Movies I Have Seen Lately

Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• You Can Call Me Bill. Shatner reflects back on his life and career while philosophising on the world past, present and future. An intimate look into who Shatner really is under the acting mask.. The most telling moment to me was his admission that he has never had a real friend. This seems so sad for a man who has lived 90 plus years.

• I watched Night Shift yesterday, for the first time since 1982. I enjoyed it a lot. The writing is top notch, as is the casting.

I had forgotten that Richard Belzer was in it. I probably recognized him in my first viewing since I had seen his prominent role(s) in The Groove Tube (1974), a wonderfully raunchy satire of television.

• JOHNNY DANGEROUSLY (1984): I suggested two movies tonight but it was Tracy's turn. She decided to follow up Night Shift with her first Michael Keaton movie. I had never seen it before. I knew it was a comedy, but I hadn't realized it was this far over the top.

220px-Johnny_Dangerously_movie_poster.jpg

•  That is the most hair Michael Keaton has ever had.

• THE DEEP (1977): I saw this movie twice in the theater but haven't seen it since. The novel it is based on was written by Peter Benchley, and personally, I like The Deep (both movie and book) better than Jaws. After seeing Louis Gossett Jr. in HBO's Watchmen series last week I had already decided to rewatch The Deep at some point, then he died on Friday. The Deep was the first thing I ever saw him in (or possibly Roots, which was released the same year). In addition to Gossett, the movie features Robert Shaw, Nick Nolte, Jaqueline Bisset, and Eli Wallach. I even had the comic book version at one point, but I have no idea what ever became of it.

54456835616.1.DEEP.gif

220px-The_Deep_movie_poster.jpg

• American Fiction (2023): well-done and frequently clever comedy/drama/satire (won a People's Choice, a BAFTA, and had multiple Oscar nominations) about an African-American professor and writer who pens a parody of overused "Black" tropes in literature, only to have it taken seriously and outsell everything else he has written. Of everything I've seen in the last few days, I recommend this one the most.

Kill Your Darlings (2013): uneven but interesting account of some of the early days of the Beats at Columbia, with Daniel Radcliffe as Ginsberg, plotted around the killing of David Kammerer, an event in which Ginsberg was only a peripheral character. Well-acted.

Moonage Daydream (2022): psychedelic documentary about the life and career of David Bowie. Lots of information, often edited like a dream, Bowie collaged with everything from old cartoons and SF movies to Kubrick. Certain events and people are notably absent.

The Feels (2017): passable indie movie about a lesbian couple having a bachelorette weekend where a revelation throws things off-course. Apparently, much of the dialogue was improvised. The plot is regularly interrupted by "in-world" footage of each attendee discussing their first orgasm. Constance Wu stars as one of the brides-to-be, just before Crazy Rich Asians put her out of the film's budget range. This one came up on recommendations: we were a bit puzzled until we realized the director and every principal actor was involved in something we'd either watched or had in our watchlist.

• I only read the comic book!

• Orphée (1950): Jean Cocteau's bizarre adaptation of the Orpheus myth, set in post-war France. Fascinating and worth a view.

The Poker House (2008): Oddball, indie, disturbing directorial debut for Lori Petty (Tank Girl, Orange is the New Black) tells the semi-fictionalized account of her life in the early 70s as the daughter of a drug-addicted prostitute. The child actors (future stars Jennifer Lawrence, Chloë Grace Moretz, and Sophi Bairley) are excellent; Casey Tutton as mom appears to be a character in a dinner theatre production in hell. The film meanders, following everyone through a day that ends in a devestating, dark, disturbing scene, a small triumph, and an ambiguous ending.

Rumble Fish (1983): A rewatch-- the first time since the film came out. Coppola takes a very literal script of S.E. Hinton's cheesy YA novel, the crew and most of the cast of The Outsiders, and films it like a cross between noir and art house, set in an imaginary twentieth-century. Fascinating to watch, but not entirely satisfying.

• The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1968)
    A Dan Curtis production starring Jack Palance

Many of the reviewers on IMDB said this is the best version they've seen. I completely agree.

Available on Freevee thru Amazon. Full movie is also on YouTube. It was made for TV and no trailer is available.

• Dan Curtis (of Dark Shadows fame) also produced a Dracula TV movie starring Jack Palance. Gene Colan based the Tomb of Dracula version of Dracula on Jack Palance, but he did so before the TV movie.

This reply was deleted.