Comics Guide: May 1-7, 2023

<p style="clear: both;">

DARK HORSE COMICS

THE ART OF HORIZON FORBIDDEN WEST DELUXE EDITION GN

Guerilla Games | Deluxe $99.99/HC $49.99

Journey deep into the world of Horizon through The Art of Horizon Forbidden West. This dynamic, full-color hardcover features concept art and creator commentary chronicling the development of the latest adventure in the epic Horizon saga.

When a deadly red blight threatens life on a post-apocalyptic Earth, machine hunter Aloy must tackle new dangers in the mysterious frontier of the Forbidden West in order to save her world. The highly anticipated sequel to Horizon Zero Dawn has arrived, and with it, all-new vibrant landscapes, jaw-dropping machines, and thrilling secrets to discover.

Follow Aloy on her next adventure with this stunning chronicle created by Dark Horse Books in association with Guerrilla! The Art of Horizon Forbidden West uncovers the mysteries of our lost civilization and the lush new world that has grown from the ashes with more than 200 pages of behind-the-scenes artwork and intimate developer commentary, collected in a beautifully designed hardcover volume.

• They send it, I post it.

BASIL AND OREGANO TP

Story/Art: Melissa Capriglione | $19.99

From Dark Horse Books and up-and-coming artist Melissa Capriglone (S.P.I.R.I.T, PiNKHEARTS, Falconhyrste) comes the new graphic novel Basil and Oregano, a magical queer tale full of cooking and competition.

Porta Bella Magiculinary Academy is the finest school for the art of cooking with magic, and Basil Eyres is determined to be the top student. On the first day of Basil’s senior year, Arabella Oregano, the daughter of a renowned chef, joins the academy for her senior year as well. The two are instantly smitten with each other, but Basil senses there’s something Arabella is hiding from her. Still, the two work together to stand out from the class as the end-of-year culinary festival approaches. But when Arabella’s secret is revealed, Basil is faced with the hardest decision of her life, which has the potential to throw her future aspirations in jeopardy.

A YA LGBTQIA+ yale suitable for all audiences

Praise for Falconhyrste:

“It’s a delightful, queer-inclusive fantasy comic with interesting characters and plenty of mystery …” — The Beat

“It's fun and mysterious, beautiful and youth-accessible, magical and thoughtful in its representation. And it's completely addicting. Definitely check it out if you're the magical boarding school type, and honestly, even if you're not.” — Comic Book Yeti

• Yeah, it's for Young Adults, but they sent me so much info I felt obliged to post it.
  • Here's a preview.

CREEPY ARCHIVES VOL 1 TP

Story/Art: Archie Goodwin, Al Williamson, Reed Crandall, Alex Toth, Joe Orlando, more | Cover: Frank Frazetta | $24.99

Gather your wooden stakes and silver bullets because the Creepy and Eerie Archives are coming back to shelves! Dark Horse Books and New Comic Company present new paperback editions of the groundbreaking horror collections of Creepy magazine and its cousin, Eerie. The New York Times bestselling collections will be printed in their original 8.5” x 11” size and include original letters pages, text features, and ads.

Collects Creepy magazine issues #1-5.

• If you're of a certain age, these magazines were formative in your childhood. They certainly were in mine.
  • Here's a preview.

HAIRBALL #2 (OF 4)

LOT 13 TP

Story: Steve Niles | Art/Cover: Glenn Fabry | $19.99

Dark Horse Books presents Lot 13, a terrifying horror story from the minds of Steve Niles (30 Days of Night) and Glenn Fabry (Preacher). Originally published by DC Comics in single issues, this edition collects the full series for the first time in print.

In 1670, in a small colony in Fairfax, Virginia, Robert Wyatt killed his family before taking his own life. The town elders held a tribunal and found Wyatt and his family guilty of mortal sin, and cast their bodies into unholy ground for eternity — or did they? When a young couple and their three young children move into a mysterious apartment building, they soon begin to see apparitions of the long-dead family of Robert Wyatt. The secrets of the house — and its dangers — are deepening with every passing hour as the young family struggles to escape the horrors surrounding them.

Praise for Lot 13:

“It is quite frankly the most beautiful artwork I have seen Glenn Fabry produce to date.” — Bleeding Cool

“This isn’t slasher horror, but the more methodical under-your-skin kind that is a thousand times more rewarding.” — IGN

• Have I ever seen Glenn Fabry do interior work? I'm not sure I have.
  • Here's a preview.

MOB PSYCHO 100 VOL 11 TP

MURKY WORLD HC

Story/Art: Richard Corben | $39.99

Known for his legendary fantasy underground masterpieces published by Fantagor Press as well as in Heavy Metal, Richard Corben’s work returns to Dark Horse in an exclusive line that will reprint his long-out-of-print work with new material in deluxe hardcover editions, including introductions from other comics legends, and never-before-published graphic novels as well.

The first book in the line will be Murky World, collected completely in print for the first time, presented in a gorgeous hardcover with a dust jacket. In Murky World, Tugat the warrior wakes from a strange dream to find himself in a bizarre land populated by hungry deadlings, cruel necromancers, buxom cyclops, evil cults, and more as he sets off on a dangerous journey with his beloved horse Frix. This special edition also includes an introduction by Hellboy creator Mike Mignola, Corben’s Dark Horse Presents one-shot, and never-before-seen bonus material.

Praise for Richard Corben:

“The artist I most want to aspire to is Richard Corben. His style is visual and it tells the story just as you see it ... my favorite is Corben. I love everything he does, I love his stuff ...he’s an amazing artist.” — Guillermo del Toro

“Corben's work is singular in its humanity. He works with towering technical skill. ... The wondrous thing of it all is that underneath all that technical tour de force is the sound of a beating heart.” — Will Eisner

“Mr. Richard Corben ... a genuine giant of his chosen medium.” — Alan Moore

“Richard Corben stands among us like an extraterrestrial peak. He has sat in his throne a long time, above the moving and multi-colored field of world comics, like an effigy of the leader, a strange monolith, a sublime visitor, a solitary enigma." — Moebius

• Well, yes, that's all well and good for other creators to like his stuff. And, honestly, I was blown away by Corben when I first clapped eyes on something he did, although where and when that was I can't say. But as I saw more and more Corben work, it achieved a sort of sameness to me. So do I really want to launch into collecting another series of books whose endpoint I can't see from here? 
  • Oh, what am I saying. Of course I will.
  • Here's a preview.

RESIDENT ALIEN OMNIBUS VOLUME 2 TP

Story: Peter Hogan | Art/Cover: Steve Parkhouse | $29.99

Dark Horse Books returns to the small town of Patience, Washington, in Resident Alien Omnibus Volume 2. Written by Peter Hogan (2000 AD, Tom Strong) with art, colors and lettering by Steve Parkhouse (War Birds, Milkman Murders), this omnibus collects the Resident Alien graphic novels Volumes 4 through 6: The Man with No Name, An Alien in New York and Your Ride’s Here, along with the Free Comic Book Day 2022 short story “The Ghost.” The beloved comics are the inspiration for the hit SYFY series Resident Alien, starring Alan Tudyk as Harry Vanderspeigle.

A stranded alien explorer — hiding in plain sight — has been posing as a doctor and solving crimes in the small town of Patience, Washington. After Harry accidentally reveals himself to investigators who are on his trail, a mysterious arsonist and a stubborn federal agent arrive in town to heat things up! The local sheriff must decide if he’ll remain loyal to his inquisitive friend Harry, and nurse Asta finally realizes the danger she and Harry are both in.

Praise for Resident Alien:

“A pitch-perfect narrative from two of my favorite creators.” — Alan Moore

“One of the most charming and wonderful comics being published today.” — Jeff Lemire

“Dark Horse has another sturdy character study on its hands. So, by all means rush to your local comic shop and give this odd one a chance to impress.” — Snap Pow

“A sci-fi murder mystery, Resident Alien: The Suicide Blonde engages its readers with a supporting cast of quirky characters and a weird-looking protagonist.” — Bloody Disgusting

• It's a perfectly charming book, and probably worth your time ... although the TV show does much more with the premise (and makes me laugh out loud).
  • Here's a preview.

SKULL & BONES #3 (OF 3)

STAR WARS: HIGH REPUBLIC ADVENTURES #4 (OF 8)

STAR WARS: HIGH REPUBLIC ADVENTURES — THE NAMELESS TERROR #3 (OF 4)

SURVIVAL #1 (OF 5)

Story: Sean Lewis | Art: Bryndon Everett | Cover: Natalie Barahona & Tomm Coker | $3.99

When Emma Reed journeyed back to her hometown in Alaska, she was expecting little more than a tense family reunion at the annual military alumni get together. But early that morning, a plane crash landed in the thick woods near the mountain. And the creature within brings an ancient terror to the last American frontier, and will turn this unspoiled wilderness into a killing ground.

Dark Horse Comics presents a new political horror-action comic set in the Alaskan wilderness with Survival #1. This new comic series combines the action-packed drama of Red Dawn and the horror of 30 Days of Night. Sean Lewis (King Spawn) and artist Bryndon Everett (Half Breeds) present a new invasion as supernatural Russian forces storm the coast of Alaska. But this siege isn’t just designed for political dominance and empire building — these invaders will literally attempt to suck the blood from their new target. Natalie Barahona (Kill Whitney Donovan) provides colors, with lettering by Ed Dukeshire, and cover art by Tomm Coker (The Black Monday Murders). The series is produced by 12-Gauge Comics (Plastic, Plush).

"Survival was written years before Russia invaded Ukraine,” writer Sean Lewis reflects. “Some would call it prescient, but it seemed obvious — old empires don't like to fall. Survival merges a social aspect with a very fun, very pulp story of vampires and machine guns, survivalists and invaders.”

“Not only did I grow up at the tail end of the Cold War reading comics, pulp novels and watching B-movies with my Dad, but my grandfather was also a hermit on the Olympic peninsula,” artist Bryndon Everett explains. “I spent my summers with him on his mountain, learning bushcraft and learning the value of self-reliance. This is my world, so it was a whole lot of fun getting to be a part of this project.”

• "Supernatural Russian forces" are three words I never wanted to hear.

WHERE MONSTERS LIE #4 (OF 4)

DC COMICS

ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN JON KENT #3 (OF 6)

BATMAN #135/#900

Story: Chip Zdarsky | Art: Jorge Jimeniz, Mike Hawthorne, Adriano Di Benedetto | Covers: Jorge Jimenez, Joe Quesada, Gabriele Dell'Otto, Stanley "Artgerm" Lau, Kael Ngu, Neal Adams, Lee Bermejo, Jim Cheung | 56 pages | $6.99/$7.99 (card stock)

It’s Batman versus Red Mask in a brutal Gotham that’s never known hope! Can the Dark Knight overcome the terrifying infection that Red Mask has unleashed? Only one thing is certain: he won’t be able to do it alone.

The conclusion to the bestselling “The Bat-Man of Gotham” is so big it could only be contained in an oversize #900 anniversary issue featuring the return of fan-favorite artist Jorge Jiménez and a wild collection of guest stars! Full of wild revelations and a new path for Batman, this is one issue you won’t want to miss!

• Glad they put "900" fairly large on the front. But next issue, I'm sure, will be #136. Bah!

BATMAN #181 FACSIMILE EDITION

• This is the first Poison Ivy story.
  • I remember reading this off the stands. She was just a hot chick with a gimmick at first (and very heterosexual). Now she's like Swamp Thing or something (and lesbian).

BATMAN & THE JOKER: DEADLY DUO #7 (OF 7)

BATMAN: THE AUDIO ADVENTURES #6 (OF 7)

CATWOMAN VOL. 2: CAT INTERNATIONAL TP

FLASH #798

• Guest stars Mr. Terrific.

JOKER: THE MAN WHO STOPPED LAUGHING #8

• Guest stars Solomon Grundy.

JUSTICE LEAGUE VOL. 3: LEAGUES OF CHAOS HC

PEACEMAKER TRIES HARD #1 (OF 6)

Story: Kyle Starks | Art: Steve Pugh | Covers: Kris Anka, Bjorn Barends, Eric Battle, Dan Hipp, Simone Di Meo | 32 pages | $4.99/$9.99

Having earned his release from the Suicide Squad, Peacemaker wants to try and do normal superhero stuff for a change. Unfortunately everyone, including the bad guys, thinks he sucks at superhero stuff. But when busting up a terrorist ring introduces Christopher Smith to the cutest thing to ever walk (awkwardly) on four legs, he finds the unconditional love he’s been denied his whole life. That is, until the dog is kidnapped right out from under him by a supervillain who has some very un-superheroic plans for Peacemaker’s brand of ultraviolence. Will he help an infamously unstable super-powered criminal steal the world’s most valuable — and dangerous — DNA? Honestly, Christopher’s pretty lonely, so it probably just depends on how nicely they ask.

Breakout writer Kyle Starks (I Hate This Place, Six Sidekicks of Trigger Keaton) and art legend Steve Pugh (Preacher Special: Saint of Killers, Harley Quinn: Breaking Glass) deliver a brutal and hilarious take on DC’s biggest P.O.S. that will bust guts, break bones, and melt hearts!

• I didn't like DC's take on Peacemaker at first (i.e., he's insane, and talks to his dead father all the time), but James Gunn's writing and John Cena's performance made him one of my favorite characters. At least on screen. I dunno if that will translate (back) into comics.

POISON IVY #12

Story: G. Willow Wilson | Art: Marcio Takara | Covers: Jessica Fong, Jenny Frison, Xermánico, Mateus Manhanini | 32 pages | $3.99/$4.99 (card stock)

Ivy and Janet’s celebrity wellness excursion comes to a horrifically tantalizing close as Pamela Isley faces the unintended fruits of her murderous road trip. Will she make it back home to Harley in one piece or is Ivy going to be added to GLØP’s body count?

There sure is nothing quite like a romantic night with your sweetie in the swamp to make your mouth water. It’s the dawn of a new day as Pamela Isley makes her return to Harley and Gotham City with a lovestruck Janet-from-HR in tow. The tension’s so thick you could cut it with a fan boat’s propeller!

• It's good to have your own title. You can kill anybody you want!

SHAZAM #1

Story: Mark Waid | Art/Cover: Dan Mora | Covers: Chris Samnee & John Timms, Evan "Doc" Shaner, Ariel Colon, Dan Mora, Mike Deodata | 32 pages | $3.99/$5.99 (foil)

The World’s Finest creators present the World’s Mightiest Mortal in a dazzling solo series!

Dinosaurs from space! The Clubhouse of Eternity! Homicidal worms and talking tigers! Atomic robots, alien worlds, mad scientists, sinister curses, and villains from throughout the DC Universe — welcome to the wild adventures of Billy Batson, whose big red alter ego defends the Earth from its weirdest and wildest threats! Want to stop Lex Luthor and The Joker? Call Superman and Batman! International crises? Page Wonder Woman! But when Garguax, Emperor of the Moon, sets his sights on Gorilla City, that’s when you shout “Shazam!” The fan-favorite team of Mark Waid and Dan Mora (Batman/Superman: World’s Finest) brings the magic!

• Evidently Shazam's new name is "The Captain," and Mary Marvel's new name is ... "Mary Marvel." And Mark Waid's going to write the new book. All steps in the right direction, if you ask me. Now, if they can just move Fawcett City to Earth-5 ...

SHAZAM: THE MONSTER SOCIETY OF EVIL HC

• Not the original Golden Age story. It's a 2007 remake, by Jeff Smith (Bone).

SUPERMAN: SPACE AGE HC

• I've been tradewaiting this.

SUPERMAN: THE 85TH ANNIVERSARY COLLECTION 

• I'll get this, but odds are I'll have read every story in it.

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

BARBARELLA: CENTER CANNOT HOLD #3

DRACULINA: BLOOD SIMPLE #3

LORD OF THE JUNGLE #5

IDW PUBLISHING

BREATH OF SHADOWS #4

DARK SPACES: WILDFIRE TP

MY LITTLE PONY #12

STAR TREK: DS9 — DOG OF WAR #2

STAR TREK: LOWER DECKS TP

TMNT/USAGI YOJIMBO: WHEREWHEN #2

IMAGE COMICS

ALMIGHTY #4

BLOOD TREE #4

THE DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH VOL 1: THE COMPLETE CONSPIRACY DELUXE HC

HAUNTHOLOGY TP

Story/Art: Jeremy Haun | Mature | $16.99

From fan-favorite creator Jeremy Haun (The Beauty, The Realm, The Red Mother, The Approach) comes a dread-inducing collection of 28 tales of terror in the forthcoming, Haunthology. This hair-raising tome of short stories and vignettes features an introduction by Shirley Jackson Award winning author Nathan Ballingrud and will haunt the shelves in May 2023 from Image Comics.

From creatures of the night … to even more terrifying creatures of the day, readers were first introduced to Haunthology’s nightmarish mindscapes through a successful Kickstarter campaign. Whether exploring a claustrophobic old house full of nefarious entities or exploring the heavy thoughts one has during the end of the world, this very personal project was completely written and drawn during the COVID shutdowns.

“All of our lives changed in 2020. More than we could ever imagine," said Haun. "My way of dealing with all of that, as much as possible, was taking all of the things we were all dealing with — confusion, loneliness, fear and anger — and then telling weird little horror stories about them. I’ve always loved short stories. I’m just fascinated by what writers like Laird Barron, Nathan Ballingrud, Clive Barker, Joe Hill and Stephen King do with prose. There are a lot of anthologies in comics. I wanted to do a true short story collection. Haunthology is a love letter to that.”

Early praise for Haunthology: 

“Fans of great horror comics do not want to miss out on this deeply unsettling collection.” — James Tynion IV, The Department of Truth

Haunthology somehow manages to be deeply personal and deeply creepy and cool. Jeremy Haun always delivers and this is no exception. I’m all in!” — Jeff Lemire, Sweet Tooth, Gideon Falls

“Jeremy Haun is an expert craftsman at building short horror stories that dig under your skin and wriggle around there. Fans of great horror comics do not want to miss out on this deeply unsettling collection.” — James Tynion IV, The Department of Truth

“The Haunthology is a beautifully presented collection of splintered horrors rendered in intricately considered lines of ink. Peel away the scalp, scratch at the skull, peek inside the mind of Jeremy Haun. I dare you.” — Declan Shalvey, Bog Bodies

“The beautiful, surreal, terrifying tales in Haunthology will do more than scare you. They’ll stick with you. After reading this book, you’ll be pondering the stories, waking from vivid nightmares, and looking over your shoulder for days to come.” — Cullen Bunn, Harrow County, The Sixth Gun

Haunthology delivers a sequence of beautifully apocalyptic vignettes. Haun’s vision of creeping doom is what I want from cosmic horror: stark, gritty, sensational.” — Laird Barron, Swift to Chase

“Each of these tales grabs you somewhere uncomfortable and doesn’t let go till it has to. Knowing Jeremy, it’s easy to see within these pages how personal this project is to him…Most of all I’m just glad I made it out of the final page alive.” — Mitch Gerads, Strange Adventures, Mister Miracle, Batman

“Jeremy Haun has crafted something truly unsettling here, and I can’t recommend it enough.” — Alex Grecian, The Yard, Rasputin

“I haven’t been this excited and inspired by a horror comic since Emily Carroll’s Through the Woods.” — Nathan Ballingrud, North American Lake Monsters

“Jeremy Haun's Haunthology marries a meticulously detailed artistic style to a series of vignettes gruesome, strange and disturbing. The world ends, and ends, and ends again. People ready themselves to face the unimaginable. Death looms, and so does what lies on the other side of death. Together, these brief narratives form a dark kaleidoscope. Press your eye to the lens, and see what it has to show you.” — John Langan, Children of the Fang and Other Genealogies

• I like horror anthologies.
  • One complaint: Why do they need the second "h" in the title? I keep reading it as haun-THAWL-a-gee

HEY KIDS! COMICS! VOL. 3: SCHLOCK OF THE NEW #2 (OF 6)

I HATE THIS PLACE #8 

Story: Kyle Starks | Art/Cover: Artyom Topilin, Lee Loughridge | Mature | $3.99

Today Skybound unveiled a first look at I Hate This Place #8, the latest issue of the GLAAD Media Award-nominated supernatural horror series from creator/writer Kyle Starks (Assassin Nation, The Six Sidekicks of Trigger Keaton), creator/artist Artyom Topilin (Ice Cream Man Presents Quarantine Comix Special), colorist Lee Loughridge (Deadly Class, The Good Asian), and letterer Pat Brosseau (Birthright, Manifest Destiny).

After jumping through a mysterious portal, Gabby finally gets some answers about what the hell is going on! Meanwhile, Trudy is reunited with a literal ghost from their past — and after this issue, nothing will be the same! 

“Off to an exciting start, this arc promises to be action-packed the whole way through.” — The Comic Book Dispatch

“This continues to be a must-read horror series.” — Sequential Planet

JUNK RABBIT #2 (OF 5)

LEAST WE CAN DO VOL 1 TP

LOVE EVERLASTING #7

RADIANT BLACK #24

STARSIGNS #1

Story: Saladin Ahmed | Art/Cover: Megan Levens, Kelly Fitzpatrick | Covers: Levens & Fitzpatrick, Colleen Doran | Mature | $3.99 

Eisner Award winning writer Saladin Ahmed (Miles Morales, TerrorWar), superstar artist Megan Levens (Star Trek, Madame Frankenstein), and colorist Kelly Fitzpatrick team for the forthcoming Starsigns. This exciting new series about astrology, superpowers and diverse found family — in the tradition of X-Men and Heroes — is set to launch in May from Image Comics.

"Since ancient times, the western zodiac's strange iconography has been a rich wellspring for tale-telling. Starsigns draws from that ancient wellspring to tell a very modern story of superhuman 'found family.' Starsigns is a 'real world' superhero story that  refuses to succumb to cynicism. An insistence that no matter how bleak things are, the universe still holds love and solidarity, kindness and hope," said Ahmed. "Megan's striking designs and bright, clean lines have leveled up the story at every turn, and I can't wait for readers to experience this new world we've built."

In Starsigns, the constellations of the zodiac fall to earth, granting 12 ordinary people from very different walks of life the superhuman powers of the Starsigns. But each of them is about to learn that power always comes with a price.

Levens added: "Working on Starsigns has been an artist's dream, with its balance of classic superpowered action and deeply relatable human heart. I've fallen in love with this wonderful cast of unlikely heroes and villains that Saladin, Kelly, and I have built together, and I can't wait for readers to meet them."

• The zodiac is just silly. The constellations require a lot of imagination and fuzzy thinking to make them work. From any other position (the Moon, say or anywhere in space) the juxtapositions of the stars that suggest the zodiac don't exist. In a few million years, none of the constellations will appear as they do now. But sure, y'all just keep giving it credence.

WALKING DEAD DLX #62

MARVEL COMICS

AVENGERS WAR ACROSS TIME #5

AVENGERS WEST COAST EPIC COLLECTION: CALIFORNIA SCREAMING TP

SUMMER OF SYMBIOTES

The symbiote characters you know and love as well as exciting new symbiote stars will have their day in the sun! Dubbed the SUMMER OF SYMBIOTES, this celebration of Venom’s 35th anniversary will include a host of ongoing series, limited series and crossovers spotlighting Venom, Carnage, Red Goblin and many more! Today, fans can vibe to the chaotic energy of this symbiote showcase in a new promotional image by Phillip Tan and Scott Williams! A venomous postcard of what’s in store, this outrageous image pays homage to the Marvel swimsuit pinups of the ‘90s, specifically Jim Lee, Scott Williams and Joe Rosas’ iconic poolside pinup from 1991’s X-Men #1.

Here’s a rundown of the titles that will be hosting this upcoming era, including news about titles yet to be fully announced:

VENOM

Crafted by a mastermind team of Al Ewing and Cafu and others, Venom’s current ongoing series will continue to explore the transformative journeys of both Eddie Brock and Dylan Brock. A saga spanning time and space, Eddie has come face to face with the worst parts of himself in the form of new villain Bedlam while Dylan has followed in his father’s footsteps, embracing his own symbiote and becoming a new Marvel hero. And this summer, their symbiote family is about to grow even larger.

CARNAGE

The most terrifying villain in the Marvel Universe has returned! Cletus Kasady is back in Alex Paknadel and Francesco Manna’s CARNAGE ongoing series. With a renewed purpose, Venom’s psychotic offspring is ready to unleash his vengeance on an unsuspecting Marvel Universe and ascend to a glorious new role. After he takes care of Miles Morales, of course.

EXTREME VENOMVERSE

In the same spirit of Edge of Spider-Verse, this landmark new series will take readers to uncharted corners of the symbiote hive with brand-new stories by all-star creators! Witness jaw-dropping turning points for symbiote icons and see never-before-seen Venoms bear their fangs for the very first time including the debuts of a symbiote-hosting Felicia Hardy, a Venom samurai, a Venom spaceknight, and more!

RED GOBLIN

Spinning out the pages of VENOM, a deadly new Goblin takes to the night sky in this ongoing series by writer Alex Pakandel and Marvel Stormbreaker Jan Bazaldua. On stands now, the thrilling saga stars Normie Osborn who’s received his own symbiote and embraces his grandfather Norman’s legacy by becoming the Red Goblin! But will Normie fulfill his dark destiny as an Osborn — or will he and his symbiote strive to make a difference for the better?

The SUMMER OF SYMBIOTES will also infect Marvel Unlimited in the EDGE OF VENOMVERSE UNLIMITED INFINITY COMIC series! A new Venom has been unleashed upon an unsuspecting world in this saga by writer Clay McLeod Chapman and an exciting lineup of artists including Phillip Sevy, Gustavo Duarte, Dax Gordine and Nathan Stockman. On a freezing, snow-covered night a Holy Man comes to the aid of a mother and father terrified to kiss their little girl goodnight. Will he offer salvation or the ultimate destruction? The series drops on Marvel Unlimited on Tuesday, June 13 and J. Holtham will be writing alternating stories, beginning with a special 4th of July address from President Venom.

“It's been far too long since I've written any stories about Venom and company,” Bunn said. “About Eddie, about Flash, about Andi, about Carnage. This story — this completely bonkers epic — feels like the right time to throw my symbiotic hat back in the ring. Returning to a multiverse full of Venom symbiotes, maybe (but hopefully not) for the last time, I knew I had to do something big. Thus, the title — DEATH OF THE VENOMVERSE — was born. Perhaps that title is a bit of a threat for our favorite symbiotes, but I promise you it is not empty! Get ready for plenty of surprises, some heartbreak, and more symbiotes than you can shake a stick at!” 

• Yay, a whole lot of books I can ignore!

CARNAGE REIGNS ALPHA #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Alex Paknadel & Cody Ziglar | Art: Julius Ohta, more | Covers: Ryan Stegman, Taurin Clarke, Kendrick Lim, Kyle Hotz | 64 pages | Teen+ | $7.99

CARNAGE VS. MILES MORALES!

CLETUS KASADY IS BACK and badder than ever. With his soul trapped within the Extrembiote Armor created by Tony Stark during KING IN BLACK, Cletus has the means to level an untold amount of chaos and, well, carnage on New York City and the entire Marvel Universe. But like any good Tony Stark invention, the Extremis coursing through Cletus’ symbiotic veins needs POWER, and that means Cletus is HUNGRY.

Good thing Brooklyn’s very own SPIDER-MAN is there to stand in his way! If he survives their first encounter, that is.

Miles Morales swings into his darkest battle yet in CARNAGE REIGNS! Original Carnage host Cletus Kasady is back and more powerful and bloodthirsty than ever before! And he has a score to settle with Miles — and with all of New York City! Part of the overarching SUMMER OF SYMBIOTES, an entire season of symbiote insanity, the two iconic characters will go head to head this thrilling crossover between their respective ongoing titles as well as the new symbiote series starring Normie Osborn, RED GOBLIN. Crafted by Carnage writer Alex Paknadel and Miles Morales: Spider-Man writer Cody Ziglar and featuring art by Julius Ohta, Jan Bazaldua, Federico Vicentini and Francesco Manna, the seven-part epic kicks off with a giant-sized one-shot, CARNAGE REIGNS ALPHA #1.

"Carnage Reigns is an old-fashioned David and Goliath story pitting a greener Spider-Man against the most sadistic monster in the Marvel Universe — Cletus Kasady!” Paknadel explained to Bloody Disgusting. “Miles has only been this out of his depth on a handful of occasions, which is a gift from a storytelling perspective. I've really enjoyed crafting this tale with Cody Ziglar, and we’ve developed a really fun, really productive working shorthand and that fun is present on the page! We know this story will satisfy fans of both characters in their FIRST-EVER CROSSOVER!”

CULT OF CARNAGE: MISERY #1 (OF 5)

Story: Sabir Pirzada | Art: Francesco Mortarino | Madness Concept Art: Francesco Mortarino | Cover By Skan | Variants: Skan, Leinil Francis Yu, Ryan Stegman, Inhyuk Lee | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

DEATH AND DESTRUCTION RETURN HOME!

Liz Allen is the mother of Normie Osborn, who she is blissfully unaware is the all-new and all-deadly RED GOBLIN! But what Liz DOES know is that the Red Goblin has been active and has been seen VERY close to her home. And after her late husband’s father, NORMAN OSBORN (maybe you’ve heard of him?), gets pulled into the chaos and violence swirling around Normie, Liz has no choice but to use the resources at her disposal as the head of ALCHEMAX to take matters into her own hands and become something the Marvel Universe has NEVER SEEN BEFORE!

It’s a fight against MADNESS in Sabir Pirzada and Francesco Mortarino’s CULT OF CARNAGE: MISERY! The new symbiotic monstrosity called Madness inadvertently forced Liz Allan to bond to the all-new MISERY symbiote, changing both her life and the future of symbitoes! Imbued with all the powers and personalities of the LIFE FOUNDATION SYMBIOTES (and more!), Madness is a symbiotic force unlike any other in the Marvel Universe. There is nowhere that Liz Allan can go that Madness cannot follow, no one she can ask for help that Madness cannot destroy, and nothing she can do to stop the brutality of its onslaught. Fans can see Madness in all his glory on the cover of CULT OF CARNAGE: MISERY #4 and concept art by Francesco Mortarino!

• “Summer of Symbiotes” tie-in.
  • Ignoring this.

DARK WEB TP

DEMON WARS: SCARLET SIN #1 ONE-SHOT

Story/Art/Cover: Peach Momoko | Co-Script: Zack Davisson | Variants: Peach Momoko, Gutihiru, Stephanine Hans, Kevin Eastman, Jen Bartel, Mitsuhir Arita | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

Debuting in the final pages of DEMON WARS: DOWN IN FLAMES, Award-winning creator Peach Momoko’s take on Wanda Maximoff is as powerful as her 616 counterpart and she’s set to reveal her fascinating origins this May in DEMON WARS: SCARLET SIN!

The final chapter in the acclaimed DEMON WARS saga, SCARLET SIN will wrap up the latest era of Momoko’s bold vision of the Marvel Universe that blends classic Marvel Comics storytelling with traditional Japanese folklore. Since the Momoko-verse was introduced in 2021’s DEMON DAYS: X-MEN #1, these timeless tales have transported readers of all ages to a world of magic and adventure. Filled with wondrous versions of the Avengers, X-Men and more, this unique and spellbinding experience is sure to captivate readers for generations to come!

The yokai are at war, and Mariko Yashida, descendent of the Oni King, has to choose a side. The fates of the spirit world and the human world hang in the balance. But things just got complicated thanks to the appearance of a mysterious yokai with incredible power. This yokai has a scheme of her own, and she wants to paint the world … scarlet.

“When designing Momiji, Demon Wars’ version of Scarlet Witch, the first thought that came to mind to represent Scarlet Witch was her anger and betrayal,” Momoko explained. “So with this in mind, I was inspired to create her around the Hannya idea. Hannya in Japan is used in Noh theater to represent a woman’s anger and jealousy, and these vengeful spirits turn her into a demon.”

“In Demon Days, most of my characters, even though many were yokai, were all yokai living in the human world, so they had to ‘look human.’ But in Demon Wars, the story takes place in the Ikai, the yokai world, so I had more freedom in designing the characters,” Momoko continued. “They can be human, animal, or an out-of-this-world creature design. So I had lots of fun designing each character. Demon Wars is coming to an end, and I can’t wait to see how readers will react. Thank you!”

• I had my fill of this concept a while ago.

EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #1 (OF 4)

Story: Karla Pacheco, Zander Cannon, more | Art: Pere Pérez, Guillermo Sanna, more | Cover: Patrick Brown | Variants: Ken Lashley, Josemaria Casanovas, SKottie Young | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

INTO THE OTHER EDGE OF THE SPIDER-VERSE!

On May 3, the hit comic book series EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE returns for another wild trip through the Spider-Verse, complete with revolutionary new Spider-heroes and further adventures for the series’ biggest breakout stars, all brought to you from an all-star lineup of talent!

In issue one, readers will take a dark turn down in the seediest part of town to meet SPIDER-KILLER! Protecting a world filled with tragic versions of your favorite Spider-Man characters and villains, SPIDER-KILLER will debut in a moody tale written by Zander Cannon and drawn by Guillermo Sanna. Lurking in the shadows and oozing with mystery, this strange Spider-hero brings a new level of fear to the Spider-Verse. If they dare, fans can gaze into the eyes of SPIDER-KILLER on a newly revealed variant cover for EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #1 by artist Josemaria Casanovas. Casanovas’ connecting cover will adorn all four issues of the series and spotlight a variety of new EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE characters.

EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #1 will also feature the roaring return of SPIDER-REX and the daring debut of VENOMSAURUS in a story by writer Karla Pacheco and Pere Pérez.

• Spider-Killer? To quote Penfold, "Ooh, ick!"
  • I've had enough of this concept, too.

GROOT #1 (OF 4)

Story: Dan Abnett | Art: Damian Couceiro | Cover: Lee Garbett | Variants: Peach Momoko, Pete Woods, Benjamin Su, Skottie Young | 40 pages | Teen | $4.99

MONSTER, HERO, GUARDIAN ... GROOT!

See the thrilling mission that turned Groot into one of the galaxy’s greatest defenders in an all-new limited series!

The iconic hero will headline his very own solo series that will reveal his never-before-told origin and depict his first breathtaking battles! The series will feature the momentous return of writer Dan Abnett, known for redefining the Guardians characters and Marvel space as we know it in his acclaimed run of Guardians of the Galaxy and epics like "Annihilation" and "War of the Kings." Abnett will team up with rising star Damian Couceiro, known for his work on Ghost Rider: Return of Vengeance and X-Force, to take readers back to Planet X to explore Groot’s early days and uncover the truth about his home and species. Groot’s thrilling journey across the galaxy will see him cross paths with the original Captain Marvel and introduce the distant ancestor of a fellow Guardian.

The series will hit stands just in time for the next era of GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY written by Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly and drawn by Kev Walker! Announced last week, the all-new GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY ongoing series will kick off after a mysterious threat, known as GROOTFALL, sends the intergalactic heroes to never-before-seen reaches of the Marvel cosmos! While details about Grootfall have yet to be explained, fans can be assured that it’ll strike at the very heart of the Guardians and usher in a tragic fate for everyone’s favorite tree-like alien. 2023 is shaping up to be a defining year for Groot and both series will complement eachother in surprising ways!

Before he was a Guardian of the Galaxy … before the Grootfall … young Groot lived a life of tranquility on his serene home world. But when monstrous invaders attack his planet, Groot must accept his heroic destiny! But will this destiny lead him to come to blows with a young Kree soldier by the name of Mar-Vell?

"I am Groot! No, that's not right. ... I am delighted to be back WITH Groot for this series that will explore his early life and adventures, reveal some secrets of his home and his people, introduce some fantastic new characters, reveal a couple of big secrets ... and also guest star some VERY unexpected Marvel characters,” Abnett promises. “So it's back to the future for a blast from the past. ... No, that's not right either. ... If you like Marvel Cosmic, you're going to LOVE this."

“I'm thrilled to be working along with Dan on this origin story of Groot!” Couceiro added. “Groot is a super fun character to work with, he’s cute but also brave and a warrior so there is a lot to play with, and Dan came up with a crazy epic story full of action and fun that I think readers will enjoy a lot!”

• I never thought I'd be nostalgic for that green-and-white Captain Marvel uniform. Yet here I am.

IMMORTAL X-MEN #11

JOE FIXIT #5

MAGIC THE GATHERING VOL 4 HC

MIGHTY MMW AVENGERS AMONG US WALKS A GOLIATH VOL 3 TP

MOON KNIGHT #23

SAMURAI SONJA TP

SCARLET WITCH #5

SPIDER-GWEN: GHOST-SPIDER MODERN ERA EPIC COLL TP

SPIDER-MAN #8

SPIDER-MAN 2099: DARK GENESIS #1 (OF 5)

Story: Steve Orlando | Art: Justin Mason | Cover: Nick Bradshaw | Variants: Ken Lashley, Rod Reis, Justin Mason | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

Last year, Marvel Comics celebrated the 30th anniversary of its first venture into the dystopian far-future of 2099 with SPIDER-MAN 2099: EXODUS, kicking off a new era of this iconic Marvel timeline with new heroes, fresh threats and thrilling insights into the twisted corporate-run society that fans know and love! And the wild new age of 2099 is just beginning! This May, Steve Orlando is back with SPIDER-MAN 2099: DARK GENESIS, a follow-up, five-issue limited series that will see Miguel O’Hara, aka Spider-Man 2099, forced to defend his broken world from an overwhelming new threat!

Joining Orlando this time will be artist Justin Mason, known for his recent eye-catching work in Spider-Punk. Together, they’ll shatter expectations with the most bombastic 2099 saga yet as Nueva York is wrapped in the deadly tendrils of a brand-new Carnage! Luckily, Spider-Man 2099 won’t face it alone as he assembles a team of 2099 heroes, including redefined fan-favorites like Punisher 2099 and Daredevil 2099 and a brand-new characters like Blade 2099! As society begins to crumble, Spider-Man 2099 will need all the help he can get — but does the public even want his help? Or do they all just want to watch this world burn? SPIDER-MAN 2099: DARK GENESIS will release on a weekly schedule, allowing readers to experience 2099 thrills each week in May!

“It's great to be back to 2099 — and not just build on EXODUS but also the past three incredible decades of pioneering, innovative cyberpunk work done in the world of 2099,” Orlando said. “When we last saw Spider-Man 2099, he was decimating the black card elite and upending social order to help the neighborhood. Help everyday people. But even he didn't expect how his actions would spark an outburst of vengeance and blood — with a monster at its head. I'm so excited to be back and to be working with Justin Mason! Together, we've got even more 2099 classics coming your way, along with new debuts, of course! Earth-2099 is set for Carnage like none it's ever seen.”

FROM THE SHADOW OF EXODUS … COMES THE DARK GENESIS! Check out all five covers now and be on the lookout for more news about SPIDER-MAN 2099: DARK GENESIS, including stunning character designs. 

• Ignoring this.

SPIDER-MAN LIFE STORY EXTRA TP

STAR WARS #34

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #33

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #31

STAR WARS: HIGH REPUBLIC — SEASON TWO VOL 1 BALANCE OF FORCE TP

STAR WARS: RETURN OF JEDI — LANDO #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Stephanie Phillips | Art: Alvaro Lopez | Cover: Ryan Brown | Variants: Ryan Brown, Lee Garbett, Rahzzah, Brian Stelfreeze, Tyler Kirkham | 40 pages | Teen | $4.99

LANDO AND CHEWIE ANTE UP TO SAVE THE GALAXY!

When Lando Calrissian and Chewbacca find themselves on a perilous mission to steal from Jabba himself, a dangerous figure from Lando’s past threatens their plans and their lives. Chewie finds that putting his trust in Calrissian is a gamble that just might pay off, as Lando calls on his skills as a smuggler to make it out alive. Part of a series of one-shots celebrating the 40th Anniversary of Return of the Jedi, this story by Stephanie Phillips (COSMIC GHOST RIDER, ROGUE & GAMBIT) and Álvaro López (CAPTAIN MARVEL) bring you a new, high-stakes adventure with some of Star Wars’ most beloved characters. 

Star Wars © Lucasfilm Ltd. & TM. All rights reserved. Used under authorization. Text and illustrations for Star Wars are © 2023 Lucasfilm Ltd.

STAR WARS: MANDALORIAN SEASON ONE PART TWO TP

STAR WARS YODA #7

THUNDERBOLTS VOL 3 OMNIBUS HC

VENOM BY AL EWING AND RAM V VOL 3: DARK WEB TP

WAKANDA TP

X-MEN: BEFORE THE FALL SONS OF X #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Si Spurrier | Art/Cover: Phil Noto | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

A BATTLE OF THE TITANS OF THE X-UNIVERSE!

A man of innumerable personalities and powers vs. the most powerful artificial intelligence in this universe: Legion vs. Nimrod! With Nightcrawler in Orchis’ clutches, David Haller and his allies will have to confront the mastermind who destroyed Warlock and nearly took Krakoa with him. But Nightcrawler is not himself ... and Legion’s allies aren’t all they seem to be either. Mutant monsters roam the Earth ... Banshee, broken once again, dreams of lost vengeance ... Mother Righteous, her role in SINS OF SINISTER unrevealed, takes another stab at universal control ... Si Spurrier and Phil Noto usher in new status quos for some of your favorite X-Men in this can’t-miss one-shot!

Mutantkind’s next evolution is on the horizon. FALL OF X will be an overarching storyline impacting every X-Men title and the Marvel Universe as we know it. FALL OF X represents a crucial chapter of the Krakoa era, which began in Jonathan Hickman’s seminal House of X and Powers of X. The current age of X-Men has been so revolutionary that the question on every fan’s mind has been, “Can Krakoa last forever?” FALL OF X will answer that question and many more but first, four key one-shots will set the stage for what’s to come. Starting in May, these BEFORE THE FALL titles will tie up long-simmering plotlines, reintroduce major players, and put all the pieces in place for the dramatic events of the third annual HELLFIRE GALA. In addition to being the official start of FALL OF X, this year’s HELLFIRE GALA will also reveal the outcome of this year’s X-Men Vote, which fans can participate in starting tomorrow.

• "Fall of X" tie-in. I think.

MORE COMICS

ALVAR MAYOR VOL 2 (OF 4): OMINOUS WIND HC

• I don’t know when the first volume came out (“The Legend of El Dorado”), but this is part of what is evidently a beloved Argentinian GN series.

AMAZING CAMEL TOE GN

Story/Art: Claire Duplan | Black Panel Press | Mature | $24.99

Constance, a modern young illustrator, takes revenge for the thousands of attacks suffered daily by women with a comic of her own, The Amazing Camel Toe, celebrating the adventures of an anti-macho vigilante in tight, panther leggings. A hero who battles against sexism, harassment, slut-shaming and unrealistic standards of beauty. A form of release that could materialize in a publishing deal for Constance. But in order for that to happen, the author, often full of doubt, must dare to assert herself more. Luckily, she's supported by her gang of girlfriends, her boyfriend, her favorite band and not to mention Camel Toe herself: Who says this comic book bombshell can't exist in real life?

• I have two sisters. I learned never to say this word. Now it's a title.
  • Here's a preview.

ANIMAL CASTLE VOL 2 #1

Story: Xavier Dorison | Art/Cover: Felix Delep | Ablaze | Mature | $3.99

The HIT series returns!

On the Farm all animals were equal. In the Castle some are more equal than others.

Animal Castle Vol. 2 picks up shortly after the events of Vol. 1, with Miss B trying to convince the animals not to give in to violence, in order to put an end to Silvio's reign ...

At the castle, the dictatorship continues. Thanks to the efforts of Miss B and her friends, the animals attempt to remobilize the pacifist movement of the Daisies. But Silvio the bull dictator is trying to keep them under his hoof to keep his power. Helped by his cruel canine militia, he decides to have the rebellious animals imprisoned in the dungeon. But Miss B and her friends will respond once again with trickery ... and solidarity!

• Is this, like, a sequel to Animal Farm? Do we need a sequel to Animal Farm? 
  • I do love that first cover, though, and the interior art looks good, too.
  • Here's a preview.

ART OF ARIEL OLIVETTI GN

ASTROBOTS #1 (OF 5)

Story: Simon Furman | Art: Hector Trunnec | Cover: Phillip Knott | Massive-Whatnot | $3.99

Simon Furman, writer of the original Transformers comic series and creator of Marvel's Death's Head, has teamed up with Heavy Metal artist Hector Trunnec to create an all-new Mecha-Masterwork based on the toyline designed by Aaron Thomas.

Pathfinders, Pioneers ... breaking new ground in the furthest reaches of the galaxy ... they are — ASTROBOTS. The clock is ticking for planet Earth and the race is on to find a new world capable of sustaining human life. New, sophisticated machine lifeforms called Astrobots are dispatched to scout far-flung worlds in the hope of crafting a new home. With food and raw materials running out and climate disasters escalating, the evacuation of the entire human population is the only slender hope remaining.

On Colony World 1, a catastrophic power struggle forges a new — all-Astrobot — society, and presiding over this nascent civilization is Atlas, an evolved mech with a futureproof plan. A plan that does not include humankind.

BANDITA DOMINICAN SUPERHERO GN

Story: Kayden Phoenix | Art: Ari Navarette, Fanny Arteaga, Daniell Black, Sandra Romero | Phoenix Studios | $14.99

Bandita is the Dominican gunslinger from New York. When Bandita hears about a Broadway theatre gang taking advantage of the talent, she tries out for them and lands a job as a custodian. There, she befriends Chyanne, the new lead singer, and learns all about the Cientificos' abusive ways. On opening night, Bandita faces off against the boss of the Cientificos, Luna Loca.

• Might be aimed at kids. Hard to tell.

BEREZINA VOL 3 (OF 3) GN

Story: Frederic Richaud | Cinebook | $16.95

The terrible Russian winter has engulfed the retreat, and Napoleon's Grande Armée is no more. Mercilessly harassed by the fierce Cossacks, a few thousand men only continue to trudge forward, weak, starving, emaciated, leaving a trail of frozen dead behind. And as Russian regular forces prepare to surround and trap them, the weather suddenly turns warmer, making rivers impassable. To escape, they will have to somehow cross a river whose name would soon become synonymous with tragedy: the Berezina.

• Ha! Napoleon fell victim to one of the classic blunders! The most famous is “Never get involved in a land war in Asia.” Only slightly less well-known is this: “Never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line.”

BLOOD OF THE VIRGIN HC

Story/Art: Sammy Harkham | Pantheon Books | $30.00

Set in and around 1971 in Los Angeles, Blood of the Virgin follows an immigrant film editor named Seymour who is desperate to make his own movies. Without money or clout, he has no choice but to spend his days slumming it for the worst and most exploitative production company in town. When Seymour is given the chance to make a film of his own, his unbending principles and relentless drive violently clash with an industry that rewards everything but these traits. As Seymour's blind ambition pushes the movie along, his home life grows increasingly fraught. Using the film's production as a means to spiral out into time and space, Harkham creates an epic novel that explores the intersection of parenthood, 20th-century America, sex, the immigrant experience, and the era of grindhouse movies. Like a kaleidoscope, Blood of the Virgin shifts and evolves with each frame, allowing the reader to zoom out and see that at its core, this book is about the making of a man.

BUFFY THE LAST VAMPIRE SLAYER: LOST SUMMER #1

Story: Casey Gilly | Art: Lauren Knight Cover: Mirka Andolfo | BOOM! Studios | &7.99

Spike is determined to keep the last copy of his embarrassing poetry from being discovered, sending Buffy and the Scooby Gang on a faux-supernatural goose chase to New Orleans to cover his tracks.

At an antiques fair, the group is fascinated by The Casquette Girls' clothes on display.

When Dawn utters a wish she most likely should have kept to herself, the gang gains a firsthand account of the sisters' identities ... beyond what they could have imagined.

Buffy, The Last Vampire Slayer writer Casey Gilly is joined by Golden Rage artist Lauren Knight, bringing fans a historically fun and frightful one-shot to sink their fangs into!

DJELIYA GN

Story/Art: Juni Ba | TKO Studios | $14.99

Juni Ba's debut graphic novel inspired by West African folklore, tells the remarkable tale of Prince Mansour and his royal storyteller Awa as they journey to reach the mysterious Wizard Soumaoro who guards a fearsome power that he once used to destroy the world.

On their journey they'll cross paths with friend and foe, from myth and legend alike, and revisit the traditions, tales and stories that gave birth to their people and nurture them still. But what dark secret lies at the heart of these stories, and what purpose do their tellers truly serve?

• As often stated, I enjoy folklore and mythology from other cultures.

FRANK FRAZETTA DEATH DEALER #12

• No Frazetta variant with this issue.

GEORGE’S RUN: A WRITER’S JOURNEY THROUGH TWILIGHT ZONE GN

Story/Art: Henry Chamberlain | Rutgers University Press | $24.95

George Clayton Johnson was an up-and-coming short story writer who broke into Hollywood in a big way when he co-wrote the screenplay for Ocean's Eleven. More legendary works followed, including Logan's Run and classic scripts for shows like The Twilight Zone and Star Trek. Late in life, Johnson befriended comics journalist and artist Henry Chamberlain, and the two had long chats about his amazing life and career. Now Chamberlain pays tribute to his late friend in the graphic novel George's Run, which brings Johnson's creative milieu to life in vividly illustrated color panels. The result feels less like reading a conventional biography and more like sitting in on an intimate conversation between friends as they recollect key moments in pop culture history.

• I'm not familiar with this guy, but apparently I should be.

GFT PRESENTS 2023 MAY THE 4TH COSPLAY PINUP SPECIAL

GODFELL #3

GRIMM SPACE P1 NOCHHIO #1

Story: Frank Martin | Art/Cover: Ramiro Borrallo | Scout | $4.99

After malfunctioning repeatedly aboard his old ship, P1-Nocchio was most grateful for being repaired and upgraded by a tinkerer named Petto. He was so grateful that P1-Nocchio dreamed of one day becoming a real boy to give Petto the son he always wanted. Unfortunately, the wide-eyed robot would soon learn that wishes made upon a star don't come true so easily.

• Do we need a sci-fi version of Pinocchio? No? Well, we're getting one anyway.

GULL YETTIN GN

Story/Art: Joe Kessler | New York Review of Books | $19.95

The life of an orphaned boy is shaped by the devotion of a fantastical Gull in this lovingly rendered, entirely wordless graphic novel by a contemporary comics innovator. Told in striking colors and loose but confident lines, the story begins when a young boy awakens late one night to find his home on fire. The boy is saved by a lanky, shapeshifting Gull (who may or may not be real). Orphaned by the fire, and now adrift in a boat piloted by the Gull, the boy faces an uncertain future, one that will be both helped and hindered by his new attendant. Without a word, Kessler builds a strange but recognizable world, using it to explore all the forms that grief, jealousy, longing, and love can take in our lives, and the compassion and cruelty that can dwell in a single heart. Filled with all the warmth and poignancy of a great folktale, The Gull Yettin proves that Kessler is pushing comics to new heights.

• This feels like it falls into a literary genre of some kind, but I don't know what.

IMPOSSIBLE PEOPLE GN

Story/Art: Julia Wertz | Black Dog & Leventhal | $30.00

In her keenly observed graphic memoir, celebrated cartoonist Julia Wertz chronicles her haphazard attempts at sobriety and the relentlessly challenging, surprisingly funny and occasionally absurd cycle of addiction and recovery. Opening at the culmination of a disastrous trip to Puerto Rico, Julia stands stupefied in the middle of the jungle beside a rental Jeep she's just crashed. From this moment, the story flashes back to the beginning of her five-year journey towards sobriety that includes group therapy sessions, relapses, an ill-fated relationship, terrible dates and an unceremonious eviction from her New York City apartment. Impossible People portrays the lesser-told but more common story of addiction: That the road to recovers is not always linear.

IRON MAIDEN: WHERE IS EDDIE? HC  $22.99

• Someone decided we needed puzzles inspired by the music of Iron Maiden.

LAMENTATION #1

Story: Cullen Bunn | Art: Hillary Jenkins, Simon Bowland | Cover: Maan House | Oni Press | Mature | $6.99

From the mind's eye of master storyteller Cullen Bunn (The Sixth Gun, Basilisk) and rising star Arjuna Susini (Made Men) comes a darkly glamorous tale of bone-splintering terror at the intersection of shadow and light ... dream and nightmare ... life and the grim specter of Death himself.

After weeks of grueling rehearsals, a new production is set to begin at the famed Requiem theatre: Razide's Lament, three acts of gothic horror set inside a haunted castle with a story that some say is more than mere fantasy. Under the stern rule of a dedicated but temperamental director, the script seems to be ever-changing, and, more mysterious still, our lead actress has found herself cast in the role of a lifetime without so much as an audition. Her grand debut is fast approaching —and, with it, a barrage of razors in the night that will terrorize audiences and actors alike. There is no exit, no escape and when the curtain finally rises, Razide himself will take center stage to cross the threshold into the unholy darkness that lies just beyond.

LONESOME VOL 3: TIES OF BLOOD  GN

MAPLE TERRACE #1 (OF 3)

Story/Art: Noah Van Sciver | Uncivilized Comics | $6.00

From a multiple-award-winning cartoonist, Noah Van Sciver comes the brand new three-part autobiographical comic series Maple Terrace. Hilarious and forlorn stories from the author's childhood, surrounded by '90s comics, cartoons, toys, deprivation and painful nostalgia. Noah was a regular contributor to MAD Magazine and has written and drawn numerous bestselling graphic novels including One Dirty Tree (Uncivilized), Fante Bukowski: Struggling Writer (Fantagraphics) and Joseph Smith and The Mormons (Abrams).

• One of the weird aspects of aging is watching people become nostalgic about childhoods that happened when I was in my 40s.
  • I could not possibly be less nostalgic about ‘90s comics, which I thought were, with a few exceptions, awful.

MMPR/TMNT II #5

MONOMYTH #1 (OF 6)

Story: David Hazan | Art/Cover: Cecillia Lo Valvo | Mad Cave Studios | $4.99

Magic is all but extinct. When the last ailing wizard casts a final desperate spell to summon the descendants of ancient bloodlines to a school for magic now in disrepair ... those chosen ones find a horror of the likes they've never experienced. They will have to confront the deepest parts of themselves, their tragic pasts, and defeat each other to survive the ordeal.

Monomyth is an all-new miniseries from the mind of David Hazan (Nottingham).

NORTHERN BLOOD #2 (OF 4)

PARKER GIRLS #7

• Heads up, Terry Moore fans!

PUNCHLINE #14

ROGUE STATE #3

RUE MORGUE MAGAZINE #212

SARA DELUXE HC

Story: Garth Ennis | Art/Cover: Steve Epting | TKO Studios | Mature | $49.99

In the second terrible winter of the siege of Leningrad, seven women snipers find themselves caught up in the struggle against the German invaders.

Their deadliest shot is Sara, whose inner demons may yet prove her undoing — but with the enemy to their front and the agents of the Soviet state lurking in the shadows, how long can any squad survive the terrifying maelstrom of war?

From bestselling writer Garth Ennis (Preacher, The Punisher, The Boys) and Steve Epting (Velvet, Captain America), this deluxe hardcover edition features a new die-cut cover, and an extensive back section filled with never-before-seen script excerpts, concept art, character designs and more.

• I didn’t get this when it first came out in TPB, despite it being a Garth Ennis-penned story about Soviet women combatants in WWII. (I remember “The Night Witches” with great fondness.) But a deluxe HC? OK, TKO, you got me.

SENTIENT DELUXE HC

• Here’s another TKO re-release in an upgraded format, this one written by Jeff Lemire. It's not a Garth Ennis WWII story, so I’m able to resist it.

SHELTER DIVISION TP

STAR TREK EXPLORER MAGAZINE #7

STAR WARS INSIDER #218

THE THREE GHOSTS OF TESLA HC

Story: Richard Marazano | Art: Guilhem | Statix Press (imprint of Titan Comics) | 152 pages | $29.99 

Science meets the supernatural in award-winning cartoonist Richard Marazano's graphic novel, when the eccentricities of infamous engineer and inventor, Nikola Tesla, are warped into a terrifying mystery during World War Two.

Amidst the chaos of World War Two, New York is a city of mistrust and melancholy. Rumors abound of German submarines landing on the east coast, mysterious appearances — and disappearances — on the banks of the East River, Thomas Edison's laboratories under supervision of the FBI, experiments of terrible secret weapons by the Japanese forces in the Pacific.

Yet Nikola Tesla, probably the only scientist whose originality and brilliant inventions are likely to provide a solution to the destructive war, is nowhere to be found!

One summer in 1942, young Travis moves with his mother to a furnished hotel in Manhattan. Little does he know that his enigmatic neighbor will take him on an adventure with terrible and shocking scientific ramifications.

• I can buy into weird stories inspired by Nikola Tesla a lot easer than I can weird stories inspired by the zodiac. Tesla was a genius, and genuinely strange.

TRIDENT OF AURELIA #4 (OF 4)

TWILIGHT MAN: ROD SERLING AND THE BIRTH OF TELEVISION HC

Story/Art: Koren Shadmi | Humanoids | $29.99

We recognize him as our sharply dressed and charming guide to The Twilight Zone, but the entertainment business Rod Serling got his start in saw him as something very different. This "angry young man" pushed the boundaries of television through the lens of science fiction stories that explored the nature of humanity while rejecting notions of war, censorship and racism. But the monsters he crafted for the screen were far from the only ones that inhabited Serling's life, from PTSD to the struggles of working in the entertainment industry.

• I’m very tempted by this, as I’m currently re-watching the original Twilight Zone. But that cover art isn’t very impressive.

VAN HELSING: FINDING NEVERLAND

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

•  

MORE KIDS/YOUNG ADULTS

• There are so many books for kids this week, I pulled them out into their own category. They were cluttering everything up!

ADVENTURES OF CARMEN COURAGEOUS #1

AKIM ALIU: DREAMER — GRAPHIC MEMOIR HC

11036618454?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: Greg Anderson Elysee | Art: Karen De la Vega | Scholastic Inc. | $24.99

Akim Aliu — also known as "Dreamer" — is a Ukrainian-Nigerian-Canadian professional hockey player whose career took him all around the world and who experienced systemic racism at every turn. Dreamer tells Akim's incredible story, from being the only Black child in his Ukrainian community, to his family struggling to make ends meet while living in Toronto, to confronting the racist violence he often experienced both on and off the ice. This is a gut-wrenching and riveting graphic novel memoir that reminds us to never stop dreaming, and is sure to inspire young readers everywhere.

• An interesting story (there are Black Ukrainians?) and probably an inspiring one.

ARCHIE MODERN CLASSICS MANIA TP

ARCHIE SHOWCASE JUMBO DIGEST #13: COMIC SHOP CHAOS

• The solicitation mentions superheroes, but not which ones.

B&V FRIENDS FOREVER: GAME ON ONE-SHOT

CAPTAIN AMERICA: GHOST ARMY HC

CLEMENTINE FOX AND THE GREAT ISLAND ADVENTURE

DISNEY'S NEVER GIRLS VOL 2: THE ART OF FRIENDSHIP GN

EVERY DAY GN

11036617501?profile=RESIZE_710xStory: David Levithan | Art: Dion MBD | Knopf Books for Young Readers | HC $24.99/TP $17.99

Every day a different body. Every day a different life. Every day in love with the same girl. There's never any warning about where it will be or who it will be.

A has made peace with that — even established guidelines by which to live: Never get too attached. Avoid being noticed. Do not interfere. It's all fine until the morning that A wakes up in the body of Justin and meets Justin's girlfriend, Rhiannon.

From that moment, the rules by which A has been living no longer apply. Because finally A has found someone they want to be with — day in, day out, day after day. But can Rhiannon love someone who is destined to change every day? For the first time on the page, A's epic story will be brought to life as a graphic novel with illustrations by Dion MBD.

Also, with the mounting number of book challenges and bans being seen nationwide, Levithan can speak to the issue from the point of view of both author and publisher. He is a long-time editor and publisher at Scholastic; he edited The Hunger Games books, Alex Gino’s Melissa (originally titled George), and many others. Levithan is used to have his own books challenged too — like his 2003 debut, Boy Meets Boy. Here's a clip of  Levithan discussing banned books on MSNBC’s Velshi on Jan. 28.

• For kids, but an interesting concept.

FAIREST OF ALL VILLAINS GN

FOUR EYES GN VOL 1 GN

I SURVIVED GREAT CHICAGO FIRE 1871 GN

JONNA AND UNPOSSIBLE MONSTERS VOL 3 TP

KATIE THE CATSITTER VOL 3: SECRETS & SIDEKICKS GN

LO AND BEHOLD GNf

THE PRINCESS AND THE GRILLED CHEESE SANDWICH GN

SCALES & SCOUNDRELS BOOK 1: WHERE DRAGONS WANDER

MORE MANGA

AKASHIC RECORDS BASTARD MAGICAL INSTRUCTOR VOL 16 GN

ARIFURETA COMMONPLACE TO STRONGEST ZERO VOL 8 GN

BLOOD ON THE TRACKS VOL 13 GN

BLUE BOX VOL 4 GN

CROSSPLAY LOVE OTAKU X PUNK VOL 4 GN

11036616085?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Tooru | Seven Seas | $13.99

In this LGBT+ high school romantic comedy, a nerd and a delinquent find themselves attracted to each other, but only when they're crossdressing at a maid cafe!

Shuumei has a problem: he's in love with Hana, a girl who works in a maid café. Unfortunately, he's too embarrassed to go in and talk to her ... until he puts on girl's clothes and transforms himself into Mei. What Shuumei doesn't realize is that Hana is actually Hanae, an otaku boy who's more comfortable with people when he's dressed as a girl! What's more, neither of them are aware that they both go to the same school. Appearances can be deceiving in this wacky cross-dressing love comedy!

• Imagine Marvel or DC trying to publish this!

DANCE IN THE VAMPIRE BUND VOL 8: AGE OF THE SCARLET ORDER GN

ELUSIVE SAMURAI VOL 6 GN

A HISTORY OF JAPAN IN MANGA GN

11036616454?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Kanaya Shunichiro, Zack Davisson | Tuttle Publishing | $18.99

A History of Japan in Manga tells the action-packed saga of Japan from its misty origins up to the present day. Epic battles, noble Samurai and duplicitous leaders are all portrayed in modern manga fashion! The lively stories in this book include: The Dawn of Japan: The Birth of Buddhism and the transition from hunters to agricultural societies of ancient times; The Genpei Wars: Savage battles between the Taira and Minamoto clans that led to the powerful warlord Minamoto no Yoritomo naming himself Japan's first Shogun; The Onin Wars: A decade-long struggle for domination of Japan in which thousands of Samurai fought and tragically lost their lives; The 47 Ronin: Loyal Samurai who vowed to avenge the death of their master, choosing honor over surrender and being forced to commit mass ritual suicide as a result; The Satsuma Rebellion: A dramatic last stand by Samurai loyal to the Shogun who revolted against the new Meiji government and its plans to finally modernize Japan; and many more!

• This will look great next to my SHOWA books.

I’M AN EVIL LORD OF AN INTERGALACTIC EMPIRE VOL 2 GN

I’M NOT MEAT, GET YOUR FILTHY PAWS OFF ME VOL 3 GN

IN SPECTRE VOL 17 GN

KING’S BEAST VOL 10 GN

KUBO WON’T LET ME BE INVISIBLE VOL 7 GN

LDK VOL 18 GN

LIFE LESSONS WITH URAMICHI ONIISAN VOL 4 GN

LOVELY MUCO VOL 1 GN

11036616290?profile=RESIZE_710xStory/Art: Takayuki Mizushina | Verical Comics | $16.95

Lovely Muco! is a story that depicts the lovely everyday life of Komatsu-san, a glassmith, and his pet dog Muco. Shiba breed Muco's wish is that Komatsu-san could become a dog!

• What a good boy!

MISS KOBAYASHI'S DRAGON MAID VOL 2: FAFNIR THE RECLUSE GN

MUSHOKU TENSEI ROXY GETS SERIOUS VOL 9 GN

MY HERO ACADEMIA VOL 34 GN

MY SPECIAL ONE VOL 2 GN

MY STEPMOTHER & STEPSISTER AREN'T WICKED VOL 1 GN

NATSUME’S BOOK OF FRIENDS VOL 28 GN

NORAGAMI OMNIBUS VOL 5 GN

ONE PUNCH MAN VOL 25 GN

POKEMON: LEGENDARY NIGHTMARE

QUEEN’S QUALITY VOL 17 GN

RUN AWAY WITH ME GIRL VOL 3 GN

THE SAINT'S MAGIC POWER IS OMNIPOTENT VOL 2: THE OTHER SAINT GN

SEIREI GENSOUKI: SPIRIT CHRONICLES VOL 3 GN

SHAMAN KING FLOWERS VOL 1 GN

• A sequel to Shaman King.

SHOW-HA SHOTEN VOL 2 GN

SKIP BEAT VOL 48 GN

SWORD OF THE DEMON HUNTER KIJIN GENTOSHO VOL 2 GN

TITAN’S BRIDE VOL 3 GN

WELCOME TO DEMON SCHOOL IRUMA KUN VOL 1 GN

• "Sons of X" is one of the four "Before the Fall" one-shots (each by a different writer) that bridge the conclusion of "Sins of Sinister" towards the start of "Fall of X", which will apparently be in this year's Hellfire Gala one-shot.

Many new ongoings and limited series will be launched at the time (August IIRC), but several of the current X-books ongoings will be part of that storyline as well.

However, "Sons of X" is also an aftermath of sorts to the apparently cancelled "Legion of X" book starring Nightcrawler and Legion.  Legion of X was one of three books interrupted by the "Sins of Sinister" event and temporarily substituted by an alternate timeline version of itself (shades of Age of Apocalypse).  The other two books, "Immortal X-Men" and "X-Men Red" will resume, but Legion apparently will not.

Ever since Hickman took the helm of the X-books they have been in a curious position.  There are lots of interesting ideas and unusual situations floating about, but somehow most of them do not have the logical consequences that one would expect.  Many readers expect a more traditional status quo to be established by this "Fall of X" event later this year.

• Thanks, Luis! I read the House of X/Powers of X run with interest, although not always with enthusiasm. It was often, as you say, strange goings-on with strange results. But when Hickman planned for it to end, Marvel decided it was making too much money and extended the, uh, status quo (Krakoa). That put me off. "This is not the way," I though to myself in a Pedro Pascal voice. Anyway, maybe as a result, I kinda lost interest. I dropped all the X-books right before, I think, "Sins of Sinister." Or maybe whatever the storyline was before that.

• MURKY WORLD HC Story/Art: Richard Corben

I have enjoyed his work over the years. I have too much unread stuff already so I'll pass.

The writer Jan Strnad* recently collaborated on a film based on his and Corben's one-shot underground comic Fever Dreams. It is a combination of live and animation. The film is called MEAD (2022) and is available to watch on Amazon for free (Prime members) or for a small fee. They tried to come close to Corben's original artwork. It stars Robert Picardo (as the bad guy) and lesser-known live good actors, in addition to voice work from Patton Oswalt and Patrick Warburton. It was partially crowd-funded and debuted at the 2022 Cannes Film Festival. I really enjoyed it. Here's the trailer.

*He's an interesting,  regular guy and a fellow L.A. County resident. I am a Facebook friend of his and he occasionally comments on my FB posts.

• TWILIGHT MAN: ROD SERLING AND THE BIRTH OF TELEVISION HC

I have the softcover edition. When they say he had PTSD, they fail to mention that he was a paratrooper in the Pacific in WWII. We almost never had his stories. The interior art is minimalist but looks better IMO. The cover could have been better.

• "Have I ever seen Glenn Fabry do interior work? I'm not sure I have."

He did the interiors of Daredevil/Bullseye: The Target and Thor: Vikings (to name two).

21563092656.1.P3.GIF?profile=RESIZE_710x87095449960.1.P3.GIF?profile=RESIZE_710x

JOKER: THE MAN WHO STOPPED LAUGHING

JEFF OF EARTH-J: THE MAN WHO STOPPED READING DERIVATIVE COMIC BOOKS 

"Why do they need the second "h" in the title? I keep reading it as haun-THAWL-a-gee"

Perhaps they should add an additional "t": Haunt-thology.

"The zodiac is just silly."

Someone once wrote to Marilyn Vos Savant and asked her opinion on astrology. She replied: "Opinion?! It's damaging to our intellectual abilities to believe too many things are matters of opinion, and this is one of them. But if you insist, my opinion is that astrology is a lot of nonsense. It's also my opinion that 1 + 1 = 2." I liked that answer so much I clipped it.

• I have enjoyed his work over the years. I have too much unread stuff already so I'll pass.

This is one reason I considered not getting it. I have so much to read already. But it has occurred to me that I hadn't read the stuff in my to-read pile before I bought it, and it's only ownership that makes me feel guilty and anxious for not reading it.* I have decided instead to focus my purchases on what I want on my bookshelf, not if there's room for it, or even if I have time to read it (before retirement). And to focus my reading on what I want to read, not necessarily reading books in the random order in which they float to the top. So the only question in my mind is whether the Corben material is something I want to have, not something I feel obliged to have. I'm on the fence about that.

* In line with this new philosophy, for example, is something I just took out of the to-read pile: A collection of Roy Rogers comics from, I think, Dark Horse. I started to read it years ago, but it was awful. I put it back in the to-read pile, figuring I'd read it later when I had nothing better to do. But that time will never come -- I will always have something better to do (and to read). So why finish it? It's terrible and not worth the time, and I lived decades without knowing Roy Rogers Comics even existed. I think I can go on with my life now knowing Roy Rogers Comics existed, but without feeling any urgency to read them. I am resolved to simply put books like that in a box in the Cave, to eventually sell/trade them.

That epiphany may not sound like much to you normal, mentally healthy people, but it's a breakthrough for me.

He's an interesting,  regular guy and a fellow L.A. County resident. I am a Facebook friend of his and he occasionally comments on my FB posts.

I'm glad to hear it. I remember reading his Amazing Spider-Man, Sword of the Atom and Dalgoda fondly. I think I even have some Retief! around here somewhere.

The interior art is minimalist but looks better IMO. The cover could have been better.

Ooh, now you're making me want to get it. As a general thing, the more I've learned about Rod Serling over the years, the more impressed I am. I wouldn't mind learning more.

He did the interiors of Daredevil/Bullseye: The Target and Thor: Vikings (to name two).

And, by golly, I've got them both. And they're good. I don't know why they didn't stick in my head better. Maybe because they were sort-of one-offs.(Thor: Vikings was five issues, but you know what I mean.)

JEFF OF EARTH-J: THE MAN WHO STOPPED READING DERIVATIVE COMIC BOOKS 

Bwah-ha-ha!

Perhaps they should add an additional "t": Haunt-thology.

My issue is the dipthong. Yes, it exists in anthology. But usually when someone creates a neologism or portmanteau with "anthology," they just use the "ology" part. So, Haunt-ology seems the natural path. It clearly says Haunt+anthology to me. Haun-thology keeps "anthology"  at the expense of "haunt," which is the primary word, plus it's harder to say. 

Sorry. I've been a copy editor since the '80s. It does things to you.

Someone once wrote to Marilyn Vos Savant and asked her opinion on astrology. She replied: "Opinion?! It's damaging to our intellectual abilities to believe too many things are matters of opinion, and this is one of them. But if you insist, my opinion is that astrology is a lot of nonsense. It's also my opinion that 1 + 1 = 2." I liked that answer so much I clipped it.

Good for Marilyn! As for me, I've officially reached Crotchedy Old Man stage, where I no longer nod politely when people say stupid stuff. And the zodiac is stupid. 

What did the stars look like when the constellations were invented and named, beginning in the Bronze Age? Not quite the same as they do now, which is why some constellations are kind of a stretch. What will they look like thousands of years from now? Most will be gone or unrecognizable. What will the sky look like after the red giant Aldebaran in Taurus goes nova? Betelgeuse in Orion? The zodiac is temporary, not eternal.

What do the zodiac constellations look like from any other angle than standing on Earth look at the plane of the ecliptic? Answer: A random bunch of stars. (Which is what they look like to me, anyway.) The zodiac is situational, not objective.

There are only 365 potential birth dates (not counting Feb. 29), and 7.5 billion people on the planet. Which means, on average, everyone shares their birth date with 20 million other people. How many of those 20 million on a given date have similar personalities? Not many, I imagine, especially those born in a different culture. If I ever met a Chinese man born the same date as me, I would not expect him to act like me at all.

Why are all the people born on a given date assigned the same zodiac sign, when those born at night would be facing away from that sign?  

What has more to do with your personality than the zodiac? Everything. Birth culture, gender (and local gender norms), birth order, genetics, you name it. Nature and nurture -- not invisible influence from space animals that were simply made up thousands of years ago. ("Zodiac" is Greek for "circle of animals.")

And here's a kicker: At one newspaper I worked for, we had a few years' worth of astrology columns saved up that we would recycle -- we never bought new ones. Every few years we would take oldest astrology columns and just rotate the 12 blurbs and re-run them. A bit about Leo in one year might show up as Libra in another. Nobody noticed.

2cad38262f3b95e479da8fabd2dc075f.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710xI will say this, though: The mythology around the zodiac is cool, especially the visuals, and I can see why comic book writers like to use it.

I used to have a ceiling light cover in my bedroom that had the animals of the zodiac, plus their symbols:

Man, that is impressive looking! I bet you could turn lead into gold if you just knew what they meant!

• Captain Comics said:

What do the zodiac constellations look like from any other angle than standing on Earth look at the plane of the ecliptic? Answer: A random bunch of stars. (Which is what they look like to me, anyway.)

Being a suburbs boy, the lights always have made it hard to see more than the brightest stars. When I found myself in a very rural area in Vietnam (54 years ago!), the sky was practically white with stars. On our 2015 road trip from California to Oklahoma, at one point we were far enough from city lights that we were able to see something even approaching what I saw in Vietnam.

Why are all the people born on a given date assigned the same zodiac sign, when those born at night would be facing away from that sign?  

How about this? I was born at 4:00 AM near London England on a day in June that I call my birthday. When I was born in England it was the day before in California, where I've lived since I was four. Which one should be my birthday?

• "I don't know why they didn't stick in my head better."

Could be because both series came out at least 20 years ago.

"The mythology around the zodiac is cool... and I can see why comic book writers like to use it."

My favorite zodiacal character is Starlord.

54501981832.4.gif?profile=RESIZE_710x

Steve Englehart based the character on his then-current interest in astrology. His intention was to set an "action story on Mercury, a love story on Venus, a war story on Mars, and so on out to the edge of the solar system, and then beyond," but he left Marvel after writing the first story. Claremont and Byrne abandoned the zodiac angle, cleaned up the characters rough edges and the rest is history. Now Starlord is featured in a series of films.

"What do the zodiac constellations look like from any other angle than standing on Earth look at the plane of the ecliptic?"

"When Copernicus and Galileo discovered that the planets orbit the Sun rather than the Earth, and Newton discovered the laws that govern their motion, astrology became extremely implausible. Why should the positions of other planets against the background sky as seen from Earth have any correlations with the macromolecules on a minor planet that call themselves intelligent life?" -- Stephen Hawking, The Universe in a Nutshell, Chapter 4: "Predicting the Future"

"At one newspaper I worked for, we had a few years' worth of astrology columns saved up that we would recycle -- we never bought new ones."

Here is an excerpt from one of my favorite books, Illusions - The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach:

I noticed something strange about the book. "The pages don't have numbers on them, Don."

"No," he said. "You just open it and whatever you want most is there."

"A magic book!"

"No. You can do it with any book. You can do it with an old newspaper, if you read carefully enough. Haven'y you done that, hold some problem in your mind, then open any book handy and see what it tells you?"

"No."

"Well, try it sometime."

That, I believe, is the reason horoscopes seem to work for some people... or why some people think they work. To that end, when I come across a horoscope in the newspaper, I read any one at random and see if I can fit it to my life. (Usually I can.) Astrologers routinely make there forecasts so vague they can apply to any situation. statements such as "Personal relations may become intense" or "You will have a financially rewarding opportunity" are difficult to prove wrong. It is for that reason I have a copy of The Complete Prophecies of Nostradamus on my shelf and refer to it every once in a while. It is quite entertaining in that respect. 

"Good for Marilyn!"

Here's another one I found online:

Theo Noirel-Goldberg of Paris, France, writes:

Marilyn: I've just turned 20 and would love to get an answer from you as a present. Do you believe that it is possible to study astrology to learn about human relationships and interactions? Or do you believe that astrology is nonsense?

Marilyn responds:

You're young, so I understand why you're wondering about this subject. Plus, maybe you haven't studied much science at school. (Science courses really help you learn how the world works.) Anyway, the following is a fact, not just a belief: Astrology is complete fiction. Please, please turn away from it now before it pollutes your understanding of yourself and others. If you do that, you'll be getting a really important present. Happy birthday!

• I just wanted to pop in real quick and also recommend the Twilight Man graphic novel about Rob Serling. I read it when it first came out, and I thought it was great. Then again the only thing I knew about him before I read the book was that he hosted The Twilight Zone, so I learned a lot though this book.

This reply was deleted.