Replies

• The first question a doctor will ask you after a head injury is "Did you lose consciousness at any time?" It is of major concern to them if you did.

• I remember a letter written by an MD to the "Fantastic Four Fan Page" (during the Byrne run, IIRC), following Johnny Storm being knocked unconscious in a particular, issue in which he described the dangers of being knocked unconscious even once. What prompted my post yesterday was that Tonto was knocked out twice in the same episode, and after he awakened, the bad guy instructed his henchman to "put him to sleep again" (although he was prevented from doing so).

In reference to Tonto's broken English, I like certain aspects of Topps Comics' 1994 Lone Ranger and Tonto series. It is set early in their career, and the Lone Ranger is featured in dime novels of the time. He has let that go to his head and it is causing friction between the two. Tonto's dialect is either a) simply the way he was portrayed in those dime novels, or b) an affectation to get their enemies to underestimate him, or c) both. (I've read it only once, and that was 30 years ago now.) What I didn't like about it was that it included zombies. Despite the wonderful Timothy Truman art, I can't recommend this series to anyone.

51103416688.1.gif

• Some years ago I had a minor concussion resulting from an impact injury. A couple days later, while still not ready to drive, I decided to walk to the grocery store (about a 15-minute walk) to pick up a few things. I made my purchases, stepped out the door.... And had no idea how to get home. I had to sit down for a few minutes and let my head clear before working it out and returning home.

• ENGLISH TEACHER: We started watching this last night primarily because I once was an English teacher. I have not stood in front of a classroom for more than 30 years, and whereas I recognize things have changed, I found the first episode to be highly unrealistic. But I don't necessarily watch a show like this for realism, so I'll give it a few more episodes.

THAT '90s SHOW: Made it through parts 2 and 3. Kevin Smith is cast as Tommy Chong's son, Sonny. (Jason Mewes is in it as well.) Kira Kosarin plays Betsy Kelso (just a baby on That '70s Show). Y'know what would make an interesting (if unlikely) crossover? That '90s Show and Young Sheldon. I hope this show is renewed. 

AFTER MIDNIGHT: I killed some time between seasons watching Taylor Tomlinson's Netflix stand-up specials. Now After Midnight is back for it's second season, although my satellite company designates it as S1 E87.

• ENGLISH TEACHER: We started watching this last night primarily because I once was an English teacher. I have not stood in front of a classroom for more than 30 years, and whereas I recognize things have changed, I found the first episode to be highly unrealistic. But I don't necessarily watch a show like this for realism, so I'll give it a few more episodes.

I pretty much guarantee that anyone watching a TV show or movie about their own walk of life will be able to drive huge holes through the plot.

• What he said!

• We caught a few episodes of Pen15 and I have to say, also as someone who worked with young people, this is very well-done. It only received two seasons, Grade 7 and Grade 8. If you don't know it, it's a cringingly real, if comedically-played, account of two female friends. The twist is, the show's creators, Maya Erskine and Anna Konkle, both around 30, play versions of themselves. The rest of the cast are age-appropriate. Although they're physically smallish adults and disturbingly good at acting like they're 13, no attempt is made to disguise their age beyond the acting and costumes. Somehow, this works as a stylistic conceit and it gives the show (which they co-write) a certain latitiude with the actors. I'm someone who usually rolls his eyes at the typical US "teen" show casting twenty-five-year-olds and claiming they're fifteen. It works here.

It's originally a Hulu show from a few years ago. I discovered it because it's currently carried in Canada on CBC-Gem, where I've been slowly catching up on missed Fifth Estate and Passionate Eye documentaries of interest. There was a point in the 1990s where I would have identified The Passionate Eye and American Experience as my favorite TV series.

• HAVE I GOT NEWS FOR YOU

Debuts tonight, 9P (8 Central).

• The second season of TWD: The One with Daryl began last night.

• There's a debate starting in about ten minutes.

This reply was deleted.