From Captain America: Patriot #4

This story is set in 1950.  While the middle school concept had been created by then ( the very first middle school in the United States was designated that very year), it would be many years before it caught on throughout the country.  At that point, it would have been far more likely that Cap was looking for West Lake Junior High.

Views: 229

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I went to Catholic schools, so it was one elementary school and one high school. The public school system had junior high (Grades 7-8-9).
Captain America: Patriot was one of my favorite stories of the year. I think I noted the anachronism, but promptly moved past it. When my parents and older siblings moved though public school, junior high was grades 7 and 8 with a 4-year high school. By the time I went though, junior high school was 7-9 with a 3-year high… until my senior year when junior high became “middle school” (grades 6-8) and high school went back to four years. I always thought the class of ’84 lucked out because they got to be the top dogs of junior high in ninth grade, but never had to be bottom of the heap when they became sophomores. Similarly, the class of ’85 kinda got screwed.

The use of language that really stuck in my craw was script of Ant-Man & the Wasp #2. Not an anachronism, but rather just usage that stamps the writer as being of a certain age. There were three examples, but the one I recall off the top of my head is the term “adult drink.”

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service