Comics Guide: Sept. 19-25, 2022

BOOM!

ALL NEW FIREFLY #8

BRZRKR (BERZERKER) #10

BRZRKR (BERZERKER) VOL 2 TP

ORCS THE CURSE #3

STUFF OF NIGHTMARES #1

Story: R. L. Stine | Art: A.L. Kaplan | Cover: Francesco Francavilla | $4.99

R.L Stine is back-but not for the faint of heart-with a chilling take on an iconic character, perfect for fans of Fear Street and EC Comics horror titles!

In the first of Stine's reanimated reimaginings, you're familiar with the classic tale of a mad scientist hell-bent on creating life, but what these two demented brothers have created is something else entirely!

Horror lovers won't want to miss the legendary author's return to comics in his first creator-owned single issue series, with art by A.L. Kaplan (Maw, Jim Henson's The Storyteller).

Fans also won't want to miss celebrating this milestone event with a Björn Barends variant signed by R.L. Stine and not one but two extra spooky glow in the dark covers by Francesco Francavilla and original Goosebumps cover artist Tim Jacobus!

• I will never understand comics ratings. There's a guy getting disemboweled right there on the cover, but it's not marked "Mature." But if a boob had been on there, the book would probably be in a brown paper bag and sold from behind the counter.
  • Here's a preview.

WYND THRONE IN SKY #2

DARK HORSE COMICS

DAISY HC

FRANKENSTEIN: NEW WORLD #2 (OF 4)

GRENDEL OMNIBUS (2ND ED) VOL 2: LEGACY TP

LONESOME HUNTERS #4

PARASOMNIA: DREAMING GOD #2

PEARL III #5

SHAOLIN COWBOY: CRUEL TO BE KIN #5

SHINJUKU HC (2ND ED) $49.99

Dark Horse Books presents the second edition of Shinjuku. The horror-action book is written by film and video director Christopher “mink” Morrison, with art by Yoshitaka Amano (Final Fantasy, Vampire Hunter D), and has previously been adapted to animation by Academy Award-nominated Robert Valley. This new edition will be published in an oversized, hardcover art book format and will include a soft lamination cover.

Former special forces soldier, now elite Scout bounty hunter, Daniel Legend is leaving the mean streets of Los Angeles for the meaner streets of Shinjuku. In the real world, Tokyo’s most cosmopolitan ward is a center of metropolitan power, the crossroads of traffic and a den of vice. But in Shinjuku, Daniel Legend, in search of his missing sister Angela, discovers Shinjuku the unreal city, a nexus of realities riddled with underground pathways. In this realm where lowlife crooks and subterranean monsters alike spill blood in the shadows, three rival yakuza leaders hold control over every earthly crime in a tense triad of greed. Yet for one mobster lord, Shi, no amount of worldly gain is enough to satisfy him. He plans an unholy scheme to seize control over all existence, merging mysticism with the visionary quantum research that was the legacy of Daniel and Angela’s father!

The Shinjuku Second Edition HC will retail for $49.99.

Praise for Shinjuku:

“Artist Yoshitaka Amano and writer Christopher "mink" Morrison create a lush futuristic world in Shinjuku.” — CBR.com

“Writer and director Christopher "mink" Morrison (Dust) and legendary artist Yoshitaka Amano (Final Fantasy, Vampire Hunter D) join forces to craft an unforgettable tale of destiny, danger, and hard-boiled sorcery.” — ComicVine

STAR WARS: HYPERSPACE STORIES #2

YOUNG HELLBOY: ASSAULT ON CASTLE DEATH #2

DC COMICS

ACTION COMICS #1 FACSIMILE EDITION

BATMAN: NO MAN'S LAND OMNIBUS VOL. 2 HC

BATMAN: ONE BAD DAY — TWO-FACE #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Mariko Tamaki | Art/Cover: Javier Fernandez | $7.99

Two-Face has always been viewed as Batman's most tragic villain. If only Harvey Dent hadn't been scarred by acid, he could have continued his good work as D.A. in Gotham City and been Batman's greatest ally and friend ... right? Or has Batman extended Harvey Dent too much grace in his multiple attempts at reform? He'll question himself as Harvey Dent is free once more, scarred but seemingly free of Two-Face’s influence. But ... when it's revealed Harvey Dent's father has been threatened to be murdered on his 88th birthday, will Two-Face be able to resist joining the party? From the bestselling creative team of Mariko Tamaki (Detective Comics, Crush & Lobo) and Javier Fernandez (Nightwing, King Spawn)!

• I'm looking forward to reading these one-shots in collected form. Especially if they can make the likes of Two-Face and Penguin interesting. They did with Riddler, so I'm hopeful.

BATMAN/SUPERMAN: WORLD'S FINEST #7

BATMAN: THE KNIGHT #9

BLACK ADAM #4

BLACK ADAM: THE DARK AGE TP

BLUE BEETLE: JAIME REYES BOOK ONE

• Collects Blue Beetle #1-12.

CATWOMAN #47

DARK CRISIS: YOUNG JUSTICE #4 (OF 6)

DARK KNIGHTS OF STEEL VOL 1 HC

• Evidently, Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths is going to restore the entire multiverse (honestly, I thought they already had) and make reference to lots of Elseworlds, including this story. So Knights will be canon, of a sort.

DC VS. VAMPIRES: ALL-OUT WAR #3 (OF 6)

• I'd say "Boy, this vampire thing is going on forever," but the zombie thing (see below) has been going on even longer!

DCEASED: WAR OF THE UNDEAD GODS #2 (OF 8)

DUO #5

Story: Greg Pak | Art: Khoi Pham, Scott Hanna | Cover: Dike Ruan | $3.99

When bestowed with the enormous powers of a god...do as gods do! David and Kelly flout enemies and allies alike to reveal themselves to the public and heal the sick and suffering with their nanobot technology. But inside their shared body, David and Kelly are at war for control. With a new threat on the horizon so great that even the Immortals fear it, will the bickering lovers get it together in time to save the world?

• Latest Milestone book.

FABLES #155 (OF 162)

FLASH #786

HARLEY QUINN & THE GOTHAM CITY SIRENS OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC

• The complete 26-issue series and Catwoman #83, with an introduction by Paul Dini.

HARLEY QUINN 30TH ANNIVERSARY EDITION #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Paul Dini, Stephanie Phillips, Stjepan Sejic, Sam Humphries, Kami Garcia, Rob Williams, Mindy Lee, Terry Dodson, Cecil Castellucci, Rafael Scavone  | Art: Chad Hardin, Guillem March, Riley Rossmo, Stjepan Sejic, Erica Henderson, Jason Badower, Mico Suayan, John Timms, Terry Dodson, Rachel Dodson, Dan Hipp, Rafael Albuquerque | Covers: Amanda Conner, J. Scott Campbell, Stanley Artgerm Lau, Jerome Opena, Bruce Timm, Rachel & Terry Dodson, Lee Bermejo, Stjepan Sejic, Adam Hughes, Frank Cho | $9.99

You are cordially invited to an oversize extravaganza celebrating the Clown Princess of Crime's 30th birthday in this fantabulous special! That's right — Harley Quinn turns 30 in absolute style and has invited a squad of her old creative pals to join her with a killer lineup of amazing stories! And the reviews are in — it's guaranteed AWESOME.

Last chance, Quinn. Don't make me do this. — Amanda Waller

Wait...you're not going back to... — Red Tool

Sigh. — Poison Ivy

• I know $10 is a lot for a comic book, especially considering the prices most of us paid when we began collecting. (For me it was 12 cents.) But still, it's pretty amazing to me that we can get a comic book with the murderer's row of A-list talent above for ONLY $10. How do they pay everybody?

LOONEY TUNES #268

NIGHTWING #96

ROBIN VOL 2: I AM ROBIN TP

TITANS UNITED: BLOODPACT #1 (OF 6)

Story: Cavan Scott | Art: Lucas Meyer | Cover: Eddy Barrows | $3.99/$4.99

The Titans are back, united against a common foe...aren’t they? All seems lost when Tim Drake wakes, out of uniform and seemingly out of time. Surely he was just fighting alongside Nightwing, Superboy, Starfire, Beast Boy, and Donna Troy? But where is Raven and what links her to the Fearsome Five? A blood sacrifice is coming that will change the world forever.

WAR FOR THE EARTH-3 TP

• Collects War for Earth-3 #1-2, Suicide Squad #13, The Flash #780, and Teen Titans Academy #13. I remember when the two-parter came out, I though "How will they collect this?" Now I know.

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

DEJAH THORIS VS JOHN CARTER TP

DRACULINA #6

ELVIRA IN HORRORLAND #4

KISS: PHANTOM OBSESSION TP

LADY HEL #2

SAMURAI SONJA #4

VAMPIRELLA STRIKES #5

IDW PUBLISHING

CRASHING #1 (OF 5)

Story: Matthew Klein | Art: Morgan Beem | Covers: Morgan Beem, Jorge Corona, Liana Kangas | $3.99

Part Nurse Jackie and part The Boys, Crashing #1 will premiere in September and will be the third title released in IDW’s upcoming slate of original comics debuting throughout 2022 and beyond.

Less than 10 years into her rehabilitation, recovering addict Rose Osler is one of a handful of doctors in the United States who specialize in treating “Powered individuals,” human beings imbued with a range of incredible — and according to some, fundamentally dangerous — superhuman attributes. Amid a sudden, rising wave of violence and chaos apparently provoked by these Powered citizens, Rose struggles to balance the ghosts of her past with the mounting pressure of her professional responsibilities, all while fighting to hold her strained marriage together and avoid the lure of getting high.

Crashing is a story about sacrifice, heroism and self-care,” says Klein. “Over the pandemic, we saw such an increase in people needing help, falling into self-destructive behaviors, addiction, or alcoholism, it felt like there needed to be a story about a first responder who needs help but doesn't know how to ask for it. Heroes need help, too. Whether they wear capes or stethoscopes, the responsibility of saving someone’s life can be overwhelming. We’ve all seen an extraordinary number of heroes step up on the frontlines of the pandemic. I wanted to explore a story about an everyday hero who wants to save everybody at the expense of herself and how dangerous that kind of self-neglect can be.”

“One of the things that really excites me about this project is that all our characters — and especially Rose, our main character — are flawed,” says Beem. “They all have a lot of strength but also a lot of genuine weaknesses. They make mistakes, sometimes huge ones, but they keep going. They learn to forgive others, and especially themselves. I love that because it’s something that I feel all of us can relate to.”

“I don’t think there’s a better time for stories like Crashing than this very moment,” says editor Heather Antos. “What Matthew, Morgan, colorist Triona Farrell, and letterer Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou have managed to capture in 22-page chapters is nothing short of an extraordinary display of humanity that will help a lot of people hopefully connect, grow, and heal. One of the greatest powers we all possess is the ability to reach out and connect with one another, but sometimes finding the strength to do so gets lost along the way. Joining Rose on her journey of self-growth while caught between powers quite beyond her has been a joy.”

• Sounds a lot like The Ward over at Dark Horse. I'll try to read both for a comparison.

DOUGHNUTS AND DOOM GN

DRAGON PUNCHER BOOK 3: DRAGON PUNCHER PUNCHES BACK HC

• IDW sent me a review PDF, but the book is for ages 4-8. I feel guilty, but I don't really want to read it.

GI JOE A REAL AMERICAN HERO #298

ORDER OF THE NIGHT JAY BOOK 1: FOREST BECKONS GN

• Ditto this one, about anthromorphic animal kids at summer camp where they learn life lessons about friendship and whatnot. It's written for ages 8-12. I don't think I'd have wanted to read this when I was the right age.

TRANSFORMERS: BEST OF STARSCREAM ONE-SHOT

USAGI YOJIMBO #31

IMAGE COMICS

20TH CENTURY MEN #2 (OF 6)

ARROWSMITH VOL 2: BEHIND ENEMY LINES TP

BEWARE THE EYE OF ODIN #4 (OF 4)

CREEPSHOW #1 (OF 5)

Story/Art: Various | Covers: Chris Burnham, Declan Shalvey, Vance Kelly | Mature | $3.99

Today Skybound announced Creepshow, a new star-studded five-issue comic book anthology based on the hit Shudder TV series and advancing the worldwide phenomenon that began with George A. Romero and Stephen King’s iconic 1982 film and has continued with the Greg Nicotero-helmed genre anthology series entering its fourth season on Shudder and produced by Cartel Entertainment. The new comic book was brokered by Striker Entertainment, a global licensing IP accelerator.

What’s that lurking in the dark? Who’s that walking up behind you? And why does it sound like death is slowly creeping this way? Why, it’s Creepshow! 

Each issue of the five-part anthology will feature different creative teams from the worlds of comics, film, television and beyond. Every uniquely horrifying standalone story is guaranteed to SCARE YOU TO DEATH. 

“Creepshow has consistently been one of the best things in horror for the last 40 years, and for Skybound to be able to carry on such a rich horror tradition is an absolute thrill,” said Jon Moisan, Editor at Skybound. “We knew a franchise this prolific would require the best talent in the industry, so we assembled a collection of creators that will do the Creepshow name proud. The stories they have planned are going to scare the absolute hell out of people.”’ 

The superstar creative roster behind Creepshow includes Chris Burnham (Die!Die!Die!), Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series), Steve Langford (Creepshow TV series), Josh Malerman (Creepshow TV series, Bird Box), David & Maria Lapham (Stray Bullets), Steve Foxe (Razorblades: The Horror Magazine), John McCrea (Hitman), and Kelley Jones (Batman, The Sandman), with many more to be announced. Brian Witten is overseeing on behalf of Nictorero’s Monster Agency Productions. 

"Growing up a fan of horror comics and Famous Monsters, I will never forget the thrill of seeing a new issue hit the stands ... thumbing through the pages with the anticipation of diving into a dark twisted and outrageous world filled with ghouls, zombies and the classic comeuppance," said Greg Nicotero, director, writer and executive producer of the Creepshow TV Series. “I’m very proud to see Creepshow find its rightful place on comic book shelves everywhere!” 

“Skybound is simply the best in class when it comes to marrying beloved content with established and burgeoning talent,” states Russell Binder, President of Striker Entertainment. “Stan Spry, Greg and all of the producers including myself are ecstatic to have Skybound come on board to provide another engaging experience to fans of the Creepshow series.”

All-star writer/artist Chris Burnham (Die! Die! Die!) kicks off the debut issue with a terrifying tale of trick or treaters who are taught what happens when you mess with the wrong house. 

“I first saw Creepshow in third or fourth grade ... right around the time I had the initial germ of the idea for the story in this issue!” said Chris Burnham. “I was absolutely terrified to take more than one candy bar from the TAKE ONE bowl. What if the owner of the house was hiding in wait? And what would they do if they caught me?!? I’ve chewed these questions over for thirty years ... and this story is the definitive answer!”

Then, legendary writers Paul Dini (Batman: The Animated Series) and Stephen Langford (Creepshow TV series) team up with artist John McCrea (Hitman) to petrify readers with the party antics of Shingo, the birthday clown with an appetite for more than cake! 

“Parents might fool themselves into believing that anything big, cute and silly is good for kids, but little ones recognize a monster when they see one. Stephen Langford and I put ourselves back into that childlike mindset when we dreamed up Shingo,” said Paul Dini. “In the world of Creepshow, kiddie birthdays are rarely fun, parents often have worse outbursts than their kids, and that strangely grinning party character is not as friendly as it seems.”

"Writing for Creepshow was mind-blowing but having co-written a Creepshow comic goes beyond any of my expectations as a writer,” said Stephen Langford. “It’s hard to believe that Paul and I created the character Shingo and he’s finally come to life!”

“Working on the Creepshow book was thrill enough, but to be teamed up with Stephen and Paul was the gory icing on the creepy cake,” said John McCrea. “And the character Shingo is such freaky fun to draw, it’s a dreamscream!”

• They should do a a Creepshow/Afterschool crossover!

DEADLIEST BOUQUET #2 (OF 5)

GOOD ASIAN VOL 1 TP

GUNSLINGER SPAWN #12

ICE CREAM MAN #32

LADY MECHANIKA VOL 7 TP

MANIFEST DESTINY #47

NITA HAWES' NIGHTMARE BLOG #8

PUBLIC DOMAIN #4

RADIANT BLACK #18

ROGUES GALLERY #3

SHIRTLESS BEAR-FIGHTER 2 #2 (OF 7)

SPAWN OMEGA TP

VANISH #1

Covers: Ryan Stegman, Daniel Warren Johnson, Ed McGuinness, Greg Capullo

From the all-star creative team — Donny Cates (God Country, Hulk, Thor), Ryan Stegman (Venom, King in Black), JP Mayer (Absolute Carnage, Fantastic Four), Sonia Oback (Amazing Spider-Man: Renew Your Vows, Han Solo), and John J. Hill (Crossover, Harley Quinn) — comes an all-new series titled Vanish. This brutal-as-hell tale of magical worlds, gifted youth, evil sorcerers, superheroes, war, blood, guts and death is set to launch in print from Image Comics this September, and digitally by way of the KLC Press Substack newsletter.

"Sick and tired of all these 'young adult' stories about magic, and wizards, and destiny and love and blah blah blah? Well, good news! We are too!" said Cates in an exclusive announcement of the series at ComicBook.com. "So we made Vanish to answer the one question we've all been asking; What if magic was .... metal? This is a project that Ryan and I have been secretly building and working on quietly in the background for years now, and we cannot wait to unleash it on you. And the fun part for us is, well, pay attention closely .... like the reveal of any great magic trick, you'll never see this one coming..."

In Vanish, Oliver Harrison was a mythical hero who slayed the greatest threat to his realm before even hitting puberty. But that was then.

As an adult, Oliver leads an average cookie-cutter suburban life — aside from the fact that he's mentally unstable, massively paranoid, smokes like a chimney and gets blackout drunk every night to hide from his horrific nightmares. Will the arrival of a superhero team called the Prestige prove the madness isn’t all in Oliver’s head? And what about all the epic fantasy crap from his childhood?

Stegman added: "Vanish is the most exciting thing I've drawn. Doing an Image comic has always been my ultimate goal as a creator and we've pulled out all the stops to make this special. Donny's and my goal with this project is to create something that we could never do at Marvel and, well. ... We've succeeded at that I assure you."

"Somehow Donny and Ryan have been able to meld five different genres into this vast Vanish world they’ve created and it works wonderfully. There’s something in it for everyone … superheroics, fantasy elements, dark brooding aspects, beatdowns and gore. And most of all, it’s FUN," said Hill. "Fans of Venom, God Country, Thor and Crossover will eat it up. The entire creative team is working magic on every page."

• "Sick and tired of all these 'young adult' stories about magic, and wizards, and destiny and love and blah blah blah?"
  • YES! (Did I say that a little too loudly?)

WALKING DEAD DLX #47

MARVEL COMICS

AVENGERS #60

• Judgment Day

AVENGERS FOREVER #9

A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #5 (OF 6)

Written By Kieron Gillen

Art By Valerio Schiti

Colors By Martre Gracia

Cover By Mark Brooks

Judgment Day is almost upon us! The next Marvel Comics crossover epic, A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY will see the Avengers, the X-Men, the Eternals, and more will face judgment on a cosmic scale with the very fate of the Marvel Universe hanging in the balance. Expertly crafted by comics mastermind Kieron Gillen and acclaimed artist Valerio Schiti, the saga kicks off when the Eternals target mutantkind and the Avengers find themselves struggling to prevent an apocalyptic war between two of the strongest factions on the planet. As the event continues, the Celestial known as the PROGENITOR will rise and various heroes and villains will defend their past actions in order to save Earth from a fatal judgment. Unfortunately, from the looks of the cover of A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #5, it may be too late…

CARNAGE #6

Story: Ram V | Art: Roge Antonio | Cover: Kendrick “Kunkka” Lim

Carnage, one of Marvel’s most terrifying villains, is proving to be deadlier than ever in his brand-new ongoing series by writer Ram V. and artists Francesco Manna and Rogê Antônio. Adrift and alone, the Carnage symbiote is free and ready to give in to his most sinister  cravings as he unleashes his chaos on the Marvel Universe in this visceral new era. The series enters its second arc this August and fans will see just how big Carnage’s ambitions are as he heads to the realm of the Dark Elves for an enticing prize — the throne of Malekith!

The Carnage symbiote has a bloodlust unlike any other organism in the Marvel Universe. Now, its ruthless and aggressive efforts to quench that bloodlust will reach new and never before seen heights. But what in the Hel is Carnage up to, and what will it do to anyone who gets in its way?!

• Marvel sent me this press release. Nothing is  ever going to get me interested in Carnage, but I'm sharing just the same.
  • Here's a preview.

EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #4 (OF 5)

Story: Dan Slott, Jordan Blum, David Hein, & Tee Franklin | Art: Ty Templeton, Michael Shelfer, Luciano Vecchio, & Jethro Morales | Covers: Josemaria Casanovas, Helen Chen

Fans can’t get enough of EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE! In just two issues, readers have met breakout new Spider-Heroes like Spider-Rex, the new Spider-UK and Night-Spider, as well as seen what the future holds for fan-favorite heroes like for Araña, Spider-Man Noir and more. Throughout this saga, fans have also witnessed the rise of a dark new threat to the Spider-Verse, one that will lead directly into Dan Slott’s next Spidey epic, beginning in October’s SPIDER-MAN #1. This transformation of the Spider-Verse continues in the coming weeks with more thrilling additions to the Spider-Verse family, new status quos for existing Spider-Heroes, and more clues to what will bring about the END OF THE SPIDER-VERSE!

Here's what fans can expect from the fourth issue in this exciting saga, EDGE OF SPIDER-VERSE #4, on sale Sept. 21:

Spider-Ham returns to do what he does best — fight crime in the most unpredictable and entertaining way possible! And who’s his new friend? Find out in this thrilling tale by M.O.D.O.K. series co-creator Jordan Blum and artist Michael Shelfer.

A Spider-Hero unlike any other makes her dazzling debut! Meet Spinstress, a Spider-Princess who sings, talks to spiders and kicks villainous butt throughout her kingdom! David Hein, writer of the Broadway smash hit Come From Away, brings her to life alongside amazing artist Luciano Vecchio. Check out her stunning design by Helen Chen, the artist and production designer known for her work with Walt Disney Animation Studios on films like Raya and the Last Dragon, Wreck-It Ralph, and Big Hero 6!

More than just an awesome vehicle, Spider-Mobile is a super hero all on its own! See this iconic car’s first solo adventure in a story by Spider-Verse architect Dan Slott and Eisner Award winning artist Ty Templeton!

The amazing Sun-Spider who debuted in 2020's SPIDER-VERSE miniseries as a winner of Marvel’s Spidersona contest gets her own story written by Bingo Love creator Tee Franklin in her Marvel Comics debut alongside fellow rising star Jethro Morales!

• This is becoming Crisis of Infinite Spider-Beings!
  • Here's a preview.

FANTASTIC FOUR #47

• Judgment Day.

IRON CAT #4 (OF 5)

JANE FOSTER MIGHTY THOR #4 (OF 5)

LEGION OF X #5

MECH STRIKE MONSTER HUNTERS #4 (OF 5)

MOON KNIGHT EPIC COLLECTION: BUTCHER'S MOON TP

NEW MUTANTS #30

Story: Vita Ayala & Alyssa Wong | Art: Alex Lins, Jason Loo, Emma Kubert & More | Covers: Rafael De Latorre, Bob McLeod, Rob Liefeld

In 1982, X-Men visionary Chris Claremont and legendary comic book artist Bob McLeod expanded the mutant mythos with the first of many X-Men spinoff books: NEW MUTANTS. Introducing the next generation of mutantkind with hard-hitting, thrilling coming-of-age adventures, the series represented a profound shift for the franchise and is celebrated for its diverse and layered cast of characters and its influential, and at times experimental, storytelling. Over the last 40 years, NEW MUTANTS has continued to be a timeless yet contemporary voice for the marginalized youth who must grow up in a harsh, cruel world. This September, Marvel Comics is proud to honor the anniversary of this groundbreaking series with a supersized issue! Crafted by current series writer Vita Ayala, NEW MUTANTS #30 will be a mosaic love letter dedicated to the mutant youngsters who have become the beacon and hope of a new generation of X-Men. Commemorating classic and new characters alike, this collection of shorts featuring artwork by talents such as Alex Lins, Jason Loo, Emma Kubert, and more, celebrates four decades’ worth of the joys and tribulations of being young, brave and gifted in the world of X.

In honor of the book’s anniversary issue, McLeod has returned to his creation, showcasing the team’s original roster on a new variant cover.

“So many fans have come up to me at conventions and told me what a huge impact the New Mutants had on them in their teen years, and how relatable they were in all of their diversity. Native Americans, African Americans, Kentuckians, all finally seeing themselves represented in the comics. It's been very humbling,” McCleod said of the team’s impact. “Our New Mutants have gone through so many changes over the decades that I often didn't recognize them as the same characters we created. So I was very pleased to get the chance to come full circle and do a variant cover homage to their very first published appearance on the cover of AMAZING HEROES #16. I hope fans continue to enjoy them for another 40 years!”

The issue will also feature a fourth-wall-breaking short by special guest writer Alyssa Wong, starring one of the most popular characters to debut in the series — Deadpool!

“What an honor to come aboard NEW MUTANTS for its 40th anniversary!” Wong said. “NEW MUTANTS is such a delight. It's gonna be a party — so of course, I'm bringing Deadpool.”

• It looks like the X-books have already exited "Judgment Day," while other books are still in the middle of it. Since I'm trade-waiting, I don't know how that works.
  • Here's a preview.

PETER PORKER SPECTACULAR SPIDER-HAM COMPLETE COLL VOL 2 TP

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #27

STAR WARS: MANDALORIAN #3

STRANGE #6

ULTRAMAN: MYSTERY OF ULTRASEVEN #2

X-MEN LEGENDS #2

X-MEN UNLIMITED: X-MEN GREEN #2

X-TERMINATORS #1 (OF 5)

Story: Leah Williams | Ar: Carlos Gómez | Cover: Federico Vicentini | $4.99

Four of the fiercest X-Men are about to have a night they’ll never forget! Writer Leah Williams(X-Factor, Trial of Magneto) and artist Carlos Gómez(Amazing Spider-Man Beyond) will take Dazzler, Jubilee, Boom-Boom, and Wolverine on a chaotic ride through a dark corner of Marvel’s underworld in a new limited series titled X-TERMINATORS. Influenced by grindhouse films, fans can expect plenty of blood, sweat and sweet REVENGE in this refreshing new take on Marvel’s merry mutants!

In typical X-Men fashion, what starts as a wild night out gets even crazier when Jubilee, Boom-Boom, and Dazzler are kidnapped and put into elaborate death traps by a mysterious new army of enemies! What are three fierce mutants with the power to blow things up to do? Expect a hardcore, neon-fueled, down and dirty type of adventure unlike any seen before in X-Men history with all the light blasts, fireworks, time bombs, and brawling you can possibly hope for!

“I’m excited about how gleefully transgressive this book is — it’s sexy, stupid, and chaotic,” Williams said. “One of my favorite moments in the making-of this book was Jordan[D. White] asking, ‘What do you think... Parental Advisory for this book? Or just T+?... I am leaning PA.’”

“I'm eager to be working on X-TERMINATORS with Leah!” Gómez added. “She's an incredible writer and always delivers fun and engaging stories and this title is no exception! Did I mention it’s action-packed? Also, X-Men has been one of my favorite series and it’s always cool to be back in the X-Family!”

Be there when Leah Williams and Carlos Gómez put the X in eXploitation this July in X-TERMINATORS #1! For more information, visit Marvel.com.

• They're just going to re-use every X-villain group's name, aren't they? Looking forward to whenever they get around to Factor Three #1.
  • Here's a preview.

OTHER PUBLISHERS

2-LAND SEASON ONE #1

Story: Jay the Teller | Art/Cover: Dr. Inx | 2-Land Comics | $10.00

The city of Tuland has been very active lately. There has been a spike in low level crime, political confusion as well as a looming feeling as if there is a puppet master dictating these seemingly petty crimes. On top of all of this the city has a mysterious new hero. No one has seen him. No cameras have caught him in action. And the only witnesses of his presence are the criminals. Will Tuland's streets return to their once peaceful norm? Is there a so called "puppet master" pulling the strings behind these criminal activities? Will this self-appointed savior of Tuland reveal himself to the people?

• Don't tell George W Bush, but his long-feared human-animal hybrids have arrived.

ABSOLUTION #3

ACTION JOURNALISM #1

Story: Eric Skillman | Art/Cover Miklos Felvideki | Oni Press | $3.99

As a sinister alien armada looms over the earth, New Arcadia's favorite intrepid reporter, Kate Kelly, has just two hours to infiltrate the fleet, uncover their most scandalous secrets, land the interview of the century, and avert interstellar war — and not necessarily in that order. The fast-paced, genre-hopping adventures of the Action Journalism team start here!

• I don't think journalism stories like this are plausible any more, if they ever were.

ALBERTA COMICS ANTHOLOGY HOME GN

Story/Art: Cover: Shea Proulx | Renegade Arts | Mature | $24.99

What makes a "good" home? Is it a crashed starship with only a glitchy holographic attendant? A page of art that transports the artist - along with her cat - which the artist into the vastness of space? Is it navigating new parenthood amidst foreign traditions, values and language? Or how an owl keeps a family sane during lockdowns? Be it positive or negative, our homes help create us, and these last few years of distancing, cohorts and quarantines have likely made that even clearer. Short comic stories featuring a diverse selection of award winning and new comic creators representing many different styles and genres.

ALIENGAGED #1

Story: Greg White, Colin Ingersol | Art/Cover: Greg White | Literati Press | Mature | $5.00

As an alien attack rampages the city, Garrett accepts that his time has finally come. It's the end of life as he knows it... as a single man, that is. Blinded by love, Garrett is blissfully unaware of his apocalyptic surroundings as he strolls through the mania to pop the question to his girlfriend, Claire. Meanwhile, Garrett's best friend, Morris, races through the city to save them both.

ASCENCIA #13

AZZA THE BARBED #1 (OF 5)

Co-creators: Pat Shand, Rio Burton | Story: Pat Shand | Art: Rio Burton | Letters: Jim Campbell | Covers: Rio Burton, Liana Kangas | Scout Comics | $4.99

Azza was born into a family that, for generations, served in the Obsidian Guard, a military unit of holy warriors. During Azza’s Coronation, a magical ceremony that would imbue her with a holy glowing power, something went wrong. Instead of the sacred Obsidian tattoos, she became marred with thorned, black markings. Thinking it was a bad omen, Azza’s people banished her.

Now, Azza lives in solitude guarding a great evil… but when that evil escapes and begins to spread its wicked power, Azza must make a choice: save the people that expelled her or allow her home town to fall to evil.

With an emotional, comedic, and awe-inspiring story of empowerment, Azza the Barbed blends fantasy, adventure, mythology, horror, and action in this unforgettable new series.

Quote From The Creative Team

"Rio and I are both deeply invested in Azza the Barbed, both the character and the story, and we're thrilled to pair with a publisher that invests in creators' visions. Scout Comics has become one of the most vital pieces of the indie comics industry because of exactly that: putting creativity, passion for storytelling, and unique visions first." ― Pat Shand

“Working with Scout has given me the freedom to tell my story without stifling my creativity. This has allowed me to grow as an artist.” ― Rio

BARBARIC: AXE TO GRIND #2

Story: Michael Moreci | Art/Cover: Nathan Gooden | Vault | $4.99

The you-know-what really hits the fan as Owen, Soren, Axe, and Steele find themselves in hostile territory. We gain deeper insight into Steele's vampire curse and Owen encounters a tree god who's just itching to get chopped to pieces. Cutting down trees, after all, is what axes do!

• I know there are some Barbaric fans here.

BATTLE ACTION SPECIAL HC

Story: Garth Ennis Art: Various | Cover: Patrick Goddard | Rebellion \ 2000AD | $24.99

A brand-new collection of hard-hitting war stories from modern master Garth Ennis, drawn by a host of top talent including Kevin O'Neill and Chris Burnham. Ace fighter pilot Johnny Red battles Skreamer of the Stukas on the nightmarish Russian front. Veteran leader The Sarge and his section face hell in the brutal Italian campaign. Wheeler-dealer Crazy Keller drives for his life as World War Two comes to its bloody conclusion. Lethal British agent Dredger doles out justice - of a kind - on the streets of 1980s London.

BELLE: HUNT OF CENTAURS #1

Story: Dave Franchini Cover: Geebo Vigonte | 32 pages | Zenescope | $5.99

As Belle continues her search for the elusive gateway to Tartarus to rescue her mother, she finds herself ensnared in a ceremonial hunt where she is the prize. Can Belle survive this deadly encounter with these magical, legendary, masters of the hunt, or will she become another trophy?

BEST OF 2000 AD VOL 1 (OF 6) TP

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Jamie McKelvie | Rebellion / 2000AD | Mature | $22.99

The ultimate 2000 AD mix-tape has finally arrived! Best of 2000 AD is a landmark series from the cult comic, bursting with our greatest stories for a new generation of readers. In each edition you'll find an explosive new Judge Dredd adventure, fresh essays by prominent popular culture writers, a graphic novel-length feature presentation by global legends and a vintage Dredd case. In this volume: Judge Dredd battles Mutie Block anarchy; Halo Jones escapes in Alan Moore's first masterpiece; humanity is on the Brink in the space murder mystery from Dan Abnett and INJ Culbard; Judge Anderson takes centre stage in the search for Shamballa.

BIG ETHEL ENERGY VOL 1 TP

• I did not care for this. It seemed like the author felt the need to drag Archie & Co. down to build Big Ethel up. Maybe that makes for a better story, I don't know. I just didn't care to see it.

BLACK STAR GN

• I didn't care for this, either, when it came out in HC. The story wasn't bad, but the art was pretty cartoonish for a hard sci-fi story.

BLINK #3

BLOODSHOT #1

Story: Deniz Camp | Art: Jon Davis-Hunt | Colors: Jordie Bellaire | Letters: Hassan Otsmane-Elhaou | Covers: Jon Davis-Hunt, Nicole Rifkin, Pete Woods, Gerardo Zaffino | Valiant | 32 pages | Mature | $3.99

Duty Unbound. Power Unmatched. BLOODSHOT UNLEASHED! Everybody's favorite action hero returns in his first ever Mature Reader title with BLOODSHOT UNLEASHED #1!

When discarded living weapons of mass destruction start razing rural America, there's only one man to call — BLOODSHOT! Facing down these threats force BLOODSHOT to hold a mirror up to his own place in the Valiant Universe in this action-packed introspective into the nanite-infused super soldier.

Dangerous super-soldiers and bloodthirsty living weapons have mysteriously escaped into the world to wreak havoc across the dying towns and forgotten farms of America. Now, Bloodshot must take up arms again to travel across the country hunting down these violent monsters, battling his own demons, and defending the most defenseless. Deniz Camp (Agent of W.O.R.L.D.E.) and Jon Davis-Hunt (SHADOWMAN) join forces to unleash Valiant Entertainment’s first Mature Readers title that puts the BLOOD in BLOODSHOT.

• Valiant appears to be in trouble, but they still manage to get good art on Bloodshot.

BUNGO STRAY DOGS WAN VOL 3 GN

CHILLING ADVENTURES PRESENTS WEIRDER MYSTERIES #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Frank Tieri, Joanne Starer, Ron Robbins | Art: Federico Sabbatini, Juan Bobillo, Ryan Jampole | Colors: Matt Herms | Letters: Jack Morelli | Covers: Adam Gorham, Aaron Lea | Archie | 32 pages| $3.99

Archie Comics is taking over Spooky Season with four all-new horror comics launching in October, also known as Archie Horror's Month of Mayhem! Headlined by a sequel to last year's CHILLING ADVENTURES IN SORCERY, the rest of the lineup includes campfire tales for kids, an '80s-tinted solo adventure for Sabrina's cat Salem, and a Twilight Zone-esque flight into the sci-fi side of horror.

Archie Comics Senior Director of Editorial Jamie L. Rotante said, “Who ever thought Archie Comics and horror would go so well together? We did—but it definitely took a lot of other folks by surprise! Since AFTERLIFE WITH ARCHIE’s debut way back in 2013, we’ve been consistently delivering on unique horror stories featuring our cast, and we have no plans on stopping that any time soon! We’re so excited to bring everyone ‘Archie’s Month of Mayhem’ for the Halloween season. We’ve got something for everyone—three brand new horror one-shots and a middle grade horror anthology!”

Leading the initiative in late September, CHILLING ADVENTURES PRESENTS . . . WEIRDER MYSTERIES is a trio of dark sci-fi tales kicked off by writer Frank Tieri (Deadpool) in a welcome return to the universe of his previous hit Archie Horror series, with art by Federico Sabbatini (Moon Knight). Tieri said, "In 'Betty Cooper: Alien Hunter,' a spine-tingling tale set in the JUGHEAD: THE HUNGER universe, we’ll find the fan-favorite werewolf hunter trade in her silver bullets for a UFO detector as she tries to uncover a mystery that’s not of this world. But in typical Betty Cooper fashion, she may be the bigger threat to the good folks of Riverdale than anything any E.T. can dole out.”

The issue is rounded out with two stories written by Joanne Starer (Sirens of the City) and Ron Robbins (Archie Digest Library) with art by Juan Bobillo (Fantastic Four) and Ryan Jampole (Sonic the Hedgehog), featuring rare appearances by Bingo Wilkin, star of the '70s comic series THAT WILKIN BOY, and Alexandra Cabot, a foil for Josie and the Pussycats.

• In cover A, if Veronica wore glasses and there was a dog, this would be a dead ringer for a Scooby-Doo story!

COMPLETE OMNI TP

Story: Devin Grayson, Melody Cooper | Art: Alitha Martinez, Chris Bolson, Giovanni Valletta, Cris Bolson, Enid Balam | Cover: John Cassaday | Humanoids | $27.99

What would you do if you could think faster than the speed of light?

Brilliant doctor Cecelia Cobbina, held in the highest regard by peers and patients alike, is caught in a spontaneous ignition of energy from out of nowhere. As it fades, she finds herself with the ability to process thoughts at the speed of light. Now gifted with an intelligence far beyond anything humanity has ever seen, Dr. Cobbina has set out to find and help other "ignited" people the world over, all in search of cracking the mystery behind their new power.

• This is the third volume, I think, although not really marked as such.

CRABGRASS COMIC ADVENTURES GN

CRADLE OF FILTH #3

CRASH & TROY #2 (OF 4)

CRYSTAL PLANET #3 (OF 5

CURSE OF THE CHOSEN VOL 2: THE WILL THAT SHAPES THE WORLD GN

DRAGON WHISPERER SEARCH FOR OBSIDIAN #1

Story: Alex Deluca | Art/Cover: Glen Fernandez | Red 5 Comics | $3.95

As featured of Free Comic Book Day! Soon after the events of Dragon Whisperer Volume One, Rosalinda Eberhardt, with her growing abilities, embarks on another quest for Obsidian the Dragon. This time, unlike before, they are not hunting him. They are rescuing him!

EASY TO LEARN DIFFICULT TO MASTER GN

Story: David Kushner | Art: Koren Shadmi | BOLD TYPE BOOKS | $16.99

A deep, nostalgic dive into the advent of gaming, Easy to Learn, Difficult to Master returns us to the emerging culture of Silicon Valley. At the center of this graphic history, dynamically drawn in colors inspired by old computer screens, is the epic feud that raged between Atari founder Nolan Bushnell and inventor Ralph Baer for the title of "father of the video game." While Baer developed the first TV video-game console and ping-pong game in the 1960s, Bushnell, a self-taught whiz kid from Utah, put out Atari's pioneering table-tennis arcade game, Pong, in 1972. Thus, a prolonged battle began over who truly spearheaded the multibillion-dollar gaming industry, and around it a sweeping narrative about invention, inspiration, and the seeds of digital revolution.

ELLES #2

ETERNUS #1

Story: Don Handfield, Anastazja Davis | Art: Karl Moline, Andy Owens | Cover: Rob Prior | Scout Comics | $5.99

From creators Andy Serkis and Andrew Levitas! 360 CE. The great god Zeus is long dead, brutally murdered in his own temple some thirty years prior. Heracles, Zeus's son and champion, spends his days drunk and depressed as the old gods struggle to stay alive after decades of Christian disruption. When Athena's Temple is sacked by a mysterious Centurion looking for a powerful relic that once belonged to Zeus, the old gods are convinced they have found Zeus's killer. Now the mighty Heracles must sober up long enough to keep the lone witness, a 9-year-old blind priestess, alive long enough to identify the killer and finally find justice for his dead father. The main cover features beautiful Rob Prior wraparound artwork!

EVANESCENCE: ECHOES FROM VOID #2

FEARLESS DAWN #1 (OF 4)

Story/Art: Steve Mannion | Asylum Press | $2.95

Get the first printing of this amazing series while it lasts! Jet riding good girl Fearless Dawn battles her arch nemesis Helga Von Krause in this mini-series from Steve Mannion. Fearless Dawn infiltrates the vaunted "Manitoba Sector" to discover the secret behind Helga's chemically-induced Nazi Monsters. Meanwhile, all is not well back at home base when Fearless Dawn's boss discovers our hero has broken probation and flown the coop! Join us now as Mannion's beautifully rendered comic book tale unfolds in full-color glory!  Fans of Mannion's The Bomb will love his new action-packed series.

• I'm getting strong deja vu vibes, so this may be a reprint.
  • This book isn't marked "Mature," so Fearless Dawn isn't fearless enough to take off her shirt, despite the general sexytime vibe. I know you were worried about that.
  • Here's a preview.

FEMFORCE #197

GIANTESS HC

Story: Jc Deveney | Art/Cover: Nuria Tamarit | Magnetic Press | $29.99

A giant baby girl is found and adopted by a local family who bring her back to their village. She grows to become an even bigger giant, learning life's complicated lessons further complicated by her enormous size and uniqueness. Can she weather a society that faces her with frightened hostility and prejudice to find love and, ultimately, the freedom to be herself? A wonderous, fantastical tale of feminism, diversity, love, freedom and the quest to be oneself.

GLAMORELLA’S DAUGHTER #5

HAKIM’S ODYSSEY BOOK 3” FROM MACEDONIA TO FRANCE GN

HATCHET UNSTOPPABLE HORROR #1

HEAVEN'S REJECTS #1

Story: Gregory Wright | Art: Scott Sackett | Cover: Alex Monik | Source Point Press | Mature | $3.99

What if Charlie's Angels were real angels? When three violent, foul angels are dumped on Earth after flunking out of Heaven's army,  they find out the hard way that life ain't cheap. Good deeds don't pay the  rent, so these angels agree to freelance for a gang of demons, killing their  evil rivals for cash. The angels get paid, fight wickedness and take money  away from bad guys. That's good, right? Join this angelic suicide squad on a wild ride into epic, mythological, ass action. Your job still sucks, but these ladies have it worse. Say YES to Heaven's Rejects!

• "What if Charlie's Angels were real angels?" I would expect them to win, every time, without any effort at all. I would expect them to be utterly asexual. I would expect they wouldn't need guns. I would expect them to be contemptuous of, and avoid interacting with, flimsy, short-lived mortals.
  • I also expect none of that is true in this title, or it would be the world's most boring comic book.

JUSTICE WARRIORS #4

Story: Matt Bors | Art/Cover: Ben Clarkson | Ahoy Comics | $4.99

Continuing the smash-hit miniseries co-created by Pulitzer nominee Matt Bors! The Prince of Bubble City, feeling unpopular, orders helicopters to drop pallets of cash on the impoverished Uninhabited Zone, stirring its denizens into chaos. That, and the onslaught of the revolutionary Libra Gang, add up to another lousy shift for UZ cops Swamp and Schitt. 

• Ahoy, Ahoy fans!

LAST BOOK YOU'LL EVER READ: COMPLETE SERIES TP

LITTLE RED RONIN #3

MONSTROUS BOOK OF THE DEAD #4 (OF 4)

MY BODY CREATED A HUMAN: A LOVE STORY GN

NEUROCOMIC: COMIC ABOUT THE BRAIN GN

OTHER EVER AFTERS GN

Story/Art: Melanie Gillman | Random House | $17.99

Once upon a time ... happily ever after turned out differently than expected. In this new, feminist, queer fairy-tale collection, you'll find the princesses, mermaids, knights, barmaids, children, and wise old women who have been forced to sit on the sidelines in classic stories taking center stage. What if the giant who abducted you was actually thoughtful and kind? What if you didn't want to marry your handsome, popular, but cold-inside suitor? What if your one true love has all the responsibilities that come with running a kingdom? A gorgeous all-new collection in graphic novel format from a Stonewall Honor-winning author and artist.

PHENOMENA VOL 1: THE GOLDEN CITY OF EYES GN

Story: Brian Michael Bendis | Art: Andre Lima Araujo | AAbrams | 144 pages | HC with jacket | B&W | $24.99

In PHENOMENA, an all-new graphic novel fantasy adventure series, Brian Michael Bendis,the Peabody and five-time Eisner Award–winning, New York Times best-selling author and co-creator of Miles Morales, Jessica Jones, and Naomi, and André Lima Araújo, co-creator of A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance,transport you toa universe chock full of unforgettable characters, full-tilt action and stunning imagination and world-building.

The first book in the series, PHENOMENA: THE GOLDEN CITY OF EYES tells the story of a young boy named Boldon and his warrior friend Spike — survivors of a phenomena that took over Earth years ago. Not an apocalypse ... something far more interesting. We follow Boldon and Spike as they are forced to team up with another lost orphan of the world, Matilde. The trio of heroes go on a globetrotting adventure that takes them to a magical, mysterious place called the Golden City of Eyes.

As they quest across this epically crazy new world looking for answers and purpose, they face off against dark forces big and small, changing the world for better along the way. In each book in the series, our heroes travel to different parts of the magical world of Phenomena by various modes of transportation, each more and more fantastical than the mode that preceded it. Each journey is personal, and every chapter takes the trio toward a different, visually iconic destination, and each location, character, and chapter reveals clues to the shape of the world and how they got there — and, ultimately, their purpose.

The second book in the series is scheduled to publish in fall 2023 and the third is scheduled to publish in fall 2024.

“The world-building, the scope, the creatures, and the architecture ... Phenomena looks like nothing you’ve ever seen. Bendis has always been a master of the power of story, but with Araújo they unlock something entirely original and fantastic. You’ll love this — and your family will too.” — Brad Meltzer, bestselling author of the Ordinary People Change the World series“

"Humor, adventure, monsters, and mayhem — and the art is beautiful! A wild ride through a dangerous and wondrous sci-fi world from one of my all-time favorite writers!” — Kami Garcia, New York Times bestselling author of Teen Titans: Raven

“Bendis and Araújo have created a fascinating world of adventure, with intriguing mysteries and likable characters galore. A wildly entertaining first installment." — Library Journal

"Bendis (the Daredevil series) and Araújo (A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance) launch this lavishly illustrated sci-fi/fantasy adventure at top speed and never slow down. ... Fans of cinematic fantasy will want to hop on this thrill ride, then reboard hoping for more to the story in the next volume." — Publishers Weekly

• Bendis launches yet another line of books.

POE CLAN MANGA VOL 2: MOTO HAGIO GN

POTIONS INC #4 (OF 5)

PRETENDING IS LYING GN

QUESTS ASIDE #5

RED ROOM TRIGGER WARNINGS TP

RICK AND MORTY CRISIS ON C 137 #2

RIVERS OF LONDON DEADLY EVER AFTER #4

SANTOS SISTERS #2

SHAM COMICS VOL 2 #6 (OF 6)

STARTUP #2

TEX IN LAND OF THE SEMINOLES HC

TIGER’S TONGUE #3

UNRETOUCHABLE GN

Story/Art: Sofia Szamosi | Graphic Universe | $14.99

Olive is spending the summer before art school at a coveted internship, helping one of the fashion industry's elite digital-imaging specialists. After a glamourous New York photoshoot, she learns that taking pictures is only the first step. She discovers the "violent verbs" (cut, crop, slice, lasso) of image retouching software and the secrets behind "virtual models." Soon Olive is fixating on her own appearance and pondering the ethics of her work behind the scenes. As college gets closer, she'll try to get out of her own head, attempt to quit the Internet, and finally embrace image-making on her own terms. Unretouchable is a window into the little-known, hugely influential world of fashion photography and a tribute to self-acceptance.

This September Graphic Universe, an imprint of Lerner Publishing Group, will publish Sofia Szamosi’s graphic novel debut titled UNRETOUCHABLE. Equally timely and thoughtful, Szamosi’s debut provides an unforgettable take on social media and our image-conscious society with an art style that recalls Marjane Satrapi’s Persepolis.

In UNRETOUCHABLE, Olive is spending the summer before art school at a coveted internship, helping one of the fashion industry's elite digital-imaging specialists. After a glamorous New York photoshoot, she learns that taking pictures is only the first step. She discovers the "violent verbs" (cut, crop, slice, lasso) of image retouching software and the secrets behind "virtual models." Soon Olive is fixating on her own appearance and pondering the ethics of her work behind the scenes. As college gets closer, she'll try to get out of her own head, attempt to quit the Internet, and finally embrace image-making on her own terms. UNRETOUCHABLE is a window into the little-known, hugely influential world of photo retouching and a tribute to self-acceptance.

Unretouchable dives headlong into the complications of being a person in a world of nonstop images. Sofia’s a constantly adventurous cartoonist, and she’s created a story about the challenge of being authentically yourself — without ever losing her sense of humor,” said Lerner Books Graphic Universe Editorial Director Greg Hunter.

“Having been a young woman facing these very real issues, I am excited to offer a new angle on the many anxieties young women face in our hyper-image focused world,” said cartoonist Sofia Szamosi.

Here’s what people are saying about UNRETOUCHABLE:

“Soulful, playful, and full of heart, Unretouchable is a timeless coming-of-age story set against the backdrop of our modern, digital world. Sofia Szamosi has illustrated a narrative that is so visceral (and so relatable) that it invites a deeper understanding of readers' realities ― past, present, and future.” ―Aliza Kelly, author, of Starring You: A Guided Journey Through Astrology and This Is Your Destiny: Using Astrology to Manifest Your Best Life

"Written with empathy, wisdom and humor, Unretouchable makes us feel heard and understood. I couldn't put it down!" ― Sadie Radinsky, author of Whole Girl: Live Vibrantly, Love Your Entire Self, and Make Friends with Food

“Sofia has a magical eye and voice. Her ability to take something classic and turn it on its head is something I had never seen before her work.” ― Emily Meade, actor in Dead Ringers, The Leftovers, and The Deuce

“This tale pairs bold black-and-white art with text sharing Olive’s deeply introspective musings. ... An appealing look at important issues.” ― Kirkus Reviews

Sofia Szamosi’s bold graphic novel debut tackles serious topics with a winning combination of curiosity, sensitivity, and wit through its lively, appealing black-and-white illustration and relatable main character. UNRETOUCHABLE ushers in a charming creative voice to the world of comics. Graphic Universe will publish Sofia Szamosi’s Unretouchable on September 13, 2022.

VAN HELSING FLESH OF MY BLOOD #1

Story: Pat Shand | Cover: Jeff Spokes | Zenescope | 32 pages | $5.99

In the midst of a hunt for a creature that she's never previously encountered or heard of, Van Helsing must call on her friend, Dr. Julie Jekyll, to aid her. But when this being seems to know their deepest, darkest secrets and greatest weaknesses, even their combined forces may not be enough to defeat it.

VERY ARCHIE CHRISTMAS TP

• It's Christmas in September!

WAIT TILL HELEN COMES GN

Story: Mary Downing Hahn, Scott Peterson | Art: Meredith Laxton | Clarion Books | $12.99

Two siblings must save their stepsister from the clutches of a vengeful ghost in this graphic novel adaptation of master horror storyteller Mary Downing Hahn's spookiest and most popular tale! When their mom remarries, Molly and her brother, Michael, try to make friends with their new stepsister, Heather. But Heather only wants to make trouble for them. They know she's trying to drive a wedge between her father and their mother so she can have her father all to herself-and it seems to be working. Then, Heather starts playing in the graveyard behind their new house. She claims she can talk to a ghost named Helen, and her behavior gets even stranger.

It seems as though things can't get any worse — but they do. When Helen comes.

WAR AND PEACE GN

WHERE STARSHIPS GO TO DIE #4

WOLF NEVER SLEEPS VOL 2 GN

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #123

YUKI VS PANDA #11

ZITS TREASURY: BINGEWORTHY TP

MORE MANGA

A CENTAUR'S LIFE VOL 21 GN

ALICE IN BORDERLAND VOL 3 GN

ATTACK ON TITAN OMNIBUS VOL 6 TP

BEASTARS VOL 20 GN

BLUE PERIOD VOL 9 GN

BUNGO STRAY DOGS WAN VOL 3 GN

CHILLIN' IN ANOTHER WORLD LEVEL 2: SUPER CHEAT POWERS GN

CLASSROOM OF ELITE GVOL 3 GN

CRAZY FOOD TRUCK VOL 2 GN

D FRAG VOL 16 GN

DARLING IN FRANXX OMNIBUS VOL 3 GN

DEAD MOUNT DEATH PLAY VOL 8 GN

DONT TOY WITH ME MISS NAGATORO VOL 12 GN

DRAGON KNIGHTS BELOVED VOL 3 GN

FAILURE FRAME VOL 4 GN

GAME BETWEEN SUITS VOL 1 GN

Story: Masato Hisa | Art/Cover: KRSG | Steamship | Mature | $14.99

Fujii Sayo has worked hard to climb the ranks at her firm, and she won't let anything stand in her way, even if it costs her lover after lover. Enter her new colleague: Kiriyama Ryouichi. He's obedient enough in the boardroom, but in private, he's challenging and flirtatious; he wants her and he isn't afraid to show it. After falling into bed with him once and insisting it won't happen again, Ryouichi has an assertion of his own: she'll give in. The two agree to an affair that will only last until Sayo finds someone more suitable to her station and temperament, but Ryouichi is confident he'll win against any other man. Thus begins a sizzling game of push and pull that will set their office alight!

• If this is what those Shades of Grey books had been about, I might have read one or two of 'em.

GIRL IN ARCADE GN VOL 02

GOLDEN KAMUY GN VOL 27

HAPPY KANAKOS KILLER LIFE GN VOL 05

HAYATE COMBAT BUTLER GN VOL 40

HIS MAJESTY DEMON KINGS HOUSEKEEPER GN VOL 01

INFERNAL DEVICES COMP TRILOGY HC

IT WONT ALWAYS BE LIKE THIS GN

JOSEE THE TIGER & THE FISH GN

LEGEND OF ZELDA TWILIGHT PRINCESS GN VOL 10

LOOK BACK GN

LOVESICK ELLIE GN VOL 05

MAISON IKKOKU COLLECTORS EDITION GN VOL 09

MISS KOBAYASHIS DRAGON MAID CHROMATIC ED GN

MISS KOBAYASHIS DRAGON MAID GN VOL 12

MOMO BLOOD TAKER GN VOL 01

MONOTONE BLUE GN

MY REPAIR SKILL BECAME A VERSATILE CHEAT GN VOL 01

NECROMANCE GN VOL 04

PLAY IT COOL GUYS GN VOL 04

RAMEN WOLF & CURRY TIGER GN VOL 01

REINCARNATED AS THE VILLAINESS IN AN OTOME GAME GN VOL 03

REZERO FROZEN BOND GN VOL 02

SAILOR MOON NAOKO TAKEUCHI COLLECTION VOL 03

SEASIDE STRANGER GN VOL 04

SERAPH OF END VAMPIRE REIGN GN VOL 25

SHAMAN KING OMNIBUS TP VOL 10

SHE PROFESSED HERSELF PUPIL OF WISE MAN GN VOL 06

SHIBUYA GOLDFISH GN VOL 11

SHIKIMORIS NOT JUST A CUTIE GN VOL 10

SOLO LEVELING GN VOL 05

SPRIGGAN: DLX ED GN VOL 01

SPY X FAMILY GN VOL 08

SURVIVAL IN ANOTHER WORLD WITH MY MISTRESS GN VOL 02

TALES OF WEDDING RINGS GN VOL 11

TOKYO REVENGERS OMNIBUS GN VOL 02

VAMPIRE DORMITORY GN VOL 06

WEAKEST CONTESTANT IN ALL SPACE & TIME GN VOL 02

WOLF NEVER SLEEPS GN VOL 02

MORE KIDS

BABY SITTERS CLUB COLOR ED GN VOL 12 JESSIS SECRET LANGUAGE

BIG NATE RELEASE THE HOUNDS TP

CHEAP TRICKS #3 (OF 8)

CRAB & SNAIL YR GN VOL 02 TIDAL POOL OF COOL

CRABGRASS COMIC ADVENTURES GN

DISNEY/PIXAR LIGHTYEAR GN

FOREST HILLS BOOTLEG SOCIETY GN

GARLIC & THE WITCH GN

GERONIMO STILTON 3IN1 GN VOL 05

HOOKY GN VOL 02 $14.99

IMPROVE: HOW I DISCOVERED IMPROV GN

INCREDIBLE DOOM GN VOL 02

KUNG FU LEGUME #2

LEMON BIRD GN

MAYOR GOOD BOY GN VOL 02 GOES HOLLYWOOD

NORMA AND BELLY YR GN VOL 03 PIZZA MY HEART

SCIENCE COMICS BOXED SET CORAL REEFS SHARKS WHALES

TWO HEADED CHICKEN GN

WITCHES OF BROOKLYN SC GN VOL 03 SMORE MAGIC

WITCHES OF BROOKLYN THRICE THE MAGIC BOXED SET

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "Evidently, Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths is going to restore the entire multiverse (honestly, I thought they already had)"

You're right; that happened in #4, two weeks ago.

• I will never understand comics ratings. There's a guy getting disemboweled right there on the cover, but it's not marked "Mature." But if a boob had been on there, the book would probably be in a brown paper bag and sold from behind the counter.

Consistent with the movie rating procedures.

• I thought it happened with the New 52!

Jeff of Earth-J said:

"Evidently, Dark Crisis on Infinite Earths is going to restore the entire multiverse (honestly, I thought they already had)"

You're right; that happened in #4, two weeks ago.

• And I guess it lines up with American culture, where we're OK with tons of violence, but sex is verboten.

Richard Willis said:

I will never understand comics ratings. There's a guy getting disemboweled right there on the cover, but it's not marked "Mature." But if a boob had been on there, the book would probably be in a brown paper bag and sold from behind the counter.

Consistent with the movie rating procedures.And I

• "I thought it happened with the New 52!"

52 ≠ \infty

• I remember reading somewhere -- Morrison's Multiversity? Dark Metal? -- that the 52 parallel universes were the "local group" of the multiverse. Outside of our 52, there were an infinite number of other local groups, separated from us (and probably each other) by the Source Wall, like Star Trek's Galactic Barrier. Which said to me the multiverse was effectively back, but DC was just going to concentrate on the "nearest" parallel universes. And now even the Source Wall is gone. I think.

*shrug* It will all change in a few years anyway.

• As far as I've been concerned the Multiverse has been back in all but name for years now.

• My perception is that in recent years DC just doesn't care all that much about continuity, let alone maintaining clear adherences to specific timelines or Earths. 

To be fair, that is probably the best call. There is only so much mileage to be had from explaining what various characters remember of the continuities before Crisis / Zero Hour / Flashpoint / Convergence / Doomsday Clock.  That wheel has been revisited way too often already.  The phrase "diminishing returns" definitely comes to mind. Most characters now have such long and to some extent incoherent histories that it is all but unavoidable to selectively forget much of those. 

Besides, some character concepts just plain work best when they do not share continuity with the JLA, the JL Dark, the Green Lantern Corps, the Doom Patrol, the Spectre, Swamp Thing, the Legion of Super-Heroes, the New Gods and, oddly enough, Batman.  Particularly more down-to-Earth concepts such as Blackhawk, Richard Dragon, Vigilante or the Question.

• "*shrug* It will all change in a few years anyway."

"As far as I've been concerned the Multiverse has been back in all but name for years now."

"My perception is that in recent years DC just doesn't care all that much about continuity..."

All those things are true. the way I look at it is that the multiverse has always existed ("hypertime" proved that); it's just that sometimes alternate universes cannot be accessed

This reply was deleted.