Here's a challenge for the Legion: recommend a title from the 1990's. It can be from any company, but I put this caveat on it to make it interesting: pick something other than Starman, Sandman, or Incredible Hulk. Pick a long run, or a short one, one storyline, or a single issue, whatever you wish.

Views: 222

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Oh, yes certainly Sandman Mystery Theater, more Steven T. Seagle.
I enjoyed Malibu's Protectors series which was a revival of a bunch of Golden Age heroes (Centaur I believe)
Now Comics Green Hornet
Mentioned earlier Valiant's output was great
Bendis' various Jinx series were terrific. With Torso being the highlight.
Commander Benson said:
Believe it or not, I actually have a recommendation for a title from the '90's.

One of the rare joys of my comics reading of that decade was the short-lived Justice Society of America series of 1992-3, written by Len Strazewski and drawn by Mike Parobeck.

I thought Strazewski did a masterful job of presenting the JSA heroes in just the way a group of veterans would react to situations--with confidence and decisiveness. His dialogue gave them steady voices in crisis and even their light-hearted banter in the midst of action denoted just the kind of "been there, done that" attitudes that people in the game as long as they had would have. Strazewski hit that note perfectly. And I loved it.

The late Mike Parobeck's art perfectly complimented Strazewski's scripts. Parobeck's style was deceptive. At first glance, it seemed cartoony, but if you studied it, you saw strict attention to proper anatomy and dramatic composition. It was more an economy of line than true cartooning. Many other artists have tried to replicate that kind of art, but have never quite achieved his balance.

I enjoyed what Strazewski and Parobeck brought to this title so much that I didn't even mind that it was set in the post-Crisis DC universe.

Thus, I was disappointed when, despite good sales, DC cancelled it after ten issues. As I understand it, JSA was cancelled because editor Mike Carlin (1) disliked both Strazewski's writing and Parobeck's art; and (2) believed that DC should not be publishing the adventures of senior-citizen super-heroes. That always struck me as something like burning a stack of money because you don't like the colour green.

From what I recall, that's pretty much what they did over at the BBC with Doctor Who. TPTB didn't like the show, so they did everything they could to sabotage it and justify canceling it back in the day.

In any event, didn't Parobeck die not too long after the cancellation of the book?
"In any event, didn't Parobeck die not too long after the cancellation of the book?"

The JSA title was cancelled in early 1993. Parobeck died on 02 July 1996, so he would have had three more years on the series---had it, and he, continued.
Two mentions of Parobeck in this thread... The man was quite the talent, wasn't he?
I haven't seen a lot of his work, but I've really liked what I have seen.
I miss the Strazewski/Parobeck Justice Society of America series, as well as Parobeck's Batman Adventures. I always felt the animated-style Batman Adventures books captured the Batman I always wanted to read much more so than any of the in-continuity titles, which fed us an increasing diet of the Bat-Psycho. barf
Travis Herrick said:
I enjoyed Malibu's Protectors series which was a revival of a bunch of Golden Age heroes (Centaur I believe

I wasn't aware of that connection. Cool. Thanks, Travis.
Alan M. said:
• Speaking of Bachalo, I seem to recall enjoying his and Scott Lobdell's Generation X, but I didn't read it frequently enough or recently enough to recommend it.
I'd recommend it. It was a great series. The Lobdell/Bachalo issues ran up until about issue 30 (just looked it up and Bachalo's last issue is 31). There's a reason why this series got a lot of support for the "Comics' Greatest Runs" poll at "Comics Should Be Good" (it finished around 120- #113 actually, I just looked it up).

• Was Tom Peyer and Rags Morales' Hourman from the '90s? I think it was...

Another good one.
A couple more that I don't think have been mentioned yet:

Ostrander and Mandrake's Martian Manhunter series lauched in 1998- the definitive take on the character as far as I'm concerned

Christopher Priest's Black Panther started that same year

I'm surprised that the best Busiek titles haven't been mentioned yet: Astro City, Avengers (with George Perez) and Thunderbolts (with Mark Bagley)

I'll admit to being a New Warriors fan, especially the early issues with Fabian Nicieza and Mark Bagley

Others have mentioned Valiant and Malibu, but how about some love for Milestone? One of my favorite titles of any decade: Dwayne McDuffie's Static.
I thought of another one the other day that I meant to revisit this thread for...

Hellboy, first started in...what? '93?
With my most recent Comics I Bought Today entry, I remembered another title I really enjoyed in the 1990s: Thunderbolts.
At the time, a comic dedicated to villains turning things around was really unusual. And since we were often left guessing whether they were indeed going legit, it provided an additional layer.
Sure, it was a third-tier title for Marvel, but it was a good one!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service