What other Golden Age revivals should there have been in the Silver Age?

There weren't any further Silver Age revivals from the Golden Age after the Spectre (as far as I know - does Red Tornado count?), which has always been a disappointment to me. I think Wildcat, Black Canary and Dr Fate would have made interesting reboots. Possibly Dr Midnight and Hourman. These are characters, like Hawkman, that visually wouldn't have needed much of a revamp.

What Silver Age revivals of Golden Age characters do you think would have worked as an on going series?

Views: 1738

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I can see where, in the pre-war years, the company might have wanted to avoid any group name that sounded too military, like Battalion, Squad/Squadron, etc., but Society seems so sedentary (in fact, the more I think about it, the more I'm sure that the JSA was originally intended to be just a framing device for individual hero stories, and it was only after they named the group that they decided to go all in and actually combine the characters--that would also explain why the editors & writer didn't just throw up their hands in despair right out of the gate at the concept of coming up with a new threat every issue that could challenge the Spectre & Dr. Fate without instantly vaporizing the Atom & Sandman!), and I assume that "the Justice Union" had political baggage they'd rather not deal with.  The Justice Band of America has no snap to it at all, The Avenger had already claimed "Justice Inc.", and the Justice Association would be even worse.  How about the All-Star Constellation?  Maybe not...

And just calling them the All-Stars might have made them sound like a baseball team or something.

I dunno... I always thought the "Justice Society of America" sounded pretty cool, like an elite group that only a chosen few could get into because their sole reason for getting together was the pursuit of justice. I think DC got it exactly right.

I think it sounds cool too, but apparently someone high up at DC didn't.

From Dictionary.com:

Origin:
1525–35;  /span> Middle French societe  /span> Latin societās,  equivalent to soci ( us ) partner, comrade + -etās,  variant of -itās- -ity

Mr. Silver Age said:

I don't know I've ever heard where the term "Society" came from originally.

What I was wondering when I brought it up was not the derivation of the word "society", but what, if any inspiration was behind selecting that particular name for the first super-hero team?  It's been established that an earlier novel called The Seven Champions of Christendom used the device of gathering a group of previously unconnected characters (in this case, the knightly patron saints of several different countries) to discuss a problem, and then go off into solo chapters to deal with an aspect of said problem.  Clearly, this name inspired the Seven Soldiers of Victory, with WW2 providing the clear inspiration for both "soldiers" & "victory".  I'd like to know if there was some organization back then that's either been forgotten or just slipped our minds that inspired the "something" Society of "something".  If something like "the American Cancer Society" had been the inspiration, wouldn't the group have been called "the American Justice Society", and we'd all be nostalgic for the AJS?

Some writers used to publish series of detective and ghost stories where a club would meet and different members would tell a story they'd heard or experienced. Perhaps it came from one of those.

Origin: 1525–35;  /span> Middle French societe  /span> Latin societās,  equivalent to soci ( us partner,comrade + -etās,  variant of -itās- -ity

Like Dave, I was thinking less of its etomylogical origin and more of its Schwartzian origin. The term seems to imply social interaction, but I'm not sure any other option in that format is better. 

My understanding was that All-Star was designed as an anthology title with all the non-headliners, with them all meeting in a framing story and then having individual adventures, giving them some added visibility. But when the title proved hugely popular, they upped its frequency from quarterly to bimonthly and decided to have the heroes get together in the chapters to take more advantage of the JSA idea. It was revolutionary and paid off.

-- MSA

Schwartz? I thought the idea was Sheldon Mayer's.

It was, I misspoke about which timeframe I was talking about. Nobody has ever accused me of being Mr. Golden Age.

-- MSA

It's interesting how DC had so many editors during the time that Marvel had Stan, and...uh...Stan...

Some writers used to publish series of detective and ghost stories where a club would meet and different members would tell a story they'd heard or experienced. Perhaps it came from one of those.

I know Isaac Asimov did a series like that, about the Black Widowers club, based on a literary club he belonged to, but those were in the 1970s. I don't know of earlier such books. Do you know of some?

It's interesting how DC had so many editors during the time that Marvel had Stan, and...uh...Stan...

Marvel/Timely never had a big title list, and Joe Simon had preceded Stan in the role, and they worked with several writers. When Stan started the Marvel super-heroes, he was limited to only a few titles per month, and he became the sole writer as well as the editor. That led to him giving artists a basic plot and creating the "Marvel style".

He could've farmed out the stories to writers--and he did some of that, especially to his brother, but he must've decided he wanted to be the writer as well as the editor and could handle it. I'm sure Goodman didn't mind having fewer people to pay.

It had advantages in being able to have characters interact and respond to situations in another comic (even though each comic seemed to be owned by a different company and its characters appeared somewhere else through the generosity of that publishing company). But it did put a heavy burden on the artist, which was a risk and also made them realize they were doing more than just drawing the pages.

Some artists liked it better, some didn't. It definitely helped establish a different feel for the Marvel books than was at DC, which helped them stand out. But I doubt Julie or Mort would've ever accidentally had Doc Ock call Spider-Man "Superman" or forget Banner's first name. 

-- MSA

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service