This Week in Comics: Feb. 21-27, 2022

LATE ADD (FEB. 24)

LUNCH LADY: THE FIRST HELPING BOOKS 1&2 HC

Story/Art: Jarett J. Krosoczka | Knopf Books for Young Readers | FC | Middle-Grade | $12.99

Serving justice ... and lunch!

Hector, Terrence and Dee have always wondered about their school lunch lady. What does she do when she isn’t dishing out the daily special? Where does she live? Does she have a lot of cats at home? Little do they know, Lunch Lady doesn’t just serve sloppy Joes — she serves justice! Whatever danger lies ahead, it’s no match for LUNCH LADY in these two exciting adventures packed into one book! Get ready for the return of this exciting series, by the author of Hey, Kiddo.

This new edition includes brand-new, full-color version of Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute and Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians, as well as all-new exciting back matter!

LUNCH LADY: THE SECOND HELPING BOOKS 3&4

Story/Art: Jarett J. Krosoczka | Knopf Books for Young Readers | FC | Middle-Grade | $12.99

Lunch Lady has villains to fight at school and camp in this action-packed book. First, Dee, Terrence, and Hector come face to face with a very special guest on Author Visit Day–but there’s something a little off about the world-famous writer. What evil designs does he have on his agenda? Then, the kids take a sigh of relief and are relaxing at summer camp. What evils could befall them there? Of course, there is the legendary swamp monster. Stories say he haunts the camp at night. But that’s just a legend. Or is it?

This new edition includes brand-new, full-color versions of Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta and Lunch Lady and the Summer Camp Shakedown, as well as all-new exciting materials in the back!

BOOM!

ALL NEW FIREFLY #1

BRZRKR #7

EVE TPB

GETTING DIZZY #4

HOUSE OF SLAUGHTER #5

KILLER: AFFAIRS OF STATE #1

• First issue!
  • I rather liked the "Killer" graphic novels I read a while back, published by (I think) Archaia. What remains with me is the contrast of how the contract killer looked (nebbish-y) versus how he acted (ruthless).
  • Here's a preview.

POWER RANGERS UNIVERSE #3

DARK HORSE COMICS

BLACK HAMMER REBORN #9

BLADE OF IMMORTAL DELUXE EDITION HC VOL 5 HC

CATS: GIRLFRIENDS & CATFRIENDS TPB

JOY OPERATIONS #4

LEGEND OF KORRA: ART OF THE ANIMATED SERIES DELUXE EDITION BOOK 3 — CHANGE HC 2ND EDITION

ORPHAN & FIVE BEASTS #4

PARASOMNIA VOL 1 TPB

SIN CITY VOL 3: THE BIG FAT KILL (4TH ED) DELUXE HC

• I talked myself into buying these. But just like The White Album, this is the last time, I swear!

SNOW ANGELS VOLUME 1 TPB

Story: Jeff Lemire | Art/Cover: Jock | Comixology Original | Dark Horse | 104 pages | Age range: 16 | $19.99

Dark Horse, the legendary comic book publisher of titles including Black Hammer, Hellboy, Sin City and The Umbrella Academy, will publish Snow Angels Volume 2, collecting the conclusion of the acclaimed limited 10-issue series by writer Jeff Lemire and artist Jock. Snow Angels Volume 1, collecting issues #1-4, arrives in print in February 2022 and is going back to press for a second printing.

Snow Angels is the first collaboration between the two renowned talents. Together, they have created an epic science fiction adventure story set in a brutal near future where the world is covered in ice.

Snow Angels Volume 2 — collects issues #5-10 — Available in June 2022 for the First Time in Print!

In Snow Angels, Milliken and Mae have never left The Trench — it’s all they’ve ever known. They were born in The Trench, and they’ll die there, just like all their people do. The two girls, eight and eleven, are a part of The Trenchfolk, a sprawling settlement of people living inside the massive ice walls of a vast, seemingly endless frozen trench carved into the surface of an otherwise icy wasteland. The Trenchfolk survive in this hostile world by following The Three Testaments of The Trench — golden rules repeated like a mantra from birth to death…

1. YOU MUST NEVER LEAVE THE TRENCH.
  2. THE TRENCH PROVIDES.
  3. THE TRENCH IS ENDLESS.

Milli and Mae don’t really know how their people came to live here. No one does, not even their wise and gentle father. On Milliken’s twelfth birthday, their father takes the two girls on an overnight skate down the trench — a coming-of-age ritual to teach them how to fish the frozen river, how to hunt the wild Trenchdogs that wander its frigid banks, and how to give proper thanks to their frozen Gods — The Colden Ones. It’s the trip of a lifetime until the girls push beyond the borders of their humble land and awaken the Trench’s deadly defender…The Snowman!

Jeff Lemire is the creator of the acclaimed graphic novels Sweet Tooth, the Essex County Trilogy, The Underwater Welder, Trillium and Roughneck, as well as Descender and Ascender with Dustin Nguyen, and Black Hammer with Dean Ormston. Jeff has also written Green Arrow, Justice League and Animal Man for DC Comics and Hawkeye for Marvel Comics. He’s also part of the creative team on Cosmic Detective which he recently Kickstarted with Matt Kindt and David Rubín

In 2008 and in 2013 Jeff won the Schuster Award for Best Canadian Cartoonist. He has also received The Doug Wright Award for Best Emerging Talent and the American Library Association’s prestigious Alex Award, recognizing books for adults with specific teen appeal. He has also been nominated for 8 Eisner awards, 7 Harvey Awards and 8 Shuster Awards. In 2010 Essex County was named as one of the five Essential Canadian Novels of the Decade. He currently lives and works in Toronto with his wife and son.

Jock is the three times New York Times best-selling British artist best known for his comics work with writer Andy Diggle on DC/Vertigo's The Losers, the award-winning Batman: The Black Mirror and Wytches with writer Scott Snyder. Jock has also produced key art and concept design for films including Dredd, Annihilation, Star Wars: The Last Jedi and the Oscar-winning Ex Machina. Born in Glasgow, Scotland, he now lives and works in Devon, England.

• This looks interesting, as all things by Lemire and Jock usually do. But I have to reiterate my dismay at the number of sci-fi stories set in a frozen future. Unless we have a supervolcano explosion or nuclear exchange, Earth's future is going to be hot and arid. We won't be wearing furs; we'll be struggling to avoid heat stroke. And we're going to have serious water (and therefore food) shortages that will no doubt cause wars and mass migrations.

DC COMICS

ACTION COMICS #1034

AQUAMAN/GREEN ARROW: DEEP TARGET #5 (OF 7)

AQUAMEN #1

Story: Chuck Brown and Brandon Thomas | Art: Sami Basri and Adriano Lucas | Covers: Travis Moore,  Kael Ngu, Nick Robles, Jim Lee & Alex Sinclair, Alexis Franklin

Aquamen, a new ongoing comic book series, will launch out of the conclusions of Aquaman: The Becoming and Black Manta!

When a suicide bomber in Middle America is revealed as an Atlantean sleeper agent seemingly gone rogue, the Aquamen — Arthur Curry and Jackson Hyde — are on the case. But it soon becomes clear that the tragedy was not just a single bad actor, but the beginnings of a much larger and more dangerous chain reaction … and the heart of an explosive Atlantean conspiracy! If Arthur’s not careful, the secrets he’s keeping — from Mera, Tula, Tempest, Atlantis, the surface and even Jackson — could cause a rift from which the Aquamen might never recover!

• First issue!
  • I guess one way to broaden Aquaman's appeal is to add a black, gay also-Aquaman. Come to think of it, we already have a black also-Superman (Calvin Ellis), a black also-Wonder Woman (Nubia), a black also-Green Lantern (actually several) and now a black also-Batman (Jace Fox). We're turning into Earth-23!

BATMAN: THE IMPOSTER HC

Story: Mattson Tomlin | Art: Andrea Sorrentino and Jordie Bellaire

On February 22, Batman fans get a new and different look at Gotham’s guardian as he begins his war on crime in Batman: The Imposter, a hardcover book collecting the three-issue limited series released in October 2021. Localized print versions of the collection will also launch day and date in the following territories: Spain, Germany, Brazil, Mexico, Italy, France, Russia, the Czech Republic, Poland, Japan, South Korea, Turkey and Argentina.

Director and screenwriter Mattson Tomlin (Mother/Android, Project Power, Little Fish) has teamed up with Eisner-winning suspense and horror artist Andrea Sorrentino (Joker: Killer Smile, Batman: The Smile Killer, Green Arrow) and colorist Jordie Bellaire (Wonder Woman, Wonder Girl, Dark Knight Returns: Golden Child) to create a gritty, hard-boiled version of Gotham City, where every punch leaves a broken bone and every action has consequences far, far beyond Batman’s imagination!

Bruce Wayne’s mission as the Batman has only been under way for a year or so, but he can tell he’s making a difference. Unfortunately, he’s made some powerful enemies. All the traditional power brokers of Gotham resent the disruption the Batman has brought to town … and it seems one of them has a plan to neutralize him. There’s a second Batman haunting Gotham’s rooftops and alleys — and this one has no qualms about murdering criminals, live and on tape.

With the entire might of the Gotham City Police Department and Gotham’s rich and powerful coming down on his head, Batman must find this imposter and somehow clear his name … but how can you prove your innocence from behind a mask?

• I have been tradewaiting this. What I saw at the LCS (as individual issues) looked good.

BATMAN VS. BIGBY: A WOLF IN GOTHAM #6 (OF 6)

BLUE AND GOLD #6 (OF 8)

CATWOMAN #40

DC GENERATIONS TPB

DC VS. VAMPIRES #5 (OF 12)

DCEASED: HOPE AT WORLD'S END TPB

DEATHSTROKE INC. #6

DETECTIVE COMICS #1054

HARDWARD SEASON ONE #4 (OF 6)

HARLEY QUINN #12

HUMAN TARGET #5 (OF 12)

MAD MAGAZINE #24

REFRIGERATOR FULL OF HEADS #4 (OF 6)

ROBIN #11

TASK FORCE Z #5

TEEN TITANS ACADEMY #12

WONDER WOMAN: EVOLUTION #4

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

BARBARELLA #7

PURGATORI #5

RED SONJA (2021) #6

VAMPIRELLA/DRACULA UNHOLY #3

IDW PUBLISHING

ANIMAL STORIES GN

GI JOE A REAL AMERICAN HERO #289

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG #48

STAR TREK: KLINGONS ONE-SHOT

IDW, the proud home to Star Trek comic books and graphic novels since 2007, will explore strange new worlds beginning in February with Star Trek: Klingons, the first thrilling installment in a series of extra-long one-shots spotlighting the franchise’s many memorable alien species.

Writers Jackson Lanzing and Collin Kelly, two of the lead story architects on the critically acclaimed Star Trek: Year Five series, join the fan-favorite Timothy Green II (the artist of such sci-fi hits as Starlord, Annihilators and Animal Man) to relate the legend of Kahless the Unforgettable, the greatest warrior of the Klingon Empire, from the death of his coward brother Morath to his victory at Three Turn Bridge.

“I was, in large part, raised by Star Trek …  and no culture helped me come to terms with my masculinity, my anger, and my personal code of honor more than the Klingons,” says Lanzing. “So when I tell you the only thing more exciting to me than taking the Enterprise crew on their final journey in Star Trek: Year Five is getting to show the man behind the myth of Kahless The Unforgettable, you can believe it."

"The Klingon people provide a rich counterpoint to the Federation. They present a lifestyle that is loud and fearless, but also incredibly egalitarian and fair; no matter who you are, respect is earned, not given,” says Kelly. “We've been pitching this story since before we'd ever been hired to write Star Trek. We never in a million years thought it would be a story we actually got to bring to life. And with an artist of the caliber of Timothy Green II — whose detailed, beautiful work owes so much to the greats of Japanese tradition — this will be a saga worthy of Kahless."

Following February’s tale of the legendary Klingon warrior Kahless, IDW will continue its tour of prominent species with Star Trek: Ferengi in April, featuring the Milky Way’s most cunning and avaricious aliens. These special one-shots will provide fans with new stories set within the “prime reality,” while IDW’s massive Star Trek: Mirror War event (comprising a miniseries of nine issues and several spin-off one-shots) delves into the lore of the Mirror Universe and its evil Enterprise crew.

“There is no Star Trek without the vast population of alien species calling the universe home,” says editor Heather Antos. “From Klingons to Ferengi, Vulcans to Trill and beyond, it’s so exciting to delve deep into what makes each of the species a unique addition to the world of Trek, Mirrorverse, or otherwise!”

Star Trek: Klingons will be available with two cover variants for retailers and fans to enjoy, including Cover A by interior artist Timothy Green II and a Retailer Incentive edition by Alexandra Beguez.

• I thought this looked familiar enough that I should look it up, and sure enough, IDW did a series of one-shots in 2007-09 focusing on the alien races in Star Trek. The umbrella title was "Alien Spotlight" and it featured Andorians, Borg, Gorn, Klingons, Orions, Q, Romulans, Tribbles and Vulcans. Things have changed enough in the future since then that I guess a re-visit is in order.

STAR WARS HIGH REPUBLIC ADVENTURES #13

TRANSFORMERS: WAR'S END #1

In February, IDW will redefine the meaning of villainy with the first issue of Transformers: War’s End, a must-read four-part miniseries written by Brian Ruckley, the architect of IDW’s monthly Transformers continuity, and illustrated by Jack Lawrence (Transformers: Lost Light).

In War’s End, the infamous warlord Exarchon, who single-handedly plunged Cybertron into darkness long ago, has returned and reunited with his former generals, Shockwave and Skywarp. Cyclonus, a warrior haunted by the horrors of that ancient conflict, seeks a glimmer of hope by testing the allegiance of Decepticon leader Megatron, whose own evil machinations have so recently fractured civilization into warring factions!

War’s End is about unfinished business: for both the characters and for Cybertron as a whole. It’s the return of Cybertron’s traumatic past to upend its present ... and answers the question: If your planet has at its core the collective Spark of your entire civilization, just how vulnerable might that make you?” says Ruckley. “I love the fact that we will get to act this out with some of my favorite characters: Cyclonus, Team Stream, Pyra Magna, Geomotus and Exarchon. They all get to take center stage, play for the highest of high stakes, and discover their fates and their futures.”

"Up to now, my Transformers work has been post- or pre-war, so with War's End, I'm excited to contribute to the Cybertronian war itself. This story is, understandably, darker and grittier than what I've worked on before, so I'm looking forward to going shadowy and ominous with it. Plus, I get to draw characters I haven't worked with in a big way — characters I've loved for more than 35 years. There aren't really words for how incredibly exciting that is!” says Lawrence.

"Since launching in 2019, all our Transformers universe titles — the ongoing, Galaxies, Escape, Wreckers: Tread & Circuits, the 2021 Annual, the Valentine's Special, and the Halloween Special — have been the quilted pieces of an epic story, helmed by Brian Ruckley," says editor David Mariotte. "War's End and the ongoing series are where those threads weave together, showing the full picture of the Transformers mythos — past, present, and future — that we've been building for years."

Transformers: War’s End #1 will be available with multiple cover variants for retailers and fans to enjoy, each illustrated by fan-favorite artists long associated with IDW Transformers comics: Cover A by Angel Hernandez, Cover B by interior artist Jack Lawrence, and a Retailer Incentive edition by E.J. Su.

USAGI YOJIMBO LONE GOAT & KID #2

IMAGE COMICS

ARROWSMITH #2

BOLERO #2

DEADLY CLASS #51

DEPARTMENT OF TRUTH #16

EXCELLENCE VOL 2 TPB

GRRL SCOUTS: STONE GHOST #4

GUNSLINGER SPAWN #5

ICE CREAM MAN VOL 7: CERTAIN DESCENTS TPB

KILLADELPHIA #19

The bestselling sales beast Killadelphia by Rodney Barnes (Marvel’s Runaways, STARZ’s American Gods) and Jason Shawn Alexander (Spawn) will kick off a new story arc with Killadelphia #19 this February. This new chapter in the popular vampire crime comic will feature special “Noir Edition” issues which will showcase the interior artwork in black and white.

Killadelphia #19 is the perfect jumping-on point for new readers — and a pivotal turning point for the series. In it, the Undead detective James Sangster Sr. and his werewolf allies are about to make their final stand against vampire queen Abigail Adams and necromancer Thomas Jefferson. But shocking new revelations come to light as demons unearthed from America’s past threaten the very world as we know it!

Select praise for Killadelphia:

“If you love vampires that scare the shit out of you? You can find them in Killadelphia.” — Snoop Dogg

“It’s the best graphic novel I’ve ever read.” — Chris Rock

“The stunning and fresh horror fable I’ve been craving. This one feels like a classic.” — Jordan Peele

“[An] atmospheric horror story with a terrifyingly real sense of place.” — Brian K. Vaughan

Killadelphia is a tour de force. Rodney Barnes and Jason Shawn Alexander have created a book that's both poignant and huge, twisted fun. A vampire story for this exact moment.” — Scott Snyder, Nocterra, Undiscovered Country

"Sparely written, beautifully rendered and topical…a genuinely frightening horror graphic.” — Steven Barnes & Tananarive Due

"Rodney Barnes is one of the most exciting genre writers out there and Killadelphia is a great blend of poignant social commentary and riveting horror storytelling." — Matthew A. Cherry, Oscar winner Hair Love

"As if the hood needed more horror! The relationship between father and son is scary enough but Killadelphia added a whole other layer to it!!! I love horror, sci-fi, fantasy, and the hood through the lens of blackness! A truly unique graphic novel experience. Nothing like Killadelphia exists!!" — Lenard “CThaGod” McKelvey

“Killadelphia a speaks to race, class, culture and vampires. All things that lead to a captivating story. What isn’t there to love!!!” — Michael Strahan, Co-host of ABC's Good Morning America

MAN-EATERS VOL 4 TPB

MONSTRESS #37

NIGHT MARY TPB

OBLIVION SONG BY KIRKMAN & DE FELICI #35

PHONOGRAM VOL 1: RUE BRITANNA (FULL COLOR ED) TPB

ROCKSTAR AND SOFTBOY #1 ONE-SHOT

Fan-favorite cartoonist Sina Grace (Getting It Together) returns to writing and drawing for the first time in five years in the forthcoming Rockstar and Softboy. This one-shot story will be published by Image Comics and hit shelves in February 2022.

Rockstar and Softboy is a frenzied story following two best friends and their antics in Hollyweird, California. Rockstar plans the greatest house party ever as a means of lifting roommate Softboy’s spirits, but things take a gnarly turn when the dreaded PARTY ANIMAL shows up to make a mess of things ... and dredge up long held secrets between two BFFs who seemingly share everything!

Spawned from a bond strengthened between Grace and comic writer Josh Trujillo during a DC Comics pitch competition, the book promises a refreshing take on the buddy concept, and a few fantastic surprises along the way.

"As a fan of buddy movies like Romy and Michele's High School Reunion and Barb and Star Go to Vista Del Mar, it only just occurred to me that I can create a story of my very own where two gay besties throw a party that includes werewolves, vampires, zombies, witches and the reviled Party Animal," said Grace. "Rockstar and Softboy is pure, frenzied, loving, ratchet friendship in a comic book.”

SAGA #56

ST. MERCY TPB

STEP BY BLOODY STEP #1 (OF 4)

“My new favorite comic. Mysterious, inventive and heartfelt, without ever saying a word.”  — Jeff Lemire

Grand Prix and multiple Eisner award nominees Si Spurrier (X-Men), Matías Bergara (Coda), and Matheus Lopes (Supergirl) present Step By Bloody Step: a bittersweet fantasy opus about a nameless child and her giant guardian, which is completely text free. A miniseries in four double-sized issues, this watershed moment in modern comics is a co-production between Image and Éditions Dupuis, with the U.S. edition's #1 issue out from Image in February 2022 and the French edition — to be titled Saison de Sang — from Dupuis slated for June 2022.

Step by Bloody Step is an exquisitely designed story that puts the awe-inspiring artwork front and center, showing off what comics are truly capable of and eliminating language barriers in a unique and compelling way.

“My last collaboration with Matías Bergara, Coda, has picked up awards and nominations everywhere it’s gone. We knew our follow-up had to be even more ambitious. We set our sights on nothing less than a step-change in fantasy comics," said Spurrier. "Step By Bloody Step resounds with all the elements I love most — magic, mystery, monstrosity and the bond between two lost souls — but above all it’s an opportunity for Bergara and Lopes to shatter your senses with peerless storytelling spectacle and raw emotion. Love, after all, transcends any mere language.”

An armored giant and a helpless child. Together they cross an astonishing world brimming with beasts, bandits, and — deadliest by far — civilizations. If they stop walking, the earth itself forces them onwards. Why? The child can’t ask. She and her guardian have no words, no memory, nothing — except each other.

Bergara added: "For the first time in my career, I can indulge myself in the very challenging task of telling a story purely through images. And what a story it is. We put all our skill and hearts into it for all of you."

Early praise for Step by Bloody Step:

“A stunning feat … truly unique. Dazzles the eyes and swells the heart.” — Scott Snyder

“A gorgeous tale of humanity and love.” — Tula Lotay

“The best artists of their generation presenting masterful storytelling and astonishing visuals. Reminds me why I love comics so much." — Rafael Albuquerque

“One of the most absurdly beautiful books of the year.” — Bilquis Evely

“I love anything these guys do, but nothing more than this.” — Mark Millar

“Gorgeous, heartfelt, surreal … three of my favorite creators.” — Rick Remender

“Beautiful story. Reminds us why comics are a visual medium.” — Gabriel Bá

“An incredible silent tale.” — Fábio Moon

“A giant leap forward in fantasy comics.” — Gerry Duggan

“Haunting, ethereal and above all visually stunning.” — Al Ewing

“Entirely without words, this beautiful fantasy will leave you speechless too.” — Kieron Gillen

“Do not miss this stunning visual storytelling.” — Matt Wilson

“Jaw dropping beauty … storytelling at its purest and most elegant.” — Declan Shalvey

“How could one resist the invitation to join this journey? Let’s go!” — Leandro Fernández

“Spurrier, Bergara and Lopes have created something that celebrates everything comics can be; mysterious, inventive, bursting with imagination and also incredibly heartfelt without ever saying a word. Right to my pull list." — Jeff Lemire

• First issue!
  • Looks super-weird, and therefore super-interesting.

SUPERMASSIVE ONE-SHOT

Covers: Manna & Monti; Marcelo Costa, Abel & Durso

Two momentous new releases will join Kyle Higgins and Marcelo Costa’s Radiant Black in the Image Comics superhero universe in February 2022.

The month will kick off with an eye-melting, page-turning crossover superhero event in Supermassive one-shot by writers Kyle Higgins, Ryan Parrott and Mat Groom and artist Francesco Manna. Then, fans will be primed and ready to return to comic shops to get their hands on the pulse-pounding new ongoing series launch — Rogue Sun by writer Ryan Parrott (Mighty Morphin, Power Rangers, Dead Day) and artists Abel (Harley Quinn, Crimes of Passion) & Chris O’Halloran. 

“The best part of making comic books is the collaboration," said Higgins in an exclusive scoop about the announcement that ran on io9. "My favorite part is when that collaboration is with your friends. From Power Rangers to Ultraman, Mat, Ryan and I have done quite a bit of world building together. All of which feels a bit like a warmup act for what we’re building now. To echo Mat’s sentiment—there’s a reason we’re calling this Supermassive. Thirty years ago, Image changed the superhero game. This February, we’re excited to help kick off the next stage of where creator owned superheroes can go.”

Groom added to io9: "There's a tremendous freedom that comes with doing creator-owned comics. But that freedom comes with a responsibility — to experiment, to swing for the fences ... and maybe even to encourage people to rethink where the fence should be. I think anybody who has been reading Radiant Black can attest to the fact that Kyle and Marcelo have been living up to this responsibility — and I see Supermassive as not only continuing this, but escalating it dramatically. There's a reason we gave it that name!"

Manna said also: "One of the things I love most in the world of comics is the feeling between creators working on a project. It's a synergy that drives every story and every page to its best. That's what brings Kyle, Mat and I together again for this Supermassive story."

These two epic superhero drops will leave Radiant Black fans breathless and provide a jolt of high octane action to new readers interested in jumping in on the excitement.

Parrott comes to Image — after lending his talents to 50+ issues of Power Rangers — for his first image book by creating an original Image superhero. “I was 13 when Image Comics was born and I remember collecting every single one of those founding series. So the idea that 30 years later, I’d add a character to the ranks and become a part of this legacy is more than a dream come true," said Parrott. "To me, the beauty of the original Image shared superhero universe was that it was modern, accessible and free from the weight of massive corporate oversight. It felt like it was just a bunch of friends telling stories together and we wanted Supermassive to encapsulate that same spirit.”

First, 2021’s hottest new superhero Radiant Black launches into his first ever crossover event with the Image Comics debut of Inferno Girl Red — spinning out of the highly successful Kickstarter — which is coming to Image later next year and the first appearance of Rogue Sun! Power Rangers: Shattered Grid architects Higgins, Parrott, Groom and Manna (Marvel’s Ultraman) and colorist extraordinaire Igor Monti, unite for a one-shot, extra-length story so big it can only be called — Supermassive.

"It feels to me like Rogue Sun was never created; he just burst out in front of us. Being part of this is a thrilling flight in so many ways!" said Abel.

Next, Rogue Sun kicks 2022 into high gear when rebellious teenager Dylan Siegel discovers that the late superhero Rogue Sun was his estranged father, Marcus — and that he’s inherited his father’s mantle. Tasked with protecting our world from the forces of the supernatural — and solving his father’s murder — Dylan will be forced to come to terms with the man he’s spent the majority of his life hating. This new ongoing series is a supernatural murder mystery that explores the complicated bond between father and son and cements itself squarely in a corner of the Image Comics superhero universe.

• First issue!
  • So if I'm understanding this right, Skybound is building a superhero line out of Radiant Black? I thought they already tried that with Invincible.
  • Here's a preview.

TWO MOONS #10

MARVEL COMICS

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #90

BEN REILLY SPIDER-MAN #2

BLACK WIDOW #14

CAPTAIN MARVEL #36

CARNAGE FOREVER #1

Story: Phillip Kennedy Johnson, Ram V, Ty Templeton | Art: Edgar Salazar, Ty Templeton, more | Cover: Kendrick Lim

It’s been 30 years since Carnage slashed his way into the Marvel Universe and went on to become one of the most terrifying villains in comic book history. This February, Marvel is proud to celebrate this bloodthirsty icon in a special one-shot titled CARNAGE FOREVER. Featuring stories by an all-star assembly of creators including Phillip Kennedy Johnson, Ram V, Ty Templeton, and Edgar Salazar, this one-shot will be packed with violent stories from everyone’s favorite symbiote serial killer’s notorious past, present, and future!

Here’s what writer Phillip Kennedy Johnson, currently delivering shocking thrills in Marvel’s hit ALIEN ongoing series, had to say about the upcoming one-shot:

“What makes Carnage such a fun challenge to write is that everyone THINKS they know what to expect from him,” Johnson explains. “I’m a huge fan of horror stories in any medium, and getting to lean into the unbridled violence and terror of Carnage—while also finding new ways to subvert reader expectations—has made it a complete thrill.

“We’ve seen plenty of ‘slasher film’ takes on Carnage, and in Extreme Carnage we got to see him and his family in a sort of Manchurian Candidate context. For CARNAGE FOREVER, I wanted to show Carnage in an almost Exorcist-like setting. Without spoiling it, we see him make an unexpected bond with a very unexpected kind of character, with all the grisly and horrifying consequences Carnage fans have come to expect.”

Ram V also expressed his enthusiasm for the project:

“It’s been a lot of fun working in the Symbiote corner of the Marvel Universe. Now with Carnage Forever, I’m thrilled to have a chance to tell some absolutely twisted tales for the killer symbiote for this anniversary collection and perhaps seed some ideas for things to come!”

CARNAGE FOREVER #1 will also provide the first hints of Carnage’s visceral new era! That’s right, stay tuned in the coming weeks for the full announcement of Carnage’s new ongoing series launching in March!

• It sure is starting to feel like "Carnage Forever." Also "Venom Forever." And it's been "Wolverine Forever" since forever.

DARK AGES #5

DEVIL'S REIGN: VILLAINS FOR HIRE #2

DOCTOR STRANGE EPIC COLLECTION: REALITY WAR TPB

ELEKTRA BLACK WHITE BLOOD #2

EXTREME CARNAGE TPB

GHOST RIDER #1

Story: Benjamin Percy | Art: Cory Smith | Covers Kael Ngu, Taurin Clarke, Jorge Fornes, Salvador Larroco, Peach Momoko, Todd Nauck, Ryan Stegman, Skottie Young | Teen+ | $5.99

Next year marks the 50th anniversary of one of the most iconic characters in comics — GHOST RIDER! To celebrate this milestone, Johnny Blaze, the original Ghost Rider, will be returning this February in an all-new ongoing series written by Benjamin Percy with art by Cory Smith.

Known for his thrilling work on titles such as WOLVERINE and X-FORCE, Percy will put his own devilish spin on the Ghost Rider mythos, evoking all the frightening elements of Ghost Rider’s most classic stories while driving the Spirit of Vengeance towards a new age. And Cory Smith, known for his brutally beautiful artwork on titles such as CONAN THE BARBARIAN, is eager to bring the scorching action and hellish horror that only Ghost Rider can deliver! Together, this team of creators are hellbound to make this Ghost Rider’s most explosive era yet!

Johnny Blaze has the perfect life: a wife and two kids, a job at an auto repair shop and a small-town community that supports him. … But  Johnny isn’t doing well. He has nightmares of monsters when he sleeps. And he sees bloody visions when he’s awake. This life is beginning to feel like a prison. And there’s a spirit in him that’s begging to break out!

Here’s what Percy had to say about taking the reins: 

“I’m a horror head. I grew up reading Stephen King, watching John Carpenter, and listening to Black Sabbath, and when it came to comics, I always reached first for the dark and weird which means I read a hell of a lot of Ghost Rider. That flaming skull. That spiked leather jacket. That monstrous bike coughing out clouds of sulfurous exhaust. To this day, the sight of the character blazing along a midnight highway makes my heart rev like a four-stroke engine.

“Ghost Rider is arguably the best designed, but inarguably, the most heavy metal character in all of comics. It would be badass to write this series at any point in my life, but launching on the 50th anniversary feels especially (un)holy. Cory Smith is killing it on art, and we're going to honor the past while burning rubber into a terrifying future packed with mystery, action, and shadow-soaked emotion. Prepare yourself for the ultimate in road horror.”

“I'm incredibly excited to be riding shotgun with Ben Percy as we bring Ghost Rider screaming into his 50th anniversary,” Smith added. “As a comic nerd and a horror nerd, Ghost Rider has always been a favorite of mine so this project is a dream come true. Johnny Blaze, the Spirit of Vengeance is BACK. We're firing on all cylinders and I can't wait for everyone to see the hellfire we're bringing! It's about to get crazy!”

• I read a recent online review where some guy took a second look at the two Nicolas Cage movies. His summary was that in both movies the stories sucked, but Ghost Rider looked really cool. I almost wanted to explain to the child that that's the way Ghost Rider has always been.

IRON MAN #17

MARAUDERS BY GERRY DUGGAN VOL 4 TPB

MARVEL PORTFOLIO MARK BROOKS

MILES MORALES SPIDER-MAN #35

MS. MARVEL: BEYOND LIMIT #3

PHOENIX SONG ECHO #5

REIGN OF X VOL 9 TPB

SHANG-CHI #9

SILK #2

SILVER SURFER REBIRTH #2

STRANGE ACADEMY #16 

WARLOCK BY JIM STARLIN GALLERY EDITION HC

WAY OF X BY SI SPURRIER VOL 1 TPB

WHAT IF ORIGINAL MARVEL SERIES OMNIBUS HC VOL 2

WOLVERINE BY BENJAMIN PERCY VOL 3 TPB

X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE #3 (OF 5)

Story: Benjamin Percy | Art: Federico Vicentini | Cover: Adam Kubert | Parental Advisory | $4.99

While Logan fights his way through the past, who will protect the present? X DEATHS OF WOLVERINE #3 will star the “Wolverine family” as Wolverine (Laura Kinney), Daken, and Scout enter the fray as the dark side of Wolverine’s time-traveling mission comes into focus.

• I will get around to reading this soon, pinky swear.

X-FORCE BY BENJAMIN PERCY VOL 4 TPB

X-MEN OMNIBUS VOL 1 HC NEW PTG

OTHER PUBLISHERS

THE 100 GIRLFRIENDS WHO REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY, REALLY LOVE YOU VOL. 1

Story & Art: Rikito Nakamura Yukiko Nozawa | Translation: M. Fulcrum | Adaptation: MF Mackenzie | Lettering: Chris Burgener | Ghost Ship | Older Teen (15+) | 204 pages | $13.99

After 100 rejections, one young man has to make 100 girls happy, or else!

Aijo Rentaro has asked a hundred girls out and struck out every time. In desperation, he prays for guidance, only to be told by a god that his rejections were due to a cosmic mishap! Now this god will set things right by making sure Aijo gets one hundred dates. Except, as things often go with gods, there’s a catch: each of his one hundred dates is Aijo’s destined soulmate! Worse, if he doesn’t return their feelings, they’ll all die in horrible — and hilarious — accidents!

• First issue!
  • One hundred girls die in horrible, lethal and "hilarious" accidents, for no other crime than the male lead can't bring himself to love them? There's a streak of misogyny that occasionally shines through these adolescent-male-wish-fulfillment manga that makes me a little queasy. I guess I wouldn't have noticed when I was 13, though, and probably would have bought the book.

ACTION TANK GN

ARCADE WORLD CHAPTERBOOK VOL 2: ZOMBIE INVADERS GN

ARCHIE 1000 PAGE COMICS GLORY TPB

BAKEMONOGATARI VOL 12 GN

BATTLECATS VOL 3 #6

BELLE: QUEEN OF SERPENTS

BEST OF ATTACK ON TITAN COLOR EDITION HC

BLACK'S MYTH TPB

BLADE RUNNER ORIGINS #9

Story: K. Perkins, Mellow Brown | Art: Fernando Dagnino | Covers: Gene Ha, Fernando Dagninio, Robert Hack, Amancay Nahuelpan | Titan Comics | 32 pages | $3.99

Enter the world of Blade Runner: 2009 and discover the untold origins of the Blade Runners!

LAPD detective CAL MOREAUX has teamed up with an escaped experimental REPLICANT, who has been uploaded with the memories of a dead Tyrell Corporation scientist, whose suicide he was sent to investigate.

BLOOD ON SUNSET #3 (OF 5)

BLOOD ON TRACKS VOL 8 GN

CAVEWOMAN KILLER CURVES 3

CHEEKY BRAT VOL 2 GN

CHRISTMAS CAROLINE ANNUAL #1

CIRQUE DU FREAK MANGA OMNIBUS VOL 5 GN

COME OVER COME OVER

COVER OF DARKNESS #2

CROSS TO BEAR #4

DANCING WITH DRAGON #4 (OF 4)

A DARK INTERLUDE #3

Story: Ryan O'Sullivan | Art: Andrea Mutti | Covers: Ariela Kristantina, Rebekah Isaacs | Vault | $3.99

Vault is thrilled to announce the long-awaited return of A DARK INTERLUDE with new series artist, Piotr Kowalski. Beginning with Issue #3, A DARK INTERLUDE will return to its monthly release schedule.

“Usually when doing anything PR-related I'll just LARP as the book's protagonist, Henry Henry.(For example, the diamond solicits for A Dark Interlude #1-5 tell their own little story of Henry Henry spewing invective at Vault Comics' PR guy for forcing him to write the solicits.) However, this time I've elected to break kayfabe,” said series co-creator Ryan O’Sullivan.

“Piotr Kowalski is an incredible artist, and I'm extremely excited to have him join Vlad, Deron, Vault, and myself on the last three issues of A Dark Interlude. Seeing the Fearscape and its cast of characters through the eyes of Piotr's incredibly detailed pen has been breathtaking. Readers of the series are going to be blown away. 100% worth the wait.

“Admittedly, I usually hate it when art changes mid-way through a book, but given the metafictional nature of A Dark Interlude, we've gone ahead and made it part of the story. This was all part of my master plan, you see. The big delay between Issues 2 and 3? Why, I suppose you could say it was a ... Dark Interlude. An obviously intentional piece of comic-distribution-as-performance-art that allowed us to comment on the --" [Editor's note: the delay was due to COVID lockdown complications and had nothing to do with Ryan's "creative vision". Do not trust the creator of Henry Henry when he says he has "broken kayfabe." He is pathologically incapable of doing so. Please buy this book so we can finally be rid of him for good.]

A DARK INTERLUDE, the not-quite-a-sequel to FEARSCAPE, is written by Ryan O'Sullivan, drawn by Piotr Kowalski, colored by Vladimir Popov, lettered by Andworld Design, designed by Tim Daniel with covers Ariela Kristantina and Rebekah Isaacs.

DISTORTED #1

EDEN'S ZERO VOL 15 GN

EDGAR ALLAN POE`S SNIFTER OF DEATH #5 (OF 6)

EMO GIRL #1

FLYING WITCH VOL 10 GN

FRINK & FREUD GN

• I could have sworn this came out last year. In fact, I have a copy.

FROM BLOOD #2 (OF 3)

FROM THE RED FOG VOL 1 GN

GLAMORELLA'S DAUGHTER #4

GODDESS GIRLS VOL 1: ATHENA THE BRAIN GN

GODDESS GIRLS VOL 2: PERSEPHONE THE PHONY GN

GODS OF BRUTALITY #4 (OF 4)

GOLD DIGGER #286

GOLD DIGGER: GOLD BRICK V REMINTED EDITION TPB

GRIMM FAIRY TALES #57

HARBINGER (2021) #5

HEATHEN VAULT RESERVE EDITION #1

Story: Natasha Alterici | Art: Ashley Woods | Art/Cover: Natasha Alterici | Vault Comics | $7.99

Vault Comics is thrilled to announce that Natasha Alterici's HEATHEN returns to the single issue format for Vault’s 5th anniversary. HEATHEN’s return marks the launch VAULT RESERVE, a line of definitive collector's edition reprint publications featuring new and rare covers, exclusive back matter, and a deluxe, top-of-the-line presentation.

Created by Natasha Alterici, this international best-seller was selected as an American Library Association YALSA 2018 Great Graphic Novel For Teens, has seen more than 30 printings and is available in 36 countries around the world.

HEATHEN centers on the warrior Aydis, an outcast gay woman born into a time of warfare, suffering and subjugation of women. Aydis is a viking, a warrior, an outcast and a self-proclaimed heathen. Aydis is friend to the talking horse Saga, rescuer of the immortal Valkyrie Brynhild, and battler of fantastic monsters. Aydis is a woman. Born into a time of warfare, suffering and subjugation of women, she is on a mission to end the oppressive reign of the god-king Odin.

HEATHEN is currently in development for a feature film by Constantin Film and Prime Universe Films, with“Twilight” director Catherine Hardwicke attached to direct.

HEATHEN creator Natasha Alterici is a writer and artist living in Tulsa, Oklahoma who has been working as a freelance artist for more than 10 years. Works include HEATHEN, Dinosaur Project, Gotham Academy: Yearbook, Grayson Annual, The Lez Film Review, Mixed Signals, Lovers and Other Strangers, Transcience and a number of others.

• First issue!

HEATHENS #4

HEAVY METAL DRUMMER #1 (OF 6)

HEROES IN TRAINING VOL 1: ZEUS & THUNDERBOLT OF DOOM GN

HEROES IN TRAINING VOL 2: POSEIDON & SEA OF FURY GN

HINAMATSURI VOL 14 GN

HIS DARK MATERIALS: SUBTLE KNIFE HC

HITOMI CHAN IS SHY WITH STRANGERS VOL 3 GN

Story & Art: Chorisuke Natsumi | Translation: Avery Hutley | Adaptation: Patrick King | Lettering: Carolina Hernández Mendoza | Seven Seas | Teen (13+) | 160 pages | $12.99

A SLICE OF SHARK-TOOTHED LIFE

Hitomi-chan and her senpai Usami-kun are spending more and more time together, both at home and around town. As they get to know each other better, Usami finds himself wanting to get even closer to Hitomi, who seems to be opening up around him! Is their budding romance finally going somewhere?

• That is not what the Korean high school girls look like in All of Us Are Dead!

HOUSECAT TROUBLE VOL 1 GN

ICE CANYON MONSTER #1

I’M A WOLF, BUT MY BOSS IS A SHEEP! VOLUME 1 GN

Story & Art: Shino Shimizu | Translation: Hana Allen | Adaptation: David Lumsdon | Lettering: Elena Pizarro | Seven Seas | Teen (13+) | 160 pages | $12.99

A charming office romance where “a wolf among sheep” takes on a whole new meaning!

Oogami, a salaryman working for a bedding company, has a pretty standard routine. He does his work, keeps to himself, and hides his huge crush on his beautiful supervisor. Normally this does just fine for him, but when he’s suddenly transferred to his secret crush’s department, it’s a blessing and a curse. His biggest problem? He’s a literal wolf, while his boss and all his coworkers are sheep! This wolf-boy is in for more than a case of simple puppy-love …

• First issue!

IMPOSSIBLE JONES #3 (OF 4)

IN HIS OWN IMAGE #1 (OF 3)

JODOROWSKY LIBRARY: SON OF GUN PIETROLINO

• Sadly for my bank account, I have committed to getting these.

JOHN CARPENTER'S TALES OF SCI-FI: CIVILIANS #1 (OF 3)

KARL THE VIKING VOL 1 TPB

KINGJIRA ONE-SHOT

KIRURU KILL ME VOL 2 GN

LOVE AT FOURTEEN VOL 11 GN

LOVE OF KILL VOL 6 GN

MAMA AKUMA VOL 2 GN

MASTERFUL CAT DEPRESSED AGAIN TODAY VOL 3 GN

• That cat sure gets depressed a lot.

MONOLOGUE WOVEN FOR YOU VOL. 1

Story & Art: Syu Yasaka | Seven Seas | Teen (13+) | 136 pages | $14.99

A beautifully illustrated, full-color yuri love story at the intersection of two women’s conflicting passions.

Two women, one spotlight. Haruka has abandoned her dreams of the theater but finds herself still haunted by memories. Meanwhile, Nao chases her aspirations for the stage head-on, refusing to back down or let obstacles block her way. After the lives of these two theater geeks cross, their aspirations will either form their friendship or fuel their rivalry. When romance sparks, which will prevail in the end: love…or the stage?

• First issue!

MONTAGUE TWINS VOL 2: DEVIL'S MUSIC HC

• I could have sworn this came out last year.

MY DATE WITH MONSTERS #4

NINE STONES #7

NOBODY'S CHILD #6 (OF 6)

NOT ALL ROBOTS (MR)

OLYMPIA HC

by Bastien Vivès, Jérôme Mulot, and Florent Ruppert

Meet Alex, Carole, and Sam: the most notorious trio of cat burglars of the 21st century, starring in this graphic novel sequel.

Alex, Carole, and Sam use technology, know-how, and some serious chutzpah bordering on hubris to reinvent a profession that has lost much of its fun and insolence since the early 20th century. After successfully stealing Le Grande Odalisque by Ingrés from the Louvre, the art thieves have a new mission: nab Édouard Manet's Olympia — plus two other masterpieces — from the Petit Palais in Paris. Naturally, complications ensue, and not just from the fact that Carole is nine months pregnant at the time of the heist!

Forming a trio as formidable as their protagonists, Bastien Vivès, Jérôme Mulot, and Florent Ruppert deliver an explosive, grand symphony of adventure, as well as a very touching and funny character study in this eagerly anticipated sequel to The Grande Odalisque.

Also out this month: The Grande Odalisque & Olympia Box Set!

ONE-HIT WONDER TPB

ONE HUNDRED COLUMNS FOR RAZORCAKE COMPLETE COMICS 2003-2020

ONLY THE FLOWERS KNOWS VOL 1

OUR LITTLE SECRET HC

Emily Carrington | Drawn & Quarterly | $29.95

A memoir about trauma and writing yourself to a place of healing.

At 15, Emily is a relatively typical teenage girl living in the Maritimes. She lives with her eccentric dad as he prepares to build a log cabin. She rides her beloved horse and spends all her free time taking in the fresh air. But things aren't perfect, the winters are harsh and her dad's place is cold and draughty. Enter their neighbour who sees a girl in need and offers to lend a hand. Three words: "OUR LITTLE SECRET," and Emily's fate is sealed.

Twenty five years later, Emily is adrift and depressed when she spots her neighbour again on a ferry. The events of that long-ago winter come rushing back, and she is forced to reckon with the past anew. She vows that she will bring him to justice, tell her secret, and come to terms with the wounds that defined so many years of her life. Inept lawyers, expensive therapy, and a broken justice system block Emily's path to peace. Only when she rediscovers her youthful artistic talent by putting pen to paper does she see a way out.

Now in her fifties, Carrington has crafted a compulsively readable debut that shows a powerful command of the comics medium. Our Little Secret is a testament to survival and to the importance of telling your story your way.

OUR NOT-SO-LONELY PLANET TRAVEL GUIDE VOL. 2

Story: Mone Sorai | Tokyopop | Older Teen | 208 pages | $12.99

LGBTQIA+ friendly Boys Love title, Our Not-So-Lonely Planet Travel Guide from Mone Sorai continues. Part vacation guide, part gourmet tour, and part relationship exploration, follow Asahi and Mitsuki as they travel the world learning about themselves and others along the way.

Super-serious Asahi Suzumura and easygoing Mitsuki Sayama may seem like an odd couple, but they made a deal — they'll vacation together around the world, and when they return to Japan, they'll get married.

But after the first leg of their journey went so smoothly, perhaps it was inevitable that the next would hit some snags. Despite schedule mishaps and a surprise illness, the amazing food and new friends they find along their journey make up for any troubles. Even though they're far from home, each new destination is an opportunity to become closer to each other.

OUT #5

PACIFIC RIM BLACKOUT GN

PARANORMAL HITMEN TPB

PUELLA MAGI MADOKA MAGICA WRAITH ARC VOL 2 GN

PUKE BANTER GNARTOONS ONE-SHOT

QUAD #2

RADIO APOCALYPSE #2

RAW HERO VOL 6 GN

REAL ACCOUNT GN 15-17 OMNIBUS

REDSHIFT #5 (OF 6)

REIGN OF THE SEVEN SPELLBLADES VOL 2 GN

RISE OF DRACULA #3 (OF 6)

RUSH #4

SALTY SEDUCTIONS OF SALATIOUS SEA

SECOND PLACE #3 (OF 4)

SEMELPAROUS VOL 2 GN

SERIAL VOL 2: CAT AND MOUSE TPB

SEVEN DEADLY SINS OMNIBUS VOL 2 GN

SHELTER DIVISION #2 (OF 3)

SHEPHERD: THE VALENTINE #1 (OF 3)

SOUL EATER PERFECT EDITION VOL 6 HC

SPIDEY & HIS AMAZING FRIENDS: TEAM SPIDEY DOES IT ALL

SPIRITS & CAT EARS VOL 10 GN

STAR CROSSED VOL 4 GN

TAROT: WITCH OF THE BLACK ROSE #132 22ED ANNIVERSARY

TELEPATHS #6 (OF 6)

THE LAST SESSION #3

VAN HELSING BOXED SET

VIETNAM HORROR VOL 1

WE PROMISED UTOPIA #3

WE RIDE TITANS #2

WITH DOG AND CAT EVERYDAY IS FUN VOL 6 GN

WORLD OF ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #117

WORLD'S END HAREM FANTASIA VOL 6 GN

YAMADA KUN & SEVEN WITCHES VOL 21 PARTS 25 & 26 GN

YOU PROMISED ME DARKNESS VOL 1 TPB

YUKI VS PANDA #7

MAGAZINES

COMIC SHOP NEWS (90CT BUNDLE) #1801

HOBBY JAPAN DECEMBER 2021

ILLUSTRATION MAGAZINE #75

KITCHEN TABLE MAGAZINE #4

LOCUS #733

NEWTYPE NOVEMBER 2021

SCARY MONSTER MAGAZINE #125 MONSTER MEMORIES ANNUAL

BOOKS

86 EIGHTY SIX LIGHT NOVEL VOL 9 SC

ARKHAM HORROR GRIM INVESTIGATIONS SC

BANISHED HEROES PARTY QUIET LIFE COUNTRYSIDE NOVEL VOL 5 SC

BATMAN OFF COLORING BOOK SC

DEMON SWORD MASTER EXCALIBUR ACADEMY NOVEL VOL 5 SC

FINAL FANTASY XIV REALM REBORN ART OF EORZEA SC

I’M IN LOVE WITH THE VILLAINESS VOL. 4 LIGHT NOVEL

Story & Art: Inori Hanagata | Airship | Teen (13+) | 386 pages | $14.99

SAVING THE WORLD FOR EACH OTHER

Rae and Claire may have thwarted the assassination attempt on the pope, but life in the Nur Empire was never going to be easy. Intrigue abounds, from a brewing power struggle between the empress and her daughter, to the ever-present threat of Nur’s demon neighbors, to the growing fires of another revolution. Worse, yet another danger lurks just out of sight, one that threatens not only nations, but the entire world…

MARVEL UNTOLD NOVEL: THREE SWORDS SC

MIGHTY THOR MY MIGHTY MARVEL FIRST BOOK BOARD BOOK

QUIET THOUGHTS GN

RE ZERO SLIAW LIGHT NOVEL VOL 18 SC

SHE PROFESSED HERSELF PUPIL OF THE WISE MAN VOL. 3 (LIGHT NOVEL)

Story & Art by: Ryusen Hirotsugu fuzichoco | Translation: Wesley O'Donnell | Adaptation: Adam Lee | Interior Layout & Design: Clay Gardner | Airship | Teen (13+) | 330 pages | $14.99

DUNGEONS AND DOCUMENTS

Soul Howl’s trail has gone cold, so Mira heads back to Alcait Academy with the few clues she managed to find. With some help from her friend Solomon, they decipher that the answers she seeks are hidden below the Kingdom of Alcait. The Fool’s Wunderkammer is a labyrinth full of one-of-a-kind research and dangerous curiosities. Can Mira find what she’s looking for there … and make it out alive?

STAR WARS HIGH REPUBLIC YA HC NOVEL MISSION TO DISASTER

STAR WARS THRAWN ASCENDANCY SC BOOK 2 GREATER GOOD

TOM CLANCY DIVISION RECRUITED NOVEL SC

VILLAINESS TAMING THE FINAL BOSS NOVEL SC VOL 2 SC

WORLD OF READING THIS IS DR STRANGE & SCARLET WITCH

WORLDS FINEST ASSASSIN REINCARNATED WORLD NOVEL SC VOL 4

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• SIN CITY:

"I talked myself into buying these. But just like The White Album, this is the last time, I swear!"

Too late now, but if you'd've bought Dig Damn Sin City you'd never need to buy a Sin City again. 

STK636861.jpg?profile=RESIZE_710x

• One hundred girls die in horrible, lethal and "hilarious" accidents, for no other crime than the male lead can't bring himself to love them? There's a streak of misogyny that occasionally shines through these adolescent-male-wish-fulfillment manga that makes me a little queasy. I guess I wouldn't have noticed when I was 13, though, and probably would have bought the book.

There's lots of questionable stuff in manga. Even some of my favorites have elements that make it hard to recommend them without reservation.  However, my suspicion is that there will be something in this series that ameliorates the "deaths". They won't be permanent, or the girls will turn out not to be real, or some such, something in order to have this not turn out to be horrific.  I have no intention of reading it to find out.

And, yeah, you don't typically go to harem manga if you're looking for progressive, feminist thought.

• KILLER: AFFAIRS OF STATE #1

• First issue!
    • I rather liked the "Killer" graphic novels I read a while back, published by (I think) Archaia. What remains with me is the contrast of how the contract killer looked (nebbish-y) versus how he acted (ruthless).

The problem I had with Archaia series, was the individual issues were just a weird comic book size. The story, I loved. It just had a weird publishing schedule, of course, maybe I just missed it in Previews.

BLADE RUNNER ORIGINS #9 - I've really enjoyed Titan's vision of Blade Runner, I think it is the noir element that runs throughout the story.

• The Baron said:

One hundred girls die in horrible, lethal and "hilarious" accidents, for no other crime than the male lead can't bring himself to love them? There's a streak of misogyny that occasionally shines through these adolescent-male-wish-fulfillment manga that makes me a little queasy. I guess I wouldn't have noticed when I was 13, though, and probably would have bought the book.

There's lots of questionable stuff in manga. Even some of my favorites have elements that make it hard to recommend them without reservation.  However, my suspicion is that there will be something in this series that ameliorates the "deaths". They won't be permanent, or the girls will turn out not to be real, or some such, something in order to have this not turn out to be horrific.  I have no intention of reading it to find out.

And, yeah, you don't typically go to harem manga if you're looking for progressive, feminist thought.

I'm not being judgmental, though. There's plenty of objectionable stuff in American comics -- to us, so I can only imagine how they look to the Japanese. But sometimes something in both American comics and manga jumps up and pops me in the nose, and I comment. And I have no doubt that you're correct that the deaths are mollified somehow, like maybe the girls aren't even real. I mean, the book is going for comedy, and mass fatalities aren't funny.

• Travis Herrick (Modular Mod) said:

KILLER: AFFAIRS OF STATE #1

The problem I had with Archaia series, was the individual issues were just a weird comic book size. The story, I loved. It just had a weird publishing schedule, of course, maybe I just missed it in Previews.

I read Killer in collected form, so I didn't know about the odd size of the individual issues. That would annoy me as well.

• No, they certainly aren't.

Captain Comics said:

... mass fatalities aren't funny.

This reply was deleted.