Replies

• I made a mistake, or a series of them, when I watched Band of Brothers back in the day. Mainly that when it came down to the last couple of episodes, I didn't know who anybody was. I don't know if I had just waited for the show to do the work of distinguishing between all these young white men in their 20s with identical dark haircuts and it didn't, or if I had just focused on the wrong characters (wrong because they died) or what. But by the end I wasn't enjoying the show properly because I didn't know the names or backstories of the strangers on the screen.

I will not make that mistake again.

With The Pacific, I have figured out who the surviving characters are likely to be (by number of episodes), found actors and their characters' names (which are hardly ever used on the show) on IMDb.com, and so forth. I know who these guys are, and we're only on episode 4. I will do the same when we (inevitably) watch Masters of the Air.

Sadly, I am going to have to invest some of my rapidly dwindling time on Earth to a second watch of Band of Brothers someday. At least I know it's good!

• As per usual, playing catch-up.

If I were to rank Jeff's series it would be:

1. Seindfeld
    2. Friends
    3. Mad About Youi

I just never got past season 2 or so of Mad About You. Never got to be my thing.

That being said, I never get upset whn people like or dislike shows I do or don't. Horse races and all. I remember a few years ago a friend of mine was trying to convince another friend about how great Yellowstone was. We had this little playlet:

"Travis will I like this show?"

Knowing my friend, "No you will not"

"Okay, thanks"

Cap said:

I have watched a handful of Seinfeld episodes and none at all of Friends. I feel no urge to correct this cultural oversight. I also don't watch football, haven't watched any Fast movies, haven't read any Harry Potter, have never tasted pumpkin spice and can't name a Taylor Swift song.

The one advantage to getting old is not caring about pop culture.

I get it. There was a talk show host in the mid 90s who called this: culurally illiterate. Which I actually loved. He was worried about, and I was in my early 20s and wondered why...

With The Pacific, I have figured out who the surviving characters are likely to be (by number of episodes), found actors and their characters' names (which are hardly ever used on the show) on IMDb.com, and so forth. I know who these guys are, and we're only on episode 4. I will do the same when we (inevitably) watch Masters of the Air.

I know part of thise series was based off the book by E.B Sledge, With the Old Breed. There are passages in that book that I still think about to this day, nearly 20 years after I read it.

• TALES OF THE BLACK FREIGHTER: Inspired by an offline discussion, I read "The Curse of the Crimson Corsair," 28 two-page installments serialized across eight "Before Watchmen" series. (First I had to re-order them because I had them filed in title-order and they were serialized in release-order, but that wasn't too bad.) After that I decided to watch the animated version of "Tales of the Black Freighter," Watchmen's comic-within-a-comic.

UNDER THE BLACK HOOD: I also watched the 37-minutes "TV documentary" about Hollis Mason's tell-all.

WATCHMEN: THE COMPLETE MOTION COMIC: It has been so long since I read Watchmen I decided to re-read it, supplementing each issue with the animated episode. (So far I'm one issue/episode in.) After that? I have some plans...

• You have a lot to watch, man.

• I see what you did there!

• We're watching Electric Dreams, and there are a lot of familiar faces that elevate the show: Bryan Cranston, Steve Buscemi, Juno Temple, Richard Madden, Annalise Basso, Terrence Howard, etc. It occurs to me that future generations will regard these actors as "Hey, it's that guy!"

• IN THE KNOW: Lauren Caspien is NPR's third most popular host. The main characters are claymation and the guests are live. "In The Know" does to liberals what "The Colbert Report" did to conservatives: mocks them mercilessly.

TRAILER

• AFTER MIDNIGHT: The show that answers the question: "What if 'Whose Line is it, Anyway?" were a game show. This is the kind of show I will enjoy for a while, then won't be able to watch anymore. But right now I'm enjoying it. I relate to about 50% of the games and get 50% of the jokes.

TRAILER

• STUPID PET TRICKS: I used to watch "Late Night with David Letterman" when I was in college and I've liked Sarah Silverman ever since she was in Star Trek. I had not real desire to see Silverman host a show based on an old Letterman bit, but there was nothing else on TV tonight. I doubt I'll ever watch it again. 

• THE DAILY SHOW: I used to watch this show right up until COVID. By the time it returned I had fallen out of the habit, but starting tonight, John Stewert returns, every Monday through the election. The rest of the week, the other correspondents will take turns hosting.

This reply was deleted.