Thought maybe I'd just make this an undated, running thread -- and just date the entries as the weeks turn.

3/28/2012

Of the books I've read so far, Flash 7 is my favorite -- I loved Flash running through the wormhole, the promise he made to Snart (and the resolution of that promise), an interesting wrinkle in what will likely wind up being the Golden Glider's origin, the hint at Captain Singh's love life, and more. I liked Iris going through the wormhole -- it'll give Barry some alone time with her (though I'm by no means anti-Patty). And I'm looking forward to Turbine, next issue!

All-Star Western never disappoints, either -- the lead story made good use of Hex's origins and I like the gladatorial scenario. And the backup art had a real John Severin feel to it, which I appreciated -- and I liked the look at Nighthawk's background, as well. My one quibble was that I couldn't tell if Cinnamon was wearing a mask or not -- in some places, it looked like she wasn't drawn wearing one, but the colorist might have been trying to fix that.

Aquaman, sadly, I'm thinking of dropping. It's good -- objectively a good comic, I think, well drawn and exciting in parts -- but it isn't really connecting with me. Maybe it will in trades, sometime down the road.

New Deadwardians: I was planning on waiting for the trade with this one, but I decided to give a single issue a chance. I love the mystery it sets up, and I love the low-key nature of the supernatural here. It's well worth checking out.

Legion of Super Heroes: Secret Origin wrapped up with a nice moment for Phantom Girl, in particular. That said, I'm not sorry to see it go. While it approached the formation of the Legion in a different way than I'd ever seen before, and Chris Batista delivered some nice Ernie Colon-inspired work, the book as a whole was kind of flat. I much prefer the modern-day Legion, with characters who have a long history behind them. 

Still to come: Daredevil and The Unwritten.

Views: 6006

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Comics for May 15, 2013... and BEFORE!!! (As always, there might be spoilers for certain books in the paragraphs where I bold the titles.)

I wasn't able to get to my regular shop last week, so the only book I picked up last Wednesday was Suicide Squad #20. It's the first issue for the Ales Kot/Patrick Zircher creative team (and only the second one I've read of the New 52), and it gives me a lot of hope for the future of the book -- that it will have goals beyond the shock and the gross-out, and the shocks will be rooted in character. The more I think about this book, the more solidly I'm behind it. 

Of the books from last week that I picked up this week, there are Justice League of America #3, and Batman #20. JLA didn't wow me, and to be honest, I'm giving this book a lot of rope, since I'm interested in Trinity War. As of right now, the only two characters I'm interested in are Stargirl and Vibe. (Actually, that's wrong; Signalman makes an appearance. Even in one panel, I'm more interested in him that Hawkman.) Batman, on the other hand, has the wrap-up a fun fight with Clayface, and then the conclusion of a two-part Superman team-up (in which Batman uses magic!), with art by Michael Lark. Two decent two-parters in two issues. Nice!

Demon Knights is also a holdover from last week. We see the Knights fight a tentacle monster, and the Shining Knight fight impending vampirism, as they seek the grail. My favorite bits were the conversations between Hipollyta and Exoristos, though -- it's good to see her welcome again on Paradise Island.

Onto this week:

Fatale sees another done-in-one flashback story, in which Jo first encounters a character we met in the opening arc, but back in World War Two. I love this book, and with the conclusion of these one-shots, it's probably time for me to go back and reread it all again.

Sword of Sorcery: Wraps up the Eclipso storyline for Amethyst; there's no backup. The Aaron Loprestri art is looooovely, but I could go the rest of my life without reading another fantasy world-building exercise so opaque, and with so little payoff. This book should have been awesome, but instead of Gemworld, we got, Nilaaa. Or something. Ugh. Should have dropped this when Beowulf left. At any rate, it's over now.

Wonder Woman. Diana fights with the moon goddess again, and there's more jockeying for position among the gods. I like this run -- I really do -- but this book needs to find another story beat, quick.

Batwoman: This one's really set-up for the upcoming story, and Batwoman tries to start spying on Batman. Her family's behind her, as they all want the same goal -- to get Kate's sister back from the DEO. I like this book, but my interest seems perpetually waning. Hopefully there'll be some good stuff next issue.

Fables: Things get worse for Bigby -- and while I doubt his fate is as final as it seems, I think there's a lot to be said for Ambrose's warnings at the end of the book. Meanwhile, Snow duels Brandish, to a pretty much perfect finish. And we finally see a scene from 6 months ago in its proper context.

I've got a couple books left to read -- Conan, and East of West issue 1 (I picked up a 3rd printing yesterday) -- and I might be forgetting something. But that's the gist so far!

DOOMSDAY.1: This is my pick of the week, but I haven’t read it yet. I was in from the very beginning with Doomsday+1 #1, but that was due to luck as much as any other factor. Charton distribution was potty in my area, and I got only one or two of the other issues. In the ‘80s, when the entire series was reprinted on quality paper, I was able to read the whole thing, but I don’t think I’ve read it since. I may re-read it soon in order to compare/contrast the two.

Byrne’s been doing a whole lot of four-issue mini-series for IDW lately. I wonder if he’s trying to builf a Byrne-verse…?

Arrgh! I meant to pick that up yesterday, and totally forgot to look!

And yeah, Byrne and IDW seem pretty happy together with these short projects. 

On Batwoman I was amazed at how evil Mr. Bones was in this issue. He kept a mentally ill young woman in a coffin just to use her against Batwoman. Even for a black opps government guy that's pretty bad.

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

On Batwoman I was amazed at how evil Mr. Bones was in this issue. He kept a mentally ill young woman in a coffin just to use her against Batwoman. Even for a black opps government guy that's pretty bad.

Was he always kind of a heel? It's been a long time since I read Infinity, Inc., but I recall him starting out as part of a villain team.

Yeah, he started out as a bad guy in Infinity Inc., reformed a bit in that book (from what I recall), and moved up to a ruthless-administrator type in Chase. 

A few others:

Legion of Superheroes #20. Finally, we're starting to see a more effective Legion. The group on the Promethean giant has been routed, true -- with Invisible Kid dragging Polar Boy off the the dimension of the dead (last seen in the 80s), and leader Phantom Girl running off to Bgztl (for how long remains to be seen). But Chameleon Boy, Ultra Boy, Black Witch, Blok, and Glorith acquit themselves well against Validus at the center of Sorceror's World -- and I have to admit, I was really worried for Block's survival for a minute. Finally, we see Cham and Jo teleported to Earth, where they'll be facing Persuader... with, hopefully, at least a few of Duplicate Girl's bodies on their side (though we see one defeated and badly injured in the last panel). A good, exciting issue... with three more to go.

Conan 16: The start of a new story, "The Nightmare of the Shallows," in which Conan goes on an ill-advised opium trip with Belit. Looks like some externalized self-examination is in store for our favorite Cimmerarian. Some great, sharp-lined art, reminiscent of Bernard Chang.

Re: Mr. Bones. Did we ever learn how he became CEO of DEO? I remember him reforming (sorta) in Infinity Inc. when he lost a leg (to King Shark?) and then BOOM! He was head of a secret government agency in Chase. Doesn't seem likely, does it? Also, IIRC, he spoke in rhyme in Infinity Inc., and while I'm delighted that irritating affectation is gone, I don't it ever being explained in the first place, or explained why he stopped.

...Roy Thomas showing his erudition ?

It was the Seventies (hanging over into the Eighties) , Jake .

Captain Comics said:

Re: Mr. Bones. Did we ever learn how he became CEO of DEO? I remember him reforming (sorta) in Infinity Inc. when he lost a leg (to King Shark?) and then BOOM! He was head of a secret government agency in Chase. Doesn't seem likely, does it? Also, IIRC, he spoke in rhyme in Infinity Inc., and while I'm delighted that irritating affectation is gone, I don't it ever being explained in the first place, or explained why he stopped.

Perhaps Roy Thomas will forgive me for mildly spoofing him , there , when I give him some publicity here by mentioning that his ALTER EGO maga-/pro-zine's out-in-December issue #122 will be a salute to THE BUYER'S GUIDE/COMIC BUYER'S GUIDE-themed isse ` even with a couple of pieces originally slated for the never ( to-be , especially with this , I guess ) -published CBG #1700 !!!!!!!!!!!

Emerkeith Davyjack said:

...Roy Thomas showing his erudition ?

It was the Seventies (hanging over into the Eighties) , Jake .

Captain Comics said:

I think that wasn't King Shark, but Carcharo, another newly created character... not sure if he had a connection to Helix, Bones's old group, or not.

Mister Bones, Carcharo, the Latina Wildcat and the rest of Helix (Penny Dreadful, Arak Windwalker, Tao Jones, Baby Boom and Kritter) were all part of the same genetic experimentation that Doctor Love performed on their pregnant mothers.

Other Mister Bones fact:

• he's supposed to possess super-strength
  • his skin is invisible but when they used some scanner on him, it turned out he was African-American.
  • He was used as the murder weapon when the evil Harlequin killed Skyman AKA the Star Spangled Kid.
  • his costume was based on the Black Terror now featured in Masks.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service