Replies

• And that concludes Walt Simonson's first Thor story arc.

"Story arc" is a term bandied about far too frequently to descibe a simple multi-part storyline. As I see it, a "story arc" is an "arc of stories" (plural), all building toward a common theme or goal. For example, the "Surtur" story arc complrises four separate and distinct storylines.

SUTUR STORY ARC:

1. Beta Ray Bill (#337-340)
    2. Fafnir & the Last Viking (#341-343)
    3. Malekith & the Casket of Ancient Winters (#344-348)
    4. Surtur & the Return of Beta Ray Bill (#349-354)

REACTIONS:

This run of Thor blew my socks away when I first read it in 1984, and it still blows my socks away today, 40 years later. But not everyone was so pleased. Here are a few knock letters from #341 & #345. I will omit the wrters' names so as to save them emberrassment. I like to think these were just kids (the salutations they used were ""Hey, Dudes" and "Dear Mr. Walt") who didn't know any better. Both of these letter writers were from the state of Virginia, so maybe there was someting in the water there at the time.

First Letter:

THOR #337: I liked the story, because it was different, but the art? Can't handle it. The cover was catchy, but again, the art screwed it up. Hopefully this overrated Simonson guy will clean up his act.

And Loki? Man, what's he done to Loki? And, of course, Balder! All I see is an old, grey haired womanish blob. Thor is one of my favorite titles. I'd like you to keep it that way.

Second Letter:

I have always liked THOR until you came on. I can't stand the ART and the stories are BAD! Thor used to have great art. The Thor A nnual had great art! Whoever this overrated Walt Simpson (sic) is--get him off NOW!!!!!

I'm sure Walt Simonson lost a lot of sleep over these letters. In any case, this third letter, from #347, offsets them both, and this time I will mention the letter-writer's name: Stan Lee.

Third Letter:

"THOR" keeps getting better and better! Dunno how you do it--but don't stop! Excelsior!

(I know I posted that letter earlier in this discussion, but I thought it was worth repeating.)

It is convenient that this discussion has reached this point at this time because personal business is going to take me off the board for the remainder of the week.

• THOR #355:

86927464040.355.jpg

This story marks a definite transition between the first story arc and the second, with Sal Buscema, Walt Simonson's hand-picked back-up artist, spelling him on the penciling for the first time. Thor is lying inconscious in a cave and is being looked over by an old man who has the ability to handle Mjolnir with ease. When Thor awakens, he asks the giant how he managed to get transport his hammer to the cave when no one other than Odin and himself is able to lift it. The mysterious figure lies that his magical ice servants, as unliving simulcra, were able to carry it.Thor's host introduces himself as Tiwaz, which is one among many he has used. Thor spends several days recuperating in  the ice cave, and Tiwaz requires that Thor wrestle him every day before being fed. 

While Thor is resting, they spend their time discussing many things, from philosopy to the history of Asgard. Their conversations touch on themes of stories in the previous arc (#348 and #354 in particular), and how the lessons learned from them might apply going forward. In one of their conversations, the discrepancies in the origins of Odin (from #294 and #349 specificall) arise, leading to my favorite exchange of the issue. Tiwaz asks, "Did not a great eyeball with a grudge once tell you that your father was the fusion of four earlier gods? And did not Odin himself tell you of his younger days with his two brothers? In truth, were I told conflicting stories by my father and a floating eyeball... I know which I should believe." some fans at the time saw this as being disrespectful to Roy Thomas, but I thought it only reinforced that earlier story. 

We also are shown scenes of the Warriors Three, Beta Ray Bill and Sif on Earth, and of Loki and Lorelei in Asgard. After a few days, Thor is finally able to best Tiwaz in their daily wrestling match and it is time for Thor to leave. Tiwaz directs him to the hostel where Frigga and the children have taken refuge and they are reunited. At the very end of the story, Tiwaz reveals (to readers, not to Thor) that he is actually Buri, Thor's grandfather.

• THOR #356:

86927464040.356.jpg

This issue (by Bob Harras, Jackson Guice and Bob Layton),is not actually part of Walt Simonson's run on Thor (nor is it included in the omnibus) and I hadn't planned to mention it at all, but it occurs at a fortuitous time because personal business is going to take me away from the board for a few days. It does, however, go a long way toward explaining what really happened in Marvel Team-Up #28. See you back here when I return!

54721413440.28.gif

• Is that the one where Hercules is telling the story to  a bunch of  little kids, and realizes that he's upsetting some little kid who's a Thor fan, so he changes his story on the fly to make Thor  look good?

• It is. It is also the story in which, according to Hercules, he picked up the entire island of Manhattan and shook it to "shake loose" some crooks.

Marvel Team-Up #28 is the one in which this happened:

Hercules.jpg

The text of the Marvel No-Prize book was written by Jim Owsley (Christopher Priest) pretending to be Stan Lee.

61032434472.1.gif

(Stan contributed a "disclaimer" at the beginning saying he had nothing to do with it.)

• I have been away from this thread (for the better part of two weeks now, just as I was getting started, really), but we are not even halfway through Walt Simonson's run. Without further ado, then, I would like to delve back into this discussion starting with...

THOR #357:

86927464040.357.gif

After the conclusion of the Surtur arc, a transition issue abd taking an issue off, Walt Simonson begins his second arc with a series of scenes setting the stage and moving the players into position.

Scene 1: Thor leads Frigga and the Asgardian children through the far reaches of Asgard back home. They are accosted by two Frost Giants. Thor drives them off and is about to pursue when Frigga advocates showing them mercy. Her husband is gone, she is eager to get back home and, frankly, has had her fill of killing.

Scene 2: Sif and Beta Ray Bill in downtown Manhattan; a playful scene of two friends seeing the sights and enjoying each other's company.

Scene 3: A few blocks away, a man carrying a broom drops a few cards into a trash bin. He manipulates a device on the handle of his broom, and the cards become armored soldiers. They break into the New Federal Reserve Bank of New York and identify themselves as the "GLF." Attracted by the naoise, Sif and Bill engage them and pursue, but the disappear down an alleyway. After that, the man with broom reappears and sweeps up the cards they have become. (Incidentally, the title of this issue's story is 'A New Deal from an Old Deck or The Credit Card Soldiers),' displaying Simonson's tongue-in-cheek humor and sense of whimsy.)

Scene 4: On Manhattan's Upper West Side, the Powers chilren (from Power Pack) encounter the Warriors Three. 

Scene 5: Atop the North tower of the World Trade Center, Bill and Siff grow ever closer.

Scene 6: On the edge of the wastes in Loki's castle, he and  Lorelei scheme. She seems to be losing interest in Thor, but expresses an interest in Loki, asking about his wife. Loki provides Lorelei with a phial of vapor, some sort of love potion. His plan is for her to take control of Thor and to ascend to the throne of Asgard with Thor's endorsement, but her plan, is too betray Loki and becaome the power behind the throne (Thor's, that is). 

Scene 7: The Enchantress has deduced Loki/Lorelei's scheme, finds Odin's Scepter of Power on the field of battle, and puts some kind of spell on it.

Scene 8: The children of Asgard playfully ambush Thor and Frigga with deluge of snowballs. Thor ducks and Frigga dodges, then Thor spins them into a snowdrift with his hammer. But Gunnhild (Hildy) sneaks up from behind and knocks his helmet off with a snowball. Frigga points out that he could have avoided the shot, but Thor replies that ":if they were not encouraged with some small degree of success, the children would soon tire of the game... and the raod home would seem that much longer." Thor expresses his feelings for Sif and worries that he may have lost her to Bill. After this brief respite, the children gather for another attack.

(This scene reminds me of a similar one from Avengers in which Captain  America and Ms. Marvel are strolling through the Avenger's garden one winter day and a mischievous youngster tries to paste Captain America with a snowball. Cap easily deflects with his shield it and the perpetrator runs away saying, "Gotta change muh pants!")

Scene 9: The GLF and the man with the broom (Sergei) report to their leader. We learn that the leader is holding Sergiei's parents hostage and is forcing him to do his bidding. Behind his back, Sergei drops a handful of cockroaches onto the floor.

Scene 10: Loki finds the Scepter of Power, but Heimdall soon appears and takes it from him for safekeeping. Loki insincerely remaks, "The Guardian of the Rainbow Bridge should have some duties now that the bridge no longer exists," to which Heimdall dryly replies, "Considering those who remain in Asgard, Loki... you have voiced my thoughts exactly."

Scene 11: The next day. Thor, Frigga and the children return to the ruins of Asgard, and Heindall turns the septer over to Frigga. 

Scene 12: Sif and Bill are still atop the WTC as dusk falls. Sif tells Bill that her place is in Asgard. He accepts that decision, and was even anticipating it.

Final Scene: Lorelei (whom Thor still recognizes as "Melodi") appears in  Thor's bedchamber and exposes him to the love potion.

This issue is a good example of why I often become impatient with today's "decompressed storytelling" technique. Nothing really happens this issue, yet everything happens. Few will remember Thor #357 specifically as a highlight of Simonson's run, but look at the amount of story conveyed in 22 pages.

To conclude with one final example of Simonson's wit, the "next issue" blurb reads: "Is Thor becoming a romance comic? Has Marvel's fabulous rock 'em sock 'em book degenerated into nothing more than purile soap opera? Will kissing become the rule rather than the exception? IS NOTHING SACRED? Don't hold your breath!! And don't miss our next issue! → When Daliance was in Flower!!"

• THOR #358:

86927464040.358.gif

Lorelei reveals her true self to Thor and he falls under the influence of the love potion. Beta Ray Bill and Sif meet again atop the WTC. It's the next day, and I assume they didn't stay there all night because they're both now in costume. In the Redhook section of Brooklyn, the GLF (Green Liberation Front) begins to realize the true nature of their leader. (Oh, why be coy? It's the Titanium Man.) they are bank robbers, but they are American bank robbers. Sergei learns that his parents are actually dead, so the titanium Man has nothing to hold over his head anymore. In Manhattan, the troops are preparing to depart and take their leave of the warriors from Valhalla. Harokin admires one soldier's M-16. Back in Asgard, in post-coital bliss, Lorelei trys to sway Thor toward suporting Loki. He is pretty much completely under her control at this point, but that is one step he still refuses to take. 

At the Federal Reserve Bank of New York, Sergei drops the cards which will transform into the GLF. Their plan is to disrupt the banks computer records with a repulser, but little do they know that the Titanium Man' plan is to bring the entire system to a halt to damage the U.U. economy. Once again, their atttack draws the attention iof Beta Ray Bill. This time, the Titanium Man leads the charge (although at this point is armor is disguised by some sort of hologram). In a nearby bar, Volstagg becomes involved in a friendly wager. Sergei betrays the Titanium Man and shorts out his disguise. When the GLF realizes who they've been working for, they turn against him, but the T-Man activates a device which transports him away. Sergei gives Bill the device which transforms the GLF into cards and back. Bill confronts the mercenaries and gives them the chance to get away, telling them that he's going to activate it in five minutes, and if they're still in their armor he will leave them as cards. 

In an alleyway, the super-villain Megatak is killed by an apparently homeless man. (The is a part of the "Scourge" storyline running across multiple titles in which Marvel cleaned house of various and sundy lame villains. It has no impact on the overall storyline.) Sergei returns to where he knows the T-Man will be. Not knowing Bill was about to activate the transformation device, he was transformed into a card, which Sergei tears in half and throws in a trash bin as revenge for his parents. Back in Asgard, Lorelei seems to make a play for Loki. Heimdall brings news that Malekith has escaped, and Thor has finally come around to the idea of Loki being Asgard's ruler. 

"NEXT: The Grand Alliance! - The story you never thought you'd see--but can't wait to read! (Take our word for it!)"

This reply was deleted.