THE CAPTAIN'S COMMENTS

Barry Windsor-Smith: Monsters HC

Fantagraphics | $39.99

Writer/Art: Barry Windsor-Smith

I had never heard of this book until recently, despite the PR telling me that BWS has been working on it for 35 years. (35 years!!?!) Nor have I read a review copy, nor have I seen a preview.

And the premise seems a little derivative. It's basically a Project Rebirth gone wrong, where the U.S. military continues a Nazi genetics program to create ... well, I'm guessing a Super-Soldier, although the press release doesn't use that phrase. Anyway, the result is what the title promises.

But it's got Barry Windsor-Smith art. I became a fan of Barry Smith in 1970s Conan the Barbarian, and he's only gotten better since. So I'm gonna get it. What choice do I have?

Batman/Superman #17

DC Comics | 32 pages | $3.99 | Card Stock variant $4.99

Writer: Gene Luen Yang | Art/Cover: Ivan Reis, Danny Miki | Card Stock variant: Rodolfo Migliari

I'm still not sure I understand the premise of this book. It appears that it will features the stars of the Batman and Superman movie serials of the 1940s, and that they're calling where they came from Earth-0 (which I thought was the main DCU). But I'm not sure. So instead of vamping, I'm just gonna post the press release and preview I received:

"Best-selling writer Gene Luen Yang and award-winning artist Ivan Reis started their run on BATMAN/SUPERMAN with a bang in issue #16, weaving together not one, but TWO tales into one titanic issue. Yang and Reis wield the medium itself to tell the story of two universes, reminiscent of much-beloved DC film serials, colliding into one: Superman’s World of Tomorrow, and Batman’s World of the Night! The issue ended with the appearance of a brand-new villain, and a surprise that left readers’ jaws on the cutting room floor!

"In this preview of BATMAN/SUPERMAN #17 (on sale Tuesday, April 27) Yang and Reis take the 'World’s Finest' heroes down the rabbit hole to find an alternate reality where they’ve never met, a reality created by a mysterious new enemy!

"In a world where Superman’s rocket never reached Earth, the Dark Knight and his sidekick discover a startling rift between dimensions. On the other side: A world where Martha Wayne survived, and Bruce never grew up to be Batman! Not only that, but a strange alien has emerged from the rift who’s faster than a locomotive and can leap tall buildings in a single bound... the Superman of Metropolis! When these worlds collide, the architects of this alternate history are revealed, and the only ones who can thwart their deadly experiments are the Batman and Superman of Earth-0! It’s a dynamic dual-world adventure!"

Beatnik Buenos Aires GN

Fantagraphics | 96 pages | $19.99

By Diego Arandojo & Facundo Percio

As I get older I find myself as interested, historically, in the time immediately before I became self-aware as I am of times farther afield than that. That is to say, I find the testosterone-filled, John Wayne-informed, early 1960s Western/American culture to be as exotic as, say, Napoleonic France or ancient Egypt. And those days are even more important than ancient times in how they informed Silver Age comic books.

To those who say the late 1950s/early 1960s not all that different than today, I say: You are not wholly wrong, as toxic masculinity still wields considerable influence. But you're not wholly right, either. Watch Mad Men and see if how those people behave would be acceptable today. 

Another thing, which may be my imagination, but from this distance it seems Latin influences had a higher profile then. Dr. No was set in the Caribbean, for instance, Cuba was a popular vacation spot (before the 1958 revolution), the bossa nova sound was big ("Girl from Ipanema," etc.), Carmen Miranda had a career, etc. This book falls into that continuum, and I'm curious to see if it informs my vague theory.

So, I'm lusting after this book, as historians lust after Norse burial grounds or Egyptian tombs. I am weird.

Bettie Page: Queen of the Nile TPB

Dynamite | 104 pages | Teen+ | $17.99

Writer/Art/Cover: Jim Silke | Art: Jim Silke

I got about 1/4 through this book before deciding it wasn't really my thing. But it might be yours!

The premise is that Bettie Page is accidentally sent back in time to the Egypt of roughly 68 BC, where Dynamite helpfully informs us, "she wiggles and squirms and bumps and grinds to avoid their evil clutches, but she can't avoid the inevitable: Everyone falls in love with her and she manages to frequently lose her clothes."

Yes, it's a soft-core (Teen+) sex farce, with the standard "Little Annie Fanny" naif as a lead character, who occasionally looks like Bettie Page (when the artist gets it right). As I said, it's not for me. But if sex farce works for you, this likely will: The art is excellent and the setting unusual.

Cold Dead Hands TPB

Source Point Press | $9.99

Writer: Garrett Gunn | Art: Lee Milewski | Cover: Christopher Williams

The very brief description kinda suggests a riff on The Hands of Orlac, but that's really all I know. I do like the cover art, though, which was reason enough to mention it.

Commanders in Crisis Vol 1 TPB

Image Comics | 144 pages | Mature | $16.99

Writer: Steve Orlando | Art/Cover A: Davide Tinto

I never read the individual issues that make up this collection, even though they sounded right up my alley. The idea, I thought, is that a bunch of survivors from a "Crisis on Infinite Worlds" event end up on the last remaining Earth and team up to save it. I trade-waited, and then the trade came, and I read it.

It was not what I expected. It's more touchy-feely and is too demonstrably woke for me to fully enjoy. I don't want to make a thing out of that, as I generally agree with concepts like tolerance and inclusiveness. But the After-School Special vibe put me off.

The Curie Society TPBMIT Press | 168 pages | Teen | 6.5” x 9.3125” | $18.95

Writer: Janet Harvey | Illustrators: Sonia Liao and Johanna Taylor

Aaaaand here we go again.

This book is also virtue-signaling so much it should have its own lighthouse. But in this case, I approve.

For one thing, there's an actual story. Cliched, yes, and all-too-familiar for older comics readers. But for the target audience of this book, it might be the first time they see three disparate people who look like them learn to overcome their personal friction to combine their skills in order to achieve a goal.

(Yeah, nothing new here, older readers.)

The three people are all girls, and multi-culti. They're being inducted into the "Curie Society," a clandestine, Illuminati-style group that the famous scientist whose name it bears created to let girls fly their skill flag in a patriarchal world.

There aren't enough books to inspire girls about math and other skills (although that's changing), so I welcome this one.

Cyberpunk 2077: You Have My Word #1 (of 4)

Dark Horse | $3.99

Writer: Bartosz Sztybor | Art/Cover: Jesus Hervas

Here's a book based on a video game I don't play, because I stopped playing video games around the time of "Space Invaders." Yes, I am old.

But since I don't play the game, I don't know what's going on here. Most people have some sort of metal prosthesis (arm, leg, the occasional neck), which I guess explains the cyberpunk part. The rest is some sort of crime noir drawn in mid-'80s British style.

I couldn't find a reason or character to follow, and zoned out early. That might be a reflection of my geriatric sensibility, or it could be a reflection of poor storytelling.

It's not for me. If you're a player, let me know if it's any good.

Dejah Thoris: Winter’s End one-shot

Dynamite | 32 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

Writer: Dan Abnett | Art: Roberto Castro | Cover A: Joseph Michael Linsner | Cover B: Sebastian Piriz | Cover C: Roberto Castro | Cover D: Tatiana Neva Cosplay Cover

I found myself enjoying this more than I thought I would.

I don't normally buy Dejah Thoris comics, because of the sexy covers, like the one above. I know, I know — that's supposed to be a selling point! But I want a story, not just half-dressed girls, and a number of publishers (looking at you, Zenescope) think the latter is sufficient to support a title. So I tend to steer clear of books that seem to use T&A as the main draw.

But what do you know, there is an actual story behind the sexy covers! Evidently, a lot has been happening on Barsoom in the years I haven't been reading Dynamite's John Carter books, and where we are now is A) Dejah is queen of Mars (a "jeddara" or somesuch), B) everybody's aware the planet's dying and are, for a change, sorta pulling in the same direction, and C) both John Carter and the couple's son — Dejon? Cartoris? Something like that — were brainwashed by an evil witch and are just now starting to regain their memories (so are, for adventure-story purposes, effectively sidelined). 

That makes this, as is becoming more the norm than not, a grrl-power book. Which is fine. I loved Dejah in the Edgar Rice Burroughs books, and I love her here. Benching the super-powered John Carter just gives her more room to shine.

Detective Comics #1035

DC Comics | 40 Pages | $4.99 | Card Stock variant: $5.99

Writer: Mariko Tamaki | Art/Cover: Dan Mora| Card Stock variant: Lee Bermejo

I'm not really sure why DC thought this issue was worth a press release, but I bring it up here because they did.

It does introduce a new Bat-foe, Mr. Worth. Maybe that's why they've set off the signal, which I've just remembered, is Grail-shaped.

Department of Truth #8

Image Comics | 32 pages | Mature | $3.99

Writer: James Tynion IV | Art/Cover A: Martin Simmonds | Cover B: Bill Sienkiewicz | Cover C: Skottie Young

I haven't been following this series, but Image thought the new storyline was worth pushing with a press release. So I read it.

And I have to say, I'm going to have to go back and read the first seven issues. It's really pretty good.

The premise is that any conspiracy theory can come true if enough people believe in it, so there's a covert government agency dedicated to scotching those beliefs before a giant Spaghetti Monster starts flying over Austin. Yeah, that's the ironically named "Department of Truth" in the title.

And they can't fix anything by just, you know, shooting people, or locking them up. That just reinforces belief among the survivors by creating martyrs. So they have to use media, and personal contact, and other soft power. That's interesting.

And there are some terrible people in the government's employ, like an older guy named "Lee." He's up to something, and whatever it is, it's bad. My first thought was "Lee Atwater," and so far I'm not wrong. But whoever he is, if anybody, this is a story very of and about our times.

For example, this issue begins where a novice agent is called back from Antarctica where he was dealing with the "ice wall" created by sufficient numbers of flat-earth believers. That was a throwaway bit — maybe it was important in earlier issues, I don't know — but it had me laughing before the story ever began, so Tynion snagged me early.

Friend of the Devil: A Reckless Book HC

Image Comics | $24.99

Writer: Ed Brubaker | Art: Jacob Phillips | Art/Cover: Sean Phillips

Brubaker and Phillips are the best at what they do. And what they do is crime noir.

Hack/Slash Deluxe Edition Vol 1 HC

Image Comics | 448 pages | 7.5" x 11.1"/ Mature | $49.99

Writer/Cover: Tim Seeley | Art: Stefano Caselli

I've never read this title regularly, which is actually a series of titles, miniseries and one-shots. But I'm familiar with the premise, which launches from the "Last Girl" trope in modern horror movies — only this time, the Last Girl decides to aggressively pursue the slashers in modern horror movies and end them before they can hurt anybody else. Apparently she is aided in this enterprise by a ridiculously tiny, J. Scott Campbell-type outfit and some sort of monster aide-de-camp.

I do plan to read about it though, and I'm alerting y'all to its existence right now.

Helm Greycastle #1 (of 4)Image Comics | 40 pages | Teen+ | $4.99

Writer: Henry Barajas | Art/Cover A: Rahmat Handoko, Bryan Valenza | Cover B: David Lapham | Cover C: Tony Parker | Cover D: Becky Cloonan

Two barbarians, a magic-user, a dwarf and an elf walk into a bar ...

I read this, and it read like a D&D game I played once. That's not necessarily a recommendation.

Jeanne & Modigliani: Paris in the Dark GN

Black Panel Press | $24.00

Writer/Art/Cover: Nadine Van der Straeten

I stumbled on this inadvertently, as it was not included in Diamond's initial lists for this week. But I'm glad I did, because I really like this kind of stuff.

And what this "stuff" is, is European material exploring art history. I took one course in art history in college and was bored out of my mind. But this stuff is actually interesting, especially when you zoom in on the artist and the social/political environment in which he/she worked.

So here's some of that, which I can't wait to read. Especially since it's European, which means there's going to be some sex here and there, even when the story doesn't call for it.

What, I can't be shallow sometimes?

The Marvels #1This is exactly what I was hoping for when Marvel launched the six-issue Marvel Snapshots a while back: an ongoing look at the Marvel Universe throughout history with the sort of story inspired by Kurt Busiek's Astro City. And not only is it here, it's better than I'd hoped, because Kurt Busiek himself will be writing it.

If you haven't read Astro City (and if you haven't, why are you here?), it's a series of series, miniseries and one-shots exploring the titular city, which is inhabited by super-people of varying stripes. Some are clearly homages to existing characters — The Samaritan is a Superman analog, the First Family is so Fantastic Four it doesn't require explanation — but others are original, or sort-of original. For example, the Spider-Man analog is a clown hero with clown-based gimmicks. And the Batman analog is a vampire.

But it's not just pastiche. There are tons of throwaway concepts, characters and events that are purely from Busiek's head. And they are "throwaway" because Busiek doesn't focus on these inspired characters, but on the effects they have on ordinary people. These are fascinating human-interest stories with a fantasy slant, like what Ray Bradbury used to do so well.

Busiek won't have the freedom at Marvel he did with his own characters, but I'm confident that the Busiek magic will be just as effective stringing together connective tissue between man and superman when foraging through the shadows and panel gutters of the Marvel Universe. Especially when he can set any story in any time, from the beginning of the universe, to World War II, to the present.

Like Marvels, a forerunner to this series, Busiek is at his best when he's writing about ordinary people caught up in the fallout of extraordinary moments. I'm going to tradewait, so you may read these stories before I do. But it's going to be so hard!

Miles Morales Spider-Man #25

Marvel Comics | Teen | $4.99

Writer: Saladin Ahmed | Art: Carmen Carnero | Cover/Wraparound Cover: Taurin  Clarke | Heroes Reborn variant: Carlos Pacheco | Skyline variant: Mark Bagley | Deadpool 30th Anniversary variant: Rob Liefeld | Variant: Jeffrey Veregge

Marvel is clearly excited by this issue, if we're judging by the number of press releases (2). I don't know why; the original "Clone Saga" is one of the most reviled and mocked events of the last 30 years. But they're playing that card again with Miles Morales, because, uh ... tradition?

Modern Frankenstein #1

Heavy Metal | $3.99

Writer:  Paul Cornell | Cover: Pippa Bowland | Art/Cover: Emma Vieceli

Wait, this is produced by Heavy Metal? Then where are the barbarian women? The dragons? The boobs?

Evidently they're hanging this series around the writer and artist, who have worked on Doctor Who for TV. I hate to say it, but just because they're good doing TV stuff doesn't mean they're going to be good here, in an entirely different medium. And the art is kinda bland.

Well, see for yourself:

My Little Pony/Transformers II #1 (of 4)

IDW Publishing | 32 pages | 43.99

Writers: James Asmus, Sam Maggs • Art: Jack Lawrence, Casey W. Coller | Cover A: Tony Fleecs | Cover B: Bethany McGuire-Smith | 1:10 incentive variant: Jon Gray | 1:25 incentive variant: Anna Malkova

FC • 32 pages • $3.99

I'm not a "Brony," so I'm not interested in this. But maybe you are. I'm not judging.

Robin #1

DC Comics | 32 pages | Teen | $3.99 | Card Stock variant $4.99

Writer: Joshua Williamson | Art/Cover: Gleb Melnikov | Wraparound variant: Gleb Melnikov | Card Stock variant: Andy Kubert | 1:25 variant cover by Riccardo Federici

I think I've mentioned on this site before that I hated Damian Wayne at first, but then he grew into one of my favorite characters.

The dislike arose when this snotnose kid was trying to tell Batman his business, and was killing people even though his Dad told him not to.

But then writers established that his attitude was entirely a front. In fact, it was the kind of thing a kid with a famous father would do at that age because he is insecure. And then he started teaming up with the Jon Kent Superboy, who had actual super-powers, but was technically younger ... wow, this kid had some issues.

And it was great fun. I love Damian Wayne now, because I empathize with him.

So here he is in his own series, having burned bridges with both his father and the Teen Titans. His mother, Talia al-Ghul, has convened a tournament for some nefarious purpose. And Damian sees the only way to stop it is to call his father.

No, no, just kidding! He's going to try to win the tournament!

This is gonna be fun.

RWBY/JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 (of 7)

Writer: Marguerite Bennett | Art: Aneke | Cover: Mirka Andolfo | Card Stock variant: TBD

DC Comics | 32 pages | $3.99 | Card Stock $4.99

"RWBY/Justice League combines Rooster Teeth’s Popular Manga/Anime Series with DC’s Legendary Super Heroes!"

Not only is this another book involving video games I don't play, but it's apparently sold out at the wholesale level and coming back with a 2nd Ptg. Must be a lot of interest. Here's a preview (for a book I will never read):

Shadowman (2020) #1

Valiant Comics | 32 pages | Teen+ | $3.99

Writer: Cullen Bunn | Art: Jon Davis-Hunt | Colors: Jordie Bellaire | Letters: Clayton Cowles | Cover A: Jon Davis-Hunt | Cover B: Rod Reis | Cover C: Dave Johnson Pre-order Variant: Tony Moore | 1:250 variant: Jeff Dekal

I like the premise of the series, of a human who has to stand between "Deadside" and the living world, but not enough to actually buy it. Evidently enough other comics fans feel the same, because Shadowman to date hasn't been able to support a series for any length of time.

But, you know, neither could Dr. Strange either, until he got a movie. And this another-in-a-series Shadowman re-launch deserves attention, because it's good.

Snatched #1

Scout Comics | $3.99

Writer: Sheldon Allen | Pencils: Mauricio Campetella | Colors: Warna K. Sahadewa | Letters: Matt Bowers

This is a book about the illegal hair trade, which I confess I didn't know was a thing. Perhaps I lead a sheltered existence. Or perhaps I don't pay attention to hair-related news, given that I have so little.

Anyway, according to this title, the illegal hair trade is every bit as awful and deadly as the illegal drug trade. It has above-average art (see below) so Snatched might be interesting. I'll revisit when they release a TPB.

Spider-Man: Curse of the Man-Thing #1 Marvel Comics | ???

Writer: Steve Orlando | Art: Marco Failla | Cover: Daniel Acuña | Variant: Nick Bradshaw

Part two of the "Curse of the Man-Thing," a story being told in three one-shots. It began in Avengers: Curse of the Man-Thing #1 last month and will conclude in X-Men: Curse of the Man-Thing #1 in May.

I confess, it's making me nostalgic for the days when Steve Gerber was writing Man-Thing. Back when the world was young and full of possibility. (Sob!)

Stargazer TPB

Mad Cave Studios | $17.99

Writer: Anthony Cleveland | Art/Cover: Antonio Fuso

The problem I find with small indies is that their titles often have good, sometimes great, ideas hobbled by mediocre, even amateurish, art. No offense to Mr. Fuso, but that's the case here — at least, according to my taste in art.

Which not everyone shares. Fortunately Mad Cave has provided this video, so you can decide for yourself:

Summoner’s War Legacy #1

Image Comics | 32 pages | Teen | $3.99

Writer: Justin Jordan | Art: Luca Claretti | Colors: Giovanna Niro | Letters: Deron Bennett

I'm beginning to feel that not being a video game player is starting to disqualify me as a comic book reviewer. Because here's another comic book based on a video game that I don't play, so I really can't judge it according to the standards of the target market (i.e., "Summoner's War" players).

Well, this is by Skybound, so the quality is probably good. That's all I got. Oh, and this preview:

Trots and Bonnie HC

New York Review Books | $39.95

Writer/Art/Cover: Shary Flenniken

I remember finding "Trots and Bonnie" both hilarious and filthy when I was reading it in National Lampoon back in the day. But I have to mention that I wasn't old enough back in the day to be buying National Lampoon in Memphis, where it was kept behind the counter. (Don't ask me where I got it.) Anyway, the point is that I was pretty young, so take my assessment with a salt mine. What was "filthy" then is probably considerably less so from today's perspective, and what was "hilarious" to a 12 year old might not hold up.

Nevertheless, if I see a copy I'll probably flip through it long enough to decide to buy it. The combination of turn-of-the-last-century comic strip aesthetic with modern takes on sex is a winning combo.

V for Vendetta book and mask set new editionDC Black Label | Ages 17+ | $34.99

Writer: Alan Moore | Art/Cover: David Lloyd

Already got the book. I just want the mask.

The Vain Vol 1 TPB

Oni Press | $19.99

Writer: Eliot Rahal | Art: Emily Pearson

Before I even looked this one up I assumed from the title we were talking about good-looking vampires. And sure enough we are: four of 'em. They're also, apparently, blood bank robbers, and have been so since the '20s, which we see in flashback. But robbing blood banks is getting harder these days, which means our "heroes" have to try something new.

That's really all I can glean from Oni's literature. But Oni is pretty selective in what they publish, so it's probably better than the derivative description and mediocre cover would indicate.

THE FULL LIST

BOOM! Studios

Abbott 1973 #4 (of 5)

BRZRKR #1 3rd Ptg

BRZRKR #2

Buffy the Vampire Slayer Legacy Edition Vol 4 TPB

Dune: House Atreides #6 (of 12)

Firefly #28

Magic the Gathering #1 2nd Ptg

Once & Future #18

Power Rangers #6

Dark Horse Comics

Critical Role Vox Machina Origins III #2 (of 6)

Cyberpunk 2077: You Have My Word #1 (of 4)

Dragon Age: Dark Fortress #2 (of 3)

DC Comics

Action Comics #1030

Batman: Black & White #5

Batman/Superman #17

Batman/Superman Vol 2: World's Deadliest GN

Dceased Dead Planet GN

Detective Comics #1035

Harley Quinn #2

Hellblazer: Rise and Fall GN

JLA: The Tower of Babel — The Deluxe Edition

Robin #1

Suicide Squad: Bad Blood

Teen Titans Academy #2

Dynamite

Bettie Page: Queen of the Nile TPB

Dejah Thoris: Winter’s End one-shot

Vampirella vs. Purgatori #2

Vengeance of Vampirella Vol 1: Rebirth TPB

IDW Publishing

GI Joe: A Real American Hero #280

My Little Pony/Transformers II #1 (of 4)

Steve Canyon Vol 11 1967-1968 HC

Usagi Yojimbo Vol 2 Homecoming TPB

Usagi Yojimbo: Wanderer’s Road #6 (of 6)

Image Comics

Bitter Root #12

Commanders in Crisis Vol 1 TPB

Crossover #6

Deadly Class #45

Department of Truth #8

Friend of the Devil: A Reckless Book HC

Geiger #1 2nd Ptg

Gideon Falls Vol 6 TPB

Hack/Slash Deluxe Edition Vol 1 HC

Helm Greycastle #1 (of 4)

Outcast by Kirkman & Azaceta #48

Redneck Vol 5 TPB

Shadecraft #1 2nd Ptg

Shadecraft #2

Spawn #317

Stray Dogs #2 2nd Ptg

Summoner’s War Legacy #1

Tartarus Vol 2 TPB

Two Moons #3

Marvel Comics

Alien #1 2nd

Beta Ray Bill #2 (of 5)

Black Widow #6

Cable #10

Champions: Worlds Collide TPB

Fantastic Four #31

Immortal Hulk Vol 3 HC

Miles Morales Spider-Man #25

MODOK: Head Games #4 (of 4)

New Mutants #17

Savage Avengers #20

Silk #2 (of 5)

Spider-Man: Curse of the Man-Thing #1

Star Wars: Darth Vader #11

Star Wars: Empire 40th Anniversary #1

The Marvels #1

Untold Tales Spider-Man Omnibus HC

US Agent #5 (of 5)

Wolverine Epic Collection: Madripoor Nights TPB New Ptg

X-Men Legends #3

Comics & Graphic Novels

20 Fists #1 (of 3)

Archie Jumbo Comics Digest #319

Ascencia #4

Ascendance of a Bookworm Vol 05 Part 1 GN

Attack on Titan Vol 33 GN

Backtrack Vol 2 TPB

Bakemonogatari Vol 8 GN

Barry Windsor-Smith Monsters HC

Beatnik Buenos Aires GN

Bedtime Stories Impressionable Children Annual #1

Belle: King of Serpents one-shot

Black Sand Beach Vol 2: Do You Remember Summer Before GN

Bottom Tier Bureaucrat for 1500 Years Vol 1 GN

Bug Bites TPB

Candy Color Paradox Vol 5 GN

Carpenter Tales Scifi Hell #1 (of 8)

Cerebus The Duck one-shot

Chasing After Aoi Koshiba Vol 1 GN

Cold Dead Hands TPB

Cold Dead War #2 (of 4)

Cult of Dracula #2 (of 6)

Daily Lives of High School Boys Vol 5 GN

Damned Cursed Children #4 (of 5)

Dead End Kids Suburban Job #4 (of 4)

Destiny Lovers Vol 6 GN

Destiny Ny #2

Diorama 7 Vol 1 TPB

Dragon Path Vol 1 GN

Dungeon of Black Company Vol 6 GN

E Ratic #5

Eighth Immortal #4 (of 4)

Era of Great Wonders #5 (of 6)

Frank at Home on the Farm #4

Galactic Rodents of Mayhem #1

Grimm Universe Presents Quarterly Steampunk

Happy Hour #6

Hatchet Vengeance #3

Hellwitch Hellbourne #1 Black & White Edition

Hi Score Girl Vol 6 GN

Hokusai Graphic Biography

I Breathed a Body #4

I’m the Catlord’s Manservant Vol 1 GN

Jeanne & Modigliani Paris in the Dark GN

King of Eden Vol 3 GN

Kino’s Journey: Beautiful World Vol 8 GN

Lady Death Swimsuit one-shot

Loud House 3-in-1 Vol 4 GN

Love & Rockets Magazine #10

Manly Appetites Minegishi Loves Otsu Vol 2 GN

Miranda in Maelstrom #5

Mirka Andolfo’s Unsacred Vol 2 #6

Modern Frankenstein #1

Ninjas & Robots #6

Nottingham #1 (of 5) 2nd Ptg

Nuclear Family #3

Parallel Paradise Vol 5 GN

Penny GN

Plot Vol 2 TPB

Renoir GN

Rickety Stitch & Gelatinous Goo Vol 3 Battle of the Bards GN

Robonic Stooges Return #1

Sci-Fi & Fantasy Oil Painting Masterclass SC

Shadow Doctor #3

Shadow Service #7

Shadowman (2020) #1

Skeleton Knight in Another World Vol 6 GN

Snatched #1

Splatoon Squid Kids Comedy Show Vol 3 GN

Squidding Around Vol 2 Class Clown Fish GN

Stake #2

Stargazer TPB

Starring Sonya Devereaux: Death Team 5 #1

Steam Wars: W Soundtrack CD HC

Super Hxeros Vol 2 GN

Tarot: Witch of the Black Rose #127

The Underfoot Vol 2 TPB

The Vain Vol 1 TPB

Trots and Bonnie HC

Vampblade #50 (of 50)

Villainous TPB

Warcorns: Combat Unicorns for Hire #4 (of 4)

Weathering with You Vol 3 GN

Witchblood #1 2nd Ptg

Witchblood #2

Yokai Girls Vol 13 GN

Your Turn to Die Vol 1 GN

Zombie Tramp #79

Zorro in the Land that Time Forgot #4

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• MONSTERS:

"I had never heard of this book until recently..."

I started a discussion HERE. It was supposed to ship January 27. If it's finally coming out this week, I couldn't be more pleased.

BETTIE PAGE - QUEEN OF THE NILE:

"I got about 1/4 through this book before deciding it wasn't really my thing."

This is a reprint of a 20+ year old limited series. I got one issue in before deciding it wasn't really my thing.

09965764704.1.gif?profile=RESIZE_710x

• I do play video games, Cap. Apparently, nothing I play gets turned into a comic book. That being said I did read Cyberpunk 2077: Trauma Team, and I enjoyed it. It had a Judge Dredd feel to it.

I have been enjoying Department of Truth, very good.

I think I ordered Monsters, but I'm not sure.

• I'm a fan of Department of Truth also. Looking forward to the second collection.

• Jeff of Earth-J said:

MONSTERS:

"I had never heard of this book until recently..."

I started a discussion HERE. It was supposed to ship January 27. If it's finally coming out this week, I couldn't be more pleased.

Now that you mention it, I did see your post back in November. Which was six months ago. I can't remember what I had for breakfast, much less something that I read six months ago! Anyway, sorry I didn't acknowledge your post.

• Oh, please! I didn't post that link to "call you out" on it. I know you're busy these days. I bought my copy of Monsters today, and I'm going to be bumping that discussion up just as soon as I find time to read it.

• Yikes! That was a genuine response, and there was no subtext to it. Print doesn't include shrugs.

Anyway, let me slap this PR in here, just to get it out of my mail:

GET YOUR FIRST LOOK AT THE BIGGEST NIGHT IN THE HISTORY OF MUTANKIND WITH THE HELLFIRE GALA GUIDE

Available digitally and at your local comic shop this Wednesday

8872872091?profile=RESIZE_710xNew York, NY— April 27, 2021 — This June, Marvel fans everywhere are invited to the HELLFIRE GALA! Running through 12 issues of your favorite X-Men titles, the HELLFIRE GALA will be a first-of-its-kind X-Men crossover that will reveal the status quo-shaking plans the X-Men have for the Marvel Universe. And this Wednesday, fans can get a first look at this highly-anticipated event with the HELLFIRE GALA GUIDE.

Available digitally and at participating comic shops, the HELLFIRE GALA GUIDE provides exclusive first looks at some of the high fashion designs that the characters will be wearing on the green carpet, an interview with the hostess herself, Emma Frost, and more! Check with your local comic shop for availability and stay tuned for more exciting HELLFIRE GALA reveals in the weeks ahead! 

• I just finished reading Monsters from start to finish. It took me about seven hours with only short breaks. If the premise sounds derivative to you let me assure you: it's not. No Hulk or Captain America comic was ever like this. Monsters would not have been published by Marvel in anything close to this form. (Just look at BWS's Lifedeath "part three" if you don't believe me.) I can't wait for others to read it! It absolutely blew me away. I'll have more to say about it tomorrow. I've got let it sink in a bit now. 

• Abu in the Bettie Page preview is drawn to look like the actor Sabu.

• Interesting, Luke. I wouldn't have caught that, never having seen Thief of Baghdad.

As to Monsters, it's on my To-Read Pile, and rather close to the top! I finished EC Archives: Shock Illustrated last night, and started something else, but Monsters is close behind. Can't wait!

This reply was deleted.