Movies I Have Seen Lately

Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I recently watched the Dan Curtis Dracula. I think I saw it before because I remember the several Vlad the Impaler visual references. It's a good version of Dracula but IMO not great. The Dan Curtis Jekyll/Hyde is head and shoulders above all other versions.

• FRANKENSTEIN MEETS THE SPACE MONSTER (1965): Some time ago, someone on this board (I don't recall who) recommended three movies: Frankenstein Meets the Space Monster, Women of the Prehistoric Panet and The Wizard of Mars. Lasat night we finally gor arounf to watching the first of them. Speaking for myself, I loved it, but Tracy hated it. It's one of those "so bad it's good" movies, with aliens from outer space coming to Earth to steal our women. The space agency investigates by sending a handsome android robot named "Frank" up in a missile, but the missile is shot down by the aliens and the android is disfigured. His make-up, which looks like clay, covers half his face, with little transistors and doo-dads, including the dial from a transistor radio, stuck on. I think this would make a good candidate for MST3K treatment, but they would have to fill several long sordless sections with dialogue or commentary of their own (but they're good at that).

220px-Frankenstein_Meets_the_Space_Monster.jpg

• WOMEN OF THE PREHISTORIC PLANET (1966): While searching for Women of the Prehistoric Planet we found the similarly-titled Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women (1968). The only version of WotPP avialable was the MST3K version, but that's all right. It's a classic and one of the many early episodes I have not seen. We will probably watch WttPoPW nest (or soon).

220px-Women_of_the_Prehistoric_Planet.jpg

This reply was deleted.