THE TOP 5

The Butchery HC

Fantagraphics | $19.99

Story/Art:  Bastien Vives

This poetic graphic novel explores the emotional bloodbath of a romance gone awry.

A young man and woman fall for each other and all is sweetness and light. But when their relationship crumbles, they each must endure the ensuing emotional fallout. Starting from this simple premise, Bastien Vivès crafts an affecting narrative about the mercurial and tempestuous nature of romance and why we pursue it anyway. The Butchery is composed of the little moments that make and break a relationship: lively dancing, silent strolls hand in hand, stilted phone calls, tearful pillow talk.

Captain Comics sez: This book is told through short cartoon vignettes in pen-and-ink and colored pencils (I think). Each vignette presents another milestone in the road of the relationship between the two main characters, who meet, fall in love, fall out of love and break up painfully. (No spoilers; the book blurb tells you that.) Occasionally the vignettes are in metaphor, with two different characters who speak their hearts directly. ("I must hurt you now.")

Despite the precious Frenchiness of it all, The Butchery is a pretty universal story. We have all felt this pain.

The Dancing Plague TPB

SelfMadeHero | 192 pages | $20.99

Story/Art: Gareth Brookes

Set in 1518, and told from the imagined perspective of Mary, one of the witnesses, The Dancing Plague tells the true story of when hundreds of Strasbourg’s inhabitants were suddenly seized by the strange and unstoppable compulsion to dance. As difficult to interpret now as it was then, the story of the “Dancing Plague” finds suitably extraordinary expression in the utterly unique mixed-media style Gareth Brookes has devised to tell it. The pioneering blend of his trademark “pyrographic” technique with sumptuously colorful embroidery perfectly reflects, in a beautiful work of art, the enduring fragility of our human condition — from “choreomania” to coronavirus.

CC sez: This is one seriously weird book.

First, Brookes appears to create his comics via pyrography, defined as "A method of making drawings or designs by means of heated implements." The effect is unusual, compounded by flesh-toned, heavy stock paper.

Secondly, Brookes spends most of the book's pages exploring life in Medieval times, as opposed to just focusing on the Dancing Plague. And the times, they were a-different. For example, the book opens with a woman hovering over a chamber pot, with her husband urging her to "make haste," as he needs to go as well. When she's finished, she cheerfully replies, "There, husband. S--- thyself inside out." Then they empty the pot out the window, onto a passing horseman, who has some choice words.

Which is weird behavior by today's standards, what with indoor plumbing and all. The whole book is one long treatise on the strange behaviors and magical realism of the day, the latter part being when characters hallucinate demons and falling angels and rivers of blood and floating, decapitated heads of Christ. Also, a woman stays underwater for a couple of days without drowning, after her father tried to kill her for being a witch. The Dancing Plague is, like, the least strange thing these people do.

And the language! The cussing alone might be worth the price of admission. "The devil sew up your arsehole from the inside!" "May you be shat upon by every Saint in heaven!" One character swears by the foreskin of Christ, which the Foreword helpfully informs us was a widely worshiped relic, and therefore not blasphemy. I kid thee not.

Do I recommend it? I guess, but it depends on your interest and/or tolerance for the above.

Here's a link to the SelfMadeHero page.

Echolands #1

Image | $4.99

Story: J. H. Williams, Haden Blackman | Art: Dave Stewart | Art/Cover/Variant: J. H. Williams

Set in a bizarre future world that has forgotten its history, Echolands follows a reckless thief Hope Redhood. Hope holds the key to excavating a strange, dark past — but only if she and her crew can escape a tyrannical wizard and his unstoppable daughter. But fate will send them all on a path leading to a war between worlds.

Echolands is a mythic fiction epic where anything is possible; a fast-paced genre mashup adventure that combines everything from horror movie vampires to classic mobsters and cyborg elves, to Roman demigods and retro rocket ships. It’s going to be a helluva ride!

CC sez: The digital review copy I received was really hard to read; the pages are all sideways (by design), and for some reason arranged in unbreakable pairs. That made for a really wide field of vision that I had to pan and scan clumsily to read.

The upshot is that, while I think the story is pretty good, I can't swear to it. The lead character seems to be inspired by Little Red Riding Hood, although you have to squint pretty hard to see it. Other characters may or may not be inspired by the stuff alluded to in the blurb, but I can't tell from just this one issue, not to mention the eye-straining and frustrating reading experience. 

On the other hand, I had no trouble admiring the incredibly beautiful art, both its craft and design. I was blown away by J.H. Williams on Batwoman, and he's gotten even better. Honestly, the book is worth it for the art alone, and I can't wait for a trade to savor.

Hmp. Maybe I should have led with that.

Punderworld OGN

Image | $16.99

Story/Art/Cover: Linda Sejic

Punderworld is the classic tale of Greek myth — but 100 percent more awkwardly relatable. Hades is the officious, antisocial ruler of the Underworld. Persephone, daughter of Demeter, is an earth goddess of growth and renewal — they've been crushing on each other for the past two centuries. But when a festival (and a little liquid courage) present an opportunity to put an end to their Olympian will-they-won't-they, a meddlesome pantheon and several titanic mis-assumptions threaten to give every god in the sky the wrong impression … and leave their romance dead before it can bloom.

Originally published on Webtoons, the webcomic of Punderworld has a devoted following with 348.2K subscribers and 13.5M hits.

CC sez: And it deserves every one of them.

I've never really dwelt on the Hades/Persephone story, as it seemed to the young Captain a simple, utilitarian myth to explain why the gods would give us the hardship of winter. But Linda Sejic has put a lot of thought into it, coming up with a meet-cute story explaining how on Earth (or under it) the goddess of eternal summer, blooming things and renewal (through her mother Demeter) would have anything in common with the pale, shy, bookkeeper of the afterlife. (Contrary to popular belief, Hades is not the Greek God of Death — that's Thanatos' job. Hades just assigns each soul to where it's going to spend the afterlife. "Died at sea? Poseidon's realm. Next!")

And they do have things in common! Honestly, they're just adorable together.

Part of that is Sejic's art, which is equally adorable. Her clean, refreshing lines belie the deep thought and design that goes into them, allowing the reader to absorb the emotional exchanges and design cues (color schemes, crowns that reflect emotional states, etc.) effortlessly. When you're that good, folks, you make it look easy.

If the name Sejic is familiar, that's because her husband is Stepan, known for Witchblade, The Darkness, Sunstone and more. Linda's style is similar to her husband's, if that helps you picture it.

There's more to come, as this is just Part One. Yay!

Superman '78 #1

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Rob Venditti | Cover/Art: Wilfredo Torres | Variant: Evan "Doc" Shaner | 1:25 variant: Wilfredo Torres |

Variant: Mico Suayan | Promo artwork: Wilfredo Torres

Beginning this fall, decades after Richard Donner and Christopher Reeve’s Superman: The Movie introduced generations of fans to a silver screen version of DC’s Man of Steel, DC returns to this beloved property to tell new stories set within this world with the publication of Superman ’78 by writer Rob Venditti (Hawkman) and artist Wilfredo Torres (Batman ’66)!

CC sez: Honestly, this is just delightful. Why hasn't DC done this before?

OTHER BOOKS OF INTEREST

Darkhawk #1 (of 5)

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story: Kyle Higgins | Art: Juanan Ramirez | Cover: Iban Coello | Variant: Ron Lim | Variant: Leinil Francis Yu

Who is the ALL-NEW DARKHAWK?

Connor Young is a 17-year-old star basketball player with the world ahead of him, until a surprising medical diagnosis changes everything. But what happens when a mysterious amulet finds him and gives him powers beyond belief? What will he do with these new abilities?

CC sez: Marvel just isn't going to give up making Darkhawk a thing, are they? So, just like with Nova and Ghost Rider, they're going to swap out the original troubled teen for another troubled teen. Did it work with Danny Ketch and Sam Alexander? Debatable.

Gamma Draconis HC

Titan | B&W | 64 pages | $14.99

Story: Benoist Simmat | Art: Eldo Yoshimizu

Aiko Moriyama studied religious art at the Sorbonne, but her research in occultism quickly led her down a dangerous path. When several experts around her come under attack from a mysterious entity rising from the depths of the web, she finds herself embroiled in a police investigation involving the sinister leader of an international organization. From London to Tokyo, between transhumanism and black magic, Aiko is determined to solve the enigma of Gamma Draconis and to discover how exactly her family is involved.

CC sez: Here's another DRC that presents with double-page spreads for all pages. And given the 1970s-Spanish-style artwork, which is very detailed and B&W, my poor old eyes had serious trouble following this. In fact, I gave up a couple dozen pages in, when I still had no idea what the main plot was, and saw no reason for further self-torture.

I know I would have had more patience when I was younger, which all of you probably are. So take my experience for what it is, and make up your own minds from the promo below.

King Spawn #1

Image | 56 pages | $5.99

Story: Sean Lewis, Todd McFarlane | Art: Javier Fernandez, Brett Booth, Philip Tan, Stephen Segovia, Todd McFarlane, Marcio Takara | Cover A: Puppeteer Lee | Cover B: Todd McFarlane | Cover C: David Finch | Cover D: Sean Gordon Murphy | Cover E: Greg Capullo | Cover F: Brett Booth

This new title will continue the dramatic events from recent blockbuster Spawn's Universe #1 and is nearly three decades in the making. 

CC sez: I tried the first dozen or so issues of Spawn when it launched two decades ago, and decided it wasn't for me. Neither is this. But it's a big deal to Spawn fans, so here's a heads up.

Marvel Voices: Identity #1

Marvel | Teen | $5.99

Story: Gene Luen Yang, Christina Strain, Greg Pak, Maurene Goo & more | Art: Marcus To, Jason Loo, Creees Lee, Lynne Yoshii, Mashal Ahmed & more! | Cover: Jim Cheung | AAPI Heritage variant: Inhyuk Lee | Variant: Mashal Ahmed | Variant: Rian Gonzales | Variant: Peach Momoko | Variant: Philip Tan

Eisner Award-winning writer Gene Luen Yang continues his groundbreaking work on the Shang-Chi mythos in an all-new tale with artist Marcus To (Excalibur). Get ready for some fireworks when Generation X writer Christina Strain and artist Jason Loo catch up with everyone’s favorite mutant mallrat Jubilee. Greg Pak takes secret agent Jimmy Woo on another hair-raising mission that will mark the Marvel Comics debut of artist Creees Lee. Also new to Marvel, artist Lynee Yoshii joins critically acclaimed Maurene Goo to weave another unpredictable adventure in the saga of Silk. Plus, an amazing tale starring Ms. Marvel drawn by Mashal Ahmed.

CC sez: I appreciate that these books exist. But there have been so many lately, It's starting to feel like pandering.

St. Mercy #1

Image | $3.99

Writer: John Zuur Platten | Art/Cover: Atilio Rojo

A tale of vengeful retribution, St. Mercy pits the Incan Empire against the American West — and features two strong, determined young women who must defy authority and ultimately embrace their destiny. Mercedes Oro is one of the surviving descendants of the Incans who has been charged with protecting a cache of cursed gold used in their child sacrifice rituals. But when an outlaw tries to steal the gold for his band of thieves, he unknowingly sets events in motion that will unleash an angry god who is willing to travel through the centuries to have what he desires.

CC sez: The first issue gives us a generous introduction to an Incan girl from 500 years ago and a Wild Western girl from 130 years ago. They are virtually identical, at least in the face, and both are engaging. Unfortunately, all that characterization eats up a lot of space, and this first issue ends before we see how they're connected, or where this book is going.

I'm hooked nonetheless. Not only am I rooting for this gals, but the art is clean, detailed and well-researched.

Spider-Man: Life Story Annual #1

Marvel | Teen | $4.99

Story: Chip Zdarsky | Art: Mark Bagley | Cover: Chip Zdarsky | Variant: Mark Bagley

Jonah Jameson will do whatever it takes to make the world see that Spider-Man is nothing but a threat and a menace. Will the decades of his obsession bear fruit for Jonah … or be his destruction?

CC sez: Haven't we all wondered why the Silver Age JJJ didn't go to jail for, I dunno ... creating the Scorpion? Setting the Spider-Slayer loose on New York? Hiring a P.I. to follow a teenage freelancer around? Evidently, one of those catches up to him here.

Superman vs. Lobo #1 (of 3)

DC Comics | Mature | Prestige Plus | Black Label | $6.99

Story: Tim Seeley, Sarah Beattie | Art/Card Stock cover: Mirka Andolfo | Card Stock variant: Simon Bisley | Card Stock variant: Tony Harris | 1:25 Card Stock variant: Phillip Tan

The main man meets the man of steel!

Superman vs. Lobo finds the two mega-powered aliens on a collision course as they contend with a jealous, but popular extraterrestrial named Numen and a mysterious doctor intent on studying both of them. Will the Man of Steel and the Main Man destroy the universe fighting with each other, or will they somehow find a way to coexist?

CC sez: This could be a lot of fun. Or it could be stupid. Cross fingers.

Transformers: Shattered Glass #1

IDW | $3.99

Story: Danny Lore | Art: Guido Guidi | Cover: Alex Milne| Variant: Dan Khanna |

In a parallel universe, a war raged across the cosmos from Cybertron to Earth … a war between Decepticon laborers-turned-freedom fighters and the power-hungry Autobot autocrats. Many kilocycles after the blue planet was devastated and the Decepticons were brought to heel, the evil Autobot bodyscrapper named Blurr hunts a new bounty ... one who holds a piece of information that could reignite the war!

CC sez: I'm from the wrong generation to be nostalgic for Transformers. But for those of you who are the right age, enjoy.

Winter Guard #1 (of 4)

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story: Ryan Cady | Art: Jan Bazaldua | Cover: Toni Infante | Variant: Ken Lashley | Head Shot variant: Todd Nauck

Russia is cleaning house! And when the Red Guardian starts hunting down state secrets, he puts himself right back in his home country's crosshairs — dragging the White Widow along with him. But the motherland has new heroes now ... and not even the Red Room could have prepared Alexei and Yelena for the Winter Guard's retribution.

CC sez: Do you think they'll try to align the comics version of Alexei with the movie version? Magic 8-Ball says: "Probably."

CONTINUING EVENTS/CROSSOVERS

EXTREME CARNAGEExtreme Carnage Riot #1

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Story/Art: Alyssa Wong | Cover: Skan | Variant: Jeff Johnson | Variant: Skottie Young

Carnage may be building an army, but his ultimate goal remains shrouded in mystery. What is his endgame? And how many will he massacre to achieve it?

CC sez: I sure am saving a lot of money by not buying anything Venom-related.

FEAR STATE

Harley Quinn #6

DC Comics | 32 Pages | $3.99 ($4.99 card stock variant cover)

Writer: Stephanie Phillips | Art: Laura Braga | Cover: Riley Rossmo | Card Stock variant: Derrick Chew | Movie variant: Riccardo Federici

What would any crisis that threatens all of Gotham City be without Harley Quinn? Boring, that’s what! The mistress of mischief and mayhem teams up with Catwoman to kick the Magistrate out of Alleytown for good!

CC sez: This is the third book leading into "Fear State" without the Fear State trade dress. So if you're interested in that upcoming event (it formally begins next week), then here's another book you need.

INFINITE DESTINIES

Avengers Annual #1

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story: Jed MacKay | Art: Travel Foreman, Juan Ferreyra | Cover: Federico Vicentini | Interconnected variant: Ron Lim

The last secret of the Infinity Stones and Infinity Stone-Bearers is revealed here. Meet the new character who beats Captain America and Iron Man within an inch of their lives.

ALSO IN THIS ISSUE: The conclusion of "Infinite Fury"!

CC sez: "Infinite Destinies" concludes. I haven't been following it — for my money, Jim Starlin and the movies have said all that needs to be said about this concept — but if you have, feel free to recommend/not recommend for the rest of us.

LAST ANNIHILATIONCable Reloaded #1

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story: Al Ewing | Art: Bob Quinn | Cover: Stefano Caselli | Deadpool 30th Anniversary variant: Rob Liefeld

THE BIG GUN IS BACK!

It's a new era, in a new galaxy, that's under siege from a deadly new threat ... but you can still rely on one man. Cable is locked, loaded and landing on the deadliest planet in X-history — to steal the ultimate weapon ... and stop the LAST ANNIHILATION!

CC sez: Still a slow start for this event, as this is, what, the fourth book over about six weeks? But I expect it will explode (your wallet) soon enough.

SINISTER WARAmazing Spider-Man #72

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Nick Spencer | Art: Marcelo Ferreira, more | Cover: Mark Bagley | Handbook variant: David Baldeon | AAPI Heritage variant: Inhyuk Lee

Spider-Man is facing two Sinister Sixes. Just want to say, trying not to spoil — you don't quite understand how intense and impossible this situation is for Peter Parker.

CC sez: Only two issue to go in this event (Sinister War #4, Amazing Spider-Man #73). I think we all know the endgame, as Marvel hasn't been shy about announcing the return of Ben Reilly. The only question is whether or not Peter Parker can avoid being killed/crippled on his way out.

UNITED STATES OF CAPTAIN AMERICA

United States of Captain America #3 (of 5)

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story: Christopher Cantwell, Darcie Little Badger | Art: Dale Eaglesham, David Cutler | Cover Gerald Parel | Design variant: David Cutler

The shield thief targets a cultural landmark in Kansas, hoping to put a permanent stain on Captain America's image. Sam and Steve are hot on his trail — and aided by Joe Gomez, the Kickapoo Tribe's own Captain America! But there's more to the thief's agenda than meets the eye. Are the three Caps headed straight into a trap? And do they have any other choice? 

CC sez: This is the one I've been waiting for. Because I think a Native American Captain America would have a completely different view of American history than Steve Rogers, and might be reluctant to suit up in the colors that did so much damage to his ancestors. I doubt that's how Marvel will play this, but I'm still interested to see how they square that circle.

WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS

Star Wars: Darth Vader #15

Marvel | Teen | $3.99

Story: Greg Pak | Art: Raffaele Ienco | Cover: Aaron Kuder | Wanted Poster variant: David Nakayama | LucasFilm 50th Anniversary variant:

Mere months ago, OCHI OF BESTOON was the assassin who dared to take on DARTH VADER himself in the fiery lava pits of MUSTAFAR. Now Ochi serves Vader as his most loyal agent during the WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS. Who is Ochi of Bestoon? What are his true goals? And how have the secrets of EXEGOL shaped him forever? Also featuring the next great reveal about BOKKU and the Hutt Council!

CC sez: Yes, it continues. Forever.

Star Wars Doctor Aphra #13

Marvel | Teen | $3.99

Story: Alyssa Wong | Art: Minkyu Jung | Cover: Sara Pichelli | Wanted Poster variant: David Nakayama | LucasFilm 50th Anniversary variant: Chris Sprouse

DOCTOR APHRA finds herself face-to-face with the one person she hoped she'd never see again! For once, she might not be able to talk her way out. ... Meanwhile, JUST LUCKY and ARIOLE confront a familiar presence of their own!

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN

Books I don't know much about, or don't understand what I do know.

Alberto Breccia's Dracula HC

Fantagraphics Books

Writer/Art/Cover: Alberto Breccia

In this wordless, full-color collection of satiric short comics stories, Alberto Breccia chronicles the waning days of the most famous vampire of them all. Literally defanged, the protagonist's glory days are long behind him and corrupt Government officials are now draining the life out of the population far more than one creature of the night ever could. This, Fantagraphics' first entry in the Alberto Breccia Library, also includes a sketchbook showing the artist's process.

CC sez: Not my favorite kind of art, but maybe it's yours.

Ancient Astronauts GN

Black Panel Press | $29.00

Writer/Art/Cover: Vincent Pompetti

Millions of galaxies are scattered across the cosmos. Lost among them, a world similar to ours develops in its own solar system. On Plaine, a highly developed planet-nation, lives Onys, a young and daring archer. She emerges from sleep, short of breath, alerted by something heavy and dangerous lingering around her. An imperceptible but undeniable entity, defying the laws of physics, manifesting itself like a cloud of smoke, almost palpable. A presence whose mysterious nature would soon shake her perceptions of reality.

CC sez: What does the premise have to do with the title?

Bacon & Other Monstrous Tales HC

Dark Horse | $19.99

Writer/Art/Cover: Troy Nixey

Superstar artist Troy Nixey will take you on a journey through the creepy and otherworldly in this collection of never-before-collected tales! From alien invasions to monsters lurking in the unseen, this beautifully illustrated book is a must-have for any horror and science-fiction fan! Collecting stories from Nixey's early days at Oni Press and Dark Horse to the relaunch of Fangoria, as well as never-seen-before material and a bonus sketchbook section! Collects Boogie Picker (8 pages from DHP #131), Bacon part 1 (15 pages from Oni Double Feature #3), and Bacon part 2 (15 pages from Oni Double Feature #4), and much more.

CC sez: Here's this week's "What th--?"

Beyond the Farthest Star #1

American Mythology Productions | $3.99

Writer/Variant covers: Mike Wolfer | Art/Cover: Alessandro Ranaldi

In this canonical continuation of Edgar Rice Burroughs' classic novel, new ERB heroine Victory Harben finds herself stranded on the strange and savage world of Zandar, and thrust into a dispute between two bizarre, alien tribes. Born at the Earth's core in the world of Pellucidar, Victory knows quite a bit about primitive cultures, but when she and native Tii-laa track the marauding Keelar warriors to their island outpost city, they will find a most unsettling reason for the Keelar raids upon Tii-laa's people, and uncover a vile, sinister presence that could spell doom for the entire planet.

Pellucidar: Across Savage Seas #1

American Mythology Productions | $4.99

Story: Christopher P. Carey, Mike Wolfer | Art: Miriana Puglia | Cover: Miriana Puglia | Variant: Mike Wolfer Variant: Miriana Puglia

Journey to the fabled, savage land of Pellucidar in an all-new, canonical tale set in one of Edgar Rice Burroughs' most wondrous and dangerous worlds! A seat is reserved just for you aboard the incredible, vacuum airship Favonia as it transports intrepid anthropologist Gretchen von Harben, adventurer Jason Gridley, and Captain Douglas Connover and his crew to the inner world of Pellucidar, on a mission to deliver a supply of Harbonite metal to Abner Perry. But when the Favonia is attacked by ravenous pterosaurs, Gretchen will find herself hurled into a nightmarish adventure beyond imagining in the world at the Earth's core, a land teeming with prehistoric beasts and bizarre, humanoid creatures never before seen.

CC sez: What do you think Edgar Rice Burroughs, a gentleman born and reared in the 19th century (he turned 25 in 1900) would think of the Farthest Star, Pellucidar and Barsoom franchises continuing into the 21st century ... with women as the heroes? Yeah, I hear that spinning sound, too.

Blue Vol 1 (of 2) HC

21 Pulp | Mature | $18.00

Story: Angela Vianello | Art/Cover: Angela Vianello

Aqua is a teenage girl, but she's changing in ways that are incomprehensible to herself and those around her. When she can no longer control her mutating body, she must seek help. Something ancestral is resurfacing in her, and it's ripping away her humanity in the process.

CC sez: Interesting premise. Interesting cover art. That's all I know.

Boston Metaphysical Society: Spirit of Rebellion one-shot

Source Point Press | $4.99

Story: Madeleine Holly-Rosing | Art: Gwynn Tavares

Even after saving Boston, Caitlin is thrown out by her mother for working with Samuel and Granville. Samuel takes her to the boarding house of an old friend in Philadelphia where she discovers a ghost, the beginning of a rebellion, and perhaps her destiny. Like Boston, the poor and working class of Philadelphia are pushing back against the Great Houses, and Caitlin and Samuel are caught in the middle of it. And much to her surprise, Caitlin has discovered that the battle with The Shifter has left her with telekinetic powers. What no one realizes is that a Pinkerton by the name of Harry Connelly has taken a special interest in Caitlin and the boarding house. Is he friend or foe? And what does this mean for Samuel and Caitlin?

CC sez: This is a webcomic that has had at least one TPB in print. Looks a bit like The Alienist, The Nevers or Penny Dreadful. Which I liked.

Cassidy’s Secret #1

Clover Press LLC | 32 Pages | $4.99

Writer: Charles Holland | Art/Cover: Antonio Fuso

A brand new bi-monthly series created and Written by Charles Holland, Writer and Executive Producer of the Black Lightning TV series, and illustrated by Antonio Fuso, the co-creator of WYRD (Dark Horse).

When a comet lands on Earth, it brings a child who will become Earth's most powerful hero. Sounds familiar? Well, it also brings an ultra-virus that grants powers to a select genetically disposed few. In a world where those with superpowers invoke fear and awe, some become celebrities, others become scapegoats – and some exploit these new abilities for their own agenda. Who will defend the powered few when the many seek to cage and/or control them?

Cassidy Crawford is the most prominent defense attorney who leads a law firm that specializes in protecting this new minority population from overzealous laws, police and prosecutors.

CC sez: Cassidy's Secret has got a great pedigree and an interesting premise. But the name of the book is dull, and you can't get any more indie than Clover Press. Let's see if there really is an issue #2 in two months before we get too excited.

Here's a link to the Clover Press site, where there is some additional art.

Celestial Archers HC

21 Pulp | $20.00

Story: Lucas Teixeirs | Art/Cover: Gabriel Picolo

A pact between the Zodiacs undermines the balance of the Cosmos, and paying the price are the constellations who, led by Orion, Ursa Minor and Perseus decide to shed light on the events. The allegorical journey among the constellations of the galaxy will bring them to realize that trying to uncover and denounce an oligarchy and its plots can be very dangerous.

CC sez: Who hasn't imagined the constellations coming to life? 21 Pulp has its work cut out for it, trying to do better than our own imaginations.

Desire Pandora Vol 1 TPB

Ghost Ship | Mature | $13.99

Takai Tsukasa is obsessed with the female body, but what he longs for more than anything is to find the perfect armpits. He really knows his stuff, the "stuff" being the beauty of women's shapely armpits. One day, an elegant, blonde demon appears before him, and she has exactly what he craves. A bold, uncensored fetish fantasy unfurls between Tsukasa, his neighbor Chika, the demon Roselia and a cast of demon girls who are hungry for more than just souls and power!

CC sez: Every time I see a manga that I find utterly baffling, I look it up and find out the content is normal in Japan. So normal, in fact, that it has its own category: Harem, Reverse Harem, Monster Girl, Fantasy, Reborn into Another World, Supernatural, Shoujo, Yuri, Yaoi, etc. Then I feel really provincial and stupid.

This one stumps me, though. Ghost Ship lists it as "Fantasy, Harem, Supernatural." But that doesn't really cover the whole armpit-fetish thing, does it? Surely there's a category that Ghost Ship is simply overlooking. Or am I being provincial and stupid again, and armpit-worship is so common in Japan that it needs no explanation? Or maybe that armpits are a common Japanese metaphor for a different part of female anatomy? Or something else I don't know, because I'm not Japanese?

Starting to feel stupid again ...

The Hand of Black and Other Stories TPB

Fantagraphics | $24.99

Story/Art: Martin Cendreda

Martin Cendreda is a gifted comics storyteller who spends most of his days working as an animator (Bojack Horseman, South Park) and therefore hasn't had a collection of his work ... until now! Printed in red, white and black, The Hand of Black and Other Stories collects seven mostly-silent, short stories (most of which have never been published) that are each a chiseled, mini-masterpiece of dark humor and horror, and will resonate with fans of the Twilight Zone or the works of Daniel Clowes.

CC sez: I genuinely don't know how good or bad this will be, but Fantagraphics has been on a roll lately. And it's yet another "red, white and black"! That must be, like, a category now.

The Heart Hunter GN

Legendary Comics | $19.99

Story: Mickey George | Art/Cover: V Gagnon

On the cursed island of Envecor, everyone is doomed to wear their heart outside their bodies, and are immortal — unable to die, to change, to have children — until they find their soul mate. Paired soul mates are then turned mortal, freed from the curse, and able to leave. But all fairy tales have a dark side: those who don't want to lose their immortality pay "Heart Hunters" to find their soul mates and kill them so they may remain immortal. Psyche, a Heart Hunter, is hired by the king to kill his soulmate. As she sets out on her quest, she begins her own journey of mending her broken heart and learning to trust again.

CC sez: Wow, somebody has some real intimacy issues.

Horror Black & White TPB

Antarctic Press | $9.99

Story: Marcello Bondi Art: Various | Cover: Brian Denham

What's black and white and dread all over?  A creepy collection of horror art in its rawest form, stark black and white.  Scare away the summer heat with this chilling cold-pack of terror tales!

CC sez: Wait, what is Ghost Rider doing at Antarctic Press? Seriously, I do enjoy a good horror anthology, assuming this is good. And I don't know how they missed the opportunity to do a black, white and red.

Lifeformed #1

Scout | $3.99

Story: Matt Mair Lowery | Art: Cassie Anderson

Orphaned in the wake of an alien invasion, 11-year-old Cleo must leave behind the life she knew to fight for her own survival and the Earth’s future. With the help of a rebel alien posing as her dad, Cleo learns how to survive and strike back against the invaders. Battling their way through the wreckage of the apocalypse, these two unlikely companions bond, pondering what it means to be human, and search for reasons to carry on. From creators Matt Mair Lowery and Cassie Anderson (Extraordinary: A Story of an Ordinary Princess).

CC sez: The premise seems interesting, but oh, the art. Seems aimed at middle school. Which I am not in. But they sent me this preview, so here you go.

Mayor Good Boy Vol 1 GN

Random House Graphic | $9.99

Story: Dave Scheidt | Art/Cover: Miranda Harmon

There's a new dog in town! Finally Greenwood gets the mayor they've been waiting for. The votes are in and the new mayor is ... a dog?! This dog will do more than shake paws. Mayor Good Boy is here to help Greenwood become a town filled with kindness, starting with fetching help for the local zoo. With foes around every corner trying to put a stop to Mayor Good Boy's campaign of fun, are there cheese snacks and belly rubs in his future? Or will the whole town suddenly have a flea problem?

CC sez: Who's a good boy? The mayor is a good boy, yes he is!  Seriously, RH sent me such an elaborate press packet that I had to read the book.

It's a typical, and typically charming, book for kids. (And yes, Good Boy can talk. But is otherwise very much a dog.)

Old Head OGN

Image | $16.99

Writer/Art: Kyle Starks

Fan favorite creator Kyle Starks (Assassin Nation, Sexcastle) is back with more action-packed laughs in the forthcoming horror/comedy mashup, Old Head.

Perhaps best described as Space Jam meets Fright Night, this hilarious new story follows a former basketball star when he returns home for his mother’s funeral. What he doesn’t expect is to learn of her mysterious past, his destiny, and to find himself embroiled in a decades-long blood feud with Dracula himself.

CC sez: The blurb references Assassin Nation and Sexcastle, neither of which I cared for. So I'm not apt to enjoy this. But Image sent me two press releases, so evidently they think you will.

Spacecraft: A Smithsonian Coloring Book

IDW | B&W | 80 pages | $16.99

Art/Cover: John Pirtel

Launch into a universe of creativity–ready for you to color! The Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum presents a galaxy-spanning new coloring book that provides a crisp, informative look at the history of space exploration.

CC sez: There are several coloring books out this week; maybe they travel in herds. No, wait: I'm going to say that coloring books travel in Crayolas. Anyway, I mention this one because I think that the other Smithsonian coloring books I've seen in the past were published by Dark Horse. Don't know why the change.

Stud & The Bloodblade #1 (of 3)

Comics Experience | $4.99

Story: Perry Crowe | Art/Cover: Jed Dougherty | Variant: Robert Atkins

What's better than a comic book? Two comic books! All three Studly issues are double-sized for $1 more-twice the story, nearly the same price! Welcome to Ouroboros, a world teetering between far future and primordial past, where aliens and barbarians, bigfoots and robots, monsters and puns wrestle for control! Mightiest is Stud, he of immense strength and nonexistent impulse control! Follow Stud's caravan of carnage as his cursed BloodBlade, keeps him on a razor's edge between hero and Gary! From co-creators Perry Crowe and Jed Dougherty: it's He-Man meets The Tick meets Judge Dredd — it's STUD!

CC sez: I guess if your parents name you Stud, this is the job you end up in. A lesson for us all.

Suicide Jockeys #1

Source Point Press | $3.99

Story: Rylend Grant | Art: Iwan Joko Triyono Cover: Edson Ferreira | Art/Cover: Davi Leon Dias | Variant: Fabio Alves

Ten years after a catastrophic mission gone wrong, Denver Wallace, leader of the Suicide Jockeys — a poor, usually drunken, almost certainly mentally ill crew of monster-fighting, tank-and-aircraft-piloting suckers — must pick himself up off of the proverbial and literal floors, slap his estranged, desperately-fractured team back together and right what once went wrong. From screenwriter/Ringo award-winning comic creator Rylend Grant!

CC sez: Man, can you count all the cliches in this premise? I don't mean to pick on Source Point Press, because a lot of comics are derivative. But this one's even got a Vin Diesel lookalike on Cover B, just in case anybody is interested in making a series of generic action movies out of it.

Women Who Changed Art Forever — Feminist Art the Graphic Novel

Chronicle Books | $19.99

Story: Valentina Grande | Art: Eva Rossetti

These women changed art forever. Told in colorful graphic novel form, this is the story of four pioneers of feminist art: Judy Chicago, Faith Ringold, Ana Mendieta, and the Guerilla Girls. Each made their mark in their own powerful way. Judy Chicago made us reassess the female body, Faith Ringold taught us that feminism is for everyone, Ana Mendieta was a martyr to violence against women, while the Guerilla Girls have taken the fight to the male-dominated museum. This graphic novel tells each of their stories in a unique style.

CC sez: Looks educational. Which may or may not be enough to induce me to read it, depending on how much else I want to buy this week. (Which is a lot.) Sadly, entertainment trumps education, and I have only so much time and money.

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Danny Ketch's Ghost Rider series lasted almost 8 years, so I would call that a success. Sam Alexander, I wouldn't think so.

I appreciate that these books exist. But there have been so many lately, It's starting to feel like pandering. - Starting to?

Transformers: Shattered Glass #1 - I've really been digging this new iteration of the Transformers that IDW is doing. The slow burn of the main series has been great.

• Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

Danny Ketch's Ghost Rider series lasted almost 8 years, so I would call that a success. Sam Alexander, I wouldn't think so.

I appreciate that these books exist. But there have been so many lately, It's starting to feel like pandering. - Starting to?

Transformers: Shattered Glass #1 - I've really been digging this new iteration of the Transformers that IDW is doing. The slow burn of the main series has been great.

“Starting to?” I guess I was too generous. :)

Eight years is a good run. Is he still around? Johnny Blaze has managed a comeback, I see.

• As someone that has read a lot of manga, I can say that the "armpit fetish" is a new one on me.

• United States of Captain America #3 (of 5)

CC sez: This is the one I've been waiting for. Because I think a Native American Captain America would have a completely different view of American history than Steve Rogers, and might be reluctant to suit up in the colors that did so much damage to his ancestors. I doubt that's how Marvel will play this, but I'm still interested to see how they square that circle.

I think Marvel may not be as off-base as you think. The Native American peoples have one of the highest (if not the highest) percentages of enlistment in the U.S. armed forces relative to their populations of any other ethnic group. What is Captain America but another military defender?

• Spider-Man: Life Story Annual #1

I'm really glad you called this to our attention. I made a point of getting it last week. It was very well done, as was the Spider-Man: Life Story miniseries.

This reply was deleted.