Comics Guide for week of Sept. 11, 2023

(Note: CLICK HERE for Full List.)

<p style="clear: both;">

TOP 5 PUBLISHERS

MARVEL COMICS

DAREDEVIL #1

12164188058?profile=RESIZE_400x11130073468?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Saladin Ahmed | Art: Aaron Kuder | Cover: John Romita Jr. | Variants: Stanley “Artgerm” Lau, Alexander Lozano, Pepe Larraz, Aaron Kuder, Whilce Portacio, Ejikure, Frank Miller | 56 pages | Teen+ | $6.99

BORN AGAIN!

Earlier this month in the penultimate issue of Chip Zdarsky and Marco Checchetto’s Eisner-nominated run of DAREDEVIL, Matt Murdock sacrificed himself to a hellish fate. But have no fear — Daredevil will be reborn this fall in a new era from writer Saladin Ahmed and artist Aaron Kuder!

DAREDEVIL #1 will reveal the shocking price Matt had to pay to escape the afterlife and the biblical consequences his freedom has unleashed on the world. A changed man in more ways than one, Matt has now embraced a new role in life while Elektra continues to defend Hell’s Kitchen as the Woman Without Fear. Elektra would like nothing more than to give Matt the peace he deserves and allow him to live the life he was seemingly destined for, but a new enemy has other plans. Matt’s reemergence has released an unholy threat and in order to stop it from preying on the souls of Hell’s Kitchen, Matt will have to become the devil once more and reckon with the deadliest of sins!

Fans will have to wait to until DAREDEVIL #1 drops to comprehend the full scope and divine mystery of what Ahmed and Kuder have cooked up for Hell’s Kitchen’s cast of characters. In the meantime, check out never-before-seen artwork and a host of new variant covers!

"I wanted to only take this job on if I felt like I had a new, unique take on Matt and on Hell's Kitchen,” Ahmed explained on Marvel’s original podcast series This Week in Marvel. “And so that's at the center of this … him and his world, but it's the Marvel Universe. What I've really enjoyed in talking with other editors, other offices, is finding ways through these first couple of arcs we have planned to keep this centered on Matt, keep this centered on his people, in his world, but to bring (in a very organic and surprising fun way) some familiar Marvel figures that I think are going to blow people's mind when they pop up on the page!"

When asked what he will miss the most about writing Daredevil, Zdarsky said, “Working with Marco, honestly, and Matt Wilson on colors. It was such a joy having those pages come in almost every day. It feels like the right time to leave. You know, when you finish the story, it's kind of when you should get off the stage. But it's my longest run on anything in comics, and it will probably end up being my longest running anything in comics because of the kind of character that you just want to hold onto for as long as you can.”

• To think, prior to Frank Miller, I thought Daredevil was Marvel's worst title, mediocre and dull. Matt Murdock of Spider-Man Lite in powers, and was far more mature (and boring) than Peter Parker.
  • Well, Miller changed all that, by making Matt a morally conflicted, fallen-Catholic, mentally unstable super-ninja. A unique combo of elements. And even though Hell's Kitchen has long since been gentrified in real life, the Marvel version of the neighborhood is still as bad as Gotham City. So the Guardian Devil of Hell's Kitchen is still on the job, continuing to be just weird enough to be a lot of fun.
  • I have a lot of DD to catch up on before I reach this series, but I expect, from the description, that the weirdness factor will just escalate.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

12218618080?profile=RESIZE_180x18012218618269?profile=RESIZE_180x18012164188078?profile=RESIZE_180x18012164188093?profile=RESIZE_180x18012164188295?profile=RESIZE_180x18012164188698?profile=RESIZE_180x18012164188663?profile=RESIZE_180x180

AVENGERS INC. #1

11763035294?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Al Ewing | Art: Leonard Kirk | Cover: Daniel Acuña | Variants: Leinil Francis Yu, Erica D’urso, Sean Galloway, Leo Romero, Alex Ross | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

ACTION! MYSTERY! ADVENTURE!

Sixty years ago, Janet Van Dyne stood alongside Earth’s Mightiest Heroes as they assembled for the very first time and named them the AVENGERS! Now, during the team’s milestone anniversary year, she’ll lead them into all-new territory in a brand-new AVENGERS title — AVENGERS INC.!

You’ve heard about Avengers-level threats. Now, get ready for Avengers-level mysteries! Starting next month, Al Ewing and Leonard Kirk’s brand-new noir-inspired AVENGERS INC. series will see Janet Van Dyne lead Earth’s Mightiest Heroes into a new era of super hero storytelling that mixes high-stakes Avengers action with super powered sleuthing. Hitting just in time for the Avengers’ milestone 60th anniversary, AVENGERS INC. begins as Wasp investigates a string of supervillain murders. She’ll find help in the form of a mysterious new partner — Victor Shade! Has this former alias of Vision resurfaced to guide Wasp to the truth or is his familiar guise hiding the very clues Janet needs to crack the case?

Her name is Janet Van Dyne. She’s a hero. She’s a celebrity. She’s hunting a killer and she’s not the only one. By her side is Victor Shade. He’s a villain. He’s an enigma. He just got killed. And together, they’re out to solve every mystery in the Marvel Universe ... starting with their own. Fans can get their first look at this stylish new series in the all-new AVENGERS INC. trailer, featuring never-before-seen artwork and covers!

Debuting in September, this sharp new series will be crafted by two Marvel masterminds: writer Al Ewing and artist Leonard Kirk. Known for taking some of Marvel’s greatest icons into fresh and unexpected directions in titles like Immortal Hulk and Loki: Agent of Asgard, Ewing now delivers that same treatment to the Avengers mythos by blending noir and super hero storytelling for suspenseful adventures unlike any in Avengers history. With acclaimed work in dynamic comic book titles like the pulpy X-Factor and the recent horror-fueled Sabretooth series, Kirk is the perfect artist to mix thrilling Avengers action with tense investigating and super powered sleuthing.

Together, Ewing and Kirk will introduce readers to a whole new style of Avenging. It kicks off with a deadly conspiracy rooted in the ghosts of the Avengers’ past that only founding Avenger Wasp can solve. But she won’t be alone as she finds a new partner in Victor Shade! This former alias of Vision mysteriously resurfaces just as Janet discovers a score of supervillain murders. Will he guide Wasp to the truth or is his familiar guise hiding the very clues Janet needs to crack the case? Fans can expect guest stars galore as this pulse-pounding series moves forward. The series will also pack direct connections to the other current Avengers ongoing series, Jed MacKay and C.F. Villa’s Avengers.

"AVENGERS INC. takes the beating, buzzing heart of the original Avengers, teams her up with an undead mystery man with an identity so secret even he doesn't know it, and sends them both out to solve the most amazing, fantastic and uncanny whodunnits the Marvel Universe has to offer!” Ewing explained. “It's kind of a classic 'will-they-won't-they' crime-solving partnership — or it would be if the 'will-they' in question was 'save the world from ...' Well, that'd be telling. See you in September!"

“I am unsure what can be said of AVENGERS INC. without spoiling anything for the readers. I can say this is a fun and intriguing take on some familiar characters that leans more into detective skills over super strength, wit rather than eye beams and cunning instead of small, genetically mutated, furry creatures,” Kirk added. “Al is doing a bang up job with this and I am having a load of fun. I hope the audience does too.” 

• The problem with mystery-box stories is that if they solve the central mystery too soon the series needs to end, and if they drag it out too long the audience gets irritated and restless. Let's hope they get the timing right with "Victor Shade."
  • Nice Avengers #4 homage below.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

12189760289?profile=RESIZE_180x18012189760488?profile=RESIZE_180x18012189760858?profile=RESIZE_180x18012189760695?profile=RESIZE_180x18012189761257?profile=RESIZE_180x180

WEREWOLF BY NIGHT #1 (ONE-SHOT)

12132286455?profile=RESIZE_400x12218630272?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Derek Landy | Art: Fran Galán | Cover: Corin Howell | Variants: Adam Hughes, Bill Sienkiewicz | 40 pages | Teen+ | $5.99

AN UNHOLY ALLIANCE!

Jack Russell, the original Werewolf by Night, is back with another howling adventure! The tormented Marvel hero gripped fan’s imaginations in last year’s acclaimed Marvel Studios' Werewolf By Night on Disney+, and now the moon rises on his next comic saga just in time for the Halloween season! Written by Derek Landy and drawn by Fran Galán, WEREWOLF BY NIGHT #1 will be an oversized one-shot that reunites the character with Elsa Bloodstone. Certain sections of this stylish supernatural epic will be presented in black and white, reflecting the pair’s conflicting moods and unique hunting techniques.

In the shadows of black-and-white night, Jack Russell races to halt the sacrifice of a young girl at the hands of monsters. Elsa Bloodstone, in all her colorful monster-hunting glory, isn’t far behind. But can they put their differences aside long enough to save the day? And what would such a partnership even look like?

• So, this book will have B&W parts, and will pair Jack Russell with Else Bloodstone. Sounds very much like the TV special.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

ALLIGATOR LOKI #1 (ONE-SHOT)

11214800457?profile=RESIZE_710x12218630659?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Alyssa Wong | Art: Bob Quinn | Variants: Skottie Yuong, Doaly | 48 pages | All Ages | $5.99

ALLIGATOR LOKI MAKES A SPLASH IN HIS PRINT COMIC DEBUT!

After making his debut in Marvel Studios’ Loki on Disney+, the reptilian God of Mischief headlined his very own Infinity Comic series on the Marvel Unlimited app. Now, this iconic and adorable troublemaker will grace the stands of your local comic shop for the very first time in September! An extra-sized one-shot, ALLIGATOR LOKI #1 will collect the entirety of Alyssa Wong and Bob Quinn’s hit Infinity Comic series as well as an all-new adventure from the life of everyone’s favorite swamp-dwelling scamp!

Bow down to the reptile in a helm who has enraptured the Ten Realms … with his cuteness! First Alligator Loki chomped down on Mjolnir, and then he chomped his way into our hearts. Now, the beloved Alligator of Mischief finds — and makes — trouble all across the Marvel Universe in his very own comic!

Collecting the hit Infinity Comics series from the Marvel Unlimited app, this one-shot includes a never-before-seen adventure in the life of everyone’s favorite swamp-dwelling scamp!

“Alligator Loki's been living in my head rent-free for the past year,” Wong said. “It's been a ton of fun working with Bob Quinn, Pete Pantazis and Kat Gregorowicz to bring him to life in the Infinity comic. I'm thrilled that this little guy's shenanigans are coming to print!”

• I have nothing to say, but Alligator Loki shouldn't go by without notice.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

SPINE-TINGLING SPIDER-MAN #0 (ONE-SHOT)

12132282452?profile=RESIZE_400x12218628677?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Saladin Ahmed | Art/Cover: Juan Ferreyra | Variants: Peach Momoko, Ken Lashley | 96 pages | Teen+ | $9.99

THE MOST TERRIFYING SPIDER-MAN STORY EVER!

Spider-Slayers and a Smythe. A song that, once heard, will not allow you to sleep. One of the worst threats to Aunt May you’ve ever experienced.

Fans can experience the acclaimed SPINE-TINGLING SPIDER-MAN Infinity Comic in print for the first time ever in a special one-shot, SPINE-TINGLING SPIDER-MAN #0, this September!

Written by Saladin Ahmed and drawn by Juan Ferreyra, the Spider-Man horror story shook readers to their core when it debuted in 2021 on Marvel Unlimited. Now, fans can enjoy this frightful journey all over again in SPINE-TINGLING SPIDER-MAN #0. The one-shot contains the entire saga that introduced Sleep-Stealer, a new villain that got into Spider-Man’s head and haunted Peter Parker’s waking dreams and nightmares. Spidey and readers will lose sleep in this unforgettable, mind-bending adventure that promises to be the scariest Spider-Man story ever told!

“SPINE-TINGLING SPIDER-MAN is one of the coolest projects I've ever worked on and I'm thrilled it's coming to print!,” Ahmed said. “We're putting Peter through a grueling horror movie grinder, and that resilient spirit of his will be tested like never before! I tapped into some darkness writing this, but the real star here is Juan's mind-blowing, visionary work — which is genuinely some of the best Spider-art I've ever seen.”

• I hope this isn't another "Bad Spider-Man" story, because they done beat that cayuse nigh to death.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

"Fall of X"

CHILDREN OF THE VAULT #2 (OF 4)

12132283499?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Deniz Camp | Art: Luca Maresca | Cover: Yanick Paquette | Variants: Mahmud Asrar | Teen+ | $3.99

WELCOME TO THE TOMORROWTOWNS!

The Children of the Vault will bring this world into the future — kicking and screaming! In the wake of the fall of Krakoa, the Children emerge as humankind’s greatest and only saviors, defending Earth from Shi’ar attacks and supernatural sightings alike. And humanity LOVES it. Only Bishop and Cable can see through the Children’s impossible promises — but can these two old enemies work together long enough to stop them? The explosive series continues as mutantkind’s boldest soldiers prepare for war!

• Once again the question arises: Why do people in the Marvel Universe repeatedly embrace super-powered people that are indistinguishable from mutants, but hate mutants? How can they even tell them apart?
  • Here's a PREVIEW.
  • "Fall of X" continues in three other books this week: Iceman #2, X-Force #44 and X-Men Red #15

"Contest of Chaos"

VENOM ANNUAL #1 (ONE-SHOT)

11130071060?profile=RESIZE_400x12218689084?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Alyssa Wong & Stephanie Phillips | Art: Sergio Dávila & Alberto Foche | Cover: Ben Harvey | Variant: Tony Daniel | Teen | $4.99

VENOM VS. DEADPOOL!

When the forces of chaos call upon Venom and Deadpool, it becomes an issue of family – and whose deserves to win the ultimate prize. It’s symbiote might vs. frankly awesome assassin skills in an epic showdown you won’t want to miss!

• I suppose Venom had to make an appearance sometime. At least Deadpool's around to make it funny.
  • Still two more "Contest of Chaos" chapters to go.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

"Summer of Symbiotes"

VENOM #25

12132281688?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Al Ewing | Art: Sergio Dávila, Cafu, Ken Lashley & Julius Ohta | Cover: Bryan Hitch |  Variants: John Romita Jr., John Romita Sr., Skottie Young, Ken Lashley, Hicham Habchi, Cafu, Federico Vicentini | 64 pages | Teen+ | $7.99

A TIME OF DOOM! SPECIAL OVER-SIZED ANNIVERSARY ISSUE!

Eddie Brock needed access to Doctor Doom’s time platform – and in getting to it, got more than he ever bargained for, battling the most notorious super villain in the Marvel Universe through time itself! Luckily, Eddie’s well versed in navigating the timestream thanks to his recent adventures. He’s poised to take his conflict with Meridius to its frenetic and fist-filled finish – if he survives DOOM! PLUS! Eddie’s battle with Doom will land him, briefly, in a very unexpected place…MIDTOWN HIGH SCHOOL! But what, or who, could he find there?

Mastermind writer Al Ewing has already taken Eddie and Dylan Brock’s sagas to uncharted levels of symbiote insanity in the pages of VENOM, but this September, Venom’s quest goes off the rails completely when DOOM comes calling! Featuring artwork by Sergio Dávila, Cafu, Ken Lashley, Julius Ohta, the super-sized milestone issue will see Venom make a desperate move to turn the tide of his ongoing battle against Meridius by going after noneother than Doctor Doom! Bonded to a new symbiote and equipped with new abilities, Venom is more powerful than ever but against Doom, he’s in way over his head...

Eddie Brock needs access to Doctor Doom’s time platform but in doing so, got more than he ever bargained for, battling the most notorious super villain in the Marvel Universe through time itself! Luckily, Eddie’s well versed in navigating the timestream thanks to his recent adventures. He’s poised to take his conflict with Meridius to its frenetic and fist-filled finish – if he survives DOOM! PLUS! Eddie’s battle with Doom will land him, briefly, in a very unexpected place…MIDTOWN HIGH SCHOOL! But what, or who, could he find there?

"When Editor Devin Lewis pitched me the 50-page oversized issue, my first thought was packing as much bang per buck into those fifty pages as possible - and who provides more bang than the Lord of Latveria?” Ewing explained. “Victor makes a great counterpoint for Eddie Brock - the King and the commoner, the polymath of a thousand schemes and the brutal bar-room brawler. And, of course, the big difference between them - Eddie's forgiven a lot of his old enemies, but nobody carries a grudge like Doctor Doom ..."

• Even though it's September, I think the "Summer of Symbiotes" is still going on.
  • At least this one has a character I like: Dr. Doom. So, yes, I'm rooting for the villain.
  • Here's a PREVIEW.

Marvel Notes 

"Dark Droids" continues in STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #38.

Doctor Strange guest stars in GHOST RIDER #18.

For those whose memories are a little fuzzy about the early adventures of Captain Marvel II/Photon/Pulsar/Daystar/Sceptre/Spectrum (and I count myself among them), CAPTAIN MARVEL: THE SAGA OF MONICA RAMBEAU TP collects Amazing Spider-Man Annual #16, Avengers (first series) #227 and 279, Marvel Team-Up (first series) #142-143, Captain Marvel (1989) #1, Captain Marvel (1994) #1, Avengers Unplugged #5 and material from Solo Avengers #2 and Marvel Fanfare #42 and #57. 

Man-Thing guest stars in INCREDIBLE HULK #4.

MARVEL STUDIOS: THE ART OF DR. STRANGE IN THE MULTIVERSE OF MADNESS HC arrives this week.

STAR WARS: OBI-WAN KENOBI #1 (OF 6) appears to adapt the recent TV show. 

DC COMICS

BATMAN AND ROBIN #1

12219622467?profile=RESIZE_400x12219622682?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Joshua Williamson | Art/Cover: Simone Di Meo | Variants: Stanley “Artgerm” Lau, Kael Ngu, Clay Mann, Simone Di Meo | $4.99/$5.99 (card stock)

Father and son. Bruce and Damian. Batman and Robin.

From Batman vs. Robin to Knight Terrors, a lot has happened to the Dynamic Duo, but now they are back together and ready to fight crime in Gotham — just in time for Batman’s most monstrous rogues to team up to turn the city into an urban jungle! A new villain watches from the shadows, intent on revenge, with a plot to turn one of Batman’s greatest assets against him! Can Damian help his father solve the case before it’s too late?

A brand-new fun and exciting father-and-son adventure begins, from DC Comics architect Joshua Williamson and superstar artist Simone Di Meo!

• After Batman vs. RobinRobin vs. Batman and the current "Gotham War," this is a welcome relief! It'll be nice to see Batman fight some villains for a change, instead of members of his own family.

12219623454?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219623292?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219623858?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219623491?profile=RESIZE_400x12219624062?profile=RESIZE_400x12219624077?profile=RESIZE_180x180

BATMAN: GARGOYLE OF GOTHAM #1 (OF 4)

12219625688?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Rafael Grampa | Cover: Jim Lee | Variants: Frank Miller, David Finch, Jim Lee, Priscilla Petraites, Paul Pope | 48 pages | Prestige | $6.99

“When you chase your own shadow … it leads you into the abyss.”

In a Gotham City where every day feels darker and more irredeemable than the last, Batman makes a definitive choice — to kill off the Bruce Wayne identity for good and embrace the cowl full time. But though he knows the streets of Gotham, Batman will soon come to find that he hardly knows himself. A serial killer is on the loose, and while the murder victims seem random at first, every clue draws Batman closer to the terrifying truth — that they are all connected, not just to each other … but to him.

When an all-new rogues gallery of utterly depraved villains begins to emerge from the depths of the city, Batman will have to contend with the very nature of evil — including that which lurks inside in the darkest corners of his own heart — to face what’s coming for his city.

Batman: Gargoyle of Gotham brings Rafael Grampá’s twisted vision of both the Dark Knight and the city of Gotham to life in a DC writing debut that will reach its icy black tendrils into the deepest and darkest corners of human nature and leave you gasping for breath — and for more!'

• I wonder is this is an attempt to create another alternate Bat-universe, like Sean Murphy's White Knight books? I wouldn't mind seeing more "Red Rain" Batman or "Gotham by Gaslight" Batman.

12219626068?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219626085?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219626274?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219626452?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219626653?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219626856?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219626487?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219626496?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219626685?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219626698?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219627261?profile=RESIZE_180x180

BATMAN: GARGOYLE OF GOTHAM NOIR EDITION #1

See Rafael Grampá's stunning artwork in vivid, uncolored black-and-white, fully lettered, in a limited "Batman Noir" edition with a unique cover!

• Maybe it's just me, but removing the color doesn't make something "noir" artwork. There should be considerably more shading and rendering, like the old Warren magazines that were intended to be read without color.

12219627288?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219627652?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219627668?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219627684?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219628052?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219627877?profile=RESIZE_180x18012219627494?profile=RESIZE_180x180

DC Notes

BATMAN #1 FACSIMILE EDITION includes the first appearances of The Joker and Catwoman.

BATMAN & SCOOBY-DOO ADVENTURES #12 gurest stars Batman Beyond.

Batman Day 2023 is Saturday, Sept. 16, and DC adds one more item to last week's list: BATMAN DAY: 2023: BATMAN '89 VARIANT DUSTJACKET SPECIAL EDITION HC.

Walt Simonson returns to Doctor Fate with a variant cover for DANGER STREET #9.

GREEN LANTERN #3 includes "John Stewart: Homecoming" Part 3, a story which leads into Stewart's Green Lantern: War Journal title.

IMAGE COMICS

CREEPSHOW VOL 2 #1 (OF 5)

12143912487?profile=RESIZE_710x12143912501?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Garth Ennis, Phil Hester | Art: Becky Cloonan, Phil HesterCovers: Guillem March, Becky Cloonan, Skinner | $3.99

The smash-hit horror comic is back and creepier than ever! Today Skybound announced a second volume of the hugely popular comic book anthology based on Greg Nicotero’s hit Shudder TV series produced and licensed by Cartel Entertainment. 

In the spirit of all iterations of Creepshow in pop culture, every issue of the Creepshow comic series comes packed with two spine-chilling stories. Each issue of the five-part anthology will feature different creative teams from the worlds of comics, books, film, television, and beyond. Every uniquely horrifying standalone story is guaranteed to SCARE YOU TO DEATH.

In the debut issue of the second volume, master of the macabre Garth Ennis (Preacher, The Boys) and superstar creator Becky Cloonan (Wonder Woman) team up for the very first time to deliver a disturbing tale of the unborn. Then, freaky Phil Hester tells the story of a grieving son who bends the laws of nature to see his mother one last time ... this can’t end well! 

In addition to the main cover by Guillem March, Creepshow Vol. 2 #1 comes with an impressive lineup of variant covers, including a cover by Becky Cloonan and the launch of a set of 1:10 incentive connecting covers by iconic horror artist Skinner.

Creepshow Volume 2’s superstar creative roster also includes Michael Walsh (The Silver Coin), Dan Watters (Homesick Pilots), Abigail Larson (Sandman Universe: The Dreaming), Zoe Thorogood (It’s Lonely at the Centre of the Earth), Joel Farrelly (Tell Me a Story), Nick Dragotta (East of West), Alisa Kwitney (Mystik U), Saladin Ahmed (Dragon, Miles Morales: Spider-Man), Joe Quinones (Batman ‘89), Tim Daniel & DB Andry (End After End), Matthew Roberts (Manifest Destiny), Goran Sudžuka (Ghosted), and many others to be announced. 

Brian Witten is overseeing on behalf of Nicotero’s Monster Agency Productions. The Creepshow comic miniseries deal was brokered by Striker Entertainment.

Praise for Creepshow Volume 1:

“If you are looking for snapshot horror, Creepshow is the place to go.” — ComicBook.com

“A pitch-perfect adaptation with stories that are worthy of the franchise's name.’” — ScreenRant

• If there's any medium that should be dedicated to the preservation of the horror anthology, it's comic books. Take that, Dr. Wertham!
  • All issues have variant covers that combine to form the image below.

12143912878?profile=RESIZE_710x

DARK HORSE COMICS 

FROM WORLD OF MINOR THREATS: THE ALTERNATES #1 (OF 4)

12144173477?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Patton Oswalt, Tim Seeley, Jordan Blum | Art: Christopher Mitten, Tess Fowler | Colors: Ian Herring | etters: Nate Peikos | Cover: Scott Hepburn | Variants: Tim Seeley, Fabio Moon, Scott Hepburn, Martin Simmonds, Tony Fleecs | $4.99

Dark Horse Comics presents From the World of Minor Threats: The Alternates, a new superhero series spinning out of the hit Minor Threats! This time, the Minor Threats team explores B-list superheroes who struggle to reclaim their mediocre lives in a support group. 

Mary the Multi-Monster! The Tripper! Crab Louie! Kid Curious! Persona! Formerly the offbeat b-list superheroes, The Alternates, who seemingly sacrificed themselves to stop an invasion from another dimension. Instead, they were transported to a mirror reality where they lived complex lives in a more four-dimensional existence — expanding both their powers and consciousness. Five years later, they've returned to Twilight City, struggling to reacclimate to their old lives in a traditional two-dimensional superhero world — in withdrawal from the vivid ones they left behind. When elements from this alternate reality turn up as a dangerous new street drug, some of the heroes band together to destroy it, while others succumb to its temptation.

“Tim Seeley has LONG been one of our fave writer/artists,” said Patton Oswalt. “So, it was a thrill when we heard that our first run of MINOR THREATS sparked his imagination to further expand the world of Twilight City. If MINOR THREATS was a love letter to the moment where the Silver Age '70s gave way to the grim ‘n’ gritty '80s, then Seeley’s THE ALTERNATES is our collective mash note or the entire universe of 90s alt-comics. The fantastic inks by Christopher Mitten and lush paintings by Tess Fowler make an already amazing comic even better!”

"If the first MINOR THREATS series was a love letter to the c-list working class supervillains, then THE ALTERNATES is one for the early Vertigo comics of the 90s like Doom Patrol, Swamp Thing and Animal Man,” said Jordan Blum. “Forgotten goofy heroes pulled into a suddenly ‘mature’ existence that both humanizes and alienates them. Tim is such a master and historian of comics, we were so thrilled with the new sandbox he built for us all to play in -- once again offering a fresh and unique point of view we hadn't yet seen explored in superhero comics. This story of existence, addiction, recovery and monster smashing was beautifully rendered thanks to the art of Christopher Mitten and paintings by Tess Fowler. "

On joining the Minor Threats world, Tim Seeley said, "I love the first MINOR THREATS series so much that I couldn't help but imagine another team of lovable losers in their world--this time, a squad of forgotten superheroes who got rebooted, and now crave their old lives so bad it borders on addiction. Jordan and Patton not only liked the idea, they added their creativity to make something that fits their universe perfectly!"

Praise for Minor Threats:

"In a world saturated with superhero comics, Minor Threats #1 is a creative and well-rounded introduction to another world of capes and tights. Like label-partner Black Hammer before it, Minor Threats honors the superhero stories that have come before it, simultaneously staying true those stories while reinventing the genre in its own image." — Comicbook.com

Minor Threats #1 was one of the best times I have had reading a new comic. Oswalt, Blum, and company have created a near-perfect comic book that is referential without over-saturation." — Multiversity Comics

"Funny, clever, and occasionally heartbreaking — Minor Threats is told so well that there’s no problem at all rooting for the bad guys." — AiPT

"Minor Threats #1 boasts a truly excellent script that feels like a perfect love letter to the fun and silliness of classic costumed caper comics as well as the classic underdog trope. Yet it also manages to marry in great three-dimensional and believable character writing that brings its central character to life beautifully as you follow her journey. All of this is brought to life by an art style that flawlessly captures the colorful nature of the genre after rolling it around in the grime to show the viewpoint of the C-list villain. An outstanding first issue from the classic corner box art on the cover to the last page spread that speaks to the fun everyone involved had making it. — Comic Watch

"Minor Threats #1 launches a delightfully dark new superhero universe, merging Silver Age aesthetics with a modern-day plot. … So definitely add this book to your reading pile; you’ll laugh, maybe cry, and have a great time." — But Why Tho?

"This is no 'minor' first issue — it has the makings of a blockbuster." — Comicon

"Minor Threats is clearly made by people who love superhero comics and want to explore the world that exists between the panels of bigger superhero stories. The artwork is creative and compelling while the tone strikes a great balance — it's silly and fun but also heartfelt and tragic. Minor Threats #1 is a must-read comic for fans of the superhero genre, especially if they've enjoyed stories like Superior Foes of Spider-Man. Put this one on your radar, people." — CBR

"This is definitely a title that lives up to the early buzz. In a desert of cynical, shallow Watchmen wannabes, Minor Threats is an oasis: a deconstruction of the superhero genre made from a place of love instead of being disgusted by or apologetic about its own existence. It melds the dark and melodramatic with the goofy and bizarre with beautiful precision, and I’m excited to see what’s next." — Gate Crashers

Goodness, that's a lot of words. I guess it's to make up for Patton Oswalt getting killed off recently on What We Do in the Shadows

12144173277?profile=RESIZE_710x12144173291?profile=RESIZE_710x12144173871?profile=RESIZE_180x180

SAINT JOHN #1 (OF 4)

12143917471?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Dan Schkade, Brennan Wagner, Portland Gear | Art/Cover: Dan Schkade | Dark Horse | $4.99

Dark Horse Comics, in partnership with groundbreaking clothing brand Portland Gear, presents the Rose City’s very own superhero in Saint John. Born and raised in the streets of Portland, Oregon, Saint John is unlike any superhero before him, built for the quirks that make the city unique. Cartoonist Dan Schkade (Will Eisner’s The Spirit) and Portland native creator Brennan Wagner, (Grendel: Devil’s Odyssey), along with letterer Frank Cvetkovic (Count Crowley), bring to life the vivid, sometimes funky world of the Rose City and the hero destined to keep it safe.

“A few years ago, I set out to create a positive storyline for the city and utilize the connections I've had in town for many years.” said founder and owner of Portland Gear, Marcus Harvey. “With the assistance of Brennan, Dan, and Mike Richardson, the idea of a superhero for Portland came to life — an individual radiating positivity and dedicated to community building. Portland is a magical place, and I believe that employing the medium of a comic book would provide a unique opportunity to share its wonders with the world.”

Cynical Manhattan writer Tori Slate travels to Portland, Oregon, to track down the enigmatic Saint John--a masked man who roams the city doing good deeds for strangers, appearing at random and vanishing without a trace. Who is he? Why does he do it? And what is his seemingly supernatural connection to the City of Roses? Tori aims to put these questions to the man himself ... unaware that the answers will change her life forever.

“When Marcus approached me about doing this project, I knew I had to pull in my longtime collaborator and dear friend — Dan Schkade,” said series artist Brennan Wagner. “We were immediately hooked by the concept and wanted to be a part of it.  Portland is the perfect stomping ground for an adventure like this. We can’t wait to introduce the world to Saint John.”

This series is for anyone who has ever loved or hated Portland and everyone who has always wondered just what makes the Rose City such a fascinating and powerful place. Produced with — and featuring the fashion of — Portland Gear, lace up your high tops (and don’t forget your PDX carpet socks!) and join in on a 4-issue miniseries that is everything Portland.

Praise for Dan Schkade and Brennan Wagner:

“[Dan Schkade’s] Lavender Jack reminds me of the City Watch books in the Discworld series by Terry Pratchett, a similar level of drama and politics combined with lush and visually interesting action scenes.” — Women Write about Comics

“Paired with colorist Brennan Wagner, the artwork side of this book is really beautiful. …  His coloring choices keep this issue firmly within the Mignolaverse while still allowing him to stay true to his own style. His palette for the environments feels akin to much of Dave Stewart’s work, while his characters are brighter in tone, stepping outside of the typical look throughout the various series.” — Multiversity Comics

A distinctly PDX miniseries from Eisner-nominated cartoonist Dan Schkade (Lavender Jack, The Spirit) and Portland native creator Brennan Wagner (Grendel, Batman), produced with — and featuring the fashion of — Portland Gear.

* In a partnership with groundbreaking clothing brand, Portland Gear, Dark Horse Comics is proud to present the Rose City's very own superhero, Saint John!

• I've never been to Portland. What sort of "quirks" might this Saint John have "that make the city unique"?

IDW PUBLISHING

KILL MORE #1 (OF 10)

12128655671?profile=RESIZE_710x12128655683?profile=RESIZE_710x

Script: Scott Bryan Wilson | Art: Max Alan Fuchs | Colors: Valentina Briški | Letters: Scott Bryan Wilson | Cover: Max Alan Fuchs | Variants: Goran Sudžuka, Gabriel Hardman | $3.99

The city of Colonia is suffering from total economic collapse, but worse than the unemployment and urban decay is the skyrocketing homicide rate. Most of the few cops left on the force think it's just another symptom of the city's decline, but one detective has a darker theory ... that the most depraved killers in the country have all moved here to take advantage of the chaos. As he and his new partner dig deeper into their rapidly growing list of open cases, they'll find themselves in the crosshairs of a growing group of maniacs who realize that the best way to stay ahead of the cops in a city full of killers ... is to kill more. Nothing can prepare you for Lady Facesmasher, The Sufferer, The Obituary Machine and worse. Lock your doors and journey into the mouth of madness!

“I wrote KILL MORE because it’s the comic I most wanted to read, combining my love of police procedurals, theatrical dialogue, layered plotting ... and unhinged mayhem,” Wilson said. “KILL MORE is eight years in the making! It starts wild, and gets wilder. The intensity is propulsive, like a rocket, as new killers continue to pop up, create chaos, and elude the two detectives with the Sisyphean task of finding them all. The first issue is just the briefest hint at the insanity to come — and the thing about KILL MORE is that you can reread and pick up on things that can only be found on a second read, or a third, or a fourth.”

Each issue of KILL MORE is a distinct artistic package unto itself, with unique “portrait” covers by artist Max Alan Fuchs showcasing each of the killers, ad-free cover-to-cover story, and painstakingly created in-universe backmatter revealing tantalizing hints about Colonia, its media and institutions, and the fate of humanity that led to it. The deep world-building is aided by Fuchs’s immersive, highly detailed, cinematic artwork.

Wilson added, “What Max is doing on art should make every comics fan sit up and take notice. From everyday scenes of a city in decay, to a half-empty police precinct, to procedural inspections of murder victims, to face-melting violence — Max can do it all.”

“Readers of KILL MORE should lock your doors, secure your windows, and shelter in place,” Fuchs said. I know what you think: You can handle this. You’ve read a book about a serial killer before, right? But KILL MORE isn’t about a serial killer — it’s about a never-ending parade of serial killers, where the floats are made of bones, decorated with entrails, and held together with partially crusted gore slurry. But don’t worry — there are still nearly half a dozen police detectives left in the world of KILL MORE, and they may actually solve one or two cases.”

• This would fit in very well at Image.

12128655699?profile=RESIZE_180x18012128655860?profile=RESIZE_180x18012128655868?profile=RESIZE_400x

LISA CHEESE AND GHOST GUITAR (BOOK 1): ATTACK OF THE SNACK GN

11027803467?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Kevin Alvir | 164 pages | Top Shelf | Young Adults (13+) | $19.99

A new hero arises … and her name is Lisa Cheese. For lovers of crackling fury, crazy conspiracies and crunchy rock jams, Top Shelf Productions is proud to present Lisa Cheese and Ghost Guitar: Attack of the Snack, the debut entry in a raw and spectacular new series of graphic novels from Brooklyn cartoonist, musician, and educator Kevin Alvir, hitting shelves in September.

“I started drawing Lisa Cheese comics in my lined notebook at one of my jobs, as an outlet for my feelings about starting out in the workplace,” says Alvir. “In recent years, I returned to this character with a new understanding of the world, and she grew into this bombastic Jack Kirby level superhero, in my own ridiculous way. I hope readers can see themselves in Lisa and be inspired to interact with a heavy world with a light heart."

In Lisa Cheese and Ghost Guitar, a sweet unicorn girl from another dimension moves to Earth City hoping to make a name for herself as a folk singer … but her very first open mic is a disaster, leaving her with a bionic arm and an identity crisis. Now she’s starting a crummy office job, her parents back in their home dimension are laying on the guilt trip, and the cool girl at the record store leaves her tongue-tied. But once she’s drawn into a knock-down, drag-out encounter with a gang of hamburger-headed goons from the sinister megacorporation Beef is Burger, Lisa must rally a ragtag band of supernatural hipsters, conspiracy freaks, and burnt-out office coworkers to thwart their diabolical ambitions!

With explosive energy and a razor-sharp edge, Lisa Cheese and Ghost Guitar skewers everything from youth culture trends to corporate capitalism, capturing the restless spirit of Generation Z just as Scott Pilgrim and Rick and Morty did for millennials. This off-beat urban fantasy is a bombastic celebration of rough-hewn vintage superhero aesthetics, zine-punk audacity, crusty lo-fi passion, and the power of a perfect pork bun.

“You’ve heard of ‘quiet quitting’? Well, Lisa Cheese is as loud as it gets,” says Top Shelf editor Leigh Walton. “Kevin Alvir grabs a fistful of all the frustration and joy of being young and broke in the big city, dunks it in the radioactive ooze of Steve Ditko and Gary Panter, and comes out swinging with an unstoppable cyborg punch.”

Alvir’s off-the-charts creativity has been featured in the pages of Funny or Die, Blackbook, Brooklyn Mag, Edible, The Neu Jorker on albums for acts such as Gabe Liedman, Nicole Yun, Essex Green, Holy Tunics, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, and on television screens for Will Ferrell and for High Maintenance on HBO. Lisa Cheese and Ghost Guitar: Attack of the Snack marks his first full-length graphic novel.

"Combining a vintage comics aesthetic with vibrant, saturated colors ... this fun and chaotic comic evokes underground punk zines through its blend of anger, heart, and anti-corporate themes. Lisa’s self-doubt and journey to find her place and purpose will resonate, particularly with older teens and new adults, while the absurd hilarity and exciting action sequences will keep readers captivated." — Kirkus Reviews

Lisa Cheese and Ghost Guitar brought me back to the days when reading comics was taboo, full of subversion, provocation, and excitement. Alvir is a master of this style... I couldn't imagine a more perfect caper about magically corrupted foodstuffs, and that's just the beginning!" —Steve Orlando, writer of Scarlet Witch, Supergirl, Midnighter

"This is raw and passionate cartooning that slaps. Visceral and violent one moment and endearingly cute the next, Lisa Cheese will charm anyone looking for a vigorous blast of pure comics." —James Kochalka, creator of Johnny Boo, Banana Fox, American Elf

“An utterly unhinged comic overflowing with wit, absurdity and pure childlike energy. Kevin Alvir delivers one infectiously memeable panel after another. Highly addictive reading.” — The Comic Book Couples Counseling Podcast

"This book is an insane delight, blending the struggle of life's mundanities with fun larger-than-life elements to create a fully realized yarn about finding your place amid all the craziness. Where else are you gonna see such dynamic rage over non-dairy coffee? I loved the heck out of it." — Nick Cagnetti, writer/artist of Pink Lemonade

• And this would fit in very well at Silver Sprocket.

11027803272?profile=RESIZE_710x11027802888?profile=RESIZE_710x11027803095?profile=RESIZE_180x180

STAR TREK: PICARD’S ACADEMY #1

12218645282?profile=RESIZE_400x12218645094?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Sam Maggs | Art: Greco Ornella | Cover: Sweeney Boo | $3.99

From New York Times-bestselling author Sam Maggs (Star Wars Jedi: Battle Scars) comes a new ongoing series unveiling the past of one of Starfleet's most celebrated officers: Captain Jean-Luc Picard! Before becoming the Federation's finest, Jean-Luc was an ordinary student at Starfleet Academy with sights on the stars. His path forward was charted: Blow his classmates out of the water on the infamous Evasive Maneuvers exam and graduate early. But there's a detail Cadet Picard hadn't factored into his plan: The exam was a group project and he'd need to make friends with, ugh, people if he stood a chance at passing. Federation starships aren't run by a party of one, after all!

• We saw two versions of Picard's academy days in Next Generation, didn't we? One where he was rash enough to get stabbed in the heart in a bar fight, and another where he was too cautious to be promoted? Either way, I think I'd rather see Kirk's academy days. Or Spock's. Or even Scotty's!

IDW Notes

Sonic the Hedgehog has what is presumably his 900th adventure in SONIC THE HEDGEHOG’S 900TH ADVENTURE. (Warning! Marvel Math may be involved!)

MORE COMICS

NEGADUCK #1

12199456691?profile=RESIZE_400x12199457091?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: Jeff Parker | Art: Ciro Cangialosi | Cover: Joshua Middleton | Variants: Jae Lee, Trish Forstner, Steve Lieber | Dynamite | $3.99

"I am the screeching fingernail on the chalkboard of justice. I am the sour ball in the candy jar of goodness. I am NEGADUCK!"

He's the exact opposite of DD in every way ... evil, nefarious, dedicated to stealing lollipops from kids and not helping grandmas across the street! And now, he's ready to begin a reign of crime and terror the likes of which St. Canard has never seen — except ... dang it, all of the other villains are ripping off his ideas! What's a criminal mastermind to do when the city's thick with other criminals, stealing his shine? Why, take his villainy on the road, of course!

Written with fiendish glee by arch-author JEFF PARKER and illustrated by the suspiciously talented CIRO CANGIALOSI, Negaduck features a regular rogues' gallery of cover artists, including JOSHUA MIDDLETON, JAE LEE, TRISH FORSTNER, and a special Whiteout homage cover by that series' co-creator, STEVE LIEBER!

JEFF PARKER TAKES ON DARKWING’S NEMESIS!

Many fans are going to be jumping into this series from the main Darkwing Duck title, or perhaps trying it out first then exploring our other Disney titles. How would you introduce fans to Negaduck and his relation to Darkwing?

Everything you need to know about Negaduck is right there in his name — he’s Darkwing’s evil opposite. Yet, he still has the same large opinion of himself (large ego, large hat). Though he considers himself Darkwing’s greatest foe, he still follows his own path — he’s not particularly obsessed with Darkwing. Like, he can go do crimes that have nothing to do with DD. But, interestingly enough, they all seem to take place in St. Canard.

In his native Negaverse, practically everything is backwards and reversed, from superhero costumes to morality. Negaduck is known for his nefarious villainy. What’s he cooking up in this new story?

When we catch up with him having escaped from prison, he’s already ready to get back at it, menacing the world, pushing the boundaries of crime. But he runs into a very real problem many of us will relate to: As he starts hatching new plans, he finds other villains have come up with similar ideas. It’s really maddening for someone who takes pride in original mayhem.

Darkwing Duck has a quite expansive mythos of characters and fun ideas. Can fans expect to see some other familiar faces in the series, and/or any surprise newcomers?

Yes, you’ll see The Fearsome Foursome and Taurus Bulba immediately. As well as some of Darkwing’s friends.

In addition to your heavy hitter runs on books like Aquaman, Thunderbolts and Hulk, you’ve also received a lot of acclaim for your work on all-ages or retro-style tales as well as genres outside of traditional superheroes, such as Batman ’66, Future Quest and Flash Gordon. What makes you such a great match, and what draws you to these kinds of off-the-beaten-path projects?

I get to start with great material, the original TV animation and all those cool Tad Stones ideas, so that’s a boost right there. When I’m doing stuff that’s very all-ages, I still try to entertain myself first, and I assume the reader is pretty smart even when very young. I like how universal in appeal books like this can be — you “get it” within a page and are along for the ride, you don’t have to read a Wiki entry before beginning. I like to make stories for newer readers and get older readers to reconnect to the kind of work that pulled them into comics and animation. Also, I love that I can give these books out at Halloween with candy, that’s a big plus with all-ages stories.

Ciro Cangialosi has been knocking it out of the park already, drawing several of the action figure-themed variant covers for Darkwing Duck, including the one featuring Negaduck on issue #6. What does he bring to the collaboration artistically, and how has the collaboration been going so far?

Yeah, it was pretty exciting to find out [editor] Nate Cosby got Ciro to draw this story. I’ve seen a few pages so far and they’re gorgeous. People may not realize that a project like this is harder to draw than a comic with a cast of human characters. Negaduck, Darkwing, Morgana, Megavolt — these characters have very specific designs you can’t veer from, and the environment has to look right to fit with them. Thankfully, Ciro is a powerhouse who can do all this, it makes me confident in describing big visuals because I know he’ll knock it out of the park.

• Y'all seem to like these Disney-Dynamite books, so here's another big one!

12199456875?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199456889?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199457452?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199457268?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199457859?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199457675?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199457892?profile=RESIZE_180x180

HARRIET TUBMAN: DEMON SLAYER #1 

12218671087?profile=RESIZE_400x12218675060?profile=RESIZE_180x180Story: David Crownson | Art/Cover: Courtland Ellis | Variants: Johnny Desjardins, Canaan White, Khary Randolph, Derek Laufman, John Broglia & Winston Chan | Massive-Whatnot | $4.99

Concept artist and Harriet Tubman: Demon Slayer series artist Courtland Ellis delivers his signature design for this groundbreaking debut.

Soon to be an original series on Disney+!

Django Unchained meets Buffy The Vampire Slayer in David Crownson's Harriet Tubman : Demon Slayer, a supernatural comic series based on the true life of the freedom fighter herself that is flavored with genre liberties in the spirit of Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

When slave owners can't stop the formidable ninja warrior Harriet Tubman, they call on the help of Vampires, Werewolves, Witches and Demons to stop her. Harriet Tubman must lead a family of slaves to freedom while battling an army of darkness.

• Well, if Abraham Lincoln can fight vampires, I guess Harriet Tubman can fight demons. And she was sort-of a superhero in real life.
  • Note the Captain America Comics #1 homage.

12218671495?profile=RESIZE_180x18012218670901?profile=RESIZE_180x18012218673074?profile=RESIZE_180x180

BLOODBORNE: THE BLEAK DOMINION #1 (OF 4)

12163758298?profile=RESIZE_400x

Writer: Cullen Bunn  | Artist: Piotr Kowalski  | Cover: Werther Dell'edera | Variants: Alan Quah, Abigail Harding, Yoshioka, The Knott  | Titan Comics | $3.99

CELEBRATED HORROR COMICS WRITER CULLEN BUNN AND FAN-FAVORITE ARTIST PIOTR KOWALSKI TEAM UP ONCE MORE!

In the plagued city of Yharnam, hunters Gretchen and Abraham search for their missing protégé. Under the blood moon, a scourge of beasts stalk the streets, and a new threat lurks around every corner. The duo must venture deep into the depths of the chalice dungeons in order to find Lucien, but malignant and ancient horrors await them. Will they find him? And what terrifying surprise awaits them if they do?

• Wow, that is some preview!

12163758662?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163758486?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163759052?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163758690?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163759258?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163759093?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163759466?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163759655?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163759668?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163759901?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163760089?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163760652?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163760665?profile=RESIZE_180x18012148435279?profile=RESIZE_180x18012148434890?profile=RESIZE_180x18012148435654?profile=RESIZE_180x18012148435093?profile=RESIZE_180x18012148435493?profile=RESIZE_180x180

TOTEM

12218786085?profile=RESIZE_400xStory/Art: Laura Pérez | Fantagraphics | 144 pages | $24.99

Two young women road trip through the Arizona desert in search of a spiritual awakening. Crowds gather to see the village wise woman commune with the dead. Strange bright lights flash across the night sky, provoking all manner of interpretations.

A mosaic of experiences, Totem offers tantalizing glimpses of characters on their own journeys connected by some ethereal thread. The narrative slips through time and space, delicately drifting from reality to different states of consciousness. Like a vivid dream, this story is rendered through eerie settings and potent symbols, a spiritual puzzle inviting the reader to piece together.

With Totem, this self-assured graphic novel by Spanish illustrator and comics artist Laura Pérez is presented in English for the first time. Pérez presents an entrancing, contemporary vision of magic and mystery, aptly rendered through her wispy, atmospheric pencil lines.

"A work that is deep, sinister and beautiful at the same time. Laura Pérez manages to link impossible realities with the natural mastery of a desert rose." — Javier Pérez Campos

"The beauty and delicacy of Totem takes us to a state of consciousness that I didn't know I could reach with a comic." — Laura Barrachina

"Each Laura Pérez story is a kind of bridge that allows you to go from the visible world to that other world where thoughts and dreams are capable of transforming our reality." — Jesús Callejo

• Magical realism? Metaphor? Symbolism? English professors are going to love this book.

12164236666?profile=RESIZE_400x

12219583668?profile=RESIZE_180x180

12219583864?profile=RESIZE_180x180

HOUR OF NEED GN

12218676295?profile=RESIZE_400xStory: Ralph Shayne | Art: Tatiana Goldberg | Little Bee Books | $14.99

In the Hans Christian Anderson fairy tale, legend had it that should danger ever come to Denmark, the mighty warrior Holger Danske promised to wake from his centuries-long slumber to protect its citizens. When the Nazis move to round up young Mette and her fellow Danish Jews in a surprise raid in 1943 after years of letting Denmark rule its people, her father must make life and death decisions to save his family. Overnight, they have become refugees at the mercy of the complete strangers they meet during their escape. The mythical Holger Danske's promise to the Danish people manifests in the compassion and bravery of a schoolteacher turned resistance leader and other ordinary citizens who bravely defy the Nazi regime to come to her rescue in her hour of need.

• We will never run out of World War II stories no one's every heard before.

MINGUS HC

10889979486?profile=RESIZE_400xSquaz, Flavio Massarutto | NBM | 160 pages | HC, $29.99 | e-book: $19.99

"Anybody can make the simple complicated. Creativity is making the complicated simple." — Charles Mingus

"I play what I am. I play Mingus."

This comic biography tells the troubled life, the battles against racism, the brilliant music of a master who has left an indelible mark on the jazz scene and beyond. From his beginnings in Los Angeles in the 1940s to his heartbreaking end in Mexico, the story of a man of indomitable and rebellious talent who crossed styles while always remaining himself, in perpetual struggle against a society that wanted him marginalized and subordinated.

Bass player and pianist, composer and band leader, Charles Mingus is universally recognized as one of the greatest musicians in the history of jazz. An overflowing talent, who experienced the last fires of the swing age, the Bebop revolution, the experimental seasons of Third Stream and Jazz Poetry up to Free Jazz. But he was also a tormented and angry soul, a man who, due to his mestizo origins, always had to deal with the hostility of American society.

Journalist Flavio Massarutto and artist Squaz (Pasquale Todisco) retrace the stages of Mingus's journey, giving life to a non-canonical biography, which proceeds in paginated episodes like a succession of passages that form a musical suite: fragments of existence told by fishing from interviews, writings, testimonies and historical facts. The portrait of a musician who is the mirror of an era comes out of a brilliant composer who was also one of the most clearly committed artists in denouncing racism, with real manifesto pieces such as the famous Fable of Faubus denouncing the segregationist governor of Arkansas.

In the words of Massarutto and in the evocative art of Squaz, which also reinterpret some of the famous covers of Mingus records, we relive the burning parable of a restless man, always in search of perfection, in constant struggle with himself and with the world: a master capable of leaving an indelible mark on the musical and cultural panorama of the twentieth century.

• I don't know who Mingus is, but maybe you do.
  • Here’s a preview.

More Notes

The Superteens and She-Fox appear in WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #133 ($9.99).

Bob Al-Greene adapts the famous Agatha Christie novel MURDER ON THE ORIENT EXPRESS for William Morrow.

Hermes Press brings THE PHANTOM: THE GOLD KEY YEARS VOL 1 HC and THE PHANTOM: THE GOLD KEY YEARS VOL 2 HC back in print.

Penguin Random House continues with its series of high-end Marvel reprints with MARVEL CLASSICS AVENGERS GN, MARVEL CLASSICS FANTASTIC FOUR GN and MARVEL CLASSICS X-MEN GN.

Writer/artist Tom Scioli plays it safe by presenting graphic novels devoted to the lives of both Stan and Jack at the same time, with I AM STAN GN and JACK KIRBY GN at Ten Speed Press. 

CODA #1 is the first issue of a BOOM! fantasy series. Here's a PREVIEW.

More Previews 

DARK RIDE #8

12199036895?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199037476?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199037293?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199037498?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199038068?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199037890?profile=RESIZE_180x18012199038098?profile=RESIZE_180x180

KAMEN RIDER ZERO-ONE VOL. 1 TP

12163864869?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163864882?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163864895?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163865065?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163865265?profile=RESIZE_180x18012163865088?profile=RESIZE_180x180

SCARLETT COUTURE: THE MUNICH FILE #2 (of 5)

12215231879?profile=RESIZE_180x18012215231895?profile=RESIZE_180x18012215232455?profile=RESIZE_180x18012215232470?profile=RESIZE_180x18012218680875?profile=RESIZE_180x18012218680898?profile=RESIZE_180x18012218683292?profile=RESIZE_180x18012218684066?profile=RESIZE_180x180

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• AVENGERS INC. #1: Y'wanna know what interests me about this series? Story: Al Ewing | Art: Leonard Kirk

CAPTAIN MARVEL: THE SAGA OF MONICA RAMBEAU TP: I haven't enjoyed Monica Rambeau since editor Ralph Macchio drove writer Roger Stern from Avengers over the direction of the character Stern himself (co-)created.

Either way, I think I'd rather see Kirk's academy days. Or Spock's. Or even Scotty's!

The Autobiogrphy of James T. Kirk ("editied" by David A. Goodman) was very good. So was The Autobiogrphy of Jean-Luc Picard (also by David A. Goodman). I perferred the Kirk one, but I prefer Kirk ro Picard; I suspect someone who prefers Picard would like his more than Kirk's. I don't remember anything specific about The Autobiogrphy of Kathryn Janeway (by Una McCormack). October will see the release of The Autobiogrphy of Benjamin Sisko. The only one I recommend steering clear of at all costs is The Autobiogrphy of Mr. Spock (also by Uma McCormack) because it tries to blend the original universe in with the rebooted TV universe and it can't be done. Also, it completely sidesteps the matter of Spock's marriage (although it was dealt with, briefly, in the Picard one). 

I don't know who Mingus is, but maybe you do.

Charlie Mingus is one of the greatest improvisational jazz musicians of time (and not just "all time so far"; I'm including the future in that statement). Next you'll be tellin' me you don't know who Miles Davis is (or Thelonius Monk, or Charlie Parker, or...).

Only one comic caught my eye today (Danger Street), but I'll be going to my LCS on Wedneday anyway (as always) because the owner just bought a collection of MAD magazines and I just updated my checklist last night.

Charles Mingus
    Charles Mingus Jr. (April 22, 1922 – January 5, 1979) was an American jazz upright bassist, composer, bandleader, pianist, and author. A major propon…
  • I know who Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk and Charlie Parker are. But Mingus was a blind spot. Now I know better!

• To be fair, Skipper, I'd heard of Davis, Monk and Parker, but I'd also never heard of Mingus, either.

• What Jeff said. I can see how non-jazz fans might not know of him: he never had the kind of mainstream attention those other more famous musicians got. He was brilliant as a composer and double bassist. His tunes are so original that they are very hard to play! They often went outside the basic song forms that most pop and jazz employ.

• I was in band in high school. Also, in college, I took an elective course "Jazz, Pop & Rock" in which I learned about a lot of these musicians. I didn't really need the music credit because I was in Marching Mizzou, but i took it anyway. Today, false modesty aside, I could teach that course. 

I looked at the Mingus book but I didn't buy it; it looked a little lightweight to me. I would love to read it, but I.m not sure it's worth $30. I hate to sound cheap, but I've been burned on biographical comics (of all stripes) before.

•  I can see how non-jazz fans might not know of him.

That would be me. I've enjoyed the jazz I've heard -- which is mainly the famous stuff that finds itself in movies and TV -- but have never made even a passing study of the field. And when jazz is mentioned in movies and TV, they usually throw around names like Monk, Parker and Davis. Now I know more about Mingus than I do the other three!

I haven't enjoyed Monica Rambeau since editor Ralph Macchio drove writer Roger Stern from Avengers over the direction of the character Stern himself (co-)created.

Yes, pretty appalling treatment of a creator and a character, both of which I enjoyed. Which might be mitigated if Macchio had big plans for Rambeau, but obviously he didn't. She just wandered in the comic book wildnerness, going from guest star spot to guest star spot, name to name, personality to personality. The character is so muddled now that I have no interest in her, and am irritated when she appears because I am forced to Google her current name/occupation. Maybe the movie will fix that.

The Autobiogrphy of James T. Kirk ("editied" by David A. Goodman) was very good ...

I had no idea these books existed. Thanks for the thumbnail reviews!

This reply was deleted.