BOOM! STUDIOS

ALL NEW FIREFLY #7

GRIM #4

MAGIC AJANI GOLDMANE #1

MAGIC THE GATHERING VOL 2

REGARDING MATTER OF OSWALD’S BODY TP

WYND: THRONE IN SKY #1

Story: James Tynion IV | Art/Cover: Michael Dialynas | $5.99

The WYND saga continues in this epic new volume from Eisner Award winner James Tynion IV (Batman, Something is Killing the Children) and artist Michael Dialynas (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), the GLAAD Award-winning creative team behind The Woods.

The land of Esseriel has grown darker and more dangerous, as tensions between the human and faerie realms threaten to erupt into all-out war. Could Wynd be the only hope for peace? And what will his destiny be if he truly is one of the legendary WINGED ONES?

Prepare to embark on an extraordinary fantasy adventure, and discover a world of mysterious legends, ancient prophecies, and the brave heroes at the center of it all!

DARK HORSE COMICS

AZTEC ACE: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION HC

Story: Doug Moench| Art: Various | $79.99

Aztec Ace, the cult classic from the mind of comics legend Doug Moench (Batman, Moon Knight, Master of Kung Fu), is reprinted for the first time. A collaboration between Dark Horse Comics and IT'S ALIVE!, Aztec Ace: The Complete Collection is an archival hardcover that restores all 500+ pages of Moench's fan-favorite time-travel adventure series.

First published by Eclipse Comics in 1984, Aztec Ace is an action-packed, intellectual, time-travel adventure starring Caza (AKA Ace) as he travels between the Aztec Empire and his home in the 23rd century. Ace, along with his pupil Bridget Chronopolis and his navigator Head (the floating disembodied head of Sigmund Freud), struggles to save his dimension from time paradoxes created by his enemy, the mysterious Nine-Crocodile.

Aztec Ace: The Complete Collection hardcover collects the full 15-issue run for the first time, and includes a bonus Aztec Ace short story by Moench and Tim Sale, and a pin-up gallery featuring new artwork by Bill Sienkiewicz, ChrisCross, Dan Day, Jeff Lemire, Joe Staton, Jok, Kelley Jones, Matt Kindt, Michael Avon Oeming, Michael Wm Kaluta, Paul Gulacy, Paul Pope, Ron Harris, and more!

Aztec Ace not only holds up to modern sensibilities but invites multiple readings even 30 years later.”  — Major Spoilers

“(An) exceptionally quirky and quite impressive time travel tour de force comic.” — Comics Grinder

• I remember mildly enjoying this back in the day. But I also remember having some disappointments, both with story and art, so I doubt I'll pick this up. Unless someone here changes my mind.

DRAGON AGE: WRAITHS OF TEVINTER HC

Story: Nunzio Defilippis, Christina Weir | Art: Fernando Heinz Furukawa | Cover: Sachin Teng | $39.99

BioWare and Dark Horse Comics present the Dragon Age trilogy that pits Fenris and the Inquisition against the Venatori for the fate of Thedas, now collected in a deluxe oversized hardcover.

When a red lyrium artifact of devastating power surfaces in the Tevinter Imperium, the Inquisition mobilizes knight Ser Aaron Hawthorne, elven thief Vaea, and magekillers Tessa Forsythia and Marius to retrieve it. Along the way, they will acquire a fledgling con artist and a troubled mage as allies, as well as Fenris, the legendary Blue Wraith. But the Venatori have mobilized forces of their own, and it will take cunning, bravery, and sacrifice to stop their dark intentions from being realized.

EDGEWORLD TP

JOE GOLEM: OCCULT DETECTIVE OMNIBUS HC

• Do I want this? I think I want this. It's part of Mignola's "Otherverse," which I'm still getting into.

LONESOME HUNTERS #3 (OF 4)

MINOR THREATS #1 (OF 4)

Story: Patton Oswalt & Jordan Blum | Art: Scott Hepburn | Colors: Ian Herring | Letters: Nate Piekos | $4.99

Minor Threats is a genre-bending crime drama about superheroes and villains and the last gasp of the colorful innocent days of the Silver and Bronze era of comics before they are dragged into the grit-soaked modern times.     

It’s hard out there for a supervillain. Not the world conquerors, chaos engines, or arch-nemeses … but the little guys, the career criminals. The ones who put on uniforms, knock over jewelry stores and get tied to telephone poles before the hero swings off to face the actual big bad. Times are tough for costumed crooks … and they’re about to get much worse. The psychotic Stickman has done the unthinkable and murdered Kid Dusk, sidekick to Twilight City’s premier crime-fighter, The Insomniac. The Insomniac’s teammates, The Continuum, are tearing Twilight apart, turning it into a terrifying police state — desperate to capture the Stickman and stop the Insomniac from “crossing that final line” in which he may never come back from. Caught in the middle are the small-time C-list villains, finding it impossible to pull jobs or even walk down the street without being harassed by these heroes. With a bounty on the Stickman’s head, former villain Playtime decides to put together a ragtag team of equally disgruntled supervillains to take down the Stickman and kill him themselves. Leading her on a dark journey into the criminal underbelly she’s tried so hard to escape.

“Every comic book fan dreams of creating their own universe,” said series co-writer Patton Oswalt. “This one is mine and Jordan’s. There is fun and danger and violence and sadness just like in real life, but with WAY brighter colors. I can’t wait to see you guys experience it.”

Said co-writer Jordan Blum, “This is our love letter to superhero comics and crime fiction. An underdog story of inept costumed criminals in over their heads, trying to survive an unforgiving city filled with caped gods, fallen kaiju, and traffic causing time vortexes. Everyday crooks in a fantastical world trying to get theirs.”

“Work like this is why I’ve always wanted to be a comic book artist,” added series artist Scott Hepburn. “Patton, Jordan and myself are in a three-way battle of one-ups-manship to prove who loves this book more.”

“I was hooked from the first page! Minor Threat is delicious, villainous dark pop that churns up the world of the marginalized and serves up a decadent and dangerous feast, all presented in glorious bombastic visual eye-fuckery that has reignited my love of comics. At last, something cool in a world were nothing is cool.” — Taika Waititi (Director, What We Do in the Shadows, Thor: Love and Thunder)

“Minor Threats is a hardcore blast from the bad brain of Patton Oswalt. I love the full-on collision of his grimy, superhero underworld; with eye-poppingly gorgeous splash pages of art by Scott Hepburn. A naughty peek under the cape that you'll devour like contraband.” — Edgar Wright (Director, Last Night in Soho, Shaun of the Dead)

“Minor Threats is exactly what one would expect from Patton Oswalt — it’s intelligent, funny and twisted. I’m also worried about him.” — Judd Apatow (Director, The 40-Year-Old Virgin, The King of Staten Island)

• Ooh! Patton Oswalt! Always welcome.

PEARL III #4

SHAOLIN COWBOY: CRUEL TO BE KIN #4

STAR WARS: HYPERSPACE STORIES #1 (OF 12)

Story: Amanda Deibert | Art/Cover: Lucas Marangon | Variant: Miguel Valderrama | $3.99

Dark Horse Comics makes the jump back to a galaxy far, far away in Star Wars™: Hyperspace Stories, a new anthology comics series featuring stories set in every era of the Star Wars timeline! Featuring fan-favorite heroes and villains, this anthology series will include stories from a variety of all-star creators including Cecil Castelluci and Michael Moreci. Writer Amanda Deibert (Wonder Woman ’77, Teen Titans Go!) and artist Lucas Marangon (R.I.P.D., Star Wars Tales) craft a tale for Star Wars: Hyperspace Stories #1 set at the height of the Clone Wars!     

When the members of a Republic mission led by Senator Padmé Amidala™ are abducted by the ruthless Separatist General Grievous™, Anakin Skywalker™ and Obi-Wan Kenobi™ jump to the rescue. But the operation quickly goes awry, and the Jedi™ find themselves cut off and surrounded by an army of battle droids!

• Is there a publisher anywhere who isn't publishing a Star Wars series?

STEEPLE VOL 3 TP

Story: John Allison | Art: John Allison | Cover: Max Sarin | $19.99

From John Allison, the creator of Giant Days, comes the next installment in his supernatural tale of friendship, the devil, and moral gray areas — Steeple Volume 3 at Dark Horse Comics!

A new year begins in Tredregyn, and a Satanic ritual goes awry — bringing the filming of a cozy TV detective drama to town. Unfortunately, this particular Pandora’s box contains a few things a lot less pleasant than casual jobs and showbiz glitz. Plus, in a special backup feature, a teen sleuth puts the cat among the parish pigeons as she attempts to solve the disappearance of a glamorous author.

Praise for Steeple Volume 1:

“An interesting plot, and beautiful artwork to support it. Combined with unique and intriguing characters, this series will hold your attention.” — Monkeys Fighting Robots

Steeple is a series that was once described as Parks and Recreation meets Preacher, and honestly, there has never been a more accurate description of a book. It has all the humor and dark drama you could want, with a budding forbidden friendship to keep you interested.” — Comic Watch

“A wonderfully blasphemous concoction of faith, duty and sacrifice, Hellblazer with a proper kitchen sink sensibility.” — Doom Rocket

STRANGER THINGS: KAMCHATKA #4 (OF 4)

TARZAN OF THE APES VOL 1 HC

Story: Roy Thomas | Art/Cover: Pablo Marcos | $29.99

Previously available only to subscribers of the Edgar Rice Burroughs website, Tarzan of the Apes is at last available in print. Presented in Sunday newspaper landscape format in a handsome hardcover edition, these adaptations of Edgar Rice Burroughs's classic tales are scripted by comics legend Roy Thomas and illustrated by Pablo Marcos.

Presenting the origin of the Jungle Lord and his earliest adventures, any Tarzan comics collection begins with Tarzan of the Apes.

"There might be children in Somalia or the Arctic who have never heard of Hamlet or The Great Gatsby. But you can bet they know Tarzan." — Harlan Ellison

• Wait, how many of these Roy Thomas Tarzans are there? I want them all, however many there are.

DC COMICS

ACTION COMICS #1046

ANIMAL MAN OMNIBUS HC (2022 EDITION)

Story: Grant Morrison | Art: Various | Cover: Brian Bolland | Mature | $100.00

Art by Chaz Truog, Doug Hazlewood, and others Grant Morrison’s epic run on Animal Man collected in one massive hardcover. Buddy Baker has been experiencing visions of aliens, people transforming into strange pencil-like drawings, and hints of a terrible crisis. As his odyssey of self-discovery gives way to spiritual enlightenment as well as the depths of despair, Buddy meets his maker: a writer named Grant Morrison! Includes Animal Man #1-26 and a tale from Secret Origins #39.

• I had a prejudice against this run at the time, because I read somewhere that an author putting himself or herself in a fiction story was the laziest thing he/she could do. But it certainly has proven to have legs. I guess I should re-read and re-evaluate.

BATMAN: FORTRESS #4 (OF 8)

BATMAN WHITE KNIGHT PRESENTS RED HOOD #2 (OF 2)

DC MECH #2 (OF 6)

DEATHSTROKE INC. #12

DETECTIVE COMICS #1063

DETECTIVE COMICS #27 FACSIMILE EDITION

FABLES #154 (OF 162)

HARLEY QUINN #21

I AM BATMAN VOL 1 HC

JUSTICE LEAGUE THE NEW 52 OMNIBUS VOL 2

JUSTICE LEAGUE VS. LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES #5 (OF 6)

OLYMPUS REBIRTH #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad | Art: Caitlin Yarsky | Cover: Julian Totino Tedesco | $5.99

After years of bitter and violent conflict, the Greek pantheon of gods stands united to welcome their latest goddess … Hippolyta of Themyscira! Due to her heroic efforts in the mortal realm, the former queen has earned her rightful place among the gods and plans to use her newfound powers to take care of her Amazon sisters from beyond. Little does she know, some of the gods are wary of the new future Hippolyta brings and will do just about anything to stop it! Join the Wonder Woman writing duo of Becky Cloonan and Michael W. Conrad — along with artist Caitlin Yarsky (Black Hammer) in her DC debut — for an unforgettable new adventure on Mount Olympus. It’s only the beginning of many exciting things to come for Wonder Woman and her world!

• I always thought all the Amazons — not just Hippolyta — should have been ethereal Valkyrie-like or demigod-like beings on another dimensional plane or in Olympus itself. Not just because that would have been cool, but also because they'd be too remote to be the cavalry.
  • See, one question always nagging at the back of my mind in a lot of Wonder Woman stories was, "If she has an army she can whistle up any time, why doesn't she?" There certainly have been situations dire enough that WW should have called on the Amazons for help, but didn't. It was a plot hole that bugged me.
  • Well, we still have flesh-and-blood Amazons, which still needs to be addressed.  But Hippolyta is dwelling among the petulant and arrogant Olympians, which Brian Azzarello called "the original crime family." So that should be fun.
  • And it's a much better arrangement than Diana herself being the Goddess of Truth, which she was for a while, because it's hard to gin up drama when your lead character is an immortal god with divine powers. That's a role much better suited to Diana's mother.

ROBIN #17

SWAMP THING #16 (OF 16)

TALES OF THE HUMAN TARGET #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Tom King | Art: Various | Covers: Greg Smallwood, David Marquez, Jorge Jiménez | 48 pages | $5.99

While taking an assignment to bodyguard Lex Luthor, Christopher Chance, the Human Target, is poisoned and is in a race against time to find out who’s responsible. On August 23, celebrated writer Tom King and a host of fan-favorite artists — Mikel Janín, Rafael Albuquerque, Kevin Maguire, and The Human Target artist Greg Smallwood — team up to tell stories of what happened before Chance drank the poison intended for Lex Luthor in Tales of The Human Target.

In this one-shot anthology, Christopher Chance “teams up” with members of the Justice League International — some of whom already are prominently involved in this story — in four connecting mysteries, and one of them may be responsible for the poison that has The Human Target living on borrowed time. This 48-pager features an incredible main cover by series artist Smallwood, reminiscent of hard-boiled detective novels of the '60s and '70s.

• I intend to read all of Tom King's Human Target at once in some collected form. I don't know when that will be, or what form it will take. There's a hardcover coming in September, which collects the first six issues, but the series will continue (presumably for 12 issues), and then there's this.

TASK FORCE Z #11 (OF 12)

YOUNG JUSTICE: TARGETS #2 (OF 6)

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

DEJAH THORIS FAIRY TALES ONE SHOT

Story: Ron Marz | Art: Andres Labrada | Cover: Soo Lee | $4.99

Dejah as you've never seen her ... in a fairy tale!

Once Upon A Time, a queen most jealous sought to destroy any woman fairer than she. And so, a beautiful woman struck out into the wilderness, desperate to evade the queen's envious wrath. The beauty would find allies in the wild, unlike any she'd ever seen before. And she made plans to return to the queen, to lay claim to the planet of Barsoom.

• I was troubled by the movie Snow White and the Huntsman at the jump, in that when the mirror says that Kirsten Stewart is fairer than Charlize Theron, I didn't believe it. Stewart's an attractive woman, sure, but is her buck-toothed Everygirl objectively more attractive than Theron's unaging Ice Queen? Stewart's certainly not "fairer" in the literal sense, given that Theron is a blonde. I think it's a pretty subjective call, Mr. Mirror, and I don't you made the right one. Besides, just tell the queen what she wants to hear and no one gets hurt.
  • That won't be a problem here. The way Dejah Thoris is generally depicted, she's hard to beat in the hubba-hubba department.

NYX #9

PANTHA #4

SAMURAI SONJA #3

VAMPIRELLA STRIKES #4

IDW PUBLISHING

MY LITTLE PONY #4

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #52

TMNT: ARMAGEDDON GAME OPENING MOVES #2

IMAGE COMICS

BEWARE THE EYE OF ODIN #3

DEADLY CLASS #55

DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH #20

FARMHAND #20

GUNSLINGER SPAWN #11

I HATE THIS PLACE #4

Story: Kyle Starks | Art: Artyom Topilin | Colors: Lee Loughridge | Letters: Pat Brosseau | $3.99

What is a paranormal nexus, and how did Rutherford Ranch become one? Gabby, Trudy and Dante search for answers, only to discover something else is stalking them. 

• This is such a clever series that it's really a shame how much the art annoys me.

NEW MASTERS #6

NEWBURN VOL 1 TP

PUBLIC DOMAIN #3

RADIANT BLACK #17

ROGUE SUN VOL 1 TP

ROGUES GALLERY #2

SINS OF BLACK FLAMINGO #3

SPAWN SCORCHED #9

STEP BY BLOODY STEP TP

MARVEL COMICS

ALIEN VOL 2: REVIVAL TP

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #8

AVENGERS FOREVER #8

A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #3 (OF 6)

Story: Kieron Gillen | Art: Valerio Schiti | Cover: Mark Brooks

In A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #3 and #4, the Celestial known as the PROGENITOR will rise to usher in the second act of the event where various heroes and villains stand for judgment. Defending their past actions and mistakes in fascinating ways, these hard-hitting stories will impact various ongoing titles in thrilling tie-in issues. Read on to learn more about what’s to come! 

• Judgment Day-related.

CAPTAIN AMERICA SYMBOL OF TRUTH #4

CARNAGE #5

DAMAGE CONTROL #1

Story: Adam F. Goldberg, Hans Rodionoff | Art: Jay P. Fosgitt, Will Robson | Cover: Carlos Pacheco | Teen+ | $4.99

FROM THE CREATOR OF TV'S THE GOLDBERGS!

Marvel's Unsung Heroes finally get sung! After the mega-powered battles and Hulk-level catastrophes, Damage Control is always there to clean up the mess and get things back to normal. But Damage Control is much more than just a glorified cleanup crew, and this new series will pull back the curtain and reveal the secret inner workings that were previously only available to people with Clearance Level Eight. And we'll witness it all through the eyes of Gus: a fresh-faced, eager newcomer to the company who has no idea how chaotic his life is about to become.

ADAM F. GOLDBERG (TV's The Goldbergs) and HANS RODIONOFF team up with WILL ROBSON to take you into the secret labyrinth of Damage Control, where it's totally common to run into familiar faces like Moon Knight! Nightcrawler! She-Hulk! And more!

Plus: A second story by DAMAGE CONTROL creator Dwayne McDuffie's McSpouse, Charlotte Fullerton, as the Damage Control crew must clean up after the Infinity Gauntlet!

• I always thought this was a clever concept, and one that would be absolutely necessary in a world where superheroes and supervillains are always throwing down, not to mention various gods descending, demons possessing and aliens invading. Sadly, TV's Ms. Marvel established Damage Control in the MCU as just another S.H.I.E.L.D. clone.

DEFENDERS BEYOND #2

DEVIL’S REIGN TP

DEVIL’S REIGN: SUPERIOR FOUR TP

DOCTOR STRANGE EPIC COLLECTION: INFINITY WAR TP

ETERNALS VOL 2: HAIL THANOS TP

FANTASTIC FOUR #46

FANTASTIC FOUR EPIC COLLECTION: ANNIHILUS REVEALED TP

GENIS-VELL: CAPTAIN MARVEL #2

KING CONAN TP

MARAUDERS #5

MILES MORALES: SPIDER-MAN #41

REIGN OF X VOL 13 TP

SHANG-CHI AND TEN RINGS #2

SILVER SURFER REBIRTH TP

SPIDER-GWEN GWENVERSE #5

STAR WARS: CRIMSON REIGN TP

STAR WARS: DARTH VADER #26

STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA #23

WOLVERINE: BLACK WHITE & BLOOD TP

WOLVERINE: PATCH #5

MORE COMICS

A CALCULATED MAN #3

BLUE FLAME #9

BOOK OF SHADOWS #2

BUNNY MASK: HOLLOW INSIDE #4

BY THE HORNS: DARK EARTH #4

CODE 45 #2 (OF 5)

DANDY PRESENTS: PENNY DREADFULS ONE-SHOT

Story: Brent Fisher, Jaysea Williams, Keith Frady | Art: Rachel Distler, Seth Abair, V Gagnon, Kel Neveu | Cover: Nolan Nasser | Source Point Press | Mature | $3.99

Queer comedy icon and internet sensation Dandy, of the secret organisation of homosexuals known as the Lavender Society, brings you this special collection of Victorian era horror stories written and illustrated by the best up-and-coming LGBTQ+ creators.

• I opened this thinking it was related to the cool TV show, or maybe the UK comic book Dandy, but was disappointed on both counts. Still, gay people can be scary. That makeup certainly doesn’t put me at ease.

END AFTER END #1

Story: David Andry, Tim Daniel | Art/Cover: Sunando C | Vault | $4.99

Life is nothing if not a series of endings.

School. Jobs. Friendships. Love.

Until THE end.

Walter Willem's end was fast and unexpected. His was an unremarkable life. So, how is it that his story continues as cannon fodder in an endless war waged against an insatiable darkness hellbent on consuming all of existence?

And is Walter right in believing he's arrived in the midst of this titanic battle as the one destined to finally end it?

That's the tale of the End After End.

EVANESCENCE: ECHOES FROM THE VOID #1

Story: Carrie Lee South | Art/Cover: Kelly McKernan | Opus Comics | $4.99

From Grammy Award-winning rock band Evanescence, Echoes From the Void features adaptations of the band's musical catalog in short stories created by an all-star cast of graphic artists, animators, illustrators, fine artists, screenwriters, novelists and more. The first issue is inspired by the single "Better Without You," which appears on their fifth album, The Bitter Truth (2021).

• Lots of music-to-comics projects lately.

GFT 2022 ANNUAL #1

• Zenescope

GILT #5 (OF 5)

GOOD BOY VOL 2 #4 (OF 4)

GUN HONEY: BLOOD FOR BLOOD #1

Story: Charles Ardai | Art: Ang Hor Kheng | Cover: Adam Hughes | Titan | Mature | $3.99

2021'S BEST-SELLING NON-PREMIER COMIC IS BACK FOR A BLOCKBUSTER NEW SERIES!

With weapons expert Joanna Tan, the legendary "Gun Honey," off the grid, recuperating from her last job, a vengeful rival takes her place - and frames Joanna for murder. On the run from Malaysia to Milan, from Montana to Monaco, can Joanna catch up to her ruthless enemy...or will she catch a bullet first?

"THE FINEST KIND OF PULP NOIR." ED BRUBAKERS

• Warning: The first series had some pretty graphic sex scenes. I imagine this will be similar.
  • Here's a preview.

HEAVY METAL #318

ILLUSION WITCH #3 (OF 6)

KNIGHTS OF THE DINNER TABLE #296

KOLD #1

Story: Michael Patrick Rogers  | Art: Federica Mancin | Cover: Marco Fontanili | Source Point Press | Mature | $3.99

In a modern-day Ebenezer Scrooge-esque tale, a cruel old man named Homer goes ice fishing with his dog. The man is desperate to resolve the guilt that burns deep down in his conscience. Homer went fishing for forgiveness, but all he caught was hell.

• I’ve never lived anywhere where ice fishing was a thing, but it seems to this Southerner like a hobby custom-made for tragic, lethal accidents.

LITTLE RED RONIN #2

LOVE & ROCKETS MAGAZINE #12

MONSTROUS BOOK OF THE DEAD #3 (OF 4)

META: METALINGUISTIC CRIMES DIVISION #1

Story: Marcelo Sarava | Art: Andre Freitas | Cover: Brao | Scout Comics | $5.99

META #1

Story: Marcelo Saravá | Art: André Freitas | Colors: Omar Viñole | Letters: Deyvison Manes | Editor: Andrea Lorenzo Molinari

Characters killing their authors. Authors trafficking their characters to be sex workers in the real world. Actors morally abusing characters they play. Real people illegally settling in cartoons so as to never age again. That’s just a regular Tuesday for our META agents. The Metalinguistic Crimes Division patrols the borders between our world and the many universes of comics, cinema, games, theater, literature, and other narrative media.

When a comic book artist is murdered in a weird fashion, META takes the case. Alan, the victim’s brother-in-law and a frustrated, wannabe writer, gets involved in the investigation, and discovers he can somehow enter comic books at will. He also starts unlocking repressed memories from his childhood, when he lived in several fictional worlds.  Now, Alan and META need to work together to find Alan’s kidnapped sister, before she suffers the same fate as her late boyfriend.

“META is an ambitious project 10 years in the making, and I’m thrilled it will be my first entry to the U.S. comic book market. I hope readers will find it as exciting to read as it was for me to conceive. A shout-out for Scout Comics for the partnership, which I believe will be the first of many. It’s great to know my baby is in the hands of a team of comic creators and enthusiasts. Also, I’ve talked to the characters in META — they said they’re pretty happy too … so there’s that.” — Marcelo Saravá

"It's awesome to be part of this great creative family at Scout, with so many new artists. I hope you like Meta as much as I enjoyed making it." — André Freitas

• This sounds vaguely like The Unwritten, only naughtier. Or maybe the original Twilight Zone episode "A World of His Own" taken to the next level.

NEVERENDER #4 (OF 6)

NEW ZODIAX AQUARIUS ONE-SHOT

NOOK #3 (OF 3)

PENTAGRAM OF HORROR #3

SHAM COMICS VOL 2 #5 (OF 6)

TAROT WITCH OF THE BLACK ROSE #135

VAMPIRE MACABRE HALLOWEEN SPECIAL ONE-SHOT

• Haven’t we seen this Asylum Press offering a few times?

VAMPIRES HALLOWEEN ONE-SHOT SPECIAL EDITION

• Ditto this one.

WE LIVE AGE OF PALLADIONS #5

YUKI VS PANDA #10

MORE GRAPHIC NOVELS

ACTING CLASS HC

Story/Art: Drnaso, Nick | Drawn & Quarterly | Mature | $29.95

Acting Class creates a tapestry of disconnect, distrust and manipulation. Ten strangers are brought together under the tutelage of John Smith, a mysterious and morally questionable leader. The group of social misfits and restless searchers have one thing in common: they are out of step with their surroundings and desperate for change. When the line between real life and imagination begins to blur, the group's deepest fears and desires are laid bare. Exploring the tension between who we are and how we present, Drnaso cracks open his characters' masks and takes us through an unsettling American journey.

AMBER BLAKE: THE COMPLETE COLLECTION HC

Story: Jade Lagadere | Art: Butch Guice, Claudia SG Iannicello | Heavy Metal | $29.99

Action and intrigue abound in this modern sci-fi thriller from supermodel/writer Jade Lagardère and legendary comics artist Butch Guice (Captain America) that shines a light on the dark corner of international human trafficking. Orphaned at the age of 5, Amber was enrolled at the Cleverland Institute, a school for gifted children, where she was promised a bright future. But predators hide in the school's administration and, on the verge of exposing them, Amber finds herself fleeing for her life from the very man who took her in.  Now a top recruit of a covert agency dead-set on ending slavery in all its forms, she's going to destroy everyone who's ever hurt the people she loves. Collects all three volumes.

ANIMAL CASTLE VOL 1 HC

ARCHIE MILESTONES JUMBO DIGEST #16

BASTIEN VIVES: THE BLOUSE HC

Story/Art: Bastien Vives | Ablaze | Mature | $24.99

A student of Classical Literature at the Sorbonne, Séverine is neither beautiful, ugly, brilliant, nor mediocre. The young woman lives a banal existence, without brilliance but without drama, alongside a companion who pays her less attention than a television series or video game.

After babysitting, she is given a silk blouse that will mysteriously change her life. From that day forward, men give her a different look, loaded with desire. Does the garment have a magic power? Séverine doesn't know, but she finds that it gives her confidence. And it allows her to take destiny into her own hands...

With the grace and the sensuality which he has already demonstrated in A Sister, Bastien Vivès draws a new female portrait completely adult and contemporary in The Blouse.

• If a blouse does all that, I'd hate to see what the matching skirt would do.
  • Here's a preview.

BYLINES IN BLOOD TP

Story: Erica Schultz, Van Jensen | Art/Cover: Aneke | Aftershock | $17.99

The near future. Politicians invent their own facts, and independent newspapers no longer exist. The very concept of truth has died. In this world, private detectives serve as ronin, searching out the hard truths that people are desperate to keep hidden.

The best of these PIs is Satya, a former journalist turned gumshoe who runs every lead to ground. But Satya has just received her hardest case yet: her former editor has been murdered. Someone wanted him silenced, and the trail points toward the highest bastions of power. To find justice for her friend, she'll have to put everything - and everyone - she knows at risk.

A prophetic neo-noir thriller with unexpected twists at every turn, BYLINES IN BLOOD is co-created by Ringo Award-nominated writer Erica Schultz (M3, Forgotten Home, Strange Tails) and comic writer and former newspaper crime reporter Van Jensen (Two Dead, Cryptocracy, Superman: Man of Tomorrow), aided and abetted by Spanish art sensation Aneke (DC Comics Bombshells, Legenderry: Red Sonja).

This volume collects the entire series, issues #1-4.

• I don't think this future is all that far off. In a lot of places already, "independent newspapers no longer exist." And it's not just newspapers: Independent journalism is drying up. The business model has collapsed, and corporate PR and political propagandists have rushed into the void.

CASSIDY’S SECRET TP

Story: Charles Holland | Art/Cover: Antonio Fuso | Clover Press | $19.99

When a comet lands on Earth, it brings a child who will become Earth's most powerful hero. Sounds familiar?

Well, it also brings an ultra-virus that bestows powers to a select genetically pre-disposed few. In a world where those with superpowers invoke fear and awe, some become celebrities, others become scapegoats — and some exploit these new abilities for their own agenda. Who will defend the powered few when the many seek to cage and/or control them?

Enter Cassidy Crawford, the most prominent defense attorney who leads a law firm that specializes in protecting this new minority population from overzealous laws, police, and prosecutors.

This book kicks off Cassidy's case of a lifetime — the murder of Airstrike, the world's most powerful hero! Now she must defend the man she loathes accused of killing the man she loved.

Written by Black Lightning Executive Producer Charles Holland, and illustrated by Antonio (WYRD) Fuso.

• Wait, you didn't tell us her secret! What's her secret? TELL US HER SECRET!
  • (I bet it's that she has super-powers.)

A GAME FOR SWALLOWS: TO DIE, TO LEAVE, TO RETURN (EXPANDED EDITION)

Story/Art: Zeina Abirached | Graphic Universe | $14.99

The city of Beirut is cut in two, separated by bricks and sandbags and threatened by snipers and shelling. East Beirut is for Christians, and West Beirut is for Muslims. When Zeina's parents don't return one afternoon, the neighbors in her apartment house create a world indoors for Zeina and her brother, sharing cooking lessons, games and gossip. Together they try to make it through the day in the one place they hoped would always be safe — home. This expanded edition of A Game for Swallows features a new, illustrated afterword, as Abirached reflects on the meaning of her memoir's title, the graffiti that inspired it, and the future of Beirut.

• It's not clear from the description what the title refers to, but I’m always interested in graphic novels about foreign countries. It's like traveling without leaving my couch.

GUILLEM MARCH'S LAURA & OTHER STORIES HC

Story/Art: Guillem March | Ablaze | Mature | $19.99

Before his work on Batman and the hit Joker series, before he created Karmen, there was the heartfelt story of Laura, the book that led Guillem March to the mainstream comics world!

Suffering from the ever-painful experience of unrequited love, 20-year-old Laura takes a look at her life. Does the fact that the boy she has feelings for is in love with someone else mean there is something wrong with her? Or is that just how young love goes? And what will happen when she tries to get past the hurt and move on with her life?

Laura is an exploration into the mind of a young woman who has experienced something most people have, but in an honest and beautiful way that only Guillem March can bring us.

Other stories in the book include Irene, which explores the nature of inspiration and creating art outside of one's comfort zone, thanks to some advice from a role model and a cameo by Guillem himself. And in Muse, an artist's search for a model puts how a young woman is perceived by her male roommates into perspective.

Includes bonus material, cover gallery and more in this hardcover collection.

• Karmen was an artistic tour-de-force, so I'm curious if this one, drawn when March was younger, is of the same quality.
  • Here’s a preview.

HE WHO FIGHTS WITH MONSTERS HC

Story: Francesco Artibani | Art/Cover: Werther Dell'Edera | Ablaze | Mature | $24.99

On All Hallows' Eve, a community struggles under the boot of the Nazi war marchine when supernatural forces come to play a part in the conflict! From the artist of the bestselling Something is Killing the Children comes a tale that will send shivers up your spine...

It's World War 2 and the struggle between good and evil is in full force. In Prague, the great Bohemian city is being oppressed by the Nazi occupation and the population lives in terror, while the resistance forces try to organize themselves in the shadows. It is an almost impossible task. With the ruthless SS tightening their grip on every street and neighborhood with overwhelming might, only one hope feeds the struggle. A crazy hope, which rests on the fragile foundations of an ancient, monstrous legend...

The HE WHO FIGHTS WITH MONSTERS hardcover collects the hit series and includes a complete cover gallery plus bonus material. 

HENDRIX: ELECTRIC REQUIEM HC

Story: Gianluca MacOni, Mattia Colombara | Art/Cover: Gianluca MacOni | Ablaze | Mature | $24.99

Hendrix: Electric Requiem explores the life, career and music of a true rock n' roll god--Grammy-award winning musician Jimi Hendrix---who Rolling Stone ranked  #1 on their Greatest Guitarists of All Time!

A compelling trip into the mind and world of Jimi Hendrix.  Electric Requiem is an exhilarating ride, from Jimi's difficult beginnings in the South, plagued by racism, through his global stardom and triumph at Woodstock, and the excessive lifestyle of a rockstar. A rockstar who, even with all his experiences, never forgot where he came from.  Skillfully illustrated by artist Gianluca Maconi, this gripping tale of music, personal demons and thirst for glory is a must-have for any Jimi Hendrix fan. Includes bonus material on Hendrix's life.  Continues Ablaze's bio-graphic novel series of historical individuals and events.

MANIX ABRERAS 12 SC

Story/Art: Manix Abrera | Ablaze | $14.99

Acclaimed Filipino comic artist and three-time National Book Awardee Manix Abrera, in cooperation with ABLAZE, proudly presents "12".

Twelve remarkable stories, weird and surreal, thought-provoking yet funny, sometimes disturbing, others terrifying, but nonetheless always enchanting.

Twelve genuinely touching stories, all drawn in Manix's simplistic style, devoid of words but communicate loudly and resonate wildly with your emotions.

Each story presents itself in its own charm, with intriguing twists —a young man spends his entire life searching for answers but shock awaits when he finally gets that eureka moment; someone finds love that unexpectedly finds somebody else; two men argue over who goes first on an escalator; a mother and daughter fight over a cockroach; a drunk man urinates on a tree and gets a big surprise - making you wonder how these mundane plots can turn out bizarrely, prompting you to reflect and crave for more!

One story reveals a mysterious horror encountered in gloomy desolate highways. Another shows how some group of scientists acquire superpowers because someone hesitated to dissect a frog. A young girl attaches her eyes to a balloon so she can look for her mother above a crowd.

What is the meaning of life? Is finding happiness worth it when you lose what really matters the most? Would you even know what matters the most?

Embrace pain and sorrow. Hope for love and will for hope. 

Manix Abrera's 12 breaks all language barriers in the world of storytelling, but cuts straight into your soul, touches your heart in several dimensions you can and cannot imagine.

METROPOLIS HC

Story: Monte Schulz | Fantagraphics | $34.99

Metropolis, the sixth prose fiction novel by Monte Schulz, is a dystopian narrative of love in a time of war and moral disintegration.

Regency College senior Julian Brehm's uneventful student life is derailed when he falls for Nina Rinaldi, a beautiful young revolutionary engaged in political activism against the authoritarian regime that rules the country and wages a deceitful, distracting war. Julian's love for — and moral alliance to - Nina eventually leads him into a vast undercity beneath the metropolis. Then, east by train and into the war zone itself, where mortal danger in that expanding cemetery of millions threatens Julian's life; what he witnesses will alter how he perceives the Republic and ultimately his fate within it. Julian's adventure can be seen as our own, a world of vacillating morality and unceasing violence. Apathy and passion.

Fear and courage of purpose. Julian's is a hero's journey into the dark unknown. A love story, which extends in many directions. A war novel of incredible scope and horror. A suspenseful mystery novel with a moral puzzle at its core. And a coming-of-age tale of a young man seeing the world he was born into, more dangerous and more beautiful than he could have ever imagined.

Metropolis is a meditation on the meaning of virtue and goodness in the face of the most monstrous crimes. It could just as easily be the story of us.

• I thought this name was taken, by both Clark Kent and Fritz Lang.

SIRENS OF THE NORSE SEA: DEATH AND EXILE TP

Story: Dave Bardin, Marie Bardiaux-Vaiente, Gihef | Art: Francesco Trifogli, Maria Francesca Perifano, Livia Pastore | Humanoids | $19.99

The second in a series of tales about the clans of fearless Vikings and mystical Sirens who face each other in a neverending battle over their greatest source of life: the sea.

A young merman struggles to master his powers over magic-and to keep secret a forbidden relationship. A Viking convinced that a mermaid murdered his eldest son seeks revenge against the world beneath the waves. Two races at war, their battles savage, bloody, and ultimately tragic-for their fates are intertwined far more than either side realizes.

• Five bucks on the mer-people.

SQUARRIORS SUMMER TP #0 (OF 4)

Story: Ash Maczko | Art/Cover: Ashley Witter | Devil’s Due | $19.99

As the sun scorches the land, so rages the fire of war. In the next chapter of the Squarriors saga, the Tin Kin aid refugees escaping Amoni oppression. Among them is a gifted seer with a strange connection to one of the Tin Kin's meekest creatures.Many days north of the Tin Kin compound, Spin fights for survival in the "feeding camps" of their land's overlords. And by season's end, the Tin Kin will have to defend their home, and their way of life, in a costly battle against invading Maw and Amoni forces. The action, mystery, and intrigue continues in Squarriors: Summer.

WHAT REMAINS GN

Story/Art: Camilo | Uncivilized Books | $19.95

What Remains is an innovative graphic novel that weaves documentary and memoir forms to capture the sociopolitical fabric of Colombia, spanning 200 years. Camilo Aguirre dips in and out of pivotal historical periods, all while skillfully interweaving family histories and anecdotes of students, union workers, and guerilla fighters. He creates a critical, unflinching vision of Colombia that is profoundly mobilizing in its search for resolution.

• Most South American nations don't seem that old to me. I guess because their governments change so frequently. We may be joining them on that score.

MORE MANGA

BLACK LAGOON GN VOL 12

BLUE PERIOD GN VOL 08

BUNGO STRAY DOGS DEAD APPLE GN VOL 01

CHEEKY BRAT GN VOL 04

CHERRY MAGIC GN VOL 05

CROSS DRESSING VILLAINESS CECILIA SYLVIE GN VOL 02

DEATH MARCH PARALLEL WORLD RHAPSODY GN VOL 12

DELICIOUS IN DUNGEON WORLD GUIDE ADVENTURERS BIBLE GN

FULLMETAL ALCHEMIST FULLMETAL ED HC VOL 18

GEEK EX-HITMAN GN VOL 01

HOLY GRAIL ERIS GN VOL 02

ISLAND IN A PUDDLE GN VOL 03

JOJOS BIZARRE ADV PT 5 GOLDEN WIND HC VOL 05

OTHERSIDE PICNIC GN VOL 02

PHANTOM OF IDOL GN VOL 02

PLEASE PUT THEM ON TAKAMINE-SAN GN VOL 04

RAGNA CRIMSON GN VOL 06

REIGN OF THE SEVEN SPELLBLADES GN VOL 04

SAGA OF TANYA EVIL GN VOL 17

SASAKI AND MIYANO GN VOL 06

SAYONARA FOOTBALL GN VOL 12

SEE YOU TOMORROW AT FOOD COURT GN

SO IM A SPIDER SO WHAT GN VOL 11

THAT TIME I REINCARNATED SLIME MONSTER NATION GN VOL 08

TITAN KING GN VOL 01 SATURDAY AM TANKS

URUSEI YATSURA GN VOL 15

WITH DOG AND CAT EVERYDAY IS FUN GN VOL 07

MORE KIDS

ADV OF BAILEY SCHOOL KIDS GN VOL 02 DOESNT PLANT PETUNIAS

BIG NATE TV SERIES GN DESTINED FOR AWESOMENESS

BLACKWATER GN

BUNNICULA GN

FAR OUT FAIRY TALES FROG PRINCES CURSE GN

FAR OUT FAIRY TALES SNOW QUEENS GAMING QUEST GN

FAR OUT FAIRY TALES THREE BLIND MICE RACE FOR REVENGE GN

FAR OUT FAIRY TALES TRASHED TECHNO BEATS OF BREMEN GN

FIFTH QUARTER HARD COURT GN

FRANKIES WORLD GN

GRUBBS SUMMER SPECIAL #1

INVISIBLE GN

KID SLAPSHOT #1

LIBRARY OF DOOM GN CREATURE COLLECTION

LIBRARY OF DOOM GN HOWLING BOOK

LIBRARY OF DOOM GN OLDEST TRICK

LIBRARY OF DOOM GN SPELL BOUND

MINECRAFT INSPIRED MISADV FRIGIEL & FLUFFY HC VOL 03

SCIENCE COMICS BRIDGES GN

THIS IS A BIRTHDAY CAKE HC

WHY-WHY`S GONE BYE-BYE YR GN

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• AZTEC ACE: This is way late, even beyond its second solicit date. I have never read it before (for reasons I need not go into here), but I did preorder this collection... twice. I'll be buying it and I will likely have something to say about it as well. 

"Wait, how many of these Roy Thomas Tarzans are there?"

This is the second of two solicited so far. 

ANIMAL MAN OMNIBUS: I started reading this series late (#51), but I did eventually go back and collect all the backissues. (Actually, now that I think of it, I started reading it (at #51) because I had recently acquired all the backissues up to that point. In any case, I pre-order this volume and I will be reading it, but maybe not for a while yet.

• it's hard to gin up drama when your lead character is an immortal god with divine powers.

What,, like Thor?

I’ve never lived anywhere where ice fishing was a thing

I never have, either, but this reminds me of the old joke tht the three perpetual headlines were "Unrest in the Middle East", "Pope Decries Sinfulness" and "Alcohol Involved in Maine Snowmobile Fatality"..

• The Baron said:

it's hard to gin up drama when your lead character is an immortal god with divine powers.

What,, like Thor?

You’re making my point for me.

See, Thor is like Hercules and Wonder Woman, demigods down here with us mortals, subject to the slings and arrows. He’s not up on Mt. Olympus, insulated from the fray. Thor’s not an All-Father; he’s, at best, a field leader. There’s an hierarchy to divinity, and Thor and Wonder Woman are at the bottom of it.

Zeus and Odin, by contrast, are a quantum level above. They’re part of the fabric of the universe. At DC, Zeus is part of the Quintessence or something, a floating head with other floating heads like Shazam and the Guardian Ally Ally Oopsa or whoever. He’s more concept than character. Ditto Odin at Marvel, where he has an “Odin-Force” that can recreate the gods whenever necessary because evidently he created them all in the first place.

There is no “Thor-Force.”

So Thor and Wonder Woman are adventure characters, characters we can relate to. We can thrill to their adventures.

Zeus and Odin are more mythological, divine, undying concepts. They aren’t characters, they’re plot constructs. They can’t die, their powers are ineffable, they move in mysterious ways.

Consequently, we don’t care about them. So, to me, it’s a storytelling mistake to elevate a Thor-level character to an Odin-level position. Because the story mechanics break down.

• ANIMAL MAN - Like Jeff I also came to Animal Man late. I don't recall what issue it was, but I enjoyed what I read. 

A.X.E.: JUDGMENT DAY #3 (OF 6) - I'm not reading this overall series (A.X,E.), but a life-long friend is. He told me yesterday it is terrible. He was said, "I don;t know why I am reading this." Good enough for me.

Warning: The first series had some pretty graphic sex scenes. I imagine this will be similar. -There was one scene in particular in the last series in which I said, "Whoa! Okay..." That being said, I enjoyed the first series, and I am down for this one as well.

BYLINES IN BLOOD - I don't think this future is all that far off. In a lot of places already, "independent newspapers no longer exist." And it's not just newspapers: Independent journalism is drying up. The business model has collapsed, and corporate PR and political propagandists have rushed into the void. - I hear ya, Cap. I don't know if this really addresses that. I thought this series was "okay" at best. I wanted it to be better than it was.

This reply was deleted.