I remember, from years ago, a big, fascinating issue of Comics Buyer's Guide where the various writers, artists and editors involved were asked about the death of Gwen Stacy, in an effort to find out who
(among the Marvel staff) was the one who killed her.

I was wondering if anything similar had been done with the death of Iris Allen. With Flash #270, Ross Andru took over as editor, and the style of the book completely changed from Julius Schwartz's more lighthearted fare (although even he brought the book into somewhat dark territory with the possibility of infidelity with the Ringmaster saga some issues before).

So I wonder, who was it who wanted Iris dead? Was it Cary Bates, the writer (for both Andru & Schwarts, as well as for Len Wein who followed, and all the way through the end of Barry's run). Was it Ross Andru (the likeliest culprit, in my mind). Was it the publisher or editor-in-chief at the time? Jenette Kahn, Dick Giordano, Paul Levitz?

Ross Andru edited the book for about a year (issues 270-283), when the rogues pretty much disappeared and crime got more realistic (a ring of heroin smugglers; a Clockwork Orange-like prisoner experiment) and the stakes got higher (Iris is killed, Barry gets dosed). The darker tenor of the book in general, I'm pretty certain Andru is responsible for. But who signed off on offing Iris? Anyone know?

Views: 487

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Doesn't matter. She got better.

x<]:o){
ClarkKent_DC said:
Bob Ingersoll's criticisms in his "The Law Is An Ass" column of the "Trial of the Flash" story were a lot more entertaining than the actual tale.

Just the very slightest correction by an obsessive SAF - Mr. Ingersoll's column, and the quote from "Oliver" is "The Law Is A Ass." I know, I've played Mr. Bumble several times.

x<]:o){
Fiona had issues regarding that fact that there was an assassin out to kill her that looked like Barry Allen. Her mental fraility was brought up during the Trial though she wasn't seen afterwards. Wonder if they'll bring her back for the new series, at least for closure?

Also Wally is fond of calling Iris his aunt though she's more of an adopted one. Then there was an issue of "JLA" where Barry is talking to his brother-in-law which was odd since it wasn't Iris' "brother" (his last name wasn't West) and Barry doesn't have a sister!
Post-Crisis, Iris has an adopted brother, Rudy, and sister, Charlotte. Rudy is Wally's dad. It may not be a blood connection but she is Wally's aunt.
Fiona grew on me as time went on -- once she got less antagonistic toward Barry for the reasons Philip mentioned. But yeah, she was a mentally fragile lady, and I thought their relationship moved too fast toward marriage. But as a superheroe's wife, she could very well have filled the "Aunt May" role, of being too delicate to let her know the whole story. Ethically dubious for a husband...

And as for Eric's comment that Iris got better, it occurs to me that Iris getting better is probably the motivation for Johns having Prof. Zoom kill Barry's mom. That way there's still a murder between them, and that emotional component of their relationship can be explored, but at the same time Iris gets to be around anyway. In a way, Johns is having his cake and then going back in time and killing it, too.
Something else that's occurred to me -- two very similar circumstances between the death of Iris and the death of Sue Dibny in Identity Crisis.

1) Sue had just found out she was pregnant before she was killed. On what was probably their last night together, Iris and Barry had decided to have a baby.

2) Despite the flamethrower, Sue was killed by tiny footprints on her brain. Likewise, Iris was not killed by any exterior trauma, but instead by Professor Zoom vibrating his hand inter her brain.

Looks like we've found some other comics Brad Meltzer read when he was a kid!
1) Sue had just found out she was pregnant before she was killed. On what was probably their last night together, Iris and Barry had decided to have a baby.

Most couples go a few months or even years between conceiving the plan and conceiving the actual baby!

The Flash is fast in all things...

So how long was Iris dead for?
That she was still alive was one of the twists in the final issue of that volume of The Flash (#350). The explanation was, she was saved by the people of her own original time, who transferred her mind into the body of a recently deceased woman of their period. At the end of the issue the Flash went off to live with her in the future.(1)

This lead into his appearance in the first issue of Crisis, which came out several months earlier. As I recall, in that issue he's shown thinking that he's been living happily "here" a month. Later his image appears to Batman, who says or thinks something to the effect that he'd disappeared. According to the Time Machine at Mike's Amazing World of DC, Flash #350 came out the month before Barry's death in Crisis #8.

(1) Similarly the Earth One Wonder Woman married Steve Trevor in the final issue of the first volume of Wonder Woman, and was killed the same month in Crisis #12.
Thanks Luke.

Pre-Crisis 80s DC is completely unmapped territory to me.

At least they got their 'happy ever after' before they died ... a month later.

And of course, Whatever happened to the Man of Tomorrow was a completely imaginary story, as it can't really be tied into the CRISIS at all. As Moore declared it to be on the first page ...

And nice work on Meltzer's influences Rob.
I remember thinking that the happy ending of Flash #350 was hopeless false and cheap, considering he dies a month later. I felt very cheated as a young Mr. S
It was Flash's brief time in the early 30th century that allowed him and Iris to have children: Don and Dawn Allen AKA the Tornado Twins from "Adventure" #373(O'68) where they were introduced as Flash's descendents. They received his powers temporarily to promote Flash Day and to really annoy the Legionnaires. They later became the parents of Post-Crisis speedsters, Bart Allen (Impulse, Kid Flash II, Flash IV) and X-S.

I always thought it would have been cool if Flash had gotten some pre-Legion heroes together as a future JLA like Shadow Lass' father, Karate Kid's Sensei, Brainiac IV, etc. Maybe even some heroes who were mentioned like Hate-Face.

I will agree that Wonder Woman's marriage to Steve Trevor was a depressing event, more of a consolation than a celebration. Instead of furthering WW's career, it was more like *might as well before we erase her from the DC Universe*!
I thought it was the best they could do to give the Flash series a happy ending, even though Barry was doomed to die in Crisis. Beyond that (and the closing of a continuity hole), that future situation was Wolfman's secret "out" for the character:. If DC wanted him to return, Wolfman could have brought him back to the present from that time in those months, fully aware that he'd be going back to eventually die: A man racing on borrowed time, giving a new energy to the feature.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service