I remember, from years ago, a big, fascinating issue of Comics Buyer's Guide where the various writers, artists and editors involved were asked about the death of Gwen Stacy, in an effort to find out who
(among the Marvel staff) was the one who killed her.

I was wondering if anything similar had been done with the death of Iris Allen. With Flash #270, Ross Andru took over as editor, and the style of the book completely changed from Julius Schwartz's more lighthearted fare (although even he brought the book into somewhat dark territory with the possibility of infidelity with the Ringmaster saga some issues before).

So I wonder, who was it who wanted Iris dead? Was it Cary Bates, the writer (for both Andru & Schwarts, as well as for Len Wein who followed, and all the way through the end of Barry's run). Was it Ross Andru (the likeliest culprit, in my mind). Was it the publisher or editor-in-chief at the time? Jenette Kahn, Dick Giordano, Paul Levitz?

Ross Andru edited the book for about a year (issues 270-283), when the rogues pretty much disappeared and crime got more realistic (a ring of heroin smugglers; a Clockwork Orange-like prisoner experiment) and the stakes got higher (Iris is killed, Barry gets dosed). The darker tenor of the book in general, I'm pretty certain Andru is responsible for. But who signed off on offing Iris? Anyone know?

Views: 467

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Y'know who I hope Johns brings back? Detective Frank Curtis, Barry's bearded undercover cop friend from those days.
Phillip said: Fiona had issues regarding that fact that there was an assassin out to kill her that looked like Barry Allen. Her mental fraility was brought up during the Trial though she wasn't seen afterwards. Wonder if they'll bring her back for the new series, at least for closure?

Closure? After 25 years and a stack of Crises? Surely that's enough time for everyone to move on?
Well the fact that Barry had a fiance in Fiona who loved him and lost him through no fault of her own, that she had no clue to his fate, that she probably relapsed mentally and that Barry and Iris have reunited, maybe trying to explain things to her wouldn't be the worst idea, for her own peace of mind!

Figserello said:
Phillip said: Fiona had issues regarding that fact that there was an assassin out to kill her that looked like Barry Allen. Her mental fraility was brought up during the Trial though she wasn't seen afterwards. Wonder if they'll bring her back for the new series, at least for closure?

Closure? After 25 years and a stack of Crises? Surely that's enough time for everyone to move on?
Fiona Webb: Gorgeous and unstable. If I had a hand in directing the DCU, she'd start dating Ray Palmer...

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2021   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service