COMICS-RELATED

Aquaman: King of Atlantis

"Chapter Three: Tidal Shift"

It's Aquaman’s first day on the job as King of Atlantis and he’s got a LOT of catching up to do. Luckily, he has his two royal advisors to back him up — Vulko, the scholar, and Mera, the water controlling warrior-princess. Between dealing with unscrupulous surface dwellers, elder evils from beyond time and his own half-brother who wants to overthrow him, Aquaman is going to have to rise to the challenge and prove to his subjects, and to himself, that he’s the right man for the throne!

Superman: The Complete Animated Series Blu-ray

This Blu-ray set collects the 1990s animated Superman series by Bruce Timm, et al. It streets Oct. 26.

CLICK HERE for more information.

THE TOP FIVE

AQUAMAN/GREEN ARROW: DEEP TARGET #1 (OF 7)

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Brandon Thomas Art: Ronan Cliquet | Cover: Marco Santucci

Celebrating the 80th Anniversary of Aquaman and Green Arrow! The shadowy organization known as Scorpio has resurfaced, and it’s larger than before. While looting the past for artifacts and treasure, they have somehow altered the timeline, and only Aquaman and Green Arrow can fix it! Celebrating the 80th Anniversaries of Aquaman and Green Arrow, this high-octane story takes this unlikely pair from the depths of Atlantis to the surface world.

CC sez: I remember the first and probably only Green Arrow/Aquaman team-up I read, in some reprint comic or other. It came from the 1950s, when both were backup strips in long-gone titles like World's Finest and Adventure, a long-running arrangement that forever linked the characters in my mind. (Also that both wear secondary colors.) The thing is, it wasn't really a team-up so much as a crossover, in that the characters' villains decided to switch heroes in the hopes of a different outcome than getting caught and going to jail. Needless to say, water-based Aquaman found a way to defeat GA's land-based villains, and vice-versa. Both heroes cameoed in the other's story at the end to congratulate the headliner on his success.

Not much of a team-up, hey? But then, how do you team up characters who require different environments to function? Maybe this series has found the answer.

BETTER ANGELS: A KATE WARNE ADVENTURE OGN

BOOM! | $19.99

Story: Jeff Jenson | Art/Cover: George Schall

Everyone knows the tragic assassination of Abraham Lincoln, but what about the foiled attempt in his first year of presidency? In 1861, America's greatest detective saved the life of her country's greatest president ... this is her true story.

At a time when the American experiment was at a crossroads, and the man tasked with healing the nation was under constant threat, only one detective was armed with the extraordinary cleverness and versatility to thwart the attempt on his life.

Her name was Kate Warne — America's first woman detective.

Eisner Award-winning writer Jeff Jensen (Green River Killer: A True Detective Story, HBO's Watchmen) and acclaimed artist George Schall (Made In Korea, Chasing Echoes) present the stunning story of the one detective who forever changed the course of American history, perfect for fans of Pulp and Velvet.

CC sez: I learned about this in school or on my own somewhere back when I was a tyke. Some four or five decades later, I could use a refresher course!

DC VS. VAMPIRES #1 (OF 12)

DC Comics | 32 pages | $3.99

Story: James Tynion IV, Matthew Rosenberg | Art/Cover: Otto Schmidt | Variants: Francesco Mattina, Jorge Molina, Ejikure

The Justice League has long protected Earth from all manner of foreign and alien invaders over the years, always keeping a vigilant eye to the skies for the next threat. But what if the threat was already walking the Earth … hiding in plain sight … watching … waiting for their moment to strike. … In the tradition of DCeased comes a terrifying new series from the twisted minds of James Tynion IV (Nice House on the Lake; Something is Killing the Children), Matthew Rosenberg (The Joker Presents: A Puzzlebox; 4 Kids Walk Into A Bank; Hawkeye), and Otto Schmidt (Future State: Catwoman) that will tear the Justice League apart in their war with the undead!

CC sez: I guess the lesson DC learned from DCeased is that turning half of your heroes into classic monsters sells comics. Next I expect Werewolves of Gotham, Supermummy and Wonderstein.

HELLBOY: THE SILVER LANTERN CLUB #1 (OF 5)

Dark Horse | 32 pages | $3.99

Story: Christopher Mitten, Mike Mignola, Chris Roberson | Art: Ben Stenbeck | Cover: Christopher Mitten, Mike Mignola

“Who stood against the forces of darkness in the days long before Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.?"

This October, Dark Horse Comics will debut Hellboy: The Silver Lantern Club, an all-new 5-issue comic book series by legendary Hellboy creator Mike Mignola and bestselling iZombie co-creator Chris Roberson, featuring art by Christopher Mitten and Ben Stenbeck, with colors by Michelle Madsen. Each stand-alone issue of the series focuses on a different Victorian occult investigator who battled evil years before Hellboy was on the scene.

"Over the years readers have gotten to know a few of the people who investigated the occult and supernatural long before Hellboy and the B.P.R.D., like the Witchfinder himself, Sir Edward Grey, and the globetrotting Sarah Jewell,” said Chris Roberson. “But Sir Edward and Sarah were just two members of the Silver Lantern Club, a group of occult investigators who met regularly in a London tavern to swap stories over drinks. In Hellboy: The Silver Lantern Club Hellboy and Professor Bruttenholm take a break from an ongoing investigation to meet up with the professor’s Uncle Simon at that same tavern, who was a member of the club himself, to hear stories of the glory days."

In the debut issue, Hellboy learns about the mysteries of an exorcism gone wrong and more when his occult investigator relative reveals secretive and perilous adventures of one of the Hellboy Universe’s most mysterious societies. Silver Lantern Club member Simon Bruttenholm relates a tale from the dawn of radio, in which Sir Edward Grey and Sarah Jewel go toe to toe with ... technology?

Each issue will follow Hellboy and Trevor Bruttenholm, drawn by Stenbeck, as they hear a new occult adventure from the Silver Lantern Club’s history, drawn by Mitten.

CC sez: If it's Hellboy, I'm there. (Well, for the Library Edition, anyway.)

TWO MOONS #6

Image | Mature | $3.99

Story: John Arcudi | Art: Valerio Giangiordano, Giovanna Niro | Covers Valerio Giangiordano & Crabtree, Ryan Sook

"GHOST WAR," Part One

Bestselling writer John Arcudi (Rumble, B.P.R.D.) and fan-favorite artist Valerio Giangiordano’s popular historical horror series Two Moons will kick off a new story arc this October. Two Moons #6 will begin the next chapter in the hit series and will land on shelves from Image Comics just in time for Halloween and provide the perfect entry point for new readers to jump onto the series.

“The so-called 'Indian Wars' devastated the Indigenous Peoples of the American Plains, so this had to be a part of Two Moons’ story: the aftermath of those wars. How do the Plains People endure? What is their path forward after all this? That’s where this arc takes us," said Arcudi.

After years apart, Frances Shaw (now a medical doctor) and Virgil Two Moons (now a Pawnee shaman) are once again drawn to each other on the eve of an impending crisis in Two Moons #6.

Giangiordano added: "This new story arc allows me to discover and study more and more of the fascinating culture of Native Americans that I did not know. For me it is a fantastic experience to bring this 'world' to life."

Select praise for Two Moons:

“A seamless meld between bombastic war story and supernatural terror.” — Comic Book Resources

“A gritty and nuanced addition to the historical fiction horror genre.” — Multiversity Comics

“Filled with hooks and compelling characters.” — AiPT! Comics

“Will sneak up on you with its dark intricacies.” — Graphic Policy

CC sez: I'm not reading this Weird Western, but I'm sorely tempted. This press release increases that temptation.

OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #77

Marvel | Teen | $3.99

Story: Kelly Thompson | Art: Sara Pichelli | Cover: Arthur Adams | Beyond Board: Saladin Ahmed, Cody Ziglar, Patrick Gleason, Zeb Wells, Kelly Thompson

An all-star creative team is set to take AMAZING SPIDER-MAN beyond your wildest expectations! This new era will see bold changes brought to the Spider-Man mythos, beginning with the return of Ben Reilly. Fans can see him joining forces with Peter Parker on the newly revealed cover of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #75. But as the cover of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #76 shows, this Spider team-up won’t last long and Peter Parker may be taking his final web-swing. What villain did the unthinkable and took Peter down? And is Ben Reilly, last seen operating as the Scarlet Spider, really fit to take over?

Last week, Marvel announced that a team of superstar writers will assemble this October for a brand new run of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN. Zeb Wells, Kelly Thompson, Saladin Ahmed, Cody Ziglar, and Patrick Gleason have crafted a saga beyond anything that’s come before in Spider-Man history, and the soon-to-be thrice-monthly series will boast an all-star team of amazing artists.

Here's what Editor Nick Lowe had to say about this upcoming era:

“When we started building ‘Beyond’ we knew we had to pull out all the stops from the artistic side. That began with making sure Patrick Gleason was with us from the get-go as a writer AND an artist. His recent webhead covers have rocked the industry showing yet another element to the incredible career that we all saw on display during his run on Amazing Spider-Man. He quickly stepped up to be our artistic cornerstone, but we also needed to make sure that whoever else joined him were elite talents.

“Sara Pichelli is an absolute legend, creating some of the most impactful work of the last ten years. It’s crazy to think this will be her first time drawing Amazing Spider-Man, and she’s already blown us away with her masterful work. Michael Dowling’s work on Unfollow and other works got him hired for Black Cat, but his work there showed us that he would be an absolute superstar, and his issues are already blowing our minds. And then, to be able to land Arthur Adams as our cover artist. I mean, from his classic X-Men Annuals to today, Arthur has defined the Marvel Universe visually as much as almost anyone. So to have him here? I’m beyond excited. And wait until we reveal the rest of our all-star roster!”

CC sez: "Sinister War" has ended, but the press releases have not.

BLACK WIDOW #12

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Kelly Thompson | Art: Elena Casagrande | Cover: Adam Hughes

THE BLACK WIDOW FEARS NO MAN ... BUT HIM!

Black Widow’s life has never been more dangerous! Writer Kelly Thompson and artist Elena Casagrande’s have taken the hero into a deadly new era filled with new and old enemies in their action-packed run on BLACK WIDOW. Luckily, Natasha has recruited powerful allies including Yelena Belova, Anya Corazon, and a mysterious newcomer named Lucy to help her save San Francisco from Apogee and whatever comes next!

In BLACK WIDOW #12, Black Widow and her team have stumbled into some high-society crime nonsense, which requires formal wear to investigate. Everyone will be looking their best as they deal with the worst. But when a haunting figure from Natasha’s past re-emerges … the game has officially been changed.

CC sez: I tradewait BW almost regardless of quality, but this series really looks good.

DRACULA: SON OF THE DRAGON TPB

Dark Horse | $19.99

Story: Mark Sable | Art/Cover: Salgood Sam

A blood-soaked epic of the real-life Vlad the Impaler's transformation into the vampire Dracula. Part historical fiction, part horror fantasy, this graphic novel is brought to you by writer Mark Sable (The Dark, Graveyard of Empires, Unthinkable) and artist Salgood Sam (Dream Life, Therefore Repent, Sea of Red).

Based on the real-life story of Vlad the Impaler. Collects the original digital series.

CC sez: Does the world need another re-telling of the Vlad Tepes-to-Dracula story? I was thrilled by the first couple I read in the '70s, but I think I've had enough.

THE HARBINGER #1

Valiant | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing | Art: Robbi Rodriguez | Colors: Rico Renzi | Letters: Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou | Covers: Robbi Rodriguez, Rod Reis, Cris Delara, Damion Scott, Robbi Rodriguez (1/250 Metal variant), Travis Escarfullery

Can you make the world better if you can’t be better?

A telepath with no memory. A city of superpowered teenagers suppressed.

Redemption. Destruction. Rebirth. A new era of HARBINGER begins here.

Valiant Entertainment is proud to present an extended preview of the debut issue that AIPT's Dave Brooke calls "a visual collision of cyberpunk and superhero storytelling."  

Peter Stanchek — one of the most powerful psiots on the planet, gifted with immense telepathic and telekinetic abilities — will journey from being the most feared man in the world to becoming one of its greatest protectors. In this preview readers will witness how the world views Peter, a display of his incredible powers, and be introduced to Psiot City.

CC sez: Of all the O.G. Valiant titles, I was least interested in Harbingers, which didn't really have a strong hook. I don't think reducing the title to just Peter Stanchek will up my interest. And I'm not into that art at all.

HELLBOY OMNIBUS BOXED SET TPB

Dark Horse | 1,600 pages | $99.96

Story: Mike Mignola, John Byrne | Art: Duncan Fegredo, Gary Gianni, Richard Corbin | Art/Cover: Mike Mignola

In 1994 Mike Mignola released the first Hellboy series, Seed of Destruction, and introduced the world to the Right Hand of Doom, the Bureau for Paranormal Research and Defense, and one of the most iconic comic book characters — and universes — of all time.

This fall Dark Horse Comics will publish the HELLBOY OMNIBUS COLLECTION BOXED SET, available in a specially designed box set for the first time and featuring all-new slipcase art by Mignola and award-winning colorist Dave Stewart. The HELLBOY OMNIBUS COLLECTION BOXED SET features all four Hellboy series TPB omnibuses (Seed of Destruction; Strange Places; The Wild Hunt; and Hellboy in Hell), which were previously available only as individual volumes.

CC sez: Just in case, somehow, you haven't read the entire Hellboy saga yet.

HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER #1

BOOM! | $3.99

Story: James Tynion IV, Tate Brombal | Art: Werther Dell'Edera | Art/Cover: Chris Shehan

Discover the inner workings of the House of Slaughter in this new horror series exploring the secret history of the Order that forged Erica Slaughter into the monster hunter she is today.

You know Aaron Slaughter as Erica's handler and rival. But before he donned the black mask, Aaron was a teenager training within the House of Slaughter.

Surviving within the school is tough enough, but it gets even more complicated when Aaron falls for a mysterious boy destined to be his competition.

Dive deeper into the world of Something is Killing the Children in this first story arc by co-creator James Tynion IV (The Department of Truth, The Nice House on the Lake) and co-writer Tate Brombal (Barbalien), with art by rising star Chris Shehan (The Autumnal) and co-creator Werther Dell'Edera (Razorblades).

CC sez: I'm not reading Something Is Killing the Children, so I'm not apt to read this spin-off. It tells the origin of Erica Slaughter, the mysterious monster-hunter in the parent title.

M.O.M. MOTHER OF MADNESS #3

Image Comics | $4.99

Story: Emilia Clarke, Marguerite Bennett | Art: Leila Leiz | Covers: Jo Ratcliffe, Emi Lenox, Caitlin Yarsky, Jo Ratcliffe (1:25 virgin copy incentive), Emi Lenox (1:50 virgin copy incentive), Leila Leiz (1:100 virgin copy incentive)

Game of Thrones superstar EMILIA CLARKE concludes the FINAL ISSUE of an OVERSIZED THREE-ISSUE MINISERIES! Maya's son was kidnapped by the treacherous traffickers, and now it's up to her and her misfit mob of BFFs-if she can escape her enemies and her past! Who's gonna clean up this mess?!

"I am so proud of all the incredible artists who have joined me in creating M.O.M.," said Clarke. "Their individual visions have elevated M.O.M. to the next level! What wondrous women!"

CC sez: I have a prejudice against celebrities writing comics, because being good (or just famous) at one thing doesn't usually translate to being good at an entirely unrelated field, and I resent "outsiders" using comics as a hobby horse. So I'm not going to read this book, no matter how many press releases they send. But don't let me stop you, if you don't share my prejudice. After all, like all prejudices, mine is irrational. At least I admit it.

NOCTURNALS OMNIBUS HC

Dark Horse | $29.99

Story/Art/Cover: Daniel Brereton

The Nocturnals revolves around the mysterious quest of underworld enforcer and occult figure, Doc Horror; his supernaturally-gifted daughter Evening (aka Halloween Girl) who carries a pumpkin full of haunted toys; the Gunwitch, a silent, two-gun revenant with an itch to kill monsters; the lissome wraith Polychrome, and a host of hard-boiled inhuman players battling hidden evils lurking on the outskirts of human knowledge.

Collects the previously published Nocturnals volumes: Black Planet, Witching Hour, Carnival of Beasts and Troll Bridge.

CC sez: Brereton strikes me as one of those eccentric artists whose work doesn't inspire middling responses — you either love it or hate it. I fall on the "love it" side, but even I wonder if I can read this much Brereton at a sitting before I tire of everyone wearing outrageous eye-liner.

THREE FOR THE MONEY AND OTHER STORIES

Fantagraphics | $35.00

By Jack Kamen, Al Feldstein & Ray Bradbury

This volume of the New York Times' bestselling series of superbly restored, classic crime and horror EC Comics re-presents the work of Jack Kamen, Al Feldstein and Ray Bradbury.

Grand Master crime novelist Max Allan Collins (Road to Perdition) introduces these tales, which include the infamous "The Orphan" — one of the stories that got EC Comics into hot water during the U.S. Senate's investigation into comic books. "The October Game" is adapted from the chilling classic short story by Ray Bradbury. A gruesome look at a malevolent Halloween party game perpetrated by a man who believes the child of his unfaithful wife is not his. In "Frozen Assets!," a woman and her lover seal her still-living husband in a chest freezer. "Standing Room Only" — a brother murders his twin sister and her husband, and disguises himself as her so he can inherit their estate. But then the estate lawyer makes a play for the "widow" ... "Three for the Money" — A woman finds her husband dead — with a knife in his back and a bullet in his head. The police arrest two suspects — but to get a conviction, they must determine who acted first. Who actually committed the murder, and who stabbed or shot a man who was already dead?

Like every book in The Fantagraphics EC Artists' Library, Three For The Money And Other Stories also features essays and notes by EC experts on these superbly crafted, classic masterpieces.

CC sez: Some Legionnaires collect these, so here's a heads up.

TIME BEFORE TIME #6

Image | Mature | $3.99

Story: Declan Shalvey, Rory McConville | Art: Chris O'Halloran | Art/Cover: Declan Shalvey | Variant: Mike Del Mundo

Bestselling series Time Before Time by Declan Shalvey, Rory McConville and Joe Palmer will kick off a new story arc this November from Image Comics, but in October Time Before Time #6 will tell a standalone story — drawn by Shalvey and featuring a 1994-themed variant by Mike Del Mundo.

"Time Before Time #6 is a one-shot story set in 1994, featuring the return of Oscar, (Tatsuo's old partner) on a mission taking place before the events of #1. Yeah, you heard me ... this is why time-travel stories are so much fun!” said Shalvey. “Everyone on the book has been blown away by the brilliant response to Time Before Time since #1 came out, it's been amazing. While Rory and I were talking about where our second arc would go, I thought it might be fun to do a self-contained story outside of our main Tatsuo/Nadia storyline, to flesh out the world around our characters a bit more. I warmed to the idea so much that I decided it would be great fun to draw it myself. I'm really enjoying playing in the world that I've been co-writing with Rory, feeding off the fantastic work Joe Palmer has been doing issue after issue. I'm hoping this could be a great jumping on point for anyone who might be curious about the series, but missed out on getting #1. I feel there's a time travel joke in here somewhere but I'm drawing a blank.”

In Time Before Time #6, Oscar Gomez is on the hunt for a Syndicate deserter hiding out in the year 1994. Can he rely on the local Syndicate network to track the deserter down?

CC sez: I'm not reading this series, although I feel I should. If you're like me, here's a standalone story to get a feel for it.

WALKING DEAD DELUXE #25

Image | Mature | $3.99

Story: Robert Kirkman | Art: Charlie Adlard | Covers: David Finch, Andrei Bressan & Adriano Lucas (Interconnected variants)

Rick and Glenn venture outside the prison, and what they find will change this series FOREVER.

It’s time to meet ... The Governor.

These all-new covers will appear as variants to The Walking Dead Deluxe #25-30, with each issue presenting the iconic series in full color format for the first time from creator Robert Kirkman, with art by Charlie Adlard and colors by Dave McCaig. Fans will also receive a new look at the worldwide pop culture phenomenon like never before with exclusive “Cutting Room Floor” commentary, revelations, pinups and more from Kirkman celebrating the secret history of the series.

CC sez: Man, they're going all out to get me to buy this series. Won't do it. Nope, nope, nope. Got it too many formats already.

EVENTS/CROSSOVERS

BATMAN/FORTNITE

BATMAN/FORTNITE: FOUNDATION #1 ONE-SHOT

DC Comics | $4.99

Story: Scott Snyder, Christos Gage, Donald Mustard | Art:Joshua Nixson | Cover: Greg Capullo, Jonathan Glapion

Directly from the bestselling, groundbreaking Batman/Fortnite: Zero Point miniseries, comes an oversized one-shot that brings the action from the island to Gotham City. If you thought the Batman/Fortnite saga was over, think again ... it only gets bigger from here! Each physical copy of the comic includes a bonus code to download a special Batman Who Laughs player Outfit and exclusive Batman Who Laughs-themed Fortnite Loading Screen.

CC sez: For you gamers.

DARKHOLD

DARKHOLD: BLADE #1 ONE-SHOT

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Daniel Kibblesmith | Art: Federico Sabbatini | Cover: Juan Ferreyra

THE KING OF DEATH!

Are you fanged, or are you food? The world is divided into humans and vampires - and Blade, the one who walks between them both ... and kills with equal impunity.

After reading from the cursed Darkhold, Blade attempts to enter Chthon’s dimension and stop the ancient god from destroying the Multiverse. But reading the book has changed all their lives and histories …and for Blade, the consequences are far-reaching. Vampires rule the world, and he rules over them all. But there are some heroes left — and Blade is not as omniscient as he thinks.

CC sez: They're really trying to bump Blade up into an A-lister, aren't they? As an old Tomb of Dracula reader, he'll always have the whiff of a supporting character to me.

FEAR STATE

DETECTIVE COMICS #1044

DC Comics | $4.99

Story: Mariko Tamaki, Stephanie Phillips | Art: Dan Mora, David Lapham | Cover: Dan Mora

When the terrorist organization known as THE RED CROWN took control of Mayor Nakano’s personal security detail, only the Batman could protect Gotham’s highest-ranking city official from certain death! But when the pair is thrust into the sewers below, a much more sinister threat lurks in the darkness. Better look sharp, Batman, because a hundred thousand eggs with a hundred thousand little monsters inside are about to hatch … and they look HUNGRY…

Back-up: Arkham Asylum may have been decimated during A-DAY, but its legacy lives on. Now, Mayor Nakano has given the green light for a brand-new ARKHAM TOWER to be erected in the heart of Gotham City, and some strange and horrific things are going down at the construction site. Don’t miss this epic kick-off to a story arc that will shape the Batman universe for years to come!

CC sez: More Fear State.

HARLEY QUINN #8

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Stephanie Phillips | Art/Cover: Riley Rossmo

Sorry, Harley’s not here right now, but this is her trusted sidekick Kevin, and I’m happy to be keeping watch over the streets of Gotham. The city’s gone a little crazy with the Magistrate’s forces cracking down. I just hope that Harley’s mission to Alley Town with Catwoman and the Gardener is successful in finding the missing piece of Poison Ivy that could be the very key to saving Gotham. In the meantime, I’ll help put fires out around Gotham … literally … and I might get some unexpected help in the process! Fear State part two continues here!

CC sez: It's taken me eight issues, but I have officially decided that I don't like this art.

HALLOWEEN

HALLOWEEN COMIC BOOK EXTRAVAGANZA

MARVEL'S HALLOWEEN CELEBRATION RETURNS WITH MARVEL HALLOWEEN COMIC BOOK EXTRAVAGANZA!

Pick up MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #1, HAWKEYE #1, STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC #1, and DAREDEVIL #28 at your local shop on October 27!

On October 27th, visit your local participating comic shop for MARVEL HALLOWEEN COMIC BOOK EXTRAVAGANZA! The Halloween retailer event is back, giving fans a chance to pick up copies of best-selling comics starring some of Marvel’s hottest characters.

Swing into the latest adventures of Miles Morales in MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #1, the beginning of Saladin Ahmed and Javier Garrón’s critically acclaimed run on the mega-popular Brooklyn-based Spider-Man. Catch up with Kate Bishop ahead of her big debut in HAWKEYE #1 by writer Kelly Thompson and artist Leonardo Romero. Enter the golden age of the Jedi in STAR WARS: THE HIGH REPUBLIC #1, the hit series by writer Cavan Scott and artist Ario Anindito that takes readers into the new era of Star Wars storytelling. And witness the rise of a new Daredevil in DAREDEVIL #28, the start of a new arc in Chip Zdarsky and Marco Checchetto’s Eisner-nominated run that sees Elektra take over as the protector of Hell’s Kitchen. All four of these stellar issues serve as perfect entry points for newcomers to the Marvel Universe and True Believers alike!

CC sez: Halloween Comic Fest — a sort of mini-Free Comic Book Day that usually takes place the last week of October — has been canceled this year. Diamond says on its website that the cancellation is due to Halloween coming too close on the heels of the pandemic-delayed FCBD.

Presumably Marvel was too far into production to reverse course, because it has announced "Halloween Comic Book Extravaganza," and is releasing its four Halloween Comic Fest books under that banner.

HELLCOP #1 HALLOWEEN 3D SPECIAL

Image | Mature | $7.99

Story: Brian Haberlin | Art/Cover: Brian Haberlin, Geirrod Van Dyke

Celebrate the holiday with a 3D version of HELLCOP #1, including an exclusive Halloween-themed cover and a lovingly rendered full-color 3D interior. Comes bagged with 3D glasses.

CC sez: I think this is the regular book that came out earlier this month, just with a special cover.

TASK FORCE Z #1

DC Comics | 32 pages | $3.99 regular, $4.99 card stock

Story: Matthew Rosenberg | Art: Eddy Barrows | Inks: Eber Ferreira | Covers: Eddy Barrows, Tyler Kirkham, Dan Mora (1:25 Variant), Rodolfo Migliari (Retailer Team variant), Kyle Hotz (1:50 Arkham Knight Variant), Kyle Hotz (1:100 Mono-Chrome Variant)

In life, they’ve terrorized the people of Gotham. Now, they are Gotham’s last hope. Task Force X saw villains working their way to freedom. Task Force Z will see dead villains working for a new chance at life! On A-DAY, the attack on Arkham Asylum left hundreds of Gotham’s most cunning and deranged criminals dead … now, a mysterious benefactor has activated the government’s TASK FORCE clause to bring them back as the ultimate army of the night! To lead this team of the undead, only a person who knows exactly what it feels like to be brutally murdered and brought back to life can handle the job … enter: RED HOOD. But when Jason Todd unravels the mystery surrounding Task Force Z’s creation, will he try to destroy it …or embrace it? BANE. MAN-BAT. THE ARKHAM KNIGHT. SUNDOWNER. MR. BLOOM. RED HOOD. THEY ARE TASK FORCE Z, AND DEATH WAS JUST THE BEGINNING...!

CC sez: Not really a Halloween book, but it felt appropriate to put it here. Anyway, we all knew that the criminals who died at Arkham wouldn't stay that way. So here's how they're coming back, apparently.

VICTOR CROWLEY'S HATCHET HALLOWEEN III #1

American Mythology | Mature | $3.99

Story: James Kuhoric, S.A. Check, Mike Federalli | Art: Puis Calzada, Ev Cantada, Alexander Banchitta | Cover: Roy Allen Martinez

It's back ... the annual Halloween event of the year!  Return to Honey Island Swamp with three new tales of All Hallows' Eve! Blood flows and bodies rot in the swamp.  And the tortured spirit of Victor Crowley continues to dole out brutal violent retribution upon those that dare to enter his domain. This time of year the spirits of the dead are close and they return from Purgatory to try to take back some measure of vengeance!  Join a host of horror writers and artists as we deliver a dose of glorious over-the-top horror that will get your Halloween off to a great start!  Victor Crowley's Hatchet Halloween III comes with three cover editions — Main "The Dead Rise" by Roy Allan Martinez (Zorro: Swords of Hell), "Jack's Back" Variant by Richard Bonk (Hatchet), and "Don't Lose Your Head" cover by Puis Calzada (Hatchet).

CC sez: This is annual? I haven't noticed it before.

WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS

STAR WARS DARTH VADER #17

Marvel | Teen | $3.99

Story: Greg Pak | Art: Raffaele Ienco | Cover: Ron Frenz

"JUST REWARDS"

Throughout the search for HAN SOLO, DARTH VADER has carved his way through shadows, unraveling mysteries cloaked in deceptions and betrayal. Now Vader finally takes care of all his business in this blockbuster conclusion to the WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS story arc. But is he the true master of betrayal in this tale? Or is there another?

CC sez: Don't panic! "War of the Bounty Hunters" is well and truly over (until Part II). These books were just delayed from last week, presumably by the nationwide paper shortage.

STAR WARS WAR BOUNTY HUNTERS IG-88 #1

Marvel | Teen | $4.99

Story: Woo Chul Lee | Art: Guiu Vilanova | Cover: Mahmud A. Asrar

NO ONE CAN DEFEAT IG-88! WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS TIE-IN!

IG-88 is an advanced assassin droid designed for death, destruction, and mayhem. Its weapons systems are unparalleled, its design flawless. Yet the galaxy's most sinister droid bounty hunter can still fail. What motivates IG-88's resurrection time and time again? Is it programming or something... more? And can IG-88 find a strategy to overcome its old foe, Boba Fett?! Rodney Barnes' and Guiu Vilanova's one-shot is the fourth of four action-packed

"War of the Bounty Hunters" tie-ins about the criminal underworld's most notorious hunters and scoundrels, all told by the best STAR WARS writers and illustrators in the galaxy.

WONDER WOMAN 80TH ANNIVERSARY

WONDER GIRL #4

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Joelle Jones | Art/Cover: Joelle Jones, Adriana Melo

Who are the Esquecida? With her physical training in full swing, Yara must now look inward. Her childhood in Brazil has always been a mystery, spoken of in hushed tones by her aunt and uncle. What were they not telling her? The answers lie in the Amazon rain forest. But is this young hero ready for the truth? Plus, the two heroes hot on Yara's trail have finally found their target!

CC sez: We should be at Wonder Girl #6 by now, but it's getting obvious that Joelle Jones can't write and draw a book every month. That's OK. I'd be fine with bimonthly or quarterly, as long as I get Jones on a regular basis.

WONDER WOMAN: BLACK & GOLD #5 (OF 6)

DC Comics | $5.99

Story: Peter J. Tomasi, Kurt Busiek, Sanya Anwar, Sherri L. Smith, Trung Le Nguyen, Josie Campbell | Art: Christian Alamy, Ben Dewey, Sanya Anwar, Colleen Doran, Trung Le Nguyen, Carlos D’anda.

Prepare to be whisked away with an Amazon fairy tale, flown back to World War II, swept up in a nautical ghost story, and blasted by a bitter space princess! Don’t miss the penultimate issue of this golden moment for Diana and her legacy!

CC sez: That cover cracked me up. I'll bet Wonder Woman has heard some weird truths in her day! How does she have any faith in humanity after knowing what we really think?

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN

BOSTON METAPHYSICAL SOCIETY: GHOSTS & DEMONS ONE-SHOT

Source Point Press | $4.99

Story: Madeleine Holly-Rosing | Art/Cover: Gwynn Tavares

Caitlin and Alma have continued Mary and Frida's work as union organizers, but when Caitlin has a disturbing dream about her childhood friend, Duncan the ghost, she decides to return to Boston to find out what's wrong. Though it is a happy reunion with Samuel and Granville, something much more sinister awaits her and the team.

CC sez: I haven't ready any BMS books, but I like the premise and that cover art is good enough to tempt me into starting.

COMRADE KILL GN

Adhouse Books | Mature | $14.95

Story/Art/Cover: Patrick Sparrow

A Cold War super soldier accidentally wakes from a cryogenic freeze long after the war has ended to find out his existence is now meaningless. Being too dumb to reconcile this he goes out into the wild to satisfy a pointless mission objective that no one asked him to do.

CC sez: What th--?

CROSS TO BEAR #1

Aftershock | $4.99

Story: Marko Stojanovic | Art/Cover: Sinisa Banovic

Jack the Ripper was never caught because no one was looking for him in the Wild West ... no one except The Order. An organization made up of the descendants of Crusaders sworn to eradicate the unnatural, The Order will stop at nothing to fulfill the pledge their forefathers made, even if it means crossing the ocean or a line or two ...

CC sez: Oh, so that's where he went! Makes sense, as that's where murderous Confederates like Quantrill and Jesse James went as well.

DECONSTRUCTING JODOVERSE BOX SET TPB

Humanoids | Mature | $125.00

Story: Alejandro Jodorowsky, Christophe Quillien | Art: Various

Lift the veil on the incredible Sci-Fi universe, full of love, revenge, intrigue, betrayal, and redemption: THE JODOVERSE — created by visionary Alejandro Jodorowsky.

Dive into the Jodoverse's two cornerstone series — THE INCAL and THE METABARONS — with this Limited Deluxe Collector's Slipcased Box Set.

Book One contains DECONSTRUCTING THE INCAL alongside revealing text and rare and unseen preliminary illustrations, as well as the original 56 pages drawn by Mobius of the unfinished first version of the sequel story (AFTER THE INCAL).

Book Two features the second reference guide to the Jodoverse, DECONSTRUCTING THE METABARONS, and WEAPONS OF THE METABARON, the seminal series' spin-off story recounting how the mightiest warrior in the universe built his arsenal of war and featuring A-list comics star Travis Charest's (Wildcats, WildC.A.T.s/X-Men: The Golden Age, and Star Wars comics covers) interpretation of The Metabarons' mythology.

CC sez: This will make a nice companion to the Jodorowsky Library, whose first volume came out last week.

GRIMM TALES FROM THE CAVE GN

Mad Cave Studios | $19.99

Story: Cullen Bunn, Mark London, Various | Art: Andrea Mutti, Luisa Russo, Various

With two all-original 20-page stories; one from writer Cullen Bunn with art by Andrea Mutti and the other from Mark London with art by Luisa Russo, Mad Cave's first ever horror anthology uses Grimm's Fairy Tales as inspiration. In addition to industry stars like Christopher Sebela, Nadia Shammas and Stephanie Phillips, this haunting anthology will feature over ten terrifying tales including three from the winners of Mad Cave's 2020 talent search.

CC sez: In retrospect, wouldn't it have been cooler if this publisher had named itself Plato's Cave?

IMPURE GN

Scout Comics | $14.99

Story: Ralf Singh | Art: Various | Cover: Hannes Radke, Ralf Singh

When Castor, homeworld to the siblings Nero and Minerva, is destroyed by aliens, they decide to join the dreaded Impure, living weapons who are created by merging elite soldiers with god-like beings. When Minerva unexpectedly betrays her brother and all they ever believed in, it falls to Nero to stop his sister before she reaches the alien alliance. Can he stop her before what she stole can turn the tides of war and spell humanity's downfall?

CC sez: That's a lot of familiar names, but they don't seem to hang together in any way that makes a proper historical allusion. (Castor was a Greek mortal turned into a star, Nero was a Roman emperor and Minerva was a Greek goddess.) And come to think of it, who names their kid Nero? That's like naming him Hitler or Dillinger.

IVANHOE BACKUS GN

Black Panel Press | $26.99

Story/Art/Cover: Nicolas Andre

The life of young Ivanhoe Backus is marked by his work in the vineyard, which his father, Gaspard, religiously continues in the tradition of his ancestors. To do this sacred work, Gaspard Backus has one precious possession: a magnificent oak barrel bequeathed to him by his elders. This year, a new custom takes place — Ivanhoe is now old enough to help his father. Tradition demands that the son of the winemaker must enter the barrel to clean it from top to bottom. Unfortunately, nothing goes as planned and Ivanhoe becomes trapped inside. Will the distraught Gaspard break his precious barrel, forsaking the Backus legacy, to free his son?

CC sez: What th--? Part Two. At least we have a preview to see if we like it.

LEONARD COHEN ON A WIRE HC

Drawn & Quarterly | $24.95

Story/Art/Cover: Philippe Girard

Leonard Cohen opens in Los Angeles on the last night of the man's life in 2016. Alone in his final hours, the beloved writer and musician ponders his existence in a series of flashbacks that reveal the ups and downs of a storied career. Written with careful attention to detail and drawn with a palette of warm, lush colors by Quebec-based cartoonist Philippe Girard, Leonard Cohen is an engaging portrait of a cultural icon.

CC sez: Wasn't Philippe Girard the guy chasing David Janssen in The Fugitive? (jk, I know it was Lt. Philip Gerard.) Anyway, if you're a Leonard Cohen fan, this is for you.

MERLIN & HECTOR #1

Red 5 Comics | $3.95

Story: Rodolfo Santullo | Art: Jok

Before King Arthur, before Camelot, before Excalibur there was Merlin the swineherd.  A young man of an unexceptional past who has never heard of magic, Merlin is looking at a life of hard work and small comfort, until his farm his attacked one night by rampaging monsters. Only local thief Hector believes him, but when the attacks increase it will be up to these two outcasts to save their village.

CC sez: Merlin the swineherd? Well, that's a new one. Does Mary Stewart know about this? No wonder he wanted to move to Camelot. Less pig-poop.

MORNING TRIBE GN

Sky Pony | $16.99

Story: Bart Davis, Julian Lennon | Art: Alejandra Green, Fanny Rodriguez

When twins Dawn and Dusk, young members of the Amazon rainforest's Morning Tribe, discover that their homeland is being threatened by Global Agricorp mercenaries, they gather their friends and rise to the challenge of protecting it. But young Tom Toll, estranged son of Agricorp's boss, ventures alone into the forest intent on destroying the people of the Morning Tribe, and finds himself in danger. He is saved by Dusk and Dawn and a deep bond forms between them as Tom gains an understanding not only of the forest, but of shared values and a greater global mission. The Morning Tribe's theme and content derive from the work of the White Feather Foundation created in 2007 by Julian Lennon that has been active in the rain forest for more than a decade.

CC sez: Too bad this isn't a true story. Somebody needs to protect the "lungs of the world" before it's too late.

MOST NOTORIOUS TALKER RUNS GREATEST CLAN NOVEL VOL 1 GN

Seven Seas | $14.99

Story/Art/Cover: Sasami Nitori

A cunning, ruthless boy does whatever it takes to leave his mark on the world in this swords-and-sorcery tale! Noel has grown up idolizing his grandfather, a legendary adventurer of the class known as Seekers. But when it comes time for Noel to set out on his own, much to his dismay, he turns out to be a Talker: a support class with meager abilities. But Noel's got ambition in spades — and the smarts to match — so he's determined to do whatever it takes to make the world know his name!

CC sez: As The Fat Man said, "I like a man who likes to talk."

POP STAR ASSASSIN #1 (OF 6)

Behemoth | Mature | $3.99

Story: Ed Lavallee, Matt Cashel | Art/Cover: Marcelo Basile

The year is 1977. The King is dead. The world mourns. But ...

When a mysterious briefcase turns up in his dressing room, Bruce — a coke-addled Elvis impersonator — finds himself wedged between a Mob boss out for revenge and a government conspiracy with far-reaching, world-ending ramifications; all in an attempt to discover the true identity of his father's killer.

It's sex, drugs, rock 'n' robots '70s style in this all-out action adventure.

The year is 1977. The KING IS DEAD - LONG LIVE THE KING!

And who the f*ck is Molly?

CC sez: There just aren't enough Elvis impersonator comics out there.

RED FLOWERS HC

Drawn & Quarterly | $24.95

Story/Art/Cover: Yoshiharu Tsuge

Yoshiharu Tsuge leaves early genre trappings behind, taking a light, humorous approach in these stories based on his own travels. Red Flowers ranges from deep character studies to personal reflections to ensemble comedies set in the hotels and bathhouses of rural Japan. These vital comics inspired a wealth of fictionalized memoir from Tsuge's peers and a desire within the postwar generation to document and understand the diversity of Japan's cultures.

CC sez: Well, this certainly looks interesting.

SWAMP DOGS #1 (of 5)

Scout Comics | $3.99

Story: J M Brandt, Theo Prasidis | Art: Kewber Baal | Cover: Robert Sammelin

Black Caravan Imprint. They came from the swamp ... the scummiest squad of Confederate soldiers, brought back to life by powerful Voodoo magic. They crave power, carnage and female flesh! They are the Swamp Dogs! Now, young lovers Ayana and Violet, and their friends from the goofy stoner metal band The Grunch, will unknowingly fall into their ghoulish nest. Bear witness to a rollicking gorefest straight out of the shocking grindhouse and vengeful blaxploitation of the 1970s, and the cult horror classics of the 1980s ... with a modern twist.

Swamp Dogs will begin with a 5-issue miniseries. Rich Woodall, Co-Publisher of Black Caravan, said “We are really pumped to bring this book to the people. We fell in love with the pitch … and it has so much opportunity to grow and shift in different configurations.” Following the miniseries, Swamp Dogs will tentatively continue in phases that will include multiple ongoing series, future minis and standalone issues. “The book is everything we wanted to represent when we started Black Caravan,” said Joseph Schmalke, Co-Publisher of Black Caravan and CCO of toy division Tracker Collectibles, “And the book is just screaming out for some cool figures. We have some great plans for the merchandising on Swamp Dogs. Really, this book has the chance to be the marquee title for our 2021, and something of a game-changer for us as we continue to grow.”

CC sez: The description sounds interesting, but I'm a little put off by the lesbian pedophilia vibe of the cover.

TWIN MERMAIDS PRINCESSES OF THE SEA #1 (OF 3)

ARH Studios | $3.99

Story: Arahom Radjah | Art/Cover: Daniel Pascual

Daughters of Poseidon, The Twin Mermaids grew up in the sea as two spoiled princesses. One is good and sensitive while the other is a naughty bad girl! Marysha, the dark haired Mermaid has the habit of "borrowing" her father's powerful magical trident without his consent and gets her sister, Sharleze in all sorts of predicaments!

With the power of Poseidon's Trident, Marysha can turn into human and explore the world of men, but it never ends well, and only her sister Sharleze with the help of her older brother, Triton and his magical conch-shell can save her!

CC sez: I’ve never understood why mermaids are supposed to be sexy. I mean, there’s nothing less sexy than fish. Especially since you can’t, you know, actually have sex with them (unless magic is involved). And chances are they’d still smell like fish.

UNDYING QUEEN #1

Arh Studios Inc. | $3.99

Story: Arahom Radjah Cover: Amy Pascale

Mesopotamia, 3000 BCE. It is the dawn of mankind and the age of Arkhalla, the Undying Queen of Ur. In this distant past, the lands of Sumer are ruled by Arkhalla — cursed by the demon god Asag with immortality and feeding on human blood, she rules the world of with an iron grip at the price of her soul and humanity. This is her story.

CC sez: There aren't enough books set in Bronze Age Mesopotamia, either.

WINCHESTER MYSTERY HOUSE #1 (OF 3)

Source Point Press | Mature | $3.99

Story: Joshua Werner | Art/Cover: Dustin Irvin

Thought to be one of the most haunted places in the world, The Winchester Mystery House is much more than an architectural wonder. It's a labyrinth full of secrets. Come step inside and hear the house's whispers ...

Inspired by true events, this masterfully crafted horror tale written by Joshua Werner and beautifully illustrated by Dustin Irvin takes you into the non-stop construction of "the house that spirits built" and its brilliant and mysterious owner, Sarah Winchester.

Chapter One: The Heart of the House

The year is 1886, and after suffering the loss of both her only child and husband, Sarah Winchester has come to California, bringing with her a massive inherited wealth. After buying a small farmhouse on a large plot of land, Sarah sets to work expanding it like a woman possessed. The construction crew's first task will be to build a room that will later become legendary. But something is waking up ...

CC sez: I've read more than a few Winchester Mansion stories as well, but not as many as I have "How Vlad Tepes turned into Dracula" stories. There's still room in my mental hard drive for at least one more.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• HALLOWEEN COMIC BOOK EXTRAVAGANZA:

Three of these things belong together

Three of these things are kinda the same

But one of these things is not like the other thing

Now it's time... for us to play our game!

THREE FOR THE MONEY AND OTHER STORIES:

Reminds me of the Baby Metal song that goes...

One for the money!

Two for the money!

Three for the money

Money! Money! Money! Money!

"Some Legionnaires collect these, so here's a heads up."

That's me. One of these days I'm going to post a picture of how cool they look on a shelf.

"Everything from 'Aces High' to 'Zero Hour'" as I say.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

HALLOWEEN COMIC BOOK EXTRAVAGANZA:

Three of these things belong together

Three of these things are kinda the same

But one of these things is not like the other thing

Now it's time... for us to play our game!

Are you saying that — well, singing, really — because it's three first issues grouped with Daredevil #28? I haven't been following the latest series, but I'm aware that Matt Murdock is in jail and that Elektra is filling in as Daredevil. I"m guessing that issue is her debut in the horns.

Jeff of Earth-J said:

THREE FOR THE MONEY AND OTHER STORIES:

Reminds me of the Baby Metal song that goes...

One for the money!

Two for the money!

Three for the money

Money! Money! Money! Money!

Well, it's pretty honest, I'll give it that.

• " Are you saying that... because it's three first issues grouped with Daredevil #28?"

Actually I meant three superheroes and one Star Wars, but you know, that reminds me of a Sesame Street where they grouped three balls with a cube, yet the cube had stripes on it like two of the balls. then they discussed whether it was the shape or the design that set the objects apart. (Oooh, pretty deep.)

I went with the cube.

Onedari Daisakusen (@ about 1:45 in)

Onedari Daisakusen (Live, @ about 1:35 in).

• Sesame Street could be oddly metaphysical sometimes. I guess when you work with fundamentals, occasionally they inhabit more than one plane.

• TWO MOONS - Well Cap, both Mark Sullivan and I recommend it. If that does anything for ya.

Harbinger - I've never been interested in this series either, but I do like Robbi Rodriguez' art. Not enough to get me to pick this up though.

M.O.M. MOTHER OF MADNESS #3 - CC sez: I have a prejudice against celebrities writing comics, because being good (or just famous) at one thing doesn't usually translate to being good at an entirely unrelated field, and I resent "outsiders" using comics as a hobby horse - I never would have known a celebrity was writing this unless someone had told me.

Some Legionnaires collect these, so here's a heads up. - I do, but I more often get them at Half Price Books.

I've read more than a few Winchester Mansion stories as well, but not as many as I have "How Vlad Tepes turned into Dracula" stories. - I didn't know Winchester Mansion stories existed (not that I find it shocking that they do in anyway). I've seen a documentary or two. I've also been there twice

• 9742435681?profile=RESIZE_710x

• "One of these days I'm going to post a picture of how cool they look on a shelf."

...and there they are (see above), with "Three for the Money" already shelved (third from the right).

"Everything from 'Aces High' to 'Zero Hour' as I say."

(I still say that, even though "Accidents and Old Lace" comes before "Aces High" alphabetically.)

This particular shelf is in the bedroom, and Tracy memorizes the titles to put herself to sleep when taking an afternoon nap on the weekend. 

• See, I loved the uniformity of the Dark Horse Lone Wold & Cub books on my book shelf.

• "I meant three superheroes and one Star Wars."

B-but they're all part of the Disney Family!

"I didn't know Winchester Mansion stories existed (not that I find it shocking that they do in anyway). I've seen a documentary or two. I've also been there twice."

You've certainly got me beat on that last front. But it was comics that introduced me to the Winchester House, back when I was a tyke. I don't even remember what comic book it was. But it was an interesting notion, and when I mentioned it to someone in school the next day, they told me it was real. Sunnuvagun. Since then it's popped up in a lot of comics, even Alan Moore's legendary run on Swamp Thing. Even Dennis the Menace! Recently -- which, to me, is any time in the last 20 years -- I reviewed House of Penance, which I enjoyed. There is also The Secrets of Sarah Winchester, which I did not read, but does have "Winchester" in the title. That's all I got off the top of my head.

"This particular shelf is in the bedroom, and Tracy memorizes the titles to put herself to sleep when taking an afternoon nap on the weekend."

Back when I used to take long road trips by myself, and there were no cell phones, I'd run through the presidents. Then I'd run through the state capitals. Then I'd run through the properties on the Monopoly board. Then I'd name the villains of the first 100 issues of Amazing Spider-Man. But I did these things to stay awake!

This reply was deleted.