

Story: Christos Gage & Donald Mustard | Art: Sergio Dávila | Covers: Leinil Francis Yu, Ron Lim, Bjorn Barends, David Nakayama, Paco Medina, Chrissie Zullo | Teen+ | $4.99

Fortnite and Marvel Comics fans will see both universe collide in FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR! The five-issue limited comic series is written by veteran Marvel writer Christos Gage and Epic Games’ Chief Creative Officer Donald Mustard and drawn by artist Sergio Davíla. An epic saga that impacts the characters of both universes,

The comic’s story follows the inhabitants on the Island who are locked in what seems to be a never-ending war, and only one thing has the potential to turn the tide—a crystallized fragment of the Zero Point that was cast into the Marvel Universe.

FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #2 finds Marvel and Fortnite heroes in Wakanda as the hunt for the Zero Shard continues! Meanwhile, Iron Man and The Foundation launch a daring mission into the unknown and stumble upon a game-changing revelation!

Each first print issue of FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR contains a redeemable code to unlock a bonus digital cosmetic in Fortnite! Here are the in-game items Marvel and Fortnite fans can look forward to unlocking in the coming months:

• FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #1: New Spider-Man Outfit - Exclusive to comic buyers for a limited time!
  • FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #2: New Iron Man Wrap - Exclusive to comic buyers for over 2 months!
  • FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #3: New Wolverine Pickaxe - Exclusive to comic buyers for a limited time!
  • FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #4: New FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR Spray - Exclusive to comic buyers!
  • FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR #5: New FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR Loading Screen - Exclusive to comic buyers!

Plus any fan who redeems all five codes will receive a new bonus FORTNITE X MARVEL: ZERO WAR Outfit!

IMMORTAL X-MEN #4

MARAUDERS #4

MOON KNIGHT #13

NEW MUTANTS #27

PUNISHER #4

REIGN OF X VOL 12 TPB

SAVAGE AVENGERS #3

SPIDER-MAN 2099 EXODUS #4

SPIDER-PUNK #3

STAR WARS BOUNTY HUNTERS #25

STAR WARS: THE MANDALORIAN #1

Story: Rodney Barnes | Art: Georges Jeanty | Inks: Karl Story | Colors: Rachelle Rosenberg | Coverd: Adi Granov, John Tyler Christopher, Declan Shalvey, David Aja, Leinil Francis Yu & Sunny Gho, Nick Gindaux, TV variant | Teen | $4.99

The saga of the Mandalorian comes to Marvel Comics! Kicking off in July, STAR WARS: THE MANDALORIAN will be an eight-issue adaptation of the Disney+ series’ first season, giving fans a chance to relive the events and characters of Season 1 through the lens of writer Rodney Barnes and artist Georges Jeanty! From the thrilling introduction of Mandalorian bounty hunter Din Djarin to his unforgettable first encounter with the Child, these iconic STAR WARS moments will be brought to life in a brand-new way, and you can get your first look at the highly-anticipated debut issue right now in a special preview!

“The story of the Mandalorian checks so many boxes of the stuff I’m passionate about,” Barnes told StarWars.com. “I love Westerns, fantasy, science fiction, comedy, drama … it’s a dream gig for any writer. I’m just glad I was chosen for this assignment!”

WOLVERINE #23

X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Gerry Duggan | Art: Kris Anka, Russell Dauterman, Matteo Lolli, & C.F. Villa | Covers: Russell Dauterman, Stanley “Artgerm” Lau, Carlos Gómez, Adam Hughes, Nick Dragotta, Arthur Adams | 72 pages | Teen+ | $7.99

Mark your calendar because mutantkind is hosting another Hellfire Gala, and it’s shaping up to be a night that Marvel fans dare not miss! Superstar creators Gerry Duggan, Russell Dauterman, Matteo Lolli, C.F. Villa, and Kris Anka will deliver 72 pages loaded with high-stakes drama, shocking character developments, and of course, showstopping super hero fashion.

At last year’s gala, mutants changed the face of the solar system, terraforming Mars and claiming it for mutantkind. This time around, they’ll once again set out to bring radical transformation to the Marvel Universe and are inviting every super hero on the planet to witness it. And when an uninvited guest crashes the party, the chaos that ensues will cause cracks in the very foundation of Krakoa and lead directly into the biggest Marvel story of the year — Kieron Gillen and Valerio Schiti’s JUDGMENT DAY! All that plus the reveal of the new X-Men lineup and the winner of the mega-popular X-Men fan vote. The seeds for what’s to come in the X-Men franchise over the next few years are planted right here!

"Last summer your host Emma Frost invited you to celebrate Krakoa with some fireworks. This year, it's about celebrating mutantdom's friendship with humanity,” Duggan explained. “Once again, we have a murderer's row of talent crafting a one-shot with revelations that will chart the biggest stories in the Marvel Universe. All that, and meet a new team of X-Men."

For the full scope of the event, fans should pick up upcoming issues of IMMORTAL X-MEN and X-MEN:

IMMORTAL X-MEN #4

In Kieron Gillen’s IMMORTAL X-MEN #4, Emma Frost will stop at nothing to make sure the Hellfire Gala is a night no one in the Marvel Universe will soon forget.

X-MEN #12

And in Gerry Duggan and Pepe Larraz’ X-MEN #12, the grand climax of the book’s first epic year, the current X-Men team go out in style, and secrets are revealed that guarantee the Hellfire Gala will be overflowing with drama.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9

And if you’re looking for the afterparty, swing over to Zeb Wells and AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #9 this August. Something happens at the Gala that sends Spider-Man and Wolverine on a dangerous mission all over creation! That’s right — the best duo in comics is back, but who are they fighting, and what (or who) are they fighting for? Pick up X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA #1 to find out!

HELLFIRE GALA VARIANT COVERS

This year’s Hellfire Gala will once again be a night overflowing with action, drama, and FASHION. And this time around, mutants won’t be the only ones slaying the Green Carpet. The other heroes of the Marvel Universe are getting into the fun with extremely stylish looks of their own, all designed by some of the industry’s most inventive artists! Superstar Russell Dauterman returns to lead the campaign to elevate Marvel Comics fashion like never before alongside artists Carmen Carnero, Iban Coello, Chris Bachalo, Jen Bartel, Mateus Manhanini, Mahmud Asrar, Miguel Mercado, Meghan Hetrick, InHyuk Lee and Eric D’Urso. Combining real fashion trends with classic super hero aesthetics, mutant power signatures and more, these bold takes on your favorite Marvel characters can be seen in both the upcoming X-MEN: HELLFIRE GALA one-shot and on a series of 20 gorgeous variant covers throughout June!

• Shang-Chi #13 by Chris Bachalo — Namor
  • X-Force #29 by By Miguel Mercado — Forge
  • X-Men #12 by Inhyuk Lee — Cyclops
  • Amazing Spider-Man #5 by Russell Dauterman — Spider-Man
  • Black Panther #7 by Erica D'urso — Captain Marvel
  • Fantastic Four #45 by Russell Dauterman — Doctor Doom
  • Iron Man #21 by Iban Coello — Iron Man
  • Miles Morales: Spider-Man #39 by Russell Dauterman — Black Widow
  • Moon Knight #12 by Russell Dauterman — Scarlet Witch
  • Wolverine #22 by Russell Dauterman — Wolverine
  • Avengers #57 by Carmen Carnero — Captain America
  • Captain America: Symbol of Truth #2 by Mateus Manhanini — Captain America
  • Gambit #2 by Russell Dauterman — Gambit
  • Hulk #8 by Russell Dauterman — She-Hulk
  • Knights of X #3 by Mahmud Asrar — Rogue
  • Marauders #4 by Russell Dauterman — Synch
  • X-Men Red #4 by Jen Bartel — Jean Grey
  • Immortal X-Men #4 by Meghan Hetrick — Emma Frost
  • Legion of X #3 by Russell Dauterman — Havok
  • New Mutants #27 by  Russell Dauterman — Magik

"I'm thrilled to be back designing costumes for the mutants!” Dauterman said. “And this year we're expanding to include more of the Marvel Universe — I jumped at the chance to design one of my favorite characters, the Scarlet Witch! I’m lucky to be in such stellar company, surrounded by the other artists working on this project. I’ve been excited every time new art shows up in my inbox, and can’t wait for everyone to see!"

PS ARTBOOKS

Diamond lists PS Artbooks in clumps, and this is one of those weeks. I was hoping to see Blackhawk Vol. 1 in this batch, since Bud Plant has begun listing it, but no soap.

GOLDEN AGE CLASSICS: FIGHT COMICS FEATURING SENORITA RIO VOLUME ONE

Story/Art: Nick Cardy, Lily Renée, various | $56.99 Slipcase, $46.99 HC, $29.99 Softee

The first adventure of Rita Farrar aka SENORITA RIO the lovely actress-turned-agent arrived in June 1942 inside the pages of FIGHT (you all remember the rules — so GO BUY FIGHT COMICS BEFORE THEY SELL OUT!) COMICS issue #19. Created by a true legend in the industry Nick Viscardi, later known better as Nick Cardy, he stayed with the series for eleven adventures before handing duties to Lily Renée, who although only penciled 16 adventures, was probably most strongly associated with the character and one of the greatest female comic artists in the history of the business!

When compared to the many other spy comic series that came and went in the Golden Age, SENORITA RIO survived eight years in a male-dominated world due to her extraordinary skills, an excellent marksman, she was also extremely athletic, capable of amazing feats and an expert fighter, skilled in jiu-jitsu and fencing — she truly is “The Queen of Spies”!

This first volume features Fiction House's Fight Comics #19-34 (June 1942-October 1944), featuring SENORITA RIO.

• I'd never heard of Senorita Rio before this book, but I bet Arnold Drake knew all about her. Senorita Rio is Rita Farrar, a movie star turned spy. The Doom Patrol's Elasti-Girl is Rita Farr, a movie star turned superhero. Coincidence?
  • And here's where Nick Cardy made his bones. I'd always wondered.

PRE-CODE CLASSICS: VOODOO VOLUME TWO

Story/Art: Various | $56.99 Slipcase, $46.99 HC, $29.99 Softee

Okay horror fans, check out these blood-soaked and brain-damaged gore-tests that make up the next volume of VOODOO. Packed full with the likes of 'Tusks of Terror!' In colonial India, the sadistic Colonel

Rankin frames the Indian lover of his daughter for theft and sentences him to death. But Ahmed Rai reincarnates as a wild boar and pierces Rankin to death. 'The King of Hades' Gangster Johnnie Grotz is killed by his rivals and goes to Hell to be tormented by Satan. However he steals Satan's trident thus giving him control over him and all of his minions. Returning to the surface, Johnnie gets revenge on his enemies. After returning to Hell, Johnnie humiliates Satan by getting him to shine his shoes. When Johnnie mistakenly drops the trident, a vengeful Satan reclaims it and plans to make Johnnie suffer!

Buy 'em now while they're available — but don't tell your mom — let her get her own copy!

Volume Two features stories from Voodoo #10-14 (July 1953-March/April 1954 ).

PS ARTBOOKS PRESENTS: SCI-FI CLASSICS VOLUME FIVE

Story/Art: Various | 184 pages | $56.99 Slipcase, $46.99 HC, $29.99 Softee

We’ve done it again, with another FANTASTIC collection of absolute vintage Sci-Fi comic gems, PS Artbooks Presents CLASSIC SCI•FI COMICS Volume 5. FANTASTIC from Youthful featuring Captain Science, aka Gordon Dane, a sci-fi hero who fought all manner of outer space villains including flying saucers, monster gods, alien spawn, and even domestic traitors. And from Pines FANTASTIC WORLDS starring Lieutenant Commander Bruce Hunter and Captain Jon Jax, the Space Ace.

All reproduced completely from cover to cover — just like the original comics and absolutely crammed with the cream of 1950s comic book talent including Harry Harrison, Vince Napoli, Henry Kiefer, Ed Goldfarb, Steve Kirkel, John Celardo, Alex Toth, Murphy Anderson, Art Saaf, George Roussos, Ralph Mayo and Ross Andru. Don't hang around for too long — like we've said before these beauties they won't be in orbit forever!

This volume features Fantastic #8-9 (Youthful, 1952) and Fantastic Worlds #5-7 (Pines, 1952-53).

PS ARTBOOKS PLANET COMICS SOFTEE VOL 13       $26.99

Story/Art: Various | 176 pages | $26.99

Drawn by Lily Renee, Fran Hopper, Ruth Atkinson, Jack Keller, Joe Doolin, Murphy Anderson, Charles Sultan, August Froehlich and Joey Cavallo.

This thirteenth volume includes Fiction House's Planet Comics #39-42 (November 1945-May 1946).

SILVER AGE CLASSICS: MYSTERIES OF UNEXPLORED WORLDS VOLUME FOUR

Story/Art: Various | 184 pages | Slipcase $56.99, Bookshop $46.99, Softee $29.99

PS Artbooks presents the Silver Age Classic MYSTERIES OF UNEXPLORED WORLDS Vol 4. It's a superb concoction of fantastic fantasy, supernatural, horror tales and mind-blowing science fiction stories from a roster of writers and artists that includes Dick Giordano, Bill Molno, Bill Fraccio, Bill Montes, Charles Nicholas and, of course, the truly remarkable one-man creative genius and now-late, lamented Steve Ditko.

Check out #18’s "The Forbidden Formula' by Bill Montes, the story is narrated by a "Watcher," one of 900 billion Watchers, each of whom is assigned a planet. This pre-dates the Lee-Kirby Watcher byalmost two years later!

All here, reproduced completely from cover to cover as they should be — just like the original comic!

This volume features Charlton’s Mysteries of Unexplored Worlds #16-20 (January 1960-September 1960).

PS MAGAZINE: CHILDREN OF DOOM #2

Story: Denny O'Neil | Art: Pat Boyette | 36 Pages | $16.99

Featuring work by DENNY O'Neil and PAT BOYETTE.

Charlton's Children of Doom, by Sergius O'Shaugnessy (Denny O'Neil) and the late great Pat Boyette, is a full-length comic book story with a blend of full-color and black-and-white pages. The adventure, featuring a holocaust, space and time travel, with more than a few mutants wandering around, is a compelling story, especially given the period it was produced in and the audience it was aimed at. Very much a product of the Cold War era, with a rather obvious Dr. Strangelove reference as the world faces an uncertain future in the age of the atom bomb.

Enter some scientists with a Doomsday Machine which they bury in the Earth to stop mankind using nuclear weapons and an Eastern Nation seeking to take advantage — when only disaster awaits. Reproduced completely from cover to cover — if you've never read this beauty, it's well worth adding to your collection!

This issue covers Charlton’s Children of Doom #2 (September 1954).

• I didn't know Denny O'Neil was working in comics as early as 1954.

PS MAGAZINE: PSYCHO #1

Story/Art: Various | 68 pages | $18.99

Skywald's Psycho #1 (January 1971) is a black-and-white comic magazine absolutely packed full of horror and suspense, if you're brave enough take a peek. We’ve got "The Skin And Bones Syndrome" by Gary Morrow; "The Glistening Death" and "I Painted Only Terror!" by Norman Nodel; "The Thing In The Mirror" by Raymond Everett Kinstler; "The Steps in the Cellar!" By Alan Weiss; "... And Then There's Cicero!" by Paul Reinman; "Anatomical Monster" by Alvin Hollingsworth; "The Hands of Death" by Vince Alascia; and "The Gruesome Faces of Mr. Cliff!" by Mario Acquaviva. And all reproduced here completely like the original comic magazine. Don’t hang around — these horrors will be gone by sunrise!

This single issue covers the SKYWALD title PSYCHO ISSUE #1 (January 1971).

FANTAGRAPHICS

Fantagraphis also seems to release in batches. We have three releases this week that, as usual, seem to have nothing in common except being published by the same publisher.

ONE EIGHT HUNDRED GHOSTS TPB

Art/Story: G Davis Cathcart | $14.99

A team of socialite scenesters moonlight as astral-projecting, art-thieving, time-travelers based in 1980 and concoct a heist to steal ... Michael Jackson's Thriller?

Using otherworldly technology to enter the future and repurpose the intellectual property of a popular yet evil artist in order to change its cultural trajectory, Cedric and his team realize that society will face a conundrum that only they can rectify: accept the work of a sonic genius despite any abusive behavior, or release the work themselves, stripping the artist of the pivotal success that would later enable horrible crimes. Ultimately, the team decides to save the decade's defining cultural touchstone before it ever happens: Michael Jackson's Thriller. One Eight Hundred Ghosts is the brilliant debut graphic novella from cartoonist G. Davis Cathcart, printed in an oversized, full color format best suited to showcase Davis's detailed cartooning and eye-popping page designs.

KEEPING TWO HC

Story/Art: Jordan Crane | 304 pages | $29.99

Fantagraphics is proud to announce the acquisition of the worldwide publishing rights to Keeping Two by the acclaimed cartoonist, printmaker, and designer Jordan Crane, with a publication date of March 20, 2022. Over twenty years in the making, Keeping Two follows a young couple still relatively new at building what they hope will be a lifetime together, over the course of a day. Through a series of events, they are forced to individually confront loss, grief, fear, and insecurity in ways that will either strengthen their bond or tear it apart. Touching, raw, and beautifully illustrated, Crane has crafted a graphic novel that celebrates the comics medium while exploring the depths of the human condition.

Jordan Crane is a cartoonist living in Los Angeles, CA with his wife and kids. Crane first emerged in 1996 with the iconic comics anthology NON, which he edited, designed, printed, contributed to, and published. His previous book was the critically acclaimed all-ages graphic novel The Clouds Above (2008).

In Keeping Two, Crane’s formal use of the comics medium — threading several timelines and the interior and exterior lives of its protagonists together to create an increasing, almost Hitchcockian sense of dread and paranoia — is masterful. But as the title hints, there are dualities at its core that make it one of the most exciting works of graphic literary fiction in recent memory, a brilliant adult drama that showcases a deep empathy and compassion for its characters as well as a visually arresting showcase of Crane’s considerable talents. Keeping Two is ostensibly a story about loss, but by the end, it just might also be about finding something along the way — something that had seemed irredeemable up to that point. In that way, it’s also a deeply romantic book.

“I could not be more proud to publish Keeping Two," says Fantagraphics VP/Associate Publisher Eric Reynolds. “It’s a works of comics by a master cartoonist at the very peak of his form. But it’s also a profoundly affecting story that I think strives to bring people closer by reminding us of our shared experience as human beings, at a time when we could really use it.”

THINGS WE CREATE TPB

Story/Art: Axel Brechensbauer | 188 pages | $24.99

A visual guide to fascinating historical facts and philosophical musings on why and how the objects we buy, own, use, see and interact with — from tanks to iPhones — come into existence.

We all live in a world of objects, yet we rarely stop to think about how and why they came to exist, why they look and feel the way they do, or what shapes our preferences and why we own and use the ones we do. In Things We Create, renowned concept designer, cartoonist, and sculptor Axel Brechensbauer pulls back the curtain and provides a visual guide to civilization's endless quest for the perfect human-made object.

Told in eight chapters covering topics such as "The Need of Objects," "Recreating Nature, "Objects as Communication," and "Objects as Power," Brechensbauer takes the reader on a rollicking tour through the history and creation of objects that comprise our world. He digs into the basics of design, discusses why certain some objects please us while others repel us, considers how the design of one object influences another, reveals how human curiosity keeps in step with technology. He answers questions such as, what makes objects so pleasing to use? Why do we create objects that are so contrary to those that appear in nature? What's the difference between an object that fills an emotional need and one that fulfills a practical one? What determines if a piece of furniture is a copy, an artifact, or art? What is the relationship between shape and emotion?

Told with visual verve, wit, humor, and, above all, clarity, Things We Create is both a history of and a metaphysical study of physical objects — all the stuff we buy, we use, we collect, we need. As befits a book about the beauty and utility of objects, Things We Create is itself both a beautifully designed and executed object and an immensely fun and readable series of comics and diagrams.

MORE COMICS

21ST CENTURIONS #9

9 CIRCLES #1

Story: Jaimie Engle | Art/Cover: Kool as Heck | Blood Moon Comics | Mature |$4.99

The demon cowboy Vengeance confronts his notion of right and wrong on a task from Heaven that he hopes will earn him God's redemption by leading the End Times witness through the 9 circles of hell. Based on the award-winning television screenplay.

ARCHER & ARMSTRONG FOREVER #3

B&V FRIENDS FOREVER SUMMER SURF PARTY #1 ONE-SHOT
Script: Jamie L. Rotante | Art: Dan Parent, Bob Smith, Glenn Whitmore, Jack Morelli | Cover: Bill Golliher, Jeff Shultz, Rosario “Tito” Peña, Jack Morelli | Archie | 32 pages | $2.99

A BRAND-NEW STORY kicks off this collection of fun-in-the-sun stories about pool parties, beach bashes and more, all hosted by Betty & Veronica! In "What's the Word?" Veronica's planning on throwing the BIGGEST pool party ever. She's been working on it for months, and now the big day is almost here . . . but no one seems to be that interested. Everyone's too consumed with beating each other's streak on a brand-new app called "Wordeel." Can Veronica get everyone into the spirit so her pool party can actually make a splash?

BARBARIC: THE HARVEST BLADES ONE SHOT 

Story: Michael Morici | Art: Robert Wilson Iv | Art/Cover: Nathan Gooden | Vault | $5.99

Vault is thrilled to announce that legendary artist Robert Wilson IV has come on board as artist for the much-anticipated BARBARIC one-shot, BARBARIC: THE HARVEST BLADES.

Robert Wilson IV is a comic artist and illustrator living in Dallas, Texas. He is the co-creator and artist of Heartthrob with writer Christopher Sebela and colorist Nick Filardi. He also co-created Knuckleheads with Brian Winkeler and Like A Virus with Ken Lowery. Additionally, he was the artist for Bitch Planet #3. He is also active in the poster community making concert posters for bands such as METALLICA, THE MOUNTAIN GOATS, DEATH FROM ABOVE 1979, and THE SWORD, among others.

"I loved the first Barbaric series, so it was a real treat getting to work with Michael, Nate, Addison, and the rest of the team at Vault," said Wilson IV. "Barbaric: The Harvest Blades is my first foray into fantasy and Michael's script let me go wild. I've never drawn (or maybe even read?) a comic so packed with blood and guts and monsters and humor and heart, it was an absolute blast!”

"Robert is one of those rare artists who's able to elevate anything he touches, and what he brings to BARBARIC is such a fun and vibrant extension of Nate's already tremendous creation," added Moreci. "He's the perfect artist to be the first to carry the Barbaric baton while Nate works on the next volume--I can't wait for people to see the blood-soaked enthusiasm he brings to Owen, Soren and Axe!"

“​​I am so excited to have Robert Wilson IV as part of the Barbaric team," said Gooden. "His bold lines are exactly what the world of BARBARIC needs, as it grows. Loud and in your face! That's what Robert is able to capture perfectly in Harvest Blades. Get ready to cheer, cringe and laugh!”

BARBARIC: THE HARVEST BLADES one-shot will hit store shelves on June 29th. It is written by Michael Moreci, drawn by Robert Wilson IV, colored by Addison Duke, lettered by Jim Campbell, and designed by Tim Daniel. The full synopsis can be read below:

Like a punch in the privates, BARBARIC is back! Bloodier and more irreverent than ever. In this one-shot, Owen, the barbarian cursed to do good, is forced out of hiding and back to his old B.S.! A whole bunch of violence, ethically approved, of course, by his moral compass, the talking Axe! Find out for yourself why Entertainment Weekly, Thrillist, Screen Rant, and a whole bunch of other people called BARBARIC one of the best comics of 2021.

The first of many one-shots that further explore the world of Barbaric, whose second arc, Axe To Grind, arrives in July!

BELIT & VALERIA #3

• Looks to me like an homage to Batman #1 (1940).

BEORN #1

Story/Art: Ben Bender | Red 5 Comics | $4.95

As featured on Free Comic Book Day! Beorn's world is big, full of living myths and fairy tales, but that won't stop the littlest Viking from living a legendary life! After Beorn finds his way to an uncharted island, he wastes no time launching headfirst on his quest for adventure ... or at the very least, his quest to find a sandwich! What perils await young Beorn in this new land, and will the littlest Viking be big enough to rise above the dangers coming his way?

• Looks like a kids' title, but isn't one. There was a book on FCBD.
  • Here's a preview.

BILL & TED ROLL DICE #2

BROKEN EYE #4

BY THE HORNS: DARK EARTH #2

CITIES OF MAGICK #3

DIG: SINK TALE #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: John Lees | Art/Cover: Alex Cormack | ComixTribe | Mature | 64 pages | $7.99

Spinning out of the critically acclaimed pulp crime saga Sink, comes a thrilling 64 page one-shot! Rojan Hardi is a migrant building a new life for his family in his adoptive home of Glasgow, Scotland. But he leads another life as the masked, shovel-wielding vigilante Mr. Dig. Once driven by fury and vengeance, he has unexpectedly become a protector and community leader. Now, Rojan must confront his traumatic past while facing a terrifying, seemingly unstoppable new enemy intent on burning all he has built to the ground. This new reader-friendly, standalone tale will also set the stage for the next volume of Sink!

DOGS OF LONDON #3

EXCITING COMICS #21

FRANK FRAZETTA DEATH DEALER #3

GHOUL AGENCY #4

GOLD DIGGER #289

HAPPY HILL #4 (OF 5)

JUSTICE WARRIORS #2

MAN GOAT & BUNNYMAN: GREEN EGGS & BLAM #1 (OF 3)

Story/Art: Joe Brusha | Cover: Riveiro | Zenescope | $5.99

The world's greatest monster fighting team is back! Man Goat and Bunnyman are ready to save the world again ... if they don't kill each other first. Don't miss issue one if this three-part series filled with monsters, mutants and Bunnyman madness!

MULLET COP: THE FLAVOR OF DANGER ONE-SHOT

Story/Art: Tom Lintern | Scout | $6.99

An outspoken mall councilwoman is opposing the evil corporation F.O.A.M. as it tries to get its harmful beverage products in the mall. After an attempt is made on her life, Charles assigns Fred to protect her so she can spread word about the shady dealings. What starts off as a simple bodyguard mission gets sidetracked as the councilwoman must buy a few outfits at the department store, all while assassins wait behind every corner.

NEWTHINK #2 (OF 5)

POTIONS INC #2 (OF 5)

QUESTS ASIDE #3

SEASON OF THE BRUJA #4

SHEPHERD THE VALENTINE #2 (OF 3)

SPACE-LADY #1

Story/Art: Ashley Warwick | Behemoth | Mature | $3.99

Space-Lady does her job exactly as the manual advises her. At least this is what her advisers think. She uses her incredible armour, technology, qualified immunity, and paycheck to get super, super high. She deals with crime in her sector anything but fairly, using any excuse to fight someone or break something. But today, after a heavy night of drinking, Space-Lady decides to sleep in and let her homemade AI police force handle crime.

SPECTREMAN HEROES #2 (OF 5)

VAN HELSING FROM DEPTHS #1

Story: Pat Shand | Cover: Igor Vitorino | Zenescope | $5.99

32-page story!

In the shadows of Liesel's past lurks secrets tied to the legacy of the Van Helsing family.

Born from the work of her father, a deadly new adversary rises from depths of the murky waters of the River Thames and only the famed vampire-hunter has the ability to return this twisted creature to the darkness it came from!

• That's not what anybody would wear to a swamp.

WEST OF SUNDOWN #4

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #121

WORLD WAR 3 BATTLE OVER HOKKAIDO #3 (OF 5)

MORE COLLECTIONS/OGNs

AIR WARRIORS: WORLD WAR ONE INTERNATIONAL ACES VOL 2

ART AND MAKING OF SNIPER ELITE HC

BLACK VOL 1 GN

Story: Tobias Taitt | Art: Anthony Smith | Soaring Penguin Press | $25.99

Tobias Taitt never knew his father, but he knew his mother all too well. After she killed his uncle, three-year-old Tobias was condemned to spend his early years in a series of bleak children's homes. As a black youth growing up in ‘70s Britain he learned first-hand that the world could be a cold and uncaring place for a child of the state. But he also learned to navigate — and eventually to buck — the system.

BUGHOUSE: FROM THE TOP — THE COMPLETE BUGHOUSE

DELUXE GIMENEZ FOURTH POWER & STARR CONSPIRACY HC

Story/Art: Juan Gimenez | Humanoids | $79.99

A special edition collecting the great solo works of The Metabarons co-creator, Juan Gimenez, an artist with a limitless imagination.

This collection includes two works. The first, the elegant space opera THE FOURTH POWER, is about the odyssey of star soldier Exether Mega who discovers she's at the center of a complex, secret experiment to create the ultimate weapon of war. The second is the wild, intergalactic romp THE STARR CONSPIRACY, which follows an aspiring young journalist on a wild chase to uncover the conspiratorial scoop of the century

GONE GN

Story: Simon Birks | Art: Juan Fleites | Blue Fox Comics | $17.99

If a tree falls in an abandoned spaceship, does it make a sound? Gone tells the story of a spaceship where all of the crew have disappeared. Waking up after many years of hibernation, the AssistA robot must piece together the mystery of the missing people. But all is not as it seems, and AssistA is not as alone as it thinks it is ...

HEATHENS: HUNTERS OF THE DAMNED TPB

JUDGE DREDD: THE COMPLETE CASE FILES 38 TPB

KODT BUNDLE OF TROUBLE VOL 71 TPB

MOUNTAINS OF MADNESS GN

Story/Art: Adam Fyda | Blue Fox Comics | $29.99

Writer/Artist Adam Fyda brings new life to the classic HP Lovecraft tale of terror! In 1932, two years after the initial Antarctic expedition, another sets off to try and discover exactly what happened on that fateful trip.

Before it leaves, a stranger gives a notebook to the expedition director, Howard Pym, and implores him to read it before they reach their destination. Preoccupied with the voyage ahead, Howard forgets about it, and naively sails into the dangerous waters ahead.

PRIMOS TPB

Story/Art: Yamada Murasaki | Drawn & Quarterly | Mature | $29.95

D+Q announces the Spring 2022 novel Talk to My Back by Yamada Murasaki, one of alt-manga's pioneering female artists. Yamada was the first cartoonist in Japan to use the expressive freedoms of alt-manga to address domesticity and womanhood in a realistic, critical and sustained way. This is her celebrated masterwork.

Set in an apartment complex on the outskirts of Tokyo, Yamada Murasaki's Talk To My Back (1981–84) explores the fraying of Japan's suburban middle-class dreams through a woman's relationship with her two daughters as they mature and assert their independence, and with her husband, who works late and sees his wife as little more than a domestic servant.

While engaging frankly with the compromises of marriage and motherhood, Yamada remains generous with the characters who fetter her protagonist. When her husband has an affair, Chiharu feels that she, too, has broken the marital contract by straying from the template of the happy housewife. Yamada saves her harshest criticisms for society at large, particularly its false promises of eternal satisfaction within the nuclear family — as fears of having been "thrown away inside that empty vessel called the household" gnaw at Chiharu’s soul.

Yamada was the first cartoonist in Japan to use the expressive freedoms of alt-manga to address domesticity and womanhood in a realistic, critical, and sustained way. A watershed work of literary manga, Talk To My Back was serialized in the influential magazine Garo in the early 1980s, and is translated by the Eisner nominated Ryan Holmberg.

This excerpt is presented in the traditional Japanese manner and is meant to be read from right to left.

VENICE

Story/Art: Jiro Taniguchi | FANFARE PRESENTS PONENT MON | $28.00

After his mother dies aged 78, the author discovers a beautifully lacquered box which contains what appear to be old hand-drawn postcards and photos of Venice. One photo of Piazza San Marco particularly catches his eye. It is of a Japanese couple feeding a multitude of pigeons in the square dressed in what looked like 1930's style. Who were they? What relevance did they have for his mother?

Armed with the contents of the lacquered box he travels to Venice to track down the places and events in the images and to discover the identity of the young couple in the old photograph.

With very few but well-chosen words and his artist's eye for detail, Taniguchi portrays the Venice of today in a most deserving light.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• MORE MANGA

APOTHECARY DIARIES VOL 5 GN

ATTACK ON TITAN OMNIBUS VOL 5: VOL 13-15 TPB

CASTE HEAVEN VOL 7 GN

CHITOSE IS IN RAMUNE BOTTLE VOL 1 GN

10626978259?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Hiromu | Art: Raemz | Yen Press | $13.00

"Saku Chitose is a womanizing scumbag" — Even if he's attacked by slanderous gossip online, Saku Chitose's reign at the top of his school is unshakable. As a member of the student elite, he's surrounded by attractive, popular kids. But as he enjoys his smooth-sailing social life, Saku is suddenly asked to rehabilitate Kenta Yamazaki, an anti-social shut-in!?

DAUGHTER OF EMPEROR VOL 1 GN

10626978474?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Yunsul | Art:Rino | Yen Press | $20.00

Some people are reborn as villainesses and others as heroes ... but Adriana has the severe misfortune of being reborn as the infant daughter of the tyrannical Emperor Caitel! But as the days go on and she grows up, she finds that her cold-blooded father might have some warmth left in him yet ...

• One of the unsettling things for me about certain isekai — the ones where you're reincarnated — is that you'd have to grow up again. Sure, we've all daydreamed about fixing some of our mistakes, but it wouldn't be the same childhood in the same era, so you'd have new problems and probably make new mistakes. Worse, you'd have to sit through 12 years of public education again. Can you imagine sitting through first grade again, knowing what you know now? The boredom would be torture!

DETECTIVE IS ALREADY DEAD VOL 2 GN

DEVIL’S CANDY VOL 2 GN

DIVINE RAIMENT MAGICAL GIRL HOWLING MOON VOL 3 GN

DON’T BE CRUEL VOL 10

DRAGON QUEST: ADVENTURES OF DAI VOL 3 GN

FAIRY TAIL: 100 YEARS QUEST VOL 10 GN

FLEXIBLE: THE ART OF YO SHIMIZU SC

10626978487?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Yo Shimizu | Pie International | $39.99

The first art book of Yo Shimizu's work, featuring his series of breathtakingly beautiful and overwhelmingly fantastic landscapes, is finally available. The book contains more than 160 representative works of the artist, including illustrations of fantasy backgrounds, and illustrations with characters, which appeared on the paper bags at Comic Market 97. The book introduces a wide variety of Shimizu's work to date, from fully-realized digital art to those that still retain the more natural touch of handwriting. At the end of the book, a feature on the making of the cover illustration is included with bilingual Japanese and English text, giving readers a glimpse into the techniques that Shimizu uses when drawing.

GLEIPNIR GN VOL 11

HAZURE SKILL LEGENDARY ASSASSIN VOL 4 GN

KAIJU NO 8 VOL 3 GN

KILLING STALKING DLX ED VOL 1 GN

10626978298?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Koogi | Seven Seas | Mature | $27.99

The Mature-rated Boys' Love horror webtoon from Lezhin that became a global manhwa hit! Yoon Bum, a scrawny and quiet man, has a crush on one of the most popular and handsome guys in his college: Sangwoo. After the two cross paths again during their military training, Yoon Bum's feelings grow in intensity until they become an obsession he breaks into Sangwoo's home. But what he sees inside is not the Sangwoo of his fantasies; his dreams of this alluring man abruptly turn into a nightmare. Now readers can own this full-color, deluxe paperback edition in English for the first time, with a special fold-out insert included in every volume!

KONOHANA KITAN VOL 10

LET THIS GRIEVING SOUL RETIRE VOL 3 GN

LOVE OF KILL VOL 8 GN

MAGICAL EXPLORER VOL 1 GN (MR) $13.00

10626978698?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Iris | Art: Yukari Higa, Noboru Kannatuki | Yen Press | Mature | $13.00

Reincarnated as a character in the legendary erotic game, "Magical Explorer," it doesn't take long for our hero to discover that he's been designated the unlucky side-character rather than the game's lady-killer protagonist. Not to worry, though! Armed with his vast knowledge of the game (and a few cheats) he'll do whatever it takes to win the hearts of the game's heroines and emerge as the most accomplished student at the Sorcerer's Academy!

MAME COORDINATE VOL 2 GN

MAO VOL 6 GN

MONTHLY GIRLS NOZAKI KUN VOL 13 GN

MOON & SUN VOL 1 GN

10626978898?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Akane Abe | Sublime | Mature | $12.99

A yakuza heir indifferent to the family business butts heads with the stunning proprietress of a nearby drag club. When his yakuza grandfather starts putting on the heat regarding the family business, he runs straight into the arms of the masculine beauty!

MY DEER FRIEND NOKOTAN VOL 2 GN

MY ISEKAI LIFE VOL 2 GN

NIGHTS WITH A CAT VOL 1 GN

10628744680?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: kyuryuZ | Yen Press | $15.00

When Fuuta comes home tired at night, all he wants to do is spend time with his new cat. All the mysterious habits and mannerisms of house cats are carefully reproduced in this relaxed and cute comedy about living with an adorable furball!

PERFECT WORLD VOL 12 GN

SCATTERING HIS VIRGIN BLOOM VOL 2 GN

SHADOWS HOUSE VOL 1 GN $13.00

SOMETHING’S WRONG WITH US VOL 9 GN

SOUL EATER PERFECT EDITION VOL 7 GN

A WITCH’S PRINTING OFFICE VOL 6

THE WORLD’S BEST ASSASSIN REINCARNATED ANOTHER WORLD VOL 3 GN

MORE FOR KIDS
    I LIKE TO READ COMICS: MEET THE SUPER DUPER SEVEN GN

JOJO’S SWEET ADVENTURES VOL 2: TERRIFIC TIME TWIST GN

KUNG FU LEGUME #1

MY LIFE BEYOND NEUROFIBROMATOSIS GN

NIGHTMARE BRIGADE VOL 2: INTO THE WOODS GN

TWIN CITIES GN

• "I found Dreamer to be one of the least interesting characters on Supergirl. But maybe that's just me."

Nope, not just you.

"Do we still live in a 'hyper-masculine world'?"

Not since Alan Alda.

"That's a  lot of words!"

...and I didn't read 'em. The acronym (if that's what it is) of this series reminds me of that body spray.

PS ARTBOOKS: That Frankenstein slipcase is now past due. I expected it in this batch.

• Hmmm, Children of Doom appeared in #2 of Charlton Premiere, cover dated November 1967.  Denny O’Neil would be 15 in 1954.  That would put him in Jim Shooter territory for starting a comic book writing career.

PS MAGAZINE: CHILDREN OF DOOM #2

10392852500?profile=RESIZE_710x10392854286?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Denny O'Neil | Art: Pat Boyette | 36 Pages | $16.99

Featuring work by DENNY O'Neil and PAT BOYETTE.

Charlton's Children of Doom, by Sergius O'Shaugnessy (Denny O'Neil) and the late great Pat Boyette, is a full-length comic book story with a blend of full-color and black-and-white pages. The adventure, featuring a holocaust, space and time travel, with more than a few mutants wandering around, is a compelling story, especially given the period it was produced in and the audience it was aimed at. Very much a product of the Cold War era, with a rather obvious Dr. Strangelovereference as the world faces an uncertain future in the age of the atom bomb.

Enter some scientists with a Doomsday Machine which they bury in the Earth to stop mankind using nuclear weapons and an Eastern Nation seeking to take advantage — when only disaster awaits. Reproduced completely from cover to cover — if you've never read this beauty, it's well worth adding to your collection!

This issue covers Charlton’s Children of Doom #2 (September 1954).

• I didn't know Denny O'Neil was working in comics as early as 1954.

• 10633289253?profile=RESIZE_710x

the signature does say “after Bob Kane!”—I can’t make out the rest.

• Dave Palmer said:

Hmmm, Children of Doom appeared in #2 of Charlton Premiere, cover dated November 1967.  Denny O’Neil would be 15 in 1954.  That would put him in Jim Shooter territory for starting a comic book writing career.

Evidently, that Charlton Premiere issue was the first place this story appeared, according to the Grand Comics Database. PS Artbooks is just wrong.

• Dave Palmer said:

10633289253?profile=RESIZE_710x

the signature does say “after Bob Kane!”—I can’t make out the rest.

Diamond says it's Rodney Buchemi.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

"I found Dreamer to be one of the least interesting characters on Supergirl. But maybe that's just me."

Nope, not just you.

"Do we still live in a 'hyper-masculine world'?"

Not since Alan Alda.

"That's a  lot of words!"

...and I didn't read 'em. The acronym (if that's what it is) of this series reminds me of that body spray.

PS ARTBOOKS: That Frankenstein slipcase is now past due. I expected it in this batch.

OK, "not since Alan Alda" made me laugh.

I'm relieved to hear you haven't seen the slipcase yet, either. I was afraid I'd missed it. I've ordered from Westfield through August, and they still haven't listed it.

• I don't have much to add, but, BARBARIC: THE HARVEST BLADES ONE SHOT  the original Barbraic series was hilarious. I highly recommend it. I'm sure this one-shot is great as well.

This reply was deleted.