The title says it all, and CBR has the deets.

"The film (which doesn't have a title as of yet) will come from a screenplay by frequent Nolan collaborator David S. Goyer and will apparently feature the villain General Zod – made famous in the classic Richard Donner/Christopher Reeve versions of the character."

So the last Superman movie saw Superman vs. Lex Luthor and real estate, and now this one sees Superman vs. General Zod.

I swear I've seen this pattern before...

Views: 99

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

To me the most successful adaptions of Superman have been the live action TV shows - The Adventures of Superman and Smallville. Both series starred a like-able actor, who played Clark not as a bumbling doofus, but as a stand up character in his own right, and Superman as a decent guy behind the super powers looking out for the weak and innocent. Both series also featured strong supporting casts, and it was the chemistry between the actors that made both shows successful not special effects or villains.

The things I hope not to see in the next Superman movie -
-yet another origin story.
-sexual encounters or marriage between Lois and Clark.
-Lex Luthor.
The less-than-ecstatic response to Superman Returns likely had more to do with it being a boring retread of a fondly remembered movie, led by a miscast lead with all the charm of a brick. Brandon Routh is good-looking, and I'm sure he meant well, but between this movie and his run on Chuck last year, I'm baffled as to why anybody in Hollywood thought he could act.

The Baron said:

Awesome. I've never seen that one before.

The Baron said:

I'm stealing this for my facebook page...
Bear in mind, I have no idea where it came from.

The Baron said:
Bear in mind, I have no idea where it came from.

Awesometown
Pretty sure that's Scaffenberger on the art, though...

Superman looks a bit 'Mad Magazine'.

To me the most successful adaptions of Superman have been the live action TV shows - The Adventures of Superman and Smallville. Both series starred a like-able actor, who played Clark not as a bumbling doofus, but as a stand up character in his own right, and Superman as a decent guy behind the super powers looking out for the weak and innocent. Both series also featured strong supporting casts, and it was the chemistry between the actors that made both shows successful not special effects or villains.

I agree that the TV series show that Superman is still much loved and has a special place in the culture beyond fanboy circles. I'd add that Lois and Clark was also hugely popular, making a bigger dent on the pop culture of the time than perhaps Smallville has. Smallville has a loyal following, and has managed to stick around longer than Lois and Clark, but L&C made a big impression in the first few seasons, and Hatcher was a bigger star for a while than any of the Smallville folk. Dean Cain was better at playing Superman as petty and vindictive than other emotions though...

However, people go to superhero movies for different things than they watch TV series. There's no point doing a movie unless it's bigger than life, and full of special effects action. If nothing else, you don't have time to draw out complex relationships and highlight all the different facets of them in 2 hours. That's only 2.5 episodes of a show!

I'd say the Morrison JLA template is the way to go. Assume at the outset that people know and love the characters and then take them on a plot-driven rollercoaster ride, with each threat being bigger and crazier than the last.
I completely agree. Movies ought to be bigger than life.

The one thing I want in a Superman movie, however? No Lex Luthor! Every single one of the movies featured him. (Superman III is no exception; at the time, Gene Hackman wasn't interested in coming back, and Robert Vaughn's character is Luthor in all but name.)
Yes. Give us Braniac -- an intergalactic threat/infiltration Lois discovers traces of because of her super-reporting, and Clark is able to discover the implications of and confront head-on before Braniac is quite ready to reveal itself.

Big! Galactic! Threat!

It should be huge. He's Superman.
I would like someone, anyone to suspect that Clark is Superman! Just so I know that their brains are functioning properly!

And I second "no-sex-with-Lois" especially if she made to forget it!

Maybe they should make Zod a baker. "KNEAD BEFORE ZOD!"
If my memory isn't playing tricks, the Superman Returns panel is from a website which had a collection of humorously relettered panels (probably inspired by John Lustig's Last Kiss). The other one I recall had Thor telling a policeman that his existence refutes his "Judeo-Christian beliefs". I think someone linked to the site on the old board, but I can't find the thread.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Welcome!

No flame wars. No trolls. But a lot of really smart people.The Captain Comics Round Table tries to be the friendliest and most accurate comics website on the Internet.

SOME ESSENTIALS:

RULES OF THE ROUND TABLE

MODERATORS

SMILIES FOLDER

TIPS ON USING THE BOARD

FOLLOW US:

OUR COLUMNISTS:

Groups

© 2020   Captain Comics, board content ©2013 Andrew Smith   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service