THE TOP 5

Aquaman: The Becoming #1 (of 6)

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Brandon Thomas | Art: Diego Olortegui | Cover: David Talaski | Variant: Khary Randolph |

Aquaman: The Becoming #1/Black Manta #1 connecting variants: Francis Manapul

Jackson Hyde finally has it all. Mentors who support him, a community that loves him, an honest relationship with his mother, a cute new guy in Amnesty Bay who's caught his eye, and access to Aquaman's private training facility in Atlantis. Well, he had it all — until that training facility and half of the Atlantean palace got blown to kingdom come with Jackson in them. Now Jackson stands accused of wrecking the life he worked so hard to build. Aqualad's going to need all of his skills, wit and cunning just to prove his own innocence, let alone graduate from sidekick to Aquaman!

Captain Comics sez: This is apparently the story of how Jackson Hyde becomes Aquaman, which is what he was called in the "Future State" event. The focus in Future State: Aquaman and Future State: Justice League was mostly on his sidekick, the teenage daughter of Arthur and Mera, so we didn't learn how he became Aquaman. Now we will.

I'm not usually a fan of legacy characters when the original is still around, but Hyde isn't replacing Arthur Curry (yet), so this story is just an Aqua-bonus. Also, I think Hyde is inherently more interesting than the original. He starts with more personality and a back story full of possibilities (he's Black Manta's estranged son). He brings some diversity to the whitebread Aqua-world (he's black and gay) and he has super-powers that don't involve talking to fish.

Death of Doctor Strange #1 (of 5)

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story: Jed Mackay | Art: Lee Garbett | Cover: Kaare Andrews | Variant: Natacha Bustos | Variant: Michael Del Mundo | Variant: Peach Momoko | Variant: Skottie Young

Since his first appearance in 1963’s Strange Tales #110 by comic book pioneers Stan Lee and Steve Ditko, Doctor Stephen Strange has protected Earth from mystical threats, interdimensional invasions and other untold horrors as the Sorcerer Supreme. This September, that ends, and the Marvel Universe will be left defenseless like never before in DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE!

Written by Jed MacKay (Black Cat, Moon Knight) with Lee Garbett (Captain Marvel), DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE will be a five-issue epic that will tell the final chapter in the life of Doctor Strange. Able to defeat supernatural and interdimensional threats no other hero is equipped to handle, Strange was the only hero standing in the way of powerful new villains eager to claim Earth as their own. When he unexpectedly dies, who is left to protect Earth and keep the mystical evils at bay? And most importantly … who killed Stephen Strange? If he couldn’t stop them, who can? This rousing journey will dive into the mythos behind Doctor Strange, showcasing his unique — and vital — position amongst Marvel’s heroes and ultimately transform the future.

"'What happens to the world if Doctor Strange isn't in it?' It's a question that I'm excited to show people the answer to in DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE,” MacKay said.

CC sez: The PR acts as if this is for real, that Strange will stay dead. I find that hard to believe, especially with Doctor Strange in the Multiverse of Madness coming out in the spring. What I think more likely is that we're going to see what happens when there's no Sorcerer Supreme to keep the Dormammus and Nightmares in check, until Strange's inevitable return. 

There are some powerful magic-users in the MU not named Strange, like Magik, Doctor Voodoo and Scarlet Witch, and more may have been introduced in Strange Academy, which I haven't been reading. But being Sorcerer Supreme is about more than power, isn't it? Like knowing how all the dimensional locks work, and where all the keys are? Like knowing who the power players are, and having the Vishanti on speed dial?

So, whether Strange comes back or not, we should see just how important the role of Sorcerer Supreme is. And Marvel will likely take the opportunity to expand and explore their other magic-users who usually stand in Strange's shadow, or introduce new ones. All of which could be fun.

Frontiersman #1

Image | $3.99

Story: Patrick Kindlon | Art/Cover: Marco Ferrari | Cover B: Matteo Scalera

Fan favorite Patience! Conviction! Revenge! creative team Patrick Kindlon and Marco Ferrari reunite for a superhero adventure of epic proportions in the forthcoming Frontiersman. Here readers meet the Frontiersman, as he's coaxed out of retirement by an environmentalist group only to find that being a spokesperson makes him a target for old and new enemies alike!

CC sez: Environmentalism-oriented comics are usually dreary, preachy things. This looks a bit more lively.

Star Wars Adventures: Ghosts of Vader’s Castle #1 (of 5)

IDW | All Ages | $3.99

Story: Cavan Scott | Art: Megen Levens | Cover A: Francesco Francavilla | Cover B: Derek Charm | B&W line art retailer incentive: Francesco Francavilla

Since 2018, comic book and graphic novel publisher IDW has explored the darkest corners of the Star Wars universe, beginning with Tales from Vader’s Castle and continuing with Return to Vader’s Castle and Shadow of Vader’s Castle. This fall, Star Wars fans will feel that familiar shiver down their spine once more in Star Wars Adventures: Ghosts of Vader’s Castle, a five-issue comic book miniseries and the latest horror-packed entry in the Vader’s Castle saga!

Ghosts of Vader’s Castle sees fan-favorite supporting Star Wars characters haunted by nightmares of zombie droids, vicious Wookiees the size of mountains, and monstrous terrors aplenty …  all tied to their experiences at the dreaded Fortress Vader.

CC sez: Just because this is the all-ages corner of the Star Wars publishing empire, doesn't mean it's just for kids. And "Vader's Castle" seems to becoming a Star Wars sub-category all its own.

X-Men: Onslaught Revelation #1

Marvel | Parental Advisory | $4.99

Story: Si Spurrier | Art: Bob Quinn | Cover: Giuseppe Camuncoli | Variant: Federico Vicentini 

The X-Men's greatest foe, mutantkind's primal evil, slithers in the minds of its most senior leaders. ... The kids whisper of the CRUCI-BALL: a party to end all parties. A party to end everything. The seals are broken, the trumpets have sounded; only a small band of eccentric mutants can hope to break the fall. ... Can Nightcrawler light the spark that will drive out the shadows ... or will Krakoa slip into the abyss ...?

CC sez: We've all wondered if there was something rotten at the heart of Krakoa. Looks like we're going to learn. Can the island X-periment be salvaged? The fact that the next big event is titled "Inferno" is not encouraging.

OTHER ITEMS OF INTEREST

Batman: Secret Files — Miracle Molly #1 one-shot

DC Comics | $4.99

Story: James Tynion IV | Art: Dani | Cover: Little Thunder | Variant: Justine Frany

Since Miracle Molly’s explosive first appearance in the pages of Batman, people have been clamoring to know more about the colorful transhumanist vigilante! Now the wait is over — the history of Gotham’s latest breakout star is revealed! It’s a story so secret even Miracle Molly doesn’t remember it! Discover what led a regular Gothamite to reject their past, name and humanity to embrace the promise of a blank slate — the promise of the Unsanity Collective! Batman series writer James Tynion IV teams up with rising superstar artist Dani to bring you all the way back to the beginning of Miracle Molly in this exciting and integral Fear State special.

CC sez: I fell off the Bat-wagon after "Joker War," so I missed this character's introduction. I guess this is some one-stop shopping to get me caught up.

He Who Fights with Monsters #1

Ablaze | Mature | $3.99

Story: Francesco Artibani | Art/Cover: Werther Dell'Edera | Variant: Jae Lee | Variant: Dan Quintana | Variant: Moy R.

It's World War II and the struggle between good and evil is in full force. In Prague, the great Bohemian city is being oppressed by the Nazi occupation and the population lives in terror, while the resistance forces try to organize themselves in the shadows.  It is an almost impossible task. With the ruthless SS tightening their grip on every street and neighborhood with overwhelming might, only one hope feeds the struggle. A crazy hope, which rests on the fragile foundations of an ancient, monstrous legend.

CC sez: I assume this is a Golem story. And given that the title references the famous Nietzsche quote about monsters and abysses, I don't think our heroes are going to emerge unscathed.

(Cover D below is, of course, an homage to a John Byrne Fantastic Four cover, farther below.)

Impossible Jones #1 (of 4)

Scout | $3.99

Writer/Art/Cover: Karl Kesel | Art/Cover: David Hahn | Colors: Tony Aviña | Letters: Comicraft (Wolverine, Happy)

Explosive first issue! The grin gritty origin of comics' newest sensation! A thief gets powers, is mistaken for a superhero ... and runs with it! With no intention of giving up her criminal ways, mind you! (With these powers? You crazy?!) All she has todo is fool all of the people all of the time! It's not impossible — it's Impossible Jones! Full throttle thrills by Karl Kesel (Harley Quinn) and David Hahn (Batman '66).

SYNOPSIS:

A thief pretending to be a superhero? IMPOSSIBLE! That’s what IMPOSSIBLE JONES hopes people believe as she tries to convince citizens, cops — and fellow superheroes — that she’s New Hope City’s latest and greatest super-powered protector! But she’s also a damn good thief with no intention of giving up her criminal ways. You kidding — with these new powers? Pilfering and purloining have never been easier! Plus, cops don’t shoot at her, they gladly tell her exactly what they’re up to, and everyone’s happy to show her their security systems. But it’s a high-stakes, high-wire balancing act, and even shape-shifting super-powers can be stretched thin. One misstep and Jones will fall so far she’ll never bounce back …

CC sez: One difference between American and British comics is the subtext of cheekiness in most UK stories. At some level, the Brits don't seem to take their heroes as seriously as we do. The most famous UK character, Judge Dredd, is a satire that often critiques itself. And what to make of Jack Staff? On occasion the lack of gravitas works against the story for me, but usually I find UK comics a fine antidote to America's pompousness and grim-n-grittiness. And Impossible Jones looks "cheeky" in spades!

Iyanu: Child of Wonder Vol 1 TPB

Dark Horse | 112 pages | $19.99

Story: Roye Okupe | Art/Cover/Colors: Godwin Akpan |

Iyanu, a teenage orphan with no recollection of her past, suddenly discovers that she has abilities that rival the ancient deities told in the folklore of her people. It is these abilities that are the key to bringing back an "age of wonders," as Iyanu begins her journey to save a world on the brink of destruction! The Corrupt-cursed wildlife and strange, divine beasts-are determined to destroy humanity, unless Iyanu can stop them.

Dark Horse and YouNeek Studios launch a shared universe of African fantasy and superhero stories-the YouNeek YouNiverse! Extraordinary stories about extraordinary characters inspired by African history, culture, and mythology.

CC sez: Here's the second of a trio of announced YouNeek graphic novels. I love the African folklore aspect, in that I love learning about the myths and legends of other lands and cultures.

Suicide Squad: King Shark #1 (of 6)

DC Comics | $3.99

Story: Tim Seeley | Art: Scott Kolins | Cover: Trevor Hairsine | Variant: Riccardo Federici

On leave from the Suicide Squad, King Shark and unfortunate tagalong the Defacer get swept into a mystical tournament for totemic animal spirits at the behest of King Shark’s father, the god of sharks! Now King Shark must battle brutal warriors like Queen Tiger, King Roach, Prince Nematode, Princess Peregrine and the terrifying Man King to finally attain his destiny and make his dour dad proud!

CC sez: An excerpt of this story appeared in one of DC's four FCBD books this year. It appears Nananue is being summoned home by his father for reasons explained above. King Shark is always fun (especially when voiced by Ron Funches), and I don't expect this to be any exception.

X-Men Legends #7

Writer: Larry Hama | Art/Cover: Billy Tan | Variant: Elizabeth Torque

Acclaimed creator Larry Hama will return to his epic run on Wolverine this September in X-MEN LEGENDS #7! Joined by popular X-Men artist Billy Tan, Hama will once again pick up the adventures of Weapon X, continuing his work on Wolverine that helped define the 90s.

When two young mutants disappear, Wolverine and Jubilee set off for Japan to track them down. But Lady Deathstrike and the Hand have their own designs on the duo, and it’ll take no small measure of blood, sweat and adamantium to change their mind, kicking off a deadly international mutant conflict!

CC sez: I've never been much of a Jubilee fan. But I can't resist this book, which adds to stories I've already read.

EVENTS/CROSSOVERS

BATMAN: FEAR STATE

Batman #113

DC Comics | $4.99

Story: James Tynion IV, Brandon Thomas | Art: Jorge Jimenez, Max Dunbar | Cover: Jorge Jimenez | Variant: Jorge Molina

Ghost-Maker reveals a dark revelation about his past connection to Jonathan Crane while Batman puts together the pieces of Scarecrow’s master plan. Using the Unsanity Collective’s technology, the villain plans to detonate a "Fear Bomb" in Gotham City! Backup: Clownhunter has been dosed by the Scarecrow with a deadly fear toxin and is now traveling through his greatest nightmare of Gotham City. Will the Clownhunter center himself and strike back at Scarecrow? Or will he succumb to all his worst fears?!

CC sez: Be afraid! Be very afraid!

LAST ANNIHILATION

Guardians of the Galaxy #18

Marvel | Teen+ | $3.99

Story: Al Ewing | Art: Juan Frigeri | Cover: Brett Booth | Variant: Brett Booth | Variant: Francesco Manna

THE LAST ANNIHILATION CONCLUDES!

The Guardians and their allies are being overrun on all fronts by the Mindless Armies of Dormammu. There's only one hope for the galaxy as we know it. ROCKET RACCOON has a plan. All he needs to know is Dormammu's weak spot. Dormammu doesn't have a weak spot.

Uh-oh.

CC sez: Boy, is my face red. I kept waiting for this event to get rolling, and it turns out that what I thought was a prelude was the actual performance. Up until this issue, none of our heroes have even confronted Dormammu/Ego, spending all their time fighting Mindless Ones. Which, honestly, is kinda repetitive. I mean, they're called "Mindless Ones" for a reason. And there are five fronts on five different planets, so no one group of characters gets much attention as the story jumps around the galaxy.

And now the main event is going to arrive and end in a single issue (next week). The whole shebang takes place in exactly seven issues! I always complain when crossover events straggle on too long, but here's an occasion where one is too short! Just no pleasing me, I guess.

UNITED STATES OF CAPTAIN AMERICA

United States Captain America #4 (of 5)

Marvel | Teen+ | $4.99

Story: Christopher Cantwell & Alyssa Wong | Art: Dale Eaglesham & Jodi Nishijima | Cover: Gerald Parel | Variant: Jodi Nishijima | Variant: Peach Momoko

In UNITED STATES OF CAPTAIN AMERICA #4, fans will meet Ari Agbayani! Created by writer Alyssa Wong (Star Wars: Doctor Aphra) and Jodi Nishijima (Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles), Ari is a local Captain America-inspired hero who seeks justice on her college campus. When her school turns a blind eye to fellow students behaving badly, she springs into action — and she’s not afraid to fight dirty.

CC sez: So this is ... Captain College? Seems like a short career.

WAR OF THE BOUNTY HUNTERS

Star Wars Bounty Hunters #16

Marvel | Teen | $3.99

Story: Ethan Sacks | Art: Paolo Villanelli | Cover: Giuseppe Camuncoli | Variant:

Paolo Villanelli | LucasFilm 50th Anniversary variant: Chris Sprouse

"SHADOW SOLDIERS"

VALANCE and DENGAR make a last stand against DEATHSTICK! T'ONGA seeks help from a LEGENDARY BOUNTY HUNTER! The bounty hunters converge on a high-stakes auction as CRIMSON DAWN'S plans come into focus!

CC sez: Deathstick? And I thought Taserface was funny!

ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN

Adventures of the Mad Tsar GN

Black Panel Press | $29.99

Story: Tarek | Art/Cover: Lionel Chouin

It all starts in the capital. To be closer to his subjects, the Tsar, dressed in peasant clothes, strolls through the streets of St. Petersburg. Disaster strikes! The Tsar is captured by a group of conspirators wishing to use his uncanny "resemblance" to the Tsar (himself) for sinister ends. What fate awaits the true Tsar, now a simple peasant, in the hands of his enemies? And most importantly, what do they have in store for him next? The three volume French graphic novel now appears in English in a single volume.

CC sez: So this is a cross between The Prince and the Pauper and The Prisoner of Zenda? Only Frenchier? With maybe a dash of The Great Race?

Ashes Ashes HC

Magnetic Press | Mature | $24.99

Story: Jean-David Morvan | Art/Cover: Rey Macutay

When a mysterious future event causes all electrical power on Earth to fail, civilization collapses into savage self-preservation. One man tries desperately to protect his loved ones and rebuild a sense of civility in a dystopic adventure that spans nearly a century.

CC sez: Electricity not working any more seems to be a sub-category of the apocalypse genre, like zombies. I think Marvel's Dark Ages uses that premise, and more than one movie, like Revolution and Into the Forest. But now that I think about it, most apocalypse stories must deal with, at some level, how difficult life is without electricity.

Citizen #1           

Action Lab | $3.99

Story: Charlie McFarland | Art/Cover: Aleksandar Jovic

A journalist tries to cope with being the only non-super human in a city full of costumed heroes and villains.

CC sez: This seems like another overdone sub-category. Jim Valentino's normalman, for example. Superworld and A Spell for Chameleon. Deuces in "Wild Cards" might qualify. Superman & Lois serves up a variation of a lot of Silver Age "Imaginary Stories" where one of Superman's offspring has super-powers and another one doesn't. In New Teen Titans (and HBO's Titans), Blackfire becomes a villain because she's the only member of the royal family of Tamaran who doesn't have natural super-powers.

Dead Beats: London Calling Horror Anthology GN

A Wave Blue World | Mature | $19.99

Story: Joe Corallo, Eric Palicki, Lilah Sturges, Ron Marz, Che Grayson | Art: Val Halvorson, Morgan Beem, Adam Gorham, Claudia Aguirre | Cover: Claudia Iannciello

The Shoppe Keeper crosses the pond in search of even more mysterious artifacts and musical instruments with a haunted past. So put on your favorite album, pull up a chair and immerse yourself in these 24-chilling tales that will have you questioning everything you think you know about music.  

CC sez: No, it's not a revival of Richard Howell's Claypool Comics title. (Which I wouldn't mind seeing.) It's a horror anthology that seems tied to music somehow. (And now I'm going to have The Clash's "London Calling" in my head for the rest of the day.)

Disasters in History Collected GN

Stone Arch Books | $14.95

Story/Art: Various

True-life tragedies jump off the page in this dynamic collection of graphic novels. From the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire and the surprise attack on Pearl Harbor to the Great Chicago Fire and the space shuttle Challenger explosion, step back in time to experience some of the worst disasters in history. With eight stories in all, this riveting collection helps readers understand how the most devastating events in history happened and provides valuable perspectives on the lessons that rose from the ashes of despair.

CC sez: A little light reading before bedtime.

Dungeon: Early Years — Night Shirt Vols. 1-2 TPB

NBM | 192 pages | $19.99

Creators: Christophe Blain | Joann Sfar | Lewis Trondheim

In the sprawling world of Dungeon, the Early Years sub-series relates the origins of it. In this first story, you will see the Keeper barely an adult leaving his family to go find fortune in a time of chaos and darkness ... Fun, adventure, suspense and ... wry satire. Hyacinthe, Dungeon Keeper to be, continues to render justice in a cloak nightly as The Night Shirt and stumbles upon the one he pines for, Alexandra, an assassin, about to be raped! After his valiant and heroic rescue, his wettest dreams come true … with dire consequences. In the second story which happens quite a few years later, he’s married and a poor husband, worse even, a poor lover, until Alexandra plots to gain him back. Cloak and dagger with romantic bravura! And you thought he didn’t have it in him. Art by Eisner nominated Blain (Gus) and story by legendary Trondheim and Eisner nominated Sfar (Rabbi’s Cat).

CC sez: I really don't care for Trondheim's art, and the premise of Dungeons didn't do anything for me either. But if you're into it, NBM has two big collections coming out this week, and they sent me previews of both. Here's the first.

Dungeon: Zenith — The Barbarian Princess Vols. 1-2 TPB

NBM | 192 Pages | $19.99

Creators: Lewis Trondheim & Joann Sfar

Welcome to Dungeon, the looniest world of horror and heroic fantasy you’ll ever be transported into! A spoof of Dungeons & Dragons and all heroic fantasy tropes. This series, a best-seller in many countries, starts with the apogee of Dungeon, a mighty castle filled with monsters, trolls and goblins kept by a wily bird, the Dungeon Keeper, and the object of desire of many an uncouth and disgusting form of life (and afterlife) and Herbert the Timorous Duck is assigned to defend it! Thank goodness, the Dungeon Keeper has assigned Marvin the Dragon, a blood-thirsty, uh, vegetarian, warrior, to his side. 4 full stories in one omnibus volume at a new larger size! (Combines the 1st 2 volumes originally published).

CC sez: Here's the second.

Pirate Penguin vs. Ninja Chicken Vol 3: Macaroni and Bees!?! HC  

IDW | 64 pages | All Ages | $9.99

Story/Art/Cover: Ray Friesen

Pirate Penguin vs. Ninja Chicken Vol. 3: Macaroni and Bees?!?, by Ray Friesen, is the latest installment featuring the ridiculous adventures of the fan-favorite flightless fighting friends. Whether they encounter werewolf shampoo, time travel, or anti-gravity popcorn, the bouncy battle birds are always engaged in the ultimate competition: to see which friend will win once and for all.

CC sez: I have no idea what this is, and yet here we are on a third volume. It looks like it's aimed at kids, so I normally wouldn't include it, but hey, it's a light week and they sent me a nice press release.

Rivers GN

Rivers

IDW | 176 pages | Mature (16+) | $19.99

Writer: David Gaffney | Art/Cover: Dan Berry

You meet the strangest people on the internet.

Gideon is a lonely I.T. developer, obsessed by a comic book from childhood called Revenge of the Ghoulors, and secretly in love with his co-worker Lisa. Heidi works at home in her pajamas, makes a lot of soup and wishes she had time for friends. Peter is a 56-year-old divorcee who delivers classic cars, has a built-in toaster and thinks a lot about the past.

These three people seem unconnected, yet they share something — they each have the same recurring dream. And when a new web service is introduced that helps people share their dreams, what will happen when the three of them find out about each other? Just what is it that links these three lonely souls?

Nimbly weaving together multiple storylines (including extracts from Gideon’s comic book, Revenge of the Ghoulors), Dan Berry and David Gaffney present Rivers: a quirky examination of how events from the past can bind people together forever, and a surprising reunion between people who’ve never met.

Praise for the David Gaffney and Dan Berry:

CC sez: The PR uses "whimsical" and "quirky" a lot, but other than that, I don't know much about this. Here's a preview, if that helps.

My Wife Has No Emotion Vol 1 GN

Seven Seas | $12.99

Story/Art/Cover: Jiro Sugiura

A bittersweet love story between a lonely salaryman and his household robot.

Takuma is a single guy who does nothing but go to work and come home. Too tired to do chores, he decides to get a robot to cook and keep house. "Mina-chan" is such a good housekeeper, Takuma jokes that she should become his wife. Mina takes Takuma's joke seriously, and slowly the two start doing more things together, like having a picnic outside. As time goes by, Takuma starts to fall for Mina, but can a human and a robot ever have an equal, loving relationship?  

CC sez: When Image launched Alex + Ada in 2013, the summary said it was about a single guy who gets a female robot for some reason. I said "Well, he'll fall in love with her, of course." And that was, in fact, what the story was about.

Because of course that was the story! It's always the story! They always fall in love with the robot! From TV's My Living Doll to "The Lonely" on Twilight Zone to the movie Her to Deckard and Rachel in Blade Runner to Razer and Aya in the animated Green Lantern to Scarlet Witch and Vision in Avengers to the movie Ex Machina (sorta), they always fall in love with the robot!

So I'm not interested in traipsing down this well-worn path again. My only question here is: Is this manga an example of Japan swiping a concept from Western sci-fi, or did Japan originate it, and we stole it from them?

S Factor #1

Action Lab | $3.99

Story: Samuel George London | Art/Cover: Chris Panda

An under-appreciated-sidekick named called Greyfox decides to "re-brand" himself through a new dating reality TV show for superheroes called The S Factor, where 12 female contestants fight for his affection. Meanwhile, his former superior, Darkfox, is bewildered as to why he would put himself in such a vulnerable position.

CC sez: It was only a matter of time before reality TV hit comics. That's not to say I welcome it.

Unwanted Undead Adventurer Vol 1 GN

J-Novel Club | $14.99

Story: Yu Okano | Art/Cover: Haiji Nakasone

It's been ten years since Rentt Faina, a luckless Bronze-class adventurer, set his eyes on becoming Mithril-class. Unfortunately, he finds himself helpless when confronted by a legendary dragon in the Water Moon Dungeon ... and is summarily eaten. But Rentt has miraculously reawakened ... as a skeleton?! Making his way back to civilization is going to be a challenge when he can barely walk, let alone hold a sword. And the good people of Maalt won't take kindly to a monster in their midst. Can some magic techniques and a chance encounter provide Rentt's salvation?

CC sez: After all my kvetching about cliches, this one seems genuinely original. To me, anyway. Chances are it's so common in Japan as to be its own category.

Wonderland Annual: Reign of Madness one-shot

Zenescope | $7.99

Story: Dave Franchini | Art/Cover A: Igor Vitorino | Cover B: Mike Krome | Cover C: Josh Burns

Hundreds of years before the Liddles ever stepped foot there, and long before it was destined for its inescapable chaos and insanity, there was Wonderland, the realm of dreams. It was a peaceful land of hope and imagination, but under its surface grew a darkness waiting to spread its tendrils into all that was.

And as it was finally released, the evil seeped out into this extraordinary world, pulling two sisters into the center of its plot to bring madness to the inhabitants of all it touched turning all it corrupted into nightmares of their former selves.

A war has been building for the very soul of this realm, and madness aims to reign over all that resides there. But, can the hope of a few and the love of a sister keep the evil at bay and fight what is destined to be?

CC sez: I don't mind all the fan service in Dynamite's line of heroines, and yet I do when it comes to Zenescope. Maybe it's because Dynamite's books are better written. Maybe it's because it seems more gratuitous at Zenescope. Maybe it's because Dynamite has more A-listers whose clothing has been minimal for so long it's practically tradition (Red Sonja, Dejah Thoris, Vampirella). I genuinely don't know why I feel that way, but I do.

ALSO THIS WEEK

CC sez: Here's a bonus press release on Archie's first Webtoon series, published weekly beginning Sept. 21.

Big Ethel Energy

GET READY FOR BIG ETHEL ENERGY!

Archie Comics and WEBTOON Partner for First Comic Series

Big Ethel Energy Showcases the Classic Riverdale Character in a New Light; First Three Episodes Launching Exclusively on WEBTOON September 21

BIG ETHEL ENERGY promo art by Siobhan Keenan

Archie Comics, home to some of the most timeless characters in comics, has partnered with WEBTOON, the world’s leading webcomic platform, to collaborate and develop its next fan-favorite comic series, BIG ETHEL ENERGY. Featuring the talented works of writer Keryl Brown Ahmed and artist Siobhan Keenan, BIG ETHEL ENERGY showcases the Riverdale character as fans have never seen her before. The first three episodes of the series will launch exclusively on WEBTOON on Sept. 21, 2021, with new episodes of the series rolling out weekly on the platform.

”We’re so excited for this partnership with WEBTOON,” said Archie Comics Senior Director of Editorial Jamie L. Rotante. "The work they’ve been doing is incredible, and the modern sensibilities they bring to their storytelling, along with the gorgeous and colorful art, aligns perfectly with Archie’s vision. It’s been amazing working with WEBTOON and watching the evolution of Ethel take shape.”

The new series features a grown-up Ethel who is confident and carries her head high. With a fresh take on the classic Archie Comics character, BIG ETHEL ENERGY focuses on a story about coming into adulthood and finding inner strength, but also about the importance of growth, change, and forgiveness.

“Bringing the Archie characters onto WEBTOON is the next step in the evolution of our comics and how we tell stories,” said Archie Comics CEO/Publisher Jon Goldwater. “We are always looking for new and effective ways to deliver content to different audiences and working with WEBTOON is a huge part of us continuing to do just that. We’re so thrilled to be debuting this new iteration of Ethel on a new platform and to a growing audience that has a huge love for comics. It’s tremendously exciting!”

“Archie Comics has some of the most enduring and beloved characters in comics, and we are grateful to be working with talents who are fans of both Archie Comics and WEBTOON.” said David Lee, head of content for WEBTOON Entertainment, US. “We can't wait to welcome these iconic characters to the global WEBTOON community and introduce a new generation of comic fans to their stories."

After graduating from Riverdale High, Ethel couldn’t get away from her hometown -- and onto her chosen career path -- fast enough. When the Mayor of Riverdale pays her handsomely to write a history of the city, she can’t wait to return to take down Archie, Jughead, Betty, Veronica, and all the other Riverdale natives who made her life hell all those years ago. The only thing she forgets to consider is… maybe they’ve all changed, too.

Ethel Muggs had a terrible time at Riverdale High but she's put it all behind her! Today she lives on her own in New York City working her dream job as a magazine writer, and while she hasn't opened herself up to dating again, things seem to be going great. But what happens when her past calls her back? Find out today in the first three chapters of BIG ETHEL ENERGY, by Keryl Brown Ahmed and Siobhan, available exclusively on WEBTOON!

BIG ETHEL ENERGY artwork by Siobhan Keenan

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Of course, Stephen Strange will be back.  He's a wizard!  Being dead is like a staycation for them.

RE:  My Wife Has No Emotion It's tough to say.  Remember that this is the country where guys have legit wanted to marry comics characters.  If a robot that was life-like enough existed, there's a good shot that some Japanese guy would want to marry it.  Also, as I understand it, Shinto is very close to animism, in that everything  - living and non-living - is believed to be in-dwelt by a spirit.  For example, in Japan, they have memorial services for discarded dolls. So, a guy falling in love with a robot may not be that big of a stretch for them culturally.

"CC sez: It was only a matter of time before reality TV hit comics. That's not to say I welcome it."

Reality TV hit comics quite a while ago.  Surely, I'm not the only one who read Wildguard?

• And sometimes it goes the other way

9594661684?profile=RESIZE_710x

• The Baron said:

"CC sez: It was only a matter of time before reality TV hit comics. That's not to say I welcome it."

Reality TV hit comics quite a while ago.  Surely, I'm not the only one who read Wildguard?

I thought when I wrote that line that reality TV had probably hit comics long before, but I couldn't think of one offhand — especially one that involved superheroes. But either way I wasn't going to let reality stand in the way of a joke!

• THE DEATH OF DOCTOR STRANGE:

I forgot to say something in the thoughts I posted to "What Comics Have You Read Today?" but I wasn't planning to buy this in the first place so I'll just say it here.

"The PR acts as if this is for real, that Strange will stay dead."

I don't know about the PR, but the way this reads, a more accurate (but less catchy) title might have been "Dr. Strange's Failsafe Plan in Case He is Killed." I'm sure he'll be back by the end of the story (PR notwithstanding). This is no "Death of Superman."

• Good to know! I’m probably going to read this one on Marvel Unlimited.

• There was also America's Got Powers that I remember. It had some great Bryan Hitch art.

Captain Comics said:

The Baron said:

I thought when I wrote that line that reality TV had probably hit comics long before, but I couldn't think of one offhand — especially one that involved superheroes. But either way I wasn't going to let reality stand in the way of a joke!

• You just reminded me: Who Wants to Be a Superhero? was a thing that happened.

• 95485296752.1.gif?profile=RESIZE_710x95484246840.1.gif?profile=RESIZE_710x

This reply was deleted.