THE TOP FIVE

Amazing Spider-Man #75

Marvel | Teen+ | $5.99

Story: Zeb Wells | Art: Patrick Gleason | Covers: Art Adams, Iban Coello, Patrick Gleason, Inhyuk Lee, Joe Jusko (Marvel Masterpieces), Alex Ogle, Ron Lim, Skottie Young

An all-star lineup of writers and artists have assembled to bring you one of the boldest sagas in Spider-Man history! Kicking off next month in AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #75, creators Saladin Ahmed, Cody Ziglar, Patrick Gleason, Zeb Wells, Kelly Thompson will team up on the thrice-monthly title and shake up the Spider-Man status quo beyond your wildest expectations. This revolutionary era will see the return of Peter Parker’s fan-favorite clone: Ben Reilly. Backed by the Beyond Corporation, Ben Reilly is more than ready to take over and be the best Spider-Man there ever was. Does he have what it takes? And what does Peter have to say about it? This fresh take on the Spider-Man mythos will introduce new foes, redefine classic villains, and make you rethink the whole concept of Spider-Man!

Here’s what Editor Nick Lowe had to say about this daring new era of AMAZING SPIDER-MAN:

“The whole point of working on Spider-Man is trying to put new unliftable weights on top of him — physical, metaphysical, emotional, psychological — and seeing if he can lift them. But what if that weight truly is too heavy? What if someone with the exact same skills and formative years could do better? Ben Reilly is back and, with Aunt May and Uncle Ben’s lessons in the back of HIS mind as well, he’s here to step in where Peter Parker failed. Can he accomplish things the original Spider-Man never could? These questions are what sold me on this story.

“When Zeb Wells started building this story it became apparent that it needed a narrative velocity and a team of the best of the best to make it happen. So we gathered some of the greatest writers and artists in comics to join us and the story got even better and bigger and more surprising.

“Zeb has proven through Amazing Spider-Man “Shed”, Spider-Man/Doc Ock: Year One and Hellions that he will bring the balance of hilarity and emotional devastation. Kelly Thompson’s work on Captain Marvel and Black Widow shows her to be the best mind for character work along with a fearless creativity that will keep you guessing. Saladin Ahmed is the rare writer who walks the tightrope of a book like his Eisner-Winning Black Bolt to his smash hit “Clone Saga” arc of Miles Morales: Spider-Man and his contributions shook us all. Fans from his time at the Distinguished Competition know Patrick Gleason isn’t only an artistic visionary (as proven recently from his Webhead covers) but also a highly-skilled writer whose Marvel debut is going to be the shot heard round the comics world. Cody Ziglar is a new name in comics, but the work he did for the upcoming Disney+ She-Hulk show and Rick and Morty showed us at Marvel that he is part of the next generation of Marvel superstar writers and he has not disappointed here.”

CC sez: Wait, wasn't Amazing Spider-Man #74 just last week? Yes, yes it was. The title is going thrice-monthly for a while. And this issue is the long-promised issue where, theoretically, we'll finally see Ben Reilly and the Beyond Corporation take control of the webs.

Darkhold Alpha #1

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story: Steve Orlando | Art: Cian Tormey | Covers: Greg Smallwood

For hundreds of years, scholars and heroes alike have searched for the Darkhold — a.k.a. the Book of the Damned, written by the elder god Chthon. Now Doctor Doom, one of the greatest sorcerers in the Multiverse, has found it, and Chthon has found him. To save them all, the Scarlet Witch recruits a group of the world’s greatest heroes: Iron Man, Wasp (Janet Van Dyne), Black Bolt, Blade and Spider-Man. But in order to enter Chthon's dimension and fight him, the heroes must read from the legendary Darkhold, which drives them utterly insane. Together, they’ll have to confront their inner darkness to overcome of the most powerful mystical threats the Marvel Universe has ever faced.

“At last, we’re ready to open the Darkhold together,” Orlando said. “Scarlet Witch and Doctor Doom are two of Marvel’s most intimidating icons! And I am so excited for you all to get on board with this journey that pushes Wanda to the limit, as five of Marvel’s biggest heroes must overcome the nightmares held by the Darkhold’s pages, to stand with Wanda against one of her oldest enemies."

CC sez: I'm beginning to think the whole "Last Annihilation" event was just an excuse to power up Dr. Doom for this event. Could be wrong, though.

Jennifer Blood #1

Dynamite | $3.99

Story: Fred Van Lente | Art: Vincenzo Federici | Covers: Lucio Parrillo, Joseph Michael Linsner, Leirix Li, Jung-Geun Yoon, cosplay

So ... once upon a time, a suburban housewife spent her nights as a mobster-murdering assassin, named JENNIFER BLOOD. Then she died ... or did she? Because in the cozy cul-de-sacs of Bountiful, Utah, a noticeable number of normal people have gone missing. And by "normal," I mean "mobsters under witness protection." And by "missing," I mean killed by someone that looks, sounds, and murders a lot like JENNIFER BLOOD ...

CC sez: If I was a female, covert assassin, the first thing I would do is dress in the most daring, sexy and provocative clothes I could, guaranteeing that no one would notice me! Oh, wait ...

Yes, it's a comic book convention for women to always dress sexy, so I accept it. But every once in a while, like in this case, the convention jumps up and reminds me how silly it is. Which is not to say Jennifer Blood will suffer for it. I expect it to be on a par with other Dynamite offerings, which is usually pretty high quality.

A Righteous Thirst for Vengeance #1

Image | Mature | $3.99

Story:  Rick Remender | Art/Cover: Andre Araujo, Chris O'Halloran | Variants: Bengal, Farel Dalrymple, Sanford Greene (1:10 copy incentive), Tula Lotay (1:25 copy incentive) | Rafael Albuquerque (1:50 copy incentive)

When an unassuming man stumbles upon a dark-web contract assassin’s vicious plot to kill an innocent target, he turns himself into one. The Professional meets Road to Perdition in this story of a family’s unlikely guardian being hunted by rich and powerful men who are used to getting away with everything.

“After years of wanting to work with André I couldn’t be more excited to get this into the world," said Remender at ScreenRant. "It’s a decompressed atmosphere story unlike anything we’ve ever done before and the exact type of methodical crime book I’ve always wanted to do.”

Araújo added: "When Rick and I finally got together after years of planning it, we knew we had to try and push for something special. Our storytelling approach, a decompressed and carefully crafted narrative, became our key to do just that. This is something I've always dreamed of doing and I'm beyond thrilled to share this with everyone else."

CC sez: Wow, great "casting"! That guy has "brainless thug" written all over him, and is about the last guy you'd expect to be working a cunning scheme.

Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super-Spectacular one-shot

DC Comics | $9.99

Story: Becky Cloonan, Michael W. Conrad, Jordie Bellaire, Mark Waid, Tom King, Steve Orlando, G. Willow Wilson, Amy Reeder, more Art: Jim Cheung, Paulina Ganucheau, Jose Luis Garcia-Lopez, Amy Reeder, Evan Doc Shaner, Isaac Goodheart, Gabriel Picolo, more | Covers: Yanick Paquette, Will Murai, Cat Staggs, Bruce Timm, Jen Bartel, Amy Reeder, Michael Cho, Travis Moore, Cliff Chiang

Put on your tiaras and prepare your indestructible bracelets! DC is inviting you to join us for a one-of-a-kind special showcasing Wonder Woman’s past, present and future to celebrate the legacy she has created and those she will continue to inspire with her adventures for years to come. This oversize super spectacular features work from some of the very best in the comic industry along with bright young stars ready to share the spotlight with Diana. You won’t want to miss these new stories that capture timeless messages of hope and empowerment presented together in this gorgeous keepsake issue!

CC sez: I'll get this issue, but I have no idea where to get all the variant covers. Sorry, Jeff!

OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

Captain Marvel #33

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Kelly Thompson | Sergio Davila | Gerald Parel, Joe Jusko (Marvel Masterpieces variant), Gerald Patel

"THE LAST OF THE MARVELS" PART 2 The Marvels are under attack! First they came for the captain... now they're after the youngest to bear the title. Carol races to save Kamala

Khan, but no one knows — least of all Carol — what the Dark Marvels are up to next...or who they'll target. And this time, not even the dead are off-limits. Kelly Thompson and Sergio Dávila deliver a shocking reveal — the first of many!

CC sez: This event slipped by my radar somehow. "Last of the Marvels" started last month in Captain Marvel #32, and will include almost everybody who ever called themselves Captain Marvel or Ms. Marvel, including Carol Danvers, Kamala Khan, Genis-Vell, Phyla-Vell, Monica Rambeau and Noh-Varr. Yes, it will also include the very dead Mar-Vell (somehow), but not, oddly, the also very dead Khnn'r (the Skrull Captain Marvel imposter in "Secret Invasion" whose mind was overwritten by Mar-Vell and who believed himself to be the genuine article).

Cimmerian: Beyond the Black River #1

Ablaze | $3.99

Story: Robert E. Howard, Mathieu Gabella | Art: Anthony Jean | Covers: Clara Tessier, Anthony Jean, Breno Tamura, Fritz Casas

Robert E. Howard's Conan is brought to life UNCENSORED! Discover the true Conan, unrestrained, violent, and sexual.  Read the story as he intended!

The Picte country is an obscure jungle where the border between civilization and barbarism is thin. Only one thing symbolizes it: the Black River, which it is claimed that no white man was able to cross and come back alive. None, except Conan. It is in the heart of this green hell that the Cimmerian meets Balthus, a young voluntary peasant whom he saves at the last minute from the clutches of fierce Pictish warriors. Together, they will try to lend a hand to the colonists who have established themselves here, on these hostile lands, in the last bastion of civilization. With a dozen men, they will have to find the powerful sorcerer Zogar Sag before he succeeds in uniting the clans and initiating his bloody invasion ...

CC sez: IIRC — and there's no guarantee that I do — this is the REH story that made me realize in high school how few named characters survive to the end of a Conan story. In this one (and, again, I'm relying on 50-year-old memories) the narrator doesn't survive, nor does a really cool battle dog that I was hoping would stick around. Whether my memory about this specific story is correct or not, the idea is valid enough that my friends and I did a skit in high school based on the idea that being friends with Conan is the moral equivalent of being a redshirt. Everyone around him who isn't a hot chick always ends up as collateral damage (and even that didn't help Belit).

Inkadently, Cover D below is an homage to Incredible Hulk #377 (Jan 91, posted below).

Dark Ages #2 (of 6)

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Tom Taylor Art/Cover: Iban Coello | Variant: Meghan Hetrick

The world outside your window … is about to end. Starting in September, New York Times best-selling writer Tom Taylor (X-MEN: RED, ALL-NEW WOLVERINE) and Marvel's Stormbreaker artist Iban Coello (VENOM, BLACK KNIGHT: CURSE OF THE EBONY BLADE) will present readers with a shocking new vision of the Marvel Universe in DARK AGES. The highly anticipated limited series will introduce a world plunged into darkness after your favorite heroes unite against a new threat — and fail. Fascinating new takes on your favorite heroes and villains await in a saga that asks the question “who were you when the lights went out?”

In October, DARK AGES #2 will pick up years after the incident that ushered in the end the age of technology. Now it’s up to Earth’s heroes to bring humanity together in the darkness. X-Men and Avengers, vigilantes and villains all work together to create something better. But something darker than the night is descending on the world and this post-apocalyptic world is about to face Apocalypse.

CC sez: You know, Marvel, if you keep telling us the plot twist, which is that the good guys fail, I have very little incentive to pick this up.

DC Horror Presents: Soul Plumber #1 (of 6)

DC Comics | 17+ | $3.99

Story: Marcus Parks, Henry Zebrowski, Ben Kissel | Art/Covers: John McCrea

Edgar Wiggins, a disgraced former seminary student, is desperate to find a way to answer what he believes is his higher calling. He thinks he’s found it in a seminar hosted in a hotel conference room by the Soul Plumbers, who have a machine that could be the secret to delivering souls from Satan. Edgar’s too broke to buy in, but that’s not enough to stop this true devotee: he steals the blueprints and builds a pirated version with what components he can afford on his gas station attendant salary.  Then he goes after a demon, misses… and ends up pulling out something much worse.

“My first comic book was Swamp Thing #32 when I was five years old,” said writer Marcus Parks. “So doing a gross, weird horror comic with DC, featuring art by John McCrea no less, is beyond my wildest fantasies.”

Writer Henry Zebrowski added, “My mom showed me a homework assignment I did in the first grade that asked ‘what do you want to be when you grow up,’ and I wrote comic book writer. This is a dream come true and I can’t wait for you to see the gross story we are telling with DC.”

SOUL PLUMBERS marks the second title in the DC HORROR imprint. “We want to create great stories for people to read, that are scary, creepy, and fun for fans of horror whether or not they’re already comics readers,” said DC Horror editor Katie Kubert. “We’re building on the legacy from classics like House of Secrets with something that’s gross, and scary, and just fantastic.”

CC sez: I still don't know the difference between this line and DC's other horror books in the Black Label line, but here's another one.

Eternals Celestia #1

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Story:  Kieron Gillen | Art: Kei Zama | Covers: Esad Ribic, Nelson Blake, Rob Liefeld (Deadpool 30th Anniversary)

THERE IS NO GOD FOR THE ETERNALS!

Now that the truth of their existence is revealed, Ajak and Makkari must pick up the pieces and try to find a road forward ... no matter how terrifying it will be, or how their choices will irrevocably shock the rest of the Eternals? Also: How do the Avengers of 1,000,000 BCE figure into it?

The mythos behind the Eternals is currently being redefined in the pages of Kieron Gillen and Esad Ribić’s acclaimed ongoing ETERNALS series. And this October, Gillen will continue to expand on the fascinating past and future of Jack Kirby’s iconic creation in a new one-shot: ETERNALS: CELESTIA #1. The latest chapter in this bold new era will focus on Ajak and Makkari whose quest for answers leads them into a fierce battle against a certain group of Avengers.

Now that the truth of their existence is revealed, Ajak and Makkari must pick up the pieces and try to find a road forward ... no matter how terrifying it will be, or how their choices will irrevocably shock the rest of the Eternals? And how do the Avengers of 1,000,000 BCE figure into it?

"When developing Eternals, Ajak and Makkari were two of the characters I was most excited about,” Gillen said. “I had so many ideas. The problem was trying to find a place to introduce them in a way which gives enough space to show what a fascinating, funny and genuinely heartbreaking odd-couple they are. Suffice to say, this is the space, and I can't wait to show what Kei, Esad and I have cooked up with them. Also, taking the Avengers of 1,000,000 BCE out for a spin. I'll be honest — the first time I saw Ghost Rider on the back of a Mammoth, I did think ‘I'll be having some of that, thank you very much.’”

CC sez: Wait, I haven't been reading the new Eternals series. What's "the truth of their existence"? Just taking a wild guess, I bet it lines up the comics Eternals better with the movie Eternals.

Fire Power #16   

Image | $3.99

Story: Robert Kirkman | Art/Cover: Chris Samnee

Today Image/Skybound revealed a first look at Fire Power by Kirkman & Samnee #16, putting Owen and his family in more danger than ever before courtesy of superstars Robert Kirkman, Chris Samnee and Matthew Wilson.

After Ling Zan’s shocking return, Owen and Kellie have realized no one — not even their family — is safe from the Serpent's Omen. But as they risk everything to protect their family, Wei Lun begins to put together the pieces ... and the Serpent’s Omen makes their move!

“A combination of quiet family drama and kung-fu action, held together with a clever script and truly amazing art, making for a really good comic.” — Major Spoilers

CC sez: Yep, sure looks like I'm going to get a press release for every issue of this series now.

The Lot #4 (of 4)

Bad Idea | 32 pages | B&W | Teen+ | $5.99

Story: Marguerite Bennett | Art/Cover: Renato Guedes

PLUS: An All-New BAD IDEA B-SIDE

In the 1970s, legendary filmmaker Oliver Larsen began production on what was to be his horror masterpiece. Obsessed with authenticity, the megalomaniacal director insisted on filming a real-life occult ritual performed by actual cult members. The cast and crew, of course, gave no credence to the cultists' beliefs, but soon were proselytised as something awoke that day on the studio lot. In the bloody aftermath, the production was permanently shut down, the footage suppressed, and the soundstage that bore witness forever shuttered.

Until today.

Aviva Copeland is the newly promoted studio head —- the youngest in decades. Great things are expected of her. Maybe greater than is fair. She has the unenviable task of restoring the studio's fading image and resurrecting its financial viability. She's up for the challenge. Poring over the sea of red in the company ledger she finds just the thing to help her do it —- a prime piece of California real estate has been sitting unused on the studio books, hemorrhaging money for decades. Why would they let a lot this valuable just rot? Aviva will soon find her answer and with it she will discover that though the lot may have been closed for a half-century, it’s far from empty … and the evil that lives within its haunted walls will soon seize its chance to kill again.

CC sez: Isn't this the same basic premise as R.L. Stine's Just Beyond?

Pyrate Queen #2 (of 4)

Bad Idea | 32 pages | No Ads | $7.99

Story: Peter Milligan | Art: Adam Pollina | Colors: Tamra Bonvillain | Cover: Adam Pollina & Tamra Bonvillain

PLUS: An All-New BAD IDEA B-SIDE

This September, embark on a tale of love, loss, life, death and bloody revenge! Meet Monday Ryan, a pyrate with a bad reputation and a price on her head. To be a pyrate is to live a short and merry life and to live it free. It ends for most with a length of rope and a four-foot drop.

After a series of successful attacks, Monday Ryan, her husband, and her crew of bandits are targeted and pursued relentlessly by the British Royal Navy. When a violent trap leads to their capture, Monday and crew are fitted for the gallows — until the Royal Navy learns that Monday’s pregnant. Civility prevents the hanging of a pregnant woman, and Monday is spared the noose, but her crew and husband are not. Set adrift on a small raft and left to her fate on the open sea, Monday vows that the life growing inside her will be born into a world where its father’s death has been avenged. She will find and kill every last soul responsible for her husband's death, and her baby will enter into this world free of vengeance, free of bloodshed and free of a future drenched in violence.

CC sez: What's the difference between a pyrate and a pirate? No, that's the not the set-up to a joke, I genuinely don't know. There probably is a joke in there somewhere about "iron pyrate" and fool's gold.

But there's nothing new about female pirates or using pregnancy to postpone the rope (See: Ripper Street.) As much as love Vikings, pirates never did much for me.

Rick & Morty Presents Snuffles Goes to War #1

Oni Press | $4.99.

Story: Chris Daniels | Art/Cover: Devaun Dowdy | Variant: Sarah Stern

Years ago, Morty's dog Snuffles left Earth to find a planet for his fellow canine-kind. Now, at the height of their canine empire, WAR IS COMING. It's dog vs. squirrel in a cosmic battle for the future of all GOOD DOGS!

CC sez: Heads up, Rick & Morty fans!

This is How I Disappear TPB

Drawn & Quarterly | 208 pages | B&W | $24.95

Story/Art/Cover: Mirion Malle | Translation: Aleshia Jensen, Bronwyn Haslam

Mirion Malle paints an empathetic portait of a young woman wrestling with psychological stress and the trauma following an experience of sexual assault. Filled with 21st century idioms and social media communication, This Is How I Disappear opens a window into the lives of young people as they face a barrage of mental health hurdles. Scenes of sisterhood, fun nights out singing karaoke, and impromptu FaceTime therapy sessions show how this generation is coping, connecting and healing together.

"I want to give this book to all the people I love! Malle's unique sensitivity and amazing poetic drawings are like a bandaid and a treat at the same time. This is How I Disappear is my favourite comic of the year." — Penelope Bagieu, Brazen

CC sez: I don't know any more about this than what is posted here. They sent me a big preview, so I feel honor-bound to post it.

Zorro: Flights #1

American Mythology | $3.99

Story: Don McGregor | Art: Vincenzo Carratu | Cover: Roy Allen Martinez, Carratu, a Limited Edition Color Photo Cover, “Century Edition” Black & White Photo Cover (only 100 printed)

Veteran comic book scribe Don McGregor — the man who breathed four-color life into Marvel Comics’ Black Panther and Killraven, among others; DC Comics’ Nathaniel Dusk; as well as his own Detectives, Inc. and Sabre – joins the ranks of American Mythology Productions with his long-awaited return to “The Fox” with Zorro: Flights.

Making his start in comicdom writing stories for the legendary Warren Publishing, he moved on to Marvel Comics in 1972 as a proofreader before establishing himself as a writer and editor. He also wrote Batman and other characters at the Distinguished Competition, and is well-known for his renowned work on Zorro for Topps Comics and Papercutz, respectively.  

With this three-issue limited series featuring art by Vincenzo Carratu and Claudio Avella, McGregor sets Zorro on an adventure for the first time in 15 years by bringing him face to face with a fire-breathing dragon. But something doesn’t seem right. Although the creature soars in the air breathing fire and fury, it appears to be controlled by mere man.

“Don McGregor is one of the grandmasters of comics,” said American Mythology President James Kuhoric. “His work has broadened readers’ horizons and stirred their souls for more than five decades. His latest project, Zorro: Flights, which we here at American Mythology are proud to present, is sure to thrill his many longtime fans while appealing to countless new ones.”

CC sez: You really can't go wrong with The Fox. Plus: Don McGregor!

EVENTS/CROSSOVERS

FEAR STATE

Arkham City: The Order of the World #1 (of 6)

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Dan Watters | Art: Dani | Covers: Sam Wolfe Connelly, Francesco Mattina

The Joker’s attack on Arkham Asylum left the long-standing Gotham establishment in ruin, most of the patients killed or missing, and only a handful of surviving staff — a few nurses, a gravely injured security guard, and one doctor. In the chaos of the assault, it is believed that several of the asylum’s patients escaped and scurried off into the dark nooks and crannies of Gotham City. Now, these Arkhamites walk among us, and it’s up to the Asylum’s one remaining doctor, Jocasta Joy, to round up her former patients. Meet these Arkhamites: a woman with no face, a pyggy in search of perfection, a man who feels nothing and burns everything, a woman who must devour life to save herself, a man unfit for the waking world who looks instead for Wonderland, a body with more than one soul, a being unbound from time who lives in the present and the past, a boy who seeks the comfort of vermin, and the twisted man who sees them all for who they are. And witness the avenging angel who stalks them. This fall, join writer Dan Watters and artist Dani on an odyssey through the deepest depths and darkest shadows of Gotham City and find all-new reasons to fear the night.

CC sez: I read somewhere that "Fear State" has a definite length, so maybe it won't lead to the endless, dreary hopelessness of "Future State." We can only hope.

Batman #114

DC Comics | $4.99

Story: James Tynion IV, Brandon Thomas | Art: Jorge Jimenez, Jason Howard | Covers: Jorge Jimenez, Jorge Molina

Batman is racing against time to stop Gotham City from tearing itself apart as the Scarecrow’s long game is revealed. The Dark Knight has bigger problems though, as an insane Peacekeeper-01 is on a murderous rampage through the streets of Gotham! Can Peackeeper-X stop him?! Back-Up: Clownhunter has been doused with Fear Toxin at the hands of the Scarecrow, and he is living out every anxiety, moment of pain, and heartbreak he’s ever had. Will he find his way out and resume his goal of being Gotham’s protector from clowns? Or will he succumb to Scarecrow’s greatest mind game yet?! See the end of this epic story that will change Clownhunter’s trajectory in Gotham City forever!

CC sez: If nothing else, Harley might brighten the Bat-books up a little. God knows they could use a little humor.

HALLOWEEN

Are You Afraid of Darkseid? #1 one-shot

DC Comics | $9.99

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Dan Hipp

Story By Elliott Kalan, Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing, Jeremy Haun, Kenny Porter, Calvin Kasulke, Terry Blas, Ed Brisson, And More. Pencils And Inks By Max Dunbar, Mike Norton, Jesús Hervás, Chris Mitten, Garry Brown, And More. Gather ’round the fire, fellow campers, because it’s time for that most terrifying of traditions — campfire stories so scary you’ll never sleep without a night-light again! The Teen Titans guide those brave enough through tales of Batman and the hidden killer, Superman and Lois Lane and the killer in their back seat, Harley Quinn and Darkseid versus a furious Bloody Mary, and four more stories so hair-raising you’ll call your momma to come pick you up. So toast your marshmallows, pull up a s’more, and answer the only question that matters this Halloween: Are you afraid of Darkseid?

CC sez: Well, of course Darkseid would be the bogeyman in the DCU! Who else is more nightmarish?

Archie's Halloween Spectacular #1

Archie | $2.99

Story: Bill Golliher | Art: Bill Galvan | Cover: Dan Parent

We're kicking off this hauntingly hilarious collection of Archie tales with a BRAND NEW STORY! In "Pumpkin Problem-o," when Archie unknowingly rebuffs a witch friend of Sabrina's he wakes up Halloween morning with a Jack-o-lantern head complete with the cross hatching on the side! Even worse, he can't convince anyone it's real and not a costume! Will our pumpkin-headed friend turn back to a teen before midnight-or will he forever be stuck as an Arch-o-lantern? All that and more in this frightfully fun Halloween special!

CC sez: There's nothing frightening about that price!

Chamber of Terror #1

Advent | $2.99

Story: Tony Kittrell, Gary Goldstein | Art: Zipactli Jl (CA) Rachel Lachance, Cristian Docolomansky | Art/Cover: Alessio Nocerino

In this creepy Halloween Special, two chillingly frightening tales are told within the dark corners of the Advent Universe. In "Dark Pathways" evil comes to a small Midwestern town, and in "Djinn" a malevolent entity seeks freedom at any cost.

CC sez: I had to look this publisher up, and didn't find much on its website other than the usual PR puffery. But, hey, a seasonal offering.

MARVEL MASTERPIECES VARIANTS

Acclaimed artist Joe Jusko’s iconic Marvel Masterpieces trading card illustrations are cemented into the hearts of every Marvel fan who grew up in the '90s, and now readers can treasure them all over again in a brand-new collection of 23 variant covers!

• On sale 10/06/21: Amazing Spider-Man #75, Captain Marvel #33, Excalibur #24, Hellions #16
  • On sale 10/13/21: Amazing Spider-Man #76, Avengers #49, Immortal Hulk #50, Iron Man #13, X-Force #24, X-Men #4
  • On sale 10/20/21: Death of Doctor Strange #2, Fantastic Four #37, S.W.O.R.D. #9, Thor #18, Wolverine #17, X-Men: The Trial of Magneto #3
  • On sale10/27/21: Amazing Spider-Man #77, Black Widow #12, Daredevil #35, Inferno #2, Marauders #25 (Cover A), Marauders #25 (Cover B)
  • On sale January 2022: Black Panther #3

CC sez: I can't remember if I collected these back in the day. Some are pretty nice. But note the awful '90s costumes on Black Widow and Cyclops.

APROPOS OF NOTHING

In DC's ship list this week, this cover (Justice League Infinity #4) ...

... was followed by this cover (MAD #22)

... and it made me laugh. That is all.

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN

Belle Headless Horseman one-shot

Zenescope | $5.99

Story: Dave Franchini | Art:  Igor Vitorino | Covers: Igor Vitorino, Harvey Talibao, Josh Burns

Be sure to hang onto your head, and hang on for the ride in this next pulse-pounding, monster-filled 32-page story!

From stories that span centuries, the Headless Horseman has roamed woods and battlefields seeking the lives of those who have strayed from the fight taking that, which he no longer has, their heads. As some legends are made, others are born, and Anabelle "Belle" DiMarco happens to be so lucky. Descended from a bloodline of hunters of beasts and otherworldly creatures, she is destined to take on those that creep from the shadows, reaching into our world waiting for a hero to battle them back. So what happens when beast hunter meets horseman? Find out here when legends collide!

CC sez: I'm not sure who or what Belle is (other than a typically well-endowed Zenescope heroine), but here she is fighting the famous Headless Horseman. Fun fact: Washington Irving didn't invent the monster. He goes back to Irish and Scots folklore, and a horseman carrying his head under his arm is the main protagonist in Sir Gawain and the Green Knight.

Billy the Kit #1  

Blue Juice | $3.99

Story: Justin Gray | Art/Cover: Barry McClain

The Wild West has never been wilder! Introducing Billy the Kit, featuring a gunslinging rabbit seeking revenge against the Tornado God that killed his family. Why was this sickly, skinny rabbit spared such a gruesome fate? What makes him so special? With the help of Luther the Goat, a profanity-spewing martial arts master, Billy relies on faith, magical firearms, and kung fu to wage war against the pagan gods and monsters of a bygone era. Co-created by Ringo-Award winning writer Justin Gray and artist Barry McClain Jr., digital paints by Slamet Mujiono.

CC sez: Blue Juice has provided an enormous preview, so you can decide for yourself your level of interest in gunslinging rabbits and kung-fu-fighting goats.

Click here for a 20-page preview.

Chicken Devil #1

Aftershock Comics | $4.99

Story: Brian Buccellato | Art/Cover: Hayden Sherman

Mitchell Moss is about as regular as it gets. He's married with two children, and co-owns a successful chain of Memphis Hot Chicken restaurants. It's not the life that screams hero/vigilante ... until he discovers that his business partner is in bed with the mob and owes them $2 million. Unfortunately, Mitch is ill-equipped to be a badass — he's just a guy who makes really good chicken. Can he protect his family from cold-blooded gangsters? Absolutely not.

But maybe the CHICKEN DEVIL can ...   

Writer Brian Buccellato (Detective Comics, The Flash, Witchblade) and artist Hayden Sherman (COLD WAR, MARY SHELLEY MONSTER HUNTER) serve up a darkly comedic crime drama that's juicy, tender and finger-lickin' hilarious.

CC sez: If you're the right age, right now you might be thinking of the most fantastic crimefighter the world has ever known. Other than that, I'm intrigued that the story is set in Memphis, where we really do have a lot of mom & pop hot wings joints.

As for the book itself, I've asked my LCS to locate me a copy, but it's long past FOC and I don't really expect it.

Discipline GN

New York Review Comics | $27.95

Story/Art: Dash Shaw

During the Civil War, many Quakers were caught between their fervent support of abolition, a desire to preserve the Union, and their long-standing commitment to pacifism. When Charles Cox, a young Indiana Quaker, slips out early one morning to enlist in the Union Army, he scandalizes his family and his community. Leaving behind the strict ways of Quaker life, Cox is soon confronted with the savagery of battle, the cruelty of the enemy (as well as his fellow soldiers), and the overwhelming strangeness of the world beyond his home.

CC sez: It never occurred to me to wonder what Quakers were doing during the Civil War. Now I'm dying to know!

Do You Like Big Girls? Vol 1 GN

Ghost Ship | Mature | $13.99

Story/Art: Goro Aizome

Tachibana Souta jumps from one part-time job to the next, just coasting through life. He's unremarkable except for being pretty short. One day, he's roped into a new gig: working as a gopher for his older sister's college volleyball team! Suddenly surrounded by a bunch of voluptuous women who all tower over him, Souta finds himself the subject of more female interest than he's ever had. First, he has to figure out which girl he even wants to try to get with ... and then he has to make sure their big, athletic bodies don't actually destroy him in the act!

CC sez: Here's this week's first nominee for the "What Th--?" award.

Forgiveness: Story of Eva Kor, Survivor of the Auschwitz Twin Experiments

Red Lightning Books | $20.00

Story/Art: Joseph E Lee

In March of 1944, at age 10, little Eva was arrested with her entire family, including her twin sister, Miriam, for the "crime" of being Jewish. Nazis loaded Eva and her family into a cattle car with other men, women and children headed to the Auschwitz-Birkenau concentration camp. Within moments of their arrival, the twins lost their entire family to the gas chambers without a chance to say goodbye. Because twins were considered valuable for research, the girls were spared immediate death by Josef Mengele, the Nazi doctor and war criminal, in favor of experimentation and torture. This stunning, heartbreaking illustrated biography tells the story of a tenacious girl's fight to survive a horrific childhood ravaged by tragedy; her growing anger as an adult who settled in Terre Haute, Indiana; and her eventual discovery that forgiveness might just save her life.

CC sez: That cover isn't very impressive, but good Lord, what a chilling story.

Intertwined Ultimate Edition TPB

Fairsquare Comics | $29.00

Story: Fabrice Sapolsky | Art/Cover: Fred Pham Chuong, Veronica Lopez

A murder. A mysterious league of protectors operating in the shadows. A young kung fu student lost in a concrete jungle he never chose to live in. A Chinese girl who has to pose as a man to protect herself and her Jewish heritage. A secret LGBTQ+ love story. Welcome to the world of Intertwined.

It's 1971 and for Juan Jin, life is about to become hell. He didn't ask to be a hero. He didn't ask to go to Chinatown. He only wanted to follow the way of Wing Chun, the kung fu style he masters brilliantly ... but destiny had other plans for him! The first ever kung fu noir graphic novel, Intertwined is a creator-owned tale from Fabrice Sapolsky (Spider-Man: Noir) and hot new French sensation and kung fu practitioner Fred Pham Chuong (Scare City)! Additional art by Olivier Coipel, Gerald Parel, Karibu, Roland Boschi, Geoffo, Mateus Santolouco and Fabrice Sapolsky! This new and improved ULTIMATE EDITION includes never-published-before material!

Here's another publisher I don't know much about. But what makes me curious is whether that cover is a swipe/homage. That pose seems really familiar. Bruce Lee? Master of Kung Fu? Iron Fist? Spider-Man? Richard Dragon? I don't even know where to start looking. But I know I've seen it before.

Laurel & Hardy Meet Three Stooges #1

American Mythology | $6.99

Story: S.A. Check, James Kuhoric | Art/Cover: Diego Tapie

It's the latest AM Exclusive edition! The crossover of the year is back with a limited edition cover by Dean Rankine that delivers the best laughs from two groups of comedic treasures.  Get on board as Laurel & Hardy Meet The Three Stooges for the first time!

CC sez: Every time I see one of these American Mythology books starring comedians from the early 20th century, I wonder how many readers under the age of 50 even know who they are. All five of the characters on that cover were born before 1905.

And what? No Fatty Arbuckle? :)

Lights, Planets, People GN

Avery Hill Publishing | $22.95

Story: Molly Naylor | Art: Lizzy Stewart

Renowned astronomer Maggie Hill is giving a lecture about her career, to inspire young women to work in science. She's also attending her first ever therapy session, in order to overcome some debilitating anxiety. Both events force Maggie to examine her greatest achievements and biggest regrets. A new comic about legacy, loss, human curiosity, and the economics of failure adapted by illustrator Lizzy Stewart and writer Molly Naylor from Naylor's play of the same name.

CC sez: This doesn't interest me, but it appears to be High Art and Very Serious.

OKSI HC

Chronicle Books | $20.99

Story: Mari Ahokoivu, Silja-Maaria Aronpuro | Art: Mari Ahokoivu

Where was the bear born?

Where delivered?

By the moon, next to the sun

Among the stars of the plough

Sent to Earth in a golden cradle

With silvery chains.

Poorling is a little bear. She's a bit different from her brothers.

Mother keeps their family safe. For the Forest is full of dangers. It is there that Mana lives, with her Shadow children.

And above them all, Emuu, the great Grandma in the Sky.

From the heart of Finnish folklore comes a breathtaking tale of mothers, daughters, stars and legends, and the old gods and the new.

CC sez: Am I right in remembering that J.R.R. Tolkien was influenced by Finnish folklore when creating Lord of the Rings and related songs and languages?

On Tyranny: 20 Lessons From Twentieth Century GN

Ten Speed Press | $16.99

Story: Timothy Snyder | Art: Nora King

Timothy Snyder's New York Times bestseller On Tyranny uses the darkest moments in twentieth-century history, from Nazism to Communism, to teach twenty lessons on resisting modern-day right-wing authoritarianism. Among the twenty include a warning to be aware of how symbols used today could affect tomorrow, an urgent reminder to research everything for yourself and to the fullest extent, a point to use personalized and individualized speech rather than cliched phrases for the sake of mass appeal, and more.

CC sez: An excerpt of this book was released on Free Comic Book Day. I found it a bit dry, and a bit frightening. Because the things he describes from the 20th century are happening again, right here and right now. Facism is back, and it's waving a flag and carrying a Bible, just as Sinclair Lewis should have said (but probably didn't).

Out #1

Artists Writers & Artisans Inc | $3.99

Story: Rob Williams | Art: Will Conrad | Cover: Tim Bradstreet

In the waning days of World War Two, with the Allies advancing, a desperate Nazi officer unearths an ancient force of evil that he hopes will turn the tide of battle: a vampire. To test the power of his secret weapon, he unleashes the monster on an unsuspecting group of Allied POWs. It's up to Nocona, a Comanche language expert, to communicate with the vampire to find out what it really wants.

CC sez: You really can't go wrong with Nazi vampires. See: Overlord.

Redemption TPB

Artists Writers & Artisans Inc | Mature | $9.99

Story: Christa Faust | Art/Cover: Mike Deodato

The dusty town of Redemption survived the apocalypse, but is hanging on by a thread. A despot rules the town with an iron fist and controls its most precious resource: water. When that strongman marks her mother for death, young Rose Obregon ventures into the perilous wasteland to seek the help of the legendary gunslinger Cat Tanner, only to discover that the so-called "Butcher" is long retired, living in solitude, far from what's left of the world — and preferring to keep it that way. When Rose arrives on Tanner's doorstep, with gunmen hot on her trail, the Butcher has a choice to make: sit on the sidelines or pick up her guns and do what she does best?

CC sez: How did Sam Neill end up in the old West? Regardless, this looks like a weird Western, and I like weird Westerns. Looks like there might be some steampunk as well.

Slaine: Dragontamer HC

Rebellion / 2000AD | $22.99

Story: Pat Mills | Art: Leonardo Manco

Sláine, now exceptionally illustrated by Leonardo Manco, embarks on a brand-new adventure in this fantastical sword and sorcery saga! Albion suffers under the tyrannical reign of the Emperor Brutus and his Trojan army. Also bolstering his power are the dragons he has at his disposal, using them to spread terror across the land. Celtic warrior Sláine is leading a rebellion against the occupiers, taking the fight all the way to New Troy — and discovering the secrets that lie in Brutus's dungeons!

CC sez: I learned how to pronounce the lead character's name about a thousand years ago, and now I've forgotten. Shlarne? Something like that. Anyway, here's a nice preview:

Swine TPB

Humanoids | Mature | $19.99

Story: Tyrone Finch | Art: Mauricet

Ellis Rafferty spent seven years in prison after being wrongly convicted for the murder of his wife. Now released on parole, he seeks to avenge her death and atone for his past mistakes. Joining forces with his sister-in-law, they hit the road to take on the most pernicious threat in human history: Pigs. Pigs possessed by bloodthirsty, cunning, and immortal beings since the time of Jesus, and they are Legion.

Ellis and Zoey travel across America to put a stop to the pigs' murderous rampage, creating plenty of carnage in their wake, in this supernatural crime thriller story with a dark comedy cream filling.

CC sez: Another nomination for the "What th--?" award.

Van Helsing: Beast of Exmoor one-shot

Zenescope | $5.99

Story: Brian Hawkins | Art: Sean Chen | Covers: Sean Chen, Igor Vitorino, Tristan Thompson

Be sure to sink your teeth, claws and stakes in this legendary 32-page story!

In the moorlands, across the field of Exmoor, in the United Kingdom a beast of once thought lore has resurfaced and is wreaking havoc on local denizens. The Royal Marines have been called in to dispatch the ravaging cryptid but even the highly trained soldiers are no match for the elusive and ferocious beast, which leaves one, Liesel Van Helsing, a very legend herself, vampire slayer and monster hunter the only hope left to capture this Beast of Exmoor, and bring an end to the carnage.

CC sez: I'm impressed the girl can walk in that preposterous outfit, much less fight vampires. What's holding that top hat on? What's holding that thigh holster up? Gravity isn't just a good idea, Liesel, it's the law!

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• CC sez: I still don't know the difference between this line and DC's other horror books in the Black Label line, but here's another one. - The difference is Black Label does Batman family books too.

CC sez: I can't remember if I collected these back in the day. Some are pretty nice. But note the awful '90s costumes on Black Widow and Cyclops. - I actually like that Black Widow costume, I thought you meant the one with the leather jacket when she was in the Avengers.

Chicken Devil #1 - I pre-ordered this, so there is an 80% chance I'll get it. I'll let you know how it is.

Intertwined Ultimate Edition TPB - There are two Iron Fist covers that come close:

9649372664?profile=RESIZE_710x9649372472?profile=RESIZE_710x

Redemption TPB - Somehow I did not get the last issue of this mini-series. I did like all of the issues that I had read though.

• WONDER WOMAN 80TH ANNIVERSARY 100-PAGE SUPER-SPECTACULAR:

"I'll get this issue, but I have no idea where to get all the variant covers. Sorry, Jeff!"

Ha! I think I'll wait for a sale... or a hardcover... or a sale on a hardcover. What I like best about these anniversary specials is that they use the word "anniversary" correctly. No, what I like best about them is the multiple covers representing each decade. If DC were to release card-stock images of just the covers, I'd but those. 

SPIDER-MAN #75: I may be the only person on this board (perhaps in the whole world) who likes Ben Reilly, but I had no intention of buying Spider-Man #75 (nor did I buy #74 last week). But this ended up being a really light week, so I bought them both. If these two issues undo "Sins Past" and "One More Day" I feel as if I should be there.

CAPTAIN MARVEL #33

"This event slipped by my radar somehow."

Mine, too. I'm a big fan of the original Captain Marvel*, and I'm familiar with most of the later incarnations as well. This being I light week, I went ahead and bought #32 as well.

*I used to say "Marvel's original Captain Marvel," but now that the "Big Red Cheese" version has officially dropped that moniker, I feel no qualms about transferring it to Mar-Vell. (Why does rick Jones call him "Marv" for short? Shouldn't it be "Mar"?)

ETERNALS:

"Wait, I haven't been reading the new Eternals series. What's 'the truth of their existence'?"

I dunno... the bit about that they can't reproduce or whatever...?

PYRATE QUEEN:

"There probably is a joke in there somewhere about 'iron pyrate' and fool's gold."

Yep.

APROPOS OF NOTHING:

"...and it made me laugh. That is all."

Me, too.

• CC sez: If I was a female, covert assassin, the first thing I would do is dress in the most daring, sexy and provocative clothes I could, guaranteeing that no one would notice me! Oh, wait ...

Most of the movie versions of James Bond (though he doesn't parade in a speedo) have him intentionally drawing attention to himself, yet he is referred to as a "spy" and a "secret agent."

CC sez: It never occurred to me to wonder what Quakers were doing during the Civil War. Now I'm dying to know!

It so happens that I recently saw the movie Friendly Persuasion (1956) which deals with exactly that question. It starred Gary Cooper and Anthony Perkins pre-Psycho. It's a pretty good movie. This Wikipedia page gives away the plot:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friendly_Persuasion_(1956_film)

On Tyranny: 20 Lessons From Twentieth Century GN

CC sez: An excerpt of this book was released on Free Comic Book Day. I found it a bit dry, and a bit frightening. Because the things he describes from the 20th century are happening again, right here and right now. Facism is back, and it's waving a flag and carrying a Bible, just as Sinclair Lewis should have said (but probably didn't).

This is a GN adaptation of the author's prose book with, I think, updates. I just saw him interviewed on one of the morning news shows. History potentially repeating itself was his major concern.

• Re: On Tyranny: I'm worried about history repeating, too.

Re: Wonder Woman 80th Anniversary 100-Page Super-Spectacular: The only places I know where the variant-covers-by-decade are collected are Detective Comics #1000 Deluxe Edition, Action Comics #1000 Deluxe Edition, Flash #750 Deluxe Edition and Wonder Woman #750 Deluxe Edition. If you know of any more places, feel free to fill me in!

Re: Iron Fist: I had enjoyed the John Byrne era well enough (I was in a Byrne-fanboy fever around that time, which thankfully has passed), tolerated Power Man/Iron Fist (where I enjoyed the supporting cast more than the principals), but where the series came alive for me was when Ed Brubaker expanded the mythos into the seven Eternal Champions of Heaven. It helps that the other champions were all pretty interesting (Bride of Nine Spiders was out there). Also, Brubaker extended backward to the previous Iron Fist, who was a lot more interesting than Danny, if for no other reason than his setting (between-the-wars noir/soldier of fortune). I got and devoured all those stories, but somehow the Omnibus -- I'd love to have these stories on my shelf permanently for re-read/reference -- came and went and I missed it. Later Iron Fist stories don't do anything for me; they don't reach Brubaker's level of inventiveness, and besides, as I've gotten older and wiser, my appetite for white-savior/cultural appropriator characters has grown quite small. (See: Tarzan.)

This reply was deleted.