I used to work retail so I know some holidays are real and some aren't, as a retail person the real holidays are few and far between. But I think've seen signs on just about every store in the area saying that they'll be open on July 4th. Isn't this holiday worth more than just a sale?

Views: 561

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

InDEED. It's all connected for a reason, too.

It's all there right in front of our faces.

Figserello said:

Reagarding Independence Day opening hours, know that Shopping and Freedom are inextricably linked!  Remember that W told everyone to get shopping to show the terrorists what for after 9/11?

As much as I detest Murdoch, as far as I know he hasn't been convicted of any crimes. Just because he has been denounced doesn't make him ineligible. For that matter has Dr. Doom ever been convicted of anything? I think large transactions like this would be blocked by the U.S. if there was proof of wrongdoing, but apparently such proof hasn't turned up.

Figserello said:

It's hard to see how Murdoch would be allowed to buy any more newspapers (even though it probably is allowed).  Murdoch was deplored as a dishonest corresive villian in a statement by the UK parliament.  Surely that must stand for something?  If Dr Doom wanted to buy up ownership of a newspaper, would there be nothing stopping him in the US? Is money the only qualification needed?

I hear ya.  But surely if someone is being investigated by all sorts of legal bodies, including a big US one (in that case for bribing officials in a non-US country ie bent UK coppers), there would be a stay until after the investigations were concluded?  Maybe that's in effect right now and stopping him making acquisitions for the moment, but I doubt it. 

In any case, the Digger's wheelings and dealings are about to become a hot topic again for our enjoyment, if nothing else.

The motto could be "All the news that Doom sees fit for you to know!"

For some reason my Safari browser keeps dropping out my replies and I end up with a blank message.

I don't read the papers anymore, I don't believe them. I buy the papers for my father. My problem with so few true holidays is that if you have a holiday and it is set then you can make plans, you can out and be part of a communal celebration like the 4th where you have a lot of activities. It can make you feel as if you're actually a part of the community and the country. When you have work you feel less a part of the country and more the hired help. I knew when I worked in Radio Shack that the decision to keep me on the job during holidays was made by people who would have those holidays off. A lot of resentment can grow from that.

To me it makes a great motivator to get a better job. The last time I worked retail I worked Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve and Day, and New Year's Eve and Day. Plus, I missed the Super Bowl that year. When a job opportunity came up to get out of retail I jumped at it.

" Anti-trust laws in th USA " , Figs ?????????

Shurely you are not , " Down Under where men are men and women " , etc. , some sort of " 60s throwback " " counter-culture McGovernik " , F. ???????????

Said laws have been essentially Barney Google/Tito from the Challs since Reagan's admin , F.

Figserello said:

There's probably a lot like us, Richard. 

It's hard to see how Murdoch would be allowed to buy any more newspapers (even though it probably is allowed).  Murdoch was deplored as a dishonest corresive villian in a statement by the UK parliament.  Surely that must stand for something?  If Dr Doom wanted to buy up ownership of a newspaper, would there be nothing stopping him in the US? Is money the only qualification needed?

This thread reminds me of the "Blue Laws" Connecticut had in place back in the day. There were no retail sales of any kind on Sundays out of respect for religious obligations. I remember most folks approving of this; however, when the laws were finally repealed, these same folks had no problem running off to K-mart.

It's like I said about the tabloids. If the public didn't go shopping on national holidays the stores would be closed because opening would be a money-loser.

For the same reason, sales of Christmas items get earlier every year because if I bought my stuff in September at your competitor I'm not going to buy those things from you.

But the true meanings of the holidays are lost.  

I'm not sure about that Mark. Generational apathy and systemic ignorance obscure true meanings, not retail sales. If anything that Presidents Day circular Walmart puts in your local paper could be used to foster a discussion rather that mask the original intent. And by the way, it ain't one day! It's Washington's birthday and Lincoln's birthday, dad gum it!  While I'm at it, what's this Earth day? It's Arbor day, so go plant a tree! 

Mark S. Ogilvie said:

But the true meanings of the holidays are lost.  

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Publisher News

The Justice League comes to an end in 'Justice League' #75

Posted by Captain Comics on January 20, 2022 at 5:30pm 2 Comments

Joshua Williamson & Rafa Sandoval Team up to kill the team on April 19…

Continue

Groups

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service