Movies I Have Seen Lately

Saw a Takashi Miike picture called The Great Yokai War. "Yokai" is a Japanese term for monsters from folklore, as opposed to the more familiar kaiju. It's a kids' picture, about a young boy from Tokyo sent out to live in the countryside with his older sister and his intermittently senile grandfather. When a vengeful spirit appears, the boy gets caught up in a war between warring groups of yokai and must find his courage to become the "Kirin Rider", the hero who will set everything to rights. It's not a bad picture - nothing deep, but an amusing story. Some of the yokai are really trippy, Japanese folklore can get pretty "out there", apparently.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• I finally got to see Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire (2024).  It was good, but not great.

• Tracy is out of town this weekend so I put UltraSeven X on hold and watched Shin Ultraman for the first time since seeing it in the theater in 2022. It's very talky, isn't it? I didn't mind so much the first time because I was into the story (and the experience of seeing Ultraman on the big screen for the first time), but I would have liked to have seen more action this time around. The aspect I liked the most this time was the design work. Stylistically I thought it was quite similar to Shin Godzilla. I  liked Shin Ultraman much more than Godzilla x Kong. Godzilla x Kong was just too... much.

• Two blasts from my own past:

The TV show Thriller (1960-62) was hosted by Boris Karloff and it was (hands down) the scariest show on broadcast TV, before or since. A lot of very good and familiar actors were in the episodes. Before becoming a fan of (good) horror movies, I screamed for my parents (on two occasions) who had left the room to talk. Even though it only lasted two seasons, it totaled 67 episodes. I recently bought the complete DVD set. So far, I haven’t pinpointed the episode(s) that freaked me out. I’ve pretty much eliminated all other shows from that time.

12995767501?profile=RESIZE_400x

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0053546/?ref_=nv_sr_srsg_6_tt_8_nm_0_i...

I rewatched the movie The File of the Golden Goose (1969), an anti-counterfeiting movie starring Yul Brynner. I saw it in the Bangkok movie theater on my R&R from You Know Where. The Girlfriend Experience and her two colleagues took me and two other guys from my unit to see it. There is one scene in which typically bald Mr Brynner appears in an orange bath robe. Since everyone in the audience was used to seeing the local Buddhist monks with shaved heads and orange robes, this got quite a reaction. There was a lot of light from the screen, so I was able to see many faces in the audience. The young people all laughed while the older people were somewhat offended.  

12995769687?profile=RESIZE_710x

Thriller (TV Series 1960–1962) ⭐ 8.2 | Crime, Drama, Horror
    50m | TV-PG
  • I watched Hammer's Phantom of the Opera. Despite Michael Gough and Herbert Lom, it's terrible.

Which is not a surprise. This is not a good or interesting story. What made it famous and interesting was Lon Chaney's makeup and reveal in 1925. Every other version is terrible and un-interesting. I even had the Aurora model as a boy, and it was the Chaney version, and I knew even then there was no other version that made a model worthwhile. 

Watch the Big Reveal in the 1925 version, which I did as a boy. That was AWESOME. But nothing else is. 

• I tend to agree.

If you haven't seen it, I recommend Phantom of the Paradise (1974), IMO an entertaining reimagining of the story in the rock and roll world.

Phantom of the Paradise (1974) - IMDb

Phantom of the Paradise (1974) ⭐ 7.3 | Comedy, Drama, Fantasy
      1h 31m | PG
  • The TV show Thriller (1960-62) was hosted by Boris Karloff..

Huh.

I have the six-volume set of the Gold Key comic books released by Dark Horse (starting in 2009), but I didn't even realize Thriller had been a TV show.

87272885088.1.gif

I'll have to keep my eye out for that.

• I bought the set on eBay.

My experience was the opposite of yours, Jeff. Reading the Wikipedia entry for the TV show, I just found out that the comic books I had been posting on the Cover a Day thread were inspired by the TV show.

• Battle Circus (1953)

This was suggested to me by IMDB as another Humphrey Bogart movie. The title doesn’t tell you much. It’s a movie about a MASH unit in Korea, made when the war was still going on. Bogart is a major, #2 in the unit, and just as skilled as Hawkeye Pierce with some nurse-chasing but without the clowning. As for being mobile, they have a lot more people and actually tear everything down and move the MASH closer to the front, using 2 1 / 2 ton trucks. Later they have to move again, protecting their patients and avoiding enemy fire. A very good movie! (Prime, small rental fee) (May also be available on YouTube))  

TRAILER

• I grew up watching M*A*S*H one TV (and the movie and reading the paperbacks) so i really feel I owe it to myself to watch Battle Circus. (I'm a fan of Humphrey Bogart as well.) Last night we watched...

CAPTAIN KRONOS: VAMPIRE HUNTER (1974): We watched this one before, but I didn't remember much about it. It is a Hammer Studios film, intended to have been the first of a series but it never went beyond this initial offering. The vampire is somewhat unusual (it can exist in daylight and does cast a reflection, for example), but absolutely no mention is made of it. Much of the lore is made up for the film (at least I have never encountered it before). For example, Kronos's assistant, Gross, carries a supply of dead frogs, which he buries in boxes and checks on later. A poem explains why he does this.

"If a vampire should bestrode
    Close to the grave of a dead toad
    Then the vampire life shall give
    And suddenly, the toad shall live."

220px-Captainkronosposter.jpg

Cap, if you're still working your way through Hammer films, you may want to give this one a look.

• Nightmare Castle (1965). Original title: Amanti d’Oltretomba. A mad scientist kills his wife (Barbara Steele) and the gardener when he discovers them being naughty together. Then he discovers that his wife left everything to her stepsister (also Steele). It's all very reminiscent of early Dark Shadows.

This reply was deleted.