TOP PUBLISHERS

MARVEL COMICS

DAREDEVIL: BLACK ARMOR #4 features, of all people, Baron Strucker (and his Satan Claw)!

"Fall of X" continues this week in FALL OF THE HOUSE OF X #2

"Gang War" continues this week in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #43, DEADLY HANDS OF KUNG FU: GANG WAR #3 and MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #16.

"Sabretooth War" continues this week in WOLVERINE #43.

NIGHT THRASHER #1 (OF 4)

12369507461?profile=RESIZE_180x18012375277480?profile=RESIZE_180x18012375277653?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: J Holtham | Art: Nelson Daniel | Cover: Alan Quah | Teen+ | $4.99

Night Thrasher is remembered for his super-cool adventures throughout the ‘90s in both his solo series and as a core member of the New Warriors. Now, he’s back as a headlining hero in this four-issue limited series! Leaving the ‘90s behind and entering an exciting new era, Night Thrasher will adopt a brand-new look, rekindle his relationship with Silhouette, and clash with an all-new archenemy! Holtham, known for his work in both comics and TV series including Cloak and Dagger and Jessica Jones, will team up with acclaimed artist Nelson Dániel to steer this fan-favorite hero in a bold new direction.

It’s time to thrash the night! The death of a loved one draws Dwayne Taylor back to New York City, though his days as Night Thrasher are long over. But Dwayne finds the past difficult to outrun when Silhouette, his ex-teammate from the New Warriors, seeks his help against a new criminal called The O.G. And the mystery of the O.G.’s true identity and what’s to come will change Night Thrasher’s legacy forever!

Discussing the series with host Angélique Roché, Holtham said, “Obviously, there's a ton of '90s nostalgia floating around. It feels like a dude on a skateboard is always going to be cool and fun. I'm from the '90s and I have aged and there's a lot in this that is about, ‘What's your legacy? What have you left behind?,’ especially because we haven't seen him for a while. He had to go on a journey of self-discovery and hung out other places for a while to process that ‘I was dead then I wasn't dead.’ And then, ‘What's the world like?’ It’s mostly about him coming home to deal with the crap that he has not dealt with.”

This character's non du combat still strikes me as a condition best suited for medical attention. And I think the blurb-writer above is exaggerating a bit with "super-cool adventures" and "fan-favorite hero." This character is superfluous in almost every way, and should have been left in comic book limbo.

12377971701?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377971888?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377972276?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377972662?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377972676?profile=RESIZE_180x180

SCARLET WITCH & QUICKSILVER #1 (OF 4)

12369464484?profile=RESIZE_180x18012375277862?profile=RESIZE_180x18012375277680?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Steve Orlando | Art: Lorenzo Tammetta | Cover: Russell Dauterman | Teen+ | $4.99

The Witch is back — and this time, she’s not alone!

Honoring the pair’s 60th anniversary! This four-issue limited series marks an exciting evolution for Orlando’s hit run on SCARLET WITCH. Having revitalized Wanda Maximoff as a solo superhero with a captivatingly fresh status quo and a fascinatingly fearsome new rogues gallery, Orlando now adds Pietro to the mix with a new chapter in the twins’ storied legacy! 

Since making their 1964 debut in Stan Lee and Jack Kirby’s The X-Men #4 as part of Magneto’s original Brotherhood of Evil Mutants, Wanda and Pietro Maximoff have shaped the Marvel Universe as we know it with key roles in some of comic book’s most earth-shattering storylines. Now, these two pop culture icons re-cement their unbreakable bond to confront old rivalries and new mysteries, including an revolutionary new take on The Wizard!

The Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver have been heroes, friends, family heads and occasionally villains, but, above all, they are twins who look out for each other. So when Wanda receives a letter from the recently deceased Magneto that would upset Pietro, she burns the letter before her brother can read it. But her choice drives them apart at the worst possible time: a new threat heralded by the Wizard — with a horrifying eldritch upgrade — is coming for their heads, and if they can’t find a way to repair their damaged bond, it will cost them their lives.

On writing a comic that incorporates Quicksilver on a grander level, writer Steve Orlando says, “We’ve been doing so much work with Wanda and we wanted to spotlight the diversity of her powers and the dynamic things she can do … and it’s really exciting to do the same, and give the same love, to Pietro during the 60th anniversary.” He continued, “But, it’s not just about his powers! It’s about who he is and bringing him back into this chosen family narrative we’re doing. So, you won’t just see Pietro back in the book, you’ll see Pietro with members of the extended Maximoff family that he hasn’t gotten a ton of time to spend with before!”

I remember when Quicksilverandscarletwitch was basically one word. But they've been apart longer now than when they were joined at the hip in the '60s, and in the 21st century it's Wanda who gets top billing. That's appropriate, as she's more interesting and is better known, thanks to the movies. Curious to see where this will go. (Counting on it not going the The Ultimates route. Yech!) Because my question is: What does she need him for?

12377974893?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377975253?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377975263?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377975471?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377975483?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377975501?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DC COMICS

RED HOOD: THE HILL #1 launches a six-issue miniseries starring the least likable Bat-family member.

SINISTER SONS #1 launches a six-issue miniseries about the delinquint sons of Zod and Sinestro. I'd rather be reading about the Super-Sons.

"The Joker Year One"

BATMAN #143

12369434858?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369434881?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Chip Zdarsky | Art: Giuseppe Camuncoli, Stefano Nesi, Andrea Sorrentino | Cover: Giuseppe Camuncoli & Stefano Nesi | $4.99

The terrifying tale of The Joker Year One continues as a mysterious figure from Batman's past has come into Joker's orbit, changing the Clown Prince of Crime forever! And what secrets does the re-formed Red Hood Gang have for Batman's future?

I've discovered on Bleeding Cool that this three-parter isn't The Joker's origin. Which is a relief. (I don't think he should have one, or — as Alan Moore wrote — if he has to have one, it should be multiple choice.) 

That's what it's not. But I don't know what it actually is.

12369435063?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369435270?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369435279?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369435481?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12377928860?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377928876?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377928885?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377928696?profile=RESIZE_180x180

IMAGE COMICS

The RAT QUEENS OMNIBUS HC is back on the shipping list, after many delays, and I'm still undecided if I want to buy it. I was very enthusiastic when Rat Queens launched, finding it a fun use of D&D tropes, with lead characters who were all female, extremely competent and funny. But the book fell apart over what appears to be creators falling out, and I dropped the last few fitful appearances. So do I want the whole story, or not? Is this the whole story, or just the beginning, middle and a pastiche at the end? I don't know! Collecting comics is hard! 

TIME2 OMNIBUS HC was originally solicited about a million years ago. Not that I'm looking forward to it, as I don't remember what it was about, even though I presumably read it back in the day. (And if memory serves, it never finished.) But this being a Howard Chaykin joint, I'm guessing the protagonist is a snarky, good-looking, two-fisted Jewish man with great hair who gets laid a lot. How close am I, Legionnaires?

THE CABINET #1

12369456692?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369457061?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Jordan Hart, David Ebeltoft | Art: Chiara Raimondii | Variant: Marguerite Sauvage | $3.99

Eisner and Harvey Award nominated writer Jordan Hart (Ripple Effects) and co-writer David Ebeltoft team up with up-and-coming artist Chiara Raimondi for the vibrant and magical five-issue miniseries The Cabinet. This technicolor-drenched, tongue-in-cheek comes from Image Comics’ Syzygy line.

Each vibrant issue will also feature an interconnected variant cover by Eisner, Shuster, Manning, and GLADD Award nominated artist Marguerite Sauvage (Faith, Bombshells).

The Cabinet follows an Indian-American teen, Avani, and Midwestern jock, Trent, on a teleporting mission across a post-Cold War landscape to collect bizarre relics. Why? Well, because they need to summon the arcane powers of a resplendent 17th-century cabinet to fix a teeny-tiny mistake the last time Avani used it … a gaffe that inadvertently unleashed an ancient evil from its prison and killed her parents.

“Equally beautiful and creepy, medieval Display Cabinets (Kabinettschranks) inspired David and I after seeing one in person at a local museum," said Hart. "We immediately knew we wanted to build a story around a baroque version with arcane power — but sidestepped a dark, gothic horror tale in favor of a vibrant supernatural adventure set in the early '90s. The result is a world that combines Constantine with Clarissa Explains It All through a Lisa Frank-esque lens that only Chiara could deliver.”

Ebeltoft added: “Jordan and I, while cooking up The Cabinet, had an underlying rule for our occult and character-driven adventure — always have fun. And that’s what we did. Even when Avani, our heroine, comes face to face with uber-dark moments and calamitous escapades, our emotional meter never dips into depressing. It swings dramatic for sure, but that just makes the levity before and after those tense moments more rewarding … for us at least … hopefully for y’all too.”

“Drawing The Cabinet truly took my art to another level,” said Raimondi. “I've never had the chance of drawing such fun, unhinged and vivid pages as the ones written by Jordan and David before. I really felt I could create without limits, and I wanted my colors to fully reflect the fun I had in putting this project together! You'll never know what crazy and hilarious challenge Avani and Trent have to face next, so put on your best '90s outfit and get ready to be hooked!”

I believe Kabinettschranks also inspired Guillermo del Toro's Cabinet of Curiosities.

12369457076?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369457095?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369457464?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369457482?profile=RESIZE_180x180

CREEPSHOW: JOE HILL’S WOLVERTON STATION (ONE-SHOT)

12366115291?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366115671?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366116066?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Joe Hill, Jason Ciaramella | Art/Cover: Michael Walsh | Variants: Gabriel Rodriguez, Maria Wolf | $4.99

Creepshow alum and New York Times Bestseller Joe Hill (Heart-Shaped Box, Locke & Key) is joined by Jason Ciaramella (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Magic: The Gathering) and Michael Walsh (The Silver Coin) to adapt his acclaimed short story in an expanded format with new twists and turns ... including a special appearance by The Creep! They tell the terrifying tale of a businessman whose commute is about to get a lot hairier when his train makes an unexpected stop at “Wolverton Station.”

Skybound and Image Comics offer a terrifying first look at Creepshow: Joe Hill’s Wolverton Station, the all-new one shot of the smash-hit, Eisner Award nominated comic book anthology based on Greg Nicotero’s Shudder TV series produced and licensed by Cartel Entertainment. Brian Witten is overseeing on behalf of Nicotero’s Monster Agency Productions.

More juicy pseudo-EC horror. Yay!

12366116084?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366116477?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366116285?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DUTCH #1

12369454073?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369454461?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369455054?profile=RESIZE_180x180

Story: Joe Casey | Art/Cover: Simon Gane | $3.99

Mini-Series Premiere. The legendary '90s super-soldier returns for an all-new adventure! An enemy from the past has forced Dutch back into the belly of the beast-but will his former teammates welcome him back? Or will a cybernetic kill team get to him first? It's balls-to-the-wall action from the team of Casey and Gane! Plus: an exclusive variant cover by legendary Dutch creator Chap Yaep!

"As soon as I read Joe’s script for Dutch, I wanted to draw it," said Gane. "It’s literally explosive from the start and manages to be both bombastic and deft throughout, and so much fun! He’s cooking alright. Like a Michelin-starred chef with a flamethrower."

Casey added: "Believe me when I say, Dutch #0 is just the beginning. This new miniseries with the great Simon Gane is the next, white-hot phase of something much bigger — maybe the biggest, most expansive story I've ever told at Image Comics. Personally, I can't wait for readers to see the mayhem that Simon and I are cooking up, taking the classic Image action aesthetic and launching it into the next decade!"

Another super-soldier from the '40s. Did Image have a single original idea in the '90s?

THE INFERNALS #1

12369468899?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Ryan Parrott, Noah Gardner | Art/Cover: John Pearson | $3.99

Co-writers Ryan Parrott (Rogue Sun, Power Rangers) and WGA Award nominee Noah Gardner are joined by Eisner Award-winning artist John Pearson (The Department of Truth, Blue in Green) for the The Infernals. 

Abraham “Abe” Morgenstern, the son of Satan, has one month to live. Before he dies, he must decide which of his three wayward children — volatile narcissist Nero, conflicted field operative Jackal, or troubled schoolgirl Bee — will inherit his shadowy empire. But will Abe ever be able to truly cede control of the Apocalypse? Or does the Antichrist have something else up his sleeve …

"I am so fired up (pun very much intended) to finally introduce the world to the first family of the apocalypse! Love them, hate them, or love-to-hate them — I hope you enjoy the ride, which has been rendered in such mind-blowing detail by the brilliant John Pearson," said Gardner.

Pearson added: "We’re dealing with the Antichrist, their Demonic family and the impending Apocalypse, so coming up with a visual approach to match that level of intensity meant making my own personal pact with the Devil. I've drawn inspiration from the lurid colour palettes of Italian Giallo cinema, the rawness of late ’80s painted comics, and the feel of Vertigo titles at their peak. This is a love-letter to everything that got me hooked on the medium in one glorious and hellish story."

"Every once in a while, you hear an idea and you think, 'Oh, someone has to do that.' Well, when Noah pitched me his concept for The Infernals, I absolutely flipped," said Parrott. "The themes. The characters. The imagery. The possibilities were endless. I love that it's both epic and yet personal and intimate at the same time. We can explore commentaries on corporate culture and organized religion while also focusing on absentee fathers and sibling rivalries. It's honestly just a complicated family drama ... but the stakes happen to be the end of the world."

Is it Othello, or is it Succession? With demons, I mean.

12369469078?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369469270?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369469476?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369469487?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369469653?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DARK HORSE

BLUE BOOK 1947 #1

12369466466?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369466479?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: James Tynion Iv, Zac Thompson | Art: Gavin Fullerton | Art/Cover: Michael Avon Oeming | Variants: Michael Avon Oeming, Fábio Moon, Michael Allred, Cully Hammer, Joe Quinones, Christian Ward | $4.99

Long before Betty and Barney Hill excited the public with their alien encounter story, there were years and years of suspected sightings and abductions. James Tynion IV, Michael Avon Oeming, Tom Napolitano, and Dark Horse Comics return with another deeply weird non-fiction tale exploring alien sightings in the upcoming comic.

In 1947, Kenneth Arnold flew his Call-Air A-2 over the skies of the Pacific Northwest when all of a sudden, he saw a blinding flash of silver light. What followed was a bizarre and difficult to explain encounter with several flying objects that would change the course of his life forever.

Blue Book: 1947 #1 also includes a True Weird backup story by Zac Thompson (Hunt for the Skinwalker), Gavin Fullerton (The Closet) and Aditya Bidikar.

Praise for Blue Book Volume 1: 1961:

“Creepy and unnerving, Blue Book #1 is a fantastic opening to this UFO thriller and love letter to creepy encounters and strange stories from decades past.” — Monkeys Fighting Robots

“The fantastical is typically depicted in the future or at least the present, but both stories in Blue Book explore the supernatural under a historical context of the past, making the weird and unusual feel unique and new. Read Blue Book for the supernatural uniqueness but stay for the enjoyable exploration of humanity.” — AIPT Comics

“Dark Horse Comics' Blue Book #1 is an exciting exploration into some of history's strangest UFO encounters. From mysterious abductions to eerie sightings, this comic book brings these tales from beyond our world into vivid detail for readers everywhere!” — Capes & Tights

Blue Book #1 is a fun ride into historical nonfiction with a comic book twist. Even if aliens and UFOs aren’t your thing, Blue Book is an engaging and really fun read.” — Comic Watch

This strikes me as being in the vein of Silent Invasion, only with less eccentric artwork. And I enjoyed Silent Invasion! Here's a PREVIEW.

12369466497?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369467060?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369466688?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369467093?profile=RESIZE_180x180

IF YOU FIND THIS, I’M ALREADY DEAD #1

12369467678?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369467686?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Matt Kindt | Art/Cover: Dan McDaid | Variant: Brian Hurtt | $7.99

Dive deeper into the mysterious world of Matt Kindt with If You Find This, I’m Already Dead, a new multi-dimensional cosmic odyssey written by Kindt (Subgenre, Mind MGMT, BRZRKR), illustrated by Dan McDaid (Dega, Sea Dogs), colored by Bill Crabtree, and lettered by Jim Campbell. If You Find This, I’m Already Dead is presented in magazine-sized issues (8” x 10.875”) with exclusive behind-the-scenes backmatter. 

Robin is a big city reporter, embedded with U.S. Marines heading to the hostile pocket universe called Terminus. Ten minutes in, the entire marine squad is wiped out and she has to survive (and report) on her own. Terminus is full of cosmic wonders — and sci-fi “gods” that are in the middle of a political power struggle. The language is alien, and the politics are deadly. Can she survive long enough to figure out what’s going on and get home to tell the story?

On the series, Kindt said, "If Moebius, Richard Corben and Jack Kirby had a baby ... well ... they actually did. And it's us." And on the format,“We wanted to capture the great tradition of such great sci-fi magazines as Heavy Metal, Epic Magazine and 1984 with a big scuzzy cosmic sci-fi story and format."

Praise for Matt Kindt and Dan McDaid:

Hairball #1 is a brilliant collaboration between Kindt and the Jenkins that provides a passionate, unsettling story, setting the stage for an exciting miniseries.” — AIPT Comics

“[Dega is] a really special fever dream of a story. ... Grungy sci-fi mixed with an intimate lyrical concept. Inspiring!" — Christopher Cantwell, Creator of Halt and Catch Fire

“An enticing and unique slice of horror, Kindt and Jenkins deliver an opening chapter that is sure to leave fans of creepy comics begging for more.” — Monkeys Fighting Robots

“With a perfect mix of fantastical elements and noir-inspired detective fiction, this comic is sure to become a classic. Subgenre proves that good storytelling, coupled with exceptional art, can create a book that is visually and narratively pleasing.” — Capes & Tights

Dega is a mesmerising sci-fi comic. McDaid's script and his art are equally gorgeous as this long project explores more than just a planet.” — But Why Tho?

The hardest part of this to believe is that there are still reporters in the future. And that they are two-fisted reporters, like in the Golden Age.

IDW PUBLISHING

MARY TYLER MOOREHAWK HC

12369468875?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Dave Baker | Mature | $29.99

Jonny Quest meets Infinite Jest! This mind-bending book — half graphic novel, half postmodern mystery, and 25% footnotes — is a thrilling tribute to the ways we build meaning out of disposable pop culture.

WHO IS MARY TYLER MOOREHAWK? How did she save the world from a dimension-hopping megalomaniac? Why was her TV show canceled after only nine episodes? These are just a few of the questions that young journalist Dave Baker begins to ask himself as he unravels the many mysteries surrounding the obscure comic book Mary Tyler MooreHawk. However, his curiosity grows into an obsession when he discovers that the reclusive creator of his favorite globe-trotting girl detective ... is also named Dave Baker.

WHAT IS MARY TYLER MOOREHAWK? A compilation of long-lost gee-whiz adventure comics in which the world's strangest family fights to avert Armageddon ... and a bundle of magazine articles from a dystopian future where physical property is banned and entertainment is broadcast on dishwashers. It's a document-based detective story that weaves back and forth between worlds, touching on everything from corporate personhood to mutant shark-men to the meaning of fandom and reality itself. It's a show you don't remember ... and a book you won't forget.

I bet she's got spunk! (All together now: "I hate spunk.")

OTHER PUBLISHERS

A girl is instutionalized after a mental collapse following the death of a friend in Avery Hill's BARKING GN. I like the skitchy-sketchy art, as it sort of suggests a disordered mind. Here's a PREVIEW.

The military tales of the French Legionnaire soldier continue in Caliber's BATTRON THE JETTATURA GN by veteran comic writer/artist Wayne Vansant (Normandy: A Graphic History of D-Day, The Allied Invasion of Hitler's Fortress Europe). I'm not following this, but maybe you are.

Elon Musk hypnotizes Alexandra Ocasio-Cortez and turns her against her teammates in Keenspot's BIDEN'S TITANS vs. AOC (ONE-SHOT). I've said before: Quasi-political comics of this stripe are irretrievably stupid, regardless of party of policy positions, and I bet this one is, too.

Comic-strip collectors alert: The COMPLETE DICK TRACY VOL 5 1937-1938 HC ships this week, according to Diamond. (Mysteriously, I have already ordered and received my copy from InStockTrades.)

Black Panel Press' CONQUEST: JULIUS CAESAR'S GALLIC WAR GN is entirely painted, and the PREVIEW looks pretty good. 

Critical Entertainment's THE COWBOY WITH MANY HATS HC is a mature-readers Western without any supernatural elements. Here's a trailer:

Drawn & Quarterly's CURSES TP: "Deep research and loopy cartooning serve up philosophical musings while maintaining a classic comic-strip devotion to 'the gag.' " I'm guessing this 2006 book went unnoticed until Huizenga hit the big time with River at Night (2019). Which I also haven't read. Here's a PREVIEW.

Red 5's DEAD KINGDOM II #1 (OF 4) is a sequel to the 2022 medieval zombie miniseries Dead Kingdom, conveniently being released this week in trade paperback. 

The people and city of Oshawa, Ontario, disappears from space and memory in Boom's DISPLACED #1, leaving the survivors fighting to be remembered. Reminds me of the Twilight Zone episode "And When the Sky Was Opened." Here's a PREVIEW.

Raul Garcia adapts Edgar Allan Poe's THE FALL OF THE HOUSE OF USHER HC for Ablaze. I'd jump on this if I liked the art better. Here's a PREVIEW.

Uncivilized's FIRST THERE WAS CHAOS: HESIOD’S STORY OF CREATION HC "explores the formless, primordial, and extraordinary forces that preceded the Olympian gods. ... Based on Hesiod's Theogony and other classic sources, First There Was Chaos synthesizes fragmentary myths into a compelling narrative accessible to a contemporary audience." I'd bite on this if I could verify to my satisfaction that it has decent art. Can't find a preview, tho.

Balzer + Bray's THE FOX MAIDENS is "a queer, feminist reimagining of a legend from Korean mythology." I'd prefer to read an adaptation of the original myth, and interpret it for myself. This interpretation is as valid as any, but it's not for me. Here's a PREVIEW.

Clover Press is releasing yet another THE GREAT GATSBY: AN ILLUSTRATED NOVEL GN, which I will not buy. I had to write so many papers on The Great Gatsby in high school and college that I will never read it again.

NBM's NINA SIMONE IN COMICS HC gives the pianist and singer the comics bio treatment. Here's a PREVIEW.

PENTHOUSE COMICS #1: Am I curious? Sure! I'm a heterosexual male whose sex drive isn't quite dead yet. But if I want to look at naked ladies, the Internet is full of them, largely for free. I don't need to buy naughty cartoons. Here are the COVERS.

Critical Entertainment's PLANETARY #1 (OF 8) is a miniseries about 1,000 people traveling to a habitable planet by rocket to colonize it. What coud possibly go wrong? Here's a PREVIEW.

Another band gets the comics bio treatment in 10 Ton Press' ROCK & ROLL BIOGRAPHIES FOO FIGHTERS.

CEX's SUPER SCOUTS #1 launches a series where washed-up actors who used to play thinly disguised Power Rangers discover the series is based on a real intergalactic war and "must become the heroes they once pretended to be." Probably something every Power Rangers fan has dreamed of.

I think the biographical TOLKIEN: LIGHTING UP THE DARKNESS HC by Ablaze is prose with illustrations. That's my guess from the very little info provided.

Silverline's TRUMPS #1 takes place in a world called The Deck, and yes, there are four kingdoms corresponding to the four suits. I played out this story decades ago with literal playing cards when I was, like, 7. Aces were always snipers, Jacks were officers, 10s were squad leaders and if a suit lost its king, the entire suit surrendered. Here's the KICKSTARTER.

Not being a horror-movie fan, I'm a little confused about American Mythology's VALENTINE BLUFFS #1. It claims to be new stories based on the movie, but which movie? There appears to be a 1981 movie set in Valentine Bluffs, My Bloody Valentine. There was remake (with Jensen Ackles) in 2009. Then there's another My Bloody Valentine (with Gemma Atkinson, 2016) which appears unrelated. Then there's Valentine Bluffs, a sequel of sorts to the 1981 movie, which came out last year. There may be more!

Titan's CONAN THE BARBARIAN VOL. 1: BOUND IN BLACK STONE TP collects issues #1-4, plus material from the Free Comic Book Day 2023 special edition. I don't know where they found an artist who can draw exactly like John Buscema, but it's uncanny.

DIVINE POWER MADE ME #1 

12374723059?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374723254?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Tom Drogalis | Scout Comics | $4.99

Virgil, the victim of a fanatical cult, is confronted with profound questions about the universe and the nature of his existence as he journeys through the afterlife. Death becomes the catalyst for an adventure that defies his imagination, revealing unimaginable horrors and a glimmer of hope that motivates him to reunite with his recently deceased parents. Throughout his dangerous quest, Virgil encounters treacherous landscapes, and endures trials that challenge his determination. In the realm of the afterlife, with its perplexing rules, he forges an unexpected alliance and navigates through a world of mysteries.

With the word "divine" in the title, a man named "Virgil" as a character, and a trip through the afterlife as the plot, one may assume this is based in some way on The Divine Comedy, in which the Italian poet Virgil (The Aenid) is Dante Alighieri's guide through his Inferno and Purgatorio.

DRACULA: AFTER MAN #1

12374724699?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374725059?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374726460?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Konstantine Paradias | Art: Gerardo Gambone | Cover: Roy Allen Martinez | American Mythology | Mature | $4.99

Prepare for the in-your-face horror event of 2024! Vampires have always fed on the lifeblood of innocent victims ... but what if there were no sheep left in the stable? After a million-year long slumber, Dracula wakes up to find Earth (and humanity) fundamentally changed and enslaved by a vicious alien species. Faced with this strange new world, the lord of the vampires must adapt to a nightmarish existence ... or perish alongside the remnants of the people he fed upon. It's a brand-new nightmare vision of horror that will have you on the edge of your seat!

Dracula's having a moment these days, isn't he? Or maybe it just happens that the top of my reading pile seems to be full of vampires.

Anyway, this sounds pretty interesting. There's a lot of different ways it could go, not least of which would be Dracula the General, leading the remnants of humanity against overwhelming odds to victory, as Vlad Tepes did against the Turks long ago. Then after the battle, of course, he'd turn and prey on his own troops. What a guy.

Abrams' FALL THROUGH GN: "At first glance, Diamond Mine seems to have emerged in 1979 as Arkansas's first punk band. Instead, this quartet is revealed to be interdimensional travelers from 1994, guided — largely against their will — by vocalist Diana's powerful spell embedded into their song 'Fall Through.' " Stories from bands about their own secret importance make me tired. (See: Any comic book about KISS.) Maybe that's not what this is. But probably.

FIREBUGS HC

12374728084?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Nino Bulling | Drawn & Quarterly | Mature | $26.95

Everything is changing — but everything is also exactly the same. After a trip to Paris, Ingken returns home ready for a break from drugs. Their supportive partner, Lily, is flushed, excited about a new connection she's made. Although Ingken wants to be happy for her, there's a discomfort they can't shake. Sleepless nights fill with an endless scroll of images and headlines about climate disaster. A vague dysphoria simmers under their skin; they are able to identify that like Lily, they are changing, but they're not sure exactly how. Everyone keeps telling them to burn themself to the ground and build themself back up but they worry about the kind of debris that fire might leave behind.

Uh, what? Here's a PREVIEW.

HEX AMERICANA TP

12374729282?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Bree Wolf | Art: Bree Wolf | Iron Circus Comics | Middle Grade (8-12) | 356 pages | $15

A boy-meets-ghoul story at 100 miles per hour!

Ken Takamoto is a wannabe racer stuck at home for the summer, with only his mother for company. Dante Willow is a ghost stuck in the car he crashed while racing his rival 20 years ago.

When they meet by chance, Ken has the answer to both their problems: enter the local racing league Hex Americana and win the annual Grand Prix. If they win, Dante can pass on to the afterlife and Ken can keep Dante's fixed-up car to go anywhere he wants. What starts as a simple plan becomes a wild summer full of witches, gnomes, feelings, magical chickens and more as they prepare for the big race.

Will Ken and Dante finish first? Can they even make it to the finish line? And more importantly, what happens when this racing duo blooms into something more?

Bursting to the brim with crazy monsters, blazing automotive action, deep-rooted mysteries, and small-town secrets, HEX AMERICANA is the race everyone’s dying to win!

Not my cup of tea, but they sent me all this art!

12374729871?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374730067?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374730253?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374730097?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374730656?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374730673?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374730481?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374730500?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374730880?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374730895?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12374731281?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374731091?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374731299?profile=RESIZE_180x180

I RUN TO MAKE MY HEART BEAT GN

12374734676?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Rachel Khan | Art: Aude Massot | Fairsquare Comics LLC | $29.99

BLACK HISTORY MONTH!

Nina was born in a multi-cultural and multi-ethnic family. A mixed young woman with many questions about herself and her space in the world. Track and field competition will help her overcome her doubts. She runs, not to escape reality, but to be the champion of her own life!

It's the mid-1990s. Nina is 18. She's trying to find her place in a world constantly throwing her differences back at her face. Her father is black Muslim of Gambian origins, and her mother is of Polish-Jewish descent. But Nina will turn her differences into strength as she embraces track and field. She runs to escape injustice, history, the big and small things in her life.

This beautiful and inspirational graphic novel takes us through the various stages of adult life, including first loves, mourning, physical violence, self-acceptance, self-transcendence. We witness Rachel Khan's character (and quasi alter-ego) rise as a woman and a great athlete. Aude Massot sincerely and compassionately illustrates this touching story.

A critically essential message of tolerance and unity in a divided world.

This sounds painfully earnest.

LIFEBOAT

12374735299?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Mason Mendoza | Art/Cover: Leandro Rizzo | Critical Entertainment | $2.99

In the Dark Era of space time, moments before particle decay unwinds the atomic fabric of father universe as we know it, Mae, Jacob, and Dove carry the faint, flickering torch of life through an endless void. This short story is about loss, fate and the hope that we must hold dearly on our journey toward the ultimate unknown.

These are better people than me. I don't know precisely how I'd spend the last few, flickering seconds before the heat death of the universe, but I'm pretty sure drugs, alcohol and sex would be involved. Here's a PREVIEW.

QUENTIN BY TARANTINO

12326092895?profile=RESIZE_400x

Story/Art: Amazing Améziane | Titan Comics | 228 pages | $24.99

TAKE A DIVE INTO THE BRAIN OF MASTER AUTEUR, QUENTIN TARANTINO

In a first-person account, Amazing Améziane leads us through the life story of this iconic auteur, from his humble beginnings as a video shop clerk, to his rise through iconic indie blockbusters, all the way to global superstar. Discover the influences, opinions, and history of one of the world's most acclaimed filmmakers, unmistakable in his style and talent.

This October, comes QUENTIN BY TARANTINO — an original graphic novel published by Titan Comics from creator Améziane Amazing. The story transports readers into the crazy world of Quentin Tarantino – exploring the many twists and turns of his groundbreaking career to date.

QUENTIN BY TARANTINO tells the story behind Tarantino, from his humble beginnings in a video store, to crafting his indie blockbusters of the ‘90s which started a revolution in cinema and catapulted the fearless young director to international stardom. From his first two iconic feature films Reservoir Dogs (1992), and the Palme d’Or-winning Pulp Fiction (1994), all the way up to the release of his acclaimed ninth feature film, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood (2019), this graphic novel charts his meteoric rise to fame.

A celebration of Tarantino’s unmistakable style, elaborate dialogue, pop culture references, and his love of martial arts and spaghetti westerns, this tale is essential reading for Tarantino fans old and new.

"Quentin Tarantino is arguably the last great celebrity director, a creator who's almost as recognisable as the hugely influential and iconic pop-culture moments that he's brought to movie screens over the past four decades,” said Titan Comics’ Head of Creative & Business Development, Duncan Baizley. “His movies are love letters to the genres, directors and stars, as well as the books and comics he grew up with. So, it seemed perfect that writer, artist and Tarantino aficionado, Amazing Améziane, should be the one to capture this singular career's stylistic shifts and evolution almost as QT himself would probably shoot it — with flair, wit and some damn unforgettable dialogue. I think Quentin would approve."

I am SO TIRED of Quentin Tarantino.

Sure, I loved Pulp Fiction, because it was the sort of non-linear, interconnected story that had been perfected in comics and science fiction novels I had enjoyed previously, most of which had been written before Tarantino was born. But evidently movie critics — famously ignorant and scornful of other media — didn't know this, and hailed Tarantino as having created something new. And he's been dining out on Pulp Fiction ever since, with each succeeding movie less memorable (to me) than the last.

But that isn't what bothers me. It's that this "celebrity director" is more celebrity than director these days. IMHO. He's got a lot of opinions I don't agree with, most of them positioning movies (and himself) as the Center of the Universe, and he's in my news feed spouting them off a lot, which is a pea under my mattress. He says he's going to retire after The Movie Critic, and it can't happen soon enough for me. Maybe then he'll STFU. But I doubt it.

But, hey, you may be a big fan! In which case, this book is for you. 

12326093462?profile=RESIZE_180x18012326093267?profile=RESIZE_180x18012326093097?profile=RESIZE_180x18012326093857?profile=RESIZE_180x18012326093874?profile=RESIZE_180x18012326093299?profile=RESIZE_180x180

THE SECRET HISTORY OF BLACK PUNK: RECORD ZERO, 2ND EDITION

12138995059?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Raeghan Buchanan | Silver Sprocket | 64 pages | 6.625” x 10.187 | $14.99

Rushed back to print with a second edition with a spine for easy shelving!

Delve into the largely overlooked footprint that Black punks have on the underground music scene in a new archival publication brought to you by Raeghan Buchanan and Silver Sprocket. 

The Secret History of Black Punk: Record Zero by Buchanan is an illustrated roll call for punk, post-punk, hardcore, no-wave and experimental bands from ground zero ‘til now. A starting point for anyone curious, another reference for those who devour all genre-related things, or a cool artifact for anyone in the know.

This book is part of an ongoing series that covers musicians like Sister Rosetta Tharpe, Poly Styrene, Don Letts, Minority Threat and many others. From L.A. to London, from the early 1900s till today, Buchanan examines and presents narratives to show how Black musicians shape (and are shaped by) the world we live in.

Hey! A Silver Sprocket book where I understand the premise! Here's a PREVIEW.

SWEETIE CANDY VIGILANTE VOL 2 #1

12369500664?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369502054?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369502065?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Suzanne Cafiero | Art: Thiago Vale | Cover: Jeff Zornow | Dynamite | Mature | $3.99

Sweetie and her Candy Vigilante squad are back to kick off issue #1, Vol 2 of the SWEET new series with an epic "Sugartown Showdown" not to be missed! Together with her shape shifting, licorice-loving lycanthrope, Candy Wolf, and newly 'minted' ninjette warrior, Pixie Stix, Sweetie faces off with 'salty' arch nemesis Bart Volgare and his gang of thugs in the icy, snowy streets of New York City with a violently delicious fury.

So, you have chosen salt? So be it. ... Blood is spilled, lives are changed (many ended), as an army of fabled supernaturals and sugar-fueled allies hop into action to scramble bad eggs. Candy Wolf shows the crime syndicate soldiers first-hand (pun intended), what big teeth he has, while Pixie gives her newly gifted nunchucks a maiden battlefield test-spin reducing criminal weaponry to molten scrap metal! Sweetie's signature Jawbreaker gun resurfaces, armed with delicious new ammo (can't you just smell the gingerbread?), but not before she unleashes some brand new sweetly-sinister confections that wash away the naughty and leave a wicked smile on your face-literally! Isn't that NICE?

What does Bart have to say for himself about the disappearance of Sweetie's parents? Will a certain super-charged monster truck fueled by ice cream make the scene? When the candy-coated carnage ends, will the bodies be bagged before the NYC sanitation dept barrels down the block to do their rounds? Pick up the new issue and find out gum-drop!

Includes a FREE MP3 Download debuting a new, never-before-released "Hatchy Milatchy" track by Osaka Popstar recorded specifically for this issue!

Accept a little sugar in your life ... get Sweetie Candy Vigilante #1 because it's season 2 and Sweetie is the only sugar shot-caller in town!

I didn't read the first series, but as the trailer indicates, Sweetie Candy Vigilante is about cheesecake, ultra-violence and candy. Works for me!

12369501880?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369502091?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369502452?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369502477?profile=RESIZE_180x18012369502489?profile=RESIZE_180x180

TUSKERS #1 (OF 3)

12374774085?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Javier Barrios, Marc Gaffen | Art/Cover: Daniel Govar | CEX Publishing | $7.99

When a merciless poaching militia threatens a herd of African elephants, a group of wildlife conservationists must risk their own lives to guide these elephants through a perilous thousand-mile journey to the safety of an animal sanctuary. Written by Marc Gaffen (Grimm, New Amsterdam) and Javier Barrios, with breathtaking art by Daniel Govar.

The art looks beautiful. Here's a PREVIEW.

VAMPIRELLA #666

12366131255?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Christopher Priest | Art: Ergun Gunduz | Dynamite | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

Cover: Lucio Parrillo | Variants: Felipe Massafera, Carla Cohen, Cosplay/Rachel Hollon

To celebrate the start of Vampirella's sixth decade in comics, CHRISTOPHER PRIEST and ERGUN GUNDUZ continue their legendary run on the series with a mind-bending new story that launches with the landmark issue #666 — restoring the legacy numbering for the title that will continue going forward, reflecting all of Vampi's previous appearances in print. The road to #700 starts here!

This explosive tale opens with a bang as Vampirella is murdered by a mysterious blonde woman who looks exactly like her — only to awaken, alive again and surrounded by her husband, friends and pseudo-superhero mom Lilith. All seems normal and right with the world, except for her nagging suspicion that none of it actually is — and the fact that she keeps being murdered, over and over, by that strange blonde! Strap in for our weirdest yarn yet as "Beyond" takes everyone's favorite space vampire into a whole new world — one that she herself may have created!

Featuring jaw-dropping cover art by LUCIO PARRILLO, FELIPE MASSAFERA, CARLA COHEN, ERGUN GUNDUZ, and RACHEL HOLLON cosplay, this milestone 40-page issue also includes "Sanctuary," Priest's classic 6-page wordless story from 1999's Vampirella Monthly #19, illustrated by ALAN DAVIS!

PRIEST REWINDS THE CLOCK, CELEBRATES 666 ISSUES & CHARGES FORWARD IN THE MOST HISTORIC VAMPIRELLA STORY YET!

Priest, we must ask you of course what you think of the fun numbering here with Vampirella #666. You've been involved in a few big celebratory anniversary issues through your career, like Conan the Barbarian #200, the big #1,000 marks for Detective Comics and Marvel Comics, and we won't think too hard about how a #1,000,000 issue comes to be ...

I think it apropos to give the comic the same number as my age :-) I don’t know, I think the biz has changed a lot over time. A lot of us older fans really enjoyed the issue numbering and felt it important to keep our sets complete. A Number One was a huge deal, and milestone numbering was an event to be celebrated. I think all the reboots have diminished this aspect a great deal, with younger generations of fans now not as invested or not invested in quite the same way.

You first took on the helm of the Vampirella franchise in 2019 for our big 50th anniversary. It all kicked off with an echo of origins fans had previously seen for the character, with her as the sole survivor of a tragic plane crash. We hear fans will be seeing that moment again here, maybe even more than once, with a big twist. What is going down this time?

For Vampirella, we’d completed our 50th anniversary volume with our issue #25, and that allowed us to stretch and explore a bit over the stretch of the pandemic through Vampirella/Dracula: Unholy, its bookend Vampirella/Dracula: Rage and the way-too-much-fun Vampirella: Year One.

But I knew that, presuming Dynamite didn’t ship me off to the Old Writers’ Home, what I would want to do most was get back to basics. Our 50th Anniversary run began with a fairly simple premise: a single girl trying to make it on her own in the big city. She just happens to be a vampire from outer space with a pushy, vengeful mother and a collection of supernatural enemies out to kill her.

After the heaviness of Rage, wherein a vengeful Vampirella becomes consumed by darkness, I wanted to get back to where we started with the wonder, fun and poignancy of those first issues and Vampirella restored to her whimsical goodness. We’ve done that ... sorta.

There’s always a catch. I mean, that’s the fun of reading ANY story, any novel or magazine or comic. There’s the story you think you know and then there’s the unexpected curve that creates the thrill ride. And that’s where we are with issue #666, back home, back where we belong. Sorta.

One of the working titles for this series and perhaps still for the story arc is "Beyond." Could you elaborate a bit on what that means for Vampirella?

The “Beyond” arc title was intended to reflect the idea of a woman having all her wishes granted. The basic gist of my Vampirella series has always been, ostensibly, wish fulfillment. Casper The Friendly Ghost wants what we all want — community. Friends, family, love, purpose. The only problem is Casper is, in fact, a dead baby, and people find that sort of thing scary.

Vampirella’s quest for those very same things has always been complicated by the fact she is a vampire from outer space surrounded by and pursued by a wide-ranging cast of characters that might be fright at home in the ‘60s sitcom Bewitched. The suggestion is that Vampi might actually find the love and happiness she’s always sought if only these kooks would leave her alone, which of course they won’t do because they’re kooks and she’s a space vampire.

But, thought I, what if Vampirella could achieve those things, what if she could realize the fulfillment and happiness she sought? So what if we went all the way back to our beginning, strip away the tragedy, the heartbreak, the betrayals, even bring dead characters back to life? What if we did all of that ...

... only to put Vampirella into a position where she has to un-do it all, lose everything, in order to save the world? We discover Vampirella’s new status quo has been engineered, and the mechanism which created her happiness is dooming the planet.

As a writer, the main thing you try to do is put your protagonist into a headlock and then drag him or her into a dark alley toward a brick wall. Then figure out how the protagonist overcomes certain doom before the series ends. Here, in Vampirella Beyond, we’re doing that in spades.

Turkish artist Ergün Gündüz is back as well, ready to tap back into the artistic vision he helped debut with you a few years ago, flipping it on its head a bit. While also tying together everything that has been seen to date from our Free Comic Book Day #0 all the way to Vampirella/Dracula: Rage #6. How important was it to bring him back in for this particular story?

Oh, it’s vital. I wouldn’t do this idea without Ergün because Vampirella Beyond is a deconstruction of the world Ergün created. Ergün’s characters play key roles in the story and the look and unique feel of Ergün’s world is what drives this arc. We will be revisiting specific landmark scenes in the early issues that Ergün must now match perfectly (and he has!) in a kind of Groundhog’s Day round-robin.

As part of the celebration of hitting this nontraditional #666 milestone, we're including a little extra for fans at no extra cost. The issue will feature a wordless short story you did with Alan Davis in 1999, originally published in Vampirella #19, within the series fans often call the "New Monthly." What do you possibly recall about that collaboration and story?

How terrified I was of them. Of Vampirella and of Alan Davis. I had the pleasure of hanging out with Mr. Davis in Memphis recently, where I expressed (again) my appreciation for his having taken on that assignment. Yes, I’m just as big a fanboy as the next comic geek, and working with Mr. Davis on that assignment — which requires precise storytelling on his part since the story was to be “silent” — is one of the high points of my career.

This interview takes up a lot of room, but it's worth it. The way Priest articulates the job of a writer ought to be taught in universities. And hey, he mentions my home town!

12366131466?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366131288?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366131297?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366131684?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12366132479?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366132684?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366132695?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366132892?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366133065?profile=RESIZE_180x180

MORE PREVIEWS

ALPI THE SOUL SENDER VOL. 2

12373064680?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373064862?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373065064?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373065263?profile=RESIZE_180x18012161979684?profile=RESIZE_180x180

ARCHIE SHOWCASE DIGEST #17

12377976258?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377976470?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377976863?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377976683?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377976697?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377977070?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377977475?profile=RESIZE_180x180

BLADE RUNNER 2039 #10 (OF 12)

12373065866?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373065690?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373066074?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12373072692?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373072699?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373073095?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373073664?profile=RESIZE_180x180

BLOODBORNE: THE BLEAK DOMINION #4 (OF 4)

12374715494?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374715858?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374716067?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12374717463?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374717468?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374717095?profile=RESIZE_180x18012374717485?profile=RESIZE_180x180

CONAN THE BARBARIAN VOL. 1: BOUND IN BLACK STONE

12373111079?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373111256?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373110698?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12377953055?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377952860?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377953075?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377952898?profile=RESIZE_180x18012377952691?profile=RESIZE_180x180

REBEL MOON: HOUSE OF THE BLOODAXE #2 (OF 4)

12373109263?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373109453?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373109462?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373109280?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373109094?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373109859?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373109670?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373110071?profile=RESIZE_180x18012373109886?profile=RESIZE_180x180

TRANSFORMERS #5

12366121861?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366122071?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366121887?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366122267?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366122654?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366122670?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366122674?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366122491?profile=RESIZE_180x18012366122867?profile=RESIZE_180x180

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "December"?

• This character is superfluous in almost every way, and should have been left in comic book limbo.

Once again we see the power of nostalgia at work.

(Counting on it not going the The Ultimates route. Yech!)

Seconded.

TIME² OMNIBUS: Yes, this was solictied "about a million years ago" (2022 IIRC). For many years, Chaykin cited this as his favorite work although it had never been completed (two out of three graphic novels published). Now we'll get the chance to see for ourselves. And yes, the protagonist is "a snarky, good-looking, two-fisted Jewish man with great hair who gets laid a lot." Good call! (How did you know?) The characters/setting/concept was introduced in American Flagg! Special #1, which I hope will be included. Full disclosure: I adapted part of this project for a speech I gave at my niece's wedding ceremony. I have been buying so few comics lately I've been considering making monthly rather than weekly trips to my LCS. This alone will make next week's trip worth it.

03392265672.1.gif

Did Image have a single original idea in the '90s?

In the '90s? No.

(Mysteriously, I have already ordered and received my copy from InStockTrades.)

Unlike periodical comics, HC collections have no "street date." Whenever an outlet receives a collection from the distributor it's perfectly cromulent to sell it.

I had to write so many papers on The Great Gatsby in high school and college that I will never read it again.

I not only covered in high school and college, I taught it as well. Unlike you, I may read it again someday, but not anytime soon. And not a graphic novel version... ever.

I am SO TIRED of Quentin Tarantino.

Ditto.

• "December"?

Fixed. Yes, I'm old, I forget what month it is.

Once again we see the power of nostalgia at work.

I hadn't thought of that, because I never thought of Night Thrasher as interesting, unique or popular enough to have fans. G.I. Joe, Thundercats, Scooby Doo, Power Rangers, He-Man, Transformers ... these things were popular, entire generations loved them. 

But Night Thrasher? Really? Hunh.

How did you know?

Lucky guess.

"Did Image have a single original idea in the '90s?" In the '90s? No.

"Roman." (See: Namor.) "Glory." (See: Wonder Woman.) "Supreme." (See: Superman.) "Badrock." (See: The Thing.) I remember '90s Image comics with a literal ache in my bones.

I not only covered in high school and college, I taught it as well. Unlike you, I may read it again someday, but not anytime soon. And not a graphic novel version... ever.

No, no, I can't. Too many bad memories. An English class where the teacher said, "What does this green light on Daisy's dock symbolize? Anyone? Anyone?" I just wanted to go back to sleep. "MONEY!" I wanted to shout. "IT'S NOT COMPLICATED." But nobody else knew. And I was forced to take the class. At 8 in the morning, and I was working three part-time jobs to pay tuition.

THEN, when we were forced to read A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man, for me the FOURTH TIME, I had to write a paper. I did, and was actually kind of proud of some insights I summoned.

But I got an "F -- See Me" on the paper. When I went to see her -- an exchange professor from England -- she told me "I did my doctoral thesis on A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. I'm an expert on A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. This is too good a paper for an undergraduate to turn in. Where did you steal it from?"

After getting over my shock at being called a plagiarist for the only time in my life, and getting an "F" for the only time in my life, I said, "If you're an expert, shouldn't you know where I stole it from?"

She gave me a "C." 

• IF YOU FIND THIS, I’M ALREADY DEAD #1

The hardest part of this to believe is that there are still reporters in the future. And that they are two-fisted reporters, like in the Golden Age.

Maybe it's a hobby for Bruce Wayne types.

• I hadn't thought of that, because I never thought of Night Thrasher as interesting, unique or popular enough to have fans. 

Every character is someone's favorite.

"Roman." (See: Namor.) "Glory." (See: Wonder Woman.) "Supreme." (See: Superman.) "Badrock." (See: The Thing.) 

This is fun! I'll add "Blackmass." (See: Darseid.) "Prophet." (See: Captain America... barely.)

An English class where the teacher said, "What does this green light on Daisy's dock symbolize? Anyone? Anyone?" 

The first time I read Gatsby I was a sophomore in high school. It was for a unit in a class called "Contemporary Literature" in which each student read of book of his or her own choosing. That made all the difference. By the time I got to the "What does the green light symbolize" jazz, it helped that I was already familiar with the entire work and wasn't experiencing it for the first time at the glacial pace of a formal English class. 

Here's my high school plagerism story. I was a senior and had to write a term paper for both English and psychology on a topic from a suggested list for each class. One of the topics for English was "The Salem Witchcraft Trials" and one for psychology was "Mob Behavior." Rather than write two mediocre term papers, I tailored the topics into "The Salem Witchcraft Trials as an Example of Mob Behavior" and wrote one paper for two classes, but I did not plagerize (to my way of thinking); I dutifully researched the entire thing. Someone (not a teacher) told me I did, though, and I've been wondering about it ever since (not continuously, though).

• i always thought that the reason they stopped using Night Thrasher was because"thrasher" had a sexual connotation.

Urban Dictionary: The Thrasher
    1. The Thrasher- is a hand gesture with a sexual connotation. The pointer finger and middle are pointing straight up while the thumb is bent like a h…
  • The Thrasher- is a hand gesture with a sexual connotation.

I didn't know that specifically, but Night Thrasher has always sounded dirty to me. And when I try to keep it clean, it sounds like a medical condition.

Also, just knowing what it means makes me feel dirty.

Maybe it's a hobby for Bruce Wayne types.

I hadn't thought of that before, but it's a great idea! Golden Age Bruce Wayne would have made a great Golden Age reporter, and would have enjoyed it. They were always exposing criminals -- referring to their story assignments as "cases" -- and liberally applying violence without consequences. The only difference between Red Logan (also in Detective Comics) and Batman was that Red didn't wear a costume.

I did not plagiarize (to my way of thinking).

Your way of thinking is correct. You literally cannot legally plagiarize yourself. It's your work, you may use it as you like. The definition of plagiarism is to take material from some source other than yourself without attribution.

OTOH, there are other rules that could apply. If it was work for a commercial firm, they may (and usually do) have stipulations in your contract on when and where you may re-use the material, if at all. And there may be rules at some (or all) universities about using the same work for two different places, but if there is such a rule, it's one that puts yet another unnecessary hoop in front of students with little time and few resources to attain some imaginary moral high ground, and I have no patience with it. As a once-professor myself, I'd have had to follow whatever university rules there were in such a situation, but internally would have congratuled the student for his or her efficiency.

My only actual concern is that a project trying to satisfy two masters would satisfy neither. A jack of all trades, as they say, is a master of none.

To bring this back to comic books, one of the great twist endings of my youth was a Jimmy Olsen story where he took time off from work to write the Great American Novel. Stuck for a story, he time travels to the future, where a best-seller by Jimmy Olsen is for sale. He buys a copy, returns to the present, and copies it. It is a smash. Problem solved.

But the final panel had Jimmy wondering aloud, "Who wrote the book?"

Obviously Jimmy did, or rather, no one else did, so it's not plagiarism. But it is unethical, and if Jimmy wrote the book, when and where did he do it? Why can't he remember doing it? Since he's already read it (and laboriously copied it with the limited technology of the '50s) he's utterly familiar with it and cannot have the initial idea for it. So even the Jimmy in the days to come cannot originate the concept, since it pre-exists. 

So who did write the book?

• So who did write the book?

Here's how I would explain it :

First, there was the original timline (T1) in which an older Jimmy Olsen wrote the book, fair and square, with no temporal shenanigans occurring.

Then, younger Jimmy went into what was his future, obtained a copy of the book, brought  it back to what for him was the present, presumably wrote it up in manuscript form, brought it to a publisher and got it published.

To my mind, doing this caused the creation of a divergent timeline (T2), , in which Jimmy got a book published which this version of him hadn't actually published.  

So,the book was initially written in T1 by the older Jimmy and initially published in T1.  Then, time-traveling younger Jimmy took a copy of the book and brought  it back  to  his own  time and published it, causing the creation of T2, in which he publisehd the book he hadn't written.

• That's... that's how Kang would explain it. Exactly how Kang would explain it. Y-you're --

[A temporal anomaly has occurred. NING advises that you remain calm. NING will return to your expected reality. NING thanks you for your Patience]

... really smart! I wish I'd thought of that!

• I could never be Kang .I would never go around dressed like that.

This reply was deleted.