This Week in Comics: Sept. 5-11, 2022

BOOM! STUDIOS

BASILISK #11

BUCKHEAD TP

MAGIC THE GATHERING (MTG) #18

ONCE & FUTURE #29

DARK HORSE COMICS

ALWAYS NEVER HC

• "A unique love story starting with chapter 20 and rewinding to chapter 1 of their romance." The Benjamin Button of love stories?
  • Here's a preview.

APACHE DELIVERY SERVICE TP

ART OF BATTLETOADS HC

ASTONISHING TIMES TP

BPRD: HELL ON EARTH VOL 5 TP

BPRD OMNIBUS VOL 1 TP

CYBERPUNK 2077: BLACKOUT #4 (OF 4)

EC ARCHIVES: CRIME PATROL VOL 1 HC

Story: Al Feldstein, Gardner Fox | Art: Sheldon Moldoff, Henry C. Kiefer, Ed Walden, Ann Brewster, Stan Ashe, Johnny Craig | Cover: Johnny Craig | $49.99

The infamous EC Comics pre-trend crime classic is beautifully reprinted in full color and collected into a deluxe hardcover edition. Presenting tales of horrific crimes, grisly murders, and bizarre homicide cases featuring the titanic artistic talents of Johnny Craig, Sheldon Moldoff, Henry Kiefer, Ed Walden, Ann Brewster and Stan Ashe.

• Collects Crime Patrol #7-11. The series became Crypt of Terror with issue #17, so we can expect a second volume collecting #12-16. Left unreprinted (for now) are the first six issues, which were published as International Comics #1-5 and International Crime Patrol #6. 
  • Here's a preview.

HELLBOY: BONES OF GIANTS HC

• Fingers crossed for a Library Edition or Omnibus.

HELLBOY: SILVER LANTERN CLUB HC

• Ditto

IMMORTALS: FENYX RISING — TRAVELERS' GUIDE TO GOLDEN ISLE HC

JOY OPERATIONS TP

KALI HC

Story: Daniel Freedman | Art/Cover: Robert Sammelin | $29.99

From Dark Horse Books, Daniel Freedman (Raiders), and renowned illustrator Robert Sammelin comes Kali, an original graphic novel that’s a nonstop, high-octane existential action spectacle.    

Stabbed in the back, poisoned and left for dead by her own biker gang, Kali sets off on a one-way road of vengeance across a war-torn desert battlefield. With impending death coursing through her veins and a fascist army hot on her tail, Kali will stop at nothing to get her revenge, even if it’s the last thing she ever does.

“Seven years in the making, Kali represents a major creative milestone for me in more ways than one. What began as an exploitation throwback evolved into the most emotionally powerful story I have written and I do not say that lightly.” — Daniel Freedman

Kali is the comic book I’ve always wanted to make; a cinematic story fusing Sergio Leone and Jack Hill, bikers and bombast, revenge and psychedelia — an effortless story, but one with a violently hot beating heart.” — Robert Sammelin

• Because I have the maturity of a 12-year-old boy, my first thought looking at this cover was: How does she sit down with a gun on her butt?
  • Here's a preview.

MADMAN LIBRARY ED VOL 3 HC

• I had no idea there would be so many of these. I liked Madman back in the day, and read it sporadically as it came out, but didn't know so much had been printed. Now I'm invested and can't stop.

MIND MGMT: BOOTLEG #3 (OF 4)

SHOCK SHOP #1 (OF 4)

Story: Cullen Bunn | Art/Cover: Danny Luckert, Leila Leiz  | $3.99

Cullen Bunn (Harrow County), Danny Luckert (Regression), and Leila Leiz (The Last Book You’ll Ever Read) present Shock Shop! Shock Shop is a brand-new horror anthology flip comic that takes place in a haunted comic book shop, featuring a twisted retailer filled with tales of terror. Readers will encounter two scary stories told across four comic issues. Each issue will feature variant covers by a host of horrifyingly talented artists, including Francesco Francavilla, Fábio Moon, Caitlin Yarsky, James Stokoe, James Harren, and Tonci Zonjic.

In FAMILIARS: After a painful divorce and custody battle, Trevor rents a house and tries to rebuild his life. Soon, he discovers that his house appears to be "haunted" by more than one spirit: the minions of a long-dead coven of witches. When the creatures begin feeding on Trevor's feelings of anger and guilt, they lash out at those who draw his ire, whether he wants them to or not.

In SOMETHING IN THE WOODS, IN THE DARK: A husband and wife who are going through a tough time go on a camping trip with a few friends into the deep woods. As they trek further into the forest, they realize that they are being stalked. Something in the woods starts killing the campers — a hideous, inhuman thing that may have more ties to the campers than any of them realize.

Shock Shop #1 will be available at comic stores September 7, 2022 and is available for pre-order at your local comic shop, with a retail price of $3.99. Shock Shop is recommended for ages 14 and up.

• The Francavilla cover below appears to be an homage to House of Mystery #174. It's not exact, but the "In loving memory of Neal Adams" attribution makes me think that's what Francavilla had in mind.
  • Everybody here probably already knows this, but House of Mystery #174 was the first issue after Joe Orlando took over as editor in 1968, returning the title to mystery/suspense. HoM #143-173 featured superhero strips, first Martian Manhunter and then Dial H for Hero.
  • Here's a preview.

STEPHEN MCCRANIE'S SPACE BOY OMNIBUS VOL 3 TP

STEPHEN MCCRANIE'S SPACE BOY VOL 13 TP

SURVIVAL STREET #2

TWELVE PERCENT DREAD TP

USAGI YOJIMBO SAGA VOL 5 TP (2ND ED)

WARD #4

WE HAVE DEMONS TP

DC COMICS

BATMAN #127

BATMAN BEYOND: NEO-YEAR #6 (OF 6)

BATMAN: DEAR DETECTIVE #1 ONE-SHOT

Story/Art/Cover: Lee Bermejo | $7.99

BERMEJO AND BATMAN: AN ICON DRAWS AN ICON. What happens when a comics art powerhouse meets one of the greatest, most exciting heroes of all time? One part prestige art book, one part compelling noir tale, this one-of-a-kind edition collects some of Lee Bermejo’s most jaw-dropping Batman covers woven together to tell a story that strikes right at the heart of the Dark Knight’s never-ending crusade.

• Interesting gimmick. But a gimmick nonetheless.

BATMAN: KNIGHTWATCH #1 (OF 5)

Story: J. Torres | Art: Erich Owen, Marcelo Di Chiara | Cover: Marcelo Di Chiara | $2.99

After a massive breakout at Arkham Asylum, Batman and his team are on a mission to bring all the escapees back. First on the list is Clayface! Using social media, Batgirl taps into an informal network to track the villain throughout the city. This inspires Penny-One to create a more organized network of informants and spies called Knightwatch!

• What is this based on? A video game? A cartoon?

BATMAN: URBAN LEGENDS VOL 3

BLACK ADAM: THE JUSTICE SOCIETY FILES — ATOM SMASHER #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Cavan Scott, Bryan Q. Miller | Art: Travis Mercer, Marco Santucci | Cover: Kaare Andrews | $5.99

Al Rothstein has big shoes to fill. Very big shoes. But he needs to prove himself before he can call himself Atom Smasher. He has the costume, and he has a mission ... he just has to make it through the night in one piece. And in part 3 of the Teth-Adam backup story: history begins to repeat itself as, in ancient Kahndaq, Teth-Adam's son, Hurut, crosses a line for the greater good, while, in the present, Adrianna's son, Amon, joins the race to save the sought-after eternium idol from Intergang's clutches.

• LIke archer characters and winged characters, I've always been skeptical of giant characters. They don't look scary or powerful to me — they just look like big targets. Even Imperial Stormtroopers could hit this guy.

DARK CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS #4 (OF 7)

DARK KNIGHTS OF STEEL: TALES FROM THE THREE KINGDOMS #1 ONE-SHOT

Story: Tom Taylor, Jay Kristoff, CS Pacat | Art: Nathan Gooden, Various | Cover: Neil Googe | $5.99

The El Kingdom has been ruled with integrity and honesty for generations, by familes from the Waynes to the Els. The future of the kingdom lies with its three heirs and the challenges they will face ... but what really prepared them for their tumultuous future? What stories defined Bruce, Zala and Kal-El? Learn these tales and more from international bestselling writers Tom Taylor, Jay Kristoff and C.S. Pacat!

• This is like Li'l Archie ... if the Riverdale kids had super-powers and grew up to be kinda murder-y.

FLASHPOINT BEYOND #5 (OF 6)

MULTIVERSITY: TEEN JUSTICE #4 (OF 6)

NEW CHAMPION OF SHAZAM #2 (OF 4)

NUBIA & THE AMAZONS HC

NUBIA: QUEEN OF THE AMAZONS #4 (OF 4)

POISON IVY #4 (OF 6)

PUNCHLINE: THE TRIAL OF ALEXIS KAYE HC

ROBINS: BEING ROBIN TP

SUPERMAN ACTION COMICS VOL 2: THE ARENA TP

SWORD OF AZRAEL #2 (OF 6)

DYNAMITE ENTERTAINMENT

007 #2

INVINCIBLE RED SONJA #10

KARMA HC

Story: Dan Wickline | Art: Carlos Reno | Cover: Stejpan Sejic | Mature | $34.99

Alex is a photographer for an ad agency who leads a fairly quiet and reserved life. He gets a call one day from a friend, asking him to fill in on a photoshoot in the Valley. The swimwear shoot is on a set where he has a chance encounter with Karma, one of the lead models. Karma is fiercely independent woman who is working on being more than a star, but a brand. In Alex she sees someone new to her world, unjaded by it. Someone with a fresh eye... and she thinks it could be fun opening his mind to new adventures.

• Despite all the cheesecake, Dynamite almost never releases a "Mature" book. But here's one. I suspect — and I'm going out on a limb here — there may be boobies.*
  • * Stop the presses, Dynamite sent an advance review copy. There are boobies ... and considerably more. This is in the vein of Stejpan Sejic's Sunstone. If you like that, then you'll like this.

NINJETTES #1

Story: Fred Van Lente | Art: Joseph Cooper | Cover: Leirix | $3.99

Bursting from the pages of Jennifer Blood: Meet the Ninjettes! These college-age women were taught to fit the Profile — forced to become deadly and expendable assassins. But who created the Profile? Why were they selected to be its latest deadly operatives? And who will they kill first — their targets, or each other? It's all-out action from writer Fred Van Lente and artist Joseph Cooper!

• Now I've got Paul McCartney's "Jet" running through my head. Better than Elton John's "Sufragette City," I guess. Or almost anything by Joan Jett. YMMV.

IDW PUBLISHING

STAR TREK #400

Story: Wil Wheaton, Declan Shalvey, Chris Eliopoulos, Rich Handley, Mike Johnson | Art: Joe Eisma, Megan Levens, Luke Sparrow, Seth Damoose, Angel Hernandez | Cover: Louie De Martinis of Magnus Art | $7.99

Celebrate IDW's 400th issue of Star Trek comics with this monumental issue highlighting fan-favorite eras of the acclaimed series. This collection of minis brings together Star Trek comics veterans in an equal celebration of IDW's Star Trek comics past and future. Join little Keyla Detmer-as seen in Star Trek: Discovery-Adventures in the 32nd Century #3-on a new expedition, visit the Kelvin Universe, witness a heartfelt tale by TNG's very own Wil Wheaton, and more by Chris Eliopoulos, Declan Shalvey, Rich Handley and Mike Johnson, with art by Luke Sparrow, Seth Damoose, Megan Levens, Angel Hernandez and Joe Eisma!

• No, I'm not going to count all the IDW Star Trek books and see how close that "400" really is. Nope. My heart was broken by Amazing Fantasy #1000, and I will never trust again. Sob!

STAR TREK: MIRROR WAR — TROI #1

Story: Marieke Nijkamp | Art/Cover: Megan Levens | $3.99

The spotlight turns to Deanna Troi in this one-shot set in the Mirror Universe of The Next Generation. Expand upon the world of The Mirror War! At the turn of a new dawn for the Terran Empire, having achieved victory over the Cardassian-Klingon Armada, Deanna Troi reflects on just how far her ambition has driven her on her calculating quest to seek power and escape among the stars.

• This idea has about run its course, hasn't it? Can't wait for Star Trek: Mirror War — Ensign Boimler #1!

TMNT #132

TRANSFORMERS: BEST OF BUMBLEBEE ONE-SHOT

IMAGE COMICS

ANTIOCH #1

Story: Patrick Kindlon | Art/Cover: Marco Ferrari | $3.99

FRONTIERSMAN creators KINDLON & FERRARI pick up where that series left off with an all-new ONGOING SERIES! A king from a lost continent enters the world of man with a purpose: to stop us from killing the planet. But when he finds himself in a superhuman prison, his title is useless and his powers only matter if they help him survive!

DEAD LUCKY #2

EVERYDAY HERO MACHINE BOY GN

It's a bird, it's a plane, it's … Machine Boy! When Machine Boy falls from the sky into the domed city of Mega 416, he leaves a wake of destruction in his path … until Karate Grandpa is able to turn on his heart. Now, Machine Boy wants nothing more than to become a hero! Whether he is fighting giant bugs in the school's basement, rescuing cats from trees, or making the perfect spaghetti sauce, Machine Boy is always looking for the best way to help others. But when his heart begins to interact dangerously with other debris from space, Machine Boy wonders if he can be a power for good after all.

Tri Vuong and Irma Kniivila create a funny and engaging all-ages adventure that asks: Can you override your own programming?

"Machine Boy was initially inspired by '80s anime, 16-bit video games, and kung fu movies but as Irma and I delved deeper into his world, we found ourselves telling a story about the pain and joys of growing up,” said Vuong. “Hopefully it touches on those collective childhood memories and experiences that we all seem to share."

“The world of Everyday Hero Machine Boy kept getting more ludicrous as we worked on the story, but somehow more real. I wanted to live in Mega416 and could relate to the characters, even though that character might be a chicken jock,” said Kniivila. “We had a lot of big feelings while working on this story, and hope that it inspires big feelings too!”

Available everywhere books are sold September 2022, Everyday Hero Machine Boy marks the first Middle Grade release from Skybound Comet, a new original graphic novel imprint aimed at Young Adult (Ages 12+) and Middle Grade (Ages 8-12) audiences, but sure to captivate readers of all ages.

“Creators Kniivila (Year of the Dog) and Vuong (The Strange Tales of Oscar Zahn) present a funny, uncommonly charming mash-up of martial arts, superhero, and sci-fi comics. The rare all-ages title that will entertain, and perhaps even enthrall, adolescents and adults alike.” — Library Journal (Starred Review) 

“Machine Boy’s eccentricity and charm is undeniable. Their minimalistic approach to storytelling elicits a vast array of emotions only accomplished by creators who are at the top of their game. Within the span of a single chapter, I laughed, choked back tears, and then cheered for this lovable android. This should be a perennial read for readers of all ages.”  — Francis Manapul (Detective Comics, Justice League)

The trailer grants an all-new sneak preview of the eponymous hero as he tries to save his city, survive high school, and eat copious amounts of spaghetti, all while attempting to override his programming. Set against an 8-bit paradise, Everyday Hero Machine Boy is the heartwarmingly cool story that will inspire you to activate your heart and be an everyday hero.

• Once again, a book not aimed at me. But as has been pointed out, that doesn't mean I won't like it.
  • But here's the thing: I'll never know if I like it, because life is short, and I've got stacks of books to read that I know I'll like. So I'll never take the time to experiment with something so obviously aimed at a different demographic.
  • If someone else wants to give it a go, that's great — and let me know what you think. I'm not so old I can't be schooled!
  • Here's a preview.
  • Here's a trailer.

GOLDEN RAGE #2

IMAGE 30TH ANNV ANTHOLOGY #5

LEGO NINJAGO GARMADON #4

METAL SOCIETY #5

MIRKA ANDOLFO'S SWEET PAPRIKA #12

MONSTRESS VOL 7 TP

PRODIGY: ICARUS SOCIETY #3

SPAWN #333

SPAWN ORIGINS VOL 22 TP

STARHENGE: DRAGON & BOAR #3 (OF 6)

THAT TEXAS BLOOD #17

TIME BEFORE TIME #16

TWIG #5 (OF 5)

A TOWN CALLED TERROR #6

THE WALKING DEAD DLX #46

MARVEL COMICS

ALIEN #1

Story: Phillip Kennedy Johnson  | Art: Julius Ohta | Cover: Björn Barends | Parental Advisory | $3.99

Writer Phillip Kennedy Johnson will continue his bold contributions to the world of ALIEN in an all-new comic series! Featuring the incredible and terrifying artwork of rising star Julius Ohta, ALIEN #1 will kick off a new saga that will serve as a perfect entry point into the legendary horror/science-fiction franchise for newcomers and a must-read for longtime fans. Packed with thrilling revelations and fresh insights into the ALIEN mythos, this new chapter promises to further explore the hard-hitting themes Johnson presented in the title’s first era as a new cast of characters must go deep into Xenomorph territory for a chance to combat human extinction.

A small colony of synths have settled in secret on a backwater moon. When a company of United System soldiers come to them for help retrieving biotechnology on a hostile planet that could be the key to saving humanity, the synths must decide whether the prospect of peace between man and machine is worth the risk of betrayal.

“Writing season one of Marvel’s Alien was a horror fanboy’s dream come true,” Johnson said. “We got to tell exactly the story we wanted to tell, bringing horrific new species of Xenomorph to life while also exploring the themes of family and corporate distrust that are such a crucial part of the films. And as much as I loved our season one, we’re outdoing it in every way in the new series.

“Julius Ohta is exceeding all expectations as series artist. Every background, every facial expression and emotion, and of course, all the environmental creepiness and full-on body horror is lovingly rendered by Julius, who is at the absolute TOP of his game right now. I can’t say enough great things about him. Fans are going to be truly spoiled. Stay tuned for one of the best, most beautiful Alien comics ever made.”

“When I got invite to draw the new Alien series, I had a professional and standard reaction - I was glad to be invited and I was determined to make it the best work of my life. But then, a few minutes later, it came all at once — I understood that I was going to draw Alien … THE ALIEN. I freaked out (in a very good way) and then I knew the tremendous responsibility that is to be in this franchise,” Ohta added. “Even though there’s a huge responsibility to bring the series to life, I couldn’t expect a better welcome from the creative team. It’s been fantastic to work with Phillip, Sarah [Brunstad] and everyone involved. Phillip is a genius and also a gentleman and is always looking for something to make the story better. When I started reading the script, I couldn’t stop until I reached the last page. I could talk about it forever. … Sarah is such a kind editor and it’s been a dream to work with these guys!

“The Alien franchise influenced an entire generation and I’m among the people who were hugely influenced by the movies, designs, games and so much more. I hope readers enjoy the series we are bringing to them.”

MAN, MACHINE, AND THE MOST TERRIFYING CREATURE IN THE UNIVERSE … IT’S AN EXPRESS ELEVATOR TO HELL, AND YOU’RE GONNA WANT TO BE ON IT!

• I've got the first two Dark Horse "Alien" omnibuses, which probably renders redundant most of the "Alien" comics in my longboxes. Which is OK, since that collection has lots of holes in it. I needed the omnibuses to finish reading some incomplete miniseries that I knew I'd never take the time to complete.
  • So I've learned my lesson. This time, with Marvel, I'll just forgo the floppies and wait for the omnibus. And if it doesn't come out until I'm moldering in the grave, then I'll have saved some money!

ALL-OUT AVENGERS #1

Story: Derek Landy | Art/Cover: Greg Land | Inks: Jay Leisten | Colors: Frank D’armata | $3.99

Announced by Editor-in-Chief C.B. Cebulski at Fan Expo Philadelphia, there’s a brand-new Avengers ongoing series coming in September that’s going to launch readers directly into the thrilling missions of Earth’s Mightiest Heroes! Strap in for ALL-OUT AVENGERS!

An alien attack. A missing piece of wormhole tech. A city warped, its citizens transformed into hideous creatures loyal to an Empress from the far side of the universe. And a certain Captain Marvel, looking to her fellow Avengers with murderous intent ...

ALL-OUT AVENGERS will be written by award winning novelist Derek Landy, known for his outstanding work in the recent CAPTAIN AMERICA & IRON MAN limited series. Landy will be joined by Greg Land, the superstar artist who over the years has brought some of Marvel’s most memorable battles to life. Together, Landy and Land will throw readers into the middle of some of the Avengers’ most pulse-pounding adventures to date! From page one, panel one, the Avengers will be knee deep in the action with no setup, no explanations, and no time for questions! Beware of whiplash as you discover more with the flip of each explosive page!

The opening issue will star all your favorite A-List Avengers — Captain America, Iron Man, Thor, Spider-Man, Captain Marvel, Black Panther, Blade and Spider-Woman — as they overcome the odds and struggle to defuse a chaotic situation caused by a deadly new Marvel villainess. … They’ll have to perform feats like never before as each breathtaking issue raises the stakes higher and higher for an overarching and truly unpredictable saga.

Here’s what Landy had to say about the upcoming series:

“When Tom Brevoort approached me with this concept, I thought it was an inspired idea, a slice of creative genius, and also totally unworkable ...! But the chance to launch a new Avengers title, and the chance to write any character who'd ever BEEN an Avenger, was impossible for this particular Marvel fanboy to resist. Add in the fact that Tom wanted to get Greg Land on art and my fate was pretty much sealed.

“The trick was to work within the confines inherent in the concept, but also to find a way to deliver what everyone would expect: a continuity of ideas and the development of an overarching storyline. I needed to find the hook that drags the reader from issue to issue, and I figured the best way to do that was to put the Avengers in the exact same situation as the reader: they are aware that this is happening, but they don't know why.

Greg Land, Jay Leisten, and Frank D’Armata — it's such a thrill to be working with a team like this, a team responsible for making ALL-OUT AVENGERS the best-looking book you've got coming your way.”

“Having just finished up a nice run on the awesome Symbiote Spider-Man series of books, I wasn't sure what would be next. Getting All-Out sounded like it would be good but I got really excited when I read the synopsis,” Land added. “After reading Derek's script for #1, I knew it was going to be a fun and challenging project. All of the scripts so far have been full of interesting and cool scenes for our changing roster of Avengers. Hitting each issue in the middle of the action is a terrific story vehicle and gets us off running from the start. I hope everyone can see the excitement in the artwork and all-out action( pun intended). Along with my very talented buddies Jay Leisten and Frank D'Armata, we hope to give readers something to enjoy!”

• Read an interview with Derek Landy, and he says he got the idea for this from when he was a kid, buying comics at random at flea markets, which were often midway through a storyline or even at the end. So he's writing a comic book that basically starts in the middle or at the end, and you pick up how everybody got there along the way. But there is an overarching storyline that will some major Marvel baddie at the back of it.
  • Also, unlike a standard Avengers title, there  is no "main team" whose every member has to be serviced every issue. Landy will use whoever fits the story. If that appeals to you — and I admit, it kinda thrills my inner 12-year-old — then you'll like this.
  • Here's a trailer.

A.X.E. DEATH TO MUTANTS #2 (OF 3)

• Judgment Day title

BLACK PANTHER #9

CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY #4

Story: Collin Kelly & Jackson Lanzing | Art/Cover: Carmen Carnero | $3.99

Kicking off tomorrow in CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY #1, Collin Kelly, Jackson Lanzing, and Carmen Carnero’s new Captain America epic will find the Star-Spangled Avenger embroiled in a conspiracy as old as his shield — And eagle-eyed readers of the series might just be able to uncover information about the mystery before Cap himself does! Some clues have already dropped, some will emerge in the coming months, and readers can see for themselves just how shocking and far-reaching this mysterious saga will be in the cover to September’s CAPTAIN AMERICA: SENTINEL OF LIBERTY #4. 

Steve Rogers returns to New York with more questions than answers about the origin of the shield, only to discover that Bucky knows more about the sinister Outer Circle than Steve realized. And now something is stalking Captain America through the streets of Manhattan, putting everyone who crosses paths with Steve in danger…

• I love me a good murder board!

GHOST RIDER #6

HOW TO READ COMICS THE MARVEL WAY TP

Story: Christopher Hastings, Various | Art: Scott Koblish, Various | Cover: David Nakayama | Ages 10&up | $13.99

Presenting a universal gateway into the House of Ideas! Comic books can sometimes be like a foreign language to the uninitiated - with their own unique storytelling tools, visual shorthand and narrative conventions. Many clever cartoonists and scribes have shared their theories on the grammar of comics, but it's never been done in the Mighty Marvel Manner! Get ready, because Mysterio has trapped Spider-Man inside a comic book - and Spidey's going to help you navigate through the gutters, balloons, panels, pencils and more! Plus: See how top talents speak the "language of comics" in action-packed adventures featuring Peter Parker, Miles Morales, Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl and Devil Dinosaur! Collecting HOW TO READ COMICS THE MARVEL WAY #1-4, MS. MARVEL (2014) #1, ULTIMATE COMICS SPIDER-MAN #1, MOON GIRL AND DEVIL DINOSAUR #1 and SPIDEY #1.

• Wait! I already know how to read comics, don't I? Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years.

IMMORTAL X-MEN #6

KING CONAN CHRONICLES EPIC COLLECTION: PHANTOMS PHOENIXES TP

MARAUDERS #6

MIGHTY MMW INCREDIBLE HULK VOL 2: LAIR OF THE LEADER TP

MOON GIRL AND DEVIL DINOSAUR: PLACE IN THE WORLD TP              

MOON KNIGHT #15

NEW FANTASTIC FOUR #4 (OF 5)

NEW MUTANTS #29

PUNISHER #6

SHE-HULK #6

SHE-HULK BY SOULE PULIDO COMPLETE COLLECTION TP (NEW PTG)

SPIDER-MAN 2099: EXODUS OMEGA #1

• I haven't been paying attention to this storyline. Never cared much about the 2099 line. Does "Omega" mean it's over?

STAR WARS #27

STAR WARS LEGENDS EPIC COLLECTION EMPIRE VOL 7 TP

THING: NEXT BIG THING TP

WOLVERINE #24

X-MEN & MOON GIRL #1

Story: Mohale Mashigo | Art: David Cutler | Cover: Alitha E. Martinez | Teen | $4.99

The smartest person in the Marvel Universe is on the greatest mission yet and this August, she’ll need to call on mutantkind for backup! Continuing her series of one-shots that see Moon Girl battle alongside Miles Morales, the Avengers, and more, Moon Girl will take the fight to the High Evolutionary alongside the X-Men in the grand finale issue, X-MEN & MOON GIRL #1. Written by Mohale Mashigo with art by David Cutler, this latest adventure in Moon Girl’s adventure to save Devil Dinosaur will further cement Lunella’s place in the Marvel mythos and prove why her extraordinary intellect is unmatched! Together, the upcoming trio of one-shots will form a thrilling saga that will provide perfect entry points for readers eager to learn more about the young hero and gear fans up for her upcoming solo series!

The High Evolutionary is a dino-napper! With Captain Marvel’s help, Lunella tracks him all the way to the Moon itself to get him back, and stop the High Evolutionary from setting an army of dino-clones loose. But even when they’re reunited, something’s wrong — her connection with DD has been broken. Now Moon Girl must team up with Wolverine and chase the High Evolutionary to Counter-Earth in search of answers … or risk losing her best friend for good.

“Writing Moon Girl is a dream come true,” Mashigo said. “Lunella is fun, quirky, smart and full of energy. I've enjoyed seeing her get out of her comfort zone and shine even brighter.”

• Why is Wolverine always hanging around with little girls? Kitty Pryde, Jubilee, X-23, Ms. Marvel, Moon Girl ... it's getting a little weird.

X-MEN EPIC COLLECTION: DISSOLUTION REBIRTH TP (NEW PTG)

PS ARTBOOKS

It's another big week for PS Artbooks! I just love this weird old crap.

ACG COLLECTED WORKS: ADVENTURES INTO THE UNKNOWN TP

Art: Ogden Whitney, John Rosenberger, Pete Costanza, John Forte, Harry Lazarus, Paul Reinman, John Buscema | $26.99

The latest version of this fondly remembered title, containing weird tales of the past, present and future, brought to you by the usual ACG crew of Ogden Whitney, Kurt Schaffenberger, et al! Collects Adventures into the Unknown #102-107 (November 1958-April 1959).

• Ooh! John Buscema!

ACG COLLECTED WORKS: FORBIDDEN WORLDS TP

Art: Ogden Whitney, John Rosenberger, Bill Walsh, Tom Hickey, Chic Stone, John Forte, Maxwell Elkans | $29.99

Our glorious Forbidden Worlds series volume 18 in our ever popular SOFTEE format, features mind-boggling tales from issues #107-111. The ACG crew were producing even more stunning stories and art from comic book legends. Collects Forbidden Worlds #107-111 (October 1962-May/June 1963).

FIGHT COMICS FEATURING SENORITA RIO VOLUME 2

Art: Lily Renee, Bob Lubbers | HC ($46.99), Slipcase ($56.99), Softee ($33.99) | $46.99

Rita Farrar, aka Señorita Rio, the lovely actress-turned-agent survived in a male- dominated world due to her extraordinary skills, an excellent marksman, extremely athletic, capable of amazing feats and an expert fighter, skilled in jiu-jitsu and fencing battling Axis agents throughout South America — she truly is "The Queen of Spies"! Señorita Rio was one of the first female and Latin characters to feature on 7 covers of the former all boys club of Fight Comics! Collects Fight Comics #35-50 (December 1944-June 1947).

• As noted elsewhere, Lily Renee has passed just as her best work is finally getting reprinted. I hope she at least got to see volume one.

OUT OF THIS WORLD ADVENTURES VOLUME 1

Story: Gardner Fox, Laster Del Rey, A E Van Vogt, A Bertram Chandler | Art: Joe Kubert, John Giunta | 264 pages | $34.99

The wonderful folk at PS Artbooks bring you a fabulous two issue volume in the Ace Double format with 64 pages in full color illustrated by the legendary Joe Kubert with able assists by John Giunta. Also featuring an early Conanesque tryout, "Crom the Barbarian" by famed writer Gardner Fox. Complemented by stories from Lester del Rey and A.E. Van Vogt, among others. Collects Out of This World Adventures #1-2 (July & December 1950).

• I've read this, and "Crom the Barbarian" is just as derivative as you're imagining.

PS SOFTEE EDITION: WEIRD THRILLERS VOLUME 1

Art: Alex Toth, Murphy Anderson, Dan Barry, Ross Andru, John Prentice, Bob Powell, Pete Morisi, Henry Sharp, Gene Colan, George Tuska, Carmine Infantino, George Roussos, Ray Willner, Sol Brodsky, Frank Giacoia | 216 Pages | $29.99

We have all FIVE issues as 'CHASER COVER' variants for you to collect of WEIRD THRILLERS from Ziff-Davis, featuring the sublime painted covers by Allen Anderson and Norman Saunders. Just take a look at those covers! You better get your money ready, they'll be going fast … wonder which one will you get?

Available for the very first time in our handy SOFTEE format! But limited stock availability!

Collects Weird Thrillers #1-5 from Ziff-Davis (September/October 1951-October/November 1952).

PRE-CODE CLASSICS VOODOO VOL 3

Story/Art: Iger Shop | HC ($46.99), Softee ($33.99)

Okay horror fans, take heed, pay attention, listen to me very carefully, Don't try to outsmart fate! Those who get too crafty often lose their heads! Be extra careful of that woman on the road — she may be a murderous vampire! For your own safety don't try to scare anyone in the home of an axe-wielding murderous old crone. And whatever you do, please don't volunteer to take part in any medical experiments and I don't know how many times we've told you this but never ever stay for the night at "Werewolf Castle"! Collects Voodoo #15-18 (May/June 1954-January/February 1955).

• This wraps up the series. There was a 19th issue, but it was all reprints.

PS ARTBOOKS SOFTEE: BLACKHAWK VOL TWO

Art: Al Bryant, Bill Ward, Reed Crandall, Jack Cole | 232 pages | $32.99

The second volume in an ongoing series in PS Artbooks' popular SOFTEE format, featuring World War II Tales from Blackhawk #13-16 (Winter 1946-Autumn 1947).

• Dang it, I still don't have volume one! I can't even find it on Amazon! Does it exist anywhere? Instocktrades has damaged copies for sale, so I guess I'll get one of those.

PS ARTBOOKS CLASSICS: HORROR COMICS

Art: L. B. Cole, Mike Sekowsky, Various, A.C. Hollingsworth, Mike Roy | HC ($46.99), Slipcase ($56.99), Softee ($29.99)

Introducing our first volume of Classic Horror Comics, where we've unearthed some right little horrors! Starting with Terrifying Tales #11 (January 1953) Black Magic! Voodoo! Jungle Mystery! And cover artwork by L.B. Cole. And there's more with shocking and eerie tales including cannibalism in the pages of The Tormented #1-2 (July & September 1954). Climax! #1 (July 1955), from publisher Stanley Morse, features the aptly titled "Fate!" where no matter which road Rocky Webster chooses he meets justice! And it would be an injustice, if you miss the chance to buy this beauty! Climax! #2 (September 1955) gives us "The Witness," where Tony Paris commits murder but picks the wrong girl to be his alibi!

I think The Tormented has been included in a hardback somewhere, but I don't think I've seen Climax! in HC.

PS ARTBOOK NIGHTMARE MAGAZINE #2

Story/Art: Various | 68 pages | $18.99

This issue covers Nightmare #2 (Feb. 1971) from Skywald. This black-and-white comic horror magazine features:

• "Children of the Cold Gods" by Ross Andru
  • "The Phantom of Philip Hawks" by Alvin Hollingsworth
  • "The Circle of Circe!" By Syd Shores
  • "Blood for the Vampire" by Norman Nodel
  • "Pressed for Time" by Marv Wolfman and Dan Akin

All reproduced here completely like the original comic magazine.

Art: Matt Baker, more | 36 pages each | $19.99 each

All of these comics have been faithfully reproduced with all scans reworked to bring them back as close as possible to the dizzy days of the originals. With glossy covers and interiors printed on environmentally friendly matte carbon-based paper. In addition, an oversized A3 cover reproduction carefully mounted on card and ready to frame is included, with an embossed seal identifying the limited status of this imprint.

Featuring Fox's Phantom Lady #13 (August 1947), Phantom Lady  #14 (October 1947) and Phantom Lady #15 (December 1947).

PS ARTBOOKS PLANET COMICS SOFTEE VOL 15

Art: Joseph Doolin, Lily Renee, Murphy Anderson, Chester Martin, Bob Lubbers, George Evans, Frank Doyle | $26.99

Packed with crazy heroes and villains on far flung and distant planets. Drawn by Joe Doolin, Lily Renee, Chester Martin, George Evans, Bob Lubbers, Howard Larsen, Murphy Anderson, Frank Doyle, Fran Hopper, Maurice Whitman and Walter Palais. Collects Planet Comics #47-50 (March-September 1947).

SILVER AGE CLASSICS SPACE WAR HC VOL 2

Story: Joe Gill | Art: Bill Molno, Steve Ditko, Bill Fraccio, Matt Baker, Charles Nicholas, Dick Giordano, Bill Montes, Jon D'Agostino | HC ($46.99), Slipcase ($56.99), Softee ($29.99)

SPACE WAR Volume 2 from Charlton Comics poses the questions ... “Who are the Blue Men? What is their mission on Earth? Why is the desert so vital to their plans? Where is it all happening?”

WHO? WHAT? WHY? And WHERE? Fundamental universal sci fi teasers — luckily enough we have Steve Ditko to help us answer those questions! Along with a whole galaxy of writing and drawing talents like Rocco Mastroserio, Bill Molno, Dick Giordano and Charles Nicholas. You just won't be able to put this science fiction spectacular down and if you're quick, you can probably fight off several groups of marauding aliens! The only question we have is when you gonna buy a ticket for this spaceship?

Collects Charlton’s Space War #6-10 (August 1960-April 1961).

• When I saw that giant cat cover I thought, "Hmm, that looks like a cross between Gil Kane and Murphy Anderson." So I looked it up. Turns out it's by my (new) old pal from Ghostly Tales, Rocke Mastroserio!

MORE COMICS

2000 AD SCI FI SPECIAL 2022

Story: Paul Cornell, Michael Carroll, Karl Stock, Kek-W | Art: Emma Vieceli | Cover: Luke Preece | Rebellion / 2000AD | Mature | $9.00

This year's 2000 AD summer special has a musical theme as the Galaxy's Greatest Comic continues to celebrate 45 Revolutions Per Minute with Comic Rock! Each story has been inspired by a favorite song, as Paul Cornell and Emma Vieceli tackle Psi-Judge Anderson, Mike Carroll takes on Judge Dredd, Kek-W writes Judge Death, Karl Stock scripts Fiends of the Eastern Front, and lots more!

• Here's another publisher that doesn't often do "Mature" books. Or do they and I've just missed it? Not expecting boobies here, so maybe extra gore?

9 CIRCLES #3

BLADE IN THE DARK #1

Story: Morgan Quaid | Art: Wili Roberts | Cover: Rich Woodall | Black Caravan | $4.99

They came, masked, in the dead of night and burned the village to ash. Rook of the Hidden Song, sole survivor to his people, must seek Vengeance. Yet the path ahead is strewn with hidden dangers; monstrous creatures inhabiting the skins of the dead and dying, human soldiers warped by supernatural forces and rogue gods intent on mischief and destruction. Rook must cut a path of blood and reclaim the treasured heart of his ashen village or die in the attempt and take his place alongside his slaughtered kin.

BLADE RUNNER BLACK LOTUS #2

BOOGYMAN #1

Story: Mathieu Salvia | Art/Cover: Djet | Ablaze | $3.99

Monsters don't only exist in children's minds...

Passionate about reading, Elliott has always had a preference for the stories of boogeymen, those monstrous creatures which, at night, hide in the shadows or under the bed to frighten little children. He can't imagine how much they will change his life. ... Witnessing the bloody murder of his parents, he will discover that, in reality, boogeymen do indeed exist, and very precise codes govern their existence. When one of the most powerful boogeymen, "Father-Death," decides to protect him, Elliott finds himself plunged into a terrible conflict at the heart of a universe as terrifying as it is fascinating. On a dark, stormy night, Elliott's destiny will be fulfilled.

DEEP BLUE #4

E-RATIC: RECHARGED #1 (OF 4)

Story/Art: Kaare Andrews | AWA | $3.99

Recharge complete! The teenage hero with superpowers that only work for ten minutes a day is back to save the world again as he navigates even more pressing perils: young love, bullies, a broken family and the gauntlet that is high school. This time, young Oliver Leif is teamed with a barbarian princess who claims to be from another dimension. Spinning from the pages of The Resistance, E-Ratic combines electric action, teen drama and pure comics fun.

• Sounds Spider-Man-y. Kinda looks Spider-Man-y, too.

ENDANGERED #3

FEARLESS DAWN: SHORTS #1 ONE-SHOT

Story/Art/Covers: Steve Mannion | Asylum Press | 32 pages | $3.99

Asylum Press announces the return of Steve Mannion's Fearless Dawn with a one-shot entitled "Shorts" with a two variant covers by Steve and a sketch edition.

Hey Folks! We're back! Hyuck! Hyuck! Delivering this ONE-SHOT ISSUE of FEARLESS DAWN'S SHORTS. Featuring five all-new short stories and 30 pages of content! All your favorite Fearless Dawn Universe characters re-enacting SHORT STORIES from history, legend and folklore.  In "RUN" we FREAK-OUT as Fearless Dawn encounters some ghouls and ghosties from the Haunted Devils Den!!! Colorfully rendered in ink, marker and watercolors and displayed in beloved comic book format. In "General Mud" FD defeats every army in sight! FLIP THE EVER LOVIN' MUTHA OUT!!! When you witness "Jack the Ripper" meeting his match!!! Dinosaurs, zombies, monsters and sexy gals permeate this tome of comic goodness!  In "FIGHT" Fearless dawn takes on her arch-nemesis Helga again for a duel to end all duels!! A MASSIVE AMOUNT of comic book fun coming at you from Asylum Press and comics creator Steve Mannion.

"I'm very excited to offer this brand new Fearless Dawn one-shot to comic shops! " explains publisher Frank Forte, "We wanted to offer Steve's amazing artwork to comic shops so we did two variant cover versions with a third sketch cover, so fans can bug Steve about sketching and drawing all over them at cons."

• So, I see a lot of overlap in artistic influences between Steve Mannion and Eric Powell. What would you say they are? Jack Davis for sure, but who else? Eisner? Wrightson?
  • Here's a preview.

GIRL AND HER DOG ONE-SHOT

Story: John Holland | Art/Cover: Hernan Gonzalez | It’s Alive | $5.99

Writer John Holland, along with artist Hernan Gonzalez, delivers a moving love letter to dogs in A Girl and Her Dog. Evie is "the girl" and Max is "her dog." In time-tossed bits and pieces, we see her life from age 15 to 84. Max is there for all the important moments of her life, even after his life has ended. Don't miss this life-affirming tale, which speaks to the power of love, even in the face of death.

• They better not hurt the dog!

HAWK THE SLAYER #3 (OF 5)

HIGHBALL #1

Story: Stuart Moore | Art/Cover: Fred Harper | Ahoy | Mature | $4.99

Battlestar Galactica meets The Hitchhiker's Guide-for a game of darts, over shots! Meet space pilot Highball, the best shot in the galaxy-except for one problem: he can only hit the target when he's dead drunk. In this outrageous first issue, he faces off against a fierce but alluring bird-warrior, a disturbingly racist A.I., a crypto-obsessed fellow pilot, the maddening bureaucracy of Space Corp-and, of course, his own shameful inadequacies. Highball: saving the galaxy, one pint at a time!

• I know there are a lot of Ahoy fans here. Heads up!

HOLLER #5

KINGDOM COME: DELIVERANCE #2

LAST LINE #1

Story: Richard Dinnick | Art: Jose Holder | Cover: Andy Clarke | Aftershock | $4.99

Sally Hazzard just had the worst day of her life: While on a usual shift as a driver for the tube, the unthinkable happened when a man is pushed in front of her train and killed.

But ... there's something strange here. Sally swears the man was pushed but her supervisors, witnesses and the CC TV footage all show the man falling on his own. Sally cannot let this go, and her investigation into the murder introduces her to an MI-6 agent named Edward Tarn, also curious about the so-called accident.

Together, Sally and Ed discover an off-world explanation for the assassination, plus an alien invasion and the craziest plot twist of all: an interplanetary travel system buried deep beneath the London Underground!

Written by Richard Dinnick (Doctor Who: The 12th Doctor, Thunderbirds are Go!, Lost in Space: Countdown to Danger) and drawn by Jose Holder (X-Men: Apocalypse, Assassin's Creed: Origins, Rainbow Six Siege).

• I don't live in a city with a subway, so I'm not as fascinated by them as many big-city writers seem to be.

MEZO BATTLE AT COBAN ROCK #5 (OF 5)

NEW RAT CITY #1

Story: Honor Vincent | Art/Cover: George Quadros | Scout | $4.99

It's 2083, and there's not much left of New York City after years of floods, pests and infrastructure mismanagement. The only people keeping the city habitable for its few remaining residents are the pest controllers, and humane laws mean they generally aren't allowed to kill. Felicia Shepherd is a pest controller who has recently taken over the family business, after her mother disappeared and a rat-related accident took her dad out of commission. Felicia does the best she can for her clients, but her job becomes much harder when swarms of unnervingly organized pests start running rampant across the city! Enjoy the first issue of this NON-STOP! title, followed by the entire story collected soon in one volume.

• Good grief, there are a lot of first issues this week! I don't have much to say about most of 'em, though. Like this one. That cover does not excite me.
  • Nor does the concept of organized rats. You want scary? I'll send you some of our raccoons. Those little monsters have hands.

NOMADD CITY OF EMPTY TOWERS #3 (OF 6)

OMEGA #4 (OF 4)

PHANTASMAGORIA #1

Story: El Torres | Art/Cover: Joe Bocardo | Black Caravan | $4.99

In the Victorian London, an Intruder from the Outer has been summoned, leaving behind a series of gruesome killings. The mysterious Professor Hawke helps the possessed Jane Grantley to get rid of the creature. Hawke is an old, powerful wizard. But he's not the only wizard in London ... and the others may not be on his side!

• I bet if I turn that cover upside down, he'll say "I buried Paul."

SABRINA ANNIVERSARY SPECTACULAR #1

Story/Art/Cover: Dan Parent | Archie | $2.99

We couldn't possibly enter spooky season without celebrating Sabrina as much as possible! And we're kicking off this spectacular with a BRAND NEW Sabrina story that we guarantee will be the greatest Sabrina Halloween story ever! In "Celebration Vexation!" It's Sabrina's birthday and she's celebrating her day-with an epic battle against her nemesis, a BRAND NEW character named AMBER NIGHTSTONE! Amber is an evil witch born at exactly the same time as Sabrina. Only one witch born that day may live amongst mortals, and Amber wants her turn, so she has to erase Sabrina from history! All that plus a collection of classic-style spell-binding stories!

TRAILER PARK BOYS IN THE GUTTERS #1

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Trailer Park Boys Inc. | Devil’sDue | $5.99

The Trailer Park Boys are back with an all-new anthology comic book. First they made a comic book, then they were bagged and boarded, but now they're right where they belong: In The Gutters. This new book contains 40-pages of hilarious, violent, messed up stories following Ricky, Julian and Bubbles from haunted trailers to the beginning of all time and more!

Thank you, Canada, for sending us nothing but your best!

VANITY #2

VINEYARD #2

MORE GNs

45 YEARS OF 2000 AD: THE BEST OF GERRY FINLEY-DAY HC

ALVAR MAYOR BOOK 1: THE LEGEND OF EL DORADO HC 

Story: Carlos Trillo | Art/Cover: Enrique Breccia | Epicenter | $23.99

In the 17th century, the Americas were a paradise for adventurers, pirates and other people with bad reputation who sought to enrich themselves as quickly as possible, but it was also a mysterious and unknown land, with areas yet to be explored and great treasures to be found. In that dangerous jungle, only one person could guide the newcomers: Alvar Mayor. Don't miss this classic from two legends, Carlos Trillo and Enrique Breccia!

• Here it is the 21st century, and we still have pirate comics. We live in a strange and beautiful world, do we not?

ARCHIE JUMBO COMICS DIGEST #333      

BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA ATLAS

BLUESMAN SC

By Rob Vollmar and Pablo Callejo | NBM | 6x9 | 224 pages | B&W TPB | $19.99

Now collected into one stunning paperback!

This story, structured like a traditional 12-bar blues song, with three sections each made of four chapters, follows blues musician Lem Taylor's harrowing journey starting from juke joints he appears in across Arkansas of the late twenties, a black man hunted down for a crime he didn't commit. A racially intense story presenting a significant aspect of black history, its music, its social injustice.

"A moody masterpiece of fiction that is all the more compelling because every word of it could be true [Uses] a broad visual palette that matches its dramatic variety of emotions." — Teacher Librarian

• I have the hardback of this title on my bookshelf, which came out 16 years  ago. No, I do not remember anything about it.
  • Here's a preview.

GEORGE R.R. MARTIN'S CLASH OF KINGS VOL 3 GN 

HALINA FILIPINA: NEW YORKER IN MANILA GN

Story: Arnold Arre | Art: Arnold Arre | Tuttle | $14.99

Halina Mitchell is half-Filipino, half-American. She's also a native New Yorker-sophisticated, beautiful and confident. On her first visit to the Philippines, she arrives in Manila to reconnect with relatives only to encounter a world of surprises that turn all her assumptions on their head. With the intrepid film critic Cris as her guide, she discovers a Manila that few others get to see! Cris's wry takes on bad movies offer Halina a new lens on the modern world as he whisks her through his hometown at breakneck speed. In turn, Halina gives the struggling writer a newfound appreciation for his city. This book offers a rom-com take on modern life and a touching story of friendship, love and crosscultural (mis)understanding from a renowned graphic novel pioneer.

• I guess this could fall under the "Travel Without Leaving Your Couch" header.

HELL NEBRASKA GN

Story: Shaun Manning | Art/Cover: Anna Wieszczyk | CEX Publishing | $24.99

CEX Publishing is proud to present a deluxe, hardcover edition of the indie hit comic! What would you do if you discovered that hell does not exist? Could you take on the role of the devil himself, meting out punishment for the wicked in your grotesque city of the damned? The team of Shaun Manning (Macbeth: The Red King) and Anna Wieszczyk (Godkiller) explore the temptation to take divine power into human hands as a popular high school teacher and his star pupil wield damnation and forgiveness as weapons.

• It's a darn good thing I didn't have unlimited power in high school. It would not have ended well.

HOW TO MAKE A MONSTER TP

Story: Casanova Frankenstein | Art: Glenn Pearce | $29.99

How to Make a Monster is Frankenstein's unflinching memoir of growing up as a Black INTJ 13-year-old in 1980.

Conveyed as a bleak first-person narrative with darkly humorous overtones, Casanova Frankenstein reveals how real-life experience shaped his hard-bitten, survivalist view of life. His was a world of fear and isolation punctuated by bullying thugs, the stifling atmosphere of the Lutheran school on the South Side of Chicago, racial segregation, unapproachable girls, and a home life consisting of an emotionally distant and unsupportive mother and a violent, alcoholic cop father who was not above giving his son a good thrashing now and again while preaching Christian family values. It is a searing portrait of an unbearably painful upbringing.

How to Make a Monster is illustrated by Australian outsider artist Glenn Pearce in a rare creative symbiosis in which Pearce captures Frankenstein's inner turmoil using a variety of artistic approaches ranging from naturalistic portraiture to outrageously inventive phantasmagoric imagery. A seamlessly contrapuntal balancing act between Frankenstein's raw, unadorned writing and Pearce's stunningly detailed drawing.

• I had to look up “INTJ,” and apparently it stands for an “Introverted, Intuitive, Thinking, Judging” personality. If that helps.
  • Isn’t Casanova Frankenstein the name of the villain in Mystery Men?
  • Here's more info.

HYPERTHICK TP

IT'S SO MAGIC HC

Story/Art/Cover: Lynda Barry | Drawn & Quarterly | $21.95

The Mullen family dynamics are in flux. Uncle John makes a brief return to town to the delight of the girls. Freddy is finally reunited with his sisters. Marlys falls in love for the first time. And after they finally settle into a routine at their grandmother's, the Mullen siblings' find out that their mother might be ready to take them back in. With war in the background and precarious parental support, the siblings long for peace. Narrated by Maybonne, Marlys, and Freddy, It's So Magic captures Lynda Barry's unparalleled ability to depict the magic of youth experiencing firsts in a world that contains as much humor as it does hardship.

• Here's another What Th--!? from D&Q. I admit to curiosity, as well as feeling some '70s underground comix vibes.
  • Are those characters afflicted with freckles, or monkeypox?

KAIJUMAX VOL 6: SEASON 6 TP

KING DIAMOND VOL 1: ABIGAIL TP

Story: Dan Watters | Art: Damien Worm | Z2 Comics | $24.99

King Diamond's classic horror story featured on his 1987 concept album Abigail has received a masterful in-depth overhaul and is brought to life in a whole new way in this stunning graphic novel by Dan Watters, Damien Worm and King Diamond himself!

• I confess I had no idea who or what a King Diamond is. Thankfully, Mr. Wiki came to my rescue:
  • "Kim Bendix Petersen (born 14 June 1956), better known by his stage name King Diamond, is a Danish rock musician. As a vocalist, he is known for his powerful and wide-ranging singing voice, in particular his far-reaching falsetto screams. He is the lead vocalist and lyricist for both Mercyful Fate and the eponymous King Diamond."
  • Ya learn something new every day. Now excuse me, I must go practice my falsetto screams.

LAWLESS BOOK 4: BOOM TOWN TP

MARVEL STUDIOS ETERNALS OFFICIAL MOVIE SPECIAL HC

MARVEL’S DEADPOOL ANNUAL SPECIAL HC

MY TRAVELS IN JAPAN: A COMIC BOOK ARTIST'S AMAZING JOURNEY

Story/Art: Audry Nicklin | Tuttle | $15.99

For comic-book artist Audry Nicklin, her visit to Japan was the trip of a lifetime. However, she only had ten days to see everything she had dreamed of! Armed with her watercolors and accompanied by her husband, Connor, she explored Hiroshima and its Peace Memorial Park; the famous red-gated shrine at Miyajima; Himeji Castle; neon-lit Osaka; the ancient temples of Mount Koya, Nara, and Kyoto; and the crowded streets and leafy parks of Tokyo. With cute illustrations and entertaining commentary from the artist, this book will appeal to manga fans and anyone who loves Japan. Practical tips are included for those interested in painting on location.

• Ooh, more travelogue comics!

RAJ VOL 1 (OF 2): MISSING NABOBS OF CITY OF GOLD GN

Story: Wilbur | Art: Didier Conrad | Cinebook | $11.95

Bombay, 1831. Freshly arrived from London, Alexander Martin reports to his new boss at the Indian Political Service, a government agency whose function is little more than helping the East India Company expand its grasp upon the Indian subcontinent. The enthusiastic, somewhat idealistic young man soon begins displeasing the British establishment, and is shunned by Bombay's polite society ... until several of its members begin disappearing, forcing Alexander to investigate.

• Again, I always find covers to Cinebook titles interesting, while never having actually seen one in real life.

RISE AGAINST PRESENTS: NOWHERE GENERATIONS

Story/Art: Various | Z2 Comics | $19.99

The world is a powder keg — a system that favors power, wealth and status — and we're well past the tipping point. But Insurrectos: Presented By Rise Against is more than just a tale of rebellion fueled by the band's passionate politics and artistic inspiration. This is a glimpse into the lives of the abandoned, a collection of down and out individuals coming together for a revolution; these are the stories of the ones who fight back.

• Bleeding Cool says Bill Jemas has stepped down from Z2, or maybe has been asked to step down. Just passing that along.

RISE OF DRACULA TP

SABRINA: 60 MAGICAL STORIES TP

Story/Art: Various | Cover: Dan DeCarlo | Archie | $14.99

Celebrate 60 years of Sabrina the Teenage Witch with this fun, full-color commemorative collection of magical and mischievous stories! Sabrina: 60 Magical Stories collects over 500 pages of classic and beloved comic book stories-the best from each of the six spell-binding decades of Sabrina's history. The must-have collector's item also features special behind-the-scenes and fan-centric anecdotes that shed light on each decade and iteration of Sabrina. This spellbinding tome is the perfect companion to 2021's fan-favorite Best of Archie Comics: 80 Years, 80 Stories collection!

• I bought The Complete Sabrina the Teenage Witch: 1962-1972 back in 2014. It was in B&W, sadly, and digest size. But it  was still all the Sabrina I'll ever need. The book I have is labeled "Volume One," and if they ever publish a Volume Two, I'll get it. But otherwise I'm good.
  • Again, here's her first adventure, free from Archie.

THE SARGE HC

Story: Gerry Finley-Day | Art/Cover: Mike Western | Rebellion / 2000AD | $25.00

Brand new hardback collection of a beloved WWII strip from the legendary Battle comic, with an introduction by Garth Ennis (Preacher, The Boys). British Sergeant Jim Masters, a veteran of the Great War, has to protect and lead his inexperienced platoon during the Second World War. From Dunkirk to North Africa, the might of the German Army face the ultimate adversaries when Masters and his boys spring into action. Nothing can substitute for experience!

• British comics always seem so cool until I actually read them.

SEE YOU AT SAN DIEGO: AN ORAL HISTORY OF COMIC CON TP

• The press release can be found here.

SILENCERS DEFINITIVE ED HC

SPACE TRASH VOL 1 HC

Story/Art/Cover: Jenn Woodall | Oni Press | $21.99

In Jenn Woodall's debut graphic novel series, three teenagers attending school on the moon try to keep their boredom and resentments at bay as they stumble across an exciting secret that could change the course of their future.

In 2115, Earth has been abandoned as a lost cause and mankind has moved on to space colonization. At a decrepit high school on the moon for underprivileged youth, Stab, Yuki and Una are three teenagers who try to keep their boredom and resentment at bay by fighting rival gangs and cliques, hanging out, sleeping their way through class, all while trying to avoid punishment from the Student Council.

Fights over turf, respect and snacks lead to unearthing an exciting secret, but will their friendship be strong enough to forge a new future?

• Guh. Teenage drama. Pass.

SURVIVOR: ARON'S STORY GN

Story: Alex Teplish | Art: Deveo Media Studio, Adrian Barbu, Oana Vaida, Marius Antim | Cover: Albert Urmanov | Graphic History Publishing | $25.00

Aron considered himself a typical Jewish-Soviet boy, getting along with his Russian and Ukrainian neighbors while growing up in multi-cultural Odessa of the 1930s. Life didn't come easy to his Yiddish and Russian-speaking family, but they got by, assimilated to their surroundings. As the '40s approached, Nazi Germany began its march across Europe, with the extermination of the Jewish people as one of its aims. Allied with Romania, the Nazis now set their sights on the Soviet Union, fighting the Red Army for territory while committing mass atrocities against the Jews and other people they deemed "unfit for life". Living through the Odessa Massacre, Aron, his two brothers, sister, and parents were expelled from their home city, struggling to survive the Holocaust perpetrated by the German and Romanian Army along with their local collaborators.

The first part of this book shares Aron's experience of living in Odessa, Ukraine (part of the former USSR) and his survival as a teenager under the Romanian/Nazi occupation during WWII. Aron's story, visually depicted here in the graphic novel form, allows us to experience the events first hand, through the eyes of young Aron himself, while learning about one of the least documented episodes of the Holocaust. The second part of the book delves deeper into the history of the Jewish Diaspora, connecting this historical background to the roots of Jewish persecution, World War II, and the Holocaust.

Many of the events from Aron's life presented in this book have been translated from his interview to the Shoah Foundation, founded by Steven Spielberg.

• Always a sucker for true-life, historical stories.

TEXAS JACK VOL 1 GN

Story: Pierre Dubois | Art: Dimitri Armand | Cinebook | $15.95

Texas Jack is a legendary hero, a crack shot and a champion of the helpless who gunned down dozens of enemies ... in his traveling show and the novels that bear his name! In reality, though, he's never been west, and has never shot at anyone. So when a government agent asks him to go to Wyoming to face a bloodthirsty maniac, his first reaction is to say no. Yet to preserve his reputation, he eventually takes the job, and leaves with his three co-stars in the show.

• European Westerns can be really imaginative. I guess they're far enough away in time, space and culture that the Wild West must seem like a sort of Never-Never Land where anything's possible.

TEXAS JACK VOL 2 GN

VENDETTA: HOLY VINDICATOR TP

MORE MANGA

AGGRETSUKO OUT TO LUNCH #2

BLACK CLOVER GN VOL 30

BLOOD ON TRACKS GN VOL 10

BLOOD ON TRACKS GN VOL 11

BREASTS ARE MY FAVORITE THINGS IN WORLD GN VOL 04

BY THE GRACE OF GODS GN VOL 05

CORRESPONDENCE FROM END OF UNIVERSE GN VOL 01

ELUSIVE SAMURAI GN VOL 02

FIANCEE OF THE WIZARD GN VOL 04

GHOST REAPER GIRL GN VOL 02

HERO LIFE OF SELF-PROCLAIMED MEDIOCRE DEMON GN VOL 06

IMA KOI NOW IM IN LOVE GN VOL 03

KUBO WONT LET ME BE INVISIBLE GN VOL 03

MAGICAL REVOLUTION REINCARNATED PRINCESS & LADY GN VOL 02

MARGINAL OPERATION GN VOL 11

MY HERO ACADEMIA VIGILANTES GN VOL 13

NO LONGER HEROINE GN VOL 01

ON OR OFF GN VOL 01

OVERLORD GN VOL 15

PRINCE FREYA GN VOL 07

QUEENS QUALITY GN VOL 15

SHANGRI LA FRONTIER GN VOL 01

TRIAGE X GN VOL 23

UNWANTED UNDEAD ADVENTURER GN VOL 07

WHEN WILL AYUMU MAKE HIS MOVE GN VOL 07

MORE KIDS

BABY-SITTERS CLUB COLOR ED GN HC VOL 12 JESSI’S SECRET LANGUAGE

BUSH LEAGUERS #1

COVEN GN

CUPCAKE DIARIES GN VOL 01 KATIE & CUPCAKE CURE

DC SUPER HEROES LITTLE LIBRARY BOARD BOOKS

GUSTAV AND HENRI TP VOL 01 SPACE TIME CAKE

JOHN CARPENTER’S STORM KIDS: STANLEY & FORGOTTEN FOREST

MAGICAL HISTORY TOUR GN VOL 10 FIRST STEPS ON THE MOON

MASSIVELY MULTIPLAYER WORLD OF GHOSTS VOL 1: SATURDAY AM GN

MONSTER FUN SUMMER SPECIAL

TOOBALOTH OF GOON HOLLER SC

TRASH & CAN IT VOL 1: DISPOSABLE HEROES TP

YOUNG AGATHA CHRISTIE HC

You need to be a member of Captain Comics to add comments!

Join Captain Comics

Votes: 0
Email me when people reply –

Replies

• Wait! I already know how to read comics, don't I? Maybe I've been doing it wrong all these years.

Not much to do with what you're asking here, but it was a bit of an adjustment when I started reading manga that was printed "Japanese-style".  It's not just the "back-to-front, right-to-left" stuff, but many of the visual cues are different in manga.  (For example, knowing that a character getting a sudden explosive nosebleed is a comedic way of expressing lust.)

Many manga that I read have a section at the end explaining various obscure cultural references, or explaining difficulties in translating word-play or regional accents and such.  Some jokes just cannot be properly translated, and translators will end up  having to  crete a new joke that has an approximately similar effect.

It just now occurred to me to wonder if Japanese translations of American comics had similar sections. I imagine that references to Captain Kangaroo or Anthony from the Prince Spaghetti commercials or someone saying "It's the bees knees!" would be quite obscure to the average Japamese reader.

• "Does 'Omega' mean it's over?"

Does "ultimate" mean the last? Was "Final Crisis" final? Do "anniversary" issues mark anniversaries? 

"It's another big week for PS Artbooks!"

But still no "Dick Briefer Frankenstein" slipcase. :(

• Baron, everything I learn from you blows my mind. Please continue at every opportunity.

Nosebleeds? Really? I can't wait to tell my wife. I thought the relentless ellipses was a mystery.

The Baron said:

Not much to do with what you're asking here, but it was a bit of an adjustment when I started reading manga that was printed "Japanese-style".  It's not just the "back-to-front, right-to-left" stuff, but many of the visual cues are different in manga.  (For example, knowing that a character getting a sudden explosive nosebleed is a comedic way of expressing lust.)

Many manga that I read have a section at the end explaining various obscure cultural references, or explaining difficulties in translating word-play or regional accents and such.  Some jokes just cannot be properly translated, and translators will end up  having to  crete a new joke that has an approximately similar effect.

It just now occurred to me to wonder if Japanese translations of American comics had similar sections. I imagine that references to Captain Kangaroo or Anthony from the Prince Spaghetti commercials or someone saying "It's the bees knees!" would be quite obscure to the average Japamese reader.

This reply was deleted.