“Where am I? How did I get here?”

Those are Superman’s first thoughts from the beginning of Convergence #0. Those thoughts pretty much echo my own regarding the post-Flashpoint DCU. I’ve been left cold by crossovers before, but never have I been so completely turned off by a direction than I have by DC’s “New 52” (or “DCnU” if you prefer). At the end of the “zero” issue I was mildly surprised to discover there are a few universes I’m wholly unfamiliar. But I’ve been reading the advance solicitations, and while I find myself interested in a few of the “Pre-Flashpoint” and “Zero Hour” crossovers, I am interested in virtually all of the “Crisis on Infinite Earths” crossovers. (Of course, at least some effort (doomed as it may be) will have to be made to make them look like 1980s-era comics.)

Convergence proper starts today.

Let’s use this thread to discuss the main series and all the crossovers, shall we?

Views: 3155

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Question. I was out of town last week so this week I picked up Convergence 1&2 and 10 tie ins. For those who have been reading. Should I read #1 then the week 1 tie ins, then #2 and the week 2 tie ins? Or does it matter?

Jason, I'm not actually reading the main series, but I don't get the impression it would matter.  The tie-ins seem pretty self contained within the overall structure.

Agreed.
Thanks. I read issue 1 this afternoon. I liked it, it was more set up basically. I realized aside from the basics my DC history is spotty. However I like to read the big events. Some of the tie-ins seemed interesting. Mostly the pre-zero hour and pre flashpoint stories because that's when I read DC the most.

So I had already stacked up my convergence books in order. So like I stated in the above post I read issue 1 yesterday afternoon. I liked though it was mostly set up. Last night I read Superman and Speed Force. I actually enjoyed the Superman issue. Speed Force was alright. I started reading Nightwing/Oracle but it was late. I'll finish it today, but I liked it the best so far.

Ok, so far Nightwing/Oracle is my favorite.
Last night I read Justice League and the Question. I enjoyed both.

My biggest observation from reading these week one issues, Flashpoint characters are huge jerks. I read the main Flashpoint series when it came out but none of the other tie in minis. The main series, iirc, focused mainly on Flash and Flashpoint Batman. I remember enjoying it. I don't remember the series focusing too much on any other thigs going on in that universe. So I was sort of, surprised reading through these Convergence books, how unlikable most of these Flashpoint characters are. Though I still pretty much have enjoyed what I read.

I agree you can pick and choose what you want to read out of this event. The tie-ins stand alone and still give you enough info as to the larger picture. I'd say that so far the weakest link is actually the main series. Maybe it'll pick up steam as it goes along, right now we're just getting a lot of set up as to what's to come.

Weirdly, DC sent me Week 2 review books today. I don't know how many I can get read and reviewed before Week 3 gets here!

I read issue 2. The meeting between Thomas and Bruce was the high point. So where are the New 52 heroes? It's interesting the New 52 Earth 2 heroes are the focus so far. I don't read earth 2, was there some sort of lead up or hint that this was coming?

I agree, Jason -- those Flashpoint characters are real jerks. Of course, they come from what's essentially a "broken" universe, so they're supposed to be. But there's a reason I didn't pick up the Flashpoint Wonder Woman series, for example. 

Convergence Week 3

Just like the previous two weeks, the inside front covers show us  five cities that are pitted against each other; this week it’s Pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths Gotham City (Earth-One), Kamandi’s New York City, Gotham City from the Red Rain Elseworlds, Durvale (Atomic Knights) and Central City of the Tangent Universe. Also like the previous weeks, DC places all the books in just one of those cities, with only tangential references to the rest. (If I haven’t said it before, I will now: I think that’s the smart play. Throwing five different realities at the reader each week would be pretty confusing, and the writers would have to waste a lot of space in every book establishing the setting.) As usual, the city chosen this week is the one we know the most about: Gotham City as it existed before 1985, existing on the prime DC earth, which we then called Earth-One (to distinguish from Earth-Two, where the JSA lived).

CONVERGENCE #3

Written by JEFF KING

Art by STEPHEN SEGOVIA and JASON PAZ

Cover by IVAN REIS and JOE PRADO

Variant cover by TONY S. DANIEL and MARK MORALES

1:25 Variant cover by DAVE McKEAN

1:100 AQUAMAN sketch variant cover by JIM LEE

On sale APRIL 22 • 32 pg, FC, 3 of 8, $3.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with four covers. Please see the order form for more information.

Death comes calling as an injured Telos takes out his rage on the people of Kandor, while the Earth-2 team endures another brutal casualty. And major plans are set in motion as Green Lantern and the others follow Deimos into the lost city of Skartaris to find Rip Hunter and the missing Time Masters, who could be their only hope of escape from this apocalypse for Infinite Earths!

REVIEW

While the decision for this book to follow the displaced heroes of The New 52’s Earth-2 remains an odd one,* this is a more satisfying issue than most.

* Bleeding Cool speculates that the main result of Convergence will be the establishment of a new Earth-2 for the survivors of the first one, including the six here.

First, the downsides:

Apparently there’s no sun shining on Telos, so Superman is getting weaker. Green Lantern is already powerless (no “The Green” on Telos) and Yolanda Montez ought to be powerless (no “The Red”) but somehow has claws. (I call this the Wolverine Effect. Every team has to have someone with claws.) Batman is out of Miraclo, and Grayson never had powers (or training) to start with. So as super-powers go, there’s really just Flash. Only writer’s fiat has kept them alive.

Deimos (from Warlord) appeared last issue, and tells them his home in the center of Telos has been taken over by a tyrant, but if the group will join him, they’ll find what Telos is afraid of.  (Green Lantern’s vague connection to the planet has told him that Telos fears something under the surface.) Warlord readers know that Deimos is lying, and that the “tyrant” is no doubt good guy Travis Morgan. But even though the heroes don’t know that, it’s disappointing that they don’t mistrust a guy more whose name means “dread" in Greek and was the Greek god of terror personified, who says things like “Unhand me or feel my wrath" and who wears metal knee pads shaped like spiked skulls. Warlord creator Mike Grell was never particularly subtle, and Deimos practically shrieks “evil supervillain.”

Grayson damages something valuable for no reason, reinforcing my dislike for this whiny character, which is compounded by how the others treat him like the Dick Graysons we know (no one treats him like a civilian, Batman more or less adopts him as a sidekick), despite the fact that – AS WRITTEN – he’s nothing but an irritating liability.

Now the upsides:

The plot advances sharply (and it’s about time).

There’s a particularly moving sacrifice, which I won’t spoil.

There are a bunch of time travelers trapped in Skartaris, like Per Degaton, Monarch, Kid Eternity (I think), and others hard to recognize. But one of them appears to be The Spectre! That’s exciting all on its own, and leads one to suspect that perhaps this is what Telos fears, since time travelers can hit the reset button (assuming that would work on a planet outside of time and space) and The Spectre is a lot more than a time traveler.

Skartaris has a perpetual sun, so yay Superman! 

Telos mentions a “vile creature” that is “a plague on every timeline.” What happens next is very satisfying.

Something happens to a character that is very reminiscent of a famous thing that happened to another character, which I won’t spoil. I applaud the echo of famous DC events – as Mark Twain said, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme” – although I can’t fathom how this can be a useful story element.

All in all, I have the most to say about this issue of Convergence, because the title is finally heating up and going somewhere, and looks like it might become the most important aspect of the event. Things are happening here, which is welcome in an event that is mostly an exercise in spinning plates until DC moves to California!

CONVERGENCE: ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN #1

Written by MARV WOLFMAN

Art by ROBERTO VIACAVA and ANDY OWENS

Cover by MIKEL JANIN

Variant cover designed by CHIP KIDD

On sale APRIL 22 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 2, $3.99 US • RATED T

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! Superman and Supergirl attempt to free their city via the Phantom Zone but learn that if they succeed, a terrible fate awaits Supergirl in Crisis on Infinite Earths!

REVIEW

Well, this was disappointing. I expected more from writer Marv Wolfman, who wrote Superman some in the Silver Age, but this just isn’t very good.

First, Superman and Supergirl were trapped in Gotham when the dome went up without any explanation that I recall. I might have missed something expository, though, because the first half of the issue is Superman and Supergirl telling each other what they like about each other. Pretty sappy stuff, and I may have dozed off a bit.

Worse, they didn’t sound like the pre-Crisis Kryptonians I recall, with Supergirl in particular using modern slang a couple of times. I confess what I was looking forward to with this issue was a big, fat valentine to Silver Age readers, written by a Silver Age writer who could certainly do it, while writing a story modern readers could enjoy. But instead of recognizable Silver Age versions of these two iconic characters, I got generic versions instead.

Also, I was also irritated throughout by the depiction of the Phantom Zone, which the Supers enter in an attempt to escape the dome. During the Silver Age, the Phantom Zone was exactly that: A dimension not of sight and sound entirely phantasmal. It was a place of mists, generally colored purple, where all the inhabitants were entirely non-corporeal. In other words, THEY COULDN’T TOUCH EACH OTHER. All they could do was think mean thoughts – they couldn’t even speak – and float around. In this story, the Phantom Zone is entirely corporeal, and the Supers have to physically battle the inhabitants, all of whom have super-powers in this sunless realm(!), and who are mostly wearing outfits inspired by Smallville. This strikes me as outrageously anachronistic – the corporeal Phantom Zone and the Kryptonian symbols seen here are, in my memory at least, POST-Crisis inventions.

Also, no yellow sun=no Kryptonian super powers in the Silver Age. Red sun meant no powers and green sun meant half-powers. These were the Weisinger rules, and they were absolutes. Yet everybody here has the Kryptonian power set despite the lack of a sun.

Now, I could be wrong – perhaps the nature of the Zone changed before Crisis, and this is what it looked like in the early ‘80s, and I have simply forgotten. But even if that’s the case, I think in the spirit of a pre-Crisis story we ought to see the classic Zone one last time.

Further, this issue features the headband-wearing version of Supergirl, which served as a bitter reminder of the various Supergirl series of the late ‘70s and early ‘80s, which were uniformly awful. That’s something from pre-Crisis  that I DON’T want to see one last time.

Finally, the art was mediocre, with Supergirl appearing to be 16 in one panel and 36 in the next.

Maybe I set the bar too high, and that’s why I’m disappointed. But this could have been – should have been -- so much better.

Note: The intelligent apes of Kamandi's world attack Gotham, if you're keeping track of who's fighting whom.

CONVERGENCE: BATMAN AND THE OUTSIDERS #1

Written by MARC ANDREYKO

Art CARLOS D’ANDA

Cover by ANDY KUBERT

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! After a year under the dome, the Outsiders have gone their separate ways, but when OMAC attacks, Batman must find out if they have what it takes to still be a team.

REVIEW

This issue concerns itself with what BATO has been doing in the year without powers. It's not Mike W. Barr-level writing, but it's pretty well done for the most part (absent the Batman-Gordon dialogue, which is pretty stilted). And hey, we get to see what a happy Rex Mason looks like!

A couple of other thoughts:

Halo at the time was a dead body animated by an alien sun-like being. They depict a powerless Halo as, essentially, in a coma during the year without powers. I hate to be a stickler, but absent the sun-being, Halo is a CORPSE and should be decomposing unless she's in a refrigerator, which she is not.

Here's another group of characters who just HAPPENED to be in Gotham when the Dome went up. Given that one of them is a king of European country, you'd think he, for one, would be elsewhere.

Gotham is invaded by Kamandi's world also, but it's a bunch of mutants led by OMAC. Oops! OMAC wasn't part of Kamandi's world, except on The New 52's Earth-51 (aka "Earth-Kirby").

CONVERGENCE: THE FLASH #1

Written by DAN ABNETT

Art by FEDERICO DALLOCCHIO

Cover by MICHAEL ALLRED

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for details.

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! Trapped in Gotham City, Barry Allen has nowhere to run. He fights on, seeking justice as well as a way to save the city, but he faces a Tangent Universe foe who thinks faster than even The Flash can run!

REVIEW

This issue is about Barry Allen's year without the Speed Force.

It's the Barry Allen from after "Trial of the Flash" but before Crisis on Infinite Earths, when he's living in the future with Iris. So, yeah, it's a tad implausible that he would be somehow visiting Gotham when the Dome went up.

But it also excuses any variation writer Dan Abnett takes from the sunny, if generic, Barry Allen of the Silver Age. Not that he needs much help -- he does a pretty good Silver Age Barry. Sure, he's a bit mopier than I remember, but he is separated from his wife (on whom he refuses to cheat).

One scene I liked was a chit-chat between Barry and Bruce Wayne. One oddity I've noticed in these books is that Justice League members trapped under the dome aren't often shown consulting with the other Leaguers trapped under the dome. Wouldn't Step One on Day One be to hook up with the other Leaguers and come up with a plan? Even if they couldn't get out of the Dome, they'd still unite to act as police/emergency crew/symbols/peace officers, right? Oh, well.

The issue ends with The Speech and Barry facing off against his foe. He's someone from the Tangent universe, about whom I remember absolutely nothing.

CONVERGENCE: GREEN LANTERN CORPS #1

Written by DAVID GALLAHER

Art by STEVE ELLIS and ANDE PARKS

Cover by TONY HARRIS

Retailers: This issue will ship with two covers. Please see the order form for more information.

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! Say the Oath, save the world! If only being in the Green Lantern Corps was that easy. Hal has resigned, John is busy, and Guy is pissed. Together for the first time, they’ll save Gotham City or die trying!

REVIEW

This is another issue that's basically about the year without super-powers. It's also 90 percent Guy Gardner -- not the bowl-haircut one you remember, but the pre-Crisis one who essentially had few appearances (he was usually in a coma) and virtually no personality except "irritating." Whee.

We also see John Stewart, who is true to his pre-Crisis self (he doesn't want to be a Green Lantern) and Hal Jordan, whose reaction to the Dome is ... completely out of left field. Or maybe "completely out of the early 1990s." Because it's not consistent with pre-Crisis Hal Jordan,* but IS consistent with Parallax-era Hal Jordan. Boo.

* The pre-Crisis Hal Jordan would have been hit over the head at the beginning of the adventure, and woken up after the other Leaguers had solved the problem.

The art is a little Joe Staton-esque, which I assume is on purpose.

All in all, a bit disappointing.

CONVERGENCE: HAWKMAN #1

Written by JEFF PARKER

Art by TIM TRUMAN and ENRIQUE ALCATENA

Cover by RAFAEL ALBUQUERQUE

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! Hawkman and Hawkgirl put their Shadow War on hold as they face the might of anthropomorphic rat-men and bat-men in the deadly land of Kamandi!

REVIEW

My God, what a joy it is to see pre-Hawkworld Katar and Shayera Hol again!

There's no convoluted back story. I could feel my brain sliding into "relief" when I realized that these two were simply the good-guy, Silver Age cops from utopian Thanagar. No Hawk-God, no reincarnation, no complications. Just good ol' Katar and Shayera, who always do the right thing and are totally, unmistakably in love with each other. Yay, Hawks!

Some quick thoughts:

The Batman and Superman displays in the Gotham museum (where Carter and Shiera Hall work, naturally) are visually based on the Aurora models of the 1960s.

Katar says about a Manhawk: "I don't want to use deadly force ... " Oh, God, what a relief from the bloodthirsty Hawkman of the last decade or so!

The Silver Age Hawkman and Hawkwoman helmets are the best, bar none. BAR NONE. So good to see them again.

There's some kerfuffle about "the shadows," as this series is set after "The Shadow War of Hawkman," but don't worry, it doesn't amount to much and you don't need to know anything going in. Except that this book stars the best Hawks there ever were.

CONVERGENCE: JUSTICE LEAGUE AMERICA #1

Written by FABIAN NICIEZA

Art and cover by CHRISCROSS

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! With their heavy hitters sidelined, Elongated Man must lead the much-maligned “Detroit Justice League” against the overwhelming power of the heroes from the Tangent Universe!

REVIEW

So they opted for the Detroit Justice League. Whyyyyy?

It's the weakest Justice League

It's the worst Justice League

It should be in DETROIT. Having it in Gotham is really stretching credulity.

But there's good news:

We get to see Ralph and Sue Dibny in a domestic setting (briefly), doing their Nick and Nora dialogue. Forgot how much I missed that.

The issue begins after The Speech, so we don't have to read it again, and we find out what these people did during the powerless year by references in dialogue, which is quite sufficient.

We get to an invasion before the end of the issue, so we see a little of what our heroes face. Which is good, because their foes are the Secret Six from the Tangent Universe (Atom, Flash, Joker, Plastic Man, Spectre and Manhunter). I remember a little about the ones who had their own books like Atom, Flash and Joker, but mostly I don't remember what these folks can do. So the early intro was helpful.

It's unclear at the end of the book what has happened to Zatanna, Martian Manhunter and Aquaman, but the rest of the League -- Elongated Man, Vixen, Vibe, Gypsy and Steel -- are still in the fight. I'm guessing the big guns have been written out to make the fight more even, but maybe not. I guess we'll see in issue 2.

Last thoughts: The Dome took away super-powers, but not natural gifts. So I find it curious that Aquaman lost his water-breathing "power" and Martian Manhunter couldn't shapeshift. Aren't those innate abilities of their species?

CONVERGENCE: NEW TEEN TITANS #1

Written by MARV WOLFMAN

Art by NICOLA SCOTT and MARC DEERING

Cover by NICOLA SCOTT

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! Titans Together! The greatest Titans team of them all takes on the might of the Tangent Universe’s Doom Patrol!

REVIEW

it's good to see the Titans again, written by co-creator Marv Wolfman, although it leans toward the not-so-good '90s Titans more than the very good '80s Titans. Oh well, you can't have everything.

Once again we get an early entrance of the "bad" guys, the Tangent Universe Doom Patrol, which again is a good thing, since I don't remember them well. They are from 2030, here in the present to prevent a future doomsday, which -- IIRC -- they actually end up causing. For the record, they are Doomsday (the leader, a scientist who doesn't have powers), Rampage (a male android), Star Sapphire (a crystalline energy shooter) and Firehawk (Doomsday's daughter, who I think is also non-powered).

The Titans of this issue, as noted, are from the latter part of the pre-Crisis New Teen Titans run, although Legionnaire Chris Fluit will have to tell us the particulars. They consist of Nightwing, Wonder Girl, Starfire, Cyborg, Changeling, Kole and Jericho. For the most part I don't have much to say, except that it was good to see Dick and Donna as BFFs again.

CONVERGENCE: SUPERBOY AND THE LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #1

Written by STUART MOORE

Art by GUS STORMS and MARK FARMER

Cover by PIA GUERRA

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS!! While Brainiac 5 struggles to break through the dome, Superboy tries to keep the Legion of Super-Heroes’ spirits up – until the Atomic Knights ride into town to cause mass destruction!

REVIEW

Legion Roll Call: Brainiac 5, Colossal Boy, Invisible Kid II, Lightning Lass, Shadow Lass, Sun Boy, Ultra Boy

This issue is basically a summary of what our heroes have faced recently, so we can locate this story in Legion history. It's after "The Great Darkness Saga" and after Lightning Lass got her powers back, and after Karate Kid died.

It's before Crisis of Infinite Earths, of course, but it's also before Lightning Lass was established as a lesbian, which I think was post-Crisis, but I'm not sure. Anyway, she spends this issue sidling up to Superboy for amorous reasons. Also, the Atomic Knights attack.

Is that a spoiler? This issue is all set up, so I didn't spoil much.

One more thing: Once again the Dome acts weirdly; Colossal Boy says he was stuck at 12 feet during the year of no powers. Shades of Hank Pym! Wouldn't he have just reverted to his human size?

CONVERGENCE: SWAMP THING #1

Written by LEN WEIN

Art and cover by KELLEY JONES

On sale APRIL 22 • 32 pg, FC, 1 of 2, $3.99 US • RATED T+

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! The dome has cut off all the heroes from their powers – but what happens when Swamp Thing is cut off from his life source in The Green?

REVIEW

Len Wein on Swamp Thing again? That's kinda cool! This is after "Anatomy Lesson," so it's Alan Moore's Swampy more than it's Wein's, but still.

This issue is mostly recap of the adventures of Swamp Thing and Abby Arcane. That could be dull, but it's actually a nice read and Kelley Jones' art keeps it all lively and vibrant.

In the present, Swamp Thing is dying under the Dome, as he's disconnected from The Green. Abby keeps him alive with fertilizer and such, and fortunately he survives until the Dome falls.

Which is good, because Gotham is under attack by vampires from the Red Rain Gotham.

Bonus: Poison Ivy and Batgirl cameos!

Recommended!

CONVERGENCE: WONDER WOMAN #1

Written by LARRY HAMA

Art and cover by JOSHUA MIDDLETON

STARRING HEROES FROM CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS! Diana Prince is in the grip of a Domesday cult when Steve Trevor leaps into the fray! But can he save Etta Candy from vampires of Red Rain?

REVIEW

Cover A thematically resembles a couple of gothic covers that appeared during the powerless Wonder Woman phase, which is appropriate, since she is powerless during the year under the Dome and dresses in an all-white jumpsuit, like she did in that period.

During the Dome year, Diana Prince and Etta Candy helped out in their neighborhood, which is plagued by a religious cult, while Steve Trevor helped in other ways.  (And why are Diana, Etta and Steve all in Gotham? Search me.) Etta and Diana are in conflict with the cult when the Dome comes down and changes everything.

Yes, Diana gets her powers back. But, as seen in Convergence: Swamp Thing, Gotham is attacked by vampires. We get a little of that combat, too, and the issue ends on a cliffhanger.

You know, this was a pretty good issue. Not only was the writing crisp and interesting -- even Etta was fleshed out a little -- and the art is very good. Recommended.

Note: If you try to locate the vampires in this issue in the Red Rain continuity, rotsa ruck. We have a vampire Joker, who was turned and nearly instantly staked in Batman: Bloodstorm; a were-vampire-cat Catwoman, who was Batman's ally until being killed in Bloodstorm, and a vampire Poison Ivy, who was drained and instantly decapitated in Batman: Crimson Mist. So they are, in effect, impossible. Yet here they are.

Still, as I've said before, that's not the most preposterous thing in Convergence, so *shrug*.

"Deimos" means "terror" more than "demon", but it's still not a fun name. 

The Tangent Comics Firehawk was Doomsday's daughter, not son, so it appears they've changed something, here.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service