A Cover a Day

Ok, how about this for an idea.  We take it in turns to post a favourite (British spelling) comic cover every day.  This went really well on the comic fan website that I used to frequent.  What we tried to do was find a theme or subject and follow that, until we all got bored with that theme.  I'd like to propose a theme of letters of the alphabet. So, for the remainder of October (only 5 days) and all of November, we post comic cover pictures associated with the letter "A".  Then in December, we post covers pertaining to the letter "B".  The association to the letter can be as tenuous as you want it to be. For example I could post a cover from "Adventure Comics" or "Amazing Spider Man".  However Spider Man covers can also be posted when we're on the letter "S".  Adventure Comic covers could also be posted when we're on the letter "L" if they depict the Legion of Super Heroes.  So, no real hard, fast rules - in fact the cleverer the interpretation of the letter, the better, as far as I'm concerned.

And it's not written in stone that we have to post a cover every day. There may be some days when no cover gets posted. There's nothing wrong with this, it just demonstrates that we all have lives to lead.

If everyone's in agreement I'd like to kick this off with one of my favourite Action Comic covers, from January 1967. Curt Swan really excelled himself here.

Discussion and voting on future monthly themes takes place on the "A Cover A Day: Nominations, Themes and Statistics" thread.  Click here to view the thread, or here to go to its last reply.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Sea Devils #5. Another wash cover.

12139311053?profile=RESIZE_400x

• Five X-Men "in search of Mutant X."

97993536520.126.jpg

• Superman, Inc. (1999), cover by José Luis García-López and Kevin Nowlan.  The "Superstars '99" baseball cards on the back cover make this my bridge to the non-numeric half of next month's "Number 6/Stars" dual theme.

12630349661?profile=RESIZE_930x

I confess that, when JLGL was proposed as a possibility for an "Artist homage" month, I was rather surprised.  I vaguely knew his work from the seventies and eighties, when I thought of him as a workmanlike but unexciting cover artist.  Researching his comics for this month, I now see that this was a severe underestimate of his skill.  Sadly, I'd pretty much given up buying comics by the time he really came into his own, and it looks like I missed a lot of excellent work.  So, thanks to Clark for suggesting JLGL, and introducing me to an artist I'd wrongly disregarded.

• Personally, I hate the fact that May is coming to an end since I've still got a lot of great Jose Luis Garcia Lopez covers to post. But here's one that bridges the gap between May and June's 6/Stars, courtesy of the Grand Comics Database.

12630407891?profile=RESIZE_400x

• To go along with that cover here is the splash page which can also srve as a transition

12630581496?profile=RESIZE_584x

• I'll say goodbye to May with Superman #158, another Curt Swan cover from January 1963. It's been a fabulous month for me - for the last 28 years I've been wanting to tackle the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path, and during this month I walked 84 miles of it, in one week, with a good friend. At my age, I'd almost given up on this particular challenge, but now I can tick it off on my bucket list! Great month.

Have also enjoyed all the fab covers. 

12630471296?profile=RESIZE_710x

• This was us on day one as we rounded our first cove.  (Sorry, self indulgence).

12630472088?profile=RESIZE_710x

• The cover doesn't fit but the splash page should work as a transition

12630581899?profile=RESIZE_584x
    12630582262?profile=RESIZE_930x

• Showcase #6 introduced the Challengers, initially by Jack Kirby, two issues after introducing the Barry Allen Flash. In this period, Kirby was drawing the Green Arrow back-up in Adventure Comics. Later in Kirby's run, Adventure #256(JAN59), which I bought, contained the revised island-origin of Green Arrow. This origin, with slight tweaks, has become canon.

12630615679?profile=RESIZE_400x

• All-Star Squadron #41 (January 1985), revealing the origin of Starman.

12630702477?profile=RESIZE_584x

This reply was deleted.