Back in the Sixties, when the Superman Family were forever meeting/romancing doubles of themselves, I remember editor Mort Weisinger's lettercol telling us more than once that everyone on Earth has 17 doubles (so how many must there be across the universe?). I'm now 45 and have never met anyone unfortunate enough to look like me and am beginning to think he made this up.

Any more dubious facts?

Views: 258

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mark Sullivan said:
I'm rereading The Invisibles, and one of its plot points is the supposed Mayan date for the Apocalypse (Dec. 21, 2012). I read the issue where it was first mentioned a few weeks ago and did some research on it...just days before all the 2012 stuff hit the news in a big way. Although it has surfaced a few times in the last few years.

If you listen to "Coast to Coast AM," it's talked about all the time.
People keep asking me if I'm a cop from the next town over.
PowerBook Pete said:
People keep asking me if I'm a cop from the next town over.

Oh. Are you?
Not that I recall, no.
I learnt you can crush coal and turn it into a diamond.
I learnt from a Wonder Woman feature page that if you go to sleep with a bowl of water containing a gerbil under the pillow, you will dream about the man you will marry.

Or drown.
I may be the most generic looking person on the planet. I am constantly told I "look exactly like someone" else. Perhaps my enormous number of doubles lifts the average to 17?
Martin Gray said:
I learnt from a Wonder Woman feature page that if you go to sleep with a bowl of water containing a gerbil under the pillow, you will dream about the man you will marry.

Or drown.

Y'know, I hadn't read many Wonder Woman stories before George Pérez took over the title -- a dozen at the most -- and I still haven't read many from the time before he started. But most of the ones I have read give new meanings to the word "bizarre."
"William Moulton Marston bizarre", or "Robert Kanigher bizarre"?
They're all bizarre.

The other day, I picked up Wonder Woman: The Greatest Stories Ever Told at a yard sale for two bucks. I haven't finished it -- I started with the last story in the book, one by Phil Jiminez from 2001 or so in which Lois Lane follows Diana around all day for a feature -- and then turned to the front of the book. The first, naturally, is the origin story from Sensation Comics.

The second one is by William Moulton Marston and Harry Peters, and it begins with Wonder Woman and the Amazons capturing an attack force from Saturn (in a battle that seemed to have happened in a previous story). All the men soldiers are bound in chains and sent back to Saturn, but the women soldiers plead not to go back because they will be put into slavery. So the Amazons bind each of the Saturn women in "Venus girdles" AND tie them up in Wonder Woman's golden lasso. The Venus girdles, while being worn, change the wearer's evil nature and makes them "submit to loving authority."

However, the leader of the Saturn army fakes a coma, and while Wonder Woman runs off to get the Purple Ray to revive her, an Amazon removes the Venus girdle, unties the lasso and leaves her alone -- giving her the opportunity to jam the lock on the girdle and steal the lasso! (She wraps it around her arm, under her sleeve.)

Wonder Woman is baffled that her lasso is missing, but "revives" the Saturn leader, who later stages a jail break, and all the Saturn women get the drop on the Amazons, put the Venus girdles on them and lock them away. And with the lasso, she ties up Queen Hyppolyte and instructs her to have Wonder Woman return to Paradise Island. Wonder Woman is captured and she and her mother are both tied to a pole with the lasso AND chained to it with flaming links that burn hotter as they clinch tighter.

Somewhere along the way, Steve Trevor gets captured and chained up and it tortured until his shirt is shredded (he's there to sell them several U.S. Navy surplus submarines) ... Wonder Woman is still tied up and is in a rowboat with the Saturn leader and other villains, and she tries to escape by capsizing the boat, but then -- still tied up, mind you -- has to rescue the Saturn leader because she can't swim ... and Etta Candy and the Holliday Girls are put into a machine that de-evolutionizes them, but it's faulty, so they wind up with ape bodies, but human heads ...

... and THEN it gets weird!

Unfortunately (or not), that (besides the origin) is the only Marston story in the book. But I don't know if I could handle any more.
Ah come on, you'll never be able to resist the Wonder Woman Chronicles come February!
ClarkKent_DC said:
BR>
Unfortunately (or not), that (besides the origin) is the only Marston story in the book. But I don't know if I could handle any more.

Yeah, the Wonder Woman Archives are some tough sledding.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Dave Palmer replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"Ani-Men"
55 seconds ago
Dave Palmer replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"Do these guys count as a team? &"
3 minutes ago
The Baron replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"The Death-Throws"
20 minutes ago
Randy Jackson replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"Added. Also added the Madmen. "
42 minutes ago
"The Terrible Five The Awesome Foursome"
44 minutes ago
Rob Staeger (Grodd Mod) replied to Captain Comics's discussion This Week in Comics: Aug. 8-14, 2022
"Oh, wow -- a new Blacksad book! That's great news!"
54 minutes ago
Randy Jackson replied to Randy Jackson's discussion The List of Super Villain Teams
"Updated.  Also added U-Foes and Wrecking Crew"
1 hour ago
"The Frightful Four The Brotherhood of Dada The Fearsome Five The Masters of Disaster The Monster…"
1 hour ago
"The Headmen The Circus of Crime"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to The Baron's discussion Movies I Have Seen Lately
"ROCKIN' IN THE ROCKIES (1945): Unlike the Three Stooges' previous feature-length films,…"
2 hours ago
"List updated"
2 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"The original cover gives a more cynical view of carnies than the digest reprint:"
3 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service