Nothing's been confirmed, but Bleeding Cool is publishing a ton of rumors about the upcoming DC "... event. Apparently everything's getting a "Rebirth" issue in June, followed by a new #1 in July (or late June in the case of bi-weeklys). It sounds to me like it'll be more of an All-New, All-Different style reinvigoration than a wholesale reboot. 

There's be some cancellations, of course -- rumored ones are Starfire, Black Canary, Superman/Batman, Superman/Wonder Woman, Midnighter, Doctor Fate and Grayson -- but most of the characters won't be left homeless, with the possibility of new Titans, Birds of Prey, Authority, and a Trinity biweekly.

Plus, the rumor mill says, Tom King will take over the biweekly Batman book, with Peter Tomasi taking over a biweekly Superman title. 

And there might be a new Justice Society title, too -- the original WWII version, forgotten by this Earth and now emerging into the present, as young as they were in the 40s. 

There'll be more stories coming, I'm sure. We'll see how well-connected Rich's source is. But the prospect of a new JSA book -- even in the present, rather than WWII -- makes me pretty damn (provisionally) happy. 

Rob

Views: 1282

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think it's helping right now that you have a Batman who isn't Batman and a Superman who isn't Superman. Experimentation isn't a bad thing, but I also think that your flagship characters need to be recognizable.

ClarkKent_DC said:

Does anybody at DC consider that the problem isn't the new #1s, but the rebooting of characters?

From what I gather, one of the few hits this last go-round was Superman: Lois and Clark, which brought back a Superman we were invested in for many years -- one I'm simply more interested in reading about than the latest version.

The sad part about this is that they keep getting sales spikes every time they do these resets. At this point I think they're afraid to change direction, storyline or creative team without resetting the numbers because they don't think anyone will pay attention.

The whole situation with the JSA confuses me. For a while, during the Johns era, JSA was arguably one of the best superhero comics ever. It was pretty popular and it became the flagship and lynchpin of the DCU for all practical purposes. And it was completely based on legacy and tradition. Now, if I understand it correctly, we've reached a point where those characters don't exist and an attempt was being made to build a new JSA through the Earth 2 books. Then it seems like that attempt was abandoned for a while. Now we have Earth 2 Society. I thought the "Society" in the title was a reference to Justice Society but I guess maybe not? It makes no sense to me.

I'm buying and piling up the Flash and Wonder Woman books. Previously I piled up the last two Flash reboots before giving them away unread. If/when they reboot either of these it will be my jumping off point.

I'm down to two Vertigo monthlies (Astro City and Wolf Among Us) and no Marvels at all. I'm now a trade waiter, mostly for the creator-owned stuff. I'm buying the Deluxe hardcovers of Fables as they come out.

I did get on board for the Waid Daredevil run in TPB form. Crazily, they renumbered the trades at #1 halfway through. Will continue to enjoy these.

If I remember correctly -- and there's no guarantee I do -- Crisis on Infinite Earths blended Earth Two into Earth One's history, so the JSA became part of "our" DCU history. The year-long 52 series re-established a multiverse, and a new Earth-2 (sic?) was revealed, with younger versions of Jay Garrick, et al, who still existed in the DCU. Then Flashpoint launched The New 52, which removed Jay Garrick and co. from our history, and established them on a new Earth-2. On that Earth, the first three superheroes were Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, all of whom appeared to die battling Darkseid's invasion (that world's version of Robin and Supergirl were knocked to our Earth, where they took the names Huntress and Power Girl). That world was eventually destroyed, with one city (and most of the superheroes) preserved on the Convergence world. Afterwards, the survivors were awarded a new world by Telos, and their stories have been told in the new Earth-2: Society book.

I refuse to even guess what the new Justice Society will be.

Detective 445 said:

The whole situation with the JSA confuses me. For a while, during the Johns era, JSA was arguably one of the best superhero comics ever. It was pretty popular and it became the flagship and lynchpin of the DCU for all practical purposes. And it was completely based on legacy and tradition. Now, if I understand it correctly, we've reached a point where those characters don't exist and an attempt was being made to build a new JSA through the Earth 2 books. Then it seems like that attempt was abandoned for a while. Now we have Earth 2 Society. I thought the "Society" in the title was a reference to Justice Society but I guess maybe not? It makes no sense to me.

Captain Comics said:

If I remember correctly -- and there's no guarantee I do -- Crisis on Infinite Earths blended Earth Two into Earth One's history, so the JSA became part of "our" DCU history. The year-long 52 series re-established a multiverse, and a new Earth-2 (sic?) was revealed, with younger versions of Jay Garrick, et al, who still existed in the DCU. Then Flashpoint launched The New 52, which removed Jay Garrick and co. from our history, and established them on a new Earth-2. On that Earth, the first three superheroes were Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman, all of whom appeared to die battling Darkseid's invasion (that world's version of Robin and Supergirl were knocked to our Earth, where they took the names Huntress and Power Girl). That world was eventually destroyed, with one city (and most of the superheroes) preserved on the Convergence world. Afterwards, the survivors were awarded a new world by Telos, and their stories have been told in the new Earth-2: Society book.

I refuse to even guess what the new Justice Society will be.

My head hurts.

It would be nice if Braniac or Alex Luthor or whoever would just travel to the pre-crisis Earth-2 WWII era, pluck the All Star Squadron from that world, and neatly deposit them in the current DCU.

That'd be fantastic. I love the A-SS so much, you could call me Sir Mix-Alot.

That said, if you're missing All-Star Squadron, DC's current Bombshells comic is scratching that superheroes in WWII itch really well, IMO. It's a really fun book, and well worth checking out.

I'm waiting until they introduce Jane Garrick, Ellen Scott and Charlotte Hall.

Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) said:

That'd be fantastic. I love the A-SS so much, you could call me Sir Mix-Alot.

That said, if you're missing All-Star Squadron, DC's current Bombshells comic is scratching that superheroes in WWII itch really well, IMO. It's a really fun book, and well worth checking out.

While I'm not happy Grayson, Midnighter and Black Canary might be getting the ax, I'm kind of happy the JSA might be back.

Like Clark, I'm enjoying Lois and Clark more than most of the other Superman titles, with the exception of Greg Pak's Action run, which, sadly, is coming to an end.

Convergence showed there are only four members of the original JSA left, and they're really, really old, so it's doubtful they'll be the ones brought back. Not only would they need to make them young (again) but they'd need to bring at least a few of the others back from the dead, plus the whole confused mess of there being two Hawkmen named Carter Hall would probably start up again.

Ronald Morgan said:

Convergence showed there are only four members of the original JSA left, and they're really, really old, so it's doubtful they'll be the ones brought back. Not only would they need to make them young (again) but they'd need to bring at least a few of the others back from the dead, plus the whole confused mess of there being two Hawkmen named Carter Hall would probably start up again.

The current DC continuity is so loosely defined that there are probably any number of possibilities for a return of the JSA. Right now there are two seperate JLA books (Johns and Hitch) that appear to occur in two seperate continuities.
I've heard rumors that a JSA which is essentially the same as the pre-crisis version could be introduced into the present day New 52 universe and that they will have been transported from the 40s but for some reason no one will remember that they existed back then.
I don't know what will happen but I really hope they will finally put to rest the idea that the JSA have to be geriatric super heroes.

...I really liked Jakeem Thunder from the Johns JSA I'd like him to be brought back aged to 18-21 or so .

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service