What Spider-Man story would you recommend to a first time reader?

Hypothetically, there's someone who's never read a comic book in their lives. They approach you and ask for a recommendation for  Spider-Man story. What single isdue/story would you recommend?

I spent a lot of time tossing this one around in my head. As good as his origin is, I don't really think the tone is the best for a new reader. I love the Master Planner Saga, but once again I don't think the tone is quite right. After deliberating for a while, I settled on the Stone Tablet Saga from Amazing Spider-Man #68-75.

I chose this particular run because I feel it showcases much of what makes Spider-Man Spider-Man. He uses his powers, he uses his brain, he's hot good villains to fight, plus there's just enough of the melodrama we're all used to(the great art by John Romita helps a lot too).

There are no right answers. However, please talk about why you're choosing the story. 

Views: 35

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

SINGLE ISSUE: Spectacular Spider-Man (1968) #2

STORYLINE: "The Stone Tablet Saga" (but I would say #68-77).

REASONS: Same as yours.

As soon as you said the Stone Tablet Saga I knew that it was my choice, too, particularly when Silvermane comes in (#73). through #77*. 

*and whoever had the idea to bring Silvermane back later should have had their head examined.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Groups

Latest Activity

Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
"ISSUES #38-39: I have lived in Texas for 20 years now. I cannot always remember precisely when I…"
52 minutes ago
Dave Palmer replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Have we visited the Planet of Vampires yet this month? Pat Broderick inked by Neal Adams and Neal…"
1 hour ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
2 hours ago
JD DeLuzio replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"..."
3 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
7 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"This is by far the best description of the Stooges' appear I've ever read. It certainly…"
9 hours ago
The Baron replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"The Robonic Stooges is an adaptation of the short-lived (September 1977 - March 1978) cartoon…"
12 hours ago
Captain Comics replied to Wandering Sensei: Moderator Man's discussion What Comic Books Have You Read Today?
"MORE FCBD: BEGINNING THE GREEN LABELS FUZZY BASEBALL GREATEST HITS: FREE COMIC BOOK DAY…"
13 hours ago
Richard Willis replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"Thanking and shaking hands became my go-to behavior after an early negative Con experience getting…"
15 hours ago
Steve W replied to Steve W's discussion A Cover a Day
"I met Neal Adams once at a comic convention in the midlands about twelve/thirteen years ago. I…"
16 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Jeff of Earth-J's discussion Swamp Thing
""* I actually knew a woman named Treasure years ago." I knew one named Princess."
16 hours ago
Jeff of Earth-J replied to Randy Jackson's discussion Misheard lyrics you prefer to the original
"I just thought of one, from The Who's "Pure and Easy": Actual Lyric: All men are…"
16 hours ago

© 2022   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service