Replies

• I finished The Third Bullet and it was great. About halfway though it turns into two books in one. In the first we are still following Bob Lee Swagger's investigation into the JFK assassination. This alternates with the memoir with the person who actually orchestrated it. A very cool story telling tool.

I appreciated that what Stephen Hunter said the characters did to pull of the assassination would have worked, as the tested it out (they do not recommend other try it though).

Who Moved My Cheese? by Dr. Spencer Johnson - A very short book, that is intended to help people deal with changes in their lives. I think I deal with that pretty well, but I still got value out of it.

I made it about 20 pages into Andrzej Sapkowski's The Tower of Fools. It was just hammering me with the names of people and places that I will never remember. This is by the same author who wrote The Witcher series. Maybe I just wasn't in the right frame of mind...perhaps another time.

I just started The Promise by Robert Crais. Dead bodies, a missing grieving mother, and explosives. I don't know where it is going yet, but I'll sure enjoy the ride.

• "Who Moved My Cheese? by Dr. Spencer Johnson - A very short book, that is intended to help people deal with changes in their lives. I think I deal with that pretty well, but I still got value out of it."

Several years ago, I was forced out of a job I loved into one I hated when my former department was eliminated in a reorg. I mentioned this to my friends over Thanksgiving that year, one of whom had to read that book for a seminar at work. He didn't want it anymore and gave it to me. I did help, but I took my own message from it: "Stop eating cheese." (I transferred to another department where I was happy.) 

• I recently finished Happy Doomsday by David Sosnowski. This story is about 3 teenagers who survice the apocalypse in different parts of the country. Of course they do somehow find each other. This was a pretty good book, and one thing I enjoyed, even if it was pretty disgusting, was actually dealing with the afternath of billions of people dying. The sights, the smells, etc. They all eventually got gas masks whenever they went into a building.

Currently reading:

A Slow Parade in Penderyn by David Hopkins (a buddy of mine). This is the first book in his fantasy series, and I'm really not sure what is going on yet. An orphan is raised by the guildmaster of a city and eventually becomes her assassin. That's as far as I have gotten...

Also, Bleak Seasons by Terry Cook. The first book in the last Black Company series. The character we are following is seemingly bouncing back and forth on the story. After taking over the city of  Dejagore, The Black Company is trying to hold on to it from the mage Shadowspinner. While being led by Mogaba who doesn't have the full support of the company or the citizens of the city. Pretty good so far.

• I finally read the big pop-literary novel of.... uh, 1992, The Secret History. I thought it well-written and certainly worth reading, but I also had some issues with it. And, since it's no spoiler to say that Bunny gets murdered-- we learn that in the prologue-- I can only say that, by the time they finally kill that jackass, I rather sympathized.Honestly, for a novel this famous, I found most of the characterization on the weak side, and none of the principals, whether developed are not, are particularly likeable (some people I've spoken with would replace "particularly" with "even remotely").  However, the novel has many things to recommend it, and I understand its reputation. Thirty years later, it was on a waiting list at the local library, and I'm glad I finally read it. I also can't shake the feeling that I started reading it at some point and stopped. The prologue was really familiar, though what followed was new to me.

Since it has a good deal of reputed intertextuality with Waugh's Brideshead Revisited (1945), a classic I've never read, I've started that.

• I'm also enjoying this groovy beat poetry by Peter Wrexham:

12211961069?profile=RESIZE_710x

12211961893?profile=RESIZE_584x

• xFeziau.gif

So glad that you're digging my muse's inspiration!

(There is, of course, a prosaic reason for those posts, as well as the poetic one.  Do I need to explain what it is?  Hint- to do with the switch to Ning 3.0)

• Oh, I know the actual reason. It was just funny to read down all of those topic posts as though they were some kind of retro-avant-garde poetry. I'm seriously thinking of making a private video and linking it here.

• Batpoem

Man listen to the batmobile's tires on the street,

And the song to his program listen to that beat

Joker, Riddler, Mr Freeze and Zelda the great

Too bad for their terrible, terrible fate.

The Joker's machine with three lemons in a row,

Will put Batman and Robin electric from head to toe,

With Alfred at home and Robin at school,

There's hardly anything left of the "Dynamic Duo"!

The Commissioner is worried and likewise is the chief,

They all hope the crimmanals will turn over a new leaf. (on Life)

Batman and Robin catch all the Raiders

Everyone knows of these "Caped Crusaders."

• I almost posted this link yesterday, but I will today.

Word Song by Syd Barrett.

• TO INFINITY AND BEYOND by Neil DeGrasse Tyson & Lindsey Nyx Walker: I'm not exactly reading this... yet; I bought it only an hour ago. But I've enjoyed reading his three most recent ones and I plan to enjoy this one as well. It's divided into four parts (Leaving Earth, Touring the Sun's Backyard, Into Outer Space and To Infinity and Beyond) but is broken down into small articles which need not be read in any specific order. It contains lots os science and lots of pop culture references as well. I bought a signed copy (by both authors) for six bucks less than cover price.

A MAN'S TURF: THE PERFECT LAWN: I bought this one several years ago, but I'm just reading it for the first time now because I just got a new lawn this Spring. Most of the lawns down here are Bermuda, but I decided to go with Zoysia. (It was either that or St. Augustine.) Better stop now or I'll be talking about my lawn for the rest of the day. the book is philosophical as well as practical.

This reply was deleted.