Dark Shadows

I’d like to start this continuation of the Dark Shadows discussion from the old board with a look at some of the new and upcoming Dark Shadows audio stories from Big Finish Productions. There aren’t nearly as many Dark Shadows audio adventures as there are Doctor Who ones, but the Doctor Who series has been around longer. The Dark Shadows audios are a mixed bag. The first release was a full-cast sequel titled “Return to Collinwood”. Later they began to release a series of interconnected sequential stories grouped in short “seasons”. More recently they’ve been going back to the timeline of the original television show and telling interstitial one-shots. As the Dark Shadows series seems to be catching on, Big Finish seems to be ramping up their production schedule. “Curse of the Pharaoh” was released in September, and the next four are set for monthly release beginning in January at a special subscription rate.

CURSE OF THE PHARAOH:

“Curse of the Pharaoh” stars Nancy Barrett (reprising her role as Carolyn Stoddard) and Marie Wallace (perhaps best known as “Eve” on the TV show) in a new role, famed Egyptologist Dr. Gretchen Warwick. The story doesn’t specify, but I assume it takes place shortly after the end of the series original TV series, circa 1970 or so. Both actresses are kind of rusty and sound as old as they are, not as young as they (Caroline, anyway) are supposed to be. Barrett was always a better actress than Wallace, and that remains true. Wallace’s shortcomings are spotlighted in this “dramatic reading” in which she plays other bit parts, most of the male (Bob the bartender at The Blue Whale, Eliot Stokes on the telephone, Carolyn’s father in flashback), which she performs in a gruff kind of storybook voice as if reading aloud to a child. The story itself is a sequel to the unpopular “Leviathan” television storyline. If you’ve never heard a Dark Shadows audio and thinking of trying one out, there are better ones to start with than this.

KEY: OB = Old Board; UR = Un-Reviewed

Return to Collinwood - 169

SEASON ONE:
S1.1 The House of Despair - 1
S1.2 The Book of Temptation - OB
S1.3 The Christmas Presence - 264
S1.4 The Rage Beneath - 7

SEASON TWO: Kingdom of the Dead - 7

DRAMATIC READINGS:

1. Angelique’s Descent-Pt. 1 - OB
2. Angelique’s Descent-Pt. 2 - OB
3. Clothes of Sand - OB
4. The Ghost Walker - OB
5. The Skin Walkers - OB
6. The Path of Fate - OB
7. The Wicked & the Dead - OB
8. Echoes of Insanity - OB
9. Curse of the Pharaoh - 1
10. Final Judgment - 1
11. Blood Dance - 1
12. The Night Whispers - 1
13. London’s Burning - 2
14. The Doll House - 30
15. The Blind Painter - 87
16. The Death Mask - 88
17. The Creeping Fog - 89
18. The Carrion Queen - 89
19. The Poisoned Soul - 96
20. The Lost Girl - 96
21. The Crimson Pearl - 114
22. The Voodoo Amulet - 129
23. The House by the Sea - 170
24. Dress Me in Dark Dreams - 154
25. The Eternal Actress - 162
26. The Fall of House Trask - 163
27. Operation: Victor - 166
28. Speak No Evil - 166
29. The Last Stop - 166
30. Dreaming of the Water - 167
31. The Haunted Refrain - 167
32. A Collinwood Christmas - 167, 264
33. The Phantom Bride - 167
34. Beneath the Veil - 167
35. The Enemy Within - 167
36. The Lucifer Gambit - 167
37. The Flip Side - 167
38. Beyond the Grave - 168
39. Curtain Call - 168
40. The Harvest of Souls - 170
41. The Happier Dead - 168
42. The Carriage Damned - 168
43. The Devil Cat - 168
44. The Darkest Shadow - 173

SEASON THREE: Bloodlust - 170-172, 181, 269

45. Panic - 173
46. The Curse of Shurafa - 173
47. In the Twinkling of an Eye - 173
48. Deliver Us from Evil - 173
49. Tainted Love - 173
50. ...And Red All Over - 175

Echoes of the Past - 176

Blood & Fire - 176

Haunting Memories - 177

Phantom Melodies - 178

Dreams of Long Ago - 178

THE TONY & CASSANDRA MYSTERIES:
The Mystery at Crucifix Heights - 179
The Mystery of La Danse Macabre - 179
The Mystery of Flight 493 - 180
The Mystery of Karmina Sonata - 180

SHADOWS OF THE NIGHT:
Trio - 180
Honeymoon from Hell - 180
Retreat -180
1:53 AM - 180

MAGGIE & QUENTIN - THE LOVERS' REFRAIN:
The Girl Beneath the Water - 180
The Sand That Speaks HIs Name - 180
The Hollow Winds That Beckon
The Paper to the Flame

GOTHIC PAPERBACK LIBRARY

1. Dark Shadows - p183
2. Victoria Winters - p183
3. Strangers at Collins House - p183
4. The Mystery of Collinwood - p184
5. The Curse of Collinwood - p184
6. Barnabas Collins - p185
7. The Secret of BC - p185
8. The Demon of BC - p185
9. The Foe of BC - p185
10. The Phantom of BC - p185
11. BC vs. the Warlock - p186
12. The Peril of BC - p186
13. BC and the Mysterious Ghost - p187
14. BC and Quentin's Demon - p188
15. BC and the Gypsy Witch - p188
16. B, Q and the Mummy's Curse - p188
17. B, Q and the Avenging Ghost - p242
18. B, Q and the Nightmare Assassin - p244
19. B, Q and the Crystal Coffin
20. B, Q and the Witch's Curse
21. B, Q and the Haunted Cave
22. B, Q and the Frightened Bride
23. B, Q and the Scorpio Curse
24. B, Q and the Serpent
25. B, Q and the Magic Potion
26. B, Q and the Body Snatchers
27. B, Q and Dr. Jekyll's Son
28. B, Q and the Grave Robbers
29. B, Q and the Sea Ghost
30. B, Q and the Mad Magician
31. B, Q and the Hidden Tomb
32. B, Q and the Vampire Beauty
33. House of Dark Shadows - p241

ROB STAEGER: p189

NEWSPAPER STRIPS: p241

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• "I may let you get as far as 980 (the end of the arc) so that I can get through it as quickly as possible."

"I've been continuing -- slowly, very slowly -- and am now up through episode 902."

78 to go!

• Up through episode 904 now. Liz has been recruited to Leviathan via a trippy funhouse mirror dream, with David in a fat suit reciting nursery rhymes; Julia has recruited Chris Jennings to help find out if Olivia is actually Amanda Harris; using x-rays, Olivia has discovered a portrait painted under the Tate landscape; and Barnabas has just run over Quentin (or someone who looks like him) with his car!

Also, Barnabas apparently learned to drive. 

• And now, in episode 905, the guy David Selby is playing has a different name, no previous address (and amnesia), so Julia thinks he's Quentin. Barnabas is barely interested, scolding Julia for digging into it, and Julia is openly suspicious of Barnabas's change of attitude. And the li'l leviathan baby has grown spontanously to a boy of 8 or 9, to Carolyn's obvious horror. Boys are the worst.

• li'l leviathan baby

Sounds like an 80's kids' cartoon.

• Up through episode 908 now. Paul has returned to Collinwood, since Liz is part of Leviathan now. Roger just came home, and was furious at Liz for letting him back in. 

Paul has voiced his suspicions to Maggie, who didn't believe him at first, but begins to think something fishy is going on when she overhears Alex (former li'l leviathan baby) demand David's new transitor radio, and David reluctantly hands it over. (I'm curious whether Alex wants the radio for something nefarious, of just wants it because he's a kid and it's cool.)

Maggie may no longer have a detective partner, however. Soon after Paul told her about the leviathan conspiracy, David (presumably at Alex's direction) showed him a photo album of pictures of Carolyn growing up. This seemed to have an unusual effect on him, and he might now be hypnotized too.

It's a nice trick this show has done, making me sympathetic for a weasel like Paul Stoddard!

• And Paul Stoddard is played by Dennis Patrick, who also played Paul's best friend, Jason McGuire.

• 12423332287?profile=RESIZE_584x

12423332652?profile=RESIZE_584x

• Great clippings, Tracy! I'm looking forward to Chris -- excuse me, Christopher! -- Pennock's debut!

I've seen up through episode 913/914 now. Babyfaced bully Alexander has aged up into a smoother Ricky Schoeder-style tween named Michael. The Leviathan conspiracy has gotten Amy on their side. Julia brought Professor Stokes back into the pictyue, and has tracked down Charles Middlename Tate, presumed dead... and possibly incapable of painting again, even though he's alive. And the rift between Jula and Barnabas grows...

So far, we've got Julia, Chris Jennings, and Professor Stokes as the actively anti-Leviathan forces.

Carolyn, Paul Stoddard, and Roger are either oblivious or caught in Levianthan's clutches, but not converts.

Charles Delaware Tate and "Grant Douglas" -- who is mostly likely Quentin Collins -- are wild cards, mostly involved in their own storyline.

And pretty much everyone else -- Barnabas, Elizabeth, the kids, the shopkeepers -- are active agents of Leviathan. 

• Episode 915 was a good one, in that we got to see Barnabas turn into a vampire and bite a prostitute (Marsha Mason!) down by the docks again! (Although Collinsport has like what, a population of 11 people? How does a floozy expect to keep herself in stockings in this burg, anyway?)

Turns out it was a dream, sort of. A dream threat, sent by a Leviathan Honcho, who also says they have Josette captured, and will hurt her if Barnabas defies them. Which is surprisingly effective, given that up until then Barnabas thought Josette was dead.

Anyway, this episode repositions Barnabas not as a hypnotized dupe, but as a man being blackmailed into helping Leviathan, and I expect that's better long-term.

• Also: from what I can tell, the 1991 Dark Shadows series is streaming again, this time on the Roku Channel and on Fubo. I hope to see it soon, but I probably won't veer into it until after I'm through with Leviathan. Which, obviously, could be a while.

This reply was deleted.