TOP PUBLISHERS

MARVEL COMICS

BLADE #7 guest stars the Hulk. (And he is peeved about something.)

MIGUEL O'HARA: SPIDER-MAN 2099 #2 (OF 5) debuts Dracula 2099.

"Giant-Size" line

GIANT-SIZE SPIDER-MAN #1

12337731894?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337732272?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337733881?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Cody Ziglar | Art: Iban Coello | Cover: Bryan Hitch | Variants: Jeehyung Lee, Dave Bardin | Teen+ | $6.99

SPIDER-MAN VS. VENOM!

Marvel Comics celebrates the 50th anniversary of GIANT-SIZE storytelling with the return of GIANT-SIZE one-shots. Like the earth-shattering Giant-Size issues of the 1970s, the new line of GIANT-SIZE will pack epic showdowns and pivotal developments for your favorite heroes. Current Miles Morales: Spider-Man scribe Cody Ziglar and Marvel Stormbreaker artist Iban Coello kick things off with a bang in January’s GIANT-SIZE SPIDER-MAN #1.

DYLAN BROCK, A.K.A. VENOM, has a bone ... or a brain ... to pick with MILES MORALES! With MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN scribe CODY ZIGLAR teaming up with IBAN COELLO (VENOM, FANTASTIC FOUR), and with a cover by the legendary BRYAN HITCH, this is a GIANT-SIZED Spidey story that can't be missed! And this is just the first of more exciting GIANT-SIZE one-shots featuring your favorite characters releasing through the first half of this year! PLUS: Includes a reprinting of ULTIMATE COMICS: SPIDER-MAN #22 by Spidey-legends Brian Michael Bendis and Sara Pichelli featuring the epic conclusion of Miles' first battle with Ultimate Venom! 

"In a series where I've had the luck to do a lot of firsts, I'm so stoked that I'm able to add Miles and Dylan's first true battle with each other to that list,” Ziglar said. “I look forward to readers seeing Iban's incredible work in another action-packed book featuring everyone's favorite Brooklyn-based Spider-Man."

In addition, GIANT-SIZE SPIDER-MAN #1 will also reprint ULTIMATE COMICS: SPIDER-MAN #22 by Spidey-legends Brian Michael Bendis and Sara Pichelli that features the action-packed conclusion of Miles' first battle with Ultimate Venom! 

Despite the sudden appearance of a bunch of 35-cent books to my already expensive comic book hobby in 1974, the high school Captain was not disappointed with the two-year run of "Giant-Size" books. Living up to their billing, they were often pretty important tales, containing a lot of big continuity. Here's a run-down of the late, lamented 1974-75 Giant-Size line:

• Giant-Size Avengers #1-5: Issue #1 was written by Roy Thomas, featuring the return of the Golden Age Whizzer, the first appearance of Nuklo and the origin of Quicksilver and Scarlet Witch (it didn’t take). Issues #2-4 were written by regular Avengers scribe Steve Englehart in continuity, but usually with the climax of whatever was going on — which included the Celestial Madonna saga, a long-running battle with Kang/Immortus/Rama-Tut/Scarlet Centurion, the first reappearance of still-dead Wonder Man and the death of the Swordsman. The Vision got an origin (which didn't take). The fifth issue was a reprint (of Avengers Annual #1), a harbinger of cancellation.
  • Giant-Size Chillers #1-3: The first issue had some original one-off horror stories fronting the reprints, but the title went all-reprint for its last two issues. Mind you, some of those reprints were by famous names, and/or pre-Code. I didn't mind spending the 35 cents to read them.
  • Giant-Size Chillers Featuring the Curse of Dracula #1:  Originally planned to have rotating cover features, Giant-Size Chillers ran for one issue before changing its name to Giant-Size Dracula, and another Giant-Size Chillers was launched later (see above). The first issue introduced Lilith, daughter of Dracula. Giant-Size Dracula #2-3 had new lead stories by Chris Claremont and Don Heck, whereas David Anthony picked up the writing with issue #4 and Virgil Redondo drew the last issue’s lead story. There was other funky stuff in here, like an 8-page horror story by Kraft and John Byrne, not to mention tons of ‘50s horror reprints.
  • Giant-Size Conan #1-5: The first four issues ran a serialized adaptation of Robert E. Howard’s “Hour of the Dragon” by Roy Thomas, Gil Kane and Tom Sutton, but the fifth issue was a reprint and the last two installments found a home in Savage Sword of Conan. These issues may have been the first time Kane drew the Cimmerian.
  • Giant-Size Creatures #1: Here’s where Greer “The Cat” Grant becomes Tigra. Jack Russell, the Werewolf by Night, co-stars and has a solo story. This becomes Giant-Size Werewolf with its second issue and teams Jack Russell with Frankenstein’s Monster and Morbius in issues #2 and 4, and tells the Russell family history in #3. Dr. Paingloss debuts in issue #5.
  • Giant-Size Defenders #1-5: This series had new lead stories throughout, and featured stories with the Grandmaster, Son of Satan, Yellowjacket and the Squadron Supreme.
  • Giant-Size Invaders #1: An all-new story by Roy Thomas and Frank Robbins tells the origin of the team and introduces Master Man.
  • Giant Size Kid Colt #1-3: The first two issues had about 20 pages of new material before the reprints kicked in, including a Kid Colt-Two-Gun Kid team-up, but 1975 me couldn’t really tell the difference between old and new Western material. The third issue was all reprint.
  • Giant-Size Man-Thing #1-5: The book that gave rise to a thousand dirty jokes was really pretty good, with new stories by Steve Gerber and a bunch of different artists, including Mike Ploog and John Buscema.
  • Giant-Size Super Heroes Featuring Spider-Man #1: This title was launched with the intention of starring different characters every issue. But Marvel must have realized that Spider-Man sold better than any of their other characters, duh, and with the second issue it was changed to Giant-Size Spider-Man — although they started the numbering over. All seven issues acted as basically a Giant-Size Spider-Man Team-Up. Co-stars (who got co-billing) included Man-Wolf/Morbius, Dracula, Master of Kung Fu, Doc Savage, Punisher, Man-Thing and Human Torch. The last issue was a reprint of Amazing Spider-Man Annual #3.
  • Giant-Size Super Stars #1: This was another book originally conceived as having rotating cover features, but with the second issue became Giant-Size Fantastic Four — and this time the numbering stuck. Giant-Size Super Stars #1 and Giant-Size Fantastic Four #2-4 told pretty big stories, including the introduction of future X-Man Madrox the Multiple Man. Issues #5-6 were reprints of FF annuals. As I mentioned earlier, Giant-Size Super Stars #1 was an enormous homage (or "swipe" if you prefer), where artist Rich Buckler, in his his best Kirby style, used Fantastic Four #25 as a template and simply switched the main figures.
  • Giant-Size Super-Villain Team-Up #1-2 featured two Subby-Dr. Doom battles by Roy Thomas, John Buscema (issue #1) and Mike Sekowsky (issue #2). Pretty important to the history of the two characters' history!
  • Giant-Size X-Men #1: Do I really have to point out how important this book was? There was also the little-known Giant-Size X-Men #2, which was all reprint (of The X-Men’s first Sentinel battle).
  • Giant-Size Captain America #1, Giant-Size Captain Marvel #1, Giant-Size Daredevil #1, Giant-Size Doc Savage #1, Giant-Size Doctor Strange #1, Giant-Size Hulk #1, Giant-Size Iron Man #1, Giant-Size Marvel Triple Action #1, Giant-Size Power Man #1 and Giant-Size Thor #1 were all-reprint books.

Let's hope this new line can live up to the standard set by its predecessor.

Here's a PREVIEW.

"Gang War"

DAREDEVIL: GANG WAR #2

12337733088?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337733455?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337733465?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Erica Schultz | Art/Cover: Sergio Davila | Teen+ | $3.99

AS GANG WAR RAGES ON, A NEW PLAYER EMERGES!

New York City's criminal element stands poised to tear itself and the entire island to pieces with only Elektra standing between them and the citizens of Hell's Kitchen! Fighting against foes first seen in Saladin Ahmed and Aaron Kuder's first explosive chapter of DAREDEVIL, Elektra has her hands full to begin with — but a dangerous new player with powerful and lethal abilities and skills to match Elektra's own explodes into the fray!  

Hey, when did Kingpin switch his affections from Vanessa to Typhoid Mary? I may want to read that on the Marvel app.

"Gang War" continues this week in LUKE CAGE: GANG WAR #3 and MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #15.

Previews are attached.

"Fall of X"

RISE OF THE POWERS OF X #1

12332928099?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345090697?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Kieron Gillen | Art/Cover: R. B. Silva | Teen+ | $5.99

THE FIGHT FOR KRAKOA HAS BEEN LOST!

Ten years ago, the mutants returned from their exile to try and reclaim the Earth from the forces of Orchis. They failed. Now, within the victorious Orchis with their gauntlet choking the world, Nimrod and Omega Sentinel put their plan within a plan into action. They are to summon their binary god to consume everything in their accession. All that stands between them is the X-Men. What can they do? They're the X-Men. They'll find a way. That's their power. So begins a story beyond time and space, with the rise of powers beyond our petty human intelligence. From writer Kieron Gillen (IMMORTAL X-MEN, UNCANNY X-MEN) and artist R.B. Silva (POWERS OF X, CAPTAIN AMERICA: SYMBOL OF TRUTH) comes half of the story that will bring the Krakoa Age to its conclusion!  

Mutants from Arakko to Krakoa to the Arctic Circle are gearing up for war as the Trial of Cyclops begins. I've discovered that if you don't want to read the comics but still keep abreast of the latest developments, Bleeding Cool is a good place to go. 

Here's a PREVIEW.

12345091080?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345091091?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345091266?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345091272?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12332928289?profile=RESIZE_180x18012332928676?profile=RESIZE_180x18012332928701?profile=RESIZE_180x18012332929266?profile=RESIZE_180x180

"Ultimate Universe"

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #1

12337727288?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337727652?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337727672?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Jonathan Hickman | Art/Cover: Marco Checchetto | Colors: Matthew Wilson | Variants: Marco Checchetto, David Marquez, Mateus Manhanini, Mark Bagley, Nic Klein, Tony Daniel, Ryan Stegman, J. Scott Campbell, Elizabeth Torque | Teen | $5.99

THE NEW ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN FOR A NEW ULTIMATE UNIVERSE!

Forged by Jonathan Hickman and Bryan Hitch in the recent Ultimate Invasion limited series, Marvel’s new Ultimate Universe will be home to radical transformations of your favorite heroes, and nowhere is this more apparent than in the upcoming ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN!

Written by Hickman and drawn by acclaimed artist Marco Checchetto, ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN is the first ongoing series of the new Ultimate line and presents a startling twist to the Spider-Man mythos. After the Maker used time travel to create a world without heroes, Peter Parker lived a relatively normal life, marrying Mary Jane and building a family. Now, it’s time to set things right! Learning the truth behind his reality, Peter will step up to become the Amazing Spider-Man the world didn’t know it was missing! Glimpse into this Spidey saga unlike any other in the new ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN TRAILER, featuring never-before-seen artwork. The trailer introduces readers to the Parkers and shows Peter web-slinging into his heroic destiny and battling new versions of his classic villains, including Kingpin and Green Goblin!

"When we decided that we were going to do a book about an older Peter Parker becoming Spider-Man, we really wanted to lean into him starting his superhero life from a very different place than what's traditionally expected," Hickman explained. "Peter and MJ being married is one of many decisions we made that underline this being quite a 'different' kind of Spider-Man story."

We finally get the Spidey continuity we might have had if not for "Brand New Day." Sort of. But does the Maker's tinkering with the timeline on Earth-1610 means that the original Ultimate Peter Parker by Brian Michael Bendis and Mark Bagley never existed?

Here's a PREVIEW.

12337728068?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337728254?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337728273?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337728098?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12337728464?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337728665?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337728496?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337729059?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337729272?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337729456?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12337729656?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337729853?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337729868?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337729687?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337729695?profile=RESIZE_180x180

"Sabretooth War"

WOLVERINE #41

12198976860?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Benjamin Percy & Victor LaValle | Art: Cory Smith & Geoff Shaw | Cover: Leinil Francis Yu | Teen+ | $4.99

Wolverine and Sabretooth have one of bloodiest feuds in all of pop culture history and this January, their rivalry reaches a brand new peak in “Sabretooth War,” a 10-part epic coming to Benjamin Percy’s run on Wolverine. Shipping bimonthly, “Sabretooth War” will begin in WOLVERINE #41 and culminate in the landmark WOLVERINE #50. Having shepherded the character through the Krakoan age, it’s finally time for Percy to pit Wolverine against his greatest foe! Joining him for the occasion will be award-winning author of The Changeling and The Devil in Silver and the writer behind Sabretooth’s own journey the last few years, Victor LaValle. They’ll be teaming up with two of the industry’s hottest artists, Cory Smith and Geoff Shaw, to deliver the definitive Wolverine and Sabretooth story.

With each issue co-written by Percy and LaValle, the Wolverine-lead chapters illustrated by Smith and Sabretooth-lead chapters illustrated by Shaw, the story will not only explore the pair’s current Fall of X status quos, but also shed new light on their dark history with shocking revelations behind their undying hatred for each other. It’s a war decades in the making and it kicks off when Sabretooth revives a deadly tradition — with some of Logan’s loved ones in the crossfire. Only this time, he has an entire army behind him…

Get ready for the showdown to end all showdowns — WOLVERINE VS. SABRETOOTH! It’s been years since these heavy hitters have crossed paths in the Marvel Universe, but as Krakoa falls, so rises Sabretooth — and he’s out for revenge! They threw Victor Creed in the Pit, but he’s free and, wielding an army of Sabretooths, will prove once and for all why he is Logan’s ultimate nemesis.

“Sabretooth is the definition of big bad — one of the nastiest, cruelest, scariest villains in the 616 and Wolverine's greatest nemesis,” Percy explained. “Which is exactly why we haven't allowed their stories to intersect — during this age of Krakoa — until now. The tension has built up painfully, and now these two savage titans are going to claw and slash their way into each other's lives again in what will be the most violent Wolverine story in Marvel history.”

“I’m geeked I get to continue the story of Sabretooth that I began in that first mini-series back in 2021,” LaValle added. “Even more thrilled to tell it in tandem with my friend Ben Percy, who knows how to thrill and terrify with the best of them. We plan to make this a visceral story of two lifelong enemies coming to their most violent ends and I’m excited to get the blood flowing.”

“I've known Victor LaValle for a long time — as a reader and as a friend,” Percy continued. “His novels are virtuosic and deeply felt and scary as hell. He's a horror head and a giant comics nerd, and his work on Sabretooth has been brilliant. It's such a pleasure and an honor to join forces with him on this event. I worked with Geoff Shaw on the Ghost Rider/Wolverine: Weapons of Vengeance crossover. And I've been working with Cory Smith on Ghost Rider. They are exactly suited for this project with their heavy shadows and rough texturing and fearlessness. We promise to hold nothing back.”

Sabretooth is such a one-note (and repulsive) character that I always wanted him put down for good. But he must have his fans, because he's still here.

Here's a PREVIEW.

12345091864?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345091671?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345091683?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DC COMICS

ACTION COMICS #1061 features Jason Aaron's first Superman work.

BATMAN BEYOND #1 gets the facsimile treatment.

TITANS: BEAST WORLD #4 (OF 6)

12336959466?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Tom Taylor | Art: Lucas Meyer | Cover: Ivan Reis | $4.99

A TITAN FALLS! With the greatest minds and killers of the DCU at her disposal, Amanda Waller unleashes her malevolent master plan to remake the world in her image. With the Titans off the board, do the beasts stand a chance? The Wall’s hunt begins here!

Nothing good ever came from a sentence that begins, "Amanda Waller called today, and ..."

12336959487?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336959498?profile=RESIZE_180x18012336959662?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12346640872?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346640882?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346641057?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346641265?profile=RESIZE_180x180

IMAGE COMICS

NORMALMAN 40TH ANNIVERSARY OMNIBUS HC: The premise of this book struck  me as something every comics reader comes up with when he or she is 10 years old — I certainly did — but as they grow up realize the idea is kinda childish and unworkable. And yet, here it is. Not only did it get published, but it served as an entrée for the creator to become one of the Image founders — and a millionaire. Life is funny that way.

ADVENTUREMAN: GHOST LIGHTS #1

12224768889?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345035678?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Matt Fraction | Art/Cover: Dodson & Dodson | Variant: Swayby $3.99

Bestselling creative trio — writer Matt Fraction (Sex Criminals, Hawkeye), artist/colorist Terry Dodson (Red One, Harley Quinn), and inker Rachel Dodson (Red One, Harley Quinn) — join forces for an all-new Adventureman chapter. This two-issue story arc is set to launch this December from Image Comics.

When the Good Guys of the Golden Age come back, all their ghosts follow — now Claire, the new Adventureman, and her maybe-beau Chris, the new Crossdraw Kid, defend peace on earth from a phantom empire of crime!

"We’re thrilled to be back in the ADVENTUREVERSE and having Claire and the rest of the ADVENTURE gang back in stores," said Dodson.

Fraction added: "Working on this rip-roaring pulp epic of high adventure is the most fun I've ever had writing a comic, and I can't wait for everyone to see what Terry, Rachel and I have been cooking up next for Adventureman!"

Have you noticed Matt Fraction's name at the end of Apple's Monarch: Legacy of Monsters TV show? Evidently Fraction is now a big-time TV producer more than a comic book writer. Good for him, but I'll miss his name in comic book credits.

PETE TOWNSHEND'S LIFE HOUSE HC/SLIPCASE EDITION

12224755668?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: James Harvey, David Hine | Art: Max Prentis | Letters: Micah Myers | Inks: Mick Gray | Cover: Dean Paris | Art/Cover: James Harvey | Vinyl LP format (12.25" x 12.25") | $49.99/$79.99

Image Comics is pleased to announce the forthcoming original graphic novel, based on rock music legend Townshend's 1970 screenplay and related materials of the same name, which in turn went on to inspire The Who’s 1971 globally bestselling and universally beloved album, Who’s Next. 

Life House has always needed a story that makes sense but without the egos of new creatives who think they can ‘fix’ what was wrong with my first draft," said Townshend. "The graphic novel is built around that first draft written prior to recording sessions and workshops at the Young Vic in 1971. A second draft with some good ideas from Roger in 1976 added some cohesion and more exciting collateral which really suits the comic format.
The art is beautiful and dense, colourful of course and engaging. The artists and their team have made an amazing and hugely collectible piece that adds depth and clarity to an otherwise complex story. I’m delighted with the comic. Life House is reborn!”

Set in a dystopian future where music has been outlawed, Pete Townshend's Life House follows a small band of rebels who stage an underground concert in an effort to undermine a tyrannical leader ... and free Britain and all of humanity from a grisly fate.

“Growing up, The Who were one of my favorite bands, and Who’s Next definitely loomed large in their discography as a major touchstone. From Tommy to Who’s Next to Quadrophenia, Pete Townshend has always not only distinguished himself as one of rock’s most ambitious songwriters, but also a natural storyteller, so it’s both a pleasure and a thrill to see one of his most legendary projects take on a new life as a graphic novel," said Eric Stephenson, publisher and chief creative officer at Image Comics. "Anyone who has been a fan of Pete and The Who for as long as I have is well versed in the history of Lifehouse and how it became Who’s Next, so helping to finally get Pete's story into people’s hands is nothing short of incredible."

Several members from the graphic novel team will attend this year's New York Comic Con for a live panel discussing the project, with Townshend scheduled to join via Zoom.

“Helping Pete to advance his epic vision for Life House has been a dream come true," said Jeff Krelitz, CEO of RockBox Studios. "Assembling and working with a team of unbelievably talented creators to help bring this project to life has been even more rewarding. If you’re a fan of The Who, or even just a fan of great science fiction, you’ll find a new home in Pete Townshend's Life House.

Originally envisioned as a sci-fi rock epic to follow-up The Who's rock opera Tommy, and put aside 50 years ago — in favor of releasing some of the project’s songs on Who’s Next, like “Baba O’Riley,” “Won’t Get Fooled Again” and “Behind Blue Eyes” — Pete Townshend's Life House will finally take center stage.

Hine added: “Working on Life House has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my career in comics. The challenge was to finally realize Pete Townshend’s visionary story of a sound that transcends human fallibility and unifies all human consciousness, and along the way to create a page-turning thriller with mind-blowing visuals. The artists on this book have performed like your dream supergroup.”

“Being part of the creation of such a prolific comic has been exciting and challenging," said Prentis. "This is my first comic I've worked on, so it was a steep learning curve; it was truly being thrown in the deep end, but with the experience of Mick, Hannah, and David, it felt like a swim. Making and finishing a part of Pete's original idea from five decades ago and being part of such a monumental piece has made me feel we've really accomplished something big here.”

So, I've been a Who fan since I was a lad — Who's Next was one of the first albums I ever had, a Christmas gift from my brother — but the lyrics to most of the songs always seemed oddly specific but weirdly meaningless. Now I know why: There was an underlying story that Who songwriter Pete Townshend didn't have the platform at the time to tell.

Honestly, as much as I love The Who and Who's Next, I think it's a profoundly silly story: A future fascist state outlaws music, and an underground, ever-moving rock band ("Going Mobile") saves the world by finding the perfect note ("Pure and Easy") that shatters the government's hold on people's minds. Now they "Won't Get Fooled Again."

Well, of course a rock musician thinks rock music is the most important thing ever and will save the world. If a chef was writing this, then cooking would save the world. But news flash: The guys with the guns don't care about music or cooking, otherwise Pussy Riot would have overthrown Vladimir Putin. Or Guy Fieri. AK-47s beat guitars and saucepans every time. 

But despite all that, I'm halfway convinced to buy the expanded Who's Next/Life House Super Deluxe Edition. When all's said and done, I am still a lifelong Who fan.

12224755875?profile=RESIZE_400x12224756066?profile=RESIZE_400x12224756458?profile=RESIZE_400x12224756277?profile=RESIZE_400x

DARK HORSE

FAFHRD AND THE GRAY MOUSER OMNIBUS TP

10857217664?profile=RESIZE_710x

Story: Fritz Leiber | Art: Mike Mignola, Howard Chaykin, Al Williamson, Walter Simonson | 320 pages | 7” x 10” | $29.99

Fritz Leiber ranks among the giants of fantasy and science fiction visionaries, capturing multiple Hugo, Nebula, and World Fantasy Awards and influencing a generation of writers.

And his most renowned creations are the swashbuckling Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser stories.

Collected here are adaptations of some of the finest of these tales — including the Hugo and Nebula Award winning “Ill Met in Lankhmar” — by comics legends Howard Chaykin, Mike Mignola, Dennis O’Neil, Al Williamson, and more. Join the hulking barbarian and the diminutive rogue as they battle swordsmen, necromancers, and flagons of strong drink!

This new omnibus edition collects Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser and Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser: the Cloud of Hate and Other Stories by comics legends Howard Chaykin, Mike Mignola, Dennis O’Neil, Walter Simonson and Jim Starlin, and includes the Hugo and Nebula Award winning “Ill Met in Lankhmar” by Chaykin, Mignola and Sherrilyn Van Valkenburgh. Join the hulking barbarian and the diminutive rogue as they battle swordsmen, necromancers and flagons of strong drink!

Praise for Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser:

“Some of the grandest work in fantasy by a true master.” — Newsarama

I loved this when it first came out. This series even prompted me to read the books! I have no idea how well it's aged, but with Mike Mignola, Howard Chaykin and Walter Simonson involved, how bad could it be?

Here's a PREVIEW.

IDW PUBLISHING

JOHN ROMITA’S AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: THE DAILY STRIPS ARTIST’S EDITION

11004134463?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Stan Lee | Art: John Romita Sr. | $150.00

Spider-Man is one the most popular characters in the history of comics. This Artist's Edition collects high-resolution scans of the very earliest "Amazing Spider-Man" daily strips by the two creators most associated with the Web-Slinger, Stan "The Man" Lee and "Jaunty" John Romita! Approximately 300 (!) original daily strips have been scanned, all from 1977 and 1978. The strip debuted on January 3, 1977, and the entire first two months of the strip are included in this volume. Spider-Man's origin is recapped and it's a Who's Who of all your favorite Spidey characters. Each page is meticulously scanned at high resolution and reproduced at the same size they were drawn. The only better way to view this art would have been to be standing over John Romita's drawing board as he was creating them!

I'm undecided, Legionnaires. Anyone getting this?

MORE PUBLISHERS

RUN AND HIDE: HOW JEWISH YOUTH ESCAPED THE HOLOCAUST GN: This Clarion Books offering seems educational.

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #136 has two new stories with a character, Young Doctor Masters, and a new one, Fran Frazer.

X-O MANOWAR UNCONQUERED #5: Valiant alert!

ACID CHIMP VS. BUSINESS DOG (ONE-SHOT)

12346657862?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346657877?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Mark Russell, Bryce Ingman | Art: Peter Krause | Art/Cover: Steve Pugh | Ahoy | Mature | $3.99

AHOY's breakout animal stars come muzzle to muzzle in this fifth-anniversary one-shot! Business Dog from Billionaire Island controls the wealth of nations! Acid Chimp from My Bad has been abducted by crooks who want him to kill the canine trillionaire with corrosive acid! And why wouldn't he? Splashing acid is the only thing that Acid Chimp enjoys. By the superstar creative teams of both books, including multiple award winner Mark Russell!

Ahoy Comics alert!

12346658674?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346658688?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346659255?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346659469?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346659476?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346659498?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DISNEY VILLAINS: CRUELLA DE VIL #1

12337727453?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Sweeney Boo | Art: Miriana Puglia | Cover: Sweeney Boo | Dynamite | $3.99

The beloved Disney villain — in her own FABULOUS series, darling!

Even though there's absolutely no hard evidence that noted couturière Cruella De Vil was ever involved in the theft of any Dalmatian puppies, her name has been ruined in all of the tabloids, and now her reputation in the fashion world is hanging by a thread. Which is why she's willing to do anything — ANYTHING! — to restore her good name — even stealing the royal family's priceless jewels!

How will that restore her reputation, you ask? You'll just have to pick up this brand new entry in Dynamite's Disney Villains adventures to find out! With a story (and a cover) by the astonishingly talented SWEENEY BOO, and interior art by the continentally sophisticated MIRIANA PUGLIA, Disney Villains: Cruella De Vil #1 also features covers from the intensely fashionable JOSHUA MIDDLETON!

Here's A LETTER from writer Sweeney Boo.

I didn't watch the movie (despite being an Emma Stone fan), because I don't think a woman who skins puppies to make her coats can be redeemed, or even be made sympathetic. Nor should she! I know that's what they're trying to do, so I'm not gonna participate.

12337725473?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337725488?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337725678?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12337726056?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337726067?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337725879?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337725901?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337726463?profile=RESIZE_180x18012337726496?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DISTEMPER #1 (OF 3)

12345041499?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345041677?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345041883?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Tony Bushell | Art/Cover: Nenad Cvitcanin | Blood Moon Comics | $4.99

Just getting by in this post-apocalyptic shell of a world where man's best friend has caused the death of 90% of humanity is already hard enough, but it becomes exponentially more deadly when a group of survivors inadvertently rescue a kidnapped woman and find themselves inexorably dragged into an unrelenting struggle against a family of better armed — and much more dangerous — adversaries.

Is this a continuation of a previous story, where we're supposed to know how dogs caused the apocalypse? I mean, the title is a clue, but the blurb reads as if we're coming in on the second act. 

KENT MENACE VS TECHNOFREAK #1

12345042675?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345042892?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: John Charles, Scott Braden | Art: Frank Fosco | Brilliant Enterprise | $6.99

One of comics greatest artists, JACKSON "BUTCH" GUICE, is no stranger to Scott Braden and Mike Malbrough's "MYSTERIOUS MARINER," "SUPERNATURAL SAILOR," and last but not least, just plain "WEIRD HERO." That's right, GUICE has created images of KENT MENACE -- sailor of the ghostly PANGEAN SEA and comic book hero turned reality's champion — for both THE OVERSTREET GUIDE TO COLLECTING COMICS and inside KENT MENACE QUARTERLY #1. Now, he produces a must-have VARIANT COVER to this comic book crossover that takes place from modern day GREECE to a darkly futuristic LONDON TOWN. Featuring an epic story by John Charles, script by creators Charles and Braden, and amazing art by master illustrator Frank Fosco, the comic also comes with scripts, process art, among other bonus material. What else is there to say but: HUZZAH!

Why is Elvis fighting Bullseye? I guess I'd have to read this to find out!

NOTZILLA ONE-SHOT

12345047882?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345048081?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345048276?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Lukman Hadi, Mitch Teemley | Art: Zumart Putra Cover: Ben Dunn | Variants: Fred Perry, Hiroshi Kanatani | Antarctic Press | $4.99

Adapted from the hit cult movie!  A strange egg lands in Cleveland and hatches to become the giant monster Notzillla!  It rampages through the city in its search for the one thing it desires ... BEER!

Note the homage to Marvel's Godzilla #1. 

And evidently there's a "hit cult movie" attached, although "hit cult movie" strikes me as an oxymoron.

REBEL MOON: HOUSE BLOOD AXE #1 (OF 4)

12345051096?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Zack Snyder | Writer: Mags Visaggio | Artist: Clark Bint | Cover: Artgerm | Variants: Rafael Albuquerque, Baldemar Rivas, Andrea Olimpieri, Federico Bertoni | Titan Comics | $3.99

COMIC BOOK PREQUEL TO THE HIGHLY-ANTICIPATED NETFLIX MOVIE,REBEL MOON !

STORY BY ACCLAIMED DIRECTOR ZACK SNYDER (300, MAN OF STEEL, AND ARMY OF THE DEAD) AND WRITTEN BY AWARD-WINNING COMICS WRITER MAGS VISAGGIO.

As war is looming on the horizon on the planet Shasu, the reluctant ruler of the Bloodaxe family is conflicted between living up to his father’s domineering legacy and maintaining the peace. It is up to him to settle the conflicts within himself, and his family, before the entire planet erupts in war.

I didn't like Zack Snyder's Man of Steel, as I didn't think he understood any of the characters. (Especially Pa Kent, who was willing to let children die to protect Clark's secret, and Kal-El, the character who always finds a way to preserve life, not finding a way and killing Zod. Also, half of Metropolis was blown away as collateral damage, and nobody blinked an eye, including Superman.) Then came Dawn of Justice, which added Batman to the list of characters I don't think Synder understands. (Batman, a character who famously has a code against killing, was killing people willy-nilly. Superman was right to try to stop him.) Finally there was Justice League, which added Flash, Aquaman and Cyborg to the list of characters I don't think Snyder understands. (It clearly wasn't Barry Allen or Arthur Curry in that movie. And Cyborg was wallpaper.) And, weirdly, the advertising tagline for the movie was "Unite the Seven," but there were only six League members, so add math to the things I don't think Snyder understands.

Then I read about his plans for the proposed Justice League trilogy, and was further appalled. You'll note that Snyder killed off Jimmy Olsen casually in Man of Steel. He killed off Robin (off-panel) and Superman in Dawn of Justice (he got better). He killed off Steppenwolf in Justice League. Then he planned on killing off Lois Lane in Justice League II (after she cheats on Superman with Batman) and Batman in Justice League III. Anyone seeing a pattern?

I finally came to the conclusion that I'm not going to like anything Zack Snyder does. YMMV.

Here's a PREVIEW.

12345051466?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345051656?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345051663?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345051492?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345051867?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345052066?profile=RESIZE_180x180

SPONTANEOUS GN

12345063881?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Joe Harris | Art/Cover: Brett Weldele | Oni Press | Mature | $19.99

From acclaimed writer and filmmaker Joe Harris (Ghost Projekt, The X-Files) and acclaimed illustrator Brett Weldele (The Surrogates, Southland Tales) comes a slow-burn horror thriller of obsession, belief and restitution.

Phenomenon, conspiracy or delusion? "Kelvin" Melvin Reyes was only three years old when Spontaneous Human Combustion took his father from him. He's since devoted his life to exploring the mystery behind the phenomenon, searching for a pattern and predictors that he might save others from that same fiery fate. But the closer he gets to his goal, the further things lead down a well of secrets, horrors, and terrible truths. Is SHC real? And if so, can it be stopped?

What follows is a supernatural trip down a suburban rabbit hole as Melvin's quest to honor his father's memory unlocks the mysteries of his town's dark past and his own family secrets.

I don't know any more about this than what we see above, but Joe Harris has quite the resume.

UNDERGROUND: THE ILLUSTRATED GUIDE OF CURSED ROCKERS AND HIGH PRIESTESSES OF SOUND GN

Story: Arnaud Le Gouëfflec | Art: Nicolas Moog | Titan Comics | $29.99

12163779292?profile=RESIZE_400xTitan Comics is thrilled to announce the essential illustrated bible of independent music. Writer Arnaud Le Gouëfflec, and artist Nicolas Moog offer unique and exhaustive looks at some of the most influential outsider music legends – from Daniel Johnston to The Cramps, to Patti Smith and many more!

Writer Arnaud Le Gouëfflec, and artist Nicolas Moog offer unique and exhaustive looks at some of the most influential outsider music legends. From the sensitive genius of Daniel Johnston; the Peruvian icon, Yma Sumac; the extraordinary Moondog; the classic bargain hunters of The Cramps; to the legendary Patti Smith and many, many more.

Created by two devoted fans of the underground genre, this book has a love of music at its core. Writer Arnaud Le Gouëfflec is both a novelist and a comic book script writer, as well as a singer/songwriter. Artist Nicolas Moog is a cartoonist and author whose creative talents extend into vocals, guitar, banjo, bass, double bass and percussion!

Underground has already received acclaim internationally. Rolling Stone writes that "Underground manages, through its many anecdotes and its sense of storytelling, to open the doors to incredible worlds.” Albertine contributor, Adam Hocker, comments, "This book is a gem for anyone who unusual music and will nourish the eyes and ears of those with a taste for the off-kilter. Honestly, the list of essential albums at the end is worth the price of admission in itself!"

Not my cup of tea, but I bet this will make some people very happy.

12327083269?profile=RESIZE_180x18012327082479?profile=RESIZE_180x18012327082490?profile=RESIZE_180x18012327082671?profile=RESIZE_180x18012327083052?profile=RESIZE_180x18012327083072?profile=RESIZE_180x18012327083099?profile=RESIZE_180x180

VON BACH #1

12345046864?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345047054?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345047062?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Owen Hammer | Art: Mariano Navarro | Cover: Hugo Petrus | Variants: Mariano Navarro, Marco Fontanili | Scout Comics | $4.99

Meet Doctor Heinrich Von Bach, the 19th century scientist rumored to have been resurrected from the dead by his own ungodly invention. Now, meet Minna Tseng, the 20th century screenwriter tasked with writing the 100th film based on the world's most famous "mad scientist." Minna is about to discover that Hollywood politics give a new meaning to the word "horror."

There's still a lot of life left in the mad scientist genre! 

ZOMBILLENIUM DOUBLE VOLS 3-4: CONTROL FREAKS/ROYAL WITCHCRAFT HC

10966828271?profile=RESIZE_400xArthur de Pins | NBM | 96 pages | 2-book set | $24.99

The set combines volumes 3 and 4 at a special price! In the third story, there's excitement in the Zombillenium horror themed park run by actual monsters. Brought in by Behemoth himself, the vampire Bohemond Jaggar de Rochambeau IIII is brought in to consult, his mission: to increase return on investment for the shareholders, but for Behemoth that return has to be in souls.

In the 4th chapter, the park has never been better: its popularity has peaked following demonic reforms by Behemoth, who then decides to play his property in a very special competition ... a witches' Sabbath!

Gretchen, Aurelian and Von Bloodt, meanwhile, have set up an underground escape network in order to offer the damned the chance for reconversion, far from the nine circles of Hell, a dangerous secret operation not appreciated by the park's board of directors. Determined to clean this out, they hire the services of a formidable enchantress who will turn into an arch-rival of Gretchen. Underground as in the air, the fight promises to be epic! Will the undead succeed in asserting their rights? Who will be the future happy owner of the Zombillenium Park? Not to be missed!

• I loved the first Zombillenium GN, but it really should have stopped there. Each succeeding book was an example of the concept of diminishing returns. I stopped reading after Volume 4. 
  • Here's a PREVIEW</strong<.

ZORRO: MAN OF THE DEAD #1 (OF 4)

12345031088?profile=RESIZE_180x180STL300018.jpg?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story/Art: Sean Gordon Murphy | Variants: Matteo Scalera, Humberto Ramos, Dike Ruan, Rafael Albuquerque, Lee Bermejo | Massive | Mature | $4.99

Superstar artist Sean Gordon Murphy delivers the main cover for his fresh take on the iconic masked vigilante, Zorro. 

Don Quixote meets Narcos in Sean Gordon Murphy's Zorro: Man of the Dead. In this modern reimagining, the writer-artist behind DC Comic's Batman: White Knight, delivers a fresh take on the legendary swashbuckling hero.

Diego is a young man who is convinced that he's Zorro. As a child, he suffered a psychotic break after witnessing the murder of his parents by the drug cartel in his village. To cope with the trauma, he embraced the 200-year-old legend of Zorro by donning the mask, training with the sword, and declaring war on the Narcos for the sake of his people.

Sean Gordon Murphy? A "Mature Readers" Zorro? This could be good!

Here's a PREVIEW.

12345032693?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345034453?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345034094?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345034662?profile=RESIZE_180x180

MORE PREVIEWS

THE MADNESS #6

12346650459?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346649694?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346650481?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12346650498?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346650881?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346650676?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346650691?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346651096?profile=RESIZE_180x18012346651298?profile=RESIZE_180x180

SPIDER-MAN: ACROSS THE SPIDER-VERSE OFFICIAL MOVIE SPECIAL HC

12345065867?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345065689?profile=RESIZE_400x12345066453?profile=RESIZE_400x12345066270?profile=RESIZE_400x12345066665?profile=RESIZE_400x12345066868?profile=RESIZE_400x

TRANSFORMERS #4

12345069891?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345069897?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345070075?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345070091?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12345070856?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345070875?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345070688?profile=RESIZE_180x18012345071055?profile=RESIZE_180x180

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #136

12347030897?profile=RESIZE_180x18012347030480?profile=RESIZE_180x18012347030494?profile=RESIZE_180x18012347031093?profile=RESIZE_180x18012347031669?profile=RESIZE_180x18012347031681?profile=RESIZE_180x18012347032059?profile=RESIZE_180x18012347031875?profile=RESIZE_180x18012347031895?profile=RESIZE_180x18012347032655?profile=RESIZE_180x18012347032472?profile=RESIZE_180x18012347032486?profile=RESIZE_180x180

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• BLADE #7 guest stars the Hulk. (And he is peeved about something.)

Oh, he's always peeved about something. Just ignore him.

Here's a run-down of the late, lamented 1974-75 Giant-Size line

That should be a thread of its own (more easily searchable for reference).

Let's hope this new line can live up to the standard set by its predecessor.

Yeah, right.

...if you don't want to read the comics but still keep abreast...

Huh, huh... he said "breast."

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #1

This is the first I'm hearing about this. I read the current Amazing Spider-Man two years trying to fill the spider-shaped hole in my life, but I dropped it recently because it just wasn't scratching that ich. I may have to check this new "Ultimate" out. \

NORMALMAN 40TH ANNIVERSARY OMNIBUS HC: I never read Normalman.

PETE TOWNSHEND'S LIFE HOUSE HC/SLIPCASE EDITION

I have this CD, which puts the music in context.

31KXbrwHhRL._AC_UY218_.jpg

Apparently there's also a DVD, which I was unaware of.

617ATL+aHaL._AC_UY218_.jpg

I might give that Image thing a look. I don't know if I would say "profoundly silly," but much of his more recent work (Psychoderelict, Endless Wire, etc.) has been somewhat pretentious.

JOHN ROMITA’S AMAZING SPIDER-MAN: THE DAILY STRIPS ARTIST’S EDITION I'm undecided, Legionnaires. Anyone getting this?

This shipped to my LCS last week. (Books don't have a "street date" so it could be sold; plus, it was solictied for October of last year.) Be advised that it is exactly what it says it is: the dailies (i.e., no Sundays). The early years of the strips were as tight as Dick Tracy or Terry & the Pirates of Litte Orphan Annie, in other words they were structured to make sense if someone read only the dailies or only the Sundays or both. If you think you would enjoy this more than one of John Romita's three comic book Artist Editions, go for it. It does present a year and a half of Lee/Romita Spidey goodness.

• Sabretooth is such a one-note (and repulsive) character that I always wanted him put down for good. But he must have his fans, because he's still here. - Every time Marvel or someone tries to tell me what a badass Sabretooth is, I remind myself Misty Knight (or was it Collen Wing?) took him out single handedly.

I loved this when it first came out. This series even prompted me to read the books! I have no idea how well it's aged, but with Mike Mignola, Howard Chaykin and Walter Simonson involved, how bad could it be? - I read some of these comics less than 10 years ago, and I thought they were pretty good. I actually blazed through the novels 20+ years ago, and realized how much they influenced D&D back in the day.

I finally came to the conclusion that I'm not going to like anything Zack Snyder does. YMMV. - I've never seen any of the Zach Snyder Superman flicks. Every time I thnk about Man of Steel I tealize I don't need to wath a 2+ hour Superman origin story. That being said I did enjoy 300 and The Watchmen

• I have had my fill of Wolverine back in 1980.  Sabretooth is Wolverine with more kewl, so it is a hard pass from me.

Snyder is good for motorbike ads in slow motion.  Those skills served him well in 300 and Dawn of the Dead.  But he clearly has neither understanding of DC characters nor the humility or interest in learning about them. 

I remember when the first Aquaman movie became such a surprising success, and I suspect that the perception that it would be free from Snyder's vision was a strong positive factor that many people fail to notice even today.  Much of the draw of superhero movies comes from expectations informed by the previous works.

• Giant-Size Man-Thing #1-5: The book that gave rise to a thousand dirty jokes was really pretty good, with new stories by Steve Gerber and a bunch of different artists, including Mike Ploog and John Buscema.

In 1974 I was 26 years old and an Army veteran. I never noticed the unfortunate title until I saw it referenced years later in CBG. I’m guessing most of the reactions to this title were from 13-year-olds, especially if they hadn't heard of the character. (Plus I never referred to my penis as a man-thing)

• I might give that Image thing a look. I don't know if I would say "profoundly silly," but much of his more recent work (Psychoderelict, Endless Wire, etc.) has been somewhat pretentious.

Pretentious might be the better word, anyway.

Every time Marvel or someone tries to tell me what a badass Sabretooth is, I remind myself Misty Knight (or was it Collen Wing?) took him out single handedly.

Back in the first run of Iron Fist, right? 

I actually blazed through the novels 20+ years ago, and realized how much they influenced D&D back in the day.

I read them in the '70s, and don't remember much. 

I've never seen any of the Zach Snyder Superman flicks. 

You're not missing much, IMHO.

That being said I did enjoy 300 and The Watchmen.

I enjoyed 300 well enough, but I found Watchmen kinda dull. I think it might have been a little too faithful, and tried to do too much.

I have had my fill of Wolverine back in 1980. 

There was a point when I felt that way as well. He was guest starring in every book and there was a new revelation in every book about his past. He was just a short guy with claws and a bad temper, so what was the big deal? But I was also annoyed that he started to replace Cyclops in every way (Xavier's surrogate son, Jean Grey's lover, leader of the X-Men, eventually, and preposterously, headmaster of the school), as if they couldn't figure out how to build Wolverine up without tearing MY favorite X-Man down. They even turned Cyclops quasi-villainous for a while (before giving that role to Beast). To me, the X-Men without Cyclops is like the Avengers without Captain America -- not really the same team. But eventually the books moved on and Wolverine took a less exaggerated role. With that, my Wolverine Fatigue faded as well. But I hear you,brother!

But [Snyder] clearly has neither understanding of DC characters nor the humility or interest in learning about them. 

That's how it appears to me as well. I wonder if he even bothered to watch Superman: The Movie.

I suspect also that he's something of a nihilist, and doesn't understand a character acting out of altruism. Absent altruism, Superman and Barry Allen become entirely different characters. 

Much of the draw of superhero movies comes from expectations informed by the previous works.

Which means that Snyder has made James Gunn's job that much harder. 

Plus I never referred to my penis as a man-thing.

Me neither, but I assume someone does somewhere, as it's in the urban dictionary.

• I have had my fill of Wolverine back in 1980. 

There was a point when I felt that way as well.

Narratively, Wolverine's saga came to an end with the conclusion of the 1982 mini-series, but the serial nature of comics forbade it.

96628650920.1.gif

This reply was deleted.