Report what comic books you have read today--and tell us a little something about it while you're here!

Views: 57067

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

When did you post the initial post you quoted? It must have been a while ago. I kind of have a vague feeling of discussing it before and that you didn't particularly care for it. Terry Moore is one of my favorite creators and I will follow him to any series he chooses to do. In the time since you stopped reading, he went away from SiP for several years and worked on other standalone projects later revealed to all be part of a "SiP Universe." His current focus is Serial, about a killer in a child's body.

Hmmm ... for some reason, I thought the date information came across with quotes. Anyway, that old post was from October 29, 2013 at 6:13 p.m.

In Strangers in Paradise, I like the complicated romance between Francine and Katina. The notion of two women who deeply love each other, but one is a lesbian and the other is straight and can't bring herself to reciprocate, is fascinating.

The eeeeEEEEVIL government conspiracy stuff I have no use for. 

Dear gods, did that series lose me. It begins so well, as a kind of oddball slice of life, and the better issues and arcs remember that. Then we get into the CONSPIRACIES and it's like Qanon's dad took over the plotting detail. As Randy Roberts (of here, among other places) wrote:

I found Francine and Katchoo a hundred times more interesting. So all the intrigue, murder, explosions and double-dealing were just getting in the way of a good story, much like a Hollywood movie that's pretty decent three quarters of the way through that suddenly descends into chase scenes and gunfights when the premise of the movie shouldn't have taken it anywhere near chase scenes and gunfights.

Then in the final arc Moore, who had prided himself on his continuity, threw continuity out the dang window faster than third-season Captain Kirk chucked the Prime Directive.

It's a pity, because when it works, it really works.

ClarkKent_DC said:

I got my hands on Strangers in Paradise Pocket Book 1, which has the first three-issue miniseries and then Vol. 2, which ran for 13 issues. Sets up the premise, establishes that Katchoo has a gloriously messy past with bad people out to get her in the present. Not too far into the eeeEEEVIL government conspiracy stuff that turned me off. 

ClarkKent_DC said:

I'm going through The Complete Strangers in Paradise, Volume 3, Part 3. This was a series I completely missed when it was "live." A few years back, I read an introductory trade paperback that had the first strips, and a couple years ago, I read The Complete Strangers in Paradise, Volume 3, Part 2. I kind of liked it.

It was kind of soap-opera-ish, but the story of the unrequited and very complicated love between BFFs Francine and Katchoo was interesting and compelling. Francine and Katchoo have know each other since high school. Francine wears her heart on her sleeve, and her self-esteem is so low that she steps on it all the time. Katchoo -- Katina Choovanski -- is a "bad girl" but she's that way because she has a abusive background. She has walls up against everyone but Francine, and she's a lesbian and loves Francine .... who is not a lesbian, but loves Katchoo more than anything. It's very complicated.

But in The Complete Strangers in Paradise, Volume 3, Part 3, things take a weird left turn at Albuquerque. It stops being about the relationship between Francine and Katchoo and there's all this out-of-nowhere stuff about industrial espionage and crime cartels and manipulation of the financial markets and revenge and Katchoo is some kind of spy trying to get out of that life and her enemies keep trying to strike at each other through her or strike at her through

"Hmmm ... for some reason, I thought the date information came across with quotes."

That was on the old board.

"Anyway, that old post was from October 29, 2013 at 6:13 p.m."

Yeah, I figured it was a while ago. Terry Moore reinvents himself often enough that even that espionage arc didn't last forever. there was a time when Tracy and I planned to do a "husband and wife" discussion of the entire series, but for whatever reason, that never happened. she hardly reads any comics these days, favoring "words without pictures." I'd love a SiP discussion (after i finish John Byrne's FF), however; I'll broach the topic when she returns from her trip. 

I found myself in a part of town I don't frequent that often because, y'know, COVID, which allowed me to drop in at a comics shop I haven't been to in more than year and stock up. This lovely place has an old-fashioned bargain basement with lots and lots of longboxes and shelves of graphic novels and trade paperbacks. Every comic down there is a dollar, and every trade is half-price.

I filled in my run of H.E.R.O., the early 2000s reworking of Dial H for Hero, and several issues of Letter 44, which I like despite my previously expressed dislike of eeeEEEVIL government conspiracies.

I also got a copy of The Original Encyclopedia of Super Heroes, Vol. 2: Wonder Woman by Michael L. Fleischer. I'm always singing the praises of Flescher's Batman and Superman volumes -- I've nearly worn out my copy of the Batman one, and I've got two copies of The Great Superman Book, a hardback and a paperback.

But somehow, I never got the Wonder Woman one. Mostly because I was never interested in Wonder Woman until George Perez took on the title, and the Fleischer volume meticulously catalogues all the stuff I never cared for, including that ugly H.G. Peters art. (Maybe you like it. Me, I find it hard to "read.")

Why "Original" is added to the title I don't know; this book is a scaled-down reprint of the tome from 1977, but it's still readable and at an affordable price, doubly so since I got it half-off. (Copies of the original original go for up to $100 on eBay.)

What I literally said out loud after reading the end of Green Lantern #2 just now:  "Oh, f***ity."
They've got my interest.

GREEN LANTERN #2: I did two things I never (or rarely ever) do yesterday:

1) I bought a comic book just for the cover;

2) I bought the "virgin" variant rather than the main cover;

3) I bought a #2 without having the #1.

Regarding that last one, I probably haven't done that since I was a little kid and had little choice (and then it was probably by accident). 

Working my way up, I'm not generally a big fan of alternate covers. No, I'm not going to do it. I'm not going to launch into a big tirade about alternate covers. I don't mind the copyless variants, but not as part of a series I collect regularly. If I'm making a one-off purchase, I sometimes prefer them. 

Back when comics were 60 cents apiece, I often bought comics just for the covers (Marvel Tales, for example). this comic is ten times that much, but I bought it for the Sojourner Mullein cover.

I might not have even read it except for Bob's comment above. (After 24 issues of Grant Morrison, I'm kind of "Green Lanterned" out.) I haven't followed GL since the introduction of the "Rainbow Lantern League" or whatever they call it. The last time I tried, I couldn't follow it. this one wasn't so bad, though. John Stewart recaps issue one for the benefit of all the other Lanterns, and I just read #2t from the point of view of one of the many GLs who didn't know what the hall was going on. 

I'm not sure how to interpret the ramifications of those last pages, though.

THE COMPLETE KIRBY WAR & ROMANCE: If you didn't read "The Week in Comics" this week, Cap posted, "This book isn't 'The Complete Kirby War & Romance,' it's only 'The Complete Kirby War & Romance That Was Published by What Is Now Known As Marvel Comics,'" which is true. But he also posted, "If you're a fan of Jack Kirby — and if you're a fan of American comic books, you almost have to be — this book brings to our respective libraries Kirby stories most of us have never seen," which is also true. For the record, the back cover copy says "The Definitive Collection of Jack Kirby's Marvel war and Romance Comics!" which, you must admit, makes for a less punchier title. 

What makes this collection cool is that the stories are organized, like those of the two-volume "Monsters" collections, by production number rather than publication date or divided into sections of "war" and "romance." For aficionados such as myself, this volume also present the very first pairing of Jack Kirby with his future Fantastic Four inker Joe Sinnott. the introduction is written by artist and Kirby expert Tom Scioli. 

Oh, and I bought the "war" cover. 

THE IMMORTAL HULK #46: The Avengers.

THE WRONG EARTH: NIGHT & DAY #4: Recommended.

FIRE POWER #10: Recommended.

THE COMPLETE KIRBY WAR & ROMANCE

From Tom Scioli's introduction: "'The Invisible Enemy' is the most autobiographical of the war stories in this volume. Kirby is the unknown 'replacement' in this story. It echoes his own experience. We see the enemy march into his gunsights like tiny ants. He finds himself frozen and unable to fire until his sergeant slaps him on the helmet. 'Let's go, kid! start earning your pay!'"

Kirby tells the same story in a You Tube video from the Kirby Museum.

In my war "replacement" meant either somebody went home or somebody was badly wounded or killed.

In Kirby's war it only meant the latter.

In the mid-50s Simon and Kirby briefly tried to become publishers themselves. Their line was called Mainline. One of the titles was Foxhole, a war comic with stories by veterans. Kirby did the covers and contributed some stories. It ran four issues, and Charlton published two more S&K had prepared.

H.G. Peter was born in 1880, so he was 61 when Wonder Woman was launched.  Wikipedia's page on Peter has an example of a political cartoon he did for a 1915 issue of Judge. His "Wonder Woman" work got prettier after the first couple of years, but also increasingly stiff. I've long wondered if he had assistants. Wikipedia says he used background inkers.

He did a little work for comics other than "Wonder Woman". The GCD's earliest credits for his work are for stories from 1940. He did two superhero features for Eastern Color, "Fearless Flint" and "Man O' Metal", which are nearly identical.

A very few WW stories from 1943 were drawn by Frank Godwin. He was a newspaper strip artist, and phenomenally accomplished. His famous strips are Connie and Rusty Riley.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service