A Cover a Day

Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Discussion and voting on future monthly themes takes place on the "A Cover A Day: Nominations, Themes and Statistics" thread.  Click here to view the thread, or here to go to its last reply.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• One final George Perez cover, and a bridge into "Parents" month, with Wally (Kid Flash) West's letter to "Dear Mom and Dad".

3780618960?profile=RESIZE_710x

• Not "covers" per se, but back in 1985, DC released a set of 16 postcards, each featuring a member of the Justice League of America (although the "Detroit League" had to share a card). [Click here to see the entire set.] they were also reprinted in one of the GP JLA editions.

JLA_Postcards-e1490582403493.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

One thing unusual about this set was that the "Batman" card was only available in person at cons. One time CBG columnist Tony Isabella ran a "contest" in which the "prize" was a package of clutter from his desk. I entered and among the junk I received was the George Perez Batman JLA postcard. 

• Here is a favorite cover partly because I always get a chuckle out of it.  In this story, I forget the particulars, Ant-Man attacks the Avengers.  At the time I thought it was odd that Ant-Man was attacking with spiders (eight legs) instead of ants (six legs).  Just think, George had to draw all of those extra legs (and Pablo Marcos had to ink all of them).

10606811871?profile=RESIZE_710xI found the following quote by George.  It was in The Marvel Art of George Perez by Jess Harold.

”Avengers #161 was a fan-favorite that showed Ant-Man attacking the Avengers, Scarlet Witch in the foreground with all these ants crawling over her body.  But, as I wasn’t really an entomologist or anything, I drew all these ants with eight legs instead of six.  Mut-ants!  But only a couple of fans spotted that.”

Since Hank Pam often gave his ants names, maybe we can consider each ant a character in its own right, so this cover could be in the running for most characters on a cover.

• Love this very crowded cover by George but again poor Mister Terrific's not on it! 

It also goes with "Parents" because it reprints when Batman consoling his "daughter" the Huntress over the death of her real father, the Earth-Two Batman! 

Plus Orion and Darkseid! And Highfather and Mister Miracle!

10607239893?profile=RESIZE_710x

• The last day of our George Perez tribute and a couple more of my personal favorites that no one hasn't posted yet, courtesy of the Grand Comics Database, beginning with the cover to Logan's Run 4, the penultimate issue of the movie adaptation that Perez illustrated.

In the movie there was a lot of reflections between the robot's chromic body and the ice that couldn't be shown with the print technology of the day. I can't help wondering how Perez would have rendered the scene now in these more modern times.

10607343258?profile=RESIZE_710x

Next, you certainly wouldn't want to be on the wrong side against these guys.

10607344672?profile=RESIZE_710x

And finally, no matter what the genre or how "simple" the image may appear, George Perez was a true master of his craft.

10607346100?profile=RESIZE_710x

• 97075388476.750.1980S.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

• If I may, one last post to close out our tribute month to George Perez.

Since my only source of comic books nowadays is electronic, I found the following artist jam (credits at bottom of image) in recent DC issues I'm reading online.

Have no idea if Marvel has done a similar piece in their titles, but they should.

Adios George, and thanks for all the great art.

10608105298?profile=RESIZE_710x

• July 2022 - Parents.

• Starting off with Superboy conflicted by two sets of parents

10608396062?profile=RESIZE_710x

• The first reference to Kal-El's parents on a cover that I can find is Action #149, from October 1950. If anyone can find anything earlier, please post it!   Nice to be back.

10608463863?profile=RESIZE_710x

This reply was deleted.